This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Transformers Bumblebee Movie Discussion Thread

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Join us to discuss the movies and stuff up to date with news for the 2017 release of Transformers 5. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

New Details on Transformers Bumblebee Movie with Lorenzo di Bonaventura #BumblebeeMovie

Postby Va'al » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:21 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Media and entertainment online publication Entertainment Weekly has posted a fairly sizeable piece on the upcoming Bumblebee movie from the Paramount live action Transformers universe, featuring some information we were already aware of, plus some new details via an interview with producer Lorenzo diBonaventura.

In the piece, which you can read in full here, they touch on the idea of moving back on the Bumblebee story, shifting gears into a more 'vulnerable' role and look with the Volswagen beetle car mode, the choice of script and human lead Charlie / Hailee Steinfeld, what it might mean for the future of the movie franchise, and what other characters we're to expect in the movie itself - three Decepticons in total, including the jet who may or may not be Starscream after all. Partnering with our own speculations about the possible success of this new venture, why not join the discussion too, and let us know what you make of this direction for the movies?

“That was probably the most hotly contested thing, simply because: ‘Wow …. um, and the Beetle can go fast? Ooookay,’” di Bonaventura says. “But I’ve screened [a rough cut] three times, and there has not been a single comment from the audience that they didn’t like the fact that we made it the Beetle. The warmth of it certainly helps us, but also, the sheer freshness of it is really fun.”

That shape creates the sense of an under dog, which is a good thing for a hero who is in a strange world, all by himself, trying to find a way home.

“Psychologically, you’re absolutely right,” di Bonaventura says. “It’s kind of funny. A metal guy made out of a Camaro, or Bumblebee … is one is weaker than the other? I don’t know, but it is how you feel. It is what your experience is of it, in a way.”

[...]

“It’s nice it’s changing,” di Bonaventura says, acknowledging that the Transformers films haven’t exactly delivered strong roles for women. “When we were debating it, the idea of a young girl seemed to us to be a real change in our direction.”

And Steinfeld proved to be the fearsome flesh-and-blood lead they needed. “I’m just amazed at how talented she is,” di Bonaventura says. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen an actor never miss a beat for the entire shoot. It was crazy. We ended up ahead of schedule because she was just so on it all the time. We could move quicker.”

[...]

Another change was reducing the sheer number of robots-in-disguise featured in this movie. That allowed screenwriter Christina Hodson to focus on the bond between Charlie and Bumblebee and tell a coming-of-age story at the heart of this epic action adventure.

“She wrote a really beautiful script that really played into the emotion of the relationship of the two,” di Bonaventura says. “So looking at the movie from that perspective, we thought, we don’t want to overwhelm one Autobot with too many Decepticons. So he has three primary antagonists.”

Two others, who take the form of automobiles, are also being kept secret for now.

[...]

Right now, Bumblebee has to pull off his own film, though.

“If Bee’s successful, we can have a Bee 2, no doubt,” di Bonaventura. “We have a good sense of where a second movie would go. For me, the greatest thing that came out of the writer’s room was the sense that we could go in any number of directions. It opened up our minds to choices.”

Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Re: Bumblebee: The Movie Discussion Thread

Postby 1984forever » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:24 am

I’ve seen all 5 Transformers on opening day except 3 and 5, which I saw on the night before, but I’m not going to see Bumblebee. I don’t care if it’s supposed to be more G1, I need this movie to fail because of the article above. Transformers was always an ensemble with no main character. I don’t want to see a movie focused on one Transformer and a bunch of humans. The fandom has been saying that humans get too much screen time for years now PLUS we left Bumblebee hives buzzing on the shelves because the focus was too much on him. But what do these guys do? They double down! Transformers fans don’t hate Bumblebee, we just don’t want the entire movie to be about him- which is what this movie is- with talks of a Bumblebee solo sequel! How are you going to make solo movies spotlighting different Transformers if you keep making movies about Bumblebee? It’s a cash grab. TLK underperformed and all these guys want to do is figure out a new way to keep the money train on the rails.

