This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Transformers Power of the Primes Leaks, Rumours, Reveals, and More

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Re: Transformers Power of the Primes Leaks, Rumours, Reveals, and More

Postby ExciKaiser » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:34 am

HA. Finally the information I was looking since the first page of this thread just appeared on the Legends thread :

Yes, this is important informaiton for me.
Since the begining I was wondering how the pretender shells were suppposed to attach to other figures, I was afraid they should connect to the male ports used for attaching the new hands-foots-armor, apparently, no they have a classic 5Mm port, which made them usable by any figure.

Great news.

(Yes, I already planned to use potp Metalhawk shell for TR Metalhawk)
Not english-native speaker. Thank you for being cool on my typos.
My Collection - Transformers Go Combiner Teams onboard !
Looking for the claw-shield-gun which comes with Magna convoy.
ExciKaiser
Combiner
News Credits: 1
Buy from ExciKaiser on eBay

Postby Nightbeat339 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:16 am

Weapon: Plasma Sphere Shooter
I would love if Waverider was sold individually, just like the other Prime Masters. He's my favorite pretender so I've been hoping they'd release some new version of him.
Nightbeat339
Mini-Con
Buy from Nightbeat339 on eBay
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 8

Postby Carnivius_Prime » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:56 am

Motto: "A cunning smile is more devastating than the fiercest weapon."
Weapon: Anti-Thermal Cannon
Rated X wrote:Im not a huge fan of how hasbros taking on the pretenders for potp. I liked the old way funpub started with the shell becoming the robot. Granted that was a total fail for the autobot human characters. So this scale makes sense. But I cant help feel like this scale will cheat us of ever getting real figures of these characters. These things feel more like kids meal toys than something that should be sold as part of a main line. Same thing with the titan masters that didn't get actual bodies.

Yeah I'd like the Pretender concept revisited properly sometime.
I have anxiety, depression and aspergers syndrome so my behaviour can be erratic. I don't mean offense to anyone. Just very picky about my Transformers collecting. You're all cool! :)

Likes: Bayverse, Marvel UK G1, Geoff Senior art, '86 movie (more for style/soundtrack rather than Star Wars plot)
Dislikes: Bumblebee movie (lousy rehashed dumb crud), TFA, G1 cartoon, IDW G1, BW/BM, MP. The entire concept of Autobot Megatron
Carnivius_Prime
City Commander
News Credits: 19

Postby Flashwave » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:03 pm

Motto: "Our society's downfall will not be this war. The war IS our society. That which will get us will be the little things. Some humanoid race, some tossed cannon, the little things that no one looks out for. THAT is for what we must be vigilant."
Weapon: Twin Shoulder-Mounted Rocket Launchers
Carnivius_Prime wrote:
Rated X wrote:Im not a huge fan of how hasbros taking on the pretenders for potp. I liked the old way funpub started with the shell becoming the robot. Granted that was a total fail for the autobot human characters. So this scale makes sense. But I cant help feel like this scale will cheat us of ever getting real figures of these characters. These things feel more like kids meal toys than something that should be sold as part of a main line. Same thing with the titan masters that didn't get actual bodies.

What more do you want? Its a poseless, human shaped brick that opens up to reveal a small robot that sorta transforms into something. ;)

Seriously, as Pretenders go, I think this is the best they can hope fpr in this day and age. Anything larger is going to be expected to be more like an action figure for the kiddie market or ot wont sell to the general public (yes, I know the collectors would eat it up.) with this, you have your suit of armor and you can even almost see a head in the helmet. And with tje targetmaster option, they are marginLly more useful than paperweights.
Flashwave
City Commander
News Credits: 8
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Postby Overcracker » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:03 pm

Motto: "Collecting little transforming action figures is the right of all sentient Geeks."
Weapon: Indepentently Targetable Particle Beam Cannons
Carnivius_Prime wrote:

Like how?

The only difference between these and the original concept is size. Otherwise the function is identical, and these get the benefit of an added weapon mode for the shell.

Not sure how Hasbro would market static shells with smaller robots that turn into non-descript vehicles inside in a larger scale to modern audiences.

If anything the Mega Pretenders may be more marketable in a larger scale, with transforming shells, and a combination gimmick between the shell and inner robot in vehicle mode.
Check the Collection Manager Updates at the thread in the General discussion forum.
TF Search Website First Beta is now up. Click this link!
Beast Wars complete, Beast Machines almost done.
Last Update: March 14, 2024:
Now holding 1000!!! figures and 2310 releases of figures. Please check forum post above
Overcracker
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 5
Watch Overcracker on YouTube
Strength: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 9
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10

Postby Flashwave » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:06 pm

Motto: "Our society's downfall will not be this war. The war IS our society. That which will get us will be the little things. Some humanoid race, some tossed cannon, the little things that no one looks out for. THAT is for what we must be vigilant."
Weapon: Twin Shoulder-Mounted Rocket Launchers
Overcracker wrote:
Carnivius_Prime wrote:

Like how?

The only difference between these and the original concept is size. Otherwise the function is identical, and these get the benefit of an added weapon mode for the shell.

Not sure how Hasbro would market static shells with smaller robots that turn into non-descript vehicles inside in a larger scale to modern audiences.

If anything the Mega Pretenders may be more marketable in a larger scale, with transforming shells, and a combination gimmick between the shell and inner robot in vehicle mode.

And we are sorta dancing around that with the Evolution Leader Class figures. its not exact, as the outer shell is an otherwise lifeless trailer, but thats only a short hop away.
Flashwave
City Commander
News Credits: 8
Speed: 9

Postby Jelze Bunnycat » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:17 pm

Motto: "The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance."
Nightbeat339 wrote:I would love if Waverider was sold individually, just like the other Prime Masters. He's my favorite pretender so I've been hoping they'd release some new version of him.

He will be, but no sooner than a year from now. He may be Wave 4 or even 5, and has no Prime attached to him yet, but by checking off the confirmed ones, we know it's gonna be either Amalgamous Prime, Onyx Prime or even Prima.
The resident Rewind... well, half of one :lol:

- Jelze Bunnycat =:3

Looking for:
- TR Furos (Hardhead's head) and Crashbash (lost him :()
- PotP Punch head
- TR Galvatron right arm (the gun one)
- CW Brake-Neck/UW Wildrider, CW Offroad
- TR Twinferno & Grotusque
- Greenlight, Lancer and PotP Elita-1 (plus repro Victorion hands and feet?)
Jelze Bunnycat
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 241
Strength: 5
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Skill: 5

Postby Carnivius_Prime » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:30 pm

Motto: "A cunning smile is more devastating than the fiercest weapon."
Weapon: Anti-Thermal Cannon
Overcracker wrote:The only difference between these and the original concept is size. Otherwise the function is identical, and these get the benefit of an added weapon mode for the shell.

So after 30 years of toy technology progress the only thing Hasbro could think up to reimagine the Pretender concept was to shrink them down into tiny little figures that turn into crappy looking Targetmaster weapons? Add to that the characters seem to be messed up (the Skullgrin inner robot being Liege Maximo even though it resembles Skullgrin himself and that they turn into mostly goofy Titan Master heads just really kill it for me. Not saying the vehicle modes of the original Pretenders were works of art and most were just folded over limbs but I had a fondness for some such as Cloudburst and Landmine's alt-modes that could be redone to look better with better transformations while still keeping a robot that could be compressed into an outer shell. I dunno maybe with a shell that's like an Iron Man-sorta suit that is applied in pieces where perhaps the robot's arm and leg joints extend out to accomodate the extra room needed for the articulation of the shell's limbs. The shell could still then be seperated put together by itself, perhaps not having the same level of articulation afforded by clipping the pieces to the robot but still clipping together to have at least as much as the original Pretender shell if not more (could have turning waist joint and hip joints done like the shoulders. Just wish they'd something with some imagination and creativity. These new figures just look like cheap-looking lazy crap to me that definitely don't even feel 3 years worth superior to the original Pretenders, let alone 30.
I have anxiety, depression and aspergers syndrome so my behaviour can be erratic. I don't mean offense to anyone. Just very picky about my Transformers collecting. You're all cool! :)

Likes: Bayverse, Marvel UK G1, Geoff Senior art, '86 movie (more for style/soundtrack rather than Star Wars plot)
Dislikes: Bumblebee movie (lousy rehashed dumb crud), TFA, G1 cartoon, IDW G1, BW/BM, MP. The entire concept of Autobot Megatron
Carnivius_Prime
City Commander
News Credits: 19

Postby Jelze Bunnycat » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:46 pm

Carnivius_Prime wrote:
Overcracker wrote:The only difference between these and the original concept is size. Otherwise the function is identical, and these get the benefit of an added weapon mode for the shell.

So after 30 years of toy technology progress the only thing Hasbro could think up to reimagine the Pretender concept was to shrink them down into tiny little figures that turn into crappy looking Targetmaster weapons? Add to that the characters seem to be messed up (the Skullgrin inner robot being Liege Maximo even though it resembles Skullgrin himself and that they turn into mostly goofy Titan Master heads just really kill it for me. Not saying the vehicle modes of the original Pretenders were works of art and most were just folded over limbs but I had a fondness for some such as Cloudburst and Landmine's alt-modes that could be redone to look better with better transformations while still keeping a robot that could be compressed into an outer shell. I dunno maybe with a shell that's like an Iron Man-sorta suit that is applied in pieces where perhaps the robot's arm and leg joints extend out to accomodate the extra room needed for the articulation of the shell's limbs. The shell could still then be seperated put together by itself, perhaps not having the same level of articulation afforded by clipping the pieces to the robot but still clipping together to have at least as much as the original Pretender shell if not more (could have turning waist joint and hip joints done like the shoulders. Just wish they'd something with some imagination and creativity. These new figures just look like cheap-looking lazy crap to me that definitely don't even feel 3 years worth superior to the original Pretenders, let alone 30.

To be fair, Hasbro tried to combine two gimmicks into one with them, and that's always been a bit risky. Don't worry about TakaraTomy, I'm fully expecting them to retool the Prime Master to have their original Pretender robot heads. Do be aware that two are pretools: Landmine out of Metalhawk, and Waverider out of Cloudburst, differing only in head plate and shell front.

Looking for:
- PotP Punch head
Jelze Bunnycat
God Of Transformers

Postby ExciKaiser » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:32 pm

Carnivius_Prime wrote:

It's exactly what they did : they revisited the concept. (In the probably the most pertinent way considering the source material if you want my opinion)

Maye you wanted to say "I'd like the Pretender concept remade exactly as before, just with more articulations".
Last edited by ExciKaiser on Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ExciKaiser
Combiner

Postby Overcracker » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:35 pm

Motto: "Collecting little transforming action figures is the right of all sentient Geeks."
Weapon: Indepentently Targetable Particle Beam Cannons
Flashwave wrote:
Overcracker wrote:
Carnivius_Prime wrote:

Like how?

And we are sorta dancing around that with the Evolution Leader Class figures. its not exact, as the outer shell is an otherwise lifeless trailer, but thats only a short hop away.

Very true. If the Evolution gimmick can "evolve" (forgive the pun :lol: ), so that the trailer has a robot mode unto itself, it can totally be used for Mega Pretenders, and even update regular Pretenders for it.

That's a good idea. ;)^

Carnivius-Prime wrote:

So basically forgo the Pretender concept, and just make them wear Armor. So not really Pretenders anymore. So basically forget the entire reason people remember them for.

Unfortunately the Pretender concept is not a good one in practice.

If you want updated versions of Pretender characters that incorporate both the shell and the inner robots features, then we have been getting some of those. Generations Skullgrin, Thunderwing more recently Metalhawk and Black Shadow (Sky Shadow)
There have been pretender updates without the pretender shell.

This time we get some actual shells which for me work better in a smaller size, and the targetmaster gimmick is functional enough. I'ts hard to take a humanoid shape and turn it into a convincing gun while still allowing for a smaller robot to fit inside.

Also really how much following do these characters have to warrant a larger line of Pretenders? I doubt Hasbro couldn't have come up with a better larger updated, but I doubt it would have been worth it. Not many cared for Metalhawk in the boxset. Not sure there'd be much demand for Birdbrain or Icepick or Iguanus. Who even remembers what their inner robots transformed into?
Check the Collection Manager Updates at the thread in the General discussion forum.
TF Search Website First Beta is now up. Click this link!
Beast Wars complete, Beast Machines almost done.
Last Update: March 14, 2024:
Now holding 1000!!! figures and 2310 releases of figures. Please check forum post above
Overcracker
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 5
Watch Overcracker on YouTube
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10

Postby o.supreme » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:48 pm

Motto: "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"
I really don't have a strong opinion either way, as 1988 (and Pretenders) was originally where I parted ways with Transformers. However....although Hasbro may not be doing this now, I think a compromise fans are considering would be something like the original MOTU King Hiss

http://he-man.wikia.com/wiki/King_Hiss

The Body was 2 pieces , but the arms were separate pieces which allowed for articulation. There was no change in the legs, but its not difficult to imagine the same concept.
Bucket/Want List: Botcon 2016 Customization Class Ratchet (G2 Deco), or Customization Class Ratchet (Marvel Comics Deco) **would also be willing to pay for an Unpainted Botcon 2016 Ratchet, TT Legends Fortress Head (only) with working Electronics

Wish List of Modern Combiners: Road Caesar, Monstructor & Dinoking (proper size to fiction), Landcross, Guard City, Battle Gaia, & G2 Defensor. Wish List of Titans:Metrotitan,Majin Zarak
o.supreme
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 55
Watch o.supreme on YouTube
Buy from o.supreme on eBay

Postby Kurona » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:25 pm

Motto: "Don't forget to subscribe to the official Doctor Who youtube channel"
Weapon: Temperature Variant H20 Gun
I also think we forget that, despite the following they have on the boards... a lot of the fandom downright hate the Pretenders as a concept. Even if they were to be brought back, only a small portion of collectors would want to bother with them beyond Bludgeon. At a tiny size and price point, with a feature of turning into a weapon and bundled with the big-name 13... I think that's the only way these could get done.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 191
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 2
Endurance: 1
Courage: 3
Firepower: 1
Skill: 2

Postby ExciKaiser » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:42 pm

Kurona wrote:At a tiny size and price point, with a feature of turning into a weapon and bundled with the big-name 13... I think that's the only way these could get done.

Plus the fact they're now armors compatibles with all titan masters and prime masters, for me it's more than "the only way to do it", it's just the genius way to do it. The perfect occasion/timing to revisit the concept.
ExciKaiser
Combiner

Postby bodrock » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:12 pm

Motto: "Spare me this mockery of justice!"
Weapon: Heat-Seeking Laser Blasters
I may have cared less for the Pretender concept back in '88, but in the past year, I have fallen in love with them. Sure, they have $h!t for articulation and the innerbots indeed transform into...Cybertronian vehicles (?!), but I enjoy them quite a bit.
IMG_7118.JPG
MOTU? NO U
That said, I like the redux on the concept; as Prime Masters, there's definitely that versatility with the interchangeable shells, usage of the Matrix/heads/Prime Masters themselves, and as weapons, of course. The Titan Masters were a lot of fun, so seeing this scale and price-point for these TFs continue is cool in my book.
IMG_7702.JPG
It'd be great to see a Voyager or Leader class Pretender -- I think Ultra or Mega Pretenders would be perfect in that scale.
IMG_7781.JPG
The Pretenders ARE ALL DEAD
Of course, getting a Masterpiece with real articulation would be ideal for any Decepticon Pretender...and an immediate buy for me.

I'll most likely buy all the Prime Masters when they finally arrive -- I can't wait! :)
Transform & MEMEIFY!

>GAME-ON/UTAWARERUMONO/
>PretenderQuest
>On InstaGram
bodrock
City Commander
News Credits: 3
Alt Mode: Space Gangsta
Firepower: 6

Postby Jelze Bunnycat » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:32 pm

bodrock wrote:I'll most likely buy all the Prime Masters when they finally arrive -- I can't wait! :)

At the very least I'm geting the classic 6 plus Metalhawk, just for the suits.

Looking for:
- PotP Punch head
Jelze Bunnycat
God Of Transformers

Postby bodrock » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:39 pm

Motto: "Spare me this mockery of justice!"
Weapon: Heat-Seeking Laser Blasters
JelZe GoldRabbit wrote:
bodrock wrote:I'll most likely buy all the Prime Masters when they finally arrive -- I can't wait! :)

At the very least I'm geting the classic 6 plus Metalhawk, just for the suits.

I'm looking forward to Metalhawk the most, as well as the other Autobot Prime/Pretenders....since I only have Groundbreaker, and I think the humanoid-ish (?) shells are perfect in this scale.
IMG_7969.JPG
But the Cons just look so cool. :CON:

The Prime Master Cons won't be replacing the originals by any stretch - but I bet they'll make great weapons for their G1 brethren. Especially since their accessories can be expensive to replace!

I'm really looking forward to seeing more PotP reveals....perhaps the Seacons?
Transform & MEMEIFY!

>GAME-ON/UTAWARERUMONO/
>PretenderQuest
>On InstaGram
bodrock
City Commander
News Credits: 3
Alt Mode: Space Gangsta
Firepower: 6

Postby King Kuuga » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:06 pm

Motto: "Yesssssssss....."
Weapon: High Energy MASER Cannons
I'm about to read through every through every page of this thread to catch myself up, because I'm crazy like that, so let's look at how much our knowledge of this toyline changed from the initial rumors!
william-james88 wrote:Are you ready for some new Transformers Generations rumours? The last list was from a while back so I think we are overdue. These rumours all come from a post on 4 chan so take all of these with a grain of salt and it will be fun to see what pans out. The reason we are newsing this now is because some rumblings from toyfair seem to back part of it up, especially the mention of smaller figures still being a part of the next line.

These rumours mostly concern the last part of the trilogy, Power of the Primes which is due out in stores January 2018, but there is also mention of Titans Return since there will possibly be transition figures like Buzzsaw in Combiner Wars.

Here is the text found above if you have trouble reading it:

Prime Wars next Gimmick is toys to life. Download an App and scan the card that comes with the figure onto your iphone. Play "stages"(it's unkown what type of game it's going to be) using said character.

Well right off the bat, this is not the case. As we know now, the gimmick is combining again for the deluxe and voyager figures, Prime Master integration especially in the legends class, and evolution for leaders.

Titanmasters will be replaced by equally smaller guys. They won't be headmasters but closer to Micromasters that become target masters or weapon platforms.
Legends will still be able to cart the tiny men around

Mostly true and true.
Prime Wars will still be mostly 88-89 crew. Things like Turbomasters will show up from time to time.

So far, nope. The Prime Masters with Decoy Armor are, of course, all modeled after the Pretenders but the rest of the line seems to hearken from the earlier days of G1, with a few exceptions.
All 5 Dinobots will be made

Yep
as well as the remaining 3 insecticons will appear. Ransack will show up towards the end of TR as will Barrage. Venom will either be Wave 6 of TR or Wave 1 of PW. He's like Buzzsaw in CW where he may not be able to fit into wave 1.

Nope
Scorponok will be Next Titan after Trypticon

Definitely nope.
TR Arcee is just a repaint of TR Loudmouth

Thankfully she was much more than that!

So maybe 30% of the rumor was correct, all told.

Here's another post:
Sigma Magnus wrote:Thanks to Autovolt on Twitter, we've been alerted to a post on 4chan that supposedly reveals some previously unknown information about the upcoming Power of the Primes line! Take it with a grain of salt, however - this is in no way a confirmation. The post itself is below, as well as a transcript in case it's too small to read. Check it out, and let us know your thoughts in the Energon Pub!

There's a Beast Wars subline to Power of the Primes next year. I work at Amazon and this will be a shared online exclusive. Us and BBTS.

No original molds, but we will get the Takara Blackarachnia mold in the US from it. Eight Deluxe and two Voyagers, Primal and Megatron. Primal is a retool of the PotP Apeface. Megatron is a retool of PotP Snapdragon. They won't have Titan Masters, so don't worry.

(The PotP Grimlock is Leader sized, so it was never a consideration to be retooled as Megatron.)

TR Apeface and Snapdragon didn't happen and POTP Grimlock is a voyager. Puts the rest of the rumor in very shaky ground. I won't say it's 100% debunked since we only know the retail 2018 releases but it's highly unlikely that Amazon will get that many exclusives.
Last edited by King Kuuga on Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
King Kuuga
Gestalt
News Credits: 4
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 5
Courage: 6
Firepower: 9

Postby WreckerJack » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:32 am

Motto: "The complain train is leaving the station."
Weapon: Arc-Welders
I really like the clear plastic, looks like ice.
WreckerJack
Godmaster
News Credits: 295
Speed: 5
Endurance: 8
Courage: 7

Postby frogbat » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:05 am

Motto: "All my 6 nipples are tingling."
Weapon: Self-Propelled Photon Cannon
Though as for many the action masters were the death knell for my love of transformers, the pretenders were the sub line which marked a decline. In fact even if I would one day embark on completing my G1 collection, I'd stop short and not bother with the pretenders. Had a couple as a kid and well they weren't that great. The shell was annoying and the scale was way too off...

So fast forward to the PotP reveals and am pleasantly surprised by these. I love the titans returns line but never bothered with the little figures sold separately. These however, I think I'll try and pick up as much as possible.... Something about the collectibility, the homage and the way they integrated the little figures and their subsequent added "target master" functionality... I kinda prefer this gimmick to the evolution ones...
My personal prime collection so far in descending order of how great i reckon the toy is -
FE Prime, Silas Breakdown (Powerizer), Dreadwing (Powerizer), FE Bulkhead, Voyager StarScream (Powerizer), Ratchet, Soundwave, Arcee, Voyager Megatron (Powerizer), Wheeljack, Thundertron (Powerizer), Ultra Magnus (Powerizer), Knockout, Cliffjumper, Bumblebee,Airachnid
frogbat
Pretender
Strength: 6
Firepower: 5
Skill: 7

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:26 am

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
I can't help but wonder if one of the whole reasons for Hasbro even creating the human/monster-based Pretenders back in 1988 was to compete with the then-new-popular Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series with all its mutant and human toys taking over the toy shelves in all the stores at the time.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 436

Postby Kurona » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:29 am

Motto: "Don't forget to subscribe to the official Doctor Who youtube channel"
Weapon: Temperature Variant H20 Gun
Sabrblade wrote:I can't help but wonder if one of the whole reasons for Hasbro even creating the human/monster-based Pretenders back in 1988 was to compete with the then-new-popular Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series with all its mutant and human toys taking over the toy shelves in all the stores at the time.

Wasn't it because of He-Man?

Either way there's no doubt that they come up with it for that sort of reason, no matter what franchises inspired them. The brand was starting to fail and they figured they needed to do what was popular with the kids.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 191
Strength: 1
Speed: 2
Endurance: 1
Courage: 3
Firepower: 1
Skill: 2

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:34 am

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
Kurona wrote:
Sabrblade wrote:I can't help but wonder if one of the whole reasons for Hasbro even creating the human/monster-based Pretenders back in 1988 was to compete with the then-new-popular Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series with all its mutant and human toys taking over the toy shelves in all the stores at the time.

That came out before Transformers.
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 436

Postby o.supreme » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:37 am

Motto: "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"
Kurona wrote:

Either way there's no doubt that they come up with it for that sort of reason, no matter what franchises inspired them. The brand was starting to fail and they figured they needed to do what was popular with the kids.

Nah, I was a HUGE MOTU fan as well (well still am but...) after the failure of the 1987 live-action film, the MOTU toy line was pretty much done by 1988.

I'm not sure if Pretenders came out in 1988 because of TMNT, but it would not surprise me, that was really the year TMNT started to really gain momentum and popularity.

It was also the year I basically stopped collecting all toys, I was in 7th grade and the transition from elementary to Jr. High definitely meant no more toys, I still watched the cartoons though...Man am I glad I got over that phase fast, and immediately went back into toys after highschool 8-) .
Bucket/Want List: Botcon 2016 Customization Class Ratchet (G2 Deco), or Customization Class Ratchet (Marvel Comics Deco) **would also be willing to pay for an Unpainted Botcon 2016 Ratchet, TT Legends Fortress Head (only) with working Electronics

Wish List of Modern Combiners: Road Caesar, Monstructor & Dinoking (proper size to fiction), Landcross, Guard City, Battle Gaia, & G2 Defensor. Wish List of Titans:Metrotitan,Majin Zarak
o.supreme
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 55
Watch o.supreme on YouTube
Buy from o.supreme on eBay

Postby Relic0037 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:48 am

Motto: ""More than Meets the Eye, although my eyesight isn't what it used to be!""
Weapon: Slingshot
My brother & I had some of the Pretenders figures as kids, but what has me most looking forward to their upcoming reinterpreted releases was watching Supergod Masterforce a few years ago & having that fiction connected to those characters from my childhood.
Relic0037
Vehicon
News Credits: 4
Speed: 4
Courage: 6
Firepower: 3

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SCOURGE + FRACAS Transformers Titans Return Deluxe complete Hasbro 2016 230427A"
SCOURGE + FRACAS T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BLURR + HYPERFIRE Transformers Titans Return Deluxe complete Hasbro 2016 230427A"
BLURR + HYPERFIRE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Classics Universe Animated Legends 2008 230615A"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TREAD BOLT Transformers Universe Voyager complete + instructions 2008 230920A"
TREAD BOLT Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS UNIVERSE #3 Marvel Comics 1987 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 230926U"
TRANSFORMERS UNIVE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MOTORMASTER Transformers Combiner Wars Voyager complete Menasor 2015 230903A"
MOTORMASTER Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MEGATRON Transformers Classics Deluxe complete Hasbro 2006 230809A"
MEGATRON Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SKYWARP Transformers Combiner Wars Legends Class complete Hasbro 2015 230903A"
SKYWARP Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SERGEANT KUP + FLINTLOCK Transformers Titans Return Deluxe complete 2017 231208Y"
SERGEANT KUP + FLI ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS UNIVERSE #2 Marvel Comics 1987 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 230926S"
TRANSFORMERS UNIVE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SCOURGE Transformers Generations Deluxe complete Hasbro 2010 230903A"
SCOURGE Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SCOURGE + FRACAS Transformers Titans Return Deluxe complete Hasbro 2016 231208K"
SCOURGE + FRACAS T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "HOT ROD + FIREDRIVE Transformers Titans Return Deluxe complete 2016 231208F"
HOT ROD + FIREDRIV ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Trypticon WING (RIGHT SHOULDER) Transformers Titans Return part accs 230817F"
Trypticon WING (RI ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Megatron Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Fusion Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 11.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 12 Voyager Class Movie 1 Decepticon Brawl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Windblade and Scorchfire" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 8 Newman Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Six Shot and Decepticon Revolver" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Sergeant Kup and Flintlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight -- Knight Armor Turbo Changer Bumblebee" on AMAZON