This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Postby ZeroWolf » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:10 pm

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Weapon: Battle Blades
I see, thanks for the explanation d-max :-) as for getaway...death is too good for him, I really hope he breaks down and realises he's beat by someone better than him.
Got news for Seibertron? Share it here!
ZeroWolf
News Admin
News Credits: 1350

Postby Ishin Ookami » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:45 pm

ZeroWolf wrote:I see, thanks for the explanation d-max :-) as for getaway...death is too good for him, I really hope he breaks down and realises he's beat by someone better than him.

Pretty sure Next Issue will be Getaway hanging back and firing off taunts as Cyclonus fights Star Saber and Rodimus fights Scorponok

I'm also curious to see what he meant when he said his life had lost meaning.
Ishin Ookami
Mini-Con

Postby Randomhero » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:16 pm

ZeroWolf wrote:I see, thanks for the explanation d-max :-) as for getaway...death is too good for him, I really hope he breaks down and realises he's beat by someone better than him.

That line about there’s little to live for makes me think he’s more a slave than a partner in all this. Please don’t victimize Getaway Roberts. Getaway has done some bad stuff and we’re too far in to sympathize him.
Randomhero
Gestalt
News Credits: 3

Postby ZeroWolf » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:41 pm

I agree, I like relatable villains but some times, we do need irredeemable scumbags who are in it just for themselves. They all can't be "I only did these mean things because some one else told me to do it"
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby Randomhero » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:46 pm

ZeroWolf wrote:I agree, I like relatable villains but some times, we do need irredeemable scumbags who are in it just for themselves. They all can't be "I only did these mean things because some one else told me to do it"

Exactly, no one forced Getaway to use Tailgate as collateral damage, form a mutiny, murder 30+ autobots for Sunder. This is on him. I get a Lando vibe off him with that line. He made a deal to save his own skin at the expense of everyone else. For all intended purposes Tyrest would have had him executed right away when seeing him but it continues my theory Getaway has knowledge the Grand Architect needs or has some use for him. It seems like he(it) forces people into servitude. We saw that with Scorponok. Scorponoks obviously not loyal, he doesn’t wear the cog symbol and we know he’s been scheming against the grand architect from the final scavengers story.

Really makes me start to wonder who the Grand architect is. He(it)’s obviously that giant spark...could he be the knights of Cybertron all merged together not unlike what Megatron was planning in Beast Machines and gained omnipotence. I hope this isn’t an Ego from a guardians of the Galaxy vol 2 plan but I can see it going that way. They mention drilling...could it be some insane plan to merge all life into one being? I mean come one...”till all are one”
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby Quint » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:00 pm

Randomhero wrote:That’s the point. Thunderclash is a joke. He’s Ace Rimmer. Everyone talks about how amazing he is but you don’t see how great he is. He is literally a gag character.

Why would you think scorponok wouldn’t return? He’s behind so much with the Cog machinations .

Yeah I see where you're coming from with Thunderclash, and that does work...

... Right up until the moment Thunderclash joins the crew and is demystified :lol:

As we near the crunch, so many big characters are seemingly demoted to de-powered peripheral players, such as Thunderclash and Tyrest; the latter's reveal didn't even warrant a final page panel.

Roller too, and he's a prime example of Roberts' sophomoric will to outwit the audience precluding narrative sense or value. Roller's basically just room meat, whereas he could have been so much more, albeit now-dead.

Nonetheless, as messy and frantically rushed as it all is, it's an entertaining read.
Quint
Micromaster

Postby Randomhero » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:03 pm

For all intended purposes Thunderclash should have died when he was shot in the head. I wouldn’t have said a negative thing if he hadn’t been with them and first aid said “we lost Thunderclash on the way to save him”

He’s been regarded as the greatest autobot ever. Someone even Optimus Prime looks up to and now he’s here and literally just a grunt to a point here he saluted to Rodimus and Magnus and yells “SIRS!” Someone will that large of reputation-guilty or not of participating in the mutiny- would be the guy you’d resign your command to. Not unlike prowl did so to Jazz and Kip in All Hail megatron. He’s the guy who’s said have lead the most successful campaigns out of anyone there.

It’s an issue with roberts and it’s been an issue through the entire run. Building character to be super powerful to stupid and ridiculous degrees. overlord, the DJD and Thunderclash. Characters who for reasons should just be background characters because they can’t be used properly. overlord was made indestructible so it’s literally “how do you defeat him?” The DJD wiped out phase sixers and over 200 quantum autobots but needed an army and high tailed it when they were coming for Shockwave when he called for backup. Thunderclash who is the perfect autobot and now he’s around you can’t really use him how you’ve built him up.

Little nitpick but it’s there and a minor issue.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby AlphaBass » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:20 am

Other minor issue - guess this means Defensor's death is real.
AlphaBass
Micromaster
News Credits: 1

Postby ZeroWolf » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:55 am

AlphaBass wrote:Other minor issue - guess this means Defensor's death is real.

True but we'll just mark that down now as wanting to make star saber a legitimate threat. Besides no one will be alive in this continuity soon ;-)
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby Randomhero » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:58 am

ZeroWolf wrote:
AlphaBass wrote:Other minor issue - guess this means Defensor's death is real.

True but we'll just mark that down now as wanting to make star saber a legitimate threat. Besides no one will be alive in this continuity soon ;-)

It’s so hard not to think that way. What is there? 20 issues left all together? It’s hard not to look at “we’ll the universe is closing so all bets are off” but shouldn’t have that mentality. It takes away depth but like I said it’s difficult not to think that way.

It’s like I’ve said before I don’t believe it’s all going to end with Unicron devouring the universe. I do think he’s going to be defeated and they will have a happy ended. There will be collateral damage but a 13 year old continuity deserves it a good send off.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby ZeroWolf » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:12 am

Don't let allnewsuperrobot hear you say that, he thinks unicron needs to be allowed to destroy everything so he can be seen as a proper threat. My other post is in jest though a little as I can't see them not honouring the end of the animated movie and the marvel comics run. I also wonder still if they could segue from unicrons destruction to the new continuity ala transformers cybertron
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby Randomhero » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:41 am

ZeroWolf wrote:Don't let allnewsuperrobot hear you say that, he thinks unicron needs to be allowed to destroy everything so he can be seen as a proper threat. My other post is in jest though a little as I can't see them not honouring the end of the animated movie and the marvel comics run. I also wonder still if they could segue from unicrons destruction to the new continuity ala transformers cybertron

I’ve thought about that too. Not unlike what DC dieting new 52 where the universe gets remade.

It’s like I’ve joked before “EVERYONE INTO THE FUNCTIONALIST UNIVERSE! MEGATRON HAS BEEN PREPPING IT FOR US!”

There’s gotta be plans to bring him back to the comics someday. Years down the road he shows back up. It even make a miniseries of his tales there. If it wasn’t all concluding I would have liked to see James do that after LL ended.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby AlphaBass » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:10 am

Randomhero wrote:
ZeroWolf wrote:Don't let allnewsuperrobot hear you say that, he thinks unicron needs to be allowed to destroy everything so he can be seen as a proper threat. My other post is in jest though a little as I can't see them not honouring the end of the animated movie and the marvel comics run. I also wonder still if they could segue from unicrons destruction to the new continuity ala transformers cybertron

I’ve thought about that too. Not unlike what DC dieting new 52 where the universe gets remade.

It’s like I’ve joked before “EVERYONE INTO THE FUNCTIONALIST UNIVERSE! MEGATRON HAS BEEN PREPPING IT FOR US!”

There’s gotta be plans to bring him back to the comics someday. Years down the road he shows back up. It even make a miniseries of his tales there. If it wasn’t all concluding I would have liked to see James do that after LL ended.

I'd be very curious to see and Optimus/Megatron team up - even if it's set in the Functionist universe, I'm intrigued about them and how easily they could take over the galaxy. Maybe Prime decides Megatron's pacifist ways aren't enough to get things done and pushes Megs to a shades of grey area where it seems like the ends justify the means.
AlphaBass
Micromaster

Postby ZeroWolf » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:24 am

AlphaBass wrote:
Randomhero wrote:

I'd be very curious to see and Optimus/Megatron team up - even if it's set in the Functionist universe, I'm intrigued about them and how easily they could take over the galaxy. Maybe Prime decides Megatron's pacifist ways aren't enough to get things done and pushes Megs to a shades of grey area where it seems like the ends justify the means.

That sounds like it would lead to a shattered glass situation :P I would like to see this take on megs again, there's still a lot to do with him.
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby Randomhero » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:41 am

The closer we get to the end the more apparent I think it was that the first arc of LL was just to get Megatron off a book he was never intended to be in. As great as he was in MTMTE he left zero impact except for Dying of The Light. Getaway was already planning the mutiny before megatron was announced as coming on board as co-captain with him already being unimpressed with rodimus’s leadership and him and atomizer already concocting a fake list to blackmail Rodimus.

Seeing as how things are being played out it just seems more and more James wanted him on the book with season two and to get back on track he needed to find a way to remove him.

Megatron has some amazing moments and it’s argued on him being the best version of Megatron ever but when you look at MTMTE/LL as a whole you do see his inclusion was a side step in it all.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby AlphaBass » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:31 pm

Randomhero wrote:The closer we get to the end the more apparent I think it was that the first arc of LL was just to get Megatron off a book he was never intended to be in. As great as he was in MTMTE he left zero impact except for Dying of The Light. Getaway was already planning the mutiny before megatron was announced as coming on board as co-captain with him already being unimpressed with rodimus’s leadership and him and atomizer already concocting a fake list to blackmail Rodimus.

Seeing as how things are being played out it just seems more and more James wanted him on the book with season two and to get back on track he needed to find a way to remove him.

Megatron has some amazing moments and it’s argued on him being the best version of Megatron ever but when you look at MTMTE/LL as a whole you do see his inclusion was a side step in it all.

The most interesting I found him was slaughterhouse. The interactions between him and Ravage, him and the rest of the team, I thought it could've been explored a lot more in detail.

Him going back in time, for example, and seeing how beautiful Cybertron once was (instead of Cyclonus) could've been a really interesting arc for him - knowing what he's known and been through, was it worth it? Could there have been a different way?

And I wasn't suggesting SG Prime, but more of a Prime that acted like Prowl.
AlphaBass
Micromaster

Postby Randomhero » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:02 pm

AlphaBass wrote:
Randomhero wrote:The closer we get to the end the more apparent I think it was that the first arc of LL was just to get Megatron off a book he was never intended to be in. As great as he was in MTMTE he left zero impact except for Dying of The Light. Getaway was already planning the mutiny before megatron was announced as coming on board as co-captain with him already being unimpressed with rodimus’s leadership and him and atomizer already concocting a fake list to blackmail Rodimus.

The most interesting I found him was slaughterhouse. The interactions between him and Ravage, him and the rest of the team, I thought it could've been explored a lot more in detail.

Him going back in time, for example, and seeing how beautiful Cybertron once was (instead of Cyclonus) could've been a really interesting arc for him - knowing what he's known and been through, was it worth it? Could there have been a different way?

That question itself was raised in elegant Chaos when rewind murdered him. He says the functionalism made a future even worse for cybertronians but the rest of the universe prospered. HOWEVER in dying of light revealed his plan was to escape and go into the past till he realized he cant run or hide or change anything and he had to accept what he did and accept it. Megatron going back and having that moment cyclonus had wouldn’t have worked because it wasn’t a beautiful cybertron that megatron dreamed of like cyclonus. Megatron wouldnt gasped in awe of prewar cybertron. He would have looked at it as a senate controlled cybertron where function dictates who you are. It’s the cybertron that made him do what he did.

Having him see that Cybertron and someone ask “was it worth it?” Megatron would have looked at whoever is asking and point at a disposable class bot or sad construction bot being pushed around by senate thugs and said said nothing because that’s what Megatron would have done.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby ZeroWolf » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:01 pm

AlphaBass wrote:

Oh I know as the club shattered glass didn't have any shades of grey like you were suggesting. I thought it offered a more role reversal swap of megs and prime. In fact on a slightly less serious note I would love a not in continuity comic just showing the (mis)adventures of buddy cops megs and prime. The banter would be fantastic.

I feel that if megs got proof what the Functionist universe was like, he would have got support from bots and cons alike.
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby Randomhero » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:59 pm

We got to see that at the end of that first arc in LL.

One thing to always remember is Megatron still believed what he did was right. He fully admits he went too far and regrets the violence he caused but he never stopped believing in his philosophy. He still regarded what he did as a revolution.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby Quint » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:04 am

Nevertheless he committed a plethora of crimes against the Transformers and organic species across the universe, including genocide no less. However, given the apparent demise of the Knights, it seems he will indeed escape the judgement - let alone punishment - he originally, purportedly, sought.

Prowl was right, and Prime was a fool for letting him go.

No doubt he'll be along to save the day before the close, but they've written themselves into a ridiculous ethical and moral dead end with Megatron's story.
Quint
Micromaster

Postby ZeroWolf » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:03 am

I don't think we'll see megs again, likewise I doubt he'll be mentioned at all in unicron. So yes he has gotten away with it but really autobot megatron was more than worth it as otherwise he would have been left to rot which is a waste of storytelling potential. Though he wasn't going to get that punishment anyway being trapped in the functionist universe.

Another comparison would be what happens at the end of Transformers Prime Predacons Rising with a newly resurrected megatron basically throwing his arms in the air and quitting and being allowed to walk away.

Though we all know what version of megs we'll end up getting in the reboot. A return to 80s super villain, a villain so competent the writers had to do his job and give him cybertron off screen.
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby Quint » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:23 am

False dichotomy there.

In-story, they were clearly wrong to let him go.

Judged as a narrative, there were still other opportunities to see Megatron brought to justice prior to his escape. It's a little facile to compartmentalise Megatron into schisms of before/after putting on the Autobrand. Repentance is not equivalent to justice in of itself... and even then, has Megatron even shown genuine contrition? He's said that he's changed, but has he sought forgiveness? As far as I'm aware, he hasn't.

It actually doesn't even require a depiction of punishment, just an acknowledgement that justice has not been served to the billions of lives he was responsible for ending.

I don't think Roberts/IDW know how to deal with a criminal of that magnitude, a murderer on that scale. So concerned are they by the minutiae of one-on-one relationships they've kind of checked out of processing the consequences of someone who could order a planet's by inches. It reminds me of this bit from Eddie Izzard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk_pHZmn5QM

I'm unfamiliar with the latest Transformers cartoons, but it's also reminiscent of Magneto in that last, terrible X-Men movie. He tears a city asunder, killing thousands, perhaps millions, but is left to walk away because he made friends with Professor X at the end. Incredible.
Quint
Micromaster

Postby ZeroWolf » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:28 am

Except he didn't escape into the functionist universe, he was abandoned there. Or are you on about the thing with the Knights? If so he was 9n course for that judgment till getaway happened and then the djd attack. Also prime let it happen because that's who prime is. Had he ordered megs to die then he would be no better, killing isn't justice. Now maybe you would have preffered that they had his spark contained but then again would that have worked with his strange body work after dark cybertron?

I think random hero said it best a couple of posts above with that plans for him went so far but were not part of the actual story of lost light, otherwise he would have appeared in this last arc. No point being bitter about it Megs is trapped in a functionist universe where he gets a do over, after all the cons were bad but the functionists are just as bad, if not worse

Now I wonder if the reboot will ever dare to get to point again, megs in chains, maybe ten years from now?
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby YoungPrime » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:55 pm

Really enjoyed this issue I give it an 8.5 out 10. They art could've been better but it's not bad.
Can't wait for the next issue.

Really gonna miss this book when it's gone.
YoungPrime
Headmaster Jr

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:05 pm

Motto: "Guilty or Innocent?
Always Guilty..."
Weapon: Particle Beam Cannon
Quint wrote:False dichotomy there.

In-story, they were clearly wrong to let him go.

Judged as a narrative, there were still other opportunities to see Megatron brought to justice prior to his escape. It's a little facile to compartmentalise Megatron into schisms of before/after putting on the Autobrand. Repentance is not equivalent to justice in of itself... and even then, has Megatron even shown genuine contrition? He's said that he's changed, but has he sought forgiveness? As far as I'm aware, he hasn't.

It actually doesn't even require a depiction of punishment, just an acknowledgement that justice has not been served to the billions of lives he was responsible for ending.

I think that speaks more to the contrived means of his "surrender". A publicly made propaganda speech, renouncing himself and his actions. The -Ations said it best, the only difference between the two factions in IDWverse is the brands they wear. Every planet that fell was crushed between the two factions, in equal measure. Everything other than one side achieving supremacy was deemed acceptable losses, to Megatron and Prime.

Quint wrote:I don't think Roberts/IDW know how to deal with a criminal of that magnitude, a murderer on that scale. So concerned are they by the minutiae of one-on-one relationships they've kind of checked out of processing the consequences of someone who could order a planet's by inches.

Of course not, that is why they made him "Auto-Megatron". In the same respect as they didn't know how to "end" a four million year civil war of attrition, so you got faux peace instead.
AllNewSuperRobot
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 6
Alt Mode: Special Beam Cannon
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: N/A
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10+
Firepower: ???
Skill: 9

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "LIMITED COLLECTORS EDITION #51 Cvr A Facsimile DC Comics 2024 ptg 0124DC164 51A"
NEW!
LIMITED COLLECTORS ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "NEW TEEN TITANS #1 Facsimile Cvr A DC Comics 2023 ptg 1023DC206 1A (CA) Perez"
NEW TEEN TITANS #1 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DETECTIVE COMICS #411 Facsimile Cvr B DC Comics 2024 ptg 0124DC162 Blank Sketch"
NEW!
DETECTIVE COMICS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WOLVERINE #1 Limited Series Facsimile Marvel Comics 2023 ptg (CA) Miller 240126"
WOLVERINE #1 Limit ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WONDER WOMAN #1 facsimile Cvr A DC Comics 2023 0923DC272 1A (CA) Peter"
WONDER WOMAN #1 fa ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "INCREDIBLE HULK #181 facsimile Marvel Comics 2023 ptg MAY230702 (CA) Trimpe"
INCREDIBLE HULK #1 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #1 Facsimile Ed GOLD FOIL Dynamite Comics DEC220641 (CA) Madureira"
GARGOYLES #1 Facsi ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #1 Facsimile Ed PURPLE FOIL Dynamite Comics DEC220641 (CA) Madureira"
GARGOYLES #1 Facsi ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MICRONAUTS #1 Facsimile var FOIL Marvel Comics 2023 JUL230682 (CA) Cockrum"
MICRONAUTS #1 Facs ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #1 Facsimile Ed Dynamite Comics 2023 Disney DEC220640 (CA) Madureira"
GARGOYLES #1 Facsi ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WOLVERINE #1 Facsimile Marvel Comics 2024 ptg JAN240732 (CA) Buscema"
NEW!
WOLVERINE #1 Facsi ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GIANT-SIZE SUPER-STARS #1 Facsimile Marvel Comics 2023 ptg OCT230665 Buckler"
GIANT-SIZE SUPER-S ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "LIMITED COLLECTORS EDITION #51 Cvr B Facsimile Foil DC Comics 2024 ptg 51B"
NEW!
LIMITED COLLECTORS ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DETECTIVE COMICS #411 Facsimile Cvr C Foil DC Comics 2024 ptg 0124DC163 Adams"
NEW!
DETECTIVE COMICS # ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Blackwing" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 09 Voyager Class Movie 2 Thundercracker" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Cindersaur" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Moonracer" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Voyager Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Combiner Force Legion Autobot Twinferno" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Decepticon Quake and Chasm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Autobot Rewind" on AMAZON
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations Legends Class Windcharger Figure" on AMAZON