This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW Transformers: Unicron Mini-Series Thread

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Re: IDW Transformers Comics - Road to Unicron

Postby YoungPrime » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:11 pm

......I've been wondering if Unicron would have Minions/Heralds but this is not what I hoped for.

Even Shoehorning Shockwave in as the mastermind over everything felt lackluster. And I never liked BW's at all. So I'm not all that hyped about buying this book anymore..

But if they violently kill Pyra Magna, I'll buy that issue twice!
YoungPrime
Headmaster Jr

Postby galvatron00 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:34 pm

Motto: "Peace through sandwiches."
Weapon: Shoulder-Mounted Mega-Blast Missile Cannons
Robot sacrifice, cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria!!
galvatron00
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 15
Buy from galvatron00 on eBay
Alt Mode: Kings Hawaiian Food Truck
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Courage: 9
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10

Postby ZeroWolf » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:51 pm

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Weapon: Battle Blades
Flashwave wrote:
Randomhero wrote:
ZeroWolf wrote:So we're going to see prime fight primal...or will primal turn and fight alongside the good guys leading bw megs to be turned into bw galvatron in a bizarre mish mash of homages...

That aside thus doesn't add anything other than the page of fighting which we already knew was coming and that page summarising everything to this point.

@AllNewSuper what's made you drop it considering this is pretty much what we've seen in the other preview?

Man I have no idea what’s the deal with primal. I’m all about new interpretations of characters but having primal as a bad guy leaves some sour taste in my mouth. I’d like to see him switch sides but he’s been a follower of Onyx for 12 million years and is pretty much just a generic robot in ODW.
WELL, i doynt we'll get thr expose for ot, but maybe since Unicron ate Eukaris, Primal Died, Unicron enslaved the Body.

Primal isn't from Eukaris though, he was part of onyx's entourage. Good news is that he's just an extra in this with no personality, but still...
Got news for Seibertron? Share it here!
ZeroWolf
News Admin
News Credits: 1350

IDW Transformers: Unicron #1 Review

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:38 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
Not Gonna Die Tonight
A Seibertron.com somewhat Spoilerish Review of IDW Transformers: Unicorn Issue #1

The Darkest Hour has come. Optimus Prime stages a desperate gamble as the world-eater, Unicron, approaches Windblade’s homeworld—but that’s just the appetizer. The main course is Cybertron (with a side of Earth)... and it’s starting to look like no force in the galaxy can stop the end from coming.

Death surrounds
My heartbeat’s slowing down

Story

So here we are at last, the end of a dream, the end of 14 years of Transformers, the end of the longest running Transformers comic series in history. And here it goes out not with a bang nor a whimper. It goes out spectacularly and in glorious Big Screen Milne-D TV (that's a 2D 3D joke folks).

But we'll get to art later. First, let's focus in on the story shall we?

I won’t take this world’s abuse
I won’t give up, I refuse!

The story is sort of odd, but also pretty spectacular all in one. I will start with the odd: With the final Chapter of The Falling, over in IDW's Optimus Prime book, has not yet finished, meaning this book spoils some things but also sort of feels at odds, like you jumped into the action a bit too soon, like the first part of a 3 part finale from a TV show came before the 3rd to last episode. It may be a bit jarring, but that is hardly the book's fault.

Something that is also a bit strange is how this issue just feels like a slightly larger, more violent version of Unicron #0. Which I mean, that isn't necessarily a bad thing, considering the amount of action and Beast Wars cameos we get (though add a sin for only cameos at this point). But it also is a bit weird playing the script again. But at least (redacted as it is a spoiler, see the final thoughts)*.

The last thing I heard was you whispering goodbye
And then I heard you flat line

That all being said, we still get a great and fun story. Something you might not have seen coming, and shown pretty much front and center on the front of the page, is the comparison between Optimus Prime and Unicron. In many ways, these 2 characters are quite similar. And in this issue, we get plenty of Optimus, though we are still in the early days of Unicron, but that's OK! We are building up, as Unicron is building himself up, and I have to say, the 2nd half of the book had some pretty awesome things about Unicron.

All the character moments we get as well are incredible. Dirge, the Mistress, Soundwave and ROM, even Pyra Magna at the end. The characters are driving the story as much as the pictures and action on the page, and to that end, Barber once again delivers the goods.

We're gonna fight for us together

See final thoughts for 1 more story thing that is best left unsaid at this juncture.

Overall though, good story, slightly repetitive, but still freshened some, and ready to speed onward to the final 5 issues. And we even get a Furmanism!

Art

What would a comic be without art you might ask? It would be a book that's what. And while books are cool, comics drawn by Alex Milne and colored by Sebastian Cheng are even better. These 2 guys right here? They kill the book. They kill the book almost as well as Unicron killed the colonies and Wheeljack! (too soon?...)

They can’t keep their chains on me
When the truth has set me free

The art, as to be expected on a Milne book, is fantastic. Bold lines, insane attention to detail, not a wide shot or a background missed. And the work on Unicron is the 2nd half of the book is awesome, properly great, kinda like the Transformers version of Bosch's Visions of Hell (maybe a spoiler, depends if you've seen that). The whole book is filled with great detail, great character moments, both story and art wise, and some great backdrops, even if we are literally in space for half the issue.

The coloring really helps bring out all those details too. I envy not a person who has to color Milne art, but Cheng did an amazing job, stellar. All the detail Milne provided was intricately carved out in detail and wonderful colors. He made the fires burn bright and the darkness nearly consume the reader themselves.

When life pushes me I push harder
What doesn’t kill me makes me stronger

And the art would not be complete without our resident Letterer, Tom B. Long. Long still kills the varied speech patterns, and I love the colors and fonts chosen for Unicron. He also is one of the best at making sure you miss as little art as possible while catching your necessary speech bubbles.

For even more information, you can check out our Unicron database entry for this issue

Final Thoughts
Majorly spoilerish ahead

We’re gonna stand and fight forever

Ok, so as promised from the story section, the final 2 notes before we plunge on:

1) We are pretty much out of filler. Cybertron is next, and the action is going to only heat up from here. Both we and Unicron had the appetizers, it's time for the giant main course guys.

2) Starscream. oh man Starscream. It feels good to have him around for this final push of the storyline. And once again, it's just the way Milne draws him, but the Steve Blum just oozes all over the speech bubbles. This is the Starscream we've always needed in a comic, Transformers: Prime personified in a "G1" comic. It is brilliant.

With that, I wrap things up with this: This is the end, the great finale, the Unicron event that will end a universe, as Unicron's actually pretty rarely do. And the threat is large, it has power, it isn't showing weakness, it isn't showing any cliches, and it knows that only a few, if any, can truly have that happy ending. Heroes will fall, the action will heat up even more, the pace will pick up even more. The final enigma of the universe will be solved.

It is a great read, a part 2 if you will to the Free Unicron #0, one that provides a bit new, repeats some stuff, but still kills you with what it is intended to do. Great job here, let's keep shooting to the stars (so long as Unicron doesn't eat them).

:BH-PREDACON: :BH-PREDACON: :BH-PREDACON: :BH-PREDACON: out of :BH-PREDACON: :BH-PREDACON: :BH-PREDACON: :BH-PREDACON: :BH-PREDACON:

PS: in case you're interested, I felt this song was perfect for this issue. (Obviously)
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Strength: 5
Speed: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 8

Postby The Lonely Cracker » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:03 pm

Motto: "c*ntblast"
Weapon: Dual Bladed Sword
glad to know i'm not the only person that likes that song
The Lonely Cracker
Mini-Con
Alt Mode: idk a motorcycle of some kind
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10
Endurance: 5
Courage: 7
Firepower: 6
Skill: 10

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:09 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
D R E W wrote:glad to know i'm not the only person that likes that song

I'm really glad someone can appreciate the music/lyrics/references I tag into my reviews. It is a great some, and perfect for the issue itself. there is gonna be a high body count...
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby ZeroWolf » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:10 am

Not in a place where I can click on the link so what is that song? Good to know things are starting well in unicron. Good review dmax!
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby Va'al » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:51 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
ZeroWolf wrote:Not in a place where I can click on the link so what is that song? Good to know things are starting well in unicron. Good review dmax!

Skillet - Not Gonna Die!
Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby ZeroWolf » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:03 am

Thanks Va'al :-)
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:20 pm

Va'al wrote:
ZeroWolf wrote:Not in a place where I can click on the link so what is that song? Good to know things are starting well in unicron. Good review dmax!

Skillet - Not Gonna Die!

I kinda want to lay claim to the other 5 Unicron issues as well simply because I have a line of Skillet songs lined up for reviews, and I think most if not all line up greatly with Unicron!

