This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Re: IDW Transformers: Lost Light Ongoing Discussion Thread

Postby Rodimus Prime » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:25 pm

Motto: "Individual freedom above all else."
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:
Flashwave wrote:Oh MY DEAR GOLLY GOD They are gonna conk "Primus" on the back of the head and induce Transformation straight out of the MTMTE comic with a drunk Ultra Magnus... Barber has this story more interconnected than the MCU and I love it, but God is that man a scary master manipulator

If that is what happens, you sir are a genius. I would not have thought of that.
Flashwave called it! ;)^
........Image
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 22

Postby Halonic » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:41 pm

Why do I get the feeling that Rung has a better plan but isn’t coming back from it...
Halonic
Mini-Con

Postby Sagitta » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:17 pm

Motto: ""Look to see what's there and see what's not.""
Weapon: Crossbow
MrBlack wrote:
Optimus Prime13th wrote:Is that skids attacking Rung?! Or has Rung finally lost his marbles

Rung remembering how he and Skids first met.

The memory was of Skids pulling Rung away into the vent system when he was first attacked by the sparkeater in MtMtE issue 3.

Rung and Skids first met in issue 2. He's the one who mentioned the Lost Light was on a quest. (With Swerve offering a bit more "detail" such as the "infinity gate" :lol:)
Sagitta
Micromaster
Alt Mode: Mini Aircraft
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Endurance: 6
Courage: 7
Firepower: 6
Skill: 8

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:58 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
I really hope I didn't just witness Rung delete his memory of Skids, especially after his sentence to Chromedome considering that is what Dome did when his significant others died and Nautica had her emotions tied to Skids removed
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Intelligence: 9
Endurance: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8

Postby Sagitta » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:12 pm

Motto: ""Look to see what's there and see what's not.""
Weapon: Crossbow
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:I really hope I didn't just witness Rung delete his memory of Skids...

Patient files are a bit different than personal memories. Then again, the two were friends.

The comment Rung made to Chromedome & Rewind could have also been self directed come to think of it.
Sagitta
Micromaster
Alt Mode: Mini Aircraft
Intelligence: 8
Endurance: 6
Firepower: 6

Postby ArmadaPrime » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:36 pm

Weapon: Requiem Blaster
Welp, seems like Rung expects this plan to kill him.
Can't think of any other reason to delete his patient files than to protect confidentiality (he takes his job very seriously) in the event that he wasn't around...
Certified Expert™ in reading wikis to pretend I know more about things than I actually do
ArmadaPrime
Brainmaster
News Credits: 3

Postby Halonic » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:16 am

Even. Team. Whirl.

:APPLAUSE:
Halonic
Mini-Con

Review of IDW Transformers: Lost Light #24

Postby Va'al » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:32 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Don't You
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis
All they wanted was an adventure. Now, as worlds turn to dust and every sacred truth is undone, as everything they’ve run from catches up with them and every gruesome future comes to pass.

Only two issues left! Closing a story six years in the making! Don’t miss the B cover by beloved Transformers artist Geoff Senior!

feat. Shinji Ikari

Story
This is it. This is the end. Almost, I know. But this is the end. This is the flash before the finale, and everything we've seen in a long series, with stories starting all the way back in the first Chaos seeds reaching some kind of conclusion, before they actually conclude next issue, and attempting some form of closure. Starting with gods and life.

fight! super robot lifeforms

A first warning: if you're expecting a big action scene, or even a series of action scenes, how are you still living in denial with Lost Light? There is plenty of action, of course - they're fighting a planet from a planet, one which is also a giant robotic being powered by bigoted spite - but James Roberts' strength is still in the smaller moments between characters. Those, in this issue, abound.

MVPs

And in that action frame with people stories, then, we have the one, bigger story that no one expected until a couple of issue ago, the one that people were most likely to forget, most likely to get wrung, but that somehow still rang a bell, that somehow still brings a conclusion after a conclusion, even when plans only work in panicked extremis.

Where previous attempts at balancing heartfelt, passionate dialogue/monologue during action have been admittedly questionable (at least in terms of pacing), this issue seems to have found the better solution - tonally, pacing-wise, structurally - to weigh out the different aspects to telling this type of ending, using strengths and weaknesses alike.

Art

Brendan Cahill returns for the issue, after we last saw him in #22, and whatever he's been doing in the meantime has only made him more powerful. The issue contains some of the most tender and heart-rending moments for pretty much the entirety of the cast present in its pages, and Cahill's art has been able to work all of the right emotions into the motions, the gestures, the silent panels, all while keeping giant Functionist Primus in the peripheral vision of it all.

Take a load of this, too

And Joana Lafuente has made sure that the peripheral vision is something no one can ignore, be it explosions, sudden changes in light sources and direction, mood flickering, tone shifting, crucial moments and smaller, tender interactions - the light and colour fit all, snugly, and just right.

it's really hard to spotlight this without spoilers

It's almost impossible to distinguish Curtis and Tom by now, and if you're not in on the joke, please bear with me - but what Long is managing to do with fonts is truly impressive, given the already emotional charge of pretty much everything else in the visual aspect of the book.

All the covers, as usual, can be found in our Vector Sigma Database entry here, though the one spotlighted in the thumbnail is once more the Geoff Senior / Josh Burcham variant featuring Rung himself, for once taking charge of the situation - almost like Rodimus.

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

And so, where do we stand now? This is the finale, no matter what the next issue decides to conjure up in its denouement, and as an ending it fits everything that the creators have set up from the start - sometimes literally, sometimes thematically - and it will definitely leave an impact on readers and TF lore (here's hoping, at least), for the principles and themes if not the execution.

also, gayest issue ever

Does it cancel out my troubles with the series up to now? No, but I don't think anything will. What it does do is sidestep to tell a wider story that no longer focuses on the alleged main characters, while also focusing on those very same characters - from Team Rodimus to Megatron's AntiVocationist League, to the Scavengers and more - in a way that we may have expected after all, and reminding us very much so of the influences, the setting, and the lineage of this type of story, and of Transformers as an icon.

. :rodimusstar: :rodimusstar: :rodimusstar: :rodimusstar: :rodimusstarhalf: out of :rodimusstar: :rodimusstar: :rodimusstar: :rodimusstar: :rodimusstar:

Bonus Tracks:

Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby ZeroWolf » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:37 am

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Weapon: Battle Blades
A good review Va'al, I'm going to miss this series. Its mot been perfect but I've liked it and been enjoyed which is all I can ask for really.
Got news for Seibertron? Share it here!
ZeroWolf
News Admin
News Credits: 1350

Postby YoungPrime » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:23 am

It started off a little rocky for me but overall I find this to be the best Transformers ongoing story to date.

Despite some minor issues, to me MTMTE/LL still puts most of the previous comics, TV cartoons and ALL of that Bay crap to shame.

I can live without Barber's ongoing but Roberts work will truly be missed. :CON:
YoungPrime
Headmaster Jr

Postby Ironhidensh » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:33 am

Motto: "Tell those damned kids to stay off my lawn!!!"
Weapon: Big Cannon
Megatron just can't forgive himself.
Card carrying grumpy old man.

Leonardo wrote:Take your lips off my pipe!
Ironhidensh
Faction Commander
News Credits: 25
Buy from Ironhidensh on eBay
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 4
Endurance: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 9

Postby ScottyP » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:47 am

Ironhidensh wrote:Megatron just can't forgive himself.
:idea:

And here I thought all my feelings about this book had been wrung out like a dishcloth. Good catch!
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 638
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby Rodimus Prime » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:15 am

So if Rodimus used the Warren to send the message back into the past, can't they use it to travel to the Unicron story's time and join the fight?
........Image
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers

Postby Doctor McGrath » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:52 am

Motto: "This is quick but not quite painless.."
Weapon: Semi-Automatic Glue Gun
Rodimus Prime wrote:So if Rodimus used the Warren to send the message back into the past, can't they use it to travel to the Unicron story's time and join the fight?

