This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Top 5 Transformers Toys whose Hasbro version was better than Takara's

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Postby william-james88 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:52 pm

Motto: "'till All Are One"
Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are my opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

With the new trend for Takara and Hasbro to release the very same toys, I am looking back on the times in the past when the toys were quite different from one another. The reason the unified designs have alarmed several fans is because Takara has been known to have better paint applications and offer a better looking toy. Well, to show that it is not always the case and that Hasbro can definitely deliver on some good looking toys, I have written this list showing five instances where the Hasbro version was the one to get. Come back in two weeks for a list looking at the flip side!

5. Transformers Generations Wheeljack vs United Wheeljack

This is everyone's go to whipping boy and he certainly deserves to be here. For some reason, Takara decided from the mid 2000s to 2010 that their decos would be shinier than Hasbro's. While that worked wonders on some (I LOVE the use of chrome on the seekers for instance), it kind of played against them when fans wanted show accurate colours (like the Animated line). Their version of Generations Wheeljack is that backfire. Sure, more paint apps and a nice shine is great but it should compliment the mold and not take anything away. By going all sparkly the show accurate green became a more of the shiny pine green you would expect to see on toothpaste or breath mint packages. The toy is still fine but it just doesn't look like the Wheeljack we know anymore. You would expect Takara to be the more screen accurate deco and for such a beloved original character, it just doesn't resemble him as we'd expect, definitely not compared to Hasbro's version.

4. Transformers Generations Skrapnel
and Bombshell vs Transformers Adventures Shrapnel and Bombshell

This one is easy to explain. Yes, from a glance Takara might seem better due to more paint apps, especially on Shrapnel's antennas and Bombshell's legs. But then you look at the torso and notice a giant white sticker on there. It's for a mobile app in Japan. Hasbro did this as well on some toys, but only the ones related to the Robots in Disguise show/app, not toys that are supposed to be updates of toys of old like the insecticons. Sure, you could take that sticker off, but then you see the horror: to have the sticker applied, Takara had to remold the chest to give a circular indentation to hold the sticker. So yes, either you keep that sticker there or you are reminded that it is supposed to be there, every time you look at them.

3. Transformers Prime: Robots In Disguise Wheeljack vs Arms Micron Wheeljack

You know, if Takara had not given us the beauty that is Masterpiece Wheeljack, I would have thought they had it in for this guy. How else would you explain how they keep messing up this character's releases. First it was a sparkly minty fresh deco that didn't reference anything and strayed from show accuracy, and now its no paint at all. That's right, the company who we pair with the hope of better paint apps had a whole line where their toys had way less paint apps than Hasbro. Waaaaay less. It's not to say there was no colour. Instead of paint, the toys came with stickers, like old times (yay?). That means that the toys looked as good as your dexterity permitted. The stickers themselves didn't work as well as the paint apps anyway because it was very obvious what was paint and what was a sticker and the stickers had a metallic finish that clashed with the remaining paint apps and the coloured plastic. They looked far more like little kid toys that way. But that was the whole line, so why does Wheeljack get the blunt of it again? Well, the Takara's counterpart came with a little model kit that you would detach from sprues and connect to make a little transformer targetmaster companion. That too needed stickers (and they were very very small). And for vehicle mode interaction, they remolded Wheeljack's vehicle mode to have a bunch of protruding 5 mm holes across what would have been sexy smoother areas. So it looked like your wheeljack had been shot up a bunch.

Who are you and what did you do to Takara?

And let's say you don't want to put the stickers, well...

Here is the Hasbro version with no stickers needed

2. Transformers Voyager Animated Bulkhead vs Takara Animated Ironhide (Bulkhead)

While more paint apps are usually appreciated, it has to make some sense. Takara's voyager Bulkhead (who they call Ironhide) is covered in paint but looks NOTHING like he does in the show. Takara's fuller and shiny paint jobs were hit and miss on this line (Armorhide looks great, for instance) but none had it as bad as Bulkhead/Ironhide. He looks like an egyptian scarab.

1. Hasbro Transformers Masterpiece Starscream Gallery vs Takara Transformers Masterpiece MP-03 Starscream

This is such an easy number 1 pick and I doubt anyone would argue. Let me paint a picture of the situation all those years ago. Fans had finally gotten a Masterpiece Optimus Prime, who was incredible for the time. He was the most show accurate transformable Optimus back then and really looked like he just jumped off the screen. Then you had Ultra Magnus who was just a white prime repaint. He didn't hurt anybody since it was just a redeco of an incredible mold and it did reference a big part of the toy lore, where the Ultra Magnus toy is at the core a white Prime inside an armoured body. And then you had the second original Masterpiece mold and it was to be used for Starscream, one of the most iconic characters of the brand ever. And it looked like this:

Really, that is what Starscream looks like? What show did you watch?! I can give merit to wanting to make the most accurate jet made mode ever, where at least you could call the alt mode a masterpeice, but the colour scheme references nothing. It sure doesn't even resemble the actual colour of the jet it's based on (which ironically, is more in line with the grey traditionally seen on Starscream). So what is this?! Anyways, I will make it short. The mold was released by Hasbro, who gave it deco far closer to his look in the cartoon and the figure sold like hotcakes at Walmart (who had him exclusively). He sold so well that Walmart stocked up big time on the following seeker redeco (only to eventually sell it at a deep discount since they didn't realize that Starscream is a far more popular character).

Honourable mentons: MP Soundwave and MP 10 Optimus Prime

These are very subjective and not as obvious as the other above, and would never make this list, but still important to mention for you to see that Hasbro does have some solid offerings sometimes, even for the Masterpiece line. For Soundwave, what was really great about the Hasbro version wasn't the deco (he didn't have the show accurate eyes) but instead the fact that he came with all his cassettes (issued at the time) and they weren't sold separately, which was the case with Takara. It was a phenomenal deal when it came out. As for Optimus, while I prefer how Takara paints the inside of the trailer, I much prefer his sky blue eyes and the red on the chest of the Hasbro version. It was Hasbro who was more cartoon accurate, but then again, the Hasbro Roller was blue and not grey so it's a mishmash really and a toss up as to which version is preferred by people.
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

william-james88
News Staff
News Credits: 4469
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys who's Hasbro version was better than Takara's

Postby -Kanrabat- » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:24 pm

Motto: "Love it? GET IT!
It's that simple."
Weapon: Vibro-Axe
Did that shiny Animated Bulkhead I gave you all those years ago inspired you to make that list? ;)

Also, dat Arms Miron Wheeljack... This is a canvas ripe for some customisations and/or original painting!

Finally, I want that Takara MP "Greenscream"... But it's so, so expensive. The price it go for nowadays is a big fat "nope".
Come see my latest creation, a Galvatron Combiner using 4 SS86 Sweeps as limbs

Also, an update to my old ALL HELICOPER VICTORION!

-Kanrabat-
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 95
Watch -Kanrabat- on YouTube
Buy from -Kanrabat- on eBay
Strength: N/A
Intelligence: N/A
Speed: N/A
Endurance: N/A
Courage: N/A
Firepower: N/A
Skill: N/A

Postby shajaki » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:29 pm

Motto: "A man who wants nothing is invincible."
Love the category. I'm suffering from jellybrain though and can't come up with much besides some more recent examples:

shajaki
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 293
Buy from shajaki on eBay

Postby Deadput » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:18 pm

Motto: "Let's kick the tires and light the fires!"
Weapon: Fusion Blaster Cannon
shajaki wrote:Love the category. I'm suffering from jellybrain though and can't come up with much besides some more recent examples:

*Pics*

Uh I thought this was the "Hasbro Version's that were Better than Takara's" thread.
Va'al wrote:
Deadput wrote:Actually I don't know my mother's name is Valerie so is Va'al actually my mother?

Yes. Now go to your room and don't play with yourself.

Deadput
Faction Commander
News Credits: 54
Alt Mode: A mec suit for redundancy.
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 9
Endurance: 3
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10
Skill: 5

Postby Nemesis Destron » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:42 am

Motto: ""So you see evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb!""
Weapon: Dual-Sonic Disrupter Gun
Nice Thread WJ ;)^ ...I think with news of Takara's LG Seaspray he is a worthy mention. I think as far as the Insecticons go Kickback was the only exception. Takara's got it nailed with Shrapnel and Bombshell. That lame gimmick sticker got peeled N trashed and now they both got respectable :CON: symbols! :VEHI:
Nemesis Destron
Gestalt
News Credits: 2

Postby -Kanrabat- » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:33 am

Motto: "Love it? GET IT!
It's that simple."
Weapon: Vibro-Axe
Deadput wrote:
shajaki wrote:Love the category. I'm suffering from jellybrain though and can't come up with much besides some more recent examples:

*Pics*

Uh I thought this was the "Hasbro Version's that were Better than Takara's" thread.

"Jellybrain" indeed.

Still, the Takara copter is boring as hell while the Hasbro one Is definitely more interesting. The cups are no better from one or another. Just different. As for Blitzwing, I have no clue which is which. Still, with CW and TR, :HASBRO: went for TOY accuracy while :TAKARATOMY: went for SHOW accuracy. So, there is not any "better" here. It just boil down to personal preferences.

Best example is with CW Computron. They are so different from each others that many double dipped to make their own "perfect" version.

Come see my latest creation, a Galvatron Combiner using 4 SS86 Sweeps as limbs

Also, an update to my old ALL HELICOPER VICTORION!

-Kanrabat-
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 95
Watch -Kanrabat- on YouTube
Buy from -Kanrabat- on eBay
Strength: N/A
Speed: N/A
Endurance: N/A
Courage: N/A
Firepower: N/A
Skill: N/A

Postby megamanfan » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:41 am

how about an honorable mention for literally every purple guy ever. seriously, takara is obsessed with making them all that awful light- purple color instead of a deep, rich color.
megamanfan
Minibot
News Credits: 1

Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys whose Hasbro version was better than Takara's

Postby kurthy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:38 am

Motto: "Illumination through acceleration!"
Weapon: Metal Tearing Serrated Circular Blade
megamanfan wrote:how about an honorable mention for literally every purple guy ever. seriously, takara is obsessed with making them all that awful light- purple color instead of a deep, rich color.

I'm a fan of both purple's, so I'm happy with whichever one I get. :x
kurthy
Pretender
News Credits: 13
Alt Mode: John Deere 6M Series Tractor
Strength: 1
Endurance: 4
Firepower: 1
Skill: ???

Postby Relic0037 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:43 am

Motto: ""More than Meets the Eye, although my eyesight isn't what it used to be!""
Weapon: Slingshot
kurthy wrote:
megamanfan wrote:how about an honorable mention for literally every purple guy ever. seriously, takara is obsessed with making them all that awful light- purple color instead of a deep, rich color.

I'm a fan of both purple's, so I'm happy with whichever one I get. :x

I've always thought Hasbro uses too dark a purple & that lavender color Takara uses is a bit too light. Unfortunately, there was no third alternative to get Goldilocks' porridge just right with a shade somewhere in between.
Relic0037
Vehicon
News Credits: 4
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 4
Endurance: 9
Courage: 6
Firepower: 3
Skill: 8

Postby kurthy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:44 am

Motto: "Illumination through acceleration!"
Weapon: Metal Tearing Serrated Circular Blade
I'd throw in TR Hot Rod vs. Legends Hot Rod. The chest just doesn't work. The clear plastic is very fragile and none of it sits right or looks right. Plus it doesn't help the vehicle mode at all.

I'm surprised the stunticons didn't make the list after the distinct lack of paint everywhere to the point they looked awful.
kurthy
Pretender
News Credits: 13
Alt Mode: John Deere 6M Series Tractor
Strength: 1
Endurance: 4
Firepower: 1
Skill: ???

Postby Randomhero » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:45 am

Hasbro TR trypticon because it’s not $80 more like the legends one :lol:

If I had to throw my two cents in I’d say TR brainstorm or even the SDCC version. Cartoon accuracy or not that legends one just doesn’t jive with the mold.

And MP Soundwave. I know people like those red eyes but I certainly dont
Randomhero
Gestalt
News Credits: 3

Postby Randomhero » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:47 am

kurthy wrote:I'd throw in TR Hot Rod vs. Legends Hot Rod. The chest just doesn't work. The clear plastic is very fragile and none of it sits right or looks right. Plus it doesn't help the vehicle mode at all.

I'm surprised the stunticons didn't make the list after the distinct lack of paint everywhere to the point they looked awful.

I would have agreed with Hot Rod until I got him and the issues just disappeared. The chest isn’t bad in person at all.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby william-james88 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:17 am

kurthy wrote:I'd throw in TR Hot Rod vs. Legends Hot Rod. The chest just doesn't work. The clear plastic is very fragile and none of it sits right or looks right. Plus it doesn't help the vehicle mode at all.

The Hot Rods are quite different and each offer something to fans. Takara also comes with a targetmaster, which is important to some. I didnt feel one was outright superior.

As for the stunticons, there is the fact that the combined menasor comes with all the G1 members in a box set from Takara while the Hasbro version had that non G1 member at retail (with an online exclusive breakneck later). I do preffer some stunticons from Hasbro but Takara's motormaster is much nicer looking. In the end, it was a toss up and not something super obvious, unlike the others on the list.

Its just a different paint layout:

Also, remember that grey plastic on dead end which sticks out like a sore thumb on the Hasbro version?

Well Takara fixed that.

Takara's combined Menasor looks perfectly fine (and you got all the right members at once)

Also, Shajaki, I am not sure what you mean. Are you saying the Hasbro Kup is better than Takara's? Thats one of the only 3 Takara counterparts I bought (along with Black Convoy and Blurr) in that line. I do preffer Hasbro's Vortex for how awesome that toy homage is, but Taraka has the extra blades so its a toss up too.
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,

william-james88
News Staff

Postby shajaki » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:33 am

-Kanrabat- wrote:
Deadput wrote:

*Pics*
"Jellybrain" indeed.
Not at all.

Hasbro Vortex is more colorful, and UW's 4 bladed rotor gets in the way.
Blitzwing, Takara and their purples :roll:
And Takara's Kup suffers lots from the remolds, making the truck mode gappy. Hotrod is pretty much the same.
shajaki
Matrix Keeper
Buy from shajaki on eBay

Postby Randomhero » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:40 am

shajaki wrote:
-Kanrabat- wrote:
Deadput wrote:

*Pics*
"Jellybrain" indeed.
Not at all.

Hasbro Vortex is more colorful, and UW's 4 bladed rotor gets in the way.
Blitzwing, Takara and their purples :roll:
And Takara's Kup suffers lots from the remolds, making the truck mode gappy. Hotrod is pretty much the same.

Not really. Kup was made into kup and then Orion. The issue wasn’t mold degradation, it was more figure by figure basis. I own both versions of kup they’re both perfectly fine. The issue(that some had) was the outer pieces of his alt mode are flipped with people breaking the toy apart and literally sawing pieces off. Something that doesn’t actually hinder the figure at all but some feel it does while others found this out and just wanted him to look like he was suppose to even though they never noticed it till it was pointed out.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby Etseterrestrial » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:25 am

Hasbro's CW Dragstrip was definitely better than Takara's in my opinion. And I understand that Takara was going for show accuracy.
Etseterrestrial
Mini-Con

Postby shajaki » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:32 am

Randomhero wrote:Not really. Kup was made into kup and then Orion. The issue wasn’t mold degradation, it was more figure by figure basis. I own both versions of kup they’re both perfectly fine. The issue(that some had) was the outer pieces of his alt mode are flipped with people breaking the toy apart and literally sawing pieces off. Something that doesn’t actually hinder the figure at all but some feel it does while others found this out and just wanted him to look like he was suppose to even though they never noticed it till it was pointed out.
I actually have no idea what you're talking about. Takara Kup has rounded shoulders and forearms, and when transformed into truck mode, leaves gaps whereas Hasbro's Kup does not. His shoulders and forearms are blocky for a reason.
shajaki
Matrix Keeper
Buy from shajaki on eBay

Postby william-james88 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:36 am

shajaki wrote:
Randomhero wrote:Not really. Kup was made into kup and then Orion. The issue wasn’t mold degradation, it was more figure by figure basis. I own both versions of kup they’re both perfectly fine. The issue(that some had) was the outer pieces of his alt mode are flipped with people breaking the toy apart and literally sawing pieces off. Something that doesn’t actually hinder the figure at all but some feel it does while others found this out and just wanted him to look like he was suppose to even though they never noticed it till it was pointed out.
I actually have no idea what you're talking about. Takara Kup has rounded shoulders and forearms, and when transformed into truck mode, leaves gaps whereas Hasbro's Kup does not. His shoulders and forearms are blocky for a reason.