I’ll catch this crap on On Demand next April.
1984forever
Targetmaster

Postby Burn » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:29 am

Motto: "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings to randomly click things in the Admin Panel to see what it breaks."
1984forever wrote:Transformers fans

You do NOT speak for all the fans, so don't presume you know what us "Transformers fans" do and don't want.
Burn
Forum Admin
News Credits: 226

Postby ToaLeePrime » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:20 am

Motto: "Strength in Solitude"
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
Burn wrote:

You do NOT speak for all the fans, so don't presume you know what us "Transformers fans" do and don't want.
I second this notion, every fan wants something different out of a new piece of media, and humans have always played a major role in the story of the Transformers.
ToaLeePrime
Micromaster
News Credits: 3
Watch ToaLeePrime on YouTube
Alt Mode: 2016 Dodge Challenger SRT
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 9
Endurance: 10
Courage: 5
Firepower: 3
Skill: 7

Postby 1984forever » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:50 am

Burn wrote:

Paid to see TF1 two times with 2 different GFs the day it came out. Then paid to see it again the next day with my friend who only went because I told him it was a good movie.

Saw TF2 and 3 both times with my wife and then returned the next day each time to see it solo.

Saw TF4 with my wife and then once again with my son only because he wanted to see it.

Had to see TF5 by myself because 4 stunk so bad, and then did not return because 5 was pure garbage.

See a trend here? If SOME of us fans don’t get what we want, then SOME of us fans will stop spending SO MUCH of our money.
1984forever
Targetmaster

Postby ZeroWolf » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:02 am

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Weapon: Battle Blades
But what if the fans who do want this, spend more money then you? Plus what ever contribution you or I make is dwarfed by the international markets, like China. You don't have as much sway as you think you do. Though you also didn't deal with burns main objection, which is you only speak for yourself, no one else.
Got news for Seibertron? Share it here!
ZeroWolf
News Admin
News Credits: 1350

Postby 1984forever » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:22 am

ZeroWolf wrote:But what if the fans who do want this, spend more money then you? Plus what ever contribution you or I make is dwarfed by the international markets, like China. You don't have as much sway as you think you do. Though you also didn't deal with burns main objection, which is you only speak for yourself, no one else.

I don’t only speak for myself because many fans have been very vocal about the amount of screen time the humans get and the desire to see different TFs in the sequels. TLK underperformed, and I will not be surprised when BB underperforms as well in the U.S. and ESPECIALLY abroad. I’ll be back next year to say “I told you so.”
1984forever
Targetmaster

Postby #Sideways# » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:30 am

Motto: "Wake up. Wake up and smell the ashes."
Weapon: Dual Compression Cannons
Yeah, this looks great and I've been a fan of Transformers my whole life. Frankly, this director seems to have a great concept about building a Transformers movie: A small cast. The smaller the cast, the more development you can have for the characters. It's not like a series where you can have more characters be totally fleshed out, it's a two hour film -- and that is not a lot of room for character development when you have a large cast of characters.

As for this discussion... I'd just like to point out that no matter what Hollywood makes, there will still be the group of people who say, "It's different, ergo I hate it." Simply put, it is easy to have a closed mind, even if one has already watched all of the movies.
Check out my YouTube for my Transformers Trading Card Game lists, gameplay and general thoughts on the game!
#Sideways#
Godmaster
News Credits: 62
Watch #Sideways# on YouTube
Alt Mode: Motorcycle
Strength: 5
Speed: 9
Endurance: Infinity
Courage: 7
Firepower: 7

Postby ZeroWolf » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:41 am

1984forever wrote:
ZeroWolf wrote:But what if the fans who do want this, spend more money then you? Plus what ever contribution you or I make is dwarfed by the international markets, like China. You don't have as much sway as you think you do. Though you also didn't deal with burns main objection, which is you only speak for yourself, no one else.

I don’t only speak for myself because many fans have been very vocal about the amount of screen time the humans get and the desire to see different TFs in the sequels. TLK underperformed, and I will not be surprised when BB underperforms as well in the U.S. and ESPECIALLY abroad. I’ll be back next year to say “I told you so.”

No you agree with other fans views but you don't speak for all of them. This is just your opinion. To speak for the fans you would have to be some kind of democratically elected spokeperson.

Also, what would you do if bb actually performs well? It's certainly not out of the realm of the impossible, it's got a smaller budget for starters and the director has a lot going for him.
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby Qwan » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:57 am

Motto: "There's no such thing as a no-lose situation, but if you try your hardest, you'll lose the least."
Weapon: Hand-Mounted Lasers
See, I thought for a long time that I wanted Transformers media to be ensemble pieces with no "main character" and less screen-time for the humans, but I'm really on board with the Bumblebee movie at this point. Because I realized that what I want most isn't actually those things; what I want most is a good movie. And the Bumblebee movie looks like it'll be that.

So yeah, I'll absolutely be paying to see it ASAP once it comes out. I'll be convincing my more casual friend to come along with me. And if things work out, hopefully we'll have a great time and show our support for this new direction at the same time! :D

ultraimpossibleman wrote:Grand innacurration and heavy mistakes !

Diem wrote:This is exactly the kind of nonsense I'm here for.
Qwan
Gestalt Team Leader
News Credits: 102
Watch Qwan on YouTube
Alt Mode: The very concept of transformation itself
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 3

Postby 1984forever » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:21 am

ZeroWolf wrote:
1984forever wrote:

No you agree with other fans views but you don't speak for all of them. This is just your opinion. To speak for the fans you would have to be some kind of democratically elected spokeperson.

Also, what would you do if bb actually performs well? It's certainly not out of the realm of the impossible, it's got a smaller budget for starters and the director has a lot going for him.

If it does well then I'll eat my words on a silicon wafer.
1984forever
Targetmaster

Postby Stormshot_Prime » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:17 am

Motto: "Primus is in his heaven, all’s right with the world."
Weapon: Fusion-Powered Particle Blaster
Female roles are fantastic and all, but what’s wrong with the audience making a connection to the actual Cybertronians, making them real and likeable characters facing the heavy weight of the war? These movies would do so much more if the transformers were more than war machines.
Stormshot_Prime
Vehicon
Alt Mode: All-Terrain Battle SUV
Strength: 6
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Courage: 7
Firepower: 4

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:41 am

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
Stormshot_Prime wrote:Female roles are fantastic and all, but what’s wrong with the audience making a connection to the actual Cybertronians, making them real and likeable characters facing the heavy weight of the war? These movies would do so much more if the transformers were more than war machines.
That seems to be what this movie's gonna try and do with Bumblebee himself.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 436
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 8
Skill: 9

Postby Evil Eye » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:38 am

Motto: "Don't be a goddamn coward."
Weapon: Acid Spray Gun
Stormshot_Prime wrote:Female roles are fantastic and all, but what’s wrong with the audience making a connection to the actual Cybertronians, making them real and likeable characters facing the heavy weight of the war? These movies would do so much more if the transformers were more than war machines.

TBH they kinda did that with Optimus Prime himself (until they ruined the development with TLK), showing him getting progressively more and more disillusioned with humanity after he sacrificed so much to protect them and they threw it all back in his face. And predictably everyone whined about it because "B-But Optimus Prime can't react realistically to his freinds being slaughtered by the race he swore to protect! RUINED FOREVER! Bring back the Giant Purple Griffin!".
Ha ha Transformers go brrrrr
Evil Eye
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 12
Alt Mode: F-4 Phantom II
Courage: 10
Firepower: 6
Skill: 8

Postby Burn » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:04 pm

Motto: "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings to randomly click things in the Admin Panel to see what it breaks."
1984forever wrote:If it does well then I'll eat my words on a silicon wafer.

You willing to put your loud mouth to the test?

You've got three warnings there. They can disappear.

I'm still waiting on a shiney new Metroplex from the last fool to run his mouth and bet against me.

You in?
Burn
Forum Admin

Postby 1984forever » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:11 pm

Burn wrote:
1984forever wrote:If it does well then I'll eat my words on a silicon wafer.

You willing to put your loud mouth to the test?

You've got three warnings there. They can disappear.

I'm still waiting on a shiney new Metroplex from the last fool to run his mouth and bet against me.

You in?
of course I'm in. And I'm not like whoever owes you a Metroplex, I pay my debts bro.
1984forever
Targetmaster

Postby Burn » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:14 pm

1984forever wrote:of course I'm in. And I'm not like whoever owes you a Metroplex, I pay my debts bro.

Cool cool ... but a shiny new Metroplex may be hard to find these days, so I'll settle for a shiny new PotP Predaking should I win. Should you win, your current three warnings go bye bye.

I guess now we need to decide what defines "performs well".
Burn
Forum Admin

Postby william-james88 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:15 pm

Motto: "'till All Are One"
Burn wrote:
1984forever wrote:of course I'm in. And I'm not like whoever owes you a Metroplex, I pay my debts bro.

Cool cool ... but a shiny new Metroplex may be hard to find these days, so I'll settle for a shiny new PotP Predaking should I win. Should you win, your current three warnings go bye bye.

A movie needs to do at least double what it cost to make to break even. So, knowing this, how about four times the cost of the film? In total. The investors will surely think that is performing well, so we should too. This would mean a total of 400 million.
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

william-james88
News Staff
News Credits: 4499
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Postby 1984forever » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:51 pm

william-james88 wrote:
Burn wrote:

A movie needs to do at least double what it cost to make to break even. So, knowing this, how about four times the cost of the film? In total. The investors will surely think that is performing well, so we should too. This would mean a total of 400 million.
Good deal. Just got Predaking in the mail yesterday because impatience got the best of me, but I don't want him now because the individual figs are ultra class.
1984forever
Targetmaster

Postby Qwan » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:45 pm

Motto: "There's no such thing as a no-lose situation, but if you try your hardest, you'll lose the least."
Weapon: Hand-Mounted Lasers
Ooh, this is exciting! I'll be keeping an eye on this to make sure you both keep your word Image

ultraimpossibleman wrote:Grand innacurration and heavy mistakes !

Diem wrote:This is exactly the kind of nonsense I'm here for.
Qwan
Gestalt Team Leader
News Credits: 102
Watch Qwan on YouTube
Alt Mode: The very concept of transformation itself
Speed: 6
Endurance: 3

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:55 pm

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
What about critical acclaim? A bad movie can still be a commercial success by making a lot of money (case in point: ROTF). I'd think this film would also need positive reviews from audiences and critics alike to enhance the wellness of its performance.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 436
Intelligence: 10
Courage: 8
Skill: 9

Postby Burn » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:34 pm

Sabrblade wrote:What about critical acclaim? A bad movie can still be a commercial success by making a lot of money (case in point: ROTF). I'd think this film would also need positive reviews from audiences and critics alike to enhance the wellness of its performance.

It's about performance, not reception.

william-james88 wrote:A movie needs to do at least double what it cost to make to break even. So, knowing this, how about four times the cost of the film? In total. The investors will surely think that is performing well, so we should too. This would mean a total of 400 million.

Are we talking Internationally or just US domestically? 'cause I'm only in for Internationally.
(Considering only two movies have broken the 400 million mark this year)
Burn
Forum Admin

Postby ZeroWolf » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:16 am

I would say in total, so domestic and international.
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby 1984forever » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:46 am

ZeroWolf wrote:I would say in total, so domestic and international.

Basically if 400 million is good for them (studio, investors etc) then it's good for me. I'm fully expecting to hear words like "flop" and "box office bomb" thrown around come January though.
1984forever
Targetmaster

Postby ZeroWolf » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:09 am

We shall see, won't we. Though if it fails people won't be able to blame bay (then again he is listed as a producer with Spielberg as a executive producer...and people blame tmnt on bay when he was pyour producing it..)
ZeroWolf
News Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K27 RHINOX Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Voyager Hasbro 2021 New"
WFC-K27 RHINOX Tra ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K25 WINGFINGER Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe Hasbro 2021 New"
WFC-K25 WINGFINGER ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BWVS-03 CHEETOR + WASPINATOR Transformers Beast Wars Again Kingdom Hasbro 2024"
BWVS-03 CHEETOR + ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BLURR Transformers Studio Series 86-03 Animated Movie Deluxe Hasbro 2021 New"
BLURR Transformers ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BWVS-04 TIGATRON + BLACKARACHNIA Transformers Beast Wars Again Kingdom Hasbro"
BWVS-04 TIGATRON + ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-E15 RACE TRACK PATROL Transformers Earthrise Micromasters Hasbro 2020 New"
NEW!
WFC-E15 RACE TRACK ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "EXO-SUIT SPIKE WITWICKY Transformers Studio Series 86 Core Class 2022 230131A"
EXO-SUIT SPIKE WIT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-E17 ARCEE Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Deluxe Hasbro 2020 New"
WFC-E17 ARCEE Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-E22 QUINTESSON JUDGE Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Tomy ER EX-08"
NEW!
WFC-E22 QUINTESSON ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K7 PALEOTREX Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe Hasbro 2020 New"
WFC-K7 PALEOTREX T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #1 Cover B (1st Print) IDW Comics 2019 BOLD NEW ERA SIEGE 1B"
TRANSFORMERS #1 Co ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K10 MEGATRON Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Leader Beast Wars 2021 New"
WFC-K10 MEGATRON T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #9 Cover B IDW Comic 2019 BOLD NEW ERA SIEGE 9B (CA) Tramontano"
TRANSFORMERS #9 Co ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "FRENZY (RED) Transformers Studio Series 86 SS-115 Core Takara Tomy 2024 New"
NEW!
FRENZY (RED) Trans ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Energon Igniters Nitro Bumblebee Action Figure - Included Core Powers Driving Action - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 7-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 08 Leader Class Movie 1 Decepticon Blackout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series Number 14 Voyager Class Autobot Ironhide" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Rippersnapper" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Air Raid Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Combiner Force Team Combiner Menasor, 8.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Alpha Trion Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON