This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW Optimus Prime Ongoing Discussion Thread

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Re: IDW Optimus Prime Ongoing Discussion Thread

Postby WreckerJack » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:03 am

Motto: "The complain train is leaving the station."
Weapon: Arc-Welders
I only saw the original cars movie. I was 16 when it came out and my Grandpa wanted to take me and I was trying to make excuses not to go because I was "too old" to go to kid movies. He kept asking so I finally caved in. It was actually a pretty good movie and now that I am older I am glad I did even if I felt goofy at the time. Grandparents are limited edition. Spend time with em while you have them because you will miss them.

I might watch the sequels for old times sake at some point though.
WreckerJack
Godmaster
News Credits: 295
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 5
Endurance: 8
Courage: 7
Firepower: 7
Skill: 8

Postby AlphaBass » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:14 am

There are many, MANY examples where the sequel surpasses the original in terms of quality.

Cars 2 is not an example.
AlphaBass
Micromaster
News Credits: 1

Postby ScottyP » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:11 am

Weapon: Battle Blades
:Reads review samples that a few of us get:

Do not read even one page of 18 before 17. Don't do it. Don't do it. You'll want to but wow, indeed, don't you dare do it.

Page 1 of 18 gives you the super high level cliff's notes of 17 and you'll be pissed at yourself for checking it. Consider yourself warned, again! :)
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 637
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby KorsO » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:02 am

Noted ScottyP. Bout time these issues came out. Though occupied, the time gap felt like an eternity. 2 issues really does make up for it. lol
KorsO
Mini-Con

Full Preview for IDW Transformers Optimus Prime #17

Postby Va'al » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:48 pm

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Thanks to regular source for this type of comics news Multiversity Comics, we now have the full preview for next week's issue of the IDW Publishing ongoing Transformers series Optimus Prime! Issue 17 is the one shown below, though both 17 and 18 will be released on Wednesday - and as we have told you in our previous story, avoid ALL previews for issue 18 until you've read the one below.

Check it out, and share your thoughts on where this series is leading in its penultimate arc in the Energon Pub!

Written by John Barber
Art and cover by Kei Zama
Colored by Josh Burcham
Lettered by Tom B. Long

“The Falling,” Part 3: Onyx Prime sows the seeds of chaos and panic on Cybertron as he reveals dark secrets… but nothing will prepare Optimus Prime and his allies for Onyx’s darkest revelation!

FC • 32 pages • $3.99
Variant cover by Thomas Deer!

Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Double Review of IDW Transformers Optimus Prime #17 & #18

Postby Va'al » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:44 am

A Prime is a Prime is a Prime
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis
“The Falling,” Part 3: Onyx Prime sows the seeds of chaos and panic on Cybertron as he reveals dark secrets… but nothing will prepare Optimus Prime and his allies for Onyx’s darkest revelation!

“The Falling,” Interlude. All hope seems lost as Onyx Prime confronts Optimus—but why has Onyx returned? What’s his ultimate goal? Millions of years worth of mysteries are solved as the secret history of Onyx Prime is finally revealed!

and we're here to tell you

Story
If you read the synopsis section just above, you will notice that there are two of them rather than the single issue - that is because this week, and this review, has two issue of the Optimus Prime ongoing series being released by IDW Publishing. To avoid spoilers as much as possible, we decided to talk about both in the same text, and I am taking extra care to talk more about narrative and execution than plot specifically. Nothing different than usual, just a little more vagueness, if you'll bear with me.

yeah, pretty much

With that all said and out of the way, then: John Barber has decided to take a very different turn for The Falling. Weird, even. His writing hasn't shied away from time displacement and travel, black hole paradoxes, and the consequences of all of the above notions at play (just look at Syndromica and Dark Cybertron, or even Revolutionaries). But here, we reach a whole new level of temporal and narrative freedom - to varying degrees of success.

His words, not mine

In #17, the story continues, as the aftermath of Soundwave's actions in #16 is addressed and Onyx Primal gets more terrifying by the frame in his actions, words, and clear direction forward (which looks a lot like backwards). And it's a build-up that reverberates with a lot of the themes address in the series so far, with Aileron taking the narration spot and looking at the category of Primes and heroes from a vantage point, really.

which may or may not be sideways

Then we have a reveal. A big one. A narrative, time-shattering one, on the very last page. And issue #18 (aptly named Interlude) deals with this instead, charging the story being told in a way that is yes, entirely exposition, but exposition that is surprisingly well woven and doesn't feel like a pause too long or any kind of slog.

So where is the variation in the success I mention? General agreement on staff was that not everything landed immediately but, at the same time, risks were taken and the pay-off is yet fully to come with more of the arc to follow in the coming months. And the aspects played upon in these issues are not entirely out of nowhere, in Barber's repertoire and I'm very pleased with the editing assist of David Mariotte, keeping all things in check as Barber lets himself loose.

Art

In #17, Kei Zama and Josh Burcham are - I think - showing off their skills. We have a ridiculous range of emotive and dynamic in frame layouts, with interactions being silent as the overwhelming and overpowering presence of Onyx takes up most of the space. Things get out of hand, and space and colour are used to the best of their effects, with some truly incredible compositions and transformation sequences, too.

You Are (Not) Alone

In #18, Sara Pitre Durocher offers the general framework of the current events (opening and closing), along with colours by master of technicolour continuity Burcham - both of whom, together, maintain the stage in the same light and tone as the final act of the previous issue, and chillingly set up the Interlude story.

Livio Ramondelli has the main duties for the latter, and his style, once more, proves perfectly suited to the past, mythology infused Weird!Barber script. The Aligned continuity that once was part of another narrative universe definitely takes shape and form in his lines and colours, and the Primes of old can easily be identified in their rise and expansion - awingly so.

#Imperialism

There is little more that can be said about Tom B. Long's work on lettering for these books, but as Barber (and Mariotte) stick to their captioning and name tagging techniques, his fonts and placing don't skip a beat, and allow for the story - with a lot of exposition, as I said - to flow as organically as a twisted story as this one can.

The covers are multiple, and glorious, with the main ones taken care of by Zama and Burcham, including some clear lineart of Solus Prime from the former, and Casey Coller / JP Bove for issue #17's B cover (in the style of its predecessors, as seen in our database, plus the #18 Megatronus variant from Livio Ramondelli (others also in database!). But the one featured in the thumbnail is Thomas Teyowisonte Deer's gorgeous take on the Autobot leader, the Arisen, and seemingly the pivot of the entire storyline.

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

As I said above, Barber has taken the weird, paradox route, and by doing so taking some really big risks that may not please a section of the readership (and unfortunately proving some clichés about comics narratives in general in the doing, too) - but, some of those risks are still not fully revealed, and where they may not work in these issues for now, two more chapters of The Falling are still due before the final arc. In the words of Onyx, this is indeed just the prelude to the finale, and we are bound to return to its topics and characters very very soon.

I still have doubts. On everything

The multiple art teams, with Burcham working as continuity lynchpin, do some wonders with what could've been an extremely, frustratingly confusing story, and the aftermath of Onyx's arrival is dealt with in perhaps the most personal and brutal way that this series has seen this far - also partly due to Aileron's perspective, and Soundwave's involvement. I do not believe we are seeing the entire truth, yet, but next month will confirm suspicions - and let me tell you, I am buzzing.

. :BH-PREDACON: :BH-PREDACON: :BH-PREDACON: :BH-PREDACON: out of :BH-PREDACON: :BH-PREDACON: :BH-PREDACON: :BH-PREDACON: :BH-PREDACON:
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby ZeroWolf » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:13 am

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
An excellent review va'al, and it must have been hard reviewing both 17 and 18 together and fighting the urge to talk more about the bombshells of 18. I will ask this though, was there anything presented that you make will be important for unicron?
Got news for Seibertron? Share it here!
ZeroWolf
News Admin
News Credits: 1350

Postby Bounti76 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:59 am

Weapon: Vibro-Axe
Just read them both, and all I can think is. ...damn. I never thought I'd say this, but this is even more convoluted than the average issue of Lost Light. And I don't know if I mean that in a bad way or a good way.
Bounti76
News Staff
News Credits: 376
Strength: 5
Speed: 5
Endurance: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: 6

Postby Va'al » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:21 am

ZeroWolf wrote:An excellent review va'al, and it must have been hard reviewing both 17 and 18 together and fighting the urge to talk more about the bombshells of 18. I will ask this though, was there anything presented that you make will be important for unicron?

Thank you! It was less hard than I thought, given how the story is presented in #18.

As for the latter point: I actually don't. I think The Falling will lead to the Unicron event, but not in a direct manner. It'll use points that are being shown and developed here, perhaps, but nothing directly tied in, if that makes sense.

