This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Postby ScottyP » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:41 pm

Weapon: Battle Blades
Kurona wrote:
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:About damn time too.

Though I don't have any idea what he means by "place we've mentioned multiple times before" at the moment.

It's totally gonna be the Scavengers and Fort Max's crew teaming up to find and destroy the Nightmare Engine. Calling it
Hydrus V gets my vote. Did Brainstorm really take out a star with his briefcase? Probably not.
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 638
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby Kurona » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:52 pm

Motto: "Don't forget to subscribe to the official Doctor Who youtube channel"
Weapon: Temperature Variant H20 Gun
ScottyP wrote:
Kurona wrote:
D-Maximus_Prime wrote:About damn time too.

Though I don't have any idea what he means by "place we've mentioned multiple times before" at the moment.

It's totally gonna be the Scavengers and Fort Max's crew teaming up to find and destroy the Nightmare Engine. Calling it
Hydrus V gets my vote. Did Brainstorm really take out a star with his briefcase? Probably not.

Very true... heck, there's a lot of places we've heard of a ton of times. This comic is the perfect setting to be vague about this.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 191
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 2
Endurance: 1
Courage: 3
Firepower: 1
Skill: 2

IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 Variant Cover Art by Roche, Burcham, Milne, Perez

Postby Va'al » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:47 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Via PreviewsWorld, we have some nice art to tide over the (delayed) wait for the next issue of Transformers: Lost Light #5 - now due on 10th May - in the form of variant covers! Mirrored below, you can find the Nick Roche / Josh Burcham Anode centric cover, and the Alex Milne / Josh Perez Functionist Dredd-esque enforcers. Check them out, along with clean line art from Milne, too!

It's TEAM RODIMUS versus a universe gone wrong! An alternate Cybertron is being torn apart as the malevolent Functionist Council implement a plan that's been millions of years in the making. But with victory within their reach, they find themselves up against someone who really shouldn't exist: MEGATRON.

Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

IDW Transformers: Lost Light #5 Variant Cover by Jin Kim

Postby Va'al » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:12 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
We have another variant cover for IDW Publishing's Transformers: Lost Light #5, in addition to the Milne/Perez and Roche/Burcham ones, thanks again to PreviewsWorld - take a look below at the Jin Kim art featuring Ultra Magnus, Nautica and Drift, with a floating Rodimus head in the background!

Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Sebfolgero » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:19 am

Motto: "I would choose alpha bravo as mt favorite character, but he isn't one."
Speaking of comics, I just found combiner wars revised wave 6 on the pegs in Norway with the Idw comics. Last time I looked in the store there was almost no figures left but now there was a ton all on sale with comics
Sebfolgero
Mini-Con
News Credits: 1

Postby Kurona » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:58 am

I want to frame this and hang it up somewhere. Beautiful art featuring some of the best characters :)
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Two Lost Light #5 panels previewed

Postby Kurona » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:36 pm

Straight from his Twitter account, comic writer James Roberts has tweeted a couple of panels featuring Nightbeat and Rung from the fifth issue of Lost Light, due for release next month. Check out the little snippet of character development below and tell us what you think in the forums!

Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Lost Light #5 iTunes Preview

Postby Kurona » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:31 pm

As it turns out, not long after James Roberts tweeted two panels of the comic, the preview of Lost Light's fifth issue has been put up on itunes! Have a look below and tell us what you think in the forums.

Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby Randomhero » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:40 pm

I hate to say it but I've lost so much interest in this series. Mtmte is a series I've always had a love/hate relationship with but with where it's gone and where it's going with this story I've just become "oh yeah we haven't gotten an issue this month" or "well there's an issue coming out. I grab it when I'm free" I wish I could be more excited but I'm just not anymore.
Randomhero
Gestalt
News Credits: 3

Postby Kurona » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:03 pm

I must admit - and since this is my favourite series and it's had such a big impact on my life, this is hard to admit - the current arc has been a bit weak, unfocused and all over the place imo. Things seem to happen without any lead-in, we jump from point to point without any time devoted to a subject and it's been a little hard to follow. It's not terrible per se, it's still a fine plot and certain things like Anode and the geo-bomb (and Brainstorm squealing!!) shine through to me, but it's not quite up to par as MTMTE was.

However... that said, while this doesn't excuse everything, I'm kinda putting this down to forced editorial mandates. It just so happens that a plot that's... well, as I just described; arguably a drop in quality, happens right when they're forced to restart the numbering, essentially tasked with bringing in new readership and the creative team is reshuffled? I'm not familiar with how everything works, but I don't think this was a good thing for the comic and I think if we'd gotten MTMTE #58 instead of LL #1, things would have been different. That's why I've been a bit easier on this than I really should be; maybe it's me being a bit too optimistic or biased, but I can't look at the negatives of the comic recently, compare it to how incredible MTMTE was and not look towards the editorial mandates.

