This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Top 5 Transformers Toys whose Takara version was Better than Hasbro's

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Top 5 Transformers Toys whose Takara version was Better than Hasbro's

Postby william-james88 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:07 pm

Motto: "'till All Are One"
Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are my opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Top 5 Transformers Toys whose Takara version was better than Hasbro's

Last time, we checked the times when the Hasbro was better than the Takara version. Now, we will do the flip side, where we check the times Takara outdid Hasbro. Many fans often expect that to be the case, but with us now being in a new age of brand unification where the same toy gets released in both markets, it is a good time to look back at the times when it was really worth getting the Takara version over Hasbro's. I am well aware there are a lot of examples that can apply out there so I dug for some that, while probably not always overly obvious, really had a difference in the enjoyment of the toy and its inclusion in one's collection.

5. Transformers Legends Gelshark (Sky-Byte) vs Generations Sky-Byte

This is an extremely underrated toy which came and went with few caring. And that is a shame. Not only was this the representative of the Robots in Disguise 2001 / Car Robots line in the thrilling 30, he was also one hell of an update. He was still a shell former like his previous Beast Wars mold roots but unlike his original toy, the shell was very compact and made for elegant wings in robot mode which did not take any attention away from the robot mode. Also, and I can never stress this enough, Takara outdid themselves on the engineering of the chest. The original toy was a shark who transformed into a robot who had a shark-like face on his chest that was a different colour on each side (giving a hint to his states of mind). Of course, the real shark head was still somewhere on the toy (part of his massive shell) so the chest was more of a reference that he was a shark and not supposed to be the shark head. This update however had the shark head actually be the chest as well. No fake parts this time, reducing the shell considerably and making the robot far more sleek. There was even a nice panel flip on the shark's nose to give the chest new robot mode detail and to further look like the original cartoon model. As you recall, the whole theme of that chest is that it had a different colour on each side, showing how he was this unstable killer. So now that Hasbro has this opportunity of having the actual shark head be the chest how do they colour it? Just all light blue. Not even one of the shades that should be there. You might think that it is for it to work better as a shark head in shark mode, but no, that shade of blue isn't found anywhere else. Takara however jumped on the opportunity of this update to give him the split colour deco on his shark head so that when it transforms into robot mode, it gets the signature look. These same colours are also made to match the shark's body which make for a better looking shark mode. Takara has often outdone Hasbro in the deco area, just look at the entire Beast Wars Returns (Beast Machines in Japan) line. However, with Gelshark the improved deco goes a long way, longer than any other improved deco, turning a toy many dismissed into, what I consider, a must have. I am a huge fan of when the deco honours the wit of the engineering and this guy does that in spades.

4. Transformers Binaltech Override vs Alternators Windcharger

Right off the bat, I think the name is better in the Takara release. Windcharger was a minibot while Override was a sleek sports car. If the Binaltech line was about giving new classic version of G1 characters, Overdrive would suit it much better since they are all the same size and any hope of semblance of scale with Windcharger would be lost (if that even matters). More than that, just look at the head. The toy issued by both companies has a visor and that is totally Overdrive's deal more so than Windcharger (and you DO NOT want to see what a Windcharger head on this guy would look like).

I mean between this

and this

Which one would this guy be representing?

The name isn't even the biggest deal with the release, far from it. Hasbro's was made of molded plastic while Takara had a nice die cast body which was painted red. This was the case for all Binaltech (Takara) versions of the of Alternators line. You really felt you had your money's worth with these guys (when you forgot how you disliked transforming them). But that is not all, oh no, that is not all. What makes this release far ore noteworthy than the rest of the line though is the weapon. You see, licensing agreements are handled by each company separately in their home country. Honda Japan was totally cool with Overdrive having a nice long barreled gun but Honda America didnt like their brand associated to violent toys and Hasbro had to literally circumcise neuter the gun and turn it into a non violent scanner. Yay.

