This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Transformers Masterpiece MP-43 Beast Wars Megatron Discussion Thread

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

More Reports of Broken Crotches on the $300 Masterpiece MP-43 Beast Wars Megatron Figure

Postby william-james88 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:57 pm

Motto: "'till All Are One"
We reported early on that there may be a problem with Transformers Masterpiece MP-43 Beast Wars Megatron in the pelvic area. A crack was reported, rendering him with a broken crotch and while it was just one report at a time, we have had more since proving that this is far from an isolated case.You can see the images below. For those wondering who you should contact if yours is broken as well, Takara's customer service is only for Japanese residents (and only in Japanese) so if you are outside Japan, it is best you contact the retailer who sold you the toy.

Some of the breaks are in the exact same spot, the side with the screws, meaning that some cracks may have been formed from the screws being cranked too much at the factory. It doesn't help that the plastic used for the pelvis is the swirly type, though it was thought/said that issues similar to gold plastic syndrome were long gone. Speaking of gold plastic syndrome, one of the fans who reported a broken crotch had this to say about his handling of the figure:

So I can regrettably confirm the breakage issue on his crotch. I noticed this morning that a crack has formed.

Due to the reports of breakage I was even holding my thumb against the crotch anytime I moved the legs to provide counter pressure when I was messing with him. And given that I didn't notice this last night despite watching for it, I'm honestly wondering if the crack didn't form just standing on my table in robot mode overnight.

I think the combination of the metallic swirl in the plastic and its relative thinness just makes it too fragile. And I say this as somebody who's exceedingly careful with his toys; I mean, cripes, I've had a G2 Electro that's survived for over 20 years.

Here is his image followed by the other cases:

Here is the images from the initial report:

If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

william-james88
News Staff
News Credits: 4498
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-43 Beast Wars Megatron Discussion Thread

Postby Wireless_Phantom » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:14 pm

Motto: ""There is no fate, no destiny, only your will.""
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
I swear, if THIS if the figure GPS returns in, so many people are going to be pissed
You can trust the man who speaks in purple
Wireless_Phantom
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 3
Watch Wireless_Phantom on YouTube
Alt Mode: White Transmetal Dragon
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10

Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-43 Beast Wars Megatron Discussion Thread

Postby Bumblevivisector » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:16 pm

Ouch, yeeeessss.

Has Hasbro or Takara ever come up with an improved replacement piece for a case like this? Or might this be a niche problem that only 3rd parties can potentially fix? Is it beyond the capabilities of Shapeways?

I just warped a perfectly good PotP Starscream trying to dye him into Skywarp, but I thought the name had simply invoked a curse; now it might be that today is simply cursed for TF breakage. Really wary of getting into BW MPs now.
Bumblevivisector
Godmaster
News Credits: 1
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Courage: 7
Firepower: 9
Skill: 6

Postby Jelze Bunnycat » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:20 pm

Motto: "The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance."
Wireless_Phantom wrote:I swear, if THIS if the figure GPS returns in, so many people are going to be pissed

I wouldn't think it's GPS per se as it's a place under constant stress from multiple places: the screws, the ratchets, whatever. Just a badly designed housing.
The resident Rewind... well, half of one :lol:

- Jelze Bunnycat =:3

Looking for:
- TR Furos (Hardhead's head) and Crashbash (lost him :()
- PotP Punch head
- TR Galvatron right arm (the gun one)
- CW Brake-Neck/UW Wildrider, CW Offroad
- TR Twinferno & Grotusque
- Greenlight, Lancer and PotP Elita-1 (plus repro Victorion hands and feet?)
Jelze Bunnycat
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 241
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Courage: 8
Skill: 5

Postby megamanfan » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:28 pm

maaaaaan... i'm kinda glad i didn't get him now, but this still sucks. there'll probably be some 3rd party guys making replacements now in addition to an upgrade kit.
megamanfan
Minibot
News Credits: 1

Postby SpikeyTigertron » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:09 pm

Isn’t he also being sold by Hasbro? Has anyone fired a shot over Hasbro/Pulse’s bow yet?
SpikeyTigertron
Gestalt Team Leader
News Credits: 2

Postby Emerje » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:15 pm

Motto: "Spellcheck's antithesis."
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
I just can't understand why they used swirly plastic on this figure in the first place. The chest is the same shade of purple and just as shiny without the swirls, why wouldn't they use that in both places?

Wait and see if Takara Tomy addresses this and hope they do an exchange and not just a refund with no fix or replacement like they did Encore God Fire Convoy.

Emerje
Emerje
News Staff
News Credits: 235
Alt Mode: Lobster Moose
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 4
Endurance: 8
Courage: 10
Firepower: 3
Skill: 6

Postby TFanPage101 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:16 pm

Motto: "Sup?"
Weapon: Battle Blades
Anyone know if this directly effects the function of the toy? If the leg falls out, if its too loose?
TFanPage101
Micromaster
News Credits: 18
Watch TFanPage101 on YouTube
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 10
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 9

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:19 am

Motto: "Guilty or Innocent?
Always Guilty..."
Weapon: Particle Beam Cannon
I previously wrote:Some BW molds already have their limits.. Cheetor has one more variant that is perhaps too unlikely to actually happen, in Nightprowler...

...Rhinox is a one and done

Technically there is another option open to both of these molds I'd forgotten about until glancing through the Sourcebook. Requiring only a minor retool and redeco for each...

Image Image

Granted they were mere super-basic McDonalds toys and given I don't recall McDonalds doing anything Beast Wars related in the UK, not widespread releases. But an additional mold variant does exist, for each.
AllNewSuperRobot
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 6
Alt Mode: Special Beam Cannon
Strength: 8
Speed: N/A
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10+
Firepower: ???

Postby TFmonkeybiz » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:09 am

I didn't think Megs was quite old enough to start experiencing issues with his crotch, I mean it only usually happens in older men...
TFmonkeybiz
Mini-Con

Postby DedicatedGhostArt » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:19 am

Motto: "i know kung fu. -Keanu Reeves"
Frick Masterpiece. You want complexity, durability, very decent quality, and good price? Siege or Studio Series. Skip over this ****. *hugs my new Studio Series 38 BB movie Optimus Prime*
DedicatedGhostArt
Guardian Of Seibertron
Intelligence: 6
Firepower: 1
Skill: 8

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:24 am

Always Guilty..."
Obviously a big deal is being made of these breakages due to the price tag, but before we all start hysterically table flipping on this figure, what percentages are we talking about?

1 in 10? in 100? in 10,000?

That's the detail that matters more so than any handful of pics or reports from isolated individuals: context and perspective.
AllNewSuperRobot
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby AwesomenessPrime » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:42 am

I don't think it matters how isolated it is, it is a reoccurring issue, and a serious one for a collector, not just a stress mark. Imo, for that price point, Takara should have no problem taking action. And I'll be very disappointed in the company if they ignore it. It's not as if these people purchased a $300 figure to break it.
AwesomenessPrime
Mini-Con

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:49 am

Always Guilty..."
Nothing mass produced is 100% perfect all of the time, whatever the price. From a Space Shuttle to a house to a drinks can. So yes, perspective does matter. Mine is flawless and I'm sure I'm not a minority in that respect.
AllNewSuperRobot
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby DedicatedGhostArt » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:17 am

Motto: "i know kung fu. -Keanu Reeves"
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:Nothing mass produced is 100% perfect all of the time, whatever the price. From a Space Shuttle to a house to a drinks can. So yes, perspective does matter. Mine is flawless and I'm sure I'm not a minority in that respect.

The problem with MP is they're more concerned about "perceived quality" over durability. In the end they use plastics and stuff in areas sometimes that break much easier than what's on regular brick-and-mortar figures just for the sake of feeling "weighty" and looking "shiny". Just because yours didn't break doesn't mean it isn't an issue. We have the same amount or more breakage reports (at least in ratio) for MP figures than we do for brick and mortar regular retail figures in recent time, and MP are much less sought after by the general public, like it or not. And, honestly, with as amazingly improved general retail figures are, I feel MP has sort of lost its fire in comparison. Too much for too little, and too much for too much worry. Studio Series, to me it's pretty much how Masterpiece should be.
DedicatedGhostArt
Guardian Of Seibertron
Firepower: 1
Skill: 8

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:27 am

Always Guilty..."
UnderYourCloset wrote:The problem with MP is they're more concerned about "perceived quality" over durability. In the end they use plastics and stuff in areas sometimes that break much easier than what's on regular brick-and-mortar figures just for the sake of feeling "weighty" and looking "shiny". Just because yours didn't break doesn't mean it isn't an issue. We have the same amount or more breakage reports (at least in ratio) for MP figures than we do for brick and mortar regular retail figures in recent time, and MP are much less sought after by the general public, like it or not. And, honestly, with as amazingly improved general retail figures are, I feel MP has sort of lost its fire in comparison. Too much for too little, and too much for too much worry. Studio Series, to me it's pretty much how Masterpiece should be.

I didn't say it wasn't an issue, I just said that until we know actual numbers relative to that of the production line, the ratio you note yourself, writing off potential damage alone, as a deal breaker is alarmist and overreacting.