Also, Nightbeat and Rung. That's reeling me back in as that little talk between them is looking very interesting and Nightbeat's showing his nicer side.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby Randomhero » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:31 pm

The renumbering and renaming doesn't bother me. I've been reading comics since I was 6 and it's something you have to just get adjusted to. This wasnt batman or Spider-Man getting in the 700s and 800s and going back it issue one, it was issue 56 and then changing. Wasn't that big of a deal.

My biggest issue has always been and will always be unless it changes is that Roberts writes this like a television show and not a comic book and those are two very different medias. The structure is an utter mess at times. The ideas and characterization have always been its strengths where as it's structure has always been something to be desired. I'm not going to go as far as some and accuse James of writing knock off red dwarf fan fiction but it's hard not to see it. I've talked to James, he's a great guy but I wish he'd work on his storytelling and grow from it instead of making tongue and cheek remarks from characters in the book like hes done a bit whenever "community" was referenced.

I used to get furious for so long at this series because it never does anything with the quest and I finally gave up by season 2 because there wasn't a single issue in those 2 and half years that actually had any form of progress with the quest. They got a map halfway but we had to have more deviations. James said with lost light he's making the quest priority. Now we know for the next few months thanks to solicits and probably for the rest of the year we will be in functionalist universe and all I can do is toss my hands in the air and ask "well why did you even say that James?"

He said it a few times in interviews and podcasts by the way.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby ScottyP » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:47 pm

Primus bless, this fandom turned on this book faster than it took to type this sentence.

I loved everything in those three pages and just cannot wait for more. Y'all go have your 'We want Milne and plot resolution' pity party, I'll be over here with my robot pals enjoying the ride :POPCORN:
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby bodrock » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:00 pm

Motto: "Spare me this mockery of justice!"
Weapon: Heat-Seeking Laser Blasters
I miss Milne's art, no doubt, but I'm also enjoying the ride! I'm sure Roddy will get his ship back and they'll be back on track....eventually. :BOT:
Last edited by bodrock on Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Transform & MEMEIFY!

>GAME-ON/UTAWARERUMONO/
>PretenderQuest
>On InstaGram
bodrock
City Commander
Alt Mode: Space Gangsta
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 7
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 9

Postby Kurona » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:36 am

I actually really like the art myself. I still prefer Milne and think he's a better fit, but it's not like Lawrence is a slouch or anything; he's a fantastic artist and in my opinion he works well for the comic.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby Randomhero » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:09 am

I too like jacks art. It's very Early 2000s Nick Roche meets Guido Guidi. It's got that classic looks with a little exaggerated proportions.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby Big Grim » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:24 am

Weapon: Galaxial Rocket Launcher
ScottyP wrote:I loved everything in those three pages and just cannot wait for more. Y'all go have your 'We want Milne and plot resolution' pity party, I'll be over here with my robot pals enjoying the ride :POPCORN:

I'm with you Scotty. I'm having a blast with Lost Light and will continue to enjoy it.

Kurona wrote:I actually really like the art myself. I still prefer Milne and think he's a better fit, but it's not like Lawrence is a slouch or anything; he's a fantastic artist and in my opinion he works well for the comic.

Pretty much exactly how I feel too. Lawrence is doing a great job in my opinion.
Big Grim
Headmaster
News Credits: 148

Postby Randomhero » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:37 am

Is Alex not returning at all? I know he's doing that miniseries with John and Josh Perez but wasn't Alex suppose to return for the next arc and then Jack would do the one after?
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby ScottyP » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:28 am

Randomhero wrote:Is Alex not returning at all? I know he's doing that miniseries with John and Josh Perez but wasn't Alex suppose to return for the next arc and then Jack would do the one after?
That may indeed have been the initial plan (or it was smoke and mirrors for PR reasons, who knows) but with Milne on ROM vs TF it's a safe bet this plan has changed. Until further notice I'm operating under the assumption that Lawrence is to Lost Light as Pitre-Durocher is to TAAO and as Zama is to OP.
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby ricemazter » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:50 pm

Motto: "Search and Attack,
Attack and Destroy,
Destroy and Rejoice!"
Weapon: Ionic Displacer Rifle
Randomhero wrote:The renumbering and renaming doesn't bother me. I've been reading comics since I was 6 and it's something you have to just get adjusted to. This wasnt batman or Spider-Man getting in the 700s and 800s and going back it issue one, it was issue 56 and then changing. Wasn't that big of a deal.