As for other thoughts of mine on the issue other than those in the review, I know we haven't seen Dirge in a bit, but I was still sad to see him bite the dust.

Also, the scenes inside Unicron were fantastic. I love how he uses the inhabitants of the planets he's eaten as his immune system, all fused together and such. Maybe we'll see a part Wheeljack Antibody.

Also looking forward to learning more about Unicron.
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:24 am

Motto: "Guilty or Innocent?
Always Guilty..."
Weapon: Particle Beam Cannon
See, I don't have the context of the other books, nor do I know who some of these characters are. To me this was Average. The visual-only Beast Wars cameos are completely wasted. The Dirge scene was pointless, I thought he died around AHM?. As a principal BW fan, seeing Not-Rampage did nothing for me, as with the other wordless cameos. What did annoy me is much like the squandered potential of The Gathering/Ascending we have BW2 & Neo characters practically vomited over the page.

Alas, Unicron's Galactus-lite dialogue continues...

To be honest, as I've mentioned before since there is no herald this time, I think it would be much better to learn nothing more about Unicron. Without him suddenly breaking into out of character monologue, he should just do his thing and remain an enigma in at least one continuity.

Note: I will stick around for one more issue, as they didn't have Prime pull some God-Bot BS to turn the tide. Long may that continue. 2.5/5
AllNewSuperRobot
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 6
Alt Mode: Special Beam Cannon
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: N/A
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10+
Firepower: ???
Skill: 9

Postby ZeroWolf » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:18 am

If prime did anything to turn the tide, it will be in issue 6, I'm fully expecting earth to be the last colony standing
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:28 am

Always Guilty..."
Hopefully he is dead before then. IDWverse began by subverting TF lore after all. It would be nice if they give that a nod at the end of this continuity.
AllNewSuperRobot
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Va'al » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:48 am

Isn't it fun to have fun people contributing to a fun conversation.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:30 am

Always Guilty..."
Va'al wrote:Isn't it fun to have fun people contributing to a fun conversation.

Always. Likewise isn't it fun to occasionally remember that the Transformers is the story of an entire race, not just a Trukk >:oP
AllNewSuperRobot
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Va'al » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:39 am

Vaguely spoilery for people who haven't been following the comics in their chronological order up to now!

So, Unicron - in light of the recent happenings in Optimus Prime, and with another issue out this week exploring Shockwave's endgame in all this, a question:

- if Primes aren't actually real (they are, but not as everyone has seen them until now), but a creation of Shockwave's to support a narrative, but Unicron is, how do we reconcile the various mythologies at the core of the belief system in the IDW TF universe? How does the Guiding Hand fit into all of it?

and an addition:

- the Maximals, part of Liege Maximo's army, are not from Eukarys (which is now gone), but are still beastformers - how does that work?
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Re: IDW Transformers: Unicron Mini-Series Thread

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:43 am

Always Guilty..."
Those questions were part of my thinking also. By hamfisting the tired Primus/Unicron creation myth into this story, albeit in a couple of panels, it actually created plot holes that wouldn't have existed otherwise.
AllNewSuperRobot
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby ZeroWolf » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:14 am

I don't know about that...even taking away primus/unicron, unicron is tied to Cybertron still because otherwise, why the message? Theres still room to maneuver with these things, after all we still need to find out where Prime found out all that stuff from the first page.
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby Va'al » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:21 am

ZeroWolf wrote:I don't know about that...even taking away primus/unicron, unicron is tied to Cybertron still because otherwise, why the message? Theres still room to maneuver with these things, after all we still need to find out where Prime found out all that stuff from the first page.

I don't think it's ever really put down as myth though, is it? Just saying that Unicron vs Primus was a thing from the past, and - I speculate - probably mythologised upon a little.

As for the latter - we'll probably see more in OP ongoing, the scheduling for this is all outta whack.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby ZeroWolf » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:18 am

It's mind boggling that this schedule was okayed, I know for some it's the journey rather than the destination but it does ruin the revelations a bit.
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby Daniel Adkins » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:11 pm

AllNewSuperRobot wrote:See, I don't have the context of the other books, nor do I know who some of these characters are. To me this was Average. The visual-only Beast Wars cameos are completely wasted. The Dirge scene was pointless, I thought he died around AHM?. As a principal BW fan, seeing Not-Rampage did nothing for me, as with the other wordless cameos. What did annoy me is much like the squandered potential of The Gathering/Ascending we have BW2 & Neo characters practically vomited over the page.

Alas, Unicron's Galactus-lite dialogue continues...

To be honest, as I've mentioned before since there is no herald this time, I think it would be much better to learn nothing more about Unicron. Without him suddenly breaking into out of character monologue, he should just do his thing and remain an enigma in at least one continuity.

Note: I will stick around for one more issue, as they didn't have Prime pull some God-Bot BS to turn the tide. Long may that continue. 2.5/5

Well of course you aren’t going to care about the events of the finale if you didn’t actually read the stuff that came before. You don’t care about the deaths Mad-Eye Moody, Tonks and Lupin, Dobby, or Hedwig if you start reading Harry Potter at the Deathly Hallows.
Daniel Adkins
Fuzor
News Credits: 16
Watch Daniel Adkins on YouTube

Postby ScottyP » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:38 am

Va'al wrote:Vaguely spoilery for people who haven't been following the comics in their chronological order up to now!

So, Unicron - in light of the recent happenings in Optimus Prime, and with another issue out this week exploring Shockwave's endgame in all this, a question:

- if Primes aren't actually real (they are, but not as everyone has seen them until now), but a creation of Shockwave's to support a narrative, but Unicron is, how do we reconcile the various mythologies at the core of the belief system in the IDW TF universe? How does the Guiding Hand fit into all of it?

and an addition:

- the Maximals, part of Liege Maximo's army, are not from Eukarys (which is now gone), but are still beastformers - how does that work?
I used to have faith these questions would be answered, but now I'm not so sure. It's plausible the answer ends up entirely being "just because" as it relates to the Maximals.
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 638
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby ZeroWolf » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:35 am

I think it is going to be a strong case of "just because" for a lot of questions.
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby Va'al » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:16 am

Which I'm quite happy to be fine with - I don't need all the answers, I'm okay with that - just an extra question buzzing around my head.
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby ScottyP » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:39 am

Va'al wrote:Which I'm quite happy to be fine with - I don't need all the answers, I'm okay with that - just an extra question buzzing around my head.
I really do want to know how and why Galvatron cared enough about Onyx's "return" to reference it just before dying. I don't expect to find out.

But true, I don't really care about, say, what happened to the Predacons after Revolutionaries. "Destro sent them to live on a farm" is my accepted canon.
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 638
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Energon Volume 1 COMIC / PRODUCT CATALOG 2004 Optimus Prime Hasbro"
Transformers Energ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS vs TERMINATOR #4 Cvr A IDW Comics 2020 APR200726 4A (CA) Fullerton"
TRANSFORMERS vs TE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #18 Marvel Comics 1986 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 231222F"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #8 1st ptg Marvel Comics 1985 (CA) Bright (W) Budiansky 240317A"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #32 Marvel Comics 1987 (W) Budiansky (CA) Springer 231222M"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #17 Marvel Comics 1986 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 210422A"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #6 Cvr B Image Comics 2024 Skybound 0124IM320 6B (CA) Araújo"
NEW!
TRANSFORMERS #6 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #2 Cvr E 1:50 Image Comics 2023 APR238112 2E (CA) Lotay (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #2 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Spotlight SOUNDWAVE RI-A 1:10 IDW Comics 2007 (CA) Roche 231208S"
Transformers Spotl ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #1 Cvr D Image Comics 2023 0823IM289 1D (CA) Ottley"
TRANSFORMERS #1 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers REIGN STARSCREAM #2 Cvr A IDW Comics 2008 Movie Sequel 2A 210411B"
Transformers REIGN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers REIGN STARSCREAM #2 RI-B 1:25 IDW Comics 2008 Movie Sequel 2RIB"
Transformers REIGN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #33 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2021 MAY210467 33RI (CA) Milne 230906AB"
TRANSFORMERS #33 R ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers LAST BOT STANDING #2 Cvr D IDW Comics 2022 FEB228625 2D Stafford"
Transformers LAST ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Energon Igniters Nitro Bumblebee Action Figure - Included Core Powers Driving Action - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 7-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Quintus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Swoop" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Misfire and Aimless" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Optimus Prime Voice Changer Helmet" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Power Series Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Combiner Force Legion Autobot Twinferno" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Decepticon Octone and Murk" on AMAZON