3. Transformers Henkei Megatron vs Classics Megatron

Another big difference between Takara/Japan and Hasbro/USA are the laws they have to deal with. Japan is not as severe when it comes to toy guns (G1 Megatron came from them afterall) but the states is a different matter. For Megatron to be a gun again, they had to give him a Super Soaker deco. Takara, on the other hand, gave him an appropriate deco for a character who finally had a semblance of his original alt mode back. He had two appropriate decos actually, one being silver (United) and the other having more orange highlights (Henkei) which I think works even better.

2. Transformers Unite Warriors Devastator vs Generations Combiner Wars Devastator

In most cases, the reason to get the Takara version over the Hasbro one (or vice versa) is if you prefer the differences in deco. With Devastator's case, the deco was a side note. Sure, there were a few differences here and there (with the Unite Warriors version being a bit more accurate to the cartoon) but the real deal here is that your Constructicons had improved articulation in their individual robot modes. They all had functional elbows for one and some had better knees, and they all had individual weapons. There are pegs and specific sculpting details found on the alt modes which are for the sole purpose of holding/storing the robot's weapon in that mode and what is saddening about the Hasbro version is that those details and holes are still there but you don't get the weapons. Along with the extra joints, this just adds to what Takara has confirmed that Hasbro's Devastator is a result of taking a Takara design and build and removing parts from it. There isn't just that, the combined robot has a new head which had an optional visor and ratchets on his shoulders. It's not so much that the Takara version is better than Hasbro but instead that it is THE toy Hasbro had signed on for initially. This is the Devastator we should all have had, while the deco would have been the main difference. Instead you get the actual Titan Devastator toy from Takara and a shadow of it from Hasbro.

1. Transformers Galaxy Force Cybertron Starscream vs Cybertron Starscream(s)

Yup, while a Starscream toy was the best time Hasbro had the upper hand over Takara, this character pops up again when we flip the conversation around. This case is practically a travesty all around and while at its core it's about the deco there is more to it. Looking at the mold alone, which is an excellent toy, Takara had him in perfect show accurate deco while the release of this Voyager Starscream toy by Hasbro was in a near random red colour. It was to the point where a fellow board member was talking about him to me and referring to him as Thrust since he truly believed that it was a redeco of Starscream into Thrust. Sadly, no it's not, that red thing is Starscream. Also, if you wanted him in the states, you could only get him in a two pack with Vector Prime who you probably already had, goody! So we established why the Takara release is the better one, but the reason behind the "failed attempt" for Hasbro to give fans this toy was because Hasbro was pushing another Starscream toy: Supreme Starscream, a toy which is all kinds of suck. It's just a giant Starscream which isn't even its own mold (even the craptacular Supreme Cheetor has that over him). It's just an upscaled version of the voyager, slightly retooled for the gimmicks. So all the fine details you would see on the voyager end up looking like broad strokes on the supreme class version. And while Starscream did become that big in the series, it wasn't for very long and much after this toy was released. There is a great air of disgust over this toy and a big part of it is the sacrifice of Hasbro never releasing a cartoon accurate version of the best Starscream figure of the Unicron Triogy, Cybertron Voyager Starscream, which is exactly what Takara provided.

Honourable mentions: There is a bunch of G1 stuff that was far superior when released in Japan by Takara than by Hasbro. However, I did not find it as fair since they were technically rereleases of the earlier toys from the Microchange and Diaclone lines and not specifically reworkings of a Hasbro version. Soundwave is a great example of a toy who's Japan release is awesome since it had firing missiles (something that was taken away from may Hasbro releases) as well as Headphones and a mic. However, this was all holdovers from the original release of the toy in the Microchange line which Hasbro changed for the Transformers. So it's more of a case of the Original pre Transformers version being better and not necessarily the Takara version of the Transformers toy. A very fine line, I admit, but I felt it would work better as an other list than to muddy this one.

