This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW Hasbro Universe First Strike Thread

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Re: IDW Hasbro Universe First Strike Thread

Postby Randomhero » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:26 pm

This looks great
Randomhero
Gestalt
News Credits: 3

Postby ScottyP » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:56 am

Weapon: Battle Blades
First Strike 1 comes out next week, and when it hits the following things intended to lead up to it will still not have been released:

• Optimus Prime 10
  • Micronauts: Wrath of Karza 4 and 5
  • Rom 12, 13, and 14
  • Revolutionaries 7 and 8
  • GI Joe 8 and 9
  • M.A.S.K. 9 and 10

240 pages of lead-in material. 240.

:APPLAUSE:
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 637
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby o.supreme » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:30 am

Motto: "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"
^I've been concerned about this for some time. I was wondering why Revolutionaries was like 3 months behind, and now TAAO is a month behind, but with both of those ending, I guess it doesn't matter. I keep hearing this is Diamond Distributing's fault and not IDW...but now I'm not convinced.
Bucket/Want List: Botcon 2016 Customization Class Ratchet (G2 Deco), or Customization Class Ratchet (Marvel Comics Deco) **would also be willing to pay for an Unpainted Botcon 2016 Ratchet, TT Legends Fortress Head (only) with working Electronics

Wish List of Modern Combiners: Road Caesar, Monstructor & Dinoking (proper size to fiction), Landcross, Guard City, Battle Gaia, & G2 Defensor. Wish List of Titans:Metrotitan,Majin Zarak
o.supreme
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 55
Watch o.supreme on YouTube
Buy from o.supreme on eBay

Postby Kurona » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:30 am

Motto: "Don't forget to subscribe to the official Doctor Who youtube channel"
Weapon: Temperature Variant H20 Gun
It's the most frustrating thing. Crossovers and scheduling; the two things IDW can't do.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 191
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 2
Endurance: 1
Courage: 3
Firepower: 1
Skill: 2

Postby Big Grim » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:58 am

Weapon: Galaxial Rocket Launcher
ScottyP wrote:First Strike 1 comes out next week, and when it hits the following things intended to lead up to it will still not have been released:

• Optimus Prime 10
  • Micronauts: Wrath of Karza 4 and 5
  • Rom 12, 13, and 14
  • Revolutionaries 7 and 8
  • GI Joe 8 and 9
  • M.A.S.K. 9 and 10

240 pages of lead-in material. 240.

:APPLAUSE:

That's impressive! And horrifying!

Have IDW always been this bad at their scheduling. I know they have with their crossovers.
Last edited by Big Grim on Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Grim
Headmaster
News Credits: 148

Postby Kurona » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:18 am

I think so, but it only became particularly noticeable with such a huge influx of books taking place in the same universe. Before Revolution, they only really had two constant ongoings to keep a track of -- MTMTE and ex-RiD.

Beyond that you had that one Drift mini - which is very fluid in where it takes place; you can read it anytime between Ratchet's departure from the Lost Light and Dying of the Light - ; some books like Primacy which don't have any immediate connection to the cocurrent stories; the Dinobot stories which are their own self-contained thing so it doesn't matter all too much when they come out; and the Windblade books, which aside from actual crossover stuff, are also fairly fluid in where they take place and where you read them.

But now we've got all these books converging into a single point and which are supposed to have shared world events happening at the same time for them -- take for instance how much more involved the Council of Worlds have been with what Optimus is doing. We saw them in OP with references to Windblade being in some sense inactive and hence the Mistress of Flame having to take over for her; leaving a fair few of us who had been keeping up with both OP and TAAO very confused as to what was going on. The move from fluid continuity to solid continuity has done a fine job of exposing just how bad IDW is on the business side of things.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby ScottyP » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:49 pm

Fact: They don't have enough editors. This is the only actual reason they are behind like they are. Even then, most books are only a month behind, part of my earlier post embellishes a little - the original intention probably was that some of the finale books like Rev'aries 8, Rom 14, GI Joe 9, and MASK 10 were going to come out concurrently or just after First Strike started.

