This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Wally Burr, Voice Director for The Transformers, G.I. Joe, Akira, more Passes Away at 93

There is more to Transformers than movies, cartoons, comics and toys. Discuss anything else Transformers here.

Wally Burr, Voice Director for The Transformers, G.I. Joe, Akira, more Passes Away at 93

Postby Bronzewolf » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:17 pm

Motto: ""What Would Sky Lynx Do?""
Weapon: Double-Barreled Solid Sonic Energy Blaster
Fellow Seibertronian xRotorstormx has alerted us to the sad fact that the well known voice director Wally Burr has passed away at the age of 93. He was known for his work on Akira, Jem, and, most notably, the 1980's Transformers TV series and it's follow up 1986 theatrical film, as well as many other classic pieces of media.

Wally was imperative in the 1970's-1980's Cartoon landscape, and his impact, while often underappreciated, will live on in the shows and films he worked on. Many of our favorite classic shows, including our beloved Transformers, would have been very different without Wally's influence and his signature perfection-driven direction. He will be truly missed, and the thoughts of Seibertron.com are with his friends and family.

----------
#Rodgate
#Braingate
#Domegate
:DAFT-PUNK-GM: :DAFT-PUNK-HAPPY:
Bronzewolf
Brainmaster
News Credits: 419
Alt Mode: 2016 Aston Martin Vanquish
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 5
Endurance: 7
Courage: 6
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Re: Wally Burr, Voice Director for The Transformers, G.I. Joe, Akira, more Passes Away at 93

Postby Deadput » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:30 pm

Motto: "Let's kick the tires and light the fires!"
Weapon: Fusion Blaster Cannon
R.I.P

The voice work was easily the best part of the G1 cartoon and we should be appreciative that for however strict he was on the job he made sure the results were quality.

God bless his soul.
Va'al wrote:
Deadput wrote:Actually I don't know my mother's name is Valerie so is Va'al actually my mother?

Yes. Now go to your room and don't play with yourself.

Deadput
Faction Commander
News Credits: 54
Alt Mode: A mec suit for redundancy.
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 9
Endurance: 3
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10
Skill: 5

Re: Wally Burr, Voice Director for The Transformers, G.I. Joe, Akira, more Passes Away at 93

Postby o.supreme » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:40 pm

Motto: "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"
Met him at BC in 2004, and was there when Maurice LeMarche made his apology at the RB panel at BC 2013, and Burr was unexpectedly there. Glad they buried that hatchet before he passed.
Bucket/Want List: Botcon 2016 Customization Class Ratchet (G2 Deco), or Customization Class Ratchet (Marvel Comics Deco) **would also be willing to pay for an Unpainted Botcon 2016 Ratchet, TT Legends Fortress Head (only) with working Electronics

Wish List of Modern Combiners: Road Caesar, Monstructor & Dinoking (proper size to fiction), Landcross, Guard City, Battle Gaia, & G2 Defensor. Wish List of Titans:Metrotitan,Majin Zarak
o.supreme
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 55
Watch o.supreme on YouTube
Buy from o.supreme on eBay

Postby Relic0037 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:01 pm

Motto: ""More than Meets the Eye, although my eyesight isn't what it used to be!""
Weapon: Slingshot
R.I.P. Wally! You had a hand in helping create some shows that were an important part of many of our childhoods.
Relic0037
Vehicon
News Credits: 4
Strength: 5
Speed: 4
Endurance: 9
Courage: 6
Firepower: 3
Skill: 8

Postby chuckdawg1999 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:01 pm

Motto: "The man, the myth, the legend... yeah right."
Weapon: Saber Blade
o.supreme wrote:Met him at BC in 2004, and was there when Maurice LeMarche made his apology at the RB panel at BC 2013, and Burr was unexpectedly there. Glad they buried that hatchet before he passed.

I'm not familiar with the story, what happened between the two?

This guy created the template that all the great cartoons of the 80's followed. He should be mentioned in the same hushed tones as the greats directors of Hollywood.
chuckdawg1999
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 317
Watch chuckdawg1999 on YouTube
Buy from chuckdawg1999 on eBay
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10
Skill: 10

Postby WreckerJack » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:31 pm

Motto: "The complain train is leaving the station."
Weapon: Arc-Welders
Sad to see him pass. A great thanks to him for his work.
WreckerJack
Godmaster
News Credits: 295
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 5
Endurance: 8

Postby Megatronformayor » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:05 pm

Motto: "New package same product losers."
Weapon: Dino-Missiles
R.I.P Wally Burr :-(
Megatronformayor
Micromaster
Strength: 10
Speed: 10
Skill: 10

Postby fenrir72 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:12 pm

Motto: "Power to the strong and the right!"
Weapon: Plasma Cannon
Without his guiding hand, the character we have grown to love would not have been memorable! G1/Wally Rulez!
fenrir72
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 60
Buy from fenrir72 on eBay
Alt Mode: Mobile Ground Fortress
Strength: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 10+
Firepower: 8

Postby Rated X » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:49 pm

Motto: ""Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.""
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
R.I.P. Wally Burr :BOWDOWN:

Me and my homie were lucky enough to hang out with him at the bar and have a drink at Botcon 2013. We asked him all kinda stuff it was like we had our own private pannel at the bar. I thought he was in his 70s. He looked great for his age. He was a really great guy.
Rated X
Banned
Strength: 5
Speed: 2
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+

Postby Sabrblade » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:46 pm

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
He gave me a complement at BotCon 2013. RIP. :-(
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 434
Speed: 7
Courage: 8

Postby Albatross250 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:37 am

Motto: "Operation: T E R M I N A T I O N"
Weapon: Heat-Seeking Incendiary Missiles
Till All Are One. :( :BOT: :CON:
R.I.P :-(
Still Playing Fall Of Cybertron, it's still a great sequel!
Albatross250
Transmetal Warrior
News Credits: 27
Alt Mode: Type 74 Main Battle Tank
Intelligence: 7
Endurance: 7
Skill: 7

Postby o.supreme » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:11 am

chuckdawg1999 wrote:I'm not familiar with the story, what happened between the two?

This guy created the template that all the great cartoons of the 80's followed. He should be mentioned in the same hushed tones as the greats directors of Hollywood.

I'm sure the exact words are documented somewhere, however the gist is that in conventions past numerous VA's had some less than respectful things to say about Wally Burr, not just LaMarche. At the time (1970's, 80's etc...) I'm sure Burr was a harsh boss to work for, because he demanded perfection, which is one of the reasons why shows like the original Transformers and GI Joe: A Real American Hero are still so beloved by fans. Some directors would just have the actors do their part as quick as possible and move on (you can imagine someone like Frank Welker probably recorded several shows in a day). But Burr is sighted as one of the reasons why Voice Actor sessions now cannot go beyond 4 hours, instead of the 8 hour maximum they used to be.

Because I'm merely human ;) , I don't want to overthink and wonder if the apology was genuine, or to placate fans and Wally Burr, but in either case it was the right thing to do, and glad it was done.

I've had a horrible boss or two in my life, but I don't feel the need to use an audience as a forum or social media to drag them through the mud.
Bucket/Want List: Botcon 2016 Customization Class Ratchet (G2 Deco), or Customization Class Ratchet (Marvel Comics Deco) **would also be willing to pay for an Unpainted Botcon 2016 Ratchet, TT Legends Fortress Head (only) with working Electronics

Wish List of Modern Combiners: Road Caesar, Monstructor & Dinoking (proper size to fiction), Landcross, Guard City, Battle Gaia, & G2 Defensor. Wish List of Titans:Metrotitan,Majin Zarak
o.supreme
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby triKlops » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:02 am

Motto: "New England TransFormers Collectors Group member"
RIP

Looking for:
- Fans Toys Scoria FT-04X silver upgrade feet for
MP-08X Grimlock
-TFCon 2011 Headrobots Toxin

Please DM if willing to sell for reasonable price.
triKlops
Godmaster
News Credits: 9

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:37 am

I'm trying to find his true birth year, but conflicting sources disagree on whether it's 1926 or 1924, and most of these sources are either Wikis or other editable-by-fans websites.

His own official website doesn't appear to have any info about his birth either.

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby o.supreme » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:44 am

Is IMDB editable?

6/2/24

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0123030/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Voice Chasers has the same info, at least to edit I think you have to register.

http://voicechasers.com/database/showac ... torid=1762
Last edited by o.supreme on Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

o.supreme
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Sabrblade » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:47 am

o.supreme wrote:Is IMDB editable?
Yes. Tis as reliable (or not) as Wikipedia.

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Return to Transformers General Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #2 Cvr A IDW Comics 2021 JAN210498 2A (A/CA) Burcham"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Fox Kids CHEETOR Transformers Beast Wars Deluxe complete Hasbro 1999 210923A"
Fox Kids CHEETOR T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "G2 MEGATRON Transformers Super7 Ultimates 7" action figure 2023 New"
G2 MEGATRON Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DETOUR Transformers G1 Micromasters Sports Car Patrol Hasbro 1989 220302A"
DETOUR Transformer ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIMAL Transformers Beast Wars Walmart vtg reissue Hasbro 2021 New"
OPTIMUS PRIMAL Tra ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #6 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2021 MAY210470 6RI (CA) Roche"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "HOOLIGAN Transformers G2 Cyberjets complete Hasbro 1995 240109H"
NEW!
HOOLIGAN Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MP-44S OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Masterpiece G1 Convoy Takara Tomy 2024 New"
NEW!
MP-44S OPTIMUS PRI ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #10 Cvr A IDW Comics 2021 SEP210478 10A (CA) Malkova"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "RATTRAP Transformers Beast Machines Mega Class complete Hasbro 2001 230615A"
RATTRAP Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #1 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 DEC200413 1B (CA) Schoening"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #11 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 OCT210410 11B (CA) Yurcaba"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers WAR WITHIN #2 G1 Dreamwave Comics 2002 (W) Furman (A/CA) Figueroa"
Transformers WAR W ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Beast Wars GATHERING #1 RI Cvr C 1:100 IDW Comics 2006 1RIC 210321A"
Transformers Beast ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #346 - Gas Station Jamboree
Twincast / Podcast #346:
"Gas Station Jamboree"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 23rd, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Battleslash" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Misfire and Aimless" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Nemesis Prime (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Energon Igniters Nitro Bumblebee Action Figure - Included Core Powers Driving Action - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 7-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Optimal Optimus" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Power Series Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Brawn" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Clobber" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Optimus Prime Voice Changer Helmet" on AMAZON