This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Kerrang! Feature on Transformers: The Movie and Heavy Metal

There is more to Transformers than movies, cartoons, comics and toys. Discuss anything else Transformers here.

Kerrang! Feature on Transformers: The Movie and Heavy Metal

Postby Va'al » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:03 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
It's not often that we see the corollary sides to the Transformers fandom, such as those who appreciate usually understated elements of the media or the toys - like packaging art collectors or, as this piece is about, fans of the music that accompanies the media - though plenty is usually said for the creators of said supplements.

Courtesy of Mike Diver at Kerrang! magazine, we have a feature piece that goes through the 1986 Transformers: The Movie from its soundtrack, not only with the likes of Stan Bush, Lion and NRG, but also its context at the time, the bands that formed the galaxy around the names featured, and more! Take a look at a snippet below, read the full piece here, and join the conversation in the Energon Pub.

As a primary school-aged kid in the mid-1980s, music wasn’t massively on my radar what with the competition from cartoons on television, BMX-ing, video games and action toys.

But while Transformers on television recycled the same few tunes, the movie – for which producers Sunbow and Marvel (yes, that Marvel – for a while, Transformers and Spider-Man shared a universe) pushed the budget to many times the TV norm – recruited a number of North American metal bands to complement an original, synth-heavy score from Staying Alive composer Vince DiCola. And didn’t they make an impression.

The movie begins with a sequence of epic destruction. Somewhere out in the depths of space, a colossal, planet-sized robot (by the name of Unicron, a character that quite literally resurfaced in 2017’s Transformers: The Last Knight) devours another planet, and pretty much all of its (also robotic) population. Then comes the title sequence – but not with the theme tune we’ve become accustomed to, as cool as it was. Instead, Los Angeles rockers Lion come crashing in, and these young ears were immediately electrified.

Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Re: Kerrang! Feature on Transformers: The Movie and Heavy Metal

Postby Rodimus Knight » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:29 pm

I was a bit disappointed to see the guy dressed as 1st season spike until I saw the guy just wearing a unicron head. lol.. But they were good. I enjoyed listening. The Hot Rod and Arcee Costumes are pretty awesome.
Rodimus Knight
Pretender
News Credits: 2

Postby xRotorstormx » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:35 pm

Motto: ""Get into your enemy's mind. And then beat him at his own evil game.""
Had no idea Kerrang! was even still around ! ;)^ Nice read!

Met Doug Aldrich a few years ago in Vegas and talked with him about how Transformers introduced me to Lion and Bad Moon Rising (which included Kal Swan, who did vocals for Lion). He spoke very highly of Transformers and his time in Lion. Even got my Lion 45 signed. :)

Other musical notes: Hunger was also done by a band named King Kobra and ended up with a video for it on MTV. While House of Lords (a band in which Doug briefly played for) covered Stan Bush's Love Don't Lie.
xRotorstormx
Fuzor
News Credits: 138
Watch xRotorstormx on YouTube
Buy from xRotorstormx on eBay

Postby EunuchRon » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:06 pm

Motto: "That which does not kill us sure leaves a mark."
Weapon: Front-Mounted Anti-Matter Projector
Uh, no dude. Hunger was done by Spectre General. I'm lookin' at the soundtrack disk and that's what it says on the back.
EunuchRon
Minibot
Alt Mode: Planet-eating Gas Giant
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 1
Speed: 1
Endurance: 1
Courage: 1
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: ???

Postby Yankee0 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:10 pm

Just had a read, and that is a great article!

I love how TFTM made such a great choice in going for a heavier rock based, more mature score, there is not a misplaced song in that film and for me the music really enhances the overall awesomeness.

'The Touch' and 'Dare' are probably the two most enduring music related memories of my childhood, and (a smidgeon sad as it may be) to this day, 'The Touch' remains my all time favourite song and features on pretty much all of my playlists, from 'gym' through 'drown out annoying commuter noise' all the way to 'romantic candlelit dinner 3'.
Yankee0
Mini-Con

Postby WreckerJack » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:54 pm

Motto: "The complain train is leaving the station."
Weapon: Arc-Welders
EunuchRon wrote:Uh, no dude. Hunger was done by Spectre General. I'm lookin' at the soundtrack disk and that's what it says on the back.

Spectre General actually does not exist, it's actually a band called Kick Axe. Though the song was later covered by King Cobra. It's confusing so I'll just let wikipedia do the explaining.

It reached the Billboard Top 200, but disappointed longtime fans. Meanwhile, the group appeared on the Transformers: The Movie soundtrack under the name of Spectre General, the name change being due to legal complications. They recorded two songs under that name: "Hunger" (later covered by King Kobra in their 1985 album Ready To Strike) and "Nothin's Gonna Stand in Our Way" (a cover of a song by John Farnham from the film Savage Streets)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kick_Axe
WreckerJack
Godmaster
News Credits: 295
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 5
Endurance: 8
Courage: 7
Firepower: 7
Skill: 8

Postby EunuchRon » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:09 am

Motto: "That which does not kill us sure leaves a mark."
Weapon: Front-Mounted Anti-Matter Projector
That's kinda like saying Bent Brother don't exist 'cause it's really Twisted Sister usin' a different name. SpecGen still existed, but just for the 'Formers record then. Didn't know they had a different name normally though.

Talkin' bout tunes though, anyone else got the Transformed album by NRG?
EunuchRon
Minibot
Alt Mode: Planet-eating Gas Giant
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 1
Speed: 1
Endurance: 1
Courage: 1
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: ???

Postby xRotorstormx » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:45 am

Motto: ""Get into your enemy's mind. And then beat him at his own evil game.""
EunuchRon wrote:
Talkin' bout tunes though, anyone else got the Transformed album by NRG?

Yes, I've got two - picked them up at Botcon 2001 from Ernie (guitarist).

Yup, the name Spectre General was just used for the TF album because of legal reasons but the band really existed. Their album Vices is pretty good if you are into the hair metal genre. They still play shows around Canada every now and again. Think the last show I saw pop up but I wasn't able to make it to was last year or two years ago.

Here is the cover of Hunger that King Kobra did... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixEV13jggvY
xRotorstormx
Fuzor
News Credits: 138
Watch xRotorstormx on YouTube
Buy from xRotorstormx on eBay

Return to Transformers General Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero SERPENTOR UNCOILED One-Shot IDW Comics 2021 231113"
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #6 Cvr C 1:10 Image Comics 0923IM466 6C (CA) Ejikure (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #6 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #2 2nd ptg Cvr B Baroness Image Comics 2024 GI JOE 0124IM890 (CA) Howard"
NEW!
DUKE #2 2nd ptg Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #285 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2021 JUN210467 285RI Anderson"
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #5 2nd ptg Cvr A Bitterness Image Comics 2023 1023IM898 (CA) Howard"
VOID RIVALS #5 2nd ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #2 Cvr D 1:25 Image Comics 2024 2D GI JOE 1123IM275 (CA) ACO (W) Williamson"
DUKE #2 Cvr D 1:25 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #2 Cvr C 1:10 Image Comics 2023 APR238110 2C (CA) Lee (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #2 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #4 Cvr C 1:10 Image Comics 2024 4C GI JOE 0124IM249 (CA) Boss (W)Williamson"
NEW!
DUKE #4 Cvr C 1:10 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TALES OF GI JOE #4 Marvel Comics 1988 (CA) Hall (W) Hama (A) Trimpe 220721A"
NEW!
TALES OF GI JOE #4 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE ORDER OF BATTLE #1 Marvel Comics 1986 (CA) Trimpe (W) Hama 231208Y"
NEW!
GI JOE ORDER OF BA ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #4 Cvr C 1:10 Image Comics 2023 0723IM408 4C (CA) Park (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #4 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #4 Cvr D 1:25 Image Comics 2023 0723IM409 4D (CA) Darboe (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #4 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE ORDER OF BATTLE #3 Marvel Comics 1987 (CA) Trimpe (W) Hama 220721B"
NEW!
GI JOE ORDER OF BA ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "COBRA COMMANDER #1 2nd ptg Cvr A Image Comics 2024 1223IM855 (CA) Howard"
NEW!
COBRA COMMANDER #1 ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #346 - Gas Station Jamboree
Twincast / Podcast #346:
"Gas Station Jamboree"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 23rd, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Tailgate" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Cindersaur" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Novastar" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Repugnus, Dastard, and Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Sinnertwin" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Blackwing" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MV5 Turbo Changer Super Nova Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Mirage Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Grax and Skullsmasher" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Sky Lynx" on AMAZON