Another fact: These delays really started in earnest in December '16/January '17, and they never have gotten that month back. Some things have just slipped yet further.

My own speculation (not even a rumor, just me talking): I'm not sure they have a consistently available printer. But you know, a service company that prints comics, not literally an office printer. Just looking at some recent stuff I have Revolutionaries 6 and issue 2 of the Sourcebook that were printed in Korea, with Lost Light 8 having been printed in the US. I wouldn't have to go too deep into the pile of older stuff to find something printed in Canada.
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Interview with IDW First Strike Writers Mairghread Scott, David Rodriguez #HasbroFirstStrike

Postby Va'al » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:53 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Still operating on the lack of an embargo, we have a repeat of the full preview for IDW Publishing's Hasbro Universe First Strike comics crossover event - which we have seen before. What is new is the interview with writers Mairghread Scott and David Rodriguez, a brief one mind you, in the backmatter of the first issue of the Transformers meets GI Joe meets MASK meets Micronauts meets Rom the Spaceknight. Check it out below!

Can you give us a hint of any major surprises or revelations that readers can expect from First Strike?

MS: Well, Scarlett’s gonna throw down with the last person on Earth she wants to fight. Anyone who thinks Shazraella’s gonna spend this book clinging to some-one’s shoulder is sorely mistaken. Optimus is in for a rude awakening and Elita One is going to prove once again that there’s a reason she’s the same color as Cybertronian blood. Oh, and that’ll take us to the end of Issue 2.

DR: I’m not sure what we’re clear to say this early on. But I can say that this isn’t just an “event” series—the universe is going to be permanently changed in a meaningful way by the end of First Strike. Hopefully we can get some jaws and f-bombs to drop. When working with characters with such a long history, how do you raise the bar and bring readers something they haven’t seen before?

MS: The most challenging part was more tonal than anything else. Till All Are One is a very political book. G.I. Joe is very balls-to-the-wall crazy action. Micronauts is fast-paced with a lot of wry humor. M.A.S.K. and Rom take on a darker tone. We wanted to feel like all these books could live together and still give fans each book’s unique aspect.

DR: I think the best thing we can do for the readers, and luckily Mairghread and David Hedgecock have been a big advocate for this as well, is to make sure that we are engaging all the characters in this story with emotional stakes that resonate with our readers. Sure, we can put Cybertron at risk with a huge, summer blockbuster style event and visuals, but without that relatable, human backbone to the story, it feels hollow. We are going to do our best to deliver that experience to fans.

Are there any characters you’re going to work with in First Strike that you haven’t had the chance to write before? Any characters you’ve been away from for a while that you’re excited to write again?

MS: This is my first time writing Scarlett and I am psyched. I’ve been wanting to write her for years. And it’s always a thrill to write Optimus. It’s been surprising how fun all the Joes are to write, but the real stand-out right now is Shazraella. She’s such a stuck-up, overconfident, condescending...well, every line of dialogue she has is a joy.

DR: Scarlett has always been a favorite. I was glad that I got to use her in the M.A.S.K. Annual and she has a large part in First Strike. She is just a fantastic character to write. But part of the fun of First Strike is the opportunity to discover and expand on characters I wasn’t as familiar with growing up and exploring how they interact with each other. But don’t be surprised if you see Sunstreaker. He is, after all, the prettiest damn Transformer that ever rolled out.

And finally, if you could be a Transformer,who or what would you want the ability to transform into?

MS: JET! JET! JET! Wait—! Robot dragon! No, 1950s UFO! ...Did anyone call shark/bird yet?

This may take a while.

DR: Oh, I would totally want to be Shockwave. Not only is his design incredible, but he might be the most stone-cold, ghost-faced, unflappable character in the entire universe. I don’t know if you remember, but Megatron called him from Earth after 4 million years and Shockwave picked up on the FIRST RING. No hemming and hawing, or “Where the hell you been?!” He was just “Yes, Lord Megatron.” 4 million years and he didn’t blink. That’s just badass.

Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Prowl4 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:01 pm

Weapon: Ionic Blaster
Baffling how mairghread scott continues to get work. Awful writer.
Looking to swap a takara Titan class fortress maximus head for a Hasbro US retail Titan fortress maximus head.

