This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW More Than Meets The Eye #57 Discussion Thread

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Re: IDW More Than Meets The Eye #57 Discussion Thread

Postby ScottyP » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:19 pm

Weapon: Battle Blades
Silverwing wrote:I doubt anyone can really kill Prowl in this continuity. There are plenty of times when he's deserved it though.
You know, they love to hype in solicits how these huge event arcs will break the "status quo" of the series. If they really wanted to shake things up, from a pure continuity standpoint, killing off Prowl would be huge.
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 639
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby 1984forever » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:09 pm

ScottyP wrote:
Silverwing wrote:I doubt anyone can really kill Prowl in this continuity. There are plenty of times when he's deserved it though.
You know, they love to hype in solicits how these huge event arcs will break the "status quo" of the series. If they really wanted to shake things up, from a pure continuity standpoint, killing off Prowl would be huge.
Besides an issue or two of mourning, I don't see how killing Prowl will add anything to the IDW universe. I feel that the loss of any character diminishes a title as a whole simply because you can't use them anymore.

Trailbreaker and Skids are dead... Ok, now what?
1984forever
Targetmaster

Postby DeadCaL » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:16 pm

Weapon: Flamethrower Cannons
Sentinel doesn't seem to be a big fan of 'shipping.

I think I'm starting to like Sentinel ;)
Me Love Grimlock Superdeformed Dinobot Fun

DeadCaL
Minibot
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 2
Endurance: 8
Courage: 10
Firepower: 6
Skill: 8

Postby Rodimus Prime » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:35 am

Motto: "Individual freedom above all else."
Deadput wrote:
Rodimus Prime wrote:Yes, but that's a single shot from Megatron. It's not the same as a single shot from anyone else.
Wrong Prowl was not killed by Megatron in the movie it was Scavenger who killed him.
The way I remembered was that Megatron and Starscream did all the damage during the attack. But you're right.
........Image
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 22

IDW More Than Meets The Eye #57 Full Preview

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:35 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
Newsarama has uploaded a new preview for all of us to enjoy, this time in the form of More Than Meets The Eye 57, the last issue of More Than Meets The Eye before the Revolution crossover issue and then the continuation of the story in Transformers: Lost Light. You can check out the full preview below, and come back here next Wednesday for your Seibertron.com review of the More Than Meets The Eye Finale!

I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Firepower: 8

Postby Kurona » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:43 pm

Motto: "Don't forget to subscribe to the official Doctor Who youtube channel"
Weapon: Temperature Variant H20 Gun
I really can't wait for this. I need to know why Red Alert turned to the side of demons.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 191
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 7
Endurance: 1
Courage: 3
Firepower: 1
Skill: 2

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:56 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
I now really want to have a separate Cerebros from Fort Max toy. He's a lot of fun
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby Kurona » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:17 pm

Especially since this one turns into a car. TR Cerebros turns into a head and a... block.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby Randomhero » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:38 am

Wow the background image on the previously page really gives it away doesn't it
Randomhero
Gestalt
News Credits: 3

IDW More Than Meets The Eye #57 Review

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:57 am

At Lights End, Titans Rise
A semi-spoilerish Seibertron.com Review of More Than Meets The Eye 57

Hold back your tears for a little longer folks

Synopsis
END OF THE ROAD! On Luna 1, the scale of SENTINEL PRIME's ambition becomes shockingly apparent—and while RED ALERT struggles to separate friend from foe, PROWL convinces FORTRESS MAXIMUS to take the ultimate gamble.

Story

More Than Meets The Eye has taken us on some amazing voyages, traveling space, time, and all manner of other things. And here we are, issue 57, the last issue to bear the More Than Meets The Eye banner. And the series conclusion was nothing to be disappointed about either.

The Titans Return crossover to end the title is still a bit wonky seeing as how Transformers has yet to hit shelves, but we do reach this conclusion and Transformers can still tie up its part of the story. But for now, let's focus in on a few characters, namely Red Alert. As with last issue, I loved the Red Alert arc, and he once again made the issue. Red Alert's long standing mental trauma is finally brought to the light it was meant to be in, and it is handled very well. All the flashbacks, all the inner-mind battles, and Red Alert makes his character and owns the storyline as if it were his, not the titans.

Yeah, this guy...

Of course there are other characters, and they get their fair share of the light. Prowl goes some way towards incorporating his Sins of the Wreckers experiences, while still mainly being the momentous prick we've come to know him as. Fortress Maximus shows his character development as well, and Cerebros makes a good stand of himself despite only appearing in 2 whole issues out of 57. Serious, Cerebros got some good character in these 2 issues, and he has become one of my favorites. Sovereign doesn't skimp on his part either, and Sentinel is just... Sentinel.

...and this guy. Awesome... and slightly funny

Art

Priscilla Tramontano once more takes up art duties and once again she does a very good job of bringing these characters to life. If there is one thing that I could pick over the others, it would need to be her use of expressions. Several of the characters in this story have faceplates, and she somehow makes them almost more expressive than those with actual faces, and it makes for a great read. Cerebros once again nails it in this category, and there is no one panel that he looks bad in.

When I try to tell Va'al he's wrong

Coloring is done by Joana Lafuente, and her colors mesh well with Tramontano's lines and expressions. Darkness and light blend together in beautiful shades, and the story's main setting at night is done well, with the sky dark and lighting up as the events of the story unfold underneath it.

Lettering is once more done by the great Tom B. Long, and his words and action phrases flash across the screen as they should: pronounced when need be, emphasized when need be, always looking good. (We're not letting Red analyze his speech patterns again)

Oh, and Table flips. We get one more of those.

And when Va'al realizes I Was Right

Final Thoughts

And here we are, 57 stories into More Than Meets The Eye, and we have found the end of this road. A journey that started almost 5 full years ago has hit a final point, the end of the quest, the final voyage. And it could not have gone out on a better note. This story was a joy to read and well worth picking up. It feels like the finale it was meant to be, and it is very entertaining to many audiences. The series has been a great read, and this story symbolizes all that was good about and with it.

And with that, everyone is good. Every loose plot line has been tied up, the fate of all the characters ever introduced to the series has been finalized. Everyone is happy. Success has happened. The story is fully complete.

And so it E---

but wait, it never Ends....

More Than Meets The Eye may be over, but the story will continue on! Transformers: Lost Light will pick up where we have ended, and is essentially Season 3 of More Than Meets The Eye in everything but in name, similar to how Transformers: Prime picked up that Beast Hunters line.

Now, your comics shops will see the new title and not the fact that they are the same story, so make sure you are subscribing to Lost Light, and we will start anew, all those plot threads ready to be continued on, in December!

:BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: 1/2 Out of :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT:
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Re: IDW More Than Meets The Eye #57 Review

Postby Rodimus Prime » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:15 am

Motto: "Individual freedom above all else."
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:This story was a joy to read and well worth picking up. It feels like the finale it was meant to be, and it is very entertaining to many audiences. The series has been a great read, and this story symbolizes all that was good about and with it.
Are you saying this about #57, or the whole Titans Return story?
........Image
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 22

Postby Va'al » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:16 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Using my own thing against me. The cheek. The dishonour. The table flips.

I will cog you, rookie.

(Good review though!)
Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby ScottyP » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:25 am

I think TR's arc having to end (at least this portion of it) tied the narravtive down a little in places, making this feel a bit disjointed as a single issue. I understand why this is and had to be, but it still does what it does with some detriment to what JR's actual storytelling goals seemed to be.

Still loved it. Or a majority of it. At least half of it. Maybe ten to fifteen percent.

(Couldn't resist that bit. In actuality I really enjoyed almost all of it.)

And hey, wassup Brave Max colors. I see you.
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby o.supreme » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:42 am

Motto: "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"
man cant wait until 3pm when I can break away from work and go get my comics for the month.

ScottyP wrote:And hey, wassup Brave Max colors. I see you.

?? --I've been waiting for this for years...for Fort Max to be portrayed in comics as he rightfully should (even if he is just piloting a Titan rather than being the Titan...but close enough) so are you saying the colors are off??? --I guess Ill have to wait and see.

Anyways...yeah its a shame TR had to be rushed and truncated for the sake of Revolution. I still think it would have been better to let MTMTE & TF go to the end of the year (#60) expanding on the TR story and TAAO would have been another 6 issue series. Then start Revolution in January 2017. We never even got to see any of the characters that should have been headmasters actually become headmasters etc...

January could have been wholly dedicated to Revolution, then they could have started everything fresh in February. Oh well.. it is what it is... I guess it could be a LOT worse *cough* marvel & dc *cough*
Bucket/Want List: Botcon 2016 Customization Class Ratchet (G2 Deco), or Customization Class Ratchet (Marvel Comics Deco) **would also be willing to pay for an Unpainted Botcon 2016 Ratchet, TT Legends Fortress Head (only) with working Electronics

Wish List of Modern Combiners: Road Caesar, Monstructor & Dinoking (proper size to fiction), Landcross, Guard City, Battle Gaia, & G2 Defensor. Wish List of Titans:Metrotitan,Majin Zarak
o.supreme
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 55
Watch o.supreme on YouTube
Buy from o.supreme on eBay

Postby Xarmech » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:06 pm

Am I seeing things or does the center of that computer screen say: MTMTE 2012-2016?
Xarmech
Mini-Con

Postby Kurona » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:30 pm

Xarmech wrote:Am I seeing things or does the center of that computer screen say: MTMTE 2012-2016?

