This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Postby Deadput » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:28 pm

Motto: "Let's kick the tires and light the fires!"
Weapon: Fusion Blaster Cannon
Kurona wrote:We're going back to look at the Lost Light in a few issues as confirmed by Roberts, Rodimus' character is actually growing and Lawrence is a fine artist. I can understand why many feel his art style doesn't fit the book (a lot of people have said it's a bit too cartoony for the tone of the comic; I disagree with it myself but the criticism does make sense) and I can certainly understand preferring Milne for the comic, but in what way is Lawrence's art bad? Because personally I'm seeing some gorgeous lineart. Well, gorgeous lineart a little obscured by the image quality because iTunes previews do that for some reason; but gorgeous lineart nonetheless.

I was exaggerating about going back to the lost light but I'm still annoyed that apparently confirming Rodimus and Co being obviously not dead and introducing more pointless oc's like Anode cluttering up the story is more important then Getaway and the Lost Light.

Roberts can't write character progression without resetting it most of the time like bringing Rewind back from the dead or copping out on death for important characters, Rodimus reverting to spoiled child every time he does something responsible and leader like.

Lawrence is a good artist himself it's that that his art would be more suited to more light hearted stories that's what I mean.
Va'al wrote:
Deadput wrote:Actually I don't know my mother's name is Valerie so is Va'al actually my mother?

Yes. Now go to your room and don't play with yourself.

Deadput
Faction Commander
News Credits: 54
Alt Mode: A mec suit for redundancy.
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 9
Endurance: 3
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10
Skill: 5

Postby Kurona » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:04 pm

Motto: "Don't forget to subscribe to the official Doctor Who youtube channel"
Weapon: Temperature Variant H20 Gun
SureShot18 wrote:I'll admit something has felt off to me but I figured it was just that this is the first arc I've read issue by issue and not in a set of 5 books in a volume. I still really enjoy LL and Issue 3 was excellent in particular.

I'd argue that Lawrence is a little too cartoony for the tone of the book but he still has really good art. It took some getting used to but I like it.

Should they get back to the LL ,deal with the mutineers, and continue the quest? Absolutely but I've always seen MTMTE/LL as a book mostly for the characters and exRID/TAAO/OP as the plot based books. And besides, if they finished the quest where would my favorite TF fiction be?

They have thrown a lot at us since the re numbering but in due time all of the loose ends will be tied up. I can wait a while for that too, keeps continuity and shows that there are plans in place for the future.

We'll all know whether this arc has been useless or not in due time. And I'd bet it won't be useless at all. Some consider Swearth to be the bottom of the barrel and I actually like it but I also read it in the volume format.

Another fan of Swearth! I thought I was the only one; and that all others existed only in myths and legends of the old world lost to time.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 191
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 2
Endurance: 1
Courage: 3
Firepower: 1
Skill: 2

Postby ArmadaPrime » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:37 pm

Weapon: Requiem Blaster
Kurona wrote:Another fan of Swearth! I thought I was the only one; and that all others existed only in myths and legends of the old world lost to time.

Swearth was self-indulgent, incredibly silly, and arguably didn't add a great deal to the overall story, and I won't have a bad word said against it [-(
Personally I love that MTMTE/LL can have that kind of farsical fun whilst driving home some really solid emotional character points. Swearth fans unite!

Regarding the art I definitely prefer Milne's but Lawrence has done a fantastic job overall, in fact in this preview I feel it's easily as strong as Milne. The "cartoonish" idea is thrown around a lot and I see where people are coming from but I think I have however figured out where my (minor) personal issues lie: its the big boys. Most small or regular-sized bots I've no trouble at all with, but to my eye Lawrence seems to draw bigger bots- Megs, Magnus, and their ilk- in a slightly squatter, softer, less imposing way (the panel in issue 1 of Magnus on stage boring the newbies to death springs to mind). Particularly considering many of these can be the more stoic bots among the cast, this can feel a little jarring.
I'm no artist so I couldnt tell you whether this is down to a stylistic choice, having space in the panels, or even just perspective messing with my perception of them, but I think that's personally what's throwing me off slightly.

Also to quell some fears, Roberts mentioned recently in a podcast (Soun.wav cast I believe?) that after this arc wraps up, we're going to have a brief story on Troja Major, which has been name-dropped a few times in the comic but never significantly, and then back to the Lost Light by I think Autumn/Winter time this year.
Certified Expert™ in reading wikis to pretend I know more about things than I actually do
ArmadaPrime
Brainmaster
News Credits: 3

Postby Terrsolpix » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:17 am

Motto: "Once you go movie you can never go back"
Weapon: Wrist-Launched Heat-Seeking Missiles
I don't read the comics, but this looks good, like, really good. Time to actually read something and not refresh the same page over and over again.
Accidental movie collector, complete SS fanboy.
Terrsolpix
Combiner
News Credits: 10
Watch Terrsolpix on YouTube
Alt Mode: Some silly cybertronian tank
Strength: ???
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 5
Endurance: 2
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 1

Postby WreckerJack » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:04 am

Motto: "The complain train is leaving the station."
Weapon: Arc-Welders
I have actually been enjoying Lost Light more than some of the issues of MTMTE. I feel like they have improved by using a smoother writing style that is easier to follow than some of MTMTE was. I always got lost with those time tavel arcs and sometimes when they did several arcs an issue it messed with my brain. I keep saying I should re-read the older issues now that I am not under a time crunch to do so but I sometimes don't feel like boggling my mind over again. I am probably just being lazy because I do enjoy the characters and I know once I get started I will enjoy it.
WreckerJack
Godmaster
News Credits: 295
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Endurance: 8
Courage: 7
Firepower: 7
Skill: 8

Postby Big Grim » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:04 am

Weapon: Galaxial Rocket Launcher
ricemazter wrote:Meanwhile, in just these 4 issues of LL, we've gotten so many new plot points to deal with, and it's infuriating that none of them are related to the quest or the Lost Light Mutiny.

None of it is related that we know of. If there's one thing Roberts has been good at, it's laying down little pieces of information that become relevant at a later point.

SG Roadbuster wrote:could be worse, idw could be letting Livio Ramondelli ruin this book, the way he's ruined so many others.

Harsh. I personally believe Ramondelli has come on leaps and bounds since his early work.

SureShot18 wrote:Some consider Swearth to be the bottom of the barrel and I actually like it but I also read it in the volume format.

I like Swearth for what it was. It was interesting and led somewhere. It was quirky, which is something I love about MTMTE and now LL. And gave us so many awesome holo-matter avatars. (Megatron and Rodimus in particular!)
Big Grim
Headmaster
News Credits: 148

Postby SG Roadbuster » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:02 am

SG Roadbuster wrote:could be worse, idw could be letting Livio Ramondelli ruin this book, the way he's ruined so many others.

Harsh. I personally believe Ramondelli has come on leaps and bounds since his early work.

that is true i suppose. it used to be runny diarrhea, now its a solid, healthy turd.
nothing destroys my enthusiasm for an issue of a Transformers comic than seeing Ramondelli's name in the art credits. IDW has a stable of amazing artists. Lawrence, Milne, Su, Burcham, Coller, Durocher, Stone, Griffin, Guidi, Sakamoto, Zama. and so on. I dont understand why they keep letting Ramondelli ruin books. at this point i'd rather see Pat Lee or Rob Liefeld doing art.
SG Roadbuster
Minibot

Postby Kurona » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:03 am

SG Roadbuster wrote:

that is true i suppose. it used to be runny diarrhea, now its a solid, healthy turd.
nothing destroys my enthusiasm for an issue of a Transformers comic than seeing Ramondelli's name in the art credits. IDW has a stable of amazing artists. Lawrence, Milne, Su, Burcham, Coller, Durocher, Stone, Griffin, Guidi, Sakamoto, Zama. and so on. I dont understand why they keep letting Ramondelli ruin books. at this point i'd rather see Pat Lee or Rob Liefeld doing art.

Honestly, thinking of Lee or Liefeld's art makes Ramondelli seem like heaven to me...
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby Big Grim » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:14 am

Weapon: Galaxial Rocket Launcher
Kurona wrote:Honestly, thinking of Lee or Liefeld's art makes Ramondelli seem like heaven to me...

Agreed. Wholeheartedly.
Big Grim
Headmaster
News Credits: 148

Postby Quint » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:27 am

The sheer volume of exposition is getting ridiculous. Poor writing. So often characters are standing around explaining the plot, and in this preview they're even doing it in a supposedly perilous situation.

Why couldn't we discover the key's obsolescence at the same time as the council?

Even if that revelation is a fake out, I'm sure that will probably unfold off panel too.

I'm actually at a point where I'm hate reading this comic.
Quint
Micromaster

Postby Skullcrunchberries » Tue May 02, 2017 1:54 pm

Motto: "It's time to pull up a groove and get fabulous."
Weapon: Twin Rocket Launchers
Hey y'all, I apologize if this has been touched on already but I had a thought and decided to put it here. I accept boos and booze as payment for not reading through the thread entirely.

So, I agree with Scotty P's supposition that something will happen to Terminus (probably the only reason they brought him back, to be honest) which will cause Megatron to fly into a rage, probably killing most people sans the Rod Pals, and potentially bring him back to his old ways, thus complicating their inevitable return to the standard universe.

But what if Megatron decided to stay in the Functionist universe?

This is, of course, assuming he has some sort of psychotic and/or character break. But think about it: the Functionist doctrine is reigniting his original principles and philosophies. The populace is already in a subjugated mindset, making a transition to a new, "cleaner and freer" way of living an easy one. Megatron could easily justify it as needing to guide these people into a new way of living (after exterminating the Functionists, of course), seeing it as essentially a clean slate version of Cybertron. The war never happened here, and neither did the atrocities he committed. In this way, he would return to the despot he's classically been, but in his mind be completely justified in doing so. It's also a way for the writers to bring back "evil Megatron" without just saying "graaaggghhh he's evil now for some reason *coughcoughhasbrotoldustocoughcough* buy more toys plz" and potentially adds some interesting stories when Prime others find out.

If this is the wrong place for this kind of post, I apologize and would appreciate a redirection. If not, thoughts?

So these three dyslexic men walk into a bra... oh HAHAHA I am so funny
Skullcrunchberries
Headmaster Jr
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Endurance: 10
Courage: 9
Firepower: 6
Skill: 5

IDW Transformers: Lost Light #6 cover by Alex Milne

Postby Kurona » Fri May 05, 2017 4:55 pm

On his Twitter account, comic artist and More Than Meets The Eye regular Alex Milne has tweeted his cover for Lost Light #6, set to release next month as the conclusion to the Dissolution storyline. Check out the cover and the inked version below!

Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby ArmadaPrime » Fri May 05, 2017 5:05 pm

Weapon: Requiem Blaster
Whilst it's obviously a very busy (and gorgeously detailed) pile of gears, I don't count more than twelve of individual faces or pairs of hands.
...have we just had our first look at the (partially transformed) key to vector sigma?
Last edited by ArmadaPrime on Fri May 05, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Certified Expert™ in reading wikis to pretend I know more about things than I actually do
ArmadaPrime
Brainmaster

Postby SureShot18 » Fri May 05, 2017 5:22 pm

Motto: "Certainty of death, small chance of success...What are we waiting for?"
Weapon: Gattling Gun
That cover. =P~
SureShot18
Transmetal Warrior
News Credits: 2
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 5
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Postby griftimus prime » Fri May 05, 2017 6:44 pm

Motto: "you will have no freedom. whether you are sentient or not."
Weapon: 16 Cannons
aside from the overly human looking face. this is a very awesome.
griftimus prime
Brainmaster
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 10+

Postby bodrock » Fri May 05, 2017 7:48 pm

Motto: "Spare me this mockery of justice!"
Weapon: Heat-Seeking Laser Blasters
Can't wait to read this next week!! LOVE dat cover.
Transform & MEMEIFY!

>GAME-ON/UTAWARERUMONO/
>PretenderQuest
>On InstaGram
bodrock
City Commander
Alt Mode: Space Gangsta
Strength: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 7

Postby DecepticonFinishline » Fri May 05, 2017 10:25 pm

Motto: "Can you change the radio to KZUM, please?"
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
griftimus prime wrote:aside from the overly human looking face. this is a very awesome.

Lol, the only reason I came here was to say that Megatron and I have the same nose. 8-)
DecepticonFinishline
Targetmaster
News Credits: 14
Alt Mode: Taxi cab
Strength: 3
Endurance: 2
Courage: 4
Firepower: 8

Postby Kurona » Sat May 06, 2017 3:59 am

Iiiiit's coming~

Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby Va'al » Sun May 07, 2017 7:49 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Deheheheh Josh Perez goin G2.

Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby bodrock » Sun May 07, 2017 11:06 am

Motto: "Spare me this mockery of justice!"
Weapon: Heat-Seeking Laser Blasters
*DIES FROM AWESOMENESS *
Transform & MEMEIFY!

>GAME-ON/UTAWARERUMONO/
>PretenderQuest
>On InstaGram
bodrock
City Commander
Alt Mode: Space Gangsta
Strength: 8
Speed: 6

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Sun May 07, 2017 9:14 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
Needs more purple and rail gun
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Strength: 5
Courage: 10

Postby Rodimus Prime » Mon May 08, 2017 6:30 am

Motto: "Individual freedom above all else."
G2. Always a good decision.

So the 1st story arc of Lost Light is about to come to a close. Has it met your expectations?
........Image
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 22

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Mon May 08, 2017 10:31 am

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
Rodimus Prime wrote:So the 1st story arc of Lost Light is about to come to a close. Has it met your expectations?

For me, no. It's felt subpar and I haven't really gotten into it. I'll read through the story once or twice, but that's it, just wait for the next one. OP and TAAO: I'll read through them multiple times over the course of many days. Those 2 books are just far more interesting right now, and Lost Light it feels just hasn't found the bite for me yet
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Strength: 5
Courage: 10

Postby Kurona » Mon May 08, 2017 10:39 am

My feelings on it are... a bit over the place, and I think I'll only really be able to sum up how I feel when we get Issue 6 next month. I agree with Scotty in that it's definitely an arc that feels like it has to be read back-to-back in a row, issue by issue doesn't quite work. I'll have to re-read it soon.

Even aside from that though there's been some great character moments. We're continuing Megatron's dilemma, I've been loving Anode; and of course we really can't not mention Brainstorm and Nightbeat squeeing.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby ScottyP » Mon May 08, 2017 11:29 am

Weapon: Battle Blades
Rodimus Prime wrote:G2. Always a good decision.

So the 1st story arc of Lost Light is about to come to a close. Has it met your expectations?
It's written as a trade and that'd be more OK with me if Dying of the Light, Titans Return, All Hail Optimus, and New Cybertron weren't also the same way. I'm kinda looking forward to the upcoming stretches of standalone stories and two parters/etc. Those are the bricks that make it all work and let creativity really flourish when it comes time to unveil the house that they've built, and right now this parade of homes is starting to get too long.

I love having three good ongoings but when they're all in full-on trade paperback epic longer form story arc mode for 12 months+, it starts to make you miss, say, Spotlights.

Edit: to actually answer your question, I don't know. Because it's written as this six issue story, I feel like I need all six to appropriately judge its merit. :stares at unfinished review for 5, wondering how to not make the last part a copy/paste of 4's review:
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 639
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #4 2nd ptg Image Comics 2023 1023IM895 (CA) Howard (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #4 2nd ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers ROBOTS IN DISGUISE #36 IDW Comics 2014 Days of Deception 200211b"
Transformers ROBOT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #3 Cvr C 1:10 Image Comics 2024 3C GI JOE 1223IM273 (CA) Boss + Wordie"
NEW!
DUKE #3 Cvr C 1:10 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #3 1st ptg Marvel Comics 1985 (CA) Texeira (W) Salicrup 171019F"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE AND THE TRANSFORMERS #2 Marvel Comics 1987 (CA) Trimpe 230915J"
GI JOE AND THE TRA ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #20 Marvel Comics 1986 (A/CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 210422A"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS ESCAPE #4 Cvr A IDW Comics 2021 JAN210504 4A (CA) McGuire-Smith"
TRANSFORMERS ESCAP ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #11 Marvel Comics 1985 (A/CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 230926E"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS '84 Secrets & Lies #2 Cvr A IDW Comics 2020 MAR200703 2A (CA) Guidi"
TRANSFORMERS '84 S ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #49 Marvel Comics 1989 (W) Budiansky (A/CA) Delbo 210422A"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #6 Cvr C 1:10 Image Comics 2024 Skybound 0124IM321 6C (CA) Arocena"
NEW!
TRANSFORMERS #6 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers PRIMACY #4 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2014 4RI SEP140388 (CA) Griffith"
Transformers PRIMA ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #60 Marvel Comics 1989 (W) Furman (A/CA) Delbo 210422A"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers DAWN OF THE PREDACUS BotCon One-Shot IDW Comics 2016 240415A"
NEW!
Transformers DAWN ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Toys Optimus Prime Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Matrix Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 & Up, 11.5"" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Nemesis Prime (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Outback" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Terrorcon Blot" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Swoop" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 09 Voyager Class Movie 2 Thundercracker" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Voyager Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dreadwind" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Skywarp Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 04 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Ratchet" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Swindle" on AMAZON