IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Postby Randomhero » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:28 am

I don’t think it was unwanted I think it came down to no one knew what to do with him in a post war themed series. Cyclonus was already very well established before RiD/MTMTE and Galvatron was “killed off” by the end of chaos. I think it just came down to “I don’t have a place for him in my stories” which is honestly fine with me.

You really want to talk about screwed over on this thread let’s talk about how when MTMTE/LL when it launched and how James Roberts wanted 200 characters for the crew of the lost light and focused on less than 20 of them forcing the other 180 being background characters that no other series could use. Characters that could have been used in RID/TF/OP but instead had to be used in backgrounds and never used to any extent.

That’s more of a shame than someone like Scourge
Randomhero
Gestalt
Posts: 2103
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:29 am

That's also an issue with IDWverse as a whole, not just MTMTE/LL.
User avatar
AllNewSuperRobot
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:30 pm

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Postby ZeroWolf » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:37 am

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Weapon: Battle Blades
Problem is so many characters so little page space and a fickle fan based, some of which will bolt whenever they focus on a character they don't like, or disagree because a character did something that they wouldn't of in the g1 cartoon (I wish people would stop comparing everything to that and expecting all characters to act just as they did in that one interpretation).

Thus is why I advocate a anthology series every few months or so featuring characters and stories that would never see the light if day in an ongoing. Bring in new writers and let them cut their teeth, same with artists.
ZeroWolf
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 6120
News Credits: 4
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:58 am
Location: North East UK

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:48 am

By the same token, if anything other continuities were more diverse with the roster. G1 would throw the spotlight on Carnivac, the blood feud between Swoop and Divebomb etc

Other than Prime/Megatron, both Beast Wars and Unicron Trilogy were new casts. There comes a point, wherein trying to appease an often petulant first generation fanbase, you need to realise they aren't a majority. The Geewunners didn't spend millions on Bayformers. They don't buy all the toys, video games etc
They are a loud minority.
Listen to them, sure. But don't let a series more that 30 years old be dictated by them. As I've said before, Mattel learned that lesson the hard way with He-Man's last revival.
Last edited by AllNewSuperRobot on Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
AllNewSuperRobot
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:30 pm

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Postby AlphaBass » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:48 am

Reminds me of an old Batman: The Animated Series episode where Riddler was in a computer game and cloned himself, and wasn't able to keep the game together while cloning himself multiple times. You could further test that by making the clones mindless drones, then by some freak happenstance one of them gains sentience, which would lead to a lot of question in established lore (born vs. constructed cold, etc.)
AlphaBass
Micromaster
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:34 pm

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Postby ZeroWolf » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:59 am

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Weapon: Battle Blades
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:By the same token, if anything other continuities were more diverse with the roster. G1 would throw the spotlight on Carnivac, the blood feud between Swoop and Divebomb etc

Other than Prime/Megatron, both Beast Wars and Unicron Trilogy were new casts. There comes a point, wherein trying to appease an often petulant first generation fanbase, you need to realise they aren't a majority. The Geewunners didn't spend millions on Bayformers. They don't buy all the toys, video games etc
They are a loud minority.
Listen to them, sure. But don't let a series more that 30 years old be dictated by them. As I've said before, Mattel learned that lesson the hard way with He-Man's last revival.

I quite liked that he man show and wanted to see where it was heading with hordak. I agree with your point and I've met others who disagree completely but offer no compelling argument as to why. It's also something I've seen within the star wars fan base as well (okay it's in a lot of fanbases)
ZeroWolf
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 6120
News Credits: 4
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:58 am
Location: North East UK

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Postby Randomhero » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:41 pm

I enjoyed 2002 heman too. I’ve gone back a few times and rewatched it and I’ve read some of the stories for the season that wasn’t made.
Randomhero
Gestalt
Posts: 2103
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:47 pm

Same old song with me. I grew up with New Adventures, so I have no real affinity to the Filmation He-Man at all. As such I really liked the 2002 series also.

The day you see HasTak literally revive G1 (in much the same way as 2002 He-Man) you'll see those that deny anything Transformers post-G1 the most, cast it aside.
User avatar
AllNewSuperRobot
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:30 pm

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Postby Randomhero » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:00 pm

I have and will argue they already did remake G1. It was called Transformers Animated. People hate it when I say that when I say and disagree because they hated it but Animated is the closest to a G1 remake we’ll ever get that until cyberverse comes out and proves what hasbro claimed which is intended to be a G1 like series
Randomhero
Gestalt
Posts: 2103
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:07 pm

Randomhero wrote:I have and will argue they already did remake G1. It was called Transformers Animated. People hate it when I say that when I say and disagree because they hated it but Animated is the closest to a G1 remake we’ll ever get that until cyberverse comes out and proves what hasbro claimed which is intended to be a G1 like series


I can see the comparison. Of course to parallel 2002 He-Man, I would be talking an exact remake. The Witwickys, Sherman Dam, Dr Arkeville, Butler Shockwave etc
User avatar
AllNewSuperRobot
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:30 pm

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Postby Randomhero » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:48 pm

Don’t need it. It’s bad enough whenever the new stuff comes back fans all around compare it to the original and say how much better it was back when our toys were bricks that didn’t have elbows and knees and how a cartoon where prowl is talking but it’s jazz’s voice was so much better and when bruticus was the same size as his components. We don’t need a cartoon to come along and attempt to completely remake G1. People complain about hasbro not trying but when that happens that’s when you should really be worried about the brand because that’s when they’ve completely run out of ideas.
Randomhero
Gestalt
Posts: 2103
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:57 pm

because that’s when they’ve completely run out of ideas.


Exactly. The only reason why Transformers (and TMNT, for that matter) has been able to outlive other 80's contemporaries is because they move with the times. There is a part of the fanbase that needs to learn to let go of 1984 and move into 2018. Likewise HasTak need to stop pandering to them to the extent that they do. It's why, as you said before with my question, I don't like to compare continuities.
The way I see it, when it comes to all characterisation, that was then, this is now.
User avatar
AllNewSuperRobot
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:30 pm

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Postby Randomhero » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:23 pm

AllNewSuperRobot wrote:
because that’s when they’ve completely run out of ideas.


Exactly. The only reason why Transformers (and TMNT, for that matter) has been able to outlive other 80's contemporaries is because they move with the times. There is a part of the fanbase that needs to learn to let go of 1984 and move into 2018. Likewise HasTak need to stop pandering to them to the extent that they do. It's why, as you said before with my question, I don't like to compare continuities.
The way I see it, when it comes to all characterisation, that was then, this is now.



Even though I’m strictly a generations collector and love my collection in my office of the entire CHUG line of G1 with modern engineering there’s no reason that generations is the flagship of transformers on the shelves and things like RID and the upcoming cyberverse are these gimmick ridden(I like gimmicks btw) over simplified toys. Even the damn movie toys are second to generations. Remember 10 years who hen the first movie came out and there’s be almost an entire aisle of movie toys and the animated with 2 pegs for universe toys. Now it’s like maybe 3 waves of movie stuff out of the line and it’s a good possibility you won’t see one figure out of the final wave and you see sections of generations figures. We get a Titan class! We got predaking coming out! 10 years ago universe was a couple waves and was gone by the following spring for a year and half. G1 fans are spoiled pretty well. We’ve gotten close to 90% of 84-87 remade in the past decade and ended up getting Galvatron and Lockdown from AoE and Megatron, Nitro zeus, barricade and berzerker from Last night and only one version of them all except megatron.

RID should have been the focus of the brand when it was out but it really wasn’t and I guarantee Cybervwrse will probably be the same with generations towering over it.
Randomhero
Gestalt
Posts: 2103
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:33 pm

I remember when I was younger, Beast Wars was the only Transformers on the shelves. G1 had long since vanished and Hasbro (Kenner) really ran with it. Because it was the new thing! There was a cartoon to merchandise and a new fanbase to cater to.

That is how it should be. The Masterpiece Collection should be the line that caters to the old fanbase, that's what I thought it was created to be after all.

Bringing us back to MTMTE/LL that is one of the things I can't fault IDW for. They kept their new characters from falling by the wayside (something a long term X-Men fan has seen all too often). Drift, Rung etc have endured for years now and chances are Drift and Windblade will continue to do so through various media for sometime. Again, as it should be.
User avatar
AllNewSuperRobot
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:30 pm

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Postby AlphaBass » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:56 pm

Randomhero wrote:G1 fans are spoiled pretty well.


I can't agree more with this quote. We got newer, updated, more intricate versions of anything you could ever think of. I may not be a big fan of POTP Predaking, but his transformation and combined mode looks better than the G1. Trypticon and Fort Max are awesome set pieces with great detailing and cool transformation sequences. Soundwave and his cassettes no longer require attaching weapons that you could lose (well, aside from Frumble). Combiners that look closer to scale than one big guy and his four children.

And shoot, 3rd party options are out there if you don't like what Hasbro/Takara has to offer. Not 3rd party, but I didn't want to pay a ton for MP10 and found a SG version on sale and grabbed it. (In fact, MP10's evolution has been amazing, and the SG version looks great).

And we won't even go into how intricate IDW stuff is.

It's an awesome time to be a TF fan - there's enough to dislike, but if you look around, there quite a bit to enjoy as well.
AlphaBass
Micromaster
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:34 pm

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Postby Randomhero » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Potp moonracer would make a perfect Rung toy. I said that the day I got her. If he needs a vehicle mode then just give that mold a new head. If you can take off the wheels and have him be a “hover car” to make him a stick even better
Randomhero
Gestalt
Posts: 2103
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Postby ZeroWolf » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:23 pm

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Weapon: Battle Blades
It's funny about the discussion about redoing g1, when they show off pictures of the new toys for the next generations line and it's g1 again :lol: this is another reason I'll miss mtmte and ll, because they tried to do something different, it wasn't for everyone but at least it wasn't beating a dead horse called g1 toon.
ZeroWolf
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 6120
News Credits: 4
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:58 am
Location: North East UK

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Postby Randomhero » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:36 pm

ZeroWolf wrote:It's funny about the discussion about redoing g1, when they show off pictures of the new toys for the next generations line and it's g1 again :lol: this is another reason I'll miss mtmte and ll, because they tried to do something different, it wasn't for everyone but at least it wasn't beating a dead horse called g1 toon.



I just saw that too and I seeing it’s not very cybertonain I died a little. I’ve been telling my friends I grew up with that collect too that I think after I finish with power of the primes I’m gonna retire from collecting. I’m 33 and very happy with my collection and I don’t feel there’s much left to add to it. War for Cybertron looks pretty stellar so far but it’s cementing my decision to call it good.
Randomhero
Gestalt
Posts: 2103
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Postby Randomhero » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:46 pm

I know it’s not a popular opinion but I really want the brand to take time off from autobots and Decepticons. I was like 10-11 when Beast Wars happened and it was maximals vs Predacons then Maximals vs vehicons and I was blown away. “Where’s the autobots? Where’s the Decepticons? That guy has Optimus Primes face but it’s a bat and that guy is named megatron and he’s an alligator! What is this?” And I loved it! And yes beast wars was totally new and of course G1 got snuck in here and there but it was different! I still remember the day I went into a store and saw RID prowl, sideburn and x-brawn and said “what are these?! That’s an autobot symbol!!!” I was 15 or 16 and that was nostalgia. I was like “alright they’re back!”

It felt good to be in 2001 and see an autobot logo on a toy. That feeling will never come back but boy I’d embrace it if we got a new line that introduced some new factions and new heroes and villains. Never happen because brand recognition is a requirement now and the majority would hate it but I’d love it.
Randomhero
Gestalt
Posts: 2103
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:16 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Star Saber Sword
On the Lost Light topic, I cannot help but agree with Rodimus. He had a good Andy run, but then MTMTE sort of kept oscillating him and could not keep a rhythm.

I do however think IDW has done great justice to Trailbreaker, Cyclonus, Whirl, Swerve, and Tailgate. 3 practically no ones, a season 1 guy few people really appreciate or like, and Cyclonus. They killed Cyclonus and Whirl, they really did.

I'll tell you what though, I think the most controversial character, in a bad way, from IDW was Star Saber though. Squeaky clean to mass murderer in the name of religion. That pissed a ton of people off
Have Transformers News? Contact us HERE!
Wanna talk? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!! Don't make me Axe you again.Image
User avatar
D-Maximal_Primal
News Staff
Posts: 13044
News Credits: 292
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:53 pm
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Indominus Rex
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Rank: 8
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 8

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Postby Randomhero » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:15 pm

D-Maximal_Primal wrote:On the Lost Light topic, I cannot help but agree with Rodimus. He had a good Andy run, but then MTMTE sort of kept oscillating him and could not keep a rhythm.

I do however think IDW has done great justice to Trailbreaker, Cyclonus, Whirl, Swerve, and Tailgate. 3 practically no ones, a season 1 guy few people really appreciate or like, and Cyclonus. They killed Cyclonus and Whirl, they really did.

I'll tell you what though, I think the most controversial character, in a bad way, from IDW was Star Saber though. Squeaky clean to mass murderer in the name of religion. That pissed a ton of people off



Because he’s had literally one iteration in 30 years from a Japanese cartoon a small amount have seen while the rest only claim to have or only looked him up on tfwiki and like him because he looks like a gunadam. Seriously what’s so cool about starsaber? He a generic japense robot in a generic Japanese cartoon from the 80s that looks like a gundam.


“I hate how Star saber has been portrayed but love Cyclonus being a devote religious gay robot that took 6 years to finally tell tailgate he loves him!”

“I’m so sad roberts butchered this character from a show that was literally 1/3 recap episodes and 5 minutes of stock footage in each episode”

Sorry Roberts decided to give him some actual character and did something with him other than screaming Japanese and waiving his sword around and being like the other 30 plus jaonese robot anime’s of the time. Star Saber sucks.

Oh boo boo to those people.

Sorry we got off topic for 3 day but it’s not anyone else cares to contribute to this thread except the three of us that have been talking to each other back and forth.
Randomhero
Gestalt
Posts: 2103
News Credits: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Postby Counterpunch » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:52 pm

Motto: "Everything I do is divinely sanctioned."
Weapon: Jawbreaker Cannon
LL20 Thoughts I felt compelled to put down...

The Rodimus scene where he steps into the fire was one of the best coordinated efforts between narrative, visual imagery, and metaphor to appear in the whole MtMtE and LL run.

Rodimus took on the Spectralist colors when he committed to getting revenge on Getaway. He became dark in purpose and the colors reflected his personal desire to not be outdone, to not have "his" crew taken from him.

The easiest thing to see is the visual aspects of the scene. He goes into the fires and it burns away the dark deco.

But it also reveals as he goes in the shedding of his desire for revenge in place of justice. The fires burn away the selfish Rodimus and what emerges is the Rodimus Prime deco and character that marks the true distinction between him and Getaway.

Prior to this, two things are said, the first being Getaway commenting on Rodimus' selfish nature. The second being Rodimus commenting on how he feels some higher purpose watching over him, guiding/protecting him. In many ways, I could have seen him coming through this moment and finding the spark of the Matrix re-kindled in his chest.

What Rodimus did in that scene was so refreshing, so much in the vein of the classically heroic "Prime" style that was I genuinely happy to see someone just do the right thing, take the moral/heroic high ground. I think the artistic effort in this scene was a fine way to bring Rodimus back around to the noble hero he was when he came before Optimus in Chaos Theory.
Image
User avatar
Counterpunch
Podcast Host
Posts: 11145
News Credits: 74
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:56 pm
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Rank: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 7

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Postby ZeroWolf » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:41 am

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Weapon: Battle Blades
Randomhero wrote:I know it’s not a popular opinion but I really want the brand to take time off from autobots and Decepticons. I was like 10-11 when Beast Wars happened and it was maximals vs Predacons then Maximals vs vehicons and I was blown away. “Where’s the autobots? Where’s the Decepticons? That guy has Optimus Primes face but it’s a bat and that guy is named megatron and he’s an alligator! What is this?” And I loved it! And yes beast wars was totally new and of course G1 got snuck in here and there but it was different! I still remember the day I went into a store and saw RID prowl, sideburn and x-brawn and said “what are these?! That’s an autobot symbol!!!” I was 15 or 16 and that was nostalgia. I was like “alright they’re back!”

It felt good to be in 2001 and see an autobot logo on a toy. That feeling will never come back but boy I’d embrace it if we got a new line that introduced some new factions and new heroes and villains. Never happen because brand recognition is a requirement now and the majority would hate it but I’d love it.

This ^ we have cyberverse providing the bots and cons, idw and hasbro shouldn't be afraid to shake things up.

Now star saber...I'll admit, I was a little rattled at first to see the way they had gone with him. I quite enjoyed Victory for what it was. However, I got used to the idea quickly after seeing Cyclonus best him. I know that the original star saber still exists in Victory (and Robot Masters) the same way that the original Overlord is still there in Masterforce (with giga and Mega). These takes don't do anything to those interpretations aside from asking "what if..." writers should be willing to do new takes on characters, who knows? We could find a new definitive take on a character like that.
ZeroWolf
Guardian Of Seibertron
Posts: 6120
News Credits: 4
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:58 am
Location: North East UK

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:22 am

There is always a new defintive take out there. That's how comics work. Because there is always a new writer out there that wants to share Their Cyclonus, Rattrap, New Character et al

It's probably one of the best parts of comics, seeing what comes next. Sure, most publishers and IP holders like to keep a level of the status quo (an unavoidable problem)but there is always variance out there.
User avatar
AllNewSuperRobot
Transmetal Warrior
Posts: 808
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:30 pm

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Postby Va'al » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:02 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
New print from Roche / Burcham.

Image
Do you have Transformers news for Seibertron.com? Contact us here!


Image
Proud to be part of.. The Va'ault.
User avatar
Va'al
News Admin
Posts: 16564
News Credits: 212
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:00 am
Location: Italy
Buy from Va'al on eBay

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #203 - Light Bringer
Twincast / Podcast #203:
"Light Bringer"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, July 15th, 2018
Transformers products from EBAY

Items Ending Soon