This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW Transformers: Unicron Mini-Series Thread

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Re: IDW Transformers Comics - Road to Unicron

Postby ZeroWolf » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:11 am

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Weapon: Battle Blades
Deadput wrote:
John Barber wrote: This is the end of the story we’ve been telling for over a decade. The IDW Transformers comics are the longest-lasting iteration Transformers characters ever—there’s more fiction in this universe than anywhere else in the history of the brand—and it all comes crashing down with Transformers: Unicron.

If this doesn't sound like an end I don't know what does.

Sounds a bit like hyperbole to be honest but it does help the reboot theories
Got news for Seibertron? Share it here!
ZeroWolf
News Admin
News Credits: 1350

Postby Galactic Prime » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:29 am

Deadput wrote:
John Barber wrote: This is the end of the story we’ve been telling for over a decade. The IDW Transformers comics are the longest-lasting iteration Transformers characters ever—there’s more fiction in this universe than anywhere else in the history of the brand—and it all comes crashing down with Transformers: Unicron.

Good, over a decade of crap. Thank god it's ending
Galactic Prime
Fuzor

Postby WreckerJack » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:49 pm

Motto: "The complain train is leaving the station."
Weapon: Arc-Welders
The IDW comics have had their ups and downs recently but I have enjoyed the vast majority of them.
WreckerJack
Godmaster
News Credits: 295
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 5
Endurance: 8
Courage: 7
Firepower: 7
Skill: 8

Postby Big Grim » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:23 am

Weapon: Galaxial Rocket Launcher
ZeroWolf wrote:Sounds a bit like hyperbole to be honest but it does help the reboot theories

I'll still hold out hope of a soft reboot or reset of the status quo. The last decade has been pretty damned good until they tried shoehorning everything in together. It could have worked but it all felt a bit rushed. Plus multiple events sucks. It's why I gave up on the big two.
Big Grim
Headmaster
News Credits: 148

Postby ScottyP » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:27 am

ZeroWolf wrote:
Deadput wrote:

Sounds a bit like hyperbole to be honest but it does help the reboot theories
The plan at one time, allegedly, was to not do any hard reset on TFs but to have a significant shake up and more or less "undo" the Hasbroverse. We'll see if that holds. Things can and do change, etc. More info at the end of https://www.seibertron.com/transformers ... ear/40827/
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 638
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:27 am

Motto: "Guilty or Innocent?
Always Guilty..."
Weapon: Particle Beam Cannon
Cherry-picked reboots are often self defeating, especially when it creates contradictions. Better to go full reboot and wipe the slate clean. That way we can look forward to what the next crop of writers and artist can bring to the table, unhindered by the past.
AllNewSuperRobot
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 6
Alt Mode: Special Beam Cannon
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: N/A
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10+
Firepower: ???
Skill: 9

Postby Ironhidensh » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:35 am

Motto: "Tell those damned kids to stay off my lawn!!!"
Weapon: Big Cannon
I'm too old to start over with a new continuity. Reboots, hard or soft, are why I no longer read any marvel or DC titles.

I just feel bummed by this whole thing.
Card carrying grumpy old man.

Leonardo wrote:Take your lips off my pipe!
Ironhidensh
Faction Commander
News Credits: 25
Buy from Ironhidensh on eBay
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 4
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10+

Postby ZeroWolf » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:37 am

While I remember, on rereading the "suggested reading list" that idw put out a week or so ago, it mentioned in the little bit for tf v visionaries that "unicron is summoned" now have I missed something? I know that he was shown at the end of first strike but has anything been mentioned since?
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:37 am

Always Guilty..."
Ironhidensh wrote:I'm too old to start over with a new continuity. Reboots, hard or soft, are why I no longer read any marvel or DC titles.

It's the nature of the beast with licensed properties. Indie/creator owned books are the only ones that get build on their own terms.
AllNewSuperRobot
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby ZeroWolf » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:52 am

AllNewSuperRobot wrote:
Ironhidensh wrote:I'm too old to start over with a new continuity. Reboots, hard or soft, are why I no longer read any marvel or DC titles.

It's the nature of the beast with licensed properties. Indie/creator owned books are the only ones that get build on their own terms.

True, though spawndid hit that reboot button as well (though I can't remember if it was just a soft reboot)

Wouldn't it be nice if they took inspiration from a series like gundam3and actually just made a new timeline up and kept what we had now but only added a couple of miniseries to it a year (or more depending on demand) this could free them up to make a new timelines up where they could get their creative freedom and if the universe was good it could stick around, if not then once it's finished you can forget about it. I know it's a bit confusing but I'm in a rush, but if planned properly you should be able to get things settled.
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby ScottyP » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:15 am

ZeroWolf wrote:While I remember, on rereading the "suggested reading list" that idw put out a week or so ago, it mentioned in the little bit for tf v visionaries that "unicron is summoned" now have I missed something? I know that he was shown at the end of first strike but has anything been mentioned since?
Nada. I'd guess that if Unicron does anything in TF vs Vis, it'll be in issue 5. Hopefully I'm wrong as that story has both 4 and 5 to go and is running out of plot.
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 638
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:53 am

Always Guilty..."
ZeroWolf wrote:True, though spawn did hit that reboot button as well (though I can't remember if it was just a soft reboot)

Wouldn't it be nice if they took inspiration from a series like gundam and actually just made a new timeline up and kept what we had now but only added a couple of miniseries to it a year (or more depending on demand) this could free them up to make a new timelines up where they could get their creative freedom and if the universe was good it could stick around, if not then once it's finished you can forget about it. I know it's a bit confusing but I'm in a rush, but if planned properly you should be able to get things settled.