My biggest issue has always been and will always be unless it changes is that Roberts writes this like a television show and not a comic book and those are two very different medias. The structure is an utter mess at times. The ideas and characterization have always been its strengths where as it's structure has always been something to be desired. I'm not going to go as far as some and accuse James of writing knock off red dwarf fan fiction but it's hard not to see it. I've talked to James, he's a great guy but I wish he'd work on his storytelling and grow from it instead of making tongue and cheek remarks from characters in the book like hes done a bit whenever "community" was referenced.

I used to get furious for so long at this series because it never does anything with the quest and I finally gave up by season 2 because there wasn't a single issue in those 2 and half years that actually had any form of progress with the quest. They got a map halfway but we had to have more deviations. James said with lost light he's making the quest priority. Now we know for the next few months thanks to solicits and probably for the rest of the year we will be in functionalist universe and all I can do is toss my hands in the air and ask "well why did you even say that James?"

He said it a few times in interviews and podcasts by the way.

That's interesting because I seems to me he has started writing things more like a comic, just not in a good way. One of the best things about Roberts' writing in the early MTMTE was that it was episodic, so we would get a more or less complete mini story in one or two issues, unlike other modern series where every single issue would end on a vital to the current plot cliffhanger. At the same time, each episode would lead into the next more or less, like when the fall out from Fort Max's therapy session lead into the next issue or the lead into the spark eater story.

It was annoying that the whole quest thing was a loose framework to hang the story on, but as long as the individual episodes were decent I could deal with it. Ever since season 1 ended, however, plots have gradually gotten more drawn out in some areas and severely truncated in others, and in some cases the payoff for the episodic stories don't have immediate consequences until a few issues later. For instance, the way I saw it, the episode with Froid and Sunder's main point was Skids' memories which doesn't come into play until the ending bits of Dying int the Light. This makes the lack of quest progress even more noticeable in the grand scheme of the series.

Now, as of LL, we're in full comic mode. Where the Functionist universe plot seems to be going on for 6 issues, and has almost nothing to do with the main threads introduced in the last series. Meanwhile, in just these 4 issues of LL, we've gotten so many new plot points to deal with, and it's infuriating that none of them are related to the quest or the Lost Light Mutiny, imo one of the most interesting things that happened in the last season.

To count every new thing that's been introduced, trapped in the Functionist universe, embroiled in the conflict of said universe, possible addiction to mood altering drugs for several characters, tailgate going nuts, whatever is going on with Anode, swerve and ten displaced to somewhere else entirely, future visions of pharma doing something. It's super exhausting.
ricemazter
Fuzor
Watch ricemazter on YouTube
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 5
Endurance: 5
Courage: 7
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Lost Light #5 fixed Preview

Postby Kurona » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:53 pm

In what is a rather strange turn of events, the preview pages of Lost Light #5 posted before were not pages 1 through 3; but in fact pages 2 through 4. For reasons not quite clear - possibly an uploading error on iTunes' part - only pages 2 through 4 appear on iTunes' website without Page 1. However, Twitter user Lucrecia Souviron reports that when she downloaded the preview to her iPod, page 1 showed up. While we'll try to get a clearer image later, enjoy Lucrecia's screenshot of the true Lost Light #5 Page 1 below - which notably includes the two panels James Roberts had previously tweeted - along with the three pages previously newsed and tell us what you think of this strange turn of events in the forums.

Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby Kurona » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:56 pm

So, uh, yeah; this is weird.

I did kind of have my doubts before - Nightbeat and Rung's conversation having no lead-in especially with James Roberts' tweet; Rodimus being electrocuted seeming an odd way to start the issue for reasons I can't quite explain - but I didn't quite expect this. Mistakes happen I suppose; nice to see that the issue is built much more competently than I previously thought. All my previous criticisms - at least in regards to this particular issue - go out the window :)
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby Deadput » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:31 pm

Motto: "Let's kick the tires and light the fires!"
Weapon: Fusion Blaster Cannon
When is Lost Light actually going to go back to the Lost Light?

Probably going to take 10 years to finally reach the knights at this pace.

Will Rodimus actually grow up and will we get character's who don't joke in every other line?

Are we getting Milne back you know an actually good artist?
Va'al wrote:
Deadput wrote:Actually I don't know my mother's name is Valerie so is Va'al actually my mother?

Yes. Now go to your room and don't play with yourself.

Deadput
Faction Commander
News Credits: 54
Alt Mode: A mec suit for redundancy.
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 9
Endurance: 3
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10
Skill: 5

Postby Kurona » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:35 pm

Deadput wrote:When is Lost Light actually going to go back to the Lost Light?

Will Rodimus actually grow up and will we get character's who don't joke in every other line?

We're going back to look at the Lost Light in a few issues as confirmed by Roberts, Rodimus' character is actually growing and Lawrence is a fine artist. I can understand why many feel his art style doesn't fit the book (a lot of people have said it's a bit too cartoony for the tone of the comic; I disagree with it myself but the criticism does make sense) and I can certainly understand preferring Milne for the comic, but in what way is Lawrence's art bad? Because personally I'm seeing some gorgeous lineart. Well, gorgeous lineart a little obscured by the image quality because iTunes previews do that for some reason; but gorgeous lineart nonetheless.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby SG Roadbuster » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:53 pm

Kurona wrote:
Deadput wrote:When is Lost Light actually going to go back to the Lost Light?

We're going back to look at the Lost Light in a few issues as confirmed by Roberts, Rodimus' character is actually growing and Lawrence is a fine artist. I can understand why many feel his art style doesn't fit the book (a lot of people have said it's a bit too cartoony for the tone of the comic; I disagree with it myself but the criticism does make sense) and I can certainly understand preferring Milne for the comic, but in what way is Lawrence's art bad? Because personally I'm seeing some gorgeous lineart. Well, gorgeous lineart a little obscured by the image quality because iTunes previews do that for some reason; but gorgeous lineart nonetheless.

could be worse, idw could be letting Livio Ramondelli ruin this book, the way he's ruined so many others.
SG Roadbuster
Minibot

Postby SureShot18 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:10 pm

Motto: "Certainty of death, small chance of success...What are we waiting for?"
Weapon: Gattling Gun
I'll admit something has felt off to me but I figured it was just that this is the first arc I've read issue by issue and not in a set of 5 books in a volume. I still really enjoy LL and Issue 3 was excellent in particular.

I'd argue that Lawrence is a little too cartoony for the tone of the book but he still has really good art. It took some getting used to but I like it.

Should they get back to the LL ,deal with the mutineers, and continue the quest? Absolutely but I've always seen MTMTE/LL as a book mostly for the characters and exRID/TAAO/OP as the plot based books. And besides, if they finished the quest where would my favorite TF fiction be?

They have thrown a lot at us since the re numbering but in due time all of the loose ends will be tied up. I can wait a while for that too, keeps continuity and shows that there are plans in place for the future.

We'll all know whether this arc has been useless or not in due time. And I'd bet it won't be useless at all. Some consider Swearth to be the bottom of the barrel and I actually like it but I also read it in the volume format.
SureShot18
Transmetal Warrior
News Credits: 2
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 5
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OVERHAUL Transformers Cybertron Scout complete w/ Cyber Key s9d7 2005 231102A"
OVERHAUL Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SCATTORSHOT Transformers Cybertron Scout complete w/ Cyber Key s67k 2005 231102A"
SCATTORSHOT Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OBSIDIAN Transformers RID Robots In Disguise Basic complete Hasbro 2002 230830A"
OBSIDIAN Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SMOKESCREEN Transformers Armada McDonald's Happy Meal Fast Food 2002 210811A"
SMOKESCREEN Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATTLE FOR ENERGON Transformers Kre-o set Optimus Prime + Megatron 2012 New"
BATTLE FOR ENERGON ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "HOT SHOT Transformers Armada McDonald's Happy Meal Fast Food 2002 230719A"
HOT SHOT Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "LAND MILITARY MINI-CON TEAM Transformers Armada complete Hasbro 2002 231209A"
LAND MILITARY MINI ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MUDFLAP Transformers Cybertron Voyager complete w/ Cyber Key v6t7 2005 231101A"
MUDFLAP Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Armada McDonald's Happy Meal Fast Food 2002 230719A"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SKID-Z Transformers RID Robots In Disguise Deluxe Basic complete 2001 230821A"
SKID-Z Transformer ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WILDRIDER Transformers Legacy Deluxe Stunticon Menasor Hasbro 2022 New"
WILDRIDER Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "STARSCREAM Transformers Armada McDonald's Happy Meal Fast Food 2002 230719A"
STARSCREAM Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "STREET ACTION MINI-CON TEAM Transformers Energon complete 2004 Perceptor 230805A"
STREET ACTION MINI ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MIRAGE GT Transformers RID Robots In Disguise Mega Basic complete 2002 230821A"
MIRAGE GT Transfor ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Optimus Prime Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Matrix Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 & Up, 11.5"" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Grotusque and Scorponok Deluxe Action Figure Exclusive Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Voyager Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 08 Leader Class Movie 1 Decepticon Blackout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Protectobot Streetwise Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Voyager Class Broadside and Blunderbuss" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Deluxe Class Arcee Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Series PK Bruticus Action Figure	B3899" on AMAZON