This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Postby Ms. Trebuchette » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:44 pm

Va'al wrote:
Ms. Trebuchette wrote:
Va'al wrote:GUYS GUYS I FIGURED IT OUT: all the answers are in Heart of Darkness.

Not....sure...if....you're....serious...or....not....

Also, I've started wondering if it's Thunderwing (Thunderwing was a pretender as a toy, and we never see Thunderwing "conscious" again after he covered himself with his pretender shell in Stormbringer.)

Other, other answer is 5 time-displaced Shockwaves in a costume together cosplaying as a Quintesson!

Given that I have read this issue last Friday, I can assure you I am totally mcgoatilly serious. :saint:

Ya know, if John actually sends me that OTHER thing he once said he would send me, I'm going to spend a month trolling you and Scotty about knowing things that you don't. :P
Ms. Trebuchette
Micromaster

Postby Autobot N » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:45 pm

Motto: "Fate rarely calls upon us at our moment of choosing."
Weapon: Electro-Sword
Va'al wrote:Given that I have read this issue last Friday, I can assure you I am totally mcgoatilly serious. :saint:
It's obviously Thinkbox
Check out my collection thread!
Autobot N
City Commander
News Credits: 42
Alt Mode: Police Motorcycle
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 4
Courage: 5
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: Infinity

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:20 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
This discussion is awesome! Lots of cool stuff here.

I'm still torn on the Grand Architect and his story, and by the looks of it from the solicitations, we won't see his true form until 25 no matter what.

I'm saying it's a Quintesson, finally making their long awaited appearance after being teased by Wheelie back oh how many years ago now, and that same art showing up in Unicron's innards?
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Strength: 5
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 8

Postby ZeroWolf » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:04 pm

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Weapon: Battle Blades
I'm still praying it's not quints and I would like anyone with foreknowledge to come and assure me it's not. Leave me have my outer god theories! Come on randomhero you've been bang on the money other times, surely you must have a couple of good theories that don't involve the worst ideas of season 3 g1
Got news for Seibertron? Share it here!
ZeroWolf
News Admin
News Credits: 1350

Postby Randomhero » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:04 pm

D-Maximal_Primal wrote:This discussion is awesome! Lots of cool stuff here.

I'm still torn on the Grand Architect and his story, and by the looks of it from the solicitations, we won't see his true form until 25 no matter what.

I'm saying it's a Quintesson, finally making their long awaited appearance after being teased by Wheelie back oh how many years ago now, and that same art showing up in Unicron's innards?

They’ve shown up. Was the main villain in the flint dille trilogy.
Randomhero
Gestalt
News Credits: 3

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:09 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Randomhero wrote:
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:This discussion is awesome! Lots of cool stuff here.

They’ve shown up. Was the main villain in the flint dille trilogy.

Wot
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby ZeroWolf » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:14 pm

He's on about the -ity series (autocracy, monstrosity...Urm, whatever the third one was called where metroplex throws down with trypticon)
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:16 pm

ZeroWolf wrote:He's on about the -ity series (autocracy, monstrosity...Urm, whatever the third one was called where metroplex throws down with trypticon)

Now I remember. Still though, I'm on Quintesson at the moment
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby Rodimus Prime » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:42 am

Motto: "Individual freedom above all else."
I also hope that Quintessons are not involved. I always found them to be lame. They were okay for the cartoon back in the day, because it was basically a 22-minute toy commercial, but the comics have more depth to them and they need more complex characters. The only way I wouldn't mind seeing them is if they were Unicron's henchmen, but that won't happen since LL is not involved in that story.
........Image
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 22

Review of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #21

Postby Va'al » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:48 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
The Grand Architect
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis
Something is coming. It cannot be stalled. It cannot be avoided. It cannot be reasoned with. As the end of everything draws near, a simple instruction rings out across the universe: prepare, confront, repel.

Some people are ready for the fight of their lives. Rodimus and the increasingly shambolic crew of the Lost Light…yeah, they’re really not. Like, at all.

Crusadercons congregate!

Story
We reach the third chapter in this final story arc, Crucible, and some of the answers to the bigger questions (raised since some very early stages not only of Lost Light, but also More than Meets the Eye, and even early days of Phase two of IDW) start coming to the surface, without too much ambiguity to them, but still plenty to unpack. How did it all fare? Read on to get an idea!

series recap from Misfire again

Nothing is created from nothing. You need a beginning, a grounding, a starting point for anything else to develop, and that applies to story matter too. Nothing is entirely new, but new takes on something previously established can work well, and James Roberts has some experience in doing just that. The reception of those elements, of course, will vary, but I was pleased with the majority of what was put out.

spot the hint(s)

What we interestingly, and gloriously, have in the characterisation of the cast is something of a full circle, with some development arcs coming to fruition (see Rodimus and Ultra Magnus, for example), and some true to form points in the plot advancement and pacing that lent themselves well to appreciating just how much these characters have been through since the Death of Optimus Prime at least.

you guise

I have more thoughts on two of the bigger plot points below, but give this some time to air first. The characters have always been the lynchpin for the plot to revolve around in this series, and this issue makes sure to return to that idea even while giving us some direct answers, even while hurtling towards the end, even when those answers were not what we thought we looked for.

