This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW Revolutionaries Discussion Thread

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Re: IDW Revolutionaries Discussion Thread

Postby dragons » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:14 pm

LE0KING wrote:I can't help but feel like hasbro is pushing GI Joe too much. They are literally in every comic save lost light, and I'm not putting it past them to find a way to force em in. Why are they forcing them so much?

Me: "Yeah, Transformers comics are great"
Hasbro: "The GI Joe comics are better."
Me: "But I like robots..."
Hasbro: "No, love GI Joe!"
Me: "But, TF comics are winning awards."
Hasbro: "G. I. Joe."
Me: "But I don't like GI-"
Hasbro: "Love them!"

Gijoe is only team that had more crossovers with transformers than anything starting with marvel series and going with idw, avengers had crossover with transformers that was one time
dragons
Gestalt
News Credits: 21

Postby Nexus Knight » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:38 pm

Motto: ""I fight for the honor of those whom the Decepticons crush under their pathetic heel.""
Weapon: Star Saber Sword
dragons wrote:
LE0KING wrote:I can't help but feel like hasbro is pushing GI Joe too much. They are literally in every comic save lost light, and I'm not putting it past them to find a way to force em in. Why are they forcing them so much?

Gijoe is only team that had more crossovers with transformers than anything starting with marvel series and going with idw, avengers had crossover with transformers that was one time

I'm will in to bet they're trying to show the human perspective of the Transformers' wars on Earth, or show we're not worthless idiots in the this continuity. If that's the case... they must not remember Skywatch...
Favorite quotes from The Transformers: The Movie-

"Ride in style!" Hot Rod (ever humble)

"Such heroic nonsense" Megatron

"I have better things to do tonight than die" Springer

"Till the day that all are one" Optimus Prime

"I belong to no one!" Megatron

"This is bad comedy" Galvatron (seeing Starscream's last bid for control)

"Ba wee gra na weep nini bong" Universal Greeting

"Till all are one" Rodimus Prime
Nexus Knight
Combiner
News Credits: 11
Alt Mode: Arsonist SnowCat and Stargazer
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Courage: 7
Firepower: 5
Skill: 9

Postby ScottyP » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:54 am

Weapon: Battle Blades

Because if they can rebrand and rebuild GI Joe in a way that makes it relevant and interesting, it's a license to print money.

Also, on the surface, yeah, they're everywhere. Joe fans probably think there are too many Transformers everywhere. But from the TF side, look at this book. Mayday is just Ayana from exRiD. OP 2's cast of Joes was almost all established TF comic human characters just with Joe badges and codenames thrown on. It's not like Lady Jaye is bouncing her boobs around in front of Arcee claiming GI Cis superiority while Roadblock takes a crap on Tailgate and Snake Eyes domesticates Prowl.

That's in the Japanese toy pack in comics, obviously :P
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 638
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

John Barber and Fico Ossio Talk IDW Revolutionaries

Postby Va'al » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:30 pm

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
As this week sees the first issue of the new IDW series post-Revolution, featuring Transformers characters Kup and Blackrock, plus Action Man and GI Joe - and written by continuity wizard John Barber, with art by Fico Ossio - Comicosity were able to have a chat with the two creators to promote thebook and give us a little more information. Check out some snippets below, the full piece here, and look out of our review of the issue soon!

Aaron Long: Revolution merged the Hasbro properties into a shared universe, with Revolutionaries now spinning out of the event. What will readers be seeing in this series?

John Barber: Lots of fast-paced action and big world-building. The Revolutionaries team is made up of Mayday (who’s a G.I. Joe agent), Kup and Blackrock (who are Transformers), and Action Man (who’s English). So they’re already kinda all over the place to start with, but right off the bat they have to team up with Rom and the Micronauts to fight the Oktober Guard and the new Storm Shadow. Nothing’s off the table!

So we’ll be seeing big crossovers between characters, plus we’ll be going all over the world. If you’re a fan of the Hasbro characters—from the comics or the toys or the cartoons—there will be little nods, or returns to places and ideas from all over. Remember when Cobra had a base on the moon? We do. And we’re trying to pull in things from all over the history of the characters—like, I don’t know if anybody was expecting the Sgt. Savage and his Screaming Eagles relaunch of G.I. Joe, but that stuff plays a role.