However, Spawn is creator owned.

At the end of the day, we don't get a choice. If The Powers That Be were happy with maintaining the Status Quo in any way, there wouldn't be talk of a reboot or quotes like Barber's above. It's the end of the road, better to go out on a perceived high note than milked until it's a hollow shell of it's former glory ala RE-G1.
Given the bizarre and pandering rhetoric spouted in this era, as long as it isn't Transformers: Super Friends, I look forward to what comes next.
AllNewSuperRobot
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby ZeroWolf » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:31 am

Nah transformers super friends is just rescue bots ;-) (it isn't really but it was the closest to it in terms of target audience...if I remember correctly) also I know spawn is creator owned.. that's why I used that as an example.
ZeroWolf
News Admin

IDW Press Release - Transformers to Face Greatest Enemy Ever This Summer

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:16 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
Straight from IDW themselves, we have a new press release regarding the upcoming Unicron event for the IDW Transformers comics! The new press release does state that the Unicron event will be the end of the current IDW universe as we know it now, though what that means for the future of Transformers comics is uncertain, especially since we do know that Lost Light is set to run through December. The release also covers the fact that the event is being written by John Barber and drawn and colored by Alex Milne and Sebastian Cheng, respectively. Various Transformers artists from the past 12 years will also be providing other covers, including Andrew Griffith, Nick Roche, and many more.

Check it all out below, along with a new image of Unicron in robot mode!

The TRANSFORMERS Bots Face Their Greatest Enemy Ever In This Summer’s Event Series
TRANSFORMERS: UNICRON
The First Chapter Launches On Free Comic Book Day

SAN DIEGO, CA (March 24th, 2018) – The fate of all worlds are at stake, as the world-eating menace Unicron has set his sights on Cybertron, home of the TRANSFORMERS robots, and next in line… EARTH! A bi-weekly six issue event titled TRANSFORMERS: UNICRON arrives this July and will bring about the end of the TRANSFORMERS universe as we know it. As Optimus Prime gathers his defense against this monstrous threat, it might be too little too late.

Veteran TRANSFORMERS creators John Barber (Optimus Prime) and Alex Milne (More Than Meets The Eye) are joined by colorist Sebastian Cheng (Revolution) to tell the epic conclusion to the current TRANSFORMERS comic book universe.

“TRANSFORMERS: UNICRON is a culmination of the years of TRANSFORMERS comics I've been a part of... and the conclusion of one of the longest continued narrative in TRANSFORMERS history” said Barber. “This is a story of heroism in the face of impossible odds; of a reckoning for an entire universe. I couldn't be luckier than to have Alex [Milne] right here with me on this—if you know Alex, you know nobody puts more into the TRANSFORMERS than he does, and nowhere before has he drawn drama, action, and pathos at this scale. Tying it all together is the incredible palette of Sebastian Cheng. We've never held back before on our TRANSFORMERS comics, but this time we're pushing ourselves—and each other—harder than ever.”

TRANSFORMERS mainstays from the past 12 years will be providing variant covers for the series, including Andrew Griffith, Nick Roche, and many more. Additionally, legendary comic artist Bill Sienkiewicz will be reinterpreting his classic cover to TRANSFORMERS #1 as a special variant, along with a new cover by Francesco Francavilla.

“TRANSFORMERS: UNICRON is a grand finale to the past 12 years of TRANSFORMERS comics at IDW and to really celebrate that and to celebrate the people who have made it such an amazing ride, we’re getting some amazing, beloved artists to contribute to what I'm sure will be our biggest—literally—TRANSFORMERS story ever,” said David Mariotte, Associate Editor. “This is an event years in the making and one that only works because of the years fans and creators have invested in the comic.”

The action kicks off on Free Comic Book Day, May 5th, with the #0 issue by the series creative; available for free at comic shops across the country. Don’t miss the world-ending first chapter of the summer’s cataclysmic event!

About IDW
IDW Media Holdings, Inc. (OCTQX: IDWM) is a fully integrated media company, which includes publishing, games, entertainment, and the San Diego Comic Art Gallery.

IDW Publishing’s comic book and graphic novel catalog includes some of the world’s most popular entertainment brands, including Transformers, My Little Pony, Star Trek, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Ghostbusters, and Disney’s classic characters. At IDW’s core is its commitment to creator-owned comics including 30 Days of Night, Locke & Key, Wormwood, Ragnarök, V-Wars, and Archangel by bestselling sci-fi author William Gibson.