Speaking of G1, Powermaster Prime was far superior in Japan, but since he wasn't the same character and release, I didn't really find it fair. The recent Legends line output from Takara has several deluxes coming with an extra Target Master while the Hasbro versions don't so they do offer you more, but at the same time you are paying an extra 10$ for that Target Master even before you add the import fees (plus you don't get the Hasbro weapons). So I don't know if paying more to get more counts as a fair comparison, they aren't even the same price points. However, this (and Legends Blurr from the thumbnail) all deserves mentioning, and that's why you find them here.
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

william-james88
News Staff
News Credits: 4501
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys whose Takara version was Better than Hasbro's

Postby Bounti76 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:42 am

Weapon: Vibro-Axe
I'm totally with you on Takara Devastator.I bit the bullet and got him and am SO glad I did. Just a better all around toy than the neutered Hasbro version.
Bounti76
News Staff
News Credits: 379
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 5
Endurance: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: 6
Skill: 8

Postby MaverickPrime » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:59 am

Motto: "Why do I even bother?"
Weapon: Metal-slashing Claw
I know the honorable mentions clarifies why Legends toys weren't included, but seriously, Legends Blurr crushes the Habro release so heavily that it's not even funny.
Also, Transmetal Megatron, sure, the deco difference might be just a darker shade, BUT his immunity to GPS is a HUGE plus.
MaverickPrime
Vehicon
News Credits: 26
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 9
Endurance: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7
Skill: 10

Postby Nathaniel Prime » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:27 am

Motto: "Scale is also like Starscream in the G1 movie in that it's bad comedy."
Weapon: Fusion Cannon
Great list Will! I agree with all your choices, especially Devastator, but call me crazy because I find Hasbro's Classics Megatron's Deco to be much more appealing IMO. I think I would have added in Takara's ROTF Buster Optimus Prime vs Hasbro's Leader version. Awesome figure, but Takara's deco and gas tank gun was definitely superior. A few suggestions for your next list could be Top 5 G1 Headmaster figures, Top 5 Headmaster figures post G1, and Top 5 best deluxe figures(since you did legends and scout class before). Keep up the good work! ;)^
One's red one's blue sometimes I want to ask god why he's played this cruel joke on us
Nathaniel Prime
Gestalt Team Leader
News Credits: 56
Alt Mode: Cybertronian Tank
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 9

Postby ZeroWolf » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:24 am

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Weapon: Battle Blades
Good list will though I never subscribed to Hasbro vs Takara (cartoon decos never meant anything to me) I was just grateful that both were producing tfs :-)
Got news for Seibertron? Share it here!
ZeroWolf
News Admin
News Credits: 1350

Postby notsoalex » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:22 am

Weapon: Dual Low-Radiation 1 Megaton Proton Bombs
In number 4, your point about Override looking bad with the Windcharger head, but Decepticharge's head was going to be used as Windcharger, and that doesn't look that bad does it? :-? Still, Override is better than Windcharger anyway.
Got some news! Contact us here!
notsoalex
News Staff
News Credits: 171
Watch notsoalex on YouTube
Alt Mode: A bad car
Strength: ???
Intelligence: ???
Speed: ???
Endurance: ???
Courage: ???
Firepower: ???

Postby Windsweeper » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:23 am

I completely agree with you about the Constructicons and Megatron.

I would also add Legends Blurr, Hardhead, Brainstorm, Skullcruncher, Weirdwolf and Mindwipe.

Wheelie and Bumblebee too.

Oh and I almost forgot CW Computron.
Windsweeper
Godmaster

Postby Emerje » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:33 am

Motto: "Spellcheck's antithesis."
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
william-james88 wrote:It's just a giant Starscream which isn't even its own mold (even the craptacular Supreme Cheetor has that over him). It's just an upscaled version of the voyager, slightly retooled for the gimmicks.

It isn't. Just looking at the comparisons you can see there are quite a few parts that are different like his entire cockpit, the light-up shoulders (not just the lights, but the shape), the different fold out weapons, and the inside would be different, too, just to fit the electronics. They look the same because they're based on the same source design, but this is a case where it would be cheaper for Hasbro to make a new figure than to so heavily alter the Voyager. There are no shared parts between the two, upscaled or otherwise.

I can understand why someone would confuse the the TRU Starscream for Thrust, especially when we would get a Dirge from the mold years later.

