This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Postby Carnivius_Prime » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:06 pm

Motto: "A cunning smile is more devastating than the fiercest weapon."
Weapon: Anti-Thermal Cannon
Not really related to IDW but I love these Geoff Senior pics on his site. Both for conventions and depicting Transformers at those locations where the conventions were held.

Megatron and a very blue (G2?) Grimlock battle at the Isle of Wight (that grass looks a bit too toxic with that choice of green but other than that and the super bright sky in both images I love this)
megatron_grimlock.jpg

Unicron obliterating the seaside town of Brighton. I've always loved Senior's rather savage badass version of Unicron as opposed to the mostly immobile version depicted in the 86 movie.
Unicron_v_Brighton_copy.jpg

Still by far my fave TF artist. There are those who do better defined details and shapes and such but none have the sharp kinetic style I crave from my Transformers comics (and I still far prefer the way he draws G1 faces than any other TF artist since... Roche is probably among my least favourite for that..too many weird goblin faces...)

Follow his Instagram for cool Transformers pics. :) https://www.instagram.com/senior.geoff/

Anyways i'll leave this topic now. Enjoy your idw comics, dudes. :)
I have anxiety, depression and aspergers syndrome so my behaviour can be erratic. I don't mean offense to anyone. Just very picky about my Transformers collecting. You're all cool! :)

Likes: Bayverse, Marvel UK G1, Geoff Senior art, '86 movie (more for style/soundtrack rather than Star Wars plot)
Dislikes: Bumblebee movie (lousy rehashed dumb crud), TFA, G1 cartoon, IDW G1, BW/BM, MP. The entire concept of Autobot Megatron
Carnivius_Prime
City Commander
News Credits: 19

Postby ZeroWolf » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:47 pm

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Weapon: Battle Blades
That unicron pic is epic!
Got news for Seibertron? Share it here!
ZeroWolf
News Admin
News Credits: 1350

Postby Rodimus Prime » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:27 pm

Motto: "Individual freedom above all else."
ZeroWolf wrote:That unicron pic is epic!
Agreed. I also agree with comic Unicron being more menacing than movie Unicron, even though the animation in the scene when he transforms is beautifully done.

Even though my all-time favorites are Andrew Wildman and Guido Guidi, I also like Senior's work a lot. I didn't care for his style when I was younger, but I appreciate it more now. Did he do the entire run of the Marvel UK comics?
........Image
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 22

Postby ZeroWolf » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:34 pm

Not all of them but he did do the majority. Never realised he did zoids either, loved that one as a kid.
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby Quint » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:28 pm

Nah, he was used quite sparingly, usually for the first part of one of Simon Furman's epics.

It was quite a disappointment, even as a nipper, knowing that Legacy of Unicron was going to be his last UK interior.

However when he returned a couple of years later, it was a treat.

As for Lost Light 19... when was that pushed back??

Was looking forward to read it today :(
Quint
Micromaster

Full Preview for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #19

Postby Va'al » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:15 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Fellow Seibertronian Spades has shared with us the full preview - courtesy of Comic Crusaders - for next week's new comic from IDW Publishing and their Transformers ongoing series: Lost Light #19! We return to recaps, to Scavengers, to Team Rodimus, and plenty of new challenges, with the art of Transformers comics veteran EJ Su - check it all out below, and join us next week for a review and more discussion as the final arc of the series begins here!

DEATH FROM ABOVE!

Years ago, the crew of the Lost Light fought a demonic Cybertronian mutant that fed on its victims’ souls. Years later, Rodimus and Co. are about to discover that the only thing worse than a sparkeater… is an army of sparkeaters!

Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby ZeroWolf » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:31 am

Grimlock to the rescue!
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby BATTLEMASTER IIC » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:55 am

Grimlock jumped off the ship in his T-Rex mode :APPLAUSE:

I think a bunch of sparkeaters, and by extension Rodimus' mutinous crew, are toast. Not sure that they, especially Mainframe, can be saved.
BATTLEMASTER IIC
Vehicon

Postby Stormshot_Prime » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:43 am

Motto: "Primus is in his heaven, all’s right with the world."
Weapon: Fusion-Powered Particle Blaster
Who’s that in the ship with Riptide, First Aid, and Thunderclash?
Stormshot_Prime
Vehicon
Alt Mode: All-Terrain Battle SUV
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Courage: 7
Firepower: 4
Skill: 7

Postby RobRobRobRobRob » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:22 am

Motto: "Manners make the man."
Weapon: Sonic Umbrella
I'm guessing the guy with First Aid and the others is Wipe-Out. It sounds weird, but the designs more or less line up. It may seem unlikely, given that Wipe-Out's still (supposed) to be on Troja Major, but Grimlock just fell out of the sky and the Scavengers ended up on Mederi when they asked The Magnificence to take them to Garrus-9, so what's one more random party member for this last arc or two? I could be very wrong, but who knows?
RobRobRobRobRob
Mini-Con
News Credits: 35
Alt Mode: Vosnian Walking Stick

Postby Rodimus Prime » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:14 pm

Motto: "Individual freedom above all else."
:lol: :lol: Love that last line. This one looks like it'll be fun. ;)^
........Image
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 22

Postby AlphaBass » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:49 pm

BATTLEMASTER IIC wrote:Grimlock jumped off the ship in his T-Rex mode :APPLAUSE:

I think a bunch of sparkeaters, and by extension Rodimus' mutinous crew, are toast. Not sure that they, especially Mainframe, can be saved.

I was going to ask if they could, since Brainstorm created a Sparkeater Gun that created the one on the LL, so maybe he has a way to reverse the effects?

Of course, with the world ending, it may not matter...
AlphaBass
Micromaster
News Credits: 1

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:52 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
I love the panel of Magnus using Crankcase as a gun :lol: :lol: :lol:

And that very same section reminds me of Regeneration 1 issue 100, the whole "They're Autobots!" part and Grimlock slaughtering bots turned to monsters
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 8

Review of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #19

Postby Va'al » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:39 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Grimlock Rushes In
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis
Years ago, the crew of the Lost Light fought a demonic Cybertronian mutant that fed on its victims’ souls. Years later, Rodimus and Co. are about to discover that the only thing worse than a sparkeater… is an army of sparkeaters!

cue title

Story
Despite the scheduling issues, despite the digital vs print clashes, despite everything in-universe and out, we're here. We're actually here, at the end of The Quest, with a gaggle of questions still needing answers, and an army of sparkeaters at the proverbial door: Lost Light enters its last story arc, and we're here for it. Are you?

Probably not

The question is obviously rhetorical, as you're reading the review - but there is a sense of dread even in the lighter moments that the comic tries bringing with the best new pairing (that was bound to happen, and now that it does, yes, very much so), hinting at several heavy moments if not in this issue then most definitely in the arc. So I ask again: are we ready?

Swervefire? Misswerve?

The best character and related moments that stand out, ignoring the above for one moment, have to do with the dinobot that was told to wait - and obviously will not and didn't: Grimlock. He's powerful, he's sweet, he's charming and caring, and he gave fellow staffer ScottyP a fanboy blush* during his reading of the issue.

MAGNUS YES

If, then, we consider all the plot propelling and thread gathering - and if this has been said before for a previous issue I realise I was very naive but we're here now - and the way in which those are done, used, and employed throughout the issue, I'll have really only one thing to say: this is very much a Roberts script, and a fine display of his skills.

Art
As we have known for a while now, art duties will be shifting across the final arc to ease the double monthly billing (ahem), meaning that we see an old flame of the Transformers comics make his return for this issue: E.J. Su! Many fans will be very pleased about this, and the lineart is indeed very very good - but I can't let one critique slide: the shading and crosshatching that shows up over a number of characters, scenes and elements of the otherwise great visual work overall, casting.. well, a shadow unnecessarily.

see Thunderclash's chest

The colours provided by Joana Lafuente do attempt to ease some of the scratchier, more jarring linework, but with a base so dark already, even her impressive skills at keeping visual continuity and coherence with the regular art seen so far in the book cannot mask what can result very distracting indeed (see above for example).

moooody

Again, letterer Tom B Long ensures not only that the pacing of the interactions hit their mark, but also takes clearly a lot of pleasure and fun in some of the louder, wider pages of action and noises, with some of the best screams and KRUNCHes that I had seen in the series so far (see above!).

The main cover art, featuring Nick Roche and Josh Burcham displaying Team Rodimus ready to face whatever is thrown their way, is darkly mirrored by the duo's own counterpoint offered in the variant you can see in the thumbnail - and also found in our databse entry here - the two sides that used to be one has to tug at someone's strings hard.

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

As I said in my opening remarks: we're here. And so is everyone else. Something that Roberts has unmistakenly been able to do since his first appearance as an official writer on the IDW comics, has been to seed (or retroactively make it so) plot points and details for the reader to almost entirely forget before bringing them back for a wider tapestry. And in this final arc, that skill is turned up to what seems to be at least a 12 - here's looking forward to a satisfying landing, with a run-up this sizeable.

It begins

All in all, it's a number of a series that will confirm to be liked by most readers who enjoy this style of script, will bring in fans looking for some official EJ Su Transformers artwork (my caveat above remains), and will not be liked by those who dislike the narrative techniques deployed in MTMTE and LL so far.

. :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: out of :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT: :BOT:

*I thought of many jokes involving dinosaurs and bones, be thankful I avoided them until this postscript.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby ZeroWolf » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:19 am

Thanks for the review va'al, it's sad to see this ending but I'm happy he's getting to end it his way unrushed (personal opinion may differ) I've seen other writers fail to tell an end in a convincing manner (I'm looking at you Tite Kubo, bleach could have been saved...)
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby Big Grim » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:45 am

Weapon: Galaxial Rocket Launcher
Looking forward to this. Heck, I've been rereading MTMTE and Lost Light and blimey. There's a LOT I missed last time round! It really has come together in a remarkable way.
Big Grim
Headmaster
News Credits: 148

Postby Randomhero » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:38 am

This is a great issue! I don’t have anything be critical over. It’s fast paced, there’s actions, good use of exposition. If anything the only gripe would be that those sparkeaters really are just standing around letting stuff happen but I’d argue they seem domesticated so it’s fine.

It’s a bit predictable but that’s been LL for a while. I said the crew were the sparkeater army, Getaway and starsaber were more than likely the only ones not turned and Tyrest would be coming back as one of the Grand Architects lieutenants but I’m not gonna praise me figuring it out. There’s just loose ends and when you’ve only got 7 issues left it’s been easy to see what’s coming in sorts.’

No I liked this issue. It’s amping up. Wonderful to see EJ back and doing art. It may be more appropriate for OP but I’m just happy to see him back in transformers.
Last edited by Randomhero on Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Randomhero
Gestalt
News Credits: 3

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:35 am

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
"Mutineer 1 and Mutineer 2, I'll get to you later" or something like that :lol: :lol:

Also, Swerve and Misfire are the perfect pairing here
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby Ishin Ookami » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:31 am

Misfire (to Grimlock): Hows the Baby
Ultra Magnus: Nothing makes sense anymore. :(

Easily my favorite part.

I'm loving so much of where this is going. Though I'm hoping Thunderclash finally gets to shine. The guy has been stricken with an Illness, turned inside out, and cleaved in half. I want to see him finally live up to his rep.

Also I didn't expect to see Sporponok show up again. His and Rodimus's rematch should be interesting.
Ishin Ookami
Mini-Con

Postby Randomhero » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:53 am

That’s the point. Thunderclash is a joke. He’s Ace Rimmer. Everyone talks about how amazing he is but you don’t see how great he is. He is literally a gag character.

Why would you think scorponok wouldn’t return? He’s behind so much with the Cog machinations .
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby ZeroWolf » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:01 am

Random...who's your post directed at? No one mentioned scorponok...
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby Randomhero » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:35 am

ZeroWolf wrote:Random...who's your post directed at? No one mentioned scorponok...

you don’t see it either?! WTF!? It’s not on the board but it’s on the article! I thought it was glitchy or something on my end! Go to the article on the site, not the board user ishin ookami has a post that Thunderclash and Scorponok.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby ZeroWolf » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:52 am

Randomhero wrote:
ZeroWolf wrote:Random...who's your post directed at? No one mentioned scorponok...

you don’t see it either?! WTF!? It’s not on the board but it’s on the article! I thought it was glitchy or something on my end! Go to the article on the site, not the board user ishin ookami has a post that Thunderclash and Scorponok.

Well that's weird. You're right, it's there but not... :HEADHURTS:
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby SkyFire Prime » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:11 pm

I really liked the line work!
SkyFire Prime
Micromaster
News Credits: 1

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:37 pm

ZeroWolf wrote:
Randomhero wrote:

Well that's weird. You're right, it's there but not... :HEADHURTS:

He's a brand new user, his forum post hasn't been approved yet. Burn or another mod will approve the post as soon as they are on. I can see it on here because I'm staff, so I do know it's here.

As for why it's visible on the front page, that's weird. But the swear filter doesn't work and lots of forum pics don't show up either, so there is that.

Also, wonder if Cyclonus is gonna take on just Star Saber and Rodimus the other 2? Still really hoping Getaway gets a triple pipe blast to the brain
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SANDY SHADES Transformers BotBots Series 5 Frequent Flyers glasses Hasbro 2020"
SANDY SHADES Trans ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "NAMPY Transformers BotBots Series 3 Goo Goo Groopies 2019 Hasbro Baby Crib"
NAMPY Transformers ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "HIPTOAST (Light version) Transformers BotBots Series 4 Fresh Squeezes 2020"
HIPTOAST (Light ve ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "UNILLA ICEQUEENCONE Transformers BotBots Series 1 Sugar Shocks Vanilla Sundae"
UNILLA ICEQUEENCON ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OUTTA ORDER Transformers BotBots Series 5 Retro Replays arcade game Hasbro 2020"
OUTTA ORDER Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Kre-o Capsule RED ALERT Transformers Kreon G1 toy Japan Takara Tomy 2014 New"
Kre-o Capsule RED ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SCATTERSHOT Transformers Kre-o Micro-Changers Age Extinction Series 2 Kreon"
SCATTERSHOT Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "FLAT FLOUR FACE Transformers BotBots Series 1.5 Bakery Bytes rolling pin import"
FLAT FLOUR FACE Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SUMTHIN FISHY Transformers BotBots Con Crew Fantastic Fuelers fish taco 2019"
SUMTHIN FISHY Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "HOUND Transformers Kre-o Battle Changer Building Toy Hasbro 2015 New"
HOUND Transformers ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TELLY Transformers BotBots Series 5 Retro Replays TV television Hasbro 2020"
TELLY Transformers ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "FOTTLE BARTS Transformers BotBots Series 1 Greaser Gang 2018 ketchup bottle"
FOTTLE BARTS Trans ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SWAPBOX 16 Transformers BotBots Series 4 Retro Replays Hasbro 2020 gameboy"
SWAPBOX 16 Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GRAVE RAVE Transformers BotBots Series 3 Lost Bots deodorant Hasbro 2019"
GRAVE RAVE Transfo ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Grotusque and Scorponok Deluxe Action Figure Exclusive Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Unicronus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 09 Voyager Class Movie 2 Thundercracker" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Blackwing" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Megatron and Doomshot" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Skrapnel" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Class Ultra Magnus Figure(Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Clobber" on AMAZON