IDW Publishing is also home to the acclaimed and award-winning imprints; Top Shelf, The Library of American Comics, Yoe! Books, and Artist Editions, showcasing the greatest original art ever published in American comic books.

IDW Games’ diverse line-up includes the international phenomenon Machi Koro, as well as hit licensed games such as X-Files, Back to the Future, The Godfather, and TMNT.

IDW Entertainment serves as the worldwide distributor of Wynonna Earp airing on the Syfy Channel in the U.S. and is producing BBC America’s Dirk Gently, based on the bestseller by Douglas Adams starring Elijah Wood and Samuel Barnett.

I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Strength: 5
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Firepower: 8

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:17 pm

Always Guilty..."
The design is certainly... Busy
AllNewSuperRobot
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Randomhero » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:31 pm

Noooooooo.....don’t turn into a robot. It’s so much better if he was just a planet. :(
Randomhero
Gestalt
News Credits: 3

Postby KorsO » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:34 pm

Hyperventilating... :APPLAUSE: :BOWDOWN:

Am digging it so far. Hope this arc delivers.
KorsO
Mini-Con

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:38 pm

Always Guilty..."
Randomhero wrote:Noooooooo.....don’t turn into a robot. It’s so much better if he was just a planet. :(

True ;)

However, Unicron has always had the caveat that he has to transform (other then than title of the series). Because otherwise he is invincible.
AllNewSuperRobot
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby ZeroWolf » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:50 pm

...I want that design as a toy please...

@allnew Shadow Raiders! Loved that show back in the day, and the design for the enemies.
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:52 pm

Always Guilty..."
Beast Wars may be the best Transformers series in my eyes, but Shadow Raiders was the best series Mainframe ever did.
AllNewSuperRobot
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Randomhero » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:52 pm

The remains of Cybertron are in his right hand...if Primus is introduced than hes hiding out in earth.
Randomhero
Gestalt
News Credits: 3

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:02 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
I love that design. Alex Milne for the wi(lne)!!!
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Strength: 5
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Firepower: 8

Postby Ironhidensh » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:35 pm

Motto: "Tell those damned kids to stay off my lawn!!!"
Weapon: Big Cannon
R.i.p. IDWverse. :(
Card carrying grumpy old man.

Leonardo wrote:Take your lips off my pipe!
Ironhidensh
Faction Commander
News Credits: 25
Buy from Ironhidensh on eBay
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 4
Firepower: 10+

Postby ausbot » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:32 pm

Motto: "Don't want none, don't start none!"
Looks like Gaia Unicron from TF Prime.
ausbot
Pretender
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 10
Endurance: 5
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 5

Postby megamanfan » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:42 pm

AllNewSuperRobot wrote:The design is certainly... Busy

he is a planet, after all. i would be surprised (and disappointed) if he was simple.
megamanfan
Minibot
News Credits: 1

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #7 Cvr B Image Comics 2024 0124IM327 7B (CA) Bellegarde (W) Kirkman"
NEW!
VOID RIVALS #7 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero YO JOE #1 IDW Comics 2022 DEC210518 (CA) Maine"
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #4 Cvr A Image Comics 2024 4A GI JOE 0124IM247 (A/CA) Reilly (W) WIlliamson"
NEW!
DUKE #4 Cvr A Imag ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "COBRA COMMANDER #4 Cvr D 1:25 Image Comics 4D 0224IM258 (CA) Clarke"
NEW!
COBRA COMMANDER #4 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE SNAKE EYES DEADGAME #5 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 SEP200475 5B (A/CA) Liefeld"
GI JOE SNAKE EYES ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE SNAKE EYES DEADGAME #3 Cvr B IDW Comics 2020 JUL200573 3B (A/CA) Liefeld"
GI JOE SNAKE EYES ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE SNAKE EYES DEADGAME #1 2nd ptg IDW Comics 2020 JUN208405 (A/CA) Liefeld"
GI JOE SNAKE EYES ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #5 Cvr C 1:10 Image Comics 2023 0823IM478 5C (CA) Manhanini"
VOID RIVALS #5 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "COBRA COMMANDER #3 Cvr E 1:50 Image Comics 2024 3E 0124IM242 (CA) Kerschl"
NEW!
COBRA COMMANDER #3 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TALES OF GI JOE #10 Marvel Comics 1988 (A/CA) Vosburg (W) Hama 220721A"
TALES OF GI JOE #1 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #2 4th ptg Image Comics 2023 1023IM893 (CA) Torque (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #2 4th ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #2 2nd ptg Cvr B Baroness Image Comics 2024 GI JOE 0124IM890 (CA) Howard"
NEW!
DUKE #2 2nd ptg Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE #4 RI 1:10 virgin IDW Comics 2009 FEB094332 4RI (A/CA) Johnson (W) Dixon"
GI JOE #4 RI 1:10 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #2 Cvr B Image Comics 2023 APR238109 2B (CA) Robles (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #2 Cvr ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Bania Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Slug" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Computron Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Blackwing" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Moonracer" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titan Class Metroplex with Autobot Scamper Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Decepticon Octone and Murk" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Blitzwing and Decepticon Hazard" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Playskool Heroes Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Racing Trailer" on AMAZON