I 100% agree with the truck mode being worse than Hasbro's due to the remolding. But dont you find it ends up looking better in robot mode? What about the deco and headsculpt, which one do you find best between the two?

william-james88
News Staff

Postby Optimutt » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:07 pm

Motto: "Victory if nothing if you don't enjoy everything leading to it."
This is a great list! It's so true that when Hasbro and Takara do different takes on toys, Takara does usually hit it out of the park.

One other inclusion to this list could be United vs. Generations Scourge.

Though TT's is shinier, it's wholly unnecessary, and I personally find the consistent blue to be more appealing. I've had both versions, and kept my Hasbro version. Of course, I've also kept my transparent Spawn of Unicron 3-set, too, but that's a whole different boxx of scraplets.

CHUG THrust could also go on this list. I LOVE the subtle color differences of Hasbro's Thrust compared to the TT version.

"I couldn't put it down," Eliot Vohy about Escape from the Spotlight.

Updates on novels and publications: https://robwqueen.com/
Optimutt
Vehicon
News Credits: 11
Alt Mode: Jet

Postby Randomhero » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:15 pm

shajaki wrote:

I know I have both. What I’m talking about is months after kup was out someone online noticed that the planets on the side of his truck mode that cover the rear wheelwere reversed and it caused a bunch of complaining and expecting takara to fix it. They didn’t and people started breaking and cutting up their toys and claiming it was their OCD when in reality it was a bunch of adults complaining over nothing.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby bvzxa » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:19 pm

Motto: "Power flows to the one who knows how. Desire alone is not enough!!"
Weapon: Fusion Cannon
Optimutt wrote:This is a great list! It's so true that when Hasbro and Takara do different takes on toys, Takara does usually hit it out of the park.

One other inclusion to this list could be United vs. Generations Scourge.

Though TT's is shinier, it's wholly unnecessary, and I personally find the consistent blue to be more appealing. I've had both versions, and kept my Hasbro version. Of course, I've also kept my transparent Spawn of Unicron 3-set, too, but that's a whole different boxx of scraplets.

CHUG THrust could also go on this list. I LOVE the subtle color differences of Hasbro's Thrust compared to the TT version.

When it comes to the Seekers the United versions are probably the best of them all
For Transformer reviews go here
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxjhKsyGeEojzF_1gfC9yEg
For video games and transformers blog go here
http://greattransformersandvideogamesblog.blogspot.com/
bvzxa
Godmaster
Watch bvzxa on YouTube
Buy from bvzxa on eBay
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10
Skill: 10

Postby fenrir72 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:19 pm

Motto: "Power to the strong and the right!"
Weapon: Plasma Cannon
william-james88 wrote:Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are my opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

With the new trend for Takara and Hasbro to release the very same toys, I am looking back on the times in the past when the toys were quite different from one another. The reason the unified designs have alarmed several fans is because Takara has been known to have better paint applications and offer a better looking toy. Well, to show that it is not always the case and that Hasbro can definitely deliver on some good looking toys, I have written this list showing five instances where the Hasbro version was the one to get. Come back in two weeks for a list looking at the flip side!

5. Transformers Generations Wheeljack vs United Wheeljack

This is everyone's go to whipping boy and he certainly deserves to be here. For some reason, Takara decided from the mid 2000s to 2010 that their decos would be shinier than Hasbro's. While that worked wonders on some (I LOVE the use of chrome on the seekers for instance), it kind of played against them when fans wanted show accurate colours (like the Animated line). Their version of Generations Wheeljack is that backfire. Sure, more paint apps and a nice shine is great but it should compliment the mold and not take anything away. By going all sparkly the show accurate green became a more of the shiny pine green you would expect to see on toothpaste or breath mint packages. The toy is still fine but it just doesn't look like the Wheeljack we know anymore. You would expect Takara to be the more screen accurate deco and for such a beloved original character, it just doesn't resemble him as we'd expect, definitely not compared to Hasbro's version.

4. Transformers Generations Skrapnel
and Bombshell vs Transformers Adventures Shrapnel and Bombshell

This one is easy to explain. Yes, from a glance Takara might seem better due to more paint apps, especially on Shrapnel's antennas and Bombshell's legs. But then you look at the torso and notice a giant white sticker on there. It's for a mobile app in Japan. Hasbro did this as well on some toys, but only the ones related to the Robots in Disguise show/app, not toys that are supposed to be updates of toys of old like the insecticons. Sure, you could take that sticker off, but then you see the horror: to have the sticker applied, Takara had to remold the chest to give a circular indentation to hold the sticker. So yes, either you keep that sticker there or you are reminded that it is supposed to be there, every time you look at them.

3. Transformers Prime: Robots In Disguise Wheeljack vs Arms Micron Wheeljack

You know, if Takara had not given us the beauty that is Masterpiece Wheeljack, I would have thought they had it in for this guy. How else would you explain how they keep messing up this character's releases. First it was a sparkly minty fresh deco that didn't reference anything and strayed from show accuracy, and now its no paint at all. That's right, the company who we pair with the hope of better paint apps had a whole line where their toys had way less paint apps than Hasbro. Waaaaay less. It's not to say there was no colour. Instead of paint, the toys came with stickers, like old times (yay?). That means that the toys looked as good as your dexterity permitted. The stickers themselves didn't work as well as the paint apps anyway because it was very obvious what was paint and what was a sticker and the stickers had a metallic finish that clashed with the remaining paint apps and the coloured plastic. They looked far more like little kid toys that way. But that was the whole line, so why does Wheeljack get the blunt of it again? Well, the Takara's counterpart came with a little model kit that you would detach from sprues and connect to make a little transformer targetmaster companion. That too needed stickers (and they were very very small). And for vehicle mode interaction, they remolded Wheeljack's vehicle mode to have a bunch of protruding 5 mm holes across what would have been sexy smoother areas. So it looked like your wheeljack had been shot up a bunch.

Who are you and what did you do to Takara?

And let's say you don't want to put the stickers, well...

Here is the Hasbro version with no stickers needed

2. Transformers Voyager Animated Bulkhead vs Takara Animated Ironhide (Bulkhead)

While more paint apps are usually appreciated, it has to make some sense. Takara's voyager Bulkhead (who they call Ironhide) is covered in paint but looks NOTHING like he does in the show. Takara's fuller and shiny paint jobs were hit and miss on this line (Armorhide looks great, for instance) but none had it as bad as Bulkhead/Ironhide. He looks like an egyptian scarab.

1. Hasbro Transformers Masterpiece Starscream Gallery vs Takara Transformers Masterpiece MP-03 Starscream

This is such an easy number 1 pick and I doubt anyone would argue. Let me paint a picture of the situation all those years ago. Fans had finally gotten a Masterpiece Optimus Prime, who was incredible for the time. He was the most show accurate transformable Optimus back then and really looked like he just jumped off the screen. Then you had Ultra Magnus who was just a white prime repaint. He didn't hurt anybody since it was just a redeco of an incredible mold and it did reference a big part of the toy lore, where the Ultra Magnus toy is at the core a white Prime inside an armoured body. And then you had the second original Masterpiece mold and it was to be used for Starscream, one of the most iconic characters of the brand ever. And it looked like this:

Really, that is what Starscream looks like? What show did you watch?! I can give merit to wanting to make the most accurate jet made mode ever, where at least you could call the alt mode a masterpeice, but the colour scheme references nothing. It sure doesn't even resemble the actual colour of the jet it's based on (which ironically, is more in line with the grey traditionally seen on Starscream). So what is this?! Anyways, I will make it short. The mold was released by Hasbro, who gave it deco far closer to his look in the cartoon and the figure sold like hotcakes at Walmart (who had him exclusively). He sold so well that Walmart stocked up big time on the following seeker redeco (only to eventually sell it at a deep discount since they didn't realize that Starscream is a far more popular character).

Honourable mentons: MP Soundwave and MP 10 Optimus Prime

These are very subjective and not as obvious as the other above, and would never make this list, but still important to mention for you to see that Hasbro does have some solid offerings sometimes, even for the Masterpiece line. For Soundwave, what was really great about the Hasbro version wasn't the deco (he didn't have the show accurate eyes) but instead the fact that he came with all his cassettes (issued at the time) and they weren't sold separately, which was the case with Takara. It was a phenomenal deal when it came out. As for Optimus, while I prefer how Takara paints the inside of the trailer, I much prefer his sky blue eyes and the red on the chest of the Hasbro version. It was Hasbro who was more cartoon accurate, but then again, the Hasbro Roller was blue and not grey so it's a mishmash really and a toss up as to which version is preferred by people.