Would alternatively buy a Hasbro US retail fortress maximus head on its own if anyone had one for sale.

PM me.
Prowl4
Banned
News Credits: 2
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10
Endurance: 7
Courage: 9
Firepower: 7
Skill: 8

Postby Va'al » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:27 pm

Prowl4 wrote:Baffling how mairghread scott continues to get work. Awful writer.

Sorry, Broseph. Must hurt, my proud-standing sugarloaf, to see her name remind you that you, my pal, are baffled to the point that you - o dudemeister - feel the need to comment everytime. Such a toll it must take, my dude.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Prowl4 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:29 pm

Va'al wrote:

Sorry, Broseph. Must hurt, my proud-standing sugarloaf, to see her name remind you that you, my pal, are baffled to the point that you - o dudemeister - feel the need to comment everytime. Such a toll it must take, my dude.

Cool story needs more dragonstorms and gick.
Looking to swap a takara Titan class fortress maximus head for a Hasbro US retail Titan fortress maximus head.

Would alternatively buy a Hasbro US retail fortress maximus head on its own if anyone had one for sale.

PM me.
Prowl4
Banned

Postby Va'al » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:33 pm

Prowl4 wrote:
Va'al wrote:

My pal! Using some Irish on the boards, stud? Yay for linguistic diversity, dudeicus!
Thank you once again, tiger, for some excellent contributions to the discussion.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Prowl4 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:39 pm

Va'al wrote:
Prowl4 wrote:
Va'al wrote:

My pal! Using some Irish on the boards, stud? Yay for linguistic diversity, dudeicus!
Thank you once again, tiger, for some excellent contributions to the discussion.

Thanks for being a fan of my cac. I know a fan when I see one and you're a fan ;)

PM me.
Prowl4
Banned

Postby Va'al » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:52 pm

Not a true fan - we have a thread for that.

Ain't comics swell! GI Joe on Cybertron, huh? What next? Transforming robots?!
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Nexus Knight » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:54 pm

Motto: ""I fight for the honor of those whom the Decepticons crush under their pathetic heel.""
Weapon: Star Saber Sword
Prowl4 wrote:
Va'al wrote:
Prowl4 wrote:
Va'al wrote:

Thanks for being a fan of my cac. I know a fan when I see one and you're a fan ;)

I feel like someone got drunk someone during this exchange... /:)

Also, I absolutely love Skywarp's tag. Priceless. Absolutely priceless.
Favorite quotes from The Transformers: The Movie-

"Ride in style!" Hot Rod (ever humble)

"Such heroic nonsense" Megatron

"I have better things to do tonight than die" Springer

"Till the day that all are one" Optimus Prime

"I belong to no one!" Megatron

"This is bad comedy" Galvatron (seeing Starscream's last bid for control)

"Ba wee gra na weep nini bong" Universal Greeting

"Till all are one" Rodimus Prime
Nexus Knight
Combiner
News Credits: 11
Alt Mode: Arsonist SnowCat and Stargazer
Strength: 9
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Courage: 7
Firepower: 5
Skill: 9

Postby Prowl4 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:57 pm

Va'al wrote:Not a true fan - we have a thread for that.

Ain't comics swell! GI Joe on Cybertron, huh? What next? Transforming robots?!

You're definitely a true fan. If this was ppv you'd be subscribed kid.

PM me.
Prowl4
Banned

Postby Prowl4 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:57 pm

Nexus Knight wrote:
Prowl4 wrote:
Va'al wrote:
Prowl4 wrote:
Va'al wrote:

I feel like someone got drunk someone during this exchange... /:)

Also, I absolutely love Skywarp's tag. Priceless. Absolutely priceless.

I love my fans.

PM me.
Prowl4
Banned

Postby Daniel Adkins » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:06 pm

Va'al wrote:Ain't comics swell! GI Joe on Cybertron, huh? What next? Transforming robots?!