For me the United version of Classics Megatron is best. I prefer the less busy paint details and lack of chrome. Also the original Hasbro version was a Nerf gun, not a Super Soaker. ;)

Emerje
Emerje
News Staff
News Credits: 235
Alt Mode: Lobster Moose
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 4
Endurance: 8
Firepower: 3
Skill: 6

Postby gothsaurus » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:54 am

Good list and some real surprises too! I agree with Windsweeper just above that some of the legends line seemed like shoe ins... like Blurr. What a difference there. Also same with Computron. I think that one looks leaps and bounds better... tho I do admit I have the other and like Scrounge as a bonus quite a bit.

It’s been really nice having the option to choose toy or animation deco for the last years. I will truly miss the option...and miss having a box set Unite Warriors Abominus in animation colors to resemble “Call of the Primitives”

Oh. Idea for another list.... ‘modern’ figures you should stop transforming right now. (Due to gps or other fragility)
gothsaurus
Gestalt

Postby ZeroWolf » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:20 am

Hasbro transmetal megs and Hasbro silverbolt (the one who's part of magnaboss) should be on that list as both broke on me from the plastic just giving up
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby Relic0037 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:12 am

Motto: ""More than Meets the Eye, although my eyesight isn't what it used to be!""
Weapon: Slingshot
MaverickPrime wrote:I know the honorable mentions clarifies why Legends toys weren't included, but seriously, Legends Blurr crushes the Habro release so heavily that it's not even funny.

I think Blurr should still qualify. He doesn't come with an extra Targetmaster weapon (you had to buy another figure to get that). Unlike Kup who saw a better robot mode in his Takara release, which had some trade offs in the altmode, Blurr's overseas release was hands down the superior figure. The only reason I see for its omission from this list is that at some point something has to be left off before it becomes a top 10 or 20.
Relic0037
Vehicon
News Credits: 4
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Courage: 6

Postby Evil Eye » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:52 am

Motto: "Don't be a goddamn coward."
Weapon: Acid Spray Gun
I'd be tempted to stick Computron on there (aside from the hands and feet, which weren't exactly great on Hasbro Computron anyway, he's better in most every way) and of course Transmetal Megatron, whose Hasbro version comes apart at the waist if you breathe on him funny whilst his Japanese release doesn't.

That said, I 100% agree with this list. Especially Starscream- even though I seriously want that one 3P Starscream I kinda want the Voyager class original too. He just looks so cool! If he had bicep swivels I'd call him perfect for his pricepoint.
Ha ha Transformers go brrrrr
Evil Eye
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 12
Alt Mode: F-4 Phantom II
Firepower: 6

Postby william-james88 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:11 pm

Relic0037 wrote:
MaverickPrime wrote:I know the honorable mentions clarifies why Legends toys weren't included, but seriously, Legends Blurr crushes the Habro release so heavily that it's not even funny.

I think Blurr should still qualify. He doesn't come with an extra Targetmaster weapon (you had to buy another figure to get that). Unlike Kup who saw a better robot mode in his Takara release, which had some trade offs in the altmode, Blurr's overseas release was hands down the superior figure. The only reason I see for its omission from this list is that at some point something has to be left off before it becomes a top 10 or 20.

Yeah, exactly, but I felt he should still have a presence somewhere so I had him be the cover image :)

While the Takra deco is superior, I still feel people can enjoy the toy with the Hasbro version. He wont feel off looking in a collection since his deco is based on the toy and has some cool touches like the tampos to represent his G1 stickers. The Takara version is obviously superior (and is one of the the only 4 Legends counterparts to Titans Return I bought) but so are many others so I thought that he wasn't as important to include as others.

As for Computron, make no mistake guys, I am totally on your side and did buy the Takara version over the Hasbro one. But while I felt the Takara one was essential to me, simply because it has a different dedicated head sculpt, I wouldn't chastise anyone for settling for the Hasbro version. Unlike Devastator, its not like Hasbro hose to omit things, instead they went for a completely different take and gave fans bonuses that made it worthwhile, like the feet and Scrounge. So in the end while I feel one is better, I think both have something worthwhile to offer. I mean several fans did buy both, so that doesn't strike me as one being so much better than the other (considering everything you get with the toy).

Emerje wrote:
william-james88 wrote:It's just a giant Starscream which isn't even its own mold (even the craptacular Supreme Cheetor has that over him). It's just an upscaled version of the voyager, slightly retooled for the gimmicks.