It does.

Every time I look at the panel I keep spending hours trying to look for some hidden meaning.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:40 pm

Rodimus Prime wrote:
D-Maximus_Primal wrote:This story was a joy to read and well worth picking up. It feels like the finale it was meant to be, and it is very entertaining to many audiences. The series has been a great read, and this story symbolizes all that was good about and with it.
Are you saying this about #57, or the whole Titans Return story?

I was saying that issue 57 was a good read, and that overall MTMTE was a good read as well. I can't really say for sure if Titans return was a good read until I read TF57, but overall I think it was pretty good too, and better done than Combiner Wars.
Dr Va'al wrote:Using my own thing against me. The cheek. The dishonour. The table flips.

I will cog you, rookie.

:-P
Dr Va'al wrote:(Good review though!)

Thank you :D
Kurona wrote:
Xarmech wrote:Am I seeing things or does the center of that computer screen say: MTMTE 2012-2016?

It does.

Every time I look at the panel I keep spending hours trying to look for some hidden meaning.

Fun story: when I read this it took me 3 looks and over half an hour before I found the MTMTE 2012-2016 part. I was too busy trying to interpret that line below it that was all squished together.
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby ScottyP » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:34 pm

Kurona wrote:

It does.

Probably either complete gibberish, or compete gibberish run through some hashing. Unless you've got an encryption key, do not try to decode that! (Assuming that this isn't your professional specialty or something, but if it is, ignore me!)
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby Kurona » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:40 pm

ScottyP wrote:
Kurona wrote:

It does.

Probably either complete gibberish, or compete gibberish run through some hashing. Unless you've got an encryption key, do not try to decode that! (Assuming that this isn't your professional specialty or something, but if it is, ignore me!)

Nowhere near a speciality of mine, no.
But you can't tell me what to do
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby ricemazter » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:22 pm

Motto: "Search and Attack,
Attack and Destroy,
Destroy and Rejoice!"
Weapon: Ionic Displacer Rifle
Can't say that I really liked Red Alert's arc too much. Not that I'm saying his paranoia never be resolved, mind you. I just think it's a bit weird to have this character undergo mental trauma with a clear illness and then end his arc with his fears being totally justified with a clear root cause.

Not that I don't like Robert's as a writer, but it seems to me that character traits shouldn't be caused by twists, but that twists should be caused by character traits. If anyone gets me, that is. I can't think of a better way to articulate my thoughts.
ricemazter
Fuzor
Watch ricemazter on YouTube
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 5
Endurance: 5
Courage: 7
Firepower: 9

Postby newerthannew » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:05 am

Um, so can someone help me out here. So at the end of the issue, there's a synopsis of sorts. Within that there are claims that we now know what happened to the Lost Light crew, the mutineers, the geobomb, and etc.

Did I miss something before issue 57?! I honestly do not recall ever learning what happened to the Lostlight crew on the Necroworld, or the mutineers, or the Geobomb. I'm lost :(

Sorry for sounding like such a rookie, I'm not a diehard fan and not always up to speed.

Thanks for any help.
newerthannew
Mini-Con

Postby newerthannew » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:37 am

william-james88 wrote:iTunes has provided us with our a sneak peak to More Than Meets The Eye 57! Check out the preview listed below, which shows us Sentinel Prime and his army of titans. For those unaware, this is part of the Titans Return Crossover but also serves as an independent MTMTE story featuring lost lighters we have not seen in a while like Red Alert and Fortress Maximus.

(P.S. sorry if this is a double post on my part)

Can someone help me out here please?

So at the end of the issue (#57) there’s a sort of synopsis and final words. Within all that is a short paragraph about us now knowing what’s happened with the crew of the Lost Light, the mutineers, the Geobomb, and etc.

Did I miss something between issues 55, 56, and 57 because I do not recall learning what happened to any of those things beyond the final black and white panel in issue 55? Presumably the bomb detonated (but probably not, or at least not how we think).

In other words, did I miss something that would’ve explained the status of everyone left on the Necrobot's planet (or whatever other name it has) post battle-with-Tarn. And what happened to Getaway and the gang?

I am SO confused, and sorry if this all seems a waste of time or plainly obvious :(
newerthannew
Mini-Con

Postby MrBlack » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:01 pm

Weapon: Fusion Cannon
ricemazter wrote:Can't say that I really liked Red Alert's arc too much. Not that I'm saying his paranoia never be resolved, mind you. I just think it's a bit weird to have this character undergo mental trauma with a clear illness and then end his arc with his fears being totally justified with a clear root cause.

Not that I don't like Robert's as a writer, but it seems to me that character traits shouldn't be caused by twists, but that twists should be caused by character traits. If anyone gets me, that is. I can't think of a better way to articulate my thoughts.

Red Alert was paranoid even before Sentinel's rise to Prime status, so I don't think Sentinel's brainwashing created his mental issues so much as exacerbated them. In fact, his paranoia gave him the tools necessary to counter Sentinel's programming. He seems to be back down to a manageable level with Sentinel gone. He is at least aware enough to know not to indulge in any notion that the signal he received at the end of the issue contained any hidden messages, because he knows that will send him right back down the rabbit hole. That tells me that he still suffers from a degree of paranoia, just not anything as severe as what he was experiencing in Sentinel's presence, or during the war.
MrBlack
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 3
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Courage: 6
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Postby ScottyP » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:35 pm

newerthannew wrote:

So at the end of the issue (#57) there’s a sort of synopsis and final words. Within all that is a short paragraph about us now knowing what’s happened with the crew of the Lost Light, the mutineers, the Geobomb, and etc.

Did I miss something between issues 55, 56, and 57 because I do not recall learning what happened to any of those things beyond the final black and white panel in issue 55? Presumably the bomb detonated (but probably not, or at least not how we think).

In other words, did I miss something that would’ve explained the status of everyone left on the Necrobot's planet (or whatever other name it has) post battle-with-Tarn. And what happened to Getaway and the gang?

I am SO confused, and sorry if this all seems a waste of time or plainly obvious :(
That part was all tongue in cheek/sarcastic. Strip out the playful tone used, and the core of the message on that page is "there's a lot left unresolved so please keep following/buying the book once it becomes Lost Light."
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby newerthannew » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:30 pm

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Phew! Thank YOU ScottyP.

I totally thought I'd missed an issue or two somewhere.

ScottyP wrote:
newerthannew wrote:

That part was all tongue in cheek/sarcastic. Strip out the playful tone used, and the core of the message on that page is "there's a lot left unresolved so please keep following/buying the book once it becomes Lost Light."
newerthannew
Mini-Con

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #2 Cvr K 1:10 design Dynamite Comics 2024 JAN240115 2K (CA) Moss"
NEW!
THUNDERCATS #2 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT #137 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2023 DEC221436 137RI Ongoing (CA) Gibson"
TMNT #137 RI 1:10 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT #136 Cvr C RI 1:10 IDW Comics OCT221749 136RI 136C Ongoing (CA) Williams II"
TMNT #136 Cvr C RI ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr H FOIL Dynamite Comics 2024 DEC230211 1H (CA) Parrillo"
THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT ANNUAL 2023 Cvr B Out of Time IDW Comics MAR231656 (W)Walsh (A/CA)Legostaev"
TMNT ANNUAL 2023 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT VS STREET FIGHTER #3 Cvr B IDW Comics 2023 MAY231432 3B (CA) Brown"
TMNT VS STREET FIG ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT VS STREET FIGHTER #2 Cvr D 1:25 IDW Comics 2023 APR231628 2D (CA) Federici"
TMNT VS STREET FIG ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "JENNIFER BLOOD #3 Cvr L FOC TMNT Homage Dynamite Comics 2021 AUG218979 3L Haeser"
JENNIFER BLOOD #3 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Saturday Morning Adv APRIL SPECIAL #1 Cvr B IDW Comics 2024 JAN241253"
NEW!
TMNT Saturday Morn ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT VS STREET FIGHTER #2 Cvr B IDW Comics 2023 APR231626 2B (CA) Sanchez"
TMNT VS STREET FIG ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr B Dynamite Comics 2024 DEC230205 1B (CA) Parrillo (W) Shalvey"
THUNDERCATS #1 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT ANNUAL 2023 Cvr C RI 1:10 Out of Time IDW Comics MAR231657 (CA) Ziritt"
TMNT ANNUAL 2023 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT Saturday Morning Adv #7 Cvr E 1:25 IDW Comics SEP231300 7E (CA) Ganucheau"
TMNT Saturday Morn ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TMNT + USAGI YOJIMBO WHEREWHEN #4 Cvr C RI 1:10 IDW Comics APR231621 4C Myer"
TMNT + USAGI YOJIM ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Cutthroat" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 08 Leader Class Movie 1 Decepticon Blackout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Snarl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Superion Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Mirage Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Firefly Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Combiner Force 1-Step Changer Soundwave" on AMAZON