This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW Optimus Prime Ongoing Discussion Thread

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Re: IDW Optimus Prime Ongoing Discussion Thread

Postby Deadput » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:22 pm

Motto: "Let's kick the tires and light the fires!"
Weapon: Fusion Blaster Cannon
Randomhero wrote:Am I the only one super confused by the art credits? This first couple pages look like Alex Milne(the humans especially) and later it looks like Zama’s stile of humans.

God damn it I did not notice this until you said it now it's bugging the hell outta me.
Va'al wrote:
Deadput wrote:Actually I don't know my mother's name is Valerie so is Va'al actually my mother?

Yes. Now go to your room and don't play with yourself.

Deadput
Faction Commander
News Credits: 54
Alt Mode: A mec suit for redundancy.
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 9
Endurance: 3
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10
Skill: 5

Postby Randomhero » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:14 pm

Deadput wrote:
Randomhero wrote:Am I the only one super confused by the art credits? This first couple pages look like Alex Milne(the humans especially) and later it looks like Zama’s style of humans.

God damn it I did not notice this until you said it now it's bugging the hell outta me.

Maybe it’s just the inks and colors but it doesn’t look like Sara’s art at all. Those faces just scream Alex Milne especially the noses and eyes. Even the proportions don’t look like her style.

It’s just throwing me off so much. I’m not saying it’s not her but it’s apples and oranges compared to Till All Are one. I know she hasn’t drawn humans in IDW but those also look like Alex and like Zama’s styles

Gotta be the inks and coloring. Especially unlike TAAO transformers who are all pretty much one color. Sorry but I don’t understand why everyone is pretty much one color except Starscream and Windblade. For the love of god make Elita, chroma, circuit and obsidian more than just one blob of color.
Randomhero
Gestalt
News Credits: 3

Postby Deadput » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:21 am

Motto: "Let's kick the tires and light the fires!"
Weapon: Fusion Blaster Cannon
These inconsistencies are a part of why I consider comics to be inferior to shows animated or live action.

I prefer an actual book as well since the constant art shifts are annoying it's like if a cartoon changed styles every few episodes.
Va'al wrote:
Deadput wrote:Actually I don't know my mother's name is Valerie so is Va'al actually my mother?

Yes. Now go to your room and don't play with yourself.

Deadput
Faction Commander
News Credits: 54
Alt Mode: A mec suit for redundancy.
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 9
Endurance: 3
Skill: 5

Postby Randomhero » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:24 am

Deadput wrote:These inconsistencies are a part of why I consider comics to be inferior to shows animated or live action.

I prefer an actual book as well since the constant art shifts are annoying it's like if a cartoon changed styles every few episodes.

Well that’s actually most cartoons. For transformers G1 had three different studios drawing episodes. 2001 RID and animated and Armada did as well.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby ScottyP » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:16 am

Weapon: Battle Blades
There are a great deal of line artists on this one. I'd presume something unplanned happened and they had to pivot and get pages done through various last minute arrangements. This will be the first issue of OP to not come out during its scheduled release month and that could be why as well. Just speculating though. The book has been leaning on the style Zama and Burcham put together, but it seems to be getting harder for them to schedule Zama far enough in advance.

Again, just noting some complete, probably nonsense speculation. I'd prefer a little more consistency as well.
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 637
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

IDW Optimus Prime #11 Review

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:33 am

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
Rise of the C Team
A Seibertron.com review of IDW Optimus Prime #11

Synposis

With Optimus Prime embroiled in the FIRST STRIKE event, the Autobots on Earth set off on a mission to find one of their own—before anti-Cybertronian humans get to him first!

Me when Slide talks

Story

Arriving a smidgen late, we finally catch back up with the Optimus Prime cast who are on Earth, while the title character has been involved with the First Strike event, which is shown to kick off this issue to our characters.

Words of Wisdom

And overall, we definitely had some good content to the issue. I appreciated the way things were handled leading up to the first explosion on Cybertron and then the loss of communications, with appropriate reactions from everyone present on Earth. I also liked the way we got the small colonists team to assemble and head off, and this group provides us with some great insights into the current Optimus Prime and how he is perceived.

The in-fighting of the group has some interesting moments that I appreciated, with Slide still holding a massive grudge, Aileron showing the signs that she no longer believes in the Prime, and the other colonists starting to question themselves and everything happening as well. Considering everything that has happened in this book so far, and with the IDW world concerning Earth as a whole, I feel everything here is real, believable, and overall provides some great tension to the book, enough so to keep interest in the book and to keep a good pace going. A lot happened in the book, with First Strike, Earth and Cybertron reactions, the C team, and the Jazz and Cybertronian weapons storylines. There was a lot of material tied together with appropriate character tension and a very good pace.

These gals, I tell ya

One final note to the story: the cameos are brilliant in this story. I loved that we got both positive, negative, and neutral perspectives from so many characters in this story. And the character choices were pretty great too. Dirge finally showing back up, Serena Bharwaney after all this time, some more Jimmy Pink (wonder when he and Verity will meet again? No reason why they shouldn't), the Action Man program, and many others. 3 pages were dedicated to interviews/cameos, and they contributed to the story without holding it down and while still provided us with some great catch up moments for some of these characters.

Bumblebee mini-series, still impacting the world today

Art

Now while the story side of the issue was pretty great, the art is where this issue gets some points deducted. The story made things fairly good to follow, but the art was hard to follow. There were 4 artists who worked on this issue, with Sara Pitre-Durocher handling the majority, covering the first 8 pages. Fico Ossio, the artist of Revolution, covered 5 pages, while regular series artist Kei Zama covered 3 pages and artist Paolo Villanelli covered 4 pages.

Musical Artists

While all 4 are very capable artists, the differences in styles were really jarring for the issue, and at times confusing. The first 8 pages under Pitre-Durocher were really well handled, with everything fitting in right, well drawn characters, and good expressions. the 3 pages featuring the interviews were done by Zama, and those 3 pages were covered very well too. I enjoy Zama's art, especially with Burcham doing the coloring, and those pages really shined. And those 8 pages of continuity and the 3 pages of interviews were the only real smooth part of the art, and it didn't help that the interview pages were all separated by several pages.

Ossio did his best, but I am still not a fan of his art with the Transformers style, especially with the faces. Slide especially seems to suffer in this department, which is unfortunate considering her major role in the story. It also did not help that Ossio's art was broken up by a Zama page. Villanelli did his level best, and he got off a little better considering his art was for the last 4 pages, but his style was a good bit different from Ossio's, who immediately preceded him. His art also felt a bit plain, with very sort of flat and featureless expressions and styles for his Autobots.

A whole new kind of Rollout

Throughout the whole issue, Josh Burcham provided colors, and he did his level best to keep things running smoothly. I've always been a fan of Burcham's work, and the fact that his colors work with 4 quite different artistic styles and still look good are a testament to his abilities.

Tom B. Long once more tackles the lettering, and once again we are not disappointed. He does a great job with the different speech tones and speech positioning, making sure never to block any potentially important part of the art and letting us really enjoy it while keeping the speech space to a minimum.

Final Thoughts

A common sight nowadays

This issue of Optimus Prime was overall a good experience. While it wasn't the best issue to write home about, it set the groundwork for the First Strike crossover (already underway), it set up a good story about the colonists and their relation with Prime, and it got a lot accomplished making sure everything First Strike related was ready. There was a lot happening, yet the issue was not overcrowded or rushed. Pacing was perfect. The real thing holding the issue back was the combination of artists and the differing styles making visuals a bit harder to follow, but coloring managed to mitigate that as best it could.

In conclusion: pretty good story with some interesting character directions set and some great interactions between characters of all races and factions. I am excited to see how this arc continues with Jazz, the colonists, and Prime.

:MAXIMAL: :MAXIMAL: :MAXIMAL: 1/2 out of :MAXIMAL: :MAXIMAL: :MAXIMAL: :MAXIMAL: :MAXIMAL:
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 8

Postby Daniel Adkins » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:33 am

I love how they established a living descendant to John Henry from Hearts of Steel. Hope he isn't just a one-off character.
Daniel Adkins
Fuzor
News Credits: 16
Watch Daniel Adkins on YouTube

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:36 am

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Daniel Adkins wrote:I love how they established a living descendant to John Henry from Hearts of Steel. Hope he isn't just a one-off character.

i liked that too. Had to throw that in there after Hearts of Steel became canon
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby Randomhero » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:20 pm

I’m getting really burned about with slide. It’s just becoming a broken record. Just leave. Go back to your colony and just start over. Instead it’s “I don’t believe in the Prime anymore and I just want to walk around and complain and remind everyone I can’t transform even though I have complete ability to change modes or even have my spark and brain transferred to another body that can give me my own mode. Megatron is on his 4th body in this universe. Same as starscream What? I’m not suppose to talk about the ability to change forms or even convert bodies at any point to car or tank or jet or boat or even a memeory stick because it conflicts with the ridiculous functionism back story James Roberts created? Okay... I’ll jusy keep complaining in every issue until there’s some resolution...”
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:26 am

I actually feel some similar thoughts. Slide is a great big sore thumb in the story, she's getting on level with Anode for characters the just piss me off
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby ScottyP » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:52 am

Weapon: Battle Blades
I've seen complaining here and elsewhere about the characterization of the colonists so far in this book, and I think some impatience is happening. They've barely been around until this issue and this is the surface of breaking them out of their one dimensional starting point as religious zealots. Give it time!

As for Aileron, I need to go find an image. Bbl.
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 637
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby Randomhero » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:45 am

ScottyP wrote:I've seen complaining here and elsewhere about the characterization of the colonists so far in this book, and I think some impatience is happening. They've barely been around until this issue and this is the surface of breaking them out of their one dimensional starting point as religious zealots. Give it time!

As for Aileron, I need to go find an image. Bbl.

Slide has been complaining and singing the same song since issue 6. It just comes down to "if you don't believe in why you're here anymore than why are you here?" That's the question to ask. This isn't like pyra manga who shares the same ideas toward Optimus, she's there because she wants the matrix.

She gets ticked they they bury Oiler on New Cybertron but doesn't stop them. Sideswipe was taken back to Cybertron to be buried or whatever they do with their dead and yet Oiler is buried on earth and she just complains about it
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby Va'al » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:59 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
But Slide has every right about feeling torn apart by her disillusion.

As Scotty says, this is the beginning of their actual development since that disillusion happened, and I feel that the complaints (from Slide, not about him) were the bookmark from Barber to come back to the point once he had the space to write more about them without involving the entire Hasbro Universe.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Randomhero » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:10 pm

Va'al wrote:But Slide has every right about feeling torn apart by her disillusion.

As Scotty says, this is the beginning of their actual development since that disillusion happened, and I feel that the complaints (from Slide, not about him) were the bookmark from Barber to come back to the point once he had the space to write more about them without involving the entire Hasbro Universe.

True but this also isn't the first time in johns book where people stand around and complain about someone's views and leadership -COUGH METALHAWK-COUGH BUMBLEBEE-COUGH-

For me it's just the first year of RID again withthe nails standing around complaining.

For a better way of handling people doubting Optimus would have been Slide actually leaving and breaking up the colonist autobots. She Yoko Onos the group and seeing one of their own lose complete faith and abandon their cause. For me that's more compelling because like i said I don't know why she is still there other than to be a negative Nancy
Randomhero
Gestalt

Re: IDW Optimus Prime #11 Review

Postby RacerCheetor » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:13 am

Motto: "Interesting? *Mrow!* Optimus, the word is spot on smooth. *Prrrrr* It's a crime."
Weapon: Quasar Cannon
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:[center]Image

Gimlet & Bump??
RacerCheetor
Mini-Con
News Credits: 2

Re: IDW Optimus Prime #11 Review

Postby Kurona » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:54 am

Motto: "Don't forget to subscribe to the official Doctor Who youtube channel"
Weapon: Temperature Variant H20 Gun
RacerCheetor wrote:
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:[center]Image

Gimlet & Bump??