It isn't. Just looking at the comparisons you can see there are quite a few parts that are different like his entire cockpit, the light-up shoulders (not just the lights, but the shape), the different fold out weapons, and the inside would be different, too, just to fit the electronics. They look the same because they're based on the same source design, but this is a case where it would be cheaper for Hasbro to make a new figure than to so heavily alter the Voyager. There are no shared parts between the two, upscaled or otherwise.

But then what about the dead cyberkey port in the back? Anyways, I got my info from Thew 8-)

If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,

william-james88
News Staff

Postby YoungPrime » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:55 pm

Emerje wrote:
For me the United version of Classics Megatron is best. I prefer the less busy paint details and lack of chrome. Also the original Hasbro version was a Nerf gun, not a Super Soaker. ;)

Emerje

Yeah, United Classics Megatron is still my go to Megatron for display (only because FOC Megatron is a deluxe).
YoungPrime
Headmaster Jr

Postby trence5 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:37 pm

Motto: "I GOT BETTER THINGS TO DO TONIGHT THAN DIE!"
Weapon: Photon Eliminator Rifle
MaverickPrime wrote:I know the honorable mentions clarifies why Legends toys weren't included, but seriously, Legends Blurr crushes the Habro release so heavily that it's not even funny....
Do I even need mention combiner wars Technobots/Computron versus Takara's unite warriors version? With Takara and the adult collectors, I'm starting to why Hasbro wanted brand unification.
trence5
Combiner
Endurance: 7
Courage: 6
Firepower: 7
Skill: 5

Postby Ultra Markus » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:35 pm

Motto: "“You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.” - Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight"
Weapon: 16 Cannons
which is why i bought the unite warriors devestator i think he should be #1
you add the perfect combiner parts and you have yourself a masterpiece ;)^
Ultra Markus
Gestalt
Alt Mode: the biggest baddest thing ever
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 10
Endurance: 10
Firepower: 10
Skill: 10

Postby kurthy » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:56 pm

Motto: "Illumination through acceleration!"
Weapon: Metal Tearing Serrated Circular Blade
I'm surprised the Henkei chromed seekers aren't mentioned. Just beautiful pieces. I'm not sure they would make my top 5, but I still need to think about it for awhile.

I'm really disappointed in the decision to leave out most of legends. I think you can consider the base figure for most of them without the perks like the triple changers. The deco on those blows the doors off Hasbro even if you don't consider the extra piece thrown in. Same thing with the headmasters. I get it for the targetmasters since they don't include the same pieces.

Did the unite warriors teams get left off for including different members even those all those members were eventually available from Hasbro?
kurthy
Pretender
News Credits: 13
Alt Mode: John Deere 6M Series Tractor
Strength: 1
Intelligence: N/A
Endurance: 4
Firepower: 1
Skill: ???

Postby Emerje » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:44 pm

Motto: "Spellcheck's antithesis."
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
william-james88 wrote:But then what about the dead cyberkey port in the back? Anyways, I got my info from Thew 8-)

Easy, it's key storage, there's a second slot underneath the port to accommodate the second key.

He had the slot on the cartoon so he had to have it on the figure, even if it doesn't trigger anything.

Emerje
Emerje
News Staff
News Credits: 235
Alt Mode: Lobster Moose
Intelligence: 7
Skill: 6

Postby cruizerdave » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:21 pm

The changes to Devestator made for the Japanese release made it worth owning! With the no elbows on Scrapper and no guns for anyone, it was clear Hasbro was cheating fans to save a few pennies on production!
cruizerdave
Fuzor

Postby Carnivius_Prime » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:38 am

Motto: "A cunning smile is more devastating than the fiercest weapon."
Weapon: Anti-Thermal Cannon
I bloody hate that Classics Megatron mold these days, no matter the colour scheme. Was fine when it came out but those silly wings and even sillier NERF Maverick gun mode just don't suit the character. I've still got Classics Prime as my go-to G1 Prime but I got rid of that Megatron ages ago and use the Titans version (with a head from a scaled down KO of CW Leader Megatron) as my G1 Megatron as he looks more imposing, more classic overall design and turns into actual vehicles rather than a non-working knock off of a foam dart shooting gun.