Are they even aware of Unicron?
El Duque wrote:Quite a firestorm I started here :michaelbay:
Doctor McGrath
Gestalt
News Credits: 5
Buy from Doctor McGrath on eBay
Strength: 7
Speed: 8
Firepower: 7

Postby ScottyP » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:50 am

Doctor McGrath wrote:
Rodimus Prime wrote:So if Rodimus used the Warren to send the message back into the past, can't they use it to travel to the Unicron story's time and join the fight?

Are they even aware of Unicron?
Nope.

Or at least not yet.

If Unicron really does want to wipe out Cybertronian life, maybe they're on his clean-up quest list?

With one issue left I don't know how to feel about it. On one hand, "Primus" vs Unicron yes please, on the other, is there time for that now?
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby ZeroWolf » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:55 am

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Honestly if they pulled Primus vs unicron now it would feel cheap, there's two issues of unicron left and op 25 to provide closure. A fight like Primus vs unicron needs build up, something they just don't have and would cheapen everything. Best save it for the next contuity ;-)
Got news for Seibertron? Share it here!
ZeroWolf
News Admin
News Credits: 1350

Postby Rodimus Prime » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:06 am

Besides, with the Functionist Council wiped out, can anyone even control "Primus?" Maybe Rodimus with the Matrix? I would love it if Megatron took control of it/him like Fort Max did with the dead Titan in Titans Return.

As for a "Primus" vs. "Unicron" fight being too late, I think it all depends on what happens next. If this had been planned well in advance by the writers, it can still be pulled off. Sure, it wouldn't be the actual Primus fighting the actual Unicron, but IDW is not actual G1, so it doesn't matter. We still have a total of 4 issues coming out among the 3 books, so as long as they come out in order, it should work.
........Image
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers

Postby snavej » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:59 am

Motto: "Follow your instincts and your common sense."
'Gayest issue ever'?! Careful, that could be taken as a positive or a negative. Maybe just say something like 'Relationship development continues'.
snavej
Gestalt
Alt Mode: Small starship - able to traverse entire universe.
Strength: 8
Speed: 3
Endurance: 3
Courage: 9

Postby ScottyP » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:45 pm

Rodimus Prime wrote:We still have a total of 4 issues coming out among the 3 books, so as long as they come out in order, it should work.
I'm not entirely hopeful that OP 24 and Unicron 5 won't trip over themselves. That said, the three finales have had roughly the same release order since the beginning, so although the actual release dates have drifted into the future quite a bit it seems pretty deliberate to have LL 25 -> Unicron 6 -> OP 25 so I have hope that those will be out in order or at least simultaneously.
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby Va'al » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:56 pm

snavej wrote:'Gayest issue ever'?! Careful, that could be taken as a positive or a negative. Maybe just say something like 'Relationship development continues'.

Nope, totally gay. All the rainbow bridge. Full BiFrost. Pan-galactically queer.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Rodimus Prime » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:34 pm

Va'al wrote:
snavej wrote:'Gayest issue ever'?! Careful, that could be taken as a positive or a negative. Maybe just say something like 'Relationship development continues'.

Nope, totally gay. All the rainbow bridge. Full BiFrost. Pan-galactically queer.
Yes, yes it is.
........Image
Rodimus Prime
God Of Transformers

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:52 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe

I thought that was an incredible touch.

Also, I found it fully that 2 guys present were part of the "Prime" vote and could not open their Matrices. Heck, poor Magnus just cannot catch a break
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Firepower: 8

Postby ScottyP » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:35 pm

D-Maximal_Primal wrote:

I thought that was an incredible touch.

Also, I found it fully that 2 guys present were part of the "Prime" vote and could not open their Matrices. Heck, poor Magnus just cannot catch a break
I assumed that Magnus had trouble just so he could get blown up. Like in this one other work of Transformers media ;)
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Alex Milne / Josh Perez Cover for IDW Transformers: Lost Light #25

Postby Va'al » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:54 pm

Thanks to the source directly, artist Alex Milne over on Twitter, we have both the lineart and the main coloured cover (courtesy of regular visual collaborator Josh Perez) for the last issue of IDW Publishing's Transformers: Lost Light.

That's right, issue #25 is just round the corner - barring any bizarre scheduling issues, which would surprise absolutely no one - and a lot of readers are getting ready to deal with the aftermath of 'no comics' for a little while. In the meantime, take a look below, and let us know what you think of this homage to Milne's first cover for the series TPB, back in More Than Meets the Eye!

So IDW was kind enough to allow me to share this cover with all of you :) This is my final cover for Lost Light. My approach was to bookend this image with the first MTMTE TPB cover I did. Colors by the Amazing @dyemooch . #transformers #mtmte #lostlight #idw

Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Deadput » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:02 pm

Motto: "Let's kick the tires and light the fires!"
Weapon: Fusion Blaster Cannon
Ah, all of those characters who never did anything but stand in the background.

What purpose did characters like Hound served to the plot?
Va'al wrote:
Deadput wrote:Actually I don't know my mother's name is Valerie so is Va'al actually my mother?

Yes. Now go to your room and don't play with yourself.

Deadput
Faction Commander
News Credits: 54
Alt Mode: A mec suit for redundancy.
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 9
Endurance: 3
Firepower: 10
Skill: 5

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #1 7th ptg Image Comics 2024 0124IM896 (CA) Di Nicuolo (W) Kirkman"
NEW!
VOID RIVALS #1 7th ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #5 3rd ptg Image Comics 2024 1123IM894 (CA) Flaviano (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #5 3rd ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #3 Cvr A Image Comics 2024 3A GI JOE 1223IM271 (A/CA) Reilly (W) WIlliamson"
NEW!
DUKE #3 Cvr A Imag ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #2 Cvr E 1:50 Image Comics 2023 APR238112 2E (CA) Lotay (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #2 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #2 Cvr D 1:25 Image Comics 2024 2D GI JOE 1123IM275 (CA) ACO (W) Williamson"
DUKE #2 Cvr D 1:25 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #301 Cvr B Image Comics 2023 301B 0923IM336 (CA)Kubert"
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #1 Cvr C 1:10 Image Comics 2023 1C GI JOE 1023IM261 (CA) Boss (W)Williamson"
DUKE #1 Cvr C 1:10 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE ORDER OF BATTLE #3 Marvel Comics 1987 (CA) Trimpe (W) Hama 220721B"
GI JOE ORDER OF BA ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #3 Cvr B Image Comics 2023 JUN230376 3B (CA) Harren (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #3 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TALES OF GI JOE #3 Marvel Comics 1988 (CA) Hall (W) Hama (A) Trimpe 220721A"
TALES OF GI JOE #3 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "COBRA COMMANDER #2 Cvr B Image Comics 2024 2B 1223IM260 (CA) Ortiz"
NEW!
COBRA COMMANDER #2 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #302 3rd ptg Image Comics 2024 1123IM895 (CA) Guara"
NEW!
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #6 Cvr E 1:50 Image Comics 0923IM468 6E (CA) Infante (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #6 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE ORDER OF BATTLE #1 Marvel Comics 1986 (CA) Trimpe (W) Hama 231208Y"
GI JOE ORDER OF BA ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Novastar" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Moonracer" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Sinnertwin" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 08 Leader Class Movie 1 Decepticon Blackout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Brawn" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Soundwave Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Prowl Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Xort and Highbrow" on AMAZON