I may be entirely wrong, but that's what I think so far!
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Randomhero » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:46 am

my jaw dropped. I haven’t been this surprised since the reveal at the end of shadowplay. Shockwave is my favorite character in every fiction so I’m bias but man...I’m extremely happh with where this is all going.
Randomhero
Gestalt
News Credits: 3

Postby ScottyP » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:57 am

Bounti76 wrote:Just read them both, and all I can think is. ...damn. I never thought I'd say this, but this is even more convoluted than the average issue of Lost Light. And I don't know if I mean that in a bad way or a good way.
It took me a few days to process it, but I think I like it. It's somewhat based on assumption that everything is still not what it seems.

I do most definitely like it when Barber gets experimental, and this arc has been stuffed full of it so far.
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 637
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby Randomhero » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:22 am

If anyone hasn’t go to TFWIKI and read the article for number 18. It will make your head spin.

Barber told me on Twitter this is a story he’s been planting seeds in for over 4 years now and it insane.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby ZeroWolf » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:40 am

At least he's been given the opportunity to reap that harvest.
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby Randomhero » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:09 pm

Just realized a few issues ago Bludgeon said his master was returning. Well...he did lol
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby AlphaBass » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:37 pm

Really enjoyed the review, Va'al.

I feel like this is the kind of mind-bending reveal that LL tried but failed to be able to do. I wasn't thinking of getting into OP, but after all this. I may have to change my mind.

Question - what issue is best to start from?
AlphaBass
Micromaster

Postby Daniel Adkins » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:57 pm

AlphaBass wrote:Really enjoyed the review, Va'al.

I feel like this is the kind of mind-bending reveal that LL tried but failed to be able to do. I wasn't thinking of getting into OP, but after all this. I may have to change my mind.

I’ve been telling folks that they’re sleeping on Optimus Prime. This book has consistently blown LL out of the freaking water, and issues 17 and 18 are the perfect encapsulation of that.

As for the best place to start? I’d say read The Death of Optimus Prime, then go to Transformers: Robots in Disguise #1.
Daniel Adkins
Fuzor
News Credits: 16
Watch Daniel Adkins on YouTube

Postby Sunstar » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:08 pm

Motto: "All hail Lord Starscream"
Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Wow... Quite the bombshell.

Its gonna take a while to process this.
"We, Decepticons, are a swell bunch. And boy do we have fun." - Starscream
"You're one of...those, Never understood why any self respecting Decepticon would choose auto-mobile as his vehicle mode when he could have flight." - Starscream
"For a guy hearing voices of the dead, you've got a pretty insensitive view of Mental Health" - Bumblebee
Starscream's Shrine ~ Fan Art ~Collection~Sunstar's Discord - join today!
Sunstar
Gestalt
News Credits: 38
Alt Mode: Tetra Jet
Strength: 8
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 9
Courage: 7
Skill: 9

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:01 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
Wow, just wow.... I don't think I've ever been stunned as hard as I was here. I read that last part of 17, my jaw dropped, and I sat in silence for several minutes just staring into nowhere and thinking.

First off, that was an incredible job getting Shockwave in like that. And there was no clue even given this would happen, but then it did, and it makes complete logical sense. Everything about it fits, and it makes a great curveball that Barber does not use, but he killed it here.

It's awesome looking back at everything, and then you realize Shockwave basically did everything, he made the Cybertronian universe as it is. And this also makes him the oldest Cybertronian in this continuity behind only Kup, and probably the 2nd oldest Cybertronian ever between all the various continuities.

I find it kinda metal and cool and disturbing that Shockwave killed and then wore Onyx basically to set up Cybertronian history. And that everything he did helped his younger self with all of the ores and the Primes and everything. All of that, how he knew it, how Alpha Trion fit it and everything, it all works.

I also liked how we got a group shot of the Primes, and it included a bit of the Arisen. I really want to see where that goes.

I love Zama's Solus cover too. That may be my favorite cover of OP so far, it's marvelous.

Finally, If Shockwave had won the PotP pole, I wonder if they would have done this :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Strength: 5
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8

Postby AlphaBass » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:29 pm

Randomhero wrote:If anyone hasn’t go to TFWIKI and read the article for number 18. It will make your head spin.

Barber told me on Twitter this is a story he’s been planting seeds in for over 4 years now and it insane.

I know it may seem like a stretch, but reading the entry, it's insane how this all ties together, especially when you look at exactly what his ship is.

Combine that with the "in your face" hints - the single eye spaceship, Bumblebee being alive, him basically planting the Primes where he would put his ores - and Shockwave being alive is the kind of twist I can't help but applaud.
AlphaBass
Micromaster

Postby AlphaBass » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:10 pm

Also, I like how the wiki changed Shockwave's pic on his page from "IDW is mostly his fault" to "IDW is ENTIRELY his fault".

I LOL'd. Well done.
AlphaBass
Micromaster

Postby Va'al » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:09 am

My favourite Ratchet panel from Lost Light #17, which I felt was also commenting on Optimus Prime 17-18.

Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Randomhero » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:05 am

FROM THE BEGINNING!

I dont care what anyone says “oh start at death of Optimus prime” “start here with this issue”

No read it all! It deserves it! You might not like one story or one series but so much got called back by James Roberts and John barber that the entire universe deserves to be looked at because as of now it’s now it’s finite so just take the time
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby ZeroWolf » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:19 am

Randomhero wrote:

FROM THE BEGINNING!

I dont care what anyone says “oh start at death of Optimus prime” “start here with this issue”

No read it all! It deserves it! You might not like one story or one series but so much got called back by James Roberts and John barber that the entire universe deserves to be looked at because as of now it’s now it’s finite so just take the time

Very true, and there is routes available online and physical for those who wish to read everything this continuity offered
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby Randomhero » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:20 am

Read the cross overs too. I know plenty don’t like them but I do so let yourself be the judge of them. Only series I can say you can skip-not because it bad but it just doesn’t call back to anything- transformers vs avengers. Yes, spotlight ramjet is a sequel to it but I read ramjet first and didn’t have a problem or was confused.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby AlphaBass » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:24 am

Randomhero wrote:Read the cross overs too. I know plenty don’t like them but I do so let yourself be the judge of them. Only series I can say you can skip-not because it bad but it just doesn’t call back to anything- transformers vs avengers. Yes, spotlight ramjet is a sequel to it but I read ramjet first and didn’t have a problem or was confused.

Thanks to both of you for the recommendations (and I also read someone suggest the Optimus Prime arc from DoOP to his return to now as a way of showing the consequences of his actions, which is brilliant stuff). I had been following since "Dark Cybertron" and got into MTMTE because of the interplay between characters (though tbh, "slaughterhouse" made me a full-on fan).

I'm not glad but kinda am that the series is being rebooted - if only because having that kind of payoff after years of setting up is the only way to go out.
AlphaBass
Micromaster

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #15 Marvel Comics 1986 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 230926Q"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #19 Marvel Comics 1986 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 210422A"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #34 Cvr A IDW Comics 2021 JUN210494 34A (CA) Chan (W) Ruckley"
TRANSFORMERS #34 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #6 Cvr D 1:25 Image Comics 0923IM467 6D (CA) Darboe (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #6 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS 3-D #1 Blackthorne Comics 1987 (CA) Tobolski + Versandi 230915I"
TRANSFORMERS 3-D # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #65 Marvel Comics 1990 (W) Furman (CA) Sienkiewicz 210422A"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #7 1st ptg Marvel Comics 1985 (CA) Bright (W) Budiansky 230915X"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #11 Marvel Comics 1985 (A/CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 230926E"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #25 Cvr B IDW Comics 2020 SEP200484 25B (CA) Malkova"
TRANSFORMERS #25 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Wreckers TREAD & CIRCUITS #1 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 AUG210538 1B"
Transformers Wreck ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #28 Marvel Comics 1987 (CA) Akin (W) Budiansky 231010D"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers ROBOTS IN DISGUISE #3 IDW Comics 2015 201208A (CA) Tramontano"
Transformers ROBOT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #4 Cvr E 1:50 Image Comics 0723IM803 4E (CA) Martinez (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #4 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #30 Marvel Comics 1987 (W) Budiansky (CA) Trimpe 210422A"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #346 - Gas Station Jamboree
Twincast / Podcast #346:
"Gas Station Jamboree"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 23rd, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Unicronus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Outback" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Megatron Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Fusion Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 11.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations Titans Return Soundwave and Soundblaster" on AMAZON
Buy "TRANSFORMERS PLATINUM EDITION HOT ROD JUNKION SCRAPHEAP WRECK GAR SET" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers RID Combiner Force Warriors Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Vector Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON