This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Masterpiece MP-36 Megatron Discussion Thread

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Re: Takara Tomy MP-36 Megatron Discussion Thread

Postby Ironhidensh » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:43 am

Motto: "Tell those damned kids to stay off my lawn!!!"
Weapon: Big Cannon
So let's make this simple, what are the direct questions and concerns you all may have about this figure? I promise an un biased answer to the best of my ability.
Card carrying grumpy old man.

Leonardo wrote:Take your lips off my pipe!
Ironhidensh
Faction Commander
News Credits: 25
Buy from Ironhidensh on eBay
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 4
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 9

Postby Kurona » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:15 am

Motto: "Don't forget to subscribe to the official Doctor Who youtube channel"
Weapon: Temperature Variant H20 Gun
Okay, this is unrelated to the figure itself in a way especially since it'll be ages before I can get him; but I'm curious in general: we all know the laws around toy guns are a little frustrating, but how about when you're taking him somewhere else? Like, say, moving house? Even going outside your country on a plane? Anyone know how toy gun laws would restrict you there if you were taking him?
Kurona
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 191
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 2
Endurance: 1
Courage: 3
Firepower: 1
Skill: 2

Postby Cobotron » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:49 am

Motto: "Free your mind, and your ass will follow!"
Weapon: Sword
Not sure why moving would be a problem? Put it in a box, load it in a truck, and off you go.
As for transporting on an airplane, not sure other countries laws, but I'm pretty sure in the US you can check firearms in checked baggage, but you MUST declare it to the airline and accompanied by proper legal documentation. Even if they found it, and saw it was a toy, I'm sure it would cause trouble.
But I don't own any firearms nor would I travel with them if I did, so I don't know for sure. Best bet would be to make the airline aware of it. They take that stuff hella seriously!
Enter the COLLECT-O-TRON
Burn wrote:
Agamemnon wrote:Let's get back to talking about Burn's mammoth snout flopping... :-s

Well I am Australian. It's kinda what we're known for.
Cobotron
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 41
Alt Mode: A Sleeping Bear
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 9
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10

Postby Immortal Starscream » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:04 am

I actually discussed this same thing and even posted the same fix for the barrel a couple days ago. Though this guys pics are way better then mine
https://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/how-to-preemptively-fix-masterpiece-megatron-t108972.php

"They're playing with him... and when they're done they're going to play with me.... OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!"
Immortal Starscream
Headmaster
News Credits: 18

Postby Logan. » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:05 am

Motto: "Our passions are life"
Weapon: X-Ray Laser Pistol
Update: I recommend to polish the internal accessory parts to not press too

Logan.
Headmaster
News Credits: 34

Postby Logan. » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:50 am

Motto: "Our passions are life"
Weapon: X-Ray Laser Pistol
Work in progress ;)

Logan.
Headmaster
News Credits: 34

Postby Sideswipe79 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:53 am

Finally Meg reach my home. Is good, but the paint is so delicate!

Sideswipe79
Mini-Con

Postby Rated X » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:12 am

Motto: ""Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.""
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
Ironhidensh wrote:So let's make this simple, what are the direct questions and concerns you all may have about this figure? I promise an un biased answer to the best of my ability.

So if I was to buy this figure right now....list the steps and precautionary fixes I can perform right out of the box to prevent breakage and chipping. The article posted now tells everything to do in such a random order and fails to provide pictures of the infamous leg screw that needs to be loosened. I also hope that in the future somebody who is expierenced with the figure can post a youtube video and perform all the fixes right out the box without even trying to play with the figure. That would be of great help. BBTS or a company who can afford to experiment with a figure should put this out for the people. I guarantee it would help boost sales.
Rated X
Banned
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10+
Skill: 8

Postby dragons » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:17 am

Not that I care paint chipping saw no problems got him yesterday it's mostly breaking pieces on 225 figure that's main my concern on figure I will make adjustments when I get to it he will mostly stay bot mode anyway
dragons
Gestalt
News Credits: 21

Postby Emerje » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:48 am

Motto: "Spellcheck's antithesis."
fenrir72 wrote:Laserwave was sold at their 17% to 20% off for months post general release, its all sold out now.

Exactly, months. That figure wasn't a super big seller for anyone thanks to the price being inflated so much by the electronics and the colors really turned off a lot of people.

Guess Megs is more in demand by your logic that he is being sold full price + the taxes. Also, again, why sell the item at no tax prices PO then full price + taxes post general release? Would their bottom line still be achieved?

Pre-orders are a battlefield between shops, all of them trying to be more enticing than the next. Years ago HLJ only offered pre-order discounts for the first week that something was available for pre-order and then they'd go back to full price until they sold out or hit clearance. It wasn't until AmiAmi came along and started taking away their pre-orders that they made the discounts permanent. Once something is released and the mad rush is gone the prices become more flexible. Just look around: Hlj - order stop, Hobby Search - sold out, A-E - sold out, Big In Japan - out of stock, Amazon.co.jp - sold out, available through other Amazon sellers at full price with no international sales. AmiAmi is the only major exporter that still has stock left which puts them in the unique position to sell at whatever price they want.

Though this might be a typo but their sold out Inferno, it is still marked as 21% off while Megs who is twice and a 1/4 the cost is now full price. If I were a businessman and already earned a profit, my priority would be to get rid of inventory and fast (their Megs stocks at present is limited to 3 per household limit at full price price tax) again this is so :???:

Why would you want to minimize profits when you're in the perfect position to maximize them? AmiAmi isn't hurting for sales and in no rush to clear inventory on something that's only been out for a few weeks. Stores don't survive on pre-orders alone, they survive by having items on hand that people want. Someone will come along, probably in Japan, that didn't have the money to buy Megatron when he came out, but do now and will pay full price because he's so hard to find anywhere else. That's who AmiAmi is targeting, they can sell other stuff in the meantime.

Emerje
Emerje
News Staff
News Credits: 235
Alt Mode: Lobster Moose
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 7
Firepower: 3
Skill: 6

Postby Ironhidensh » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:24 pm

Rated X wrote:
Ironhidensh wrote:So let's make this simple, what are the direct questions and concerns you all may have about this figure? I promise an un biased answer to the best of my ability.

So if I was to buy this figure right now....list the steps and precautionary fixes I can perform right out of the box to prevent breakage and chipping. The article posted now tells everything to do in such a random order and fails to provide pictures of the infamous leg screw that needs to be loosened. I also hope that in the future somebody who is expierenced with the figure can post a youtube video and perform all the fixes right out the box without even trying to play with the figure. That would be of great help. BBTS or a company who can afford to experiment with a figure should put this out for the people. I guarantee it would help boost sales.

Well, as long as you have handled a MP style figure before, and understand the difference between them and mainstream figures, you should have no breakage issues.*

As for paint chipping, let me say this as clearly as I can for everyone:

IF YOU TAKE MEGATRON OUT OF THE CLAMSHELL, YOU WILL CHIP THE PAINT.

Seriously, you don't even have to transform it. This is one if the most delicate paint jobs I've ever seen.

*one piece on mine needed to have a tiny bit of excess plastic trimmed before it was transformable. More detail coming later.

Ironhidensh
Faction Commander

Postby Sideswipe79 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:36 pm

Ironhidensh wrote:
Rated X wrote:
Ironhidensh wrote:

Seriously, you don't even have to transform it. This is one if the most delicate paint jobs I've ever seen.

Mine as several paint dameges due to the transformation and use of gimmik.
Sideswipe79
Mini-Con

Postby nycPrime » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:40 pm

Kurona wrote:Okay, this is unrelated to the figure itself in a way especially since it'll be ages before I can get him; but I'm curious in general: we all know the laws around toy guns are a little frustrating, but how about when you're taking him somewhere else? Like, say, moving house? Even going outside your country on a plane? Anyone know how toy gun laws would restrict you there if you were taking him?

At least within the US, as long as the orange plug is in there, you can pretty much do what you want with it without fear. Without the plug, you'd be fine if you were smart about it. What I mean is don't walk around with it in gun mode waving it around. There's a sad story of a small kid doing that with a toy gun with the orange plug either missing or painted over. The cops were called and it ended tragically.

As for flying, I don't know why you would do so in this day and age, either domestically or internationally. Probably best to avoid that if at all possible.
nycPrime
Headmaster
News Credits: 12
Strength: 7
Courage: 7
Firepower: 8

Postby fenrir72 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:03 pm

Motto: "Power to the strong and the right!"
Weapon: Plasma Cannon
Sideswipe79 wrote:
Ironhidensh wrote:
Rated X wrote:
Ironhidensh wrote:

Mine as several paint dameges due to the transformation and use of gimmik.

Did it chip right off the clam shell?
fenrir72
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 60
Buy from fenrir72 on eBay
Alt Mode: Mobile Ground Fortress
Speed: 6

Postby Ironhidensh » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:56 pm

Okay, so as promised, whether you want them or not, here are my thoughts on MP-36 Megatron, enjoy! Also, I will be comparing 36 very heavily to Maketoys Despotron, my current Masterpiece style Megatron. A word of transparency before we go further. Up until getting 36 in hand, I have not been a huge fan, and have in fact been a fairly vocal critic. That said, I still feel I can be pretty objective in this. While I might like other figures better, I can step back, and still see what is good in the figure at hand. Remember as well, liking one thing more, doesn’t make the other thing bad.

Also, I can admit when I’m wrong.

Mistake me not, 36 has his flaws, and we will talk about them, but I’d be lying if I told you I wasn’t really starting to like this figure. He was a gift, so I’m stuck with him either way, but he is slowly winning me over. I still love Despotron, but 36 is no slouch. So, lets get to it, shall we?

Lets go over the two glaring issues that keep cropping up first: paint chips and breakage. As I said in an above post, the paint chipping is bad. Like, really bad. I am hereby listing it as the number one flaw on this toy. Out of the box, he had a nick on his leg, and a couple around the left shoulder inner workings. Just posing him in a couple of different poses, he acquired a couple more. Once I got around to transforming him, well, yeah. I’m no newb to transformers. I understand that some paint chipping will occur. Over time. After many transformations. This is happening, literally, out of the box. There is no way around it, if you buy this figure, and take him out of package, you will get paint chips. Anyone who says different is either straight up lying, or simply refusing to see it.

As for breakage, I’m going to drop all cases of that on user error. I’ve gone through the transformation several times now, and not one case of breakage. No, its not as sturdy as a mainline figure, but its no piece of glass either. Yes, many parts are small, but as long as you take it easy, you can avoid breaking parts. Speaking of the transformation itself, it is NOT as bad as has been made out. Sure, its involved, but I’ve already got it down. Use the instructions the first time, or at least watch one of the many youtube videos, and you will be fine. I didn’t even need to do that hip adjustment thing.

Now, on that note, I did have one issue that needed some “modification”. The part that his gun barrel folds down on had some raised ridges molded on. I assume it is too provide friction to help hold the barrel in place. These ridges stuck out too far and completely prevented the movement of the barrel. I had to take an knife and shave them down a bit.

Other than that, I have had zero issues with breakage, and I caught that before breakage occurred. His joints are all nice and tight, but not too tight. The ratchets feel just right. He can really hold some dynamic poses.

So, on to some fun stuff. Any review has to have some box pictures. Being a starndard Takara Masterpiece, the box is nothing that we haven’t seen before.

He looks good with other bots.

36 does one thing very well, one thing I don’t think any other version of Megatron has captured quite so well: his lower chest.

Sadly, this picture also shows one of his flaws, the infamous “robovagina”. The waist piece is functional, but just not pretty. That chest though, it is amazing, and one of my favorite parts of this figure.

As far as accessories go, 36 comes with many. This is one of the areas Despotron fails in, he came with only a couple of faces and the energy mace. The accessories have already been touched on many times by others, so I’ll just talk about my favorites: the optional faces. First pic are what comes with 36, second pic are what comes with Despotron.

Personally, Despotron offers the best facial expression with his laughing face, but the ones offered by Takara are great as well. I really love this gimmick. It’s a great and simple way to bring a little fun and variety to your collection display. I’m also a huge fan of the laser sword that 36 comes with. I must also mention that the energy mace on 36 not only comes with a standard chain, but a posable one as well. You can really create some dynamic battle scenes with that. I kinda wish I had taken some pics like that. Maybe next time.

Another thing that must be mentioned is the “mass shifting” this figure does. Obviously, I don’t mean it can shrink, but it does do an incredible job of taking a rather large robot and shrinking it to a not to far off from real life pistol. Seriously, Takara did an amazing job at compacting parts, and then expanding them out again. I made a lot of noise about how many panel lines 36 had, and how messy his back is, but once you’ve transformed him, you get it. It takes a lot of moving parts to do what they did. It still might be a little too much, but respect where respect is due.

The next few pictures will be side by side comparison of 36 and Despotron. I’ve chosen Despotron for the comparison, because obviously, I have him. I also had X-Transbots Apollyon, but sold him for Despotron. Apollyon was a great figure, but I feel 36 is a better toy. We will talk more after.

As you can see, while 36 is of a very similar size to Despotron, he transforms into a smaller gun. I find that impressive, but not necessary. 36 could do with a bit of a similar transformation. Despotron is challenging, but doesn’t take to terribly long. 36 is gonna take you a few minutes. Then again, it isn’t the way too simple transformation that severely hurt MP Shockwave and MP Inferno, so you take what you can. 36 does leave you feeling satisfied when you are done, so we will go on and count it as a win.

Despotron takes a more comic (specifically Dreamwave era) inspired look, while 36 really nails the cartoon look. This is a negative for me, but that is a matter of personal taste. Also, it could be worse. Inferno just looks silly in its cartoon accuracy, while 36 still looks badass. He looks like a Masterpiece.

In closing, while 36 is growing on me greatly, and may end up replacing Despotron (I’m not ready to let go yet, but its hard to justify having two MP style Megatrons), he has one nagging issue that simply cannot be let go of: the paint chipping. Some people maybe able to look past this, but folks, on a $200 toy, this is simply not acceptable. There is no excuse, and is a huge fail on the part of Takara. I won’t say don’t get this figure because of it, but buyer beware. Like I said earlier, if you take 36 out of the clamshell, you WILL have paint chips.

Something else on 36 that I really enjoy is his fusion cannon. The barrel is adjustable for cannon and scope modes. Its a small thing that really stands out as that extra little bit that we should expect from a Masterpiece toy. Very nifty.

This went on for a bit, sorry for that, but I hope some of you enjoy it. Let us end in true Ironhidensh tradition, with a dash pic.

Ironhidensh
Faction Commander

Postby sol magnus » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:37 pm

Motto: "This is the most beautiful thing in the entire universe. Ok, give me the bomb."
Weapon: Laser Rifle
I'm glad you found some love for MP-36. I sold my Despotron, but I loved the smirking face. Takara should do one of those. Megatron smirking in TF:TM is probably one of my favorite Megatron scenes in all of G1.

Although I tend not to get into the 3p thing too much, I'm not against 3p figures. I, like many, use them to fill in Takara gaps. I do tend to think Takara makes the best figures of their characters, but I have no hard-line opinion of those who like 3p offerings more.
'Til All Are One.
sol magnus
Gestalt
News Credits: 10
Strength: 10
Endurance: 9
Firepower: 7

Postby Sabrblade » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:50 pm

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
Ironhidensh wrote:its hard to justify having two MP style Megatrons),
I've one solution for ya:

;)
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 436
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7

Postby fenrir72 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:52 pm

Ironhidensh wrote:Okay, so as promised, whether you want them or not, here are my thoughts on MP-36 Megatron, enjoy! Also, I will be comparing 36 very heavily to Maketoys Despotron, my current Masterpiece style Megatron. A word of transparency before we go further. Up until getting 36 in hand, I have not been a huge fan, and have in fact been a fairly vocal critic. That said, I still feel I can be pretty objective in this. While I might like other figures better, I can step back, and still see what is good in the figure at hand. Remember as well, liking one thing more, doesn’t make the other thing bad.

Mistake me not, 36 has his flaws, and we will talk about them, but I’d be lying if I told you I wasn’t really starting to like this figure. He was a gift, so I’m stuck with him either way, but he is slowly winning me over. I still love Despotron, but 36 is no slouch. So, lets get to it, shall we?

Lets go over the two glaring issues that keep cropping up first: paint chips and breakage. As I said in an above post, the paint chipping is bad. Like, really bad. I am hereby listing it as the number one flaw on this toy. Out of the box, he had a nick on his leg, and a couple around the left shoulder inner workings. Just posing him in a couple of different poses, he acquired a couple more. Once I got around to transforming him, well, yeah. I’m no newb to transformers. I understand that some paint chipping will occur. Over time. After many transformations. This is happening, literally, out of the box. There is no way around it, if you buy this figure, and take him out of package, you will get paint chips. Anyone who says different is either straight up lying, or simply refusing to see it.

As for breakage, I’m going to drop all cases of that on user error. I’ve gone through the transformation several times now, and not one case of breakage. No, its not as sturdy as a mainline figure, but its no piece of glass either. Yes, many parts are small, but as long as you take it easy, you can avoid breaking parts. Speaking of the transformation itself, it is NOT as bad as has been made out. Sure, its involved, but I’ve already got it down. Use the instructions the first time, or at least watch one of the many youtube videos, and you will be fine. I didn’t even need to do that hip adjustment thing.

Now, on that note, I did have one issue that needed some “modification”. The part that his gun barrel folds down on had some raised ridges molded on. I assume it is too provide friction to help hold the barrel in place. These ridges stuck out too far and completely prevented the movement of the barrel. I had to take an knife and shave them down a bit.

Other than that, I have had zero issues with breakage, and I caught that before breakage occurred. His joints are all nice and tight, but not too tight. The ratchets feel just right. He can really hold some dynamic poses.

So, on to some fun stuff. Any review has to have some box pictures. Being a starndard Takara Masterpiece, the box is nothing that we haven’t seen before.

36 does one thing very well, one thing I don’t think any other version of Megatron has captured quite so well: his lower chest.

Sadly, this picture also shows one of his flaws, the infamous “robovagina”. The waist piece is functional, but just not pretty. That chest though, it is amazing, and one of my favorite parts of this figure.

As far as accessories go, 36 comes with many. This is one of the areas Despotron fails in, he came with only a couple of faces and the energy mace. The accessories have already been touched on many times by others, so I’ll just talk about my favorites: the optional faces. First pic are what comes with 36, second pic are what comes with Despotron.

Personally, Despotron offers the best facial expression with his laughing face, but the ones offered by Takara are great as well. I really love this gimmick. It’s a great and simple way to bring a little fun and variety to your collection display. I’m also a huge fan of the laser sword that 36 comes with. I must also mention that the energy mace on 36 not only comes with a standard chain, but a posable one as well. You can really create some dynamic battle scenes with that. I kinda wish I had taken some pics like that. Maybe next time.

Another thing that must be mentioned is the “mass shifting” this figure does. Obviously, I don’t mean it can shrink, but it does do an incredible job of taking a rather large robot and shrinking it to a not to far off from real life pistol. Seriously, Takara did an amazing job at compacting parts, and then expanding them out again. I made a lot of noise about how many panel lines 36 had, and how messy his back is, but once you’ve transformed him, you get it. It takes a lot of moving parts to do what they did. It still might be a little too much, but respect where respect is due.

The next few pictures will be side by side comparison of 36 and Despotron. I’ve chosen Despotron for the comparison, because obviously, I have him. I also had X-Transbots Apollyon, but sold him for Despotron. Apollyon was a great figure, but I feel 36 is a better toy. We will talk more after.

As you can see, while 36 is of a very similar size to Despotron, he transforms into a smaller gun. I find that impressive, but not necessary. 36 could do with a bit of a similar transformation. Despotron is challenging, but doesn’t take to terribly long. 36 is gonna take you a few minutes. Then again, it isn’t the way too simple transformation that severely hurt MP Shockwave and MP Inferno, so you take what you can. 36 does leave you feeling satisfied when you are done, so we will go on and count it as a win.

Despotron takes a more comic (specifically Dreamwave era) inspired look, while 36 really nails the cartoon look. This is a negative for me, but that is a matter of personal taste. Also, it could be worse. Inferno just looks silly in its cartoon accuracy, while 36 still looks badass. He looks like a Masterpiece.

In closing, while 36 is growing on me greatly, and may end up replacing Despotron (I’m not ready to let go yet, but its hard to justify having two MP style Megatrons), he has one nagging issue that simply cannot be let go of: the paint chipping. Some people maybe able to look past this, but folks, on a $200 toy, this is simply not acceptable. There is no excuse, and is a huge fail on the part of Takara. I won’t say don’t get this figure because of it, but buyer beware. Like I said earlier, if you take 36 out of the clamshell, you WILL have paint chips.

Something else on 36 that I really enjoy is his fusion cannon. The barrel is adjustable for cannon and scope modes. Its a small thing that really stands out as that extra little bit that we should expect from a Masterpiece toy. Very nifty.

This went on for a bit, sorry for that, but I hope some of you enjoy it. Let us end in true Ironhidensh tradition, with a dash pic.

@ IHD, I know you already put an effort on posting the images but is it possible to mark those parts concerning the "shaving" you made. You can do it with the edit options of paint etc. For posterity sake as my MP hasn't arrive yet.

Oh, my calling you that censored word, I apologize in public. Man enough to admit it that I got my emotions carried away. Btw, has MP Megs caught your "zing"? Or is it still Despotron? If this didn't come out, I was leaning towards Maketoys' version 'cause it reminds me of the Studio Ox style which I so dig!
fenrir72
God Of Transformers

Masterpiece MP-36 Megatron - A Doubter Turned Believer's Review

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:05 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
With all the differing opinions on the new Masterpiece Megatron ranging from a perfection to yet another waste of plastic and sliver of die-cast, along with the concern for breakage and paint chipping, it certainly can prove difficult for someone to actually make up their minds about buying Megatron now that is his widely in stock and shipping. Well, we bring to you today a Seibertronian review of MP-36 Megatron, written by our own Ironhidensh, that may be able to help some of you figure that out once and for all.

Now for those of you who may know, Ironhidensh has not been a big fan of the figure based on pictures and reviews and reports, but still ended up one as a gift. And based on his review, it seems it became the gift that has kept on giving. Read up below as Ironhidensh takes us through is experiences with the mold and shares with us his thoughts on the complaints of paint chipping, parts count, and breakage issues.

Was this review that made you say "I would have waited an eternity for this!" or did it only help convince you that this figure is nothing more than heroic nonsense? Check out the review, and let us know if this help sway your mind in an way!

Ironhidensh wrote:Okay, so as promised, whether you want them or not, here are my thoughts on MP-36 Megatron, enjoy! Also, I will be comparing 36 very heavily to Maketoys Despotron, my current Masterpiece style Megatron. A word of transparency before we go further. Up until getting 36 in hand, I have not been a huge fan, and have in fact been a fairly vocal critic. That said, I still feel I can be pretty objective in this. While I might like other figures better, I can step back, and still see what is good in the figure at hand. Remember as well, liking one thing more, doesn’t make the other thing bad.

I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Endurance: 7

Postby Rated X » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:22 pm

Hmmmm....

Im tempted to pull the trigger. But the nitpicker in me is waiting to see if Takara addresses any of the flaws officially in a statement. I would love to see a reissue in grey plastic like Hegemon and no paint which would mean no chipping. My only concern is that a reissue might not include the silencer and the stock. Those are a must have for me. I could care less about the other accessories if it brought the price down about 25 bucks. So im just gonna patiently wait and see what comes out the press throughout April and make a decision by May. Great review by the way. I only wish you had used red to mark the part of the barrel you modified because without the toy in hand most people wont have a clue what too look for in that picture. The one question I have is about the transformation. If I can handle the MP seeker mold, will MP-36 stress me out? Or is it on about the same level of complexity? Im not a fan of complex transformations. Ive never even fully transformed Hegemon. All those damn pannels on the legs/gun handle got me like screw this s**t let me just leave him in robot mode. Should I expect the same from MP-36? Or even worse? Is it another ROTF Leader Prime?
Rated X
Banned

Postby fenrir72 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:35 pm

Rated X wrote:Hmmmm....

Im tempted to pull the trigger. But the nitpicker in me is waiting to see if Takara addresses any of the flaws officially in a statement. I would love to see a reissue in grey plastic like Hegemon and no paint which would mean no chipping. My only concern is that a reissue might not include the silencer and the stock. Those are a must have for me. I could care less about the other accessories if it brought the price down about 25 bucks. So im just gonna patiently wait and see what comes out the press throughout April and make a decision by May. Great review by the way. I only wish you had used red to mark the part of the barrel you modified because without the toy in hand most people wont have a clue what too look for in that picture. The one question I have is about the transformation. If I can handle the MP seeker mold, will MP-36 stress me out? Or is it on about the same level of complexity? Im not a fan of complex transformations. Ive never even fully transformed Hegemon. All those damn pannels on the legs/gun handle got me like screw this s**t let me just leave him in robot mode. Should I expect the same from MP-36? Or even worse? Is it another ROTF Leader Prime?

That would be Megaplex (possible blue inner shins) and trans Metals Megatron (in black). As for Takara admitting direct fault? Don't hold your breathe.
fenrir72
God Of Transformers

Postby Rated X » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:01 am

fenrir72 wrote:

That would be Megaplex (possible blue inner shins) and trans Metals Megatron (in black). As for Takara admitting direct fault? Don't hold your breathe.

Remember not too long ago MP Ramjet got a fix for defective parts from Takara? They sent all the online retailers the parts to ship out to people who bought him and fix the rest of the leftover stock. Mine came opened and fixed by tfsource because I bought him late in the game. I could see Takara sending out parts baggies with revised parts down the line. And as many reissues as MP-10 has gotten I think its safe to say MP-36 should get a couple reissues including the inevitable Brown King diaclone repaint. Theyre gonna milk that mold to death like MP-10 and if any QC issues stand in the way of success I believe they will make revisions in future reissues. If the chipping paint was the biggest issue best believe MP-36-B will feature a non painted gun metal plastic described as being "comic accurate" or "battle version" or some other stupid title to introduce a non painted version without admitting the paint on the original sucked. Im calling it. Thats just my opinion of course based on previous MP releases by Takara.With all the money and effort they put into. MP-36, theyre gonna shove that mold down our throats until everyone owns at least one version.
Rated X
Banned

Postby fenrir72 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:32 am

Rated X wrote:
fenrir72 wrote:

Remember not too long ago MP Ramjet got a fix for defective parts from Takara? They sent all the online retailers the parts to ship out to people who bought him and fix the rest of the leftover stock. Mine came opened and fixed by tfsource because I bought him late in the game. I could see Takara sending out parts baggies with revised parts down the line. And as many reissues as MP-10 has gotten I think its safe to say MP-36 should get a couple reissues including the inevitable Brown King diaclone repaint. Theyre gonna milk that mold to death like MP-10 and if any QC issues stand in the way of success I believe they will make revisions in future reissues. If the chipping paint was the biggest issue best believe MP-36-B will feature a non painted gun metal plastic described as being "comic accurate" or "battle version" or some other stupid title to introduce a non painted version without admitting the paint on the original sucked. Im calling it. Thats just my opinion of course based on previous MP releases by Takara.With all the money and effort they put into. MP-36, theyre gonna shove that mold down our throats until everyone owns at least one version.

Depends. From the noise produced post release, most breakages seem to be from mishandling. The thick plastic on the extensions is more of the design. I doubt Takara will release a replacement part for that. That would entail readjusting the master mold. Possible ver.2 but again, won't hold out my breathe.

Now, for possible repaints? Maybe. This Megs is waaaaaaaay different from MP-05 which got like 3 versions. But being a bad guy, who knows.........
fenrir72
God Of Transformers

Postby MightyMagnus78 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:12 am

Motto: ""Consistency is victory.""
Weapon: Shoulder Mounted Rocket Launcher
Ironhidensh wrote:Now, on that note, I did have one issue that needed some “modification”. The part that his gun barrel folds down on had some raised ridges molded on. I assume it is too provide friction to help hold the barrel in place. These ridges stuck out too far and completely prevented the movement of the barrel. I had to take an knife and shave them down a bit.

[url=HTTP://SMG.PHOTOBUCKET.COM/USER/IRONHIDENSH/MEDIA/20170409_165250.JPG.HTML]Image[/url

Sorry Ironhidensh. As I don't have Meg's in-hand yet, could you please indicate which pieces you needed to modify in the picture above. Thanks.
MightyMagnus78
Godmaster
News Credits: 1
Alt Mode: Truck
Courage: 9
Firepower: 6

Postby Ironhidensh » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:14 am

Hopefully this picture points it out better. Please ask with any questions.

Ironhidensh
Faction Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #54 Marvel Comics 1989 (W) Budiansky (A/CA) Delbo 210422A"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #24 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2020 AUG200535 24B (CA) Goux"
TRANSFORMERS #24 R ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #9 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 AUG210584 9B (CA) Tramontano"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #5 Cvr A Image Comics 2024 Skybound 1223IM323 5A (CA) Johnson"
TRANSFORMERS #5 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers DAWN OF THE PREDACUS BotCon One-Shot IDW Comics 2016 240415A"
NEW!
Transformers DAWN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #9 1st ptg Marvel Comics 1985 (CA) Manley (W) Budiansky 230926A"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #14 Cover A IDW Comics 2019 BOLD NEW ERA 14A (CA) Zama AUG190756"
TRANSFORMERS #14 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers WAR'S END #1 Cvr A IDW Comics 2022 DEC210546 1A (CA) Hernandez"
Transformers WAR'S ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS GALAXIES #1 RI-A 1:10 IDW Comics 2019 1RIA (CA) Caltsoudas 211118A"
TRANSFORMERS GALAX ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS ESCAPE #4 Cvr A IDW Comics 2021 JAN210504 4A (CA) McGuire-Smith"
TRANSFORMERS ESCAP ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #49 Marvel Comics 1989 (W) Budiansky (A/CA) Delbo 210422A"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #20 Marvel Comics 1986 (A/CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 231010V"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #4 2nd ptg Cvr A Megatron Image Comics 2024 0124IM894 (CA) Howard"
NEW!
TRANSFORMERS #4 2n ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #6 Cvr A Image Comics 2024 Skybound 0124IM319 6A (CA) Johnson"
NEW!
TRANSFORMERS #6 Cv ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 09 Voyager Class Movie 2 Thundercracker" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Power Charge Bumblebee Action Figure - Spinning Core, Lights and Sounds - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 10.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Rippersnapper" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Blackwing" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Titan Class Predaking" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 8 Newman Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Beast Hunters Legion Class Smokescreen Stealth Fighter Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Combiner Force Team Combiner Galvatronus" on AMAZON
Buy "Potato Head Transformers Mixable Mashable Heroes as Optimus Prime and Grimlock Figures" on AMAZON