Really dislike that cybertron Starscream design too with it's super-kibbly arms and oddly large cockpit codpiece.

Only thing I really liked about the japanese version of G1 PM prime was the blue retractable hands on the trailer. That small addition made a nice difference. You can keep that awful Godbomber junk.

That paintscheme on Takara's Sky-Byte is very nice. I only owned the Hasbro toy for a week before deciding I didn't really care for it but yeah those are nice colours by Takara.

As many have said, including myself, Takara's Blurr makes Hasbro's look like a totally inferior figure in every way. :)
I have anxiety, depression and aspergers syndrome so my behaviour can be erratic. I don't mean offense to anyone. Just very picky about my Transformers collecting. You're all cool! :)

Likes: Bayverse, Marvel UK G1, Geoff Senior art, '86 movie (more for style/soundtrack rather than Star Wars plot)
Dislikes: Bumblebee movie (lousy rehashed dumb crud), TFA, G1 cartoon, IDW G1, BW/BM, MP. The entire concept of Autobot Megatron
Carnivius_Prime
City Commander
News Credits: 19

Postby william-james88 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:09 pm

Emerje wrote: Also the original Hasbro version was a Nerf gun, not a Super Soaker. ;)

I didnt say it was, only that its deco reminded me of a super soaker.

Like these:

kurthy wrote:I'm surprised the Henkei chromed seekers aren't mentioned. Just beautiful pieces. I'm not sure they would make my top 5, but I still need to think about it for awhile.

I'm really disappointed in the decision to leave out most of legends. I think you can consider the base figure for most of them without the perks like the triple changers. The deco on those blows the doors off Hasbro even if you don't consider the extra piece thrown in. Same thing with the headmasters. I get it for the targetmasters since they don't include the same pieces.

Did the unite warriors teams get left off for including different members even those all those members were eventually available from Hasbro?

I like those seekers, and got a few. And I do think they are better than the Hasbro counterparts. But then Hasbro made Jetfire and gave him the chrome and everyone said that was dumb and that Takara was better because it didnt have chrome. So I left all that alone.

As said in the article, the only Legends I purposefully left out were the recent ones with targetmasters since it goes beyond just the toy being different, but it being released differently. That goes for most of the Unite Warrior line in comparison to Combiner Wars. Both had very different release strategies. And you could opt to get all the G1 characters from Hasbro. So in the end, it wasnt really clear cut as to what was superior and with only 5 entries, I chose stuff that was obvious. Not saying there arent other obvious choices, there are, but I dont find Unite Warriors obviously better than Combiner Wars. Its just different.

As for the rest of the legends line, I did consider them, but I didnt really find it all that big a deal for the most part.

I mean, here are multiple examples, none of these make me ashamed of owning the Hasbro versions:

Transformers Legends Rattrap Gallery

Transformers Legends Brainstorm Gallery

Transformers Legends Galvatron Gallery

Transformers Legends Jetfire Gallery

Transformers Legends Hardhead Gallery

Transformers Legends Roadbuster Gallery

Transformers Legends Whirl Gallery

Transformers Legends Arcee Gallery

william-james88
News Staff

Postby ZeroWolf » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:18 am

Looking at those examples, I would have stuck with Hasbro, what Takara does is nice but to me they aren't objectively better as it's more the toys I care about not the paint covering it.
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby TheForgottenTaxi » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:07 am

I can't believe there's been no mention of what in my mind is one of the most egregious examples, and in fact the only time I was moved to pull out my wallet and pay for the Henkei release over the Classics release:

CHUG Dinobot vs. Henkei Dinobot.

The CHUG release had this inexplicably awful mustard and purple color scheme, that both wasn't accurate to the character and looked bad in its own right.