As I've noted before with The Masterpiece collection. They are collectors pieces, practically display statues, they are not toys. If you had a £500 MCU Iron Man statue you wouldn't decry it's durability after handing it to a 3y/o to play with, because that isn't what it is for. To compare this line to the lesser TF lines, in that respect, is utterly disingenuous. It is apples and oranges, after all.
AllNewSuperRobot
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Acolyte » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:09 am

For everyone saying we need to keep perspective, here's some:

I own 10 masterpiece figures in hand (soon will own 14, but I'm dreading what will come of this figure). 4 of those arrived to me with significant factory defects. The boxes were flawless, undamaged, shipped with exquisite care. The insides showed no signs of tension or rubbing or cramping or anything. And yet the figures right out of their little plastic divot had issues ranging from heavy scrapes/ruined paint to cracks (in places where pieces were anchored, which seems to scream manufacturing tolerance issue) to stressed plastic and paint overspray to outright bent die cast that prevented an entire transformation. That's a 60% success rate in masterpiece from one collector. I don't buy from a single source, and I only buy from very reputable sources. At this rate, I may as well be gambling (which is how my wife feels about it).

If I encounter another single major issue (and I could probably forgive a stress mark as long as the piece seemed like it would hold together, and heaven knows I don't care about some little paint chips) then I am done with Masterpiece. It will be an easy decision at that point. Which is a crying shame, because this is Beast Wars coming alive in a whole new way for me, and I dig it like I dug it as a kid in 1996. But I've got better things I can do with my money (like collect entire lines for roughly the same now-greatly-inflated price of Masterpieces across a year).
Acolyte
Mini-Con

Postby Acolyte » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:19 am

As I've noted before with The Masterpiece collection. They are collectors pieces, practically display statues, they are not toys. If you had a £500 MCU Iron Man statue you wouldn't decry it's durability after handing it to a 3y/o to play with, because that isn't what it is for. To compare this line to the lesser TF lines, in that respect, is utterly disingenuous. It is apples and oranges, after all.

I mean, I get what you're trying to say, but I am personally not convinced. I can understand the broader "Masterpiece are NOT toys" argument that comes up now and again because that's now people manage or display what they love, but my position is that they should be (my 3yo doesn't play with ANY of my collection; she has her own bots for that). That's the only thing that makes them unique, and I am in no way interested in purchasing statues of Transformers or dolls that look like Transformers. I want a toy that is the pinnacle of the art form, which is what I think Masterpiece should be. Obviously this is just one collector's position.

I also don't think it's unreasonable to want to be able to perform multiple transformations on a toy that was so meticulously designed and engineered that it apparently warrants a market price of ~$300. I have beaten an Apple watch mercilessly for 2.5 years and it barely cost more than that. I understand this is a collector's piece and my Apple Watch is just the Sport edition and that I just made a true apples to Transformers comparison (heh), but I want Takara to get this point: that broken Masterpieces utterly defeat the point.
Acolyte
Mini-Con

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:28 am

Always Guilty..."
Isolated cases represent confirmation bias and nothing more. Again, it is luck of the draw. In a batch of 100 figures, 8 may have problems. Unfortunate to whoever ends up with them but it is hardly cause to cry out that the sky is falling. Takara won't 'get' any point, until there are sufficient numbers to even warrant their notice. Every company has a margin for acceptable losses within their product range factored in.

I owned hundreds of figures growing up, with a variety of prices and I have yet to encounter a noteworthy issue with any, other than a couple of broken legs with two Transmetals after years of play. That's it. I know that for a fact because I still have them all in storage.

Pricing is also context sensitive with the Beast Wars MP line. Megatron is the biggest figure, the ceiling of the line as far as size/pricing goes. You would be insane to think they would charge anything around his price tag for Rattrap or Airazor. Inferno is equal in height to Dinobot, it is doubtful they would share a price tag either given Inferno's legendary status as a shelfwarmer. Popularity affects price too, of course and that too only goes down from here within Beast Wars Season One.
AllNewSuperRobot
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Ironhidensh » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:48 am

Motto: "Tell those damned kids to stay off my lawn!!!"
Weapon: Big Cannon
Well, I've transformed mine back and forth several times now with zero issues.

First time scared the hell out of me, but once I got done using super strength on the torso slide function, because sweet Jesus that was tight, everything has gone fine. The crotch plastic does look as if it has flaws in it that could contribute to easy breakage, but I think it does require some "ham hands" to start.
Card carrying grumpy old man.

Leonardo wrote:Take your lips off my pipe!
Ironhidensh
Faction Commander
News Credits: 25
Buy from Ironhidensh on eBay
Strength: 10+
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10+

Postby william-james88 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:27 am

Motto: "'till All Are One"
Ironhidensh wrote:Well, I've transformed mine back and forth several times now with zero issues.

First time scared the hell out of me, but once I got done using super strength on the torso slide function, because sweet Jesus that was tight, everything has gone fine. The crotch plastic does look as if it has flaws in it that could contribute to easy breakage, but I think it does require some "ham hands" to start.

Or that the screws were cranked too much for a few. A few were broken straight out of the packaging. Hence why it looks so much like the luck of the draw.
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

william-james88
News Staff
News Credits: 4498
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Postby AllNewSuperRobot » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:30 am

Always Guilty..."
The question I have being, is the torso slide supposed to be that tight, by design? :-?
AllNewSuperRobot
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby SpikeyTigertron » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:15 am

AllNewSuperRobot wrote:The question I have being, is the torso slide supposed to be that tight, by design? :-?

I hope not... what was worse.... taking it apart (to try to not break hips) left me with zero leverage.... so taking it apart didn’t help. I suppose one those notations in Japanese was “pull hard!”?
SpikeyTigertron
Gestalt Team Leader
News Credits: 2

Postby Nathaniel Prime » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:24 am

Motto: "Scale is also like Starscream in the G1 movie in that it's bad comedy."
Weapon: Fusion Cannon
AllNewSuperRobot wrote:The question I have being, is the torso slide supposed to be that tight, by design? :-?

Probably not. It's kinda like some figures where a certain joint is super tight at first, then becomes smooth after the first transformation.

I really hope this MP Megatron nonsense is just a 1 in a million incident. A 300$ figure like this should not have any issues like that, and this gets me more worried about the upcoming MP-44, who is both more expensive and looks more complex.
One's red one's blue sometimes I want to ask god why he's played this cruel joke on us
Nathaniel Prime
Gestalt Team Leader
News Credits: 56
Alt Mode: Cybertronian Tank
Strength: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Firepower: 10+

Postby Hellscream9999 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:46 am

Motto: "Never forgive, never forget."
Weapon: Black Magic
Nathaniel Prime wrote:

Probably not. It's kinda like some figures where a certain joint is super tight at first, then becomes smooth after the first transformation.

I really hope this MP Megatron nonsense is just a 1 in a million incident. A 300$ figure like this should not have any issues like that, and this gets me more worried about the upcoming MP-44, who is both more expensive and looks more complex.

Tell that to the mp-36 paint scratching >:oP
I am not a G1 fan, please treat my opinions as such.

william-james88 wrote:If ever Sabrblade decides to go on vacation, I am glad to know we can rely on you.
Hellscream9999
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 174
Alt Mode: Skeletal Dragon
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Courage: ???
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: Infinity

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SAVAGE SHE-HULK #1 facsimile Marvel Comics 2022 ptg OCT220944 (W)Lee (CA)Buscema"
SAVAGE SHE-HULK #1 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OMEGA MEN #3 Facsimile Edition DC Comics 2023 ptg 0623DC259 1st Lobo (CA) Giffen"
OMEGA MEN #3 Facsi ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN #1 Facsimile Edition Cvr B foil DC Comics 2023 ptg 0723DC202 1B (CA) Kane"
BATMAN #1 Facsimil ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN #404 Facsimile Cvr A DC Comics 2023 ptg 1023DC209 404A (CA) Mazzucchelli"
BATMAN #404 Facsim ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "X-MEN #4 Facsimile Marvel Comics 2024 ptg OCT230976 (A/CA) Kirby (W) Lee"
X-MEN #4 Facsimile ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS #1 Facsimile Cvr A DC Comics 2024 0324DC131 1A Perez"
NEW!
CRISIS ON INFINITE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WOLVERINE #1 Facsimile Marvel Comics 2024 ptg JAN240732 (CA) Buscema"
NEW!
WOLVERINE #1 Facsi ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Marvel Super Heroes SECRET WARS #2 1:25 Facsimile Marvel Comics NOV230744 MSH"
NEW!
Marvel Super Heroe ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ALL-STAR COMICS #3 Facsimile Cvr A DC Comics 2023 0923DC265 (CA) EE Hibbard"
ALL-STAR COMICS #3 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #252 Facsimile foil Marvel Comics 2024 ptg OCT230971 Frenz"
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #122 Facsimile Edition Marvel Comics 2023 ptg APR230704"
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN #404 Facsimile Cvr B blank sketch DC Comics 2023 ptg 1023DC211 404B"
BATMAN #404 Facsim ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Marvel Super Heroes SECRET WARS #1 Facsimile Marvel Comics 2024 OCT230973 MSH"
Marvel Super Heroe ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN BEYOND #1 Facsimile Cvr A DC Comics 2024 ptg 1123DC801 1A (CA) Timm"
BATMAN BEYOND #1 F ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Tailgate" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Slug" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Outback" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Megatron Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Fusion Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 11.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Rippersnapper" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Snarl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Chaos on Velocitron 5-Figure Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Ironhide Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Power Series Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Decepticon Octone and Murk" on AMAZON