Yup! They're part of the little rag-tag group of characters that make up the colonists; being fairly obscure characters from all corners of the franchise. You've got Gimlet and Bump - like you said - from Japanese BW, Rail Racer from RiD, Slide (and previously Oiler) from the G1 Micromaster Combiners, and Roulette from 2003's OTFCC (essentially the Botcon of back then).
Kurona
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 191
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 2
Endurance: 1
Courage: 3
Firepower: 1
Skill: 2

iTunes Preview for IDW Optimus Prime #12 #Transformers

Postby WreckerJack » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:08 pm

Motto: "The complain train is leaving the station."
Weapon: Arc-Welders
We now have a short preview of IDW Optimus Prime via iTunes. We have posted the preview below so that you can read it too. A quick thanks to our very own Soundwave902 for pointing this out to us. It is currently up for pre-orders with an expected release on November 1, 2017.

Description
With Optimus Prime trapped on Cybertron, the Autobots track down their missing friend, Jazz—and find themselves under fire from humans armed with Cybertronian weapons!

If you are a fan of TF comics and live in the UK, James Roberts and Jack Lawrence will be doing an autograph signing!

WreckerJack
Godmaster
News Credits: 295
Strength: 7
Speed: 5
Endurance: 8
Firepower: 7

Postby Randomhero » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:59 pm

I love Kai's art but it's good see Andrew back drawing these characters again. You can really tell taking some time off has improved his art. He's an artist that gets better and better over one.

It's funny to see slugslingers little titan master arms on the side of his head. He's not a Titan master obviously but it's funny to see
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby SG Roadbuster » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:15 pm

"i hope Cybertron is ok"
d'awwwwwwww Buzzsaw.
SG Roadbuster
Minibot

Postby President-prime » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:34 pm

I really have no need for those pretender shall. Why bring them back. Didn't sell late eighties, won't sell now. The bra/front backpack looks stupid. Why would I even display my toys like that. I normally don't care. But think this design choice was poor. I remembered back in 2003, some guy brought in all the prentenders in perfect conditions to sell to me. Remembered didn't even want to shell out $100 for all of them. No scratches no discoloration. Blah!
President-prime
Fuzor
Buy from President-prime on eBay

Postby President-prime » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:35 pm

Sorry I think I pressed the wrong thread
President-prime
Fuzor
Buy from President-prime on eBay

Postby Twitchythe3rd » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:47 pm

Motto: "Embrace the coming oblivion."
Weapon: Black Magic
Good to see the running gag of Laserbeak and Buzzsaw's commentary is back.
Twitchythe3rd
Brainmaster
News Credits: 2
Intelligence: 5
Endurance: 4
Skill: 7

Postby Kurona » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:07 am

Motto: "Don't forget to subscribe to the official Doctor Who youtube channel"
Weapon: Temperature Variant H20 Gun
"Master of Targets". Hah! Cute.

I honestly think this is my favourite TF book now. Though I might be biased since we're back to the Decepticon Colony; one of my favourite parts of the OP side of things -- and especially that we're there with Thundercracker and Cosmos, who I love with all my heart :x
Kurona
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 191
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 2
Endurance: 1
Courage: 3
Firepower: 1
Skill: 2

Postby Randomhero » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:02 am

Kurona wrote:"Master of Targets". Hah! Cute.

I honestly think this is my favourite TF book now. Though I might be biased since we're back to the Decepticon Colony; one of my favourite parts of the OP side of things -- and especially that we're there with Thundercracker and Cosmos, who I love with all my heart :x

I very much agree. I enjoy the situations in OP but even I'm starting to feel it's getting stale and while I don't want the war to return I want to see more Decepticons than Soundwave especially if we're not gonna get a scene of Optimus apologizing for full blown blackmailing him. THAT NEEDS YO HAPPEN! They're friends now and Soundwave is without announcing it his second in command.