The Henkei release was a thing of beauty. (The mold isn't amazing or anything, but it was by far the best likeness of Dinobot to that point... and will keep that crown up to the MP release.)
I have feelings about robots. They are mostly here. -> https://isgardtheterrible.wixsite.com/rankingrobots
TheForgottenTaxi
Micromaster

Postby ExciKaiser » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:42 pm

william-james88 wrote:
Emerje wrote:

But then what about the dead cyberkey port in the back? Anyways, I got my info from Thew 8-)

I personally think the thruth is somewhere in between, because the takara version also sports strange details :
- The guns are not articulated, contrary to the Hasbro version, while it's a detail shown during all the show.(and this show was ridiculously toy-accurate for those who remember).
- There's a dead battery space inside, for electronics which seems to have been removed/cancelled.

My theory (which worth what you want it to worth) is the originally planned toy should have been a leader class one, same size as megatron, with electronics, articulated guns and cybekey port on the back.
At some point Hasbro and Takara disagreed on it, and Takara downsized it (I remember reading Takara saying that bad guys sell less than good guys in japan, that's why they downsized Energon Megatron too) while Hasbro wanted a bigger one. It would explain while both version have strange vestigial features. (ditched electronics and guns on Takara's, poor arm articulation because of the initial cyberkey design in the back, and dead port for Hasbro's).
Not english-native speaker. Thank you for being cool on my typos.
My Collection - Transformers Go Combiner Teams onboard !
Looking for the claw-shield-gun which comes with Magna convoy.
ExciKaiser
Combiner
News Credits: 1
Buy from ExciKaiser on eBay

Postby shajaki » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:30 pm

Motto: "A man who wants nothing is invincible."
After really digging in, I can't believe how amazing the Transformers United series was in retrospect :x

Anyways....
Both the Rods are vastly superior to Hasbro's.

The paint on United Soundy is so amazing, it almost looks like he's made of glass 8-}

United Kup, and more specifically e-Hobby United Kup, nails it.

United Tracks.
Just. Look.

The Asia United Seeker sets are simply outstanding, and the best versions out there.

While exclusive, Classics Prime has been done up as Black Convoy by both sides. And Tak's is more in tune with the overall BC traditions.

The Takara LG gals. Easy enough.

The first Headmasters in the LG line are seriously unbeatable 8-)

shajaki
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 293
Buy from shajaki on eBay

Next

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ROAD HAULER Transformers Legacy Velocitron Speedia 500 Voyager Hasbro 2022 New"
ROAD HAULER Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSMETAL II MEGATRON Transformers Legacy Evolution Leader Beast Wars New"
TRANSMETAL II MEGA ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CLOUDCOVER Transformers Legacy Evolution Voyager G2 Universe Hasbro 2023 New"
CLOUDCOVER Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Armada HOT SHOT Transformers Legacy Evolution Deluxe Class Hasbro 2023 New"
Armada HOT SHOT Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K28 GALVATRON fixed shoulders Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Leader 2021"
WFC-K28 GALVATRON ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WAR DAWN ERIAL + DION Transformers Legacy Evolution 2-Pack Hasbro 2023 New"
WAR DAWN ERIAL + D ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THUNDERTRON Transformers Legacy United Voyager Class Prime Hasbro 2024 New"
THUNDERTRON Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CLAMPDOWN Transformers Legacy Velocitron Speedia 500 Collection Deluxe 231208A"
CLAMPDOWN Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DETRITUS Transformers Legacy Evolution Deluxe Hasbro 2023 New"
DETRITUS Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BULKHEAD Transformers Legacy Voyager Class Prime Universe Hasbro 2022 New"
BULKHEAD Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Megatron Transformers Legacy Core Class G2 Universe Hasbro 2022 New"
Megatron Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K22 DRACODON Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Core Hasbro 2021 New"
NEW!
WFC-K22 DRACODON T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ANIMATED BUMBLEBEE Transformers Legacy United Deluxe Class Hasbro 2024 New"
ANIMATED BUMBLEBEE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SHOCKWAVE Transformers Legacy Core Class G1 Hasbro 2022 New"
SHOCKWAVE Transfor ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Megatron Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Fusion Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 11.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Swoop" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Twin Twist and Flameout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Computron Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series Number 14 Voyager Class Autobot Ironhide" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Terrorcon Hun-Gurrr" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Trailbreaker" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Voyager Inferno Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Huffer Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Ironhide Figure" on AMAZON