If you’re not familiar with this weird stuff, no worries—we’re introducing all these ideas, not expecting you’re an expert. But that said, we’ve done our homework.

[...]

AL: The ongoing cast consists of Action Man, Blackrock, Mayday and Kup. Can you dis-cuss how this mix of characters was decided upon to anchor the title?

JB: At the Revolution writer’s retreat, Cullen Bunn suggested that since Action Man’s comic was a limited series, he’d be without a home post-Revolution. (Action Man, not Cullen, who has a nice home). So it might be good to have A.M. looking over what everybody else was doing—like, his mandate might be to monitor everybody worldwide. And Mairghread Scott sort of riffed on that that you could do with it, suggested it could be a little like Global Frequency and have self-contained stories about this world. And I wound up getting elected to write it because I’d done Action Man and sort of knew a lot about where the universe was going. (In the comics, I mean. Certainly not in real life).

So, I thought if we made this a team with Action Man, really gave this a different feel, it’d be a good fit to add the Transformers character Blackrock, who’d just be coming out of the Titans Return story. Blackrock is a tech-CEO who discovered his memories were false and he’s a Cybertronian. He’s Cybertronian, but his alt-mode is basically a human.

I knew we’d want somebody from G.I. Joe, but I suggested we could sort of push things here and use this to develop a new character, or anyway to build up a character Andrew Griffith and I had set up in Transformers, but who’d now be in G.I. Joe. We gave Anya Jones the semi-obscure out-of-use Joe code-name of Mayday, and she’s become sort of the leader of the team—Action Man is still new to the job; Blackrock is new to this life; so Mayday has the experi-ence with aliens and military tactics.

Kup was originally going somewhere else, or so I thought, but then it turned out Kup wasn’t really going to fit into that other series, and I thought he was too good a character to lose track of, but he wasn’t really essential to what Kei Zama and I were going to do in the Optimus Prime comic… but with about a half-second’s thought, I realized Kup’s an old soldier, and the idea of getting him together with this young, mostly-inexperienced team was just the thing Revolutionaries needed.

FO: Well, when I came on board the cast was already set. And I think they picked a great set of characters. Plus it feels a lot more tightknit and relatable than Revolution. Working on a smaller cast allows us to develop these characters more, and John is writing them awesomely. For my part, I focused on working more detail into their design. I got the chance to redesign Blackrock and it´s definitely a new look for the character, closer to his cybetronian nature. And well… I got carried away and kept going with Mayday: new armor suit! We did keep her hairstyle though… Nah, in all seriousness I wanted them to look the part of a lead character. Action Man´s design was pretty awesome already.

[...]

AL: Fico, with Revolution and now Revolutionaries you’ve penciled the vast majority of Hasbro characters. Are there any particular characters or a particular group that you get the most excited to work on?

FO: Well… It´s hard not to get excited to draw Blackrock with the new design. I also enjoy drawing Mayday a lot. I really feel it´s important to have a strong female character, and I very much love paying attention to every detail on how we portray her to reinforce that. She rocks.

Action Man has the best lines, John is really bringing life to all these characters so it’s hard not to enjoy drawing all these characters.

And lastly, I´m always exited to see them pop out of the pages with Seba’s colors. He is doing a fantastic job, as always.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Hydrargyrus » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:18 pm

Motto: "Solutions can be found if one knows where to look."
Weapon: Ion Pulse Guns
Maybe this won't be quite so bad after all. At least we know that Kup isn't missing out on anything now (I think I read a complaint about that), and there seemed to be a few nods to the fact that the writers understand the general reception of Revolution and are attempting something a bit different. That's how I read it, at least.
Sometimes I say strange things.

“But, okay—if I want to prove him wrong, maybe I should look at things from his P.O.V.”
—Wheeljack, RiD #3

formerly known as MagicDeath
Hydrargyrus
Vehicon
Buy from Hydrargyrus on eBay
Alt Mode: Kronosaurus
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 3
Endurance: 5
Courage: 6
Firepower: 6
Skill: 8

Review of IDW #Revolutionaries #1

Postby Va'al » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:45 am

You say you want a..?
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis
THE REVOLUTION MAY BE OVER--but the future is just beginning! Ripped from the pages of the hottest crossover of the year, the REVOLUTION team of John Barber and Fico Ossio continue the action! KUP is a CYBERTRONIAN literally older than the universe; ACTION MAN is the ultimate special agent trying to live up to an impossible legacy; MAYDAY is a G.I. JOE leader trying to rescue her first command; and BLACKROCK is a CYBERTRONIAN that thinks he’s a human. It takes the mind-bending clash of ROM versus MAJOR BLUDD and the OKTOBER GUARD to bring this unlikely team together... and the secret they learn threatens to unravel the entire universe.

Or just that.

Story

Whatever your thoughts on the IDW Hasbro franchise crossover event, Revolution did happen, and we have now entered the phase titled Reconstruction (but not really). The multiple universes now coexist, and a new book in particular emerged from the rubble: Revolutionaries #1.

featuring ALIENS (apparently)!

John Barber takes the helm of this new venture, which feeds off some of the tracks set in pre-Revolution Transformers comics - and the start of the issue clearly shows that, by having its timeline show more TF lore than any other book so far - alongside otherwise series-less Action Man/Ian Noble, and the full return of GI Joe (in some way or another).

..and ROM the Space Knight!

Blackrock does mostly steal the spotlight, as we have come to know him in his early days, and after his discovery of his Cybertronian origins - no sass was lost in the transition, no ego was too bruised to recover - and he seems to be working mostly for himself once more; even after the events just happened, the various human factions are not particularly keen to collaborate.

Definitely not EDC. Nuh-uh

Then enter Kup, and his partnership with young Action Man operative Ian Noble - if GB is the sass, the duo are the other side of the chemistry that keeps the book together. There are witty exchanges, playing on established TF concepts but not too heavily given the new audience, and the story does not bode badly at all for the future of the ongoing.

Art

My apprehensions about the art, especially when it had to do with non-human characters in the Revolution books, seem to have faded a little here, as Fico Ossio brings out some strong work even in Kup and ROM's designs - though Blackrock's features can still throw me a little off at times.

Though there are some ..moments

Similarly, Sebastien Cheng's colours still have that glossy finish that works really well as an eye-catching piece of art, but can get in the way of fully enjoying - and potentially understanding - the more crowded scenes. I do feel, however, that it works perfectly in sync with the lineart, and there are no problems in the issue itself!

Is that black unfinished? I like it!

Tom B. Long has his hands full with the art, too, as had happened before - and the task of keeping who's who clear in a book as busy as this is not an easy one, but he does manage to make it the least cluttered as possible. As for the covers, there are a slew of them, from Tradd Moore/Felipe Sobreiro's main, via TF veterans Andrew Griffith/Thomas Teyowisonte Deer and Sara Pitre Durocher's variants (thumbnailed), plus the usual Paul Pope/Kindzierski, Sonny Liew, then Tone Rodriguez/Jordi scuin and Ossio and Cheng's own take - and the retailer exclusive Jed Dougherty/Jason Millet variant, too. Phew.

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

I can't shake the feeling that his book is what Revolution could have been/wanted to be, had it not been dumped into one event, one book, one giant mess of clashing factions within a core story (heavily pivoting on Transformers... and ROM the Space Knight): a monster of the week format with overarching mythology; likeably unlikeable characters; hints and nods to the various fandoms, global scope and scale of casts and settings - though with one major issue...

Other than this guy's soulpatch

...more traditional GI Joe fans may not like this new incarnation of their team. And that is fine, obviously, but I'd be interested to hear the opinion of readers with feet more in that than the robot pool of things to confirm my suspicion. Not the redesigns, or retakes on the characters, but how the new dynamics work, and who they're pitted against in the series as a whole. That said, I enjoyed the read, and would suggest giving the book a try!

. :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: ½ out of :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO:
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Randomhero » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:15 am

I liked it I'm excited to see where this goes. It's really cool to see some transformers in other books. As somesone who reads comics as their medium-not just transformers but in everything- I'm loving this shared universe. No different than Superman showing up in batman or captain America showing up in x-men or wolverine showing up in Spider-Man. Looking forward to Kup and Blackrock and I personally think it's awesome to see GI Joe all over the place since that franchise has been dead for past couple years. It's sad when the bulk of the toys coming out are the collectors club figures than actual retail store toys.
Randomhero
Gestalt
News Credits: 3

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:17 am

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
I think I'm really going to continue to like the Kup/Action man duo. They are as you said Va'al: A great pairing. And Blackrock is pretty awesome too. The team is a good one with likable characters that we know and ones that can share a pretty good dynamic considering their history.

I'm optimistic for the book
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Strength: 5
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8

Postby ricemazter » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:02 am

Motto: "Search and Attack,
Attack and Destroy,
Destroy and Rejoice!"
Weapon: Ionic Displacer Rifle
Can someone fill me in on the new status quo with the transformers? Where is Thundercracker hanging out? Did Kup and Action Man meet up in revolution, or one of the one shots?

On another note, I can't say I like Blackrock'so new look. I kind of like the design he had as sovereign in titans return. Does he go by Blackrock or Sovereign now, anyway? I normally buy IDW comics a month later when they're on sale.
ricemazter
Fuzor
Watch ricemazter on YouTube
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 8
Endurance: 5
Firepower: 9

Postby ScottyP » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:41 am

^ Thundercracker is on vacation/road tripping with Buster and Marissa Faireborn. Yes, really! It's fun. Josh Boyfriend convinces him to do this in the TF:Rev one shot (figuratively, on that part)

Kup gets captured by MASK in Rev 3, iirc, maybe 2. He's then somewhat accidentally rescued by Action Man in the Action Man:Rev one shot. They keep hanging out because AM thinks it's cool to have a giant robot friend. He's not wrong.

For Revolutionaries, gotta say I enjoyed it overall. I still have some issues with the art, and I wouldn't call this great but it was definitely a good start.

Also, passing mention of something from the Hot Rod and Doubledealer Spotlights? What year is it?
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby Kurona » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:08 am

Motto: "Don't forget to subscribe to the official Doctor Who youtube channel"
Weapon: Temperature Variant H20 Gun
Blackrock goes by... well, Blackrock. Sovereign is essentially a completely different entity dormant within him that Sentinel/Infinitus awakened, but then also Soundwave let Blackrock take over again. I really hope they do something with that rather than it just being something awkwardly shoved in for the toy tie-in.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 191
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 2
Endurance: 1
Courage: 3
Firepower: 1
Skill: 2

Sneak Peak - IDW Revolutionaries #2

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:26 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
iTunes once more brings us a comic preview, this time in the form of Revolutionaries #2. Revolutionaries starts right where #1 left off, with Action Man deserted on the Moon with a lot of dead Cobra guys. Check out the preview below, and let us know what you think in the comments section below!

Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby Nexus Knight » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:40 pm

Motto: ""I fight for the honor of those whom the Decepticons crush under their pathetic heel.""
Weapon: Star Saber Sword
First with the Lost Light preview teasing us about for someone "big" (literally), now Revolutionaries. For shame. :-P
Favorite quotes from The Transformers: The Movie-

"Ride in style!" Hot Rod (ever humble)

"Such heroic nonsense" Megatron

"I have better things to do tonight than die" Springer

"Till the day that all are one" Optimus Prime

"I belong to no one!" Megatron

"This is bad comedy" Galvatron (seeing Starscream's last bid for control)

"Ba wee gra na weep nini bong" Universal Greeting

"Till all are one" Rodimus Prime
Nexus Knight
Combiner
News Credits: 11
Alt Mode: Arsonist SnowCat and Stargazer
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10
Endurance: 6
Firepower: 5
Skill: 9

Full Preview of IDW Revolutionaries #2

Postby Va'al » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:28 am

The third comic out this week with IDW Publishing is part of the wider, braver new world of the Hasbro universe, and includes some of our Transformers characters too - and so we keep up with the stories, to bring you the best content we can where possible. Check out below a preview for tomorrow's Revolutionaries #2, featuring Kup, Action Man, Blackrock, and the rest of the gang!

Revolutionaries #2
John Barber (w) • Fico Ossio (a) • Tradd Moore (c)
ENTER THE SHADOW! One of the REVOLUTIONARIES is missing—and when his teammates launch a rescue mission, they get a little help... from the 4"-tall other-dimensional MICRONAUTS! Together they'll have to face the swords of the all-new, all-different STORM SHADOW—and she's not taking prisoners!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
Enter the all-new, all-different STORM SHADOW!
The secrets of the Hasbro universe are revealed here!
Variant cover by Andrew Griffith!

Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Variant Cover for IDW Revolutionaries #3 by Marcelo Ferreira

Postby Va'al » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:07 pm

In other IDW Revolutionaries news today, we have a variant cover for the third issue of the new Hasbro universe series with our pals Micronauts, Kup, Blackrock, Action Man and GI Joe - check out below the Soundwave-tastic artwork from Marcelo Ferreira, via Previews World!

Revolutionaries #3

(W) John Barber (A) Ron Joseph (CA) Marcelo Ferreira
BLAST FROM THE PAST! In the deadly catacombs beneath an ancient pyramid, Joe Colton-the original G.I. Joe-found something far worse than any curse or boobytrap. He found the Decepticon Soundwave... scouring Earth for Cybertron's salvation. Their meeting remained classified-until the Revolutionaries crashed headlong into the modern-day results!

Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby lowman_x » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:41 pm

Motto: "It's all about perspective."
Weapon: High-Energy Particle Beam Rifle
Lifting him out, or putting him in?
"I've got better things to do tonight than die."
lowman_x
Fuzor
Alt Mode: Spacecraft
Speed: 10
Courage: 8

Postby ScottyP » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:58 pm

Hrm, does that jive with Maximum Dinobots though? I don't feel like re-reading that again quite this soon after the last time, so for now, in Barber I'll trust.
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby lowman_x » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:22 pm

Motto: "It's all about perspective."
Weapon: High-Energy Particle Beam Rifle
ScottyP wrote:Hrm, does that jive with Maximum Dinobots though? I don't feel like re-reading that again quite this soon after the last time, so for now, in Barber I'll trust.

If its set prior to 1984 then it won't clash with Soundwave's burial under Mt St Helens and subsequent return in Maximum Dinobots. What it does tell me though is that Soundwave has s penchant for getting buried. Often. ;)
"I've got better things to do tonight than die."
lowman_x
Fuzor
Alt Mode: Spacecraft
Speed: 10
Courage: 8

Review of IDW Revolutionaries #2

Postby Tigertrack » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:35 am

Motto: "A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
New IDW title on the block, 'Revolutionaries', is trying to add more to the mythos of Transformers, GI JOE, Action Man, Micronauts and the other IDW Hasbroverse comics. How will issue #2 tickle your nostalgia fancy? It certainly continues to take a good shot at it!

Recap:
Action Man and the sought after talisman got transported to somewhere unknown and Ayana’s Joe team members were zapped into alien creatures along with a townful of innocents.. What do you do? Who’s in kahoots? And Kup wants his little buddy back…

This Issue:
Did you check out the preview?

ENTER THE SHADOW
Action Man’s been transported to the moon (via a familiar GI JOE device). A seemingly abandoned bad guy base happens to be there as well—and not abandoned— not to mention a whole squad of dead Cobra soldiers. We also have tiny people/aliens trying to elude very large people and an even larger alien.

Whatchamadoodles > Petrorabbits

Kup, Mayday, and Blackrock are trying to catch and talk to (and not squish) the Micronauts to ask them for help in using the talisman to hopefully: (a.) find Action Man and (2.) change the alien-zapped Joes and townfolk back to normal. The talisman has been recognized by Blackrock as microverse tech, thus, the ‘watcha-ma-doodles’ should be able to use it- hence the needed help by the Micronauts. The ‘nauts are still very nervous about getting involved in these matters… in their experience, alien meeting alien = destruction/havoc/capture/torture. Thank Primus, Micronimus, and all the other deities and Primes that we have a universally recognized greeting to rely on and an older wizened bot who knows it!

"Now offer them some energon goodies..."

"Don't worry, they'll reciprocate..."

Progressing and Layering:
Pieces are getting pulled together from the different involved franchises. There’s a few familiar surprises -used in a new way- new bad guys, and some old, as well. Perhaps, no one familiar bigger than the inclusion of Stormshadow and HER Red Shadow ninjas who are also alien symbiotes. Yes, that’s right. Red Shadow Alien Ninja Warriors…(and that other thing).

Storm SHE-adow joins the fray...

It’s not just all fun for Joe fans (or not depending on how you react to the above information). There are plenty of other cool elements splashed into the story. Kup and Blackrock are there for Transformer fans to appreciate (note Kup’s Titanmaster deluxe toy form), and by the way, the microverse tech seems to also be ancient Cybertronian…

ART:
The art by Ossio is consistent with what we’ve seen before. Excellent action scenes and vehicle design work, I really loved his Kup flyer design, and Ossio seems to be finding his rhythm becoming more familiar with drawing big robots and people much more consistently. As much as I like what has been done, I’m still not a fan of how Blackrock has been designed in his Cybertronian form, looking more like Iron Man (“Iron Man sucks…”) than a titanmaster- and then when you add in his ‘billionaire’ human head image the likeness seems even more intended-.

Computer, password 'Blackrock Sucks!' Password Accepted. Welcome home Kup.

Ossio and the art team also have a very large task (and tiny) -especially in this issue- trying to show the different scales of the characters- from teeny, tiny micronaut people and ship to large Cybertronian-scaled Kup; scale and size are a huge element, and I think it’s no easy task to effectively portray the character’s size in relation to one another in the panels, but are they doing it? Sort of. I think they rely more on your understanding of the character’s size rather than other devices to show the scale. I often feel like Acroyear is the size of a regular Cybertronian, or at least Rom, and that the Micronauts are regular human-sized alien people, not 3 3/4 inch action figure size (or 6 inch whatever). Not a big deal, and I may be being a bit too picky on this, which is why I mentioned that it would be quite hard to do!

Tom B. Long is always making his presence felt in very meaningful ways. It’s hard to imagine the books he works on without his special touch.

WRAP UP:
I wasn’t sure where to begin with this review. The concept of this comic being such an amalgamation of the different worlds and franchises coming together, and I’m just not used to it yet— or where all the other involved franchises were prior to Revolution. It’s a lot better than the introductory crossover story that it spawned from, being focused on a much tighter and smaller group, and working to relate the different titles together.

New Buckethead bad guy on the block that I do not yet feel threatened by.

Kup and Action Man are a fun pair. A bit like Hot Rod’s generalized relationship with Kup, Action Man seems to fill that role of young, hot shot go-getter to Kup’s experienced war vet. Action Man is very capable on his own, as is Kup, but together they both seem to be getting something that they both need…

I’m not sure what to think of Mayday yet, or Blackrock. I seem to have a lot of personal problems with Blackrock and what he is (and isn’t) that I can’t get to really trying to enjoy or hate this character yet. I lean more toward hate right now.

The story definitely has something good going for it. I’m not sure we are far enough in to the series to really understand what this book’s characters and plot ‘do’ other than bring together pieces/histories of the IDW/HASBRO-verse. As the Revolution story line showed us, this is not an easy task, but Revolutionaries seems to be going in a positive direction.

WRAP UP 2:
Joe fans may be cringing, but at least IDW is calling GI JOE the flagship title and it’s getting more exposure. Transformers fans still have lots of other fun in other places. Revolutionaries, so far, is a capable add-on, but it still has a long way to go to approach ‘Optimus Prime’, ’Til All Are One’, or ‘Lost Light’ for that group of fans.

Kupgrade!
Tigertrack
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 1082
Strength: 6
Courage: 9
Skill: 10

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:56 am

Overall, a good issue. I love the Kup/Action Man duo, which is probably why I am enjoying the book so far. I do agree though that I wish Blackrock looked a little more Sovereign than Iron Man (even though Iron Man is cool)
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby Kurona » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:58 am

Yeah, haven't really been a fan of Blackrock's design myself. It's especially jarring for me when this is, like, his third robot body design in such a short amount of time. There was the original one he had when Barber was doing his own thing, then they were forced to change it for Titans Return; and now this. It's a bit weird to say the least.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

IDW Revolutionaries Volume 2: Power and Glory TPB Listed at Amazon.com

Postby Va'al » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:10 am

We continue today with some more comics news, in the form of new listings on online retailer Amazon.com, for books released by IDW Publishing in the near future! The first one up is the second volume for Revolutionaries, the variegated team of Hasbro universe licenses made paper and ink - check out more details and the cover below!

THE REVOLUTION MAY BE OVER--but the future is just beginning! Ripped from the pages of the hottest crossover of the year, the REVOLUTION team of John Barber and Fico Ossio continue the action! KUP is a CYBERTRONIAN literally older than the universe; ACTION MAN is the ultimate special agent trying to live up to an impossible legacy; MAYDAY is a G.I. JOE leader trying to rescue her first command; and BLACKROCK is a CYBERTRONIAN that thinks he’s a human.

The Revolutionaries uncover the deep, dark secret of Mike Power, the Atomic Man—and enlist the help of M.A.S.K. to bring in the long-lost agent! But there's more to Power's story than anyone imagined. Collects issues #5-8.

Series: Revolutionaries
Paperback: 96 pages
Publisher: IDW Publishing (November 14, 2017)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1684050154
ISBN-13: 978-1684050154

Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Sneak Peek - IDW Revolutionaries #3

Postby ScottyP » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:55 pm

The 3-page iTunes comic preview for Revolutionaries #3 has been made available, leading to a presumable 3/15/2017 release for this comic first solicited for a February release. This is an especially quick look, as pages 1 and 2 of this preview are merely the recap and roll-call pages seen in each book. Despite this, these pages do lead to some intriguing information and speculative possibilities for the future of the Hasbro Universe of comics, with references oozing out of the first page featuring some Micronauts, our old mono-eyed pal Shockwave, a certain 'Visionary' totem, and even a short nod to Binaltech! Check out the preview pages below and let us know what you think by replying to this post.

John Barber (w) • Ron Joseph (a) • Tradd Moore (c)
BLAST FROM THE PAST!In the deadly catacombs beneath an ancient pyramid, Joe Colton—the original G.I. Joe—found something far worse than any curse or boobytrap. He found the Decepticon Soundwave... scouring Earth for Cybertron's salvation. Their meeting remained classified—until the Revolutionaries crashed headlong into the modern-day results!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:
· A special “Blast from the Past” issue featuring art by Revolution: Rom #1 artist, Ron Joseph!
· The secrets of the original Adventure Team are revealed here!
· Variant cover by Marcelo Ferreira!

ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby Kurona » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:06 pm

'Binaltech'. So fanwanky. I love it :P

And THIS is what I was hoping for from Revolutionaries. Relatively smaller self-contained stories featuring a handful (which means less than 10. Can you hold more than 10 characters in your hand? If so, check with your local doctor!) of characters that may or may not have repercussions on the main story but is generally a side thing. Like the old Spotlights. Spotlight: Shockwave was great. More of that please.

So yeah. Well excited for this one~
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby ScottyP » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:45 pm

Way to initially screw up the news story title, me. Dummy.

ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Earthspark Warrior Class Hasbro 2023 New"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Rescan OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Rescue Bots Playskool 2017 New Truck Diaclone"
Rescan OPTIMUS PRI ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME COMMANDER-BOT Transformers Rescue Bots 2011 Playskool 191206a"
OPTIMUS PRIME COMM ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Rescan OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Rescue Bots Academy Playskool Racing Truck New"
Rescan OPTIMUS PRI ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MEGATRON Transformers Earthspark Deluxe Mandroid wave Hasbro 2023 New"
MEGATRON Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Rescan OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Rescue Bots Academy 2020 Racing Truck 2020"
Rescan OPTIMUS PRI ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Rescan HOIST Tow-Bot (Flatbed Truck) Transformers Rescue Bots Academy 2019"
Rescan HOIST Tow-B ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIMAL Transformers Classic Heroes Team Rescue Bots Hasbro 2022 New"
OPTIMUS PRIMAL Tra ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CHIEF CHARLIE BURNS + RESCUE CUTTER Transformers Rescue Bots 2011 Playskool"
CHIEF CHARLIE BURN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Classic Heroes Team Rescue Bots Hasbro 2022 New"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Rescan HEATWAVE Fire-Bot Transformers Rescue Bots Academy 2019 Fire Truck"
Rescan HEATWAVE Fi ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BUMBLEBEE Transformers Rescue Bots Academy Featured Feature Playskool 2021 New"
BUMBLEBEE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BOULDER CONSTRUCTION-BOT Transformers Rescue Bots 2011 Playskool 191206a"
BOULDER CONSTRUCTI ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Feature Bot OPTIMUS PRIME action figure Transformers Rescue Bots Playskool 2015"
Feature Bot OPTIMU ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Twin Twist and Flameout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Titan Class Predaking" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Swoop" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Cindersaur" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Brawn" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition "Year of the Goat" Exclusive Masterpiece Soundwave by Hasbro" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Cyclonus Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Beast Hunters Legion Class Smokescreen Stealth Fighter Figure" on AMAZON