Art

Jack Lawrence returns to cover the art side of the book after last issue, and what I was really takne by was the almost lightness, thinner lines that the issue seems to sport, as if the inking brush has gone down by a couple sizes - and you know what? The book is all the better for whatever changed: it's sleek, it's clean, it's pointed, and everything is uniquely itself (even the one possibly repeated panel), and it's what the issue needed most of all.

wot e said

The accomplishment of the art, of course, is also due to Joana Lafuente's work on the colours, which wonderfully complement the panels. Her approach ends up giving us a game of light and shadows leading to the Grand Architect reveal and their ship's crew, as well as highlighting each indivually, painstakingly rendered character on the page.

and then of course, shots like these

The lettering brought in by Tom B Long has some excellent moments in its fontwork, but the captions are probably what you might want to pay attention to more specifically - especially with a script which comes through as surprisingly succinct and direct to the point.

In terms of covers, Lawrence and Lafuente's main version of the shocked cast is repurposed, in its uncoloured lineart as the retail incentive, so you can pick out more details there if sought after - while the series continues its creator spotlight with a Geoff Senior / Josh Burcham B variant, of a very different vision of the Lost Light crew and the Crusadercons. Check the thumbnail, and our database for more!

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

There are two major moments in the book. This is the closest we've ever been to the Grand Architect and the major disappearances from the series, and we do get a reveal about their identity - though whether that is final is up to debate, as the Seibertron.com Energon Pub thread is already showing. The second is a nudge closer to the 'Great Threat' against which they were preparing to confront and repel. Something that I am still mulling over, admittedly. But a minor gasp was gasped nonetheless.

oh, Starscream is in here too, yeah

With what is probably the sleekest, lightest Lawrence art in the series so far, the book is a pleasure to get lost in, and there is no actual losing oneself in the story - everything is surprisingly clear and accessible even in its self-referential universe, the editorial touches from Mariotte work in that regard, and almost the entire cast is present for what will be the final Big Bad - be they who you think they are or not, that is entirely yet to determine.

. :CYBERTRON: :CYBERTRON: :CYBERTRON: :CYBERTRON: ½ out of :CYBERTRON: :CYBERTRON: :CYBERTRON: :CYBERTRON: :CYBERTRON:
Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Bounti76 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:37 am

Weapon: Vibro-Axe
My thoughts:

I think the Grand Architect is actually just using Pharma's body, and isn't actually Pharma.

Scorponok went out too easy.

The Magnificence still confuses me.

Maybe we'll finally find out what Rung turns into.
Bounti76
News Staff
News Credits: 376
Speed: 5
Endurance: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: 6

Postby Shockwave 8 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:50 am

Motto: "“In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present.”"
Weapon: Shockwave Rifle
Is it just me, or does it seem like, in the first full group shot on the Lost Light, Nickel is just staring at Roller? Probably thinking, "well, he looks familiar…" :lol:
Shockwave 8
Mini-Con
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 8
Endurance: 8
Courage: 7
Skill: 10

Postby Ironhidensh » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:59 am

Motto: "Tell those damned kids to stay off my lawn!!!"
Weapon: Big Cannon
I didn't gasp at the end, but I did let out a very happy "about damn time"!

I don't think Megatron is the threat, I think he is there to be the salvation.

I don't buy the Pharma nonsense. Might be his body, but not him.

Also, I really thought rung was going to prove to be a firing pin or something for the planet guns.
Card carrying grumpy old man.

Leonardo wrote:Take your lips off my pipe!
Ironhidensh
Faction Commander
News Credits: 25
Buy from Ironhidensh on eBay
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 4
Endurance: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 9

Postby Optimus Prime13th » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:32 am

Motto: ""We must never lose sight of the fact that upon this Earth we are titans and such power must be used wisely""
Weapon: Star Saber Sword
Called it yesterday with the full preview! I knew it was Pharma!... or at least his body. Grant Architect may be in control of his body but that doesn't matter because damnit I called it! And I was right! Feels good to right for once... also its good to see Megatron again
Optimus Prime13th
Mini-Con
Alt Mode: Peterbilt Semi
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: 6
Courage: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Postby Optimus Prime13th » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:34 am

Motto: ""We must never lose sight of the fact that upon this Earth we are titans and such power must be used wisely""
Weapon: Star Saber Sword
Double post
Optimus Prime13th
Mini-Con
Alt Mode: Peterbilt Semi
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: 6
Courage: Infinity
Skill: 10+

Postby Ironhidensh » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:59 am

Optimus Prime13th wrote:Double post

Well, that's that then. We have to take you out back and shoot you. Could take awhile as well, Va'al has terrible aim.

Ironhidensh
Faction Commander

Postby Va'al » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:04 am

My aim was true, I edited the posts in time for most spoilers to be kept intact!

I think.

Anyway, how bout those two returns, huh?
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Ironhidensh » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:16 am

Va'al wrote:My aim was true, I edited the posts in time for most spoilers to be kept intact!

I think.

Anyway, how bout those two returns, huh?

like I said, I think Megatron is returning to save the day. Maybe against unicorn, maybe GA's threat. I don't think, or at least I hope, he is the threat.

Pharmacy I'm hoping is just a shell.

Ironhidensh
Faction Commander

Postby Va'al » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:24 am

So can we say that, in a story that has dealt often with mental health issues and addiction, the real enemy is Big Pharma?
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Ms. Trebuchette » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:18 am

Va'al wrote:So can we say that, in a story that has dealt often with mental health issues and addiction, the real enemy is Big Pharma?

That is quite the mood right there, sir! :D

And yes, Big Pharma is *ALWAYS* the enemy.
Ms. Trebuchette
Micromaster

Postby ArmadaPrime » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:19 am

Weapon: Requiem Blaster
Va'al wrote:So can we say that, in a story that has dealt often with mental health issues and addiction, the real enemy is Big Pharma?

:APPLAUSE:

Wowsers, what an issue. I'm inclined to agree with Ironhidensh on the role of Megatron, though I think it's very very deliberate that his hand was placed to hide the view of his faction symbol. Y'know, "don't change back" and all that.
The other thing that's clearly deliberate but still puzzling me is Rung's lost arm. It's clear based on the forced transformation and the identical colour scheme (how did I not spot that second one before? #-o ) that rung & in particular his alt mode have some link to the magnificence. It looks like perhaps the magnificence could fit into the circle on the end of Rung's alt? (What makes that REAL funky is remembering that the magnificence is/was supposedly a living Cybertronian, who eschewed most of their body Solomus-style.) My thought is, perhaps the lack of arm affects Rung's alt mode, making him unable to properly interface with the magnificence, thus either saving the day or dooming it...
As with all the best of Roberts' work, I'm left with a lot of answers and a lot more questions!
Certified Expert™ in reading wikis to pretend I know more about things than I actually do
ArmadaPrime
Brainmaster

Postby Randomhero » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:50 am

What if it’s the functionalist council? They do combine. What if the Grand architect is the gestalt mind and spark of the funcionalists from the alternate universe that escaped due to megatrons revolution and they ended up spiraling though time and wound up in the IDW-verse(or the functionist council from the IDW-verse), ended up in the past and orchestrated a plan to to create perfect transformers, knew eventually megatron would return and planned an all out assault to stop him from coming back?

It’s not just exposition of Cybertron having a forgotten function of being a weapon and it would give the arc of the functionalist universe more meaning than just getting rid of megatron at the start of LL

What and who would consider megatron a beast and the greatest threat to their point of view of the universe?

Functionalism
Last edited by Randomhero on Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby Ms. Trebuchette » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:52 am

Fun fact. This is the shape of the Hydrocarbon Benezene.

A circle inside of a hexagon.
Ms. Trebuchette
Micromaster

Postby ScottyP » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:26 am

Ms. Trebuchette wrote:Image

Fun fact. This is the shape of the Hydrocarbon Benezene.

A circle inside of a hexagon.
Son of a...
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 639
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby ZeroWolf » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:34 am

So many spoilers...

I'm too weak...
ZeroWolf
News Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #7 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 JUN210501 7B (CA) Pirrie"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers G2 DECEPTICON MADNESS Flip 'n' Fun Activity Pad 1993 210713A"
Transformers G2 DE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "NEMESIS PRIME Transformers Legacy Evolution TL-37 Core Class G1 Takara Tomy New"
NEW!
NEMESIS PRIME Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #17 Cvr A IDW Comics 2022 APR221591 17A (CA) Yurcaba"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "NEMESIS PRIME Transformers Nendoroid G1 Super-Deformed Sentinel Hasbro 2022 New"
NEMESIS PRIME Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "PANTHER Transformers Beast Wars McDonald's Happy Meal Food Premium 1996 210923A"
PANTHER Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BWVS-01 OPTIMUS PRIMAL + MEGATRON Transformers Beast Wars Again Kingdom 2023 New"
BWVS-01 OPTIMUS PR ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #14 Cover A IDW Comics 2019 BOLD NEW ERA 14A (CA) Zama AUG190756"
TRANSFORMERS #14 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #13 Cvr A IDW Comics 2022 DEC210543 13A (CA) SidVenBlu"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Fuzor AIR HAMMER Transformers Beast Wars Basic complete Hasbro 1998 230609A"
Fuzor AIR HAMMER T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SCORPONOK Transformers Beast Wars Mega **NOT complete** vtg Hasbro 1996 210923A"
SCORPONOK Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BACK TO THE FUTURE #1 RI-A 1:10 IDW Comics 2020 AUG200530 1RIA"
TRANSFORMERS BACK ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "JHIAXUS Transformers Legacy Voyager Class G2 Hasbro 2022 New **IN-STOCK NOW**"
JHIAXUS Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Kre-o Capsule RED ALERT Transformers Kreon G1 toy Japan Takara Tomy 2014 New"
Kre-o Capsule RED ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Battleslash" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Moonracer" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Blackwing" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Steeljaw Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Voyager Class Roadbuster Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight -- Knight Armor Turbo Changer Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Powermaster Optimus Prime Action Figure (Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON