This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime 3.0 Discussion Thread

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-?? Optimus Prime 3.0 Discussion Thread

Postby ExciKaiser » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:55 am

Wolfman Jake wrote:It would never have been this popular and long-lived if they had stayed with the original design vision from MP-1 through 8 or 9.

But is it ?
When MP1 was released, everybody was like "get it, period".

Everybody back in time got it, it was like mandatory for all TF fans. You like TFs ? then you have MP1 in your collection.

But now ? we can see debates like this one on each release. Even for Optimus, we're far from the old consensus.

I'm curious to see sales numbers, but I'm not sure we have them. But what I know is there's regularly Sales on bbts for the recents MPs.
Not english-native speaker. Thank you for being cool on my typos.
My Collection - Transformers Go Combiner Teams onboard !
Looking for the claw-shield-gun which comes with Magna convoy.
ExciKaiser
Combiner
News Credits: 1
Buy from ExciKaiser on eBay

Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-?? Optimus Prime 3.0 Discussion Thread

Postby ZeroWolf » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:01 am

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Weapon: Battle Blades
Sales must be good otherwise they wouldn't have kept on doing them. Though maybe we should be asking what the local fans think of this. Hasbro is very picky to what mps it releases in the west.
Got news for Seibertron? Share it here!
ZeroWolf
News Admin
News Credits: 1350

Postby Wolfman Jake » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:24 pm

Motto: ""A mountain with a wolf on it stands a little taller."
-Edward Hoagland"
Weapon: Retractable Mecha-Fangs
ExciKaiser wrote:
Wolfman Jake wrote:It would never have been this popular and long-lived if they had stayed with the original design vision from MP-1 through 8 or 9.

But is it ?
When MP1 was released, everybody was like "get it, period".

Everybody back in time got it, it was like mandatory for all TF fans. You like TFs ? then you have MP1 in your collection.

But now ? we can see debates like this one on each release. Even for Optimus, we're far from the old consensus.

I'm curious to see sales numbers, but I'm not sure we have them. But what I know is there's regularly Sales on bbts for the recents MPs.

You have to remember too that the original Masterpiece figures 1 through 9 were all AAA characters, or repaints of AAA characters that were easy enough to do. The likes of Optimus Prime, Megatron, Starscream, Thundercracker, Skywarp, Grimlock, and Rodimus Prime are EASY sells to fans casual and dedicated alike. Imagine the lukewarm reception something like an old MP styled Sideswipe with more a more G1 toy faithful transformation and robot mode appearance would have received.
Wolfman Jake - Spendin' the day howlin' away.
Wolfman Jake
Faction Commander
News Credits: 65
Alt Mode: Wolf
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 9
Firepower: 2
Skill: 8

Clearer Prototype Images of Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime 3.0

Postby Va'al » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:50 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Courtesy of online resource Dengeki Hobby, we have some additional prototype images for the Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece Optimus Prime / Convoy 3.0 - yet unnumbered and unpriced - showing off both the robot and truck mode, with trailer, which are closer in rendition to the cartoon model used in the original Transformers animated series.

You can check it out below, with the machine translated description from the source, and join the conversation in the Energon Pub discussion boards!

Characters that are keenly developing for the release in 2019, you know! First animation "Fight! Super robot living body Transformers "It is the first general commander convoy of Cybertron. Convoy which has been commercialized twice in the past as "MP-1 Convoy" and "MP-10 Convoy", but in "version 3" this time, the tire of the leg at robot mode In particular, noteworthy is the fact that the anime's reproducibility has increased to the limit by the startling deformation mechanism in which no common parts are found in the vehicle mode and the robot mode in the case of the vehicle mode).
In addition, it is said that a voice gimmick containing many voices of Teruaki Genda who was in charge of the voice of the first convoy is included. I am looking forward to it, but I will inform you about detailed product specifications with hobby web, so please look forward to it !!

DATA

Transformers Masterpiece Convoy (Ver3)

Price: TBD
Scheduled to be released in 2019
Target age 15 years and older
Publisher: Takara Tomy

※ The picture is under development

Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby frogbat » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:01 am

Motto: "All my 6 nipples are tingling."
Weapon: Self-Propelled Photon Cannon
I was annoyed at the release of mp10 as I was perfectly happy with mp1 and found some design choices on mp10 less to my liking. I eventually caved in and got mp10 and was pretty happy with him. Never had the trailer + the scaling with the new releases convinced my little brain it was worth the expenditure.

Now this... again it's a bit annoying considering the number of characters that would benefit more from Takara's attention like the remnants of the ark crew (+ I'm sure they can make a better seeker). He does look awesome and they finally seem to have nailed his legs. Will I get him? eventually.. but won't be a priority for sure.
My personal prime collection so far in descending order of how great i reckon the toy is -
FE Prime, Silas Breakdown (Powerizer), Dreadwing (Powerizer), FE Bulkhead, Voyager StarScream (Powerizer), Ratchet, Soundwave, Arcee, Voyager Megatron (Powerizer), Wheeljack, Thundertron (Powerizer), Ultra Magnus (Powerizer), Knockout, Cliffjumper, Bumblebee,Airachnid
frogbat
Pretender
Intelligence: 7
Endurance: 7
Firepower: 5
Skill: 7

Postby Stormshot_Prime » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:01 am

Motto: "Primus is in his heaven, all’s right with the world."
Weapon: Fusion-Powered Particle Blaster
Looks like they managed to tuck away the whole truck cab in his torso in robot mode, that’s a fake chest Prime has got right there.

I think these new super-cartoon-accurate MPs are cool, but that just feels like a cheap gimmick, juuuuust a little.
Stormshot_Prime
Vehicon
Alt Mode: All-Terrain Battle SUV
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Courage: 7
Firepower: 4
Skill: 7

Postby Apocdave » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:33 am

Sadly this is a pass for me since I own 4 versions of mp-10 not that this isn't nice but the only real upgrade here is the rifle an maybe the lower legs Since I bought all the different color variations of the mp-01 rifle off ebay which is still the best version of the gun I think I'm good.
Apocdave
Mini-Con

Postby Hydrargyrus » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:18 am

Motto: "Solutions can be found if one knows where to look."
Weapon: Ion Pulse Guns
I’ve been thinking this for a while...

I feel like Animation-accuracy might be a much bigger deal in Japan.
And that there really isn’t anywhere else to produce toys that are basically the cartoon jumping out of the screen, hence the new Masterpiece style (with G1, Beast Wars, and the Movies all very screen-accurate)

Sorry, if this has been pointed out. Just my two cents.
Sometimes I say strange things.

“But, okay—if I want to prove him wrong, maybe I should look at things from his P.O.V.”
—Wheeljack, RiD #3

formerly known as MagicDeath
Hydrargyrus
Vehicon
Buy from Hydrargyrus on eBay
Alt Mode: Kronosaurus
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 3
Endurance: 5
Courage: 6
Firepower: 6

Postby hausjam » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:40 am

Definitely getting him. But please Takara, please offer him without the trailer. While I can never have too many Optimus robots, I already have two trailers and don't want another. If you only sell him with the trailer, I will grudgingly opt for the knockoff.
hausjam
Minibot

Postby hausjam » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:44 am

Unless, (I know this won't happen, I am not delusional) instead of the trailer transforming into the traditional battle/repair station (which never happened in the cartoon anyway) have it transform into something else. Maybe an oversized roller? Or a backpack? Give us something different and clever for the trailer.
hausjam
Minibot

Postby Cyberpath » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:26 am

He had it in the cartoon for sure, just looked different each time.

Cyberpath
City Commander
News Credits: 372

Postby Carnivius_Prime » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:09 pm

Motto: "A cunning smile is more devastating than the fiercest weapon."
Weapon: Anti-Thermal Cannon
Stormshot_Prime wrote:I think these new super-cartoon-accurate MPs are cool, but that just feels like a cheap gimmick, juuuuust a little.

But the transformations in the cartoon were cheap looking as hell with very little actual thought of where pieces actually go and how they should accurately look in each form. I guess sometimes the figure has to cheat to achieve the full toon look in the cases where actual real plastic and metals cannot contort. :P
I have anxiety, depression and aspergers syndrome so my behaviour can be erratic. I don't mean offense to anyone. Just very picky about my Transformers collecting. You're all cool! :)

Likes: Bayverse, Marvel UK G1, Geoff Senior art, '86 movie (more for style/soundtrack rather than Star Wars plot)
Dislikes: Bumblebee movie (lousy rehashed dumb crud), TFA, G1 cartoon, IDW G1, BW/BM, MP. The entire concept of Autobot Megatron
Carnivius_Prime
City Commander
News Credits: 19

Postby Wolfman Jake » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:29 pm

Motto: ""A mountain with a wolf on it stands a little taller."
-Edward Hoagland"
Weapon: Retractable Mecha-Fangs
These are my feelings right now about Masterpiece Optimus Prime 3.0. It looks great in robot mode (and truck mode too). I love how close Takara can get to screen accuracy with their latest engineering tricks. I will almost certainly be getting this next year, especially if Takara nails the colors. However, I won't be selling off my MP-10 Optimus Prime. It's also fantastic in its own way and achieves a great looking robot mode with much less "cheating," as some would say. There is room in my heart (and my collection) for both interpretations of the Autobot's most famous leader. Version 3.0 will probably be in the main Masterpiece display along with the rest of the cast, but MP-10 will likely get his own display elsewhere in my home.
Wolfman Jake - Spendin' the day howlin' away.
Wolfman Jake
Faction Commander
News Credits: 65
Alt Mode: Wolf
Firepower: 2

Postby TerranPrime » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:32 pm

I'm not happy about his face. It does not look cartoon accurate and it's just too boxy. The sides of his helmet are WAY too big compared to his mask! Hopefully it comes with an alternate head that looks nicer than this one.

G1 cartoon face:

MP Optimus 3.0 face:
TerranPrime
Mini-Con

Postby Prime Target » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:57 pm

Motto: "Accept any accept all every person counts"
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
Sorry Takara but no dice :( I'll stick with MP-10 and all it's repaints thanks. Make a Nemesis Prime repaint with a cool looking trailer then we'll talk.
Prime Target
Minibot
Watch Prime Target on YouTube
Alt Mode: Lamborghini Centenario
Strength: 5
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: 6
Endurance: 4
Firepower: 10
Skill: 10+

Postby fenrir72 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:51 pm

Motto: "Power to the strong and the right!"
Weapon: Plasma Cannon
TerranPrime wrote:I'm not happy about his face. It does not look cartoon accurate and it's just too boxy. The sides of his helmet are WAY too big compared to his mask! Hopefully it comes with an alternate head that looks nicer than this one.

G1 cartoon face:

MP Optimus 3.0 face:

There were multiple versions (animator/animation companies that rendered Optimus)

this for instance (looks like Masami Obari was the artist here). Lot's o' styles but this one (version 3.0 ?) follows the most common by (?) either by Toei, Akom or FilToons/FilAnimation/ToonCity
Attachments
MTMtE_Part3_ExaggeratedPrime.jpg
MTMtE_Part3_ExaggeratedPrime.jpg (51.57 KiB) Viewed 45237 times
Last edited by fenrir72 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fenrir72
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 60
Buy from fenrir72 on eBay
Alt Mode: Mobile Ground Fortress
Strength: 9
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

Postby Emerje » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:58 pm

Motto: "Spellcheck's antithesis."
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
TerranPrime wrote:I'm not happy about his face. It does not look cartoon accurate and it's just too boxy. The sides of his helmet are WAY too big compared to his mask! Hopefully it comes with an alternate head that looks nicer than this one.

G1 cartoon face:

MP Optimus 3.0 face:

"Cartoon accuracy" is dependent on whichever source they decide to go with. Just because it doesn't match one specific screen cap you find doesn't mean it isn't accurate to a bunch of other ways it might be drawn in other episodes (or even the same episode).

In that last one the two do even look alike in the same frame!

Emerje
Emerje
News Staff
News Credits: 235
Alt Mode: Lobster Moose
Speed: 4
Firepower: 3
Skill: 6

Postby bigcee66 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:59 pm

G1 cartoon face:

MP Optimus 3.0 face:

Ugh you do know he had various faces right? Heck it looks like his 1986 movie face. And to add that pic you posted isn’t exactly a Face ID want tbqh. Poorly drawn to say the least.
bigcee66
Micromaster

Postby Prime Target » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:19 pm

Motto: "Accept any accept all every person counts"
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
Sorry Takara but no dice :( I'll stick with MP-10 and all it's repaints thanks. Make a Nemesis Prime repaint with a cool looking trailer then we'll talk.
Prime Target
Minibot
Watch Prime Target on YouTube
Alt Mode: Lamborghini Centenario
Intelligence: Infinity
Endurance: 4
Skill: 10+

Postby chuckdawg1999 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:41 pm

Motto: "The man, the myth, the legend... yeah right."
Weapon: Saber Blade
Looks like the blaster can fold up. That's a nice touch that I'm glad they kept.
chuckdawg1999
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 317
Watch chuckdawg1999 on YouTube
Buy from chuckdawg1999 on eBay
Strength: 10
Speed: 10
Endurance: 10
Skill: 10

Postby RotorstormNZ » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:11 am

Motto: "Well...I thought it was funny!"
Prime Target wrote:Make a Nemesis Prime repaint with a cool looking trailer then we'll talk.

Bring this out as G2 with the “refrigeration unit”/voicebox, biga55 cannons and the OPTIMUS trailer and I am SO in!
Last edited by RotorstormNZ on Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We just kinda have to enjoy it for what it is, you know? Our stuff we like is continuing to move on: we may not like facets of it but cool enough, right?" - Tigertrack

"If you don’t like the way it’s going, guess what - all the stuff you had? It’s still there!" - Mr. Starscream

"But it's not what I want!" - Seibertron
RotorstormNZ
Vehicon
News Credits: 6
Watch RotorstormNZ on YouTube
Alt Mode: F-35B Lightning II
Speed: 4
Endurance: 3
Courage: 8

Postby ZeroWolf » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:32 am

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Weapon: Battle Blades
fenrir72 wrote:

G1 cartoon face:

MP Optimus 3.0 face:

There were multiple versions (animator/animation companies that rendered Optimus)

this for instance (looks like Masami Obari was the artist here). Lot's o' styles but this one (version 3.0 ?) follows the most common by (?) either by Toei, Akom or FilToons/FilAnimation/ToonCity

That prime there looks amazingly like the revoltech optimus that was out years ago.
Got news for Seibertron? Share it here!
ZeroWolf
News Admin
News Credits: 1350

Postby fenrir72 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:36 am

Motto: "Power to the strong and the right!"
Weapon: Plasma Cannon
ZeroWolf wrote:
fenrir72 wrote:

G1 cartoon face:

MP Optimus 3.0 face:

That prime there looks amazingly like the revoltech optimus that was out years ago.

Yup! Pat Lee shamelessly "adapted" the style of either Masami Obari's or it could have been Satoshi Urushihara's art style.
fenrir72
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 60
Buy from fenrir72 on eBay
Alt Mode: Mobile Ground Fortress
Endurance: 10+

Postby Siger » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:40 am

Weapon: Light-Saber Sword
Where the heck are the rest of the Dinobots from masterpiece? Grimlock has been alone for 10 years!
Siger
Fuzor

Postby Big Grim » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:35 am

Weapon: Galaxial Rocket Launcher
I got the FanToys Dinobots. They're all excellent and the correct scale.
Big Grim
Headmaster
News Credits: 148

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #281 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2021 210518A 281RI (CA)Maloney"
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #5 Cvr D 1:25 Image Comics 2023 0823IM479 5D (CA) Darboe (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #5 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #302 Cvr C 1:10 Image Comics 302C 1023IM319 (CA)Walker"
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #8 Cvr E 1:50 Image Comics 2024 0224IM324 8E (CA) Reis (W) Kirkman"
NEW!
VOID RIVALS #8 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE #9 Cvr A IDW Comics 2020 MAR200812 9A (CA) Evenhuis (A) Kelly (W) Allor"
GI JOE #9 Cvr A ID ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE YEARBOOK #4 Marvel Comics 1988 (CA) Trimpe (W) Hama 220721C"
GI JOE YEARBOOK #4 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE CASTLE FALL #1 Cvr A IDW Comics 2021 One-Shot SEP200471 1A (CA) Evenhuis"
GI JOE CASTLE FALL ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #1 Cvr G blank sketch Image Comics 2023 1G GI JOE 1023IM265 (W) WIlliamson"
DUKE #1 Cvr G blan ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #284 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2021 APR210635 284RI Hollins"
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE Real American Hero #305 Cvr B Image Comics 2024 0124IM259 305B (CA)Kubert"
NEW!
GI JOE Real Americ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE AND THE TRANSFORMERS #2 Marvel Comics 1987 (CA) Trimpe 230915K"
GI JOE AND THE TRA ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #2 2nd ptg Image Comics 2023 JUN238041 (CA) Howard (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #2 2nd ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "COBRA COMMANDER #1 Cvr G Image Comics 2024 1G 1123IM203 Blank Sketch 240415A"
NEW!
COBRA COMMANDER #1 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GI JOE ORDER OF BATTLE #4 Marvel Comics 1987 (CA) Trimpe (W) Brown 220721A"
GI JOE ORDER OF BA ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Energon Igniters Nitro Bumblebee Action Figure - Included Core Powers Driving Action - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 7-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Elita-1" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Windblade and Scorchfire" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Slug" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Optimal Optimus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Playskool Heroes Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Racing Trailer" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Vorath and Mindwipe" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Darkmoon and Astrotrain" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Sunstreaker Figure" on AMAZON