You forgot Powerglide. Agree that the remold for the decal is kind off an eyesore but the payback is a different plastic hue. The gray don't look dirty and the (color insert) look nicer. So a give and take. Also the Insectrons aside from the decals are anime accurate (except for not having weapons)

Also, during Energon, fatimus Prime had that ugly mouth but had those awesome SFXfeature. The JP version had a show accurate scheme but no SFX :( . Same with Landmine. It's always a mix bag but as the JP thrust is on aesthetics..............
fenrir72
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 60
Buy from fenrir72 on eBay
Alt Mode: Mobile Ground Fortress
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 10+
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

Postby Ultra Markus » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:23 pm

Motto: "“You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.” - Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight"
Weapon: 16 Cannons
and now that takara isnt doing the different stuff anymore and releasing the same product in the same line(POTP) as hasbro
i see a benefit in giving us more options to buy the same product but the drawback is no more special molds(Blastoff) or different articulation like with some figures (UW Devastator)
hopefully i'm wrong though
Ultra Markus
Gestalt
Alt Mode: the biggest baddest thing ever
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 10
Skill: 10

Postby william-james88 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:24 pm

bvzxa wrote:
When it comes to the Seekers the United versions are probably the best of them all

I agree. Though I dont think there are any bad seekers out there. I love my Henkei Henkei Thrust.

william-james88
News Staff

Postby TheForgottenTaxi » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:39 pm

I was gonna riot if Greenscream wasn't #1. Riot averted!
I have feelings about robots. They are mostly here. -> https://isgardtheterrible.wixsite.com/rankingrobots
TheForgottenTaxi
Micromaster

Next

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SPAWN #349 Cvr B Image Comics 2024 1023IM374 349B (W) McFarlane (CA) Colak"
SPAWN #349 Cvr B I ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #4 Cvr C 1:10 Image Comics 2024 4C GI JOE 0124IM249 (CA) Boss (W)Williamson"
NEW!
DUKE #4 Cvr C 1:10 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN SPAWN #1 Cvr A DC Image Comics 2022 OCT223268 1A (CA) Capullo"
BATMAN SPAWN #1 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GUNSLINGER SPAWN #24 Cvr C virgin Image Comics 2023 0723IM326 24C (CA) Ngu"
GUNSLINGER SPAWN # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #68 Cvr C Image Comics 2023 JUN230382 68C (CA) Hughes"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "COBRA COMMANDER #3 Cvr D 1:25 Image Comics 2024 3D 0124IM241 Petraites + Martin"
NEW!
COBRA COMMANDER #3 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #5 2nd ptg Cvr E Rage Image Comics 2023 1123IM812 (CA) Howard"
VOID RIVALS #5 2nd ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #6 3rd ptg Image Comics 2024 1023IM976 (CA) Howard (W) Kirkman"
NEW!
VOID RIVALS #6 3rd ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SCORCHED #8 Cvr B Image Comics 2022 MAY220262 8B (CA) Keane (W) Lewis"
SCORCHED #8 Cvr B ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN SPAWN #1 One Shot Cvr L 1:25 B&W DC Image Comics 2022 1L (CA) Fabok"
BATMAN SPAWN #1 On ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SPAWN #344 Cvr B Image Comics 2023 MAY230282 344B (W) McConville (CA) Toledano"
SPAWN #344 Cvr B I ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CROSSOVER #6 Cvr C Image Comics 2021 FEB219098 6C (W) Cates (CA) Larsen (A) Shaw"
CROSSOVER #6 Cvr C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "KING SPAWN #1 Cvr A Image Comics 2021 JUN210027 1A (CA) Lee 230124B"
KING SPAWN #1 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DEPARTMENT OF TRUTH #10 Cvr C Image Comics 2021 APR218120 10C (CA) Dialynas"
DEPARTMENT OF TRUT ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #346 - Gas Station Jamboree
Twincast / Podcast #346:
"Gas Station Jamboree"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 23rd, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Grotusque and Scorponok Deluxe Action Figure Exclusive Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Repugnus, Dastard, and Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Misfire and Aimless" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Novastar" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Bumblebee Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Alpha Bravo Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Skytread" on AMAZON
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations Titans Return Soundwave and Soundblaster" on AMAZON