Plus I'm still waiting for Galvatrons return. His head is still somewhere and I still don't believe he was ever alive. He came out of the Dead Universe and could always survive out of it and theres never been any indications that he came back fully alive so I think he'll be back.
Randomhero
Gestalt

IDW Optimus Prime Volume 3 TPB Listing on Amazon.com

Postby Va'al » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:28 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Courtesy of Amazon.com, we have a date and an idea of what will be contained in the third volume of the ongoing Transformers comic book series Optimus Prime, from IDW Publishing! Not only will it run during issues 11 to 14, but will also include the First Strike tie-ins to do with the Transformers themselves, i.e. the two-parter in Optimus Prime and Transformers. Check out more info on this book release next July, and the Lafuente cover below!

New threats emerge, both on Cybertron and Earth, as the saga of Optimus Prime and the Autobots continues. What new future will the Transformers face?

With Optimus Prime trapped on Cybertron, embroiled in the First Strike event, the Autobots on Earth set off on a mission to find their missing friend, Jazz. But anti-Cybertronian humans are after him as well, and they're armed with Cybertronian weapons!

Then, in the wake of First Strike, Optimus ventures into the wilderness of Cybertron to search for the first new Cybertronian life to emerge in four million years! And, as if that's not enough to deal with, he soon finds himself facing off with the Dinobots, whose newest member is two miles tall and eats cities!

Collects Transformers: Optimus Prime issues #11-14 and the Optimus Prime: First Strike and Transformers: First Strike one-shots.

Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "HIGHBROW + XORT Transformers Titans Return Deluxe complete Hasbro 2016 231208U"
NEW!
HIGHBROW + XORT Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS UNIVERSE #2 Marvel Comics 1987 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 230926T"
TRANSFORMERS UNIVE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SCATTERSHOT Transformers Combiner Wars Voyager complete Betatron 2016 230903A"
SCATTERSHOT Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ONLAUGHT Transformers Combiner Wars Voyager complete Bruticus 2016 230903A"
ONLAUGHT Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MOTORMASTER Transformers Combiner Wars Voyager complete Menasor 2015 230903A"
MOTORMASTER Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "QUAKE + CHASM Transformers Titans Return Deluxe complete Hasbro 2017 231208H"
NEW!
QUAKE + CHASM Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Classics Universe Animated Legends 2008 230615A"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TREAD BOLT Transformers Universe Voyager complete + instructions 2008 230920A"
NEW!
TREAD BOLT Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MEGATRON Transformers Classics Deluxe complete Hasbro 2006 230809A"
NEW!
MEGATRON Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MINDSET Transformers Generations Reveal Shield Deluxe complete 2011 230920A"
NEW!
MINDSET Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SHOCKWAVE Transformers Combiner Wars Legends Class complete Hasbro 2016 230713A"
SHOCKWAVE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "LIFT-TICKET Transformers Legacy Deluxe Generations Selects Hasbro 2022 New"
LIFT-TICKET Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-GS23 DEEP COVER Transformers Generations Selects Deluxe Hasbro 2021 New"
WFC-GS23 DEEP COVE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MAGNIFICUS Transformers Legacy Deluxe Generations Selects Hasbro 2023 New"
MAGNIFICUS Transfo ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #346 - Gas Station Jamboree
Twincast / Podcast #346:
"Gas Station Jamboree"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 23rd, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Twin Twist and Flameout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Optimal Optimus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Megatron Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Fusion Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 11.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Rippersnapper" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Sinnertwin" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Windblade and Scorchfire" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Power Charge Bumblebee Action Figure - Spinning Core, Lights and Sounds - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 10.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 04 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Ratchet" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Menasor Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Bumblebee Evolution 3-Pack (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Fortress Maximus" on AMAZON