You're right, Va'al! Comics are swell. I cannot wait to read First Strike. It looks really good.
Daniel Adkins
Fuzor
News Credits: 16
Watch Daniel Adkins on YouTube

Postby Daniel Adkins » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:37 am

In case anyone needs a refresher on the Hasbro Universe events/needs to catch up on a title you didn't read, Action and Adventure just released a special First Strike Primer podcast. Perfect for anyone curious about any titles they haven't read. http://hasbrouniverse.libsyn.com/bonus- ... -to-strike
Daniel Adkins
Fuzor

Review of IDW First Strike #1, featuring Transformers, GI Joe #HasbroFirstStrike

Postby Va'al » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:34 am

Strike One
(Spoiler free-ish)

Synopsis
The crossover of the year is here! Earth is finally ready to officially join the Cybertronian Council of Worlds and appoint their first representative to the Council. Too bad the ceremony is interrupted by a massive explosion and the forces of COBRA! Now it’s up to Scarlett, Optimus Prime, G.I. Joe and the Autobots to save two worlds!

Because it worked so well last time...

Story

It begins. For a long while now IDW Publishing and the comics media mill have been promoting the first full crossover (since Revolution, anyway) for the various Hasbro properties licensed to the comics world: this is where we start, with issue #1, by Mairghread Scott and David A. Rodriguez - which also contains an additional story - The Origins of Evil, Part One: Redcliffe Club, written by John Barber. I'll talk more about this below, in summary.

Tone set

The first thing to note is that, due to IDW scheduling issues, this beginning of a brave new world in the Hasbro Universe is actually spoiling at least one of the series that lead up to it (Revolutionaries, in case you were curious), and probably needs a little more context from both Optimus Prime and GI Joe to actually reach the starting point we're at.

...wait for it...

That is obviously no fault of the writers, and what they do offer in terms of plot is actually a satisfying approach to a crossover: easing in the various factions, with GI Joe and Transformers taking the first brunt, rather than crashing all of the properties at once. The villains of the piece are set up, and the coda story does some more to attempt round-off the major players on this side too, if briefly so.

note: this gag is excellent

The better part of the story though, and the only one that can be fairly judged this far, is most definitely how the various characters are built up and interact with each other - Skywarp and Scarlett's Joes are clearly the stand-outs here - something that a recent interview had probably clarified, at least for me. We'll have to see how the wider game is played, now that the initial set-up has begun.

Art

Max Dunbar is at the helm here for the issue - and I can't help but wonder why the art doesn't feel up to his usual standards. There's nothing horribly wrong, but something in the designs for the Transformers in particular, especially on profile shots, and every other odd panel just don't line up with his usually stellar work on Micronauts. Perhaps a tighter deadline for the big event?

Similar issues can be held up to Netho Diaz (pencils) and Walden Wong (inks), though I wonder whether having lines and inks applied to the main story, and leave the back-up to a single artist may in fact be a solution to the problem. Again, it's not bad, it's just not overly consistent, and I can it putting readers off.

..eep

In terms of colours, Ander Zarate - Dunbar's partner in crime on Micronauts - is doing well to bring some of the sheen of Till All Are One for Cybertron, but perhaps uses a little too much lighting on the faces of the characters, and Scarlett suffers the most in close-ups and wider shots alike.

Similarly for David Garcia Cruz on the Barber-coda, some of the colours used on the heavier lines makes jawlines and facial features a little too flat at times (Baron Ironblood in particular), something that seems to happen with these books with a regular frequency.

There are good moments too!

Veteran on robotic lettering Tom B. Long takes on this issue too, and the captions that some find irritating in other books are actually the best solution (and placement) in an event like this trying to attract new readers - and there's a pretty spiffy Kachoom to marvel at, too, before a BUDDABUDDABUDDA.

Covers? There are many. The one spotlighted in the thumbnail is the variant from Sara Pitre Durocher, showing the robot side of the event from a crowd perspective - as most of the other artists chose the character spotlights instead. You can view them all in our Comics Database, as usual, and choose your favourite.

Thoughts
Spoilerish ahead

Much like the case of Revolution, the visuals do not shine kindly on the artists involved, as all of the people working on here are usually a pleasure to see on the page. The pressure of the event, the scheduling issues, editorial shortstaffing - I am most definitely giving the benefit of the doubt to all involved for the first issue, but I can see this heading in a similar direction to the previous project, in terms of art, meaning that creators will feel much better when the five issues are over.

I'm also down with just a series of Skywarp/Roadblock's fashion commentary

As for the story, however, there are no real complaints from me so far. The issue is most definitely a GI Joe story set-up, that just happens to use the setting of Cybertron - and that is not a bad thing! Easing into a crossover is a much better plan than expected, and I am glad this approach was taken. I am definitely interested to see how the other franchises will be brought in, at this stage, and that's the best outcome that could've happened, really.

. :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: out of :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO: :HASBRO:
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Kurona » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:19 am

Better than I thought it'd be, which is a pleasant surprise.
Kurona
Matrix Keeper

Postby ScottyP » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:29 am

Does it seem super obvious to anyone else that Baron Ironblood isn't Colton, but Chameleon posing as him? It's the only way I can explain Spike being all "hurr-durr gotta help these Cybertronians" without discounting that as a failure in writing.
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby Daniel Adkins » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:30 am

ScottyP wrote:Does it seem super obvious to anyone else that Baron Ironblood isn't Colton, but Chameleon posing as him? It's the only way I can explain Spike being all "hurr-durr gotta help these Cybertronians" without discounting that as a failure in writing.

But Chameleon is a Joe.
Daniel Adkins
Fuzor

Postby Randomhero » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:43 am

ScottyP wrote:Does it seem super obvious to anyone else that Baron Ironblood isn't Colton, but Chameleon posing as him? It's the only way I can explain Spike being all "hurr-durr gotta help these Cybertronians" without discounting that as a failure in writing.

Someone didn't read issue zero that revealed Joe Colton is alive and is working with a cobra to be all xenophobic.

And yeah, Cameleon is a GI Joe and present in the comic.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby Randomhero » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:23 am

I like the issue. I'm just reading revoltionaries and the TF books but I followed it fine.
Randomhero
Gestalt

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #1 Cvr C Image Comics 2023 0823IM288 1C (CA) Johnson"
TRANSFORMERS #1 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #1 Cover B (1st Print) IDW Comics 2019 BOLD NEW ERA SIEGE 1B"
TRANSFORMERS #1 Co ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #36 Marvel Comics 1988 (W) Budiansky (CA) Springer 231222U"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers ROBOTS IN DISGUISE #9 Cvr A IDW Comics 2012 9A (CA)Griffith 220709A"
Transformers ROBOT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #24 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2020 AUG200535 24B (CA) Goux"
TRANSFORMERS #24 R ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS UNIVERSE #1 Marvel Comics 1986 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 230926R"
TRANSFORMERS UNIVE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #33 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2021 MAY210467 33RI (CA) Milne 230906A"
TRANSFORMERS #33 R ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers ENERGON #22 Dreamwave Comics DW 2004 (W) Furman (CA) Ng (A) Guidi"
Transformers ENERG ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #35 Cvr A IDW Comics 2021 JUL210493 35A (CA) Samu (W) Ruckley"
TRANSFORMERS #35 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS 3-D #2 Blackthorne Comics 1987 (A/CA) Francis (W) Lafrance 230915J"
TRANSFORMERS 3-D # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #7 1st ptg Marvel Comics 1985 (CA) Bright (W) Budiansky 230915V"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #16 Marvel Comics 1986 (CA) Trimpe (W) Kaminski 231010L"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #34 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 JUN210495 34B (CA) Margevich (W) Ruckley"
TRANSFORMERS #34 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers PRIME DIRECTIVE #1 Vol 1 G1 Autobots Dreamwave Comics 2002 (CA) Lee"
Transformers PRIME ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #346 - Gas Station Jamboree
Twincast / Podcast #346:
"Gas Station Jamboree"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 23rd, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Grotusque and Scorponok Deluxe Action Figure Exclusive Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Windblade and Scorchfire" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Cutthroat" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Blackwing" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Voyager Decepticon Nitro" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Skytread" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 8 Newman Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Decepticon Octone and Murk" on AMAZON