This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime 3.0 Discussion Thread

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime 3.0 Discussion Thread

Postby Hellscream9999 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:42 am

Motto: "Never forgive, never forget."
Weapon: Black Magic
Agamemnon wrote:
william-james88 wrote:
Hellscream9999 wrote:
TheForgottenTaxi wrote:Wait, I thought yesterday's report was that it was $440? Now it's $350? That's a lot closer to reasonable, if still pretty ridiculous.

No, it's $350 if you import it yourself, it'll be $450 to buy it from domestic retailers like bbts - unless I missed something

Thats right, could not have said it better myself.

Hrm...interestingly, BBTS has removed the price (and even the ability to preorder) from their site. Maybe the fan backlash is having an impact? Image

Well, depending on how much they're buying it from TT/hasbro asia for, they don't have to sell it for the msrp, they just have to sell it for more than they paid. Thing is though, if they do undercut the msrp all the other e-tailers would have to follow suit or lose all their business on this figure to the lowest price somewhere else
I am not a G1 fan, please treat my opinions as such.

william-james88 wrote:If ever Sabrblade decides to go on vacation, I am glad to know we can rely on you.
Hellscream9999
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 174
Alt Mode: Skeletal Dragon
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Courage: ???
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: Infinity

Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime 3.0 Discussion Thread

Postby ZeroWolf » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:42 am

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Weapon: Battle Blades
Agamemnon wrote:
william-james88 wrote:
Hellscream9999 wrote:
TheForgottenTaxi wrote:Wait, I thought yesterday's report was that it was $440? Now it's $350? That's a lot closer to reasonable, if still pretty ridiculous.

No, it's $350 if you import it yourself, it'll be $450 to buy it from domestic retailers like bbts - unless I missed something

Hrm...interestingly, BBTS has removed the price (and even the ability to preorder) from their site. Maybe the fan backlash is having an impact? Image

Robotkingdom have him listed for $369.99 currently which is only $20 more then self import price.
Got news for Seibertron? Share it here!
ZeroWolf
News Admin
News Credits: 1350

Postby Cyberpath » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:54 am

A little concerned with the apparent complexity of the transformation, like how does the truck's grill end up inside his backpack in robot-mode? I hope it's all intuitive and flowing in-hand.

I remember how to transform all my MPs, but Megatron is the only one where I have to set time aside to transform.
Cyberpath
City Commander
News Credits: 372

Postby Cyberpath » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:03 am

Cyberpath
City Commander
News Credits: 372

Postby Evil Eye » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:06 am

Motto: "Don't be a goddamn coward."
Weapon: Acid Spray Gun
Cyberpath wrote:

"Now, Optimus, feel the power of my SUNBOW RAY!"
"Gah! My surface detail and paintjob! What have you DONE, Megatron!?!?"

In case you hadn't guessed, I'm not terribly thrilled. The extra articulation looks nice but everything else...yeesh. The dull as hell paintjob, the overall blandness combined with the excessive amount of hinges as a result of the unnecessarily complex conversion (thus giving this this unenviable status of "Too simplistic AND too greebly at the same time"), the backpack,the rear of the truck mode which makes MP-10's THICC rear section look reasonable, the no doubt obscenely horrible transformation, the lengths taken to make it accurate to something that couldn't even stay accurate to itself, and of course that PRICE. Dear Primus.

I'm normally pretty live-and-let-live with people's taste in toys but I seriously hope this bombs so that Takara reconsiders the direction they're taking the line.
Ha ha Transformers go brrrrr
Evil Eye
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 12
Alt Mode: F-4 Phantom II
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 10
Firepower: 6
Skill: 8

Postby Amelie » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:10 am

Motto: "I-I'm sorry.. I-I'll be going now.."
Weapon: No Weapon
ZeroWolf wrote:Robotkingdom have him listed for $369.99 currently which is only $20 more then self import price.

This feels much more agreeable. I'm sure after the dust has settled, we'll all chuckle at the $450 price tag that first came up....
Burn wrote:Let it be known, I murdered Amelie.
Accidentally.

Back from the dead, like some curious zombie amalgam...
Amelie
Godmaster
News Credits: 33
Alt Mode: Unicrons Transformation Cog
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 6
Endurance: 4
Courage: 5
Firepower: 1
Skill: 10

Postby Hellscream9999 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:15 am

Amelie wrote:
ZeroWolf wrote:Robotkingdom have him listed for $369.99 currently which is only $20 more then self import price.

This feels much more agreeable. I'm sure after the dust has settled, we'll all chuckle at the $450 price tag that first came up....

But aren't they based out of china? Won't you still have to pay a lot in shipping?

william-james88 wrote:If ever Sabrblade decides to go on vacation, I am glad to know we can rely on you.
Hellscream9999
Matrix Keeper

Postby Hellscream9999 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:17 am

Black Hat wrote:
Cyberpath wrote:

"Now, Optimus, feel the power of my SUNBOW RAY!"
"Gah! My surface detail and paintjob! What have you DONE, Megatron!?!?"

In case you hadn't guessed, I'm not terribly thrilled. The extra articulation looks nice but everything else...yeesh. The dull as hell paintjob, the overall blandness combined with the excessive amount of hinges as a result of the unnecessarily complex conversion (thus giving this this unenviable status of "Too simplistic AND too greebly at the same time"), the backpack,the rear of the truck mode which makes MP-10's THICC rear section look reasonable, the no doubt obscenely horrible transformation, the lengths taken to make it accurate to something that couldn't even stay accurate to itself, and of course that PRICE. Dear Primus.

I'm normally pretty live-and-let-live with people's taste in toys but I seriously hope this bombs so that Takara reconsiders the direction they're taking the line.

The new proportions look really nice, but mp-10 still seems like the more satisfactory transformer due to actually using the truck mode in bot mode

Hellscream9999
Matrix Keeper

Postby Amelie » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:26 am

Hellscream9999 wrote:But aren't they based out of china? Won't you still have to pay a lot in shipping?

I live in the UK. I end up paying for the shipping from China one way or the other at the end of the day...

How many people here are thinking of "gambling" on Hasbro taking this one up and going domestic in the hopes of a smaller price tag?
Accidentally.

Amelie
Godmaster

Postby joevill » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:05 am

Motto: "For Seibertron!"
Weapon: Sword
OK.... the photo with Starscream's head just convinced me to pre-order this!
joevill
Transmetal Warrior
News Credits: 11
Watch joevill on YouTube
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 5
Endurance: 5
Firepower: 5
Skill: 5

Postby Octobotimus » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:10 am

Motto: "When Life gives you oranges, you make lemonade!"
Weapon: Solar-Powered Vibro-Cannons
joevill wrote:OK.... the photo with Starscream's head just convinced me to pre-order this!

don't see how a starscream head is worth 400+ but ok.... personally think the 2 other 3rd party primes offer a better price to look ratio. better looking primes for less is better than this imo.
Octobotimus
Minibot
News Credits: 1
Buy from Octobotimus on eBay
Alt Mode: attack helicopter
Strength: 7
Speed: 4
Endurance: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 8

Postby Amelie » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:20 am

The $400+ price point seems to be turning this into one of the most divisive releases ever. Statues in the past went easily over this level, but "Masterpiece" is one of the longest running Transformers lines ever, not a small offshoot that only the most dedicated and wealthy collectors get into.

I'm not sure how well the idea of a 'mainstream' line being shifted into the 'elite' category feels right now. Part of me thinks 'its expensive to make them, so it should cost more', but on the other hand, the Masterpiece line is cool because its relatively accessible and one of those things that as collectors we can all get behind and discuss playing with, rather than seeing a select few owning it online and going 'coo - I wish I had that'.
Accidentally.

Amelie
Godmaster

Postby joevill » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:34 am

Motto: "For Seibertron!"
Weapon: Sword
It's a new figure, Starscream Prime!!!
joevill
Transmetal Warrior
News Credits: 11
Watch joevill on YouTube
Strength: 5
Speed: 5

Postby william-james88 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:35 am

Motto: "'till All Are One"
Seibertron wrote:Oh my god cartoon accuracy drives me f*****g crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where is the silver paint on the figure? What is with the dull flat grays? Why does Takara think they have to be so slavish to their perceived cartoon accuracy? Not what I want to spend $400+ on, let alone $200+!!! I have never ever wanted G1 cartoon accurate toys that are so slavish that they forget that the grays should represent silver in most cases or that the lack of details was to make it easier for the animators to HAND draw, neither of which should apply to "masterpiece" Transformers.

It definitely looks better in color, though the upper torso angled on the lower body looks really odd to me.

I dont know if you noticed this, but maybe not because I bet it would irritate you and you would have metioned it. In the cartoon, they would not give the cab the silver stripe from the toy when in alt mode, leaving it all red (most of the time). But that stripe was always left in the robot mode. So they recreated that dumb design error here, heaving out the stripe in alt mode. So the toy goes out of its way to technically makes no sense and represent animation laziness.

Cyberpath wrote:Also, I sort of got the feeling he should be packed with more battle damage parts than just the head?

It said he would come with another battle damage piec and it does, it includes a pat of his abs where Megatron hurts him in the 86 movie.
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

william-james88
News Staff
News Credits: 4470
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Postby no-one » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:02 am

Now that I'm looking at these new color images on a PC, has anyone else noticed how odd the hand/wrists connections look?

MPOPv3_Hands.jpg
MPOPv3_Hands.jpg (44.84 KiB) Viewed 15563 times

joevill wrote:It's a new figure, Starscream Prime!!!
:lol: Everybody enjoys a little cosplay form time to time.
no-one
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 131

Postby william-james88 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:04 am

Motto: "'till All Are One"
ZeroWolf wrote:
Agamemnon wrote:
william-james88 wrote:
Hellscream9999 wrote:

Robotkingdom have him listed for $369.99 currently which is only $20 more then self import price.

Robot kingdom is always cheaper. By the way, BBTS is not selling at MSRP by choice. If they could sell for less they could. But as it is, they cant buy directly from Takara. Takara only sells to Japanese retailers, they cant sell transformers outside Japan since Hasbro owns the brand in ever other market.

So, middlemen buy wholesale from Takara and ship to BBTS and everyother retailer outside japan. That added middleman and shipping cost plus import cost means these toys always cost more locally.

Robotkingdom deals with hasbro Asia, who we know has its own releases of Takara products. So they can sell for cheaper.

But the shippng from china (which you guys can verify) will be about $50-60 at least so you end up at the same spot. There is no way out of that crazy price range right now.

If someone wants him cheap, you HAVE to wait to see what Amazon Japan sells him for, which will be around $350 USD. And then you have to pay shipping and import fees (which change depending on where you live).

Amelie wrote:
Hellscream9999 wrote:But aren't they based out of china? Won't you still have to pay a lot in shipping?

I live in the UK. I end up paying for the shipping from China one way or the other at the end of the day...

How many people here are thinking of "gambling" on Hasbro taking this one up and going domestic in the hopes of a smaller price tag?

The alst time Hasbro was cheaper was with Starscream many moons ago. Since then, its been just as expensive or more expensive.

Here is Hasbro release of Beast Wars MP Megatron for $320. A Hasbro release of Prime would be $450, since they are matching MSRPs.

https://www.entertainmentearth.com/prod ... on/hse4006
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

william-james88
News Staff
News Credits: 4470
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Postby ZeroWolf » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:09 am

carytheone wrote:Now that I'm looking at these new color images on a PC, has anyone else noticed how odd the hand/wrists connections look?

MPOPv3_Hands.jpg

Those hands do look really weird now that you have pointed that out.
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby no-one » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:19 am

ZeroWolf wrote:
carytheone wrote:Now that I'm looking at these new color images on a PC, has anyone else noticed how odd the hand/wrists connections look?

MPOPv3_Hands.jpg
Those hands do look really weird now that you have pointed that out.
Weird and
no-one
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 131

New image of Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime 3.0 and a $369.99 preorder at RobotKingdom.com

Postby ZeroWolf » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:48 am

Hot on the heels of these official new images of MP-44, we now have another new image which shows Prime leaping into the air firing his gun, a pose ripped out of the 1986 Transformers The Movie. The image was found on a Japanese blog site. Thanks to fellow Seibertron user, Cyberpath for bringing this to our attention. According to the blog, the image is an advertisement put out by Takara Tomy Mall in a magazine.The image shows that the ¥50,000 price listing was indeed correct and is the MSRP for is. It is with mentioning that that price may see up to a 30% reduction once its Amazon Japan listing goes up, so it may be worth keeping an eye there. However, shipping will cost extra and its unknown at this point if it will be shipped to places outside of Japan.

We have mirrored the image for your convenience below.

We also have another preorder up for MP-44, this one couresty of site sponsor, RobotKingdom.com .

The pre order here is listed at $369.99 which is one of the best yet but does not factor shipping which could increase it to $450+ depending on where you are as it is
Shipping from China.

Are you on the fence about this release? Let us know in the Energon Pub and stay tuned to Seibertron for all the latest news and reviews. You
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby ThunderThruster » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:12 am

Weapon: Twin Shoulder-Mounted Rocket Launchers
Coptur wrote:If they want quick bucks and cash grabs why not announce:

- Clampdown

Clampdown already exists as MP-14C, uness you want an animation style figure of a character that was never in the 'toon?
Tekka wrote:What she doesn't realize is that Springer actually loves Rodimus.
ThunderThruster
Gestalt

Postby Regimus Prime » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:20 pm

Cyberpath wrote:

Ok, after looking at these comparison shots I may need a second job and MP-10 will be going back in his packaging. :BOT:
Regimus Prime
Minibot

Postby Short Circuit » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:34 pm

Weapon: Dual-Sonic Disrupter Gun
He's not too bad looking. Hoping they make a "toy accurate" deco with silvers and more fine details picked out. I think I still prefer mp-10 as a good modern prime, but G1 cartoon fans will be pleased with it. Really like how the trailer drone can become a stand and has more of a beefy look.
Short Circuit
Fuzor
Alt Mode: Cybertronian Micro-Jet
Intelligence: 8
Courage: 6
Firepower: 3

Postby mesh » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:44 pm

MPOPv3_Hands.jpg

During transformation or if it drops those hand joints will crack and snap off.

But now that we're seeing a drop in price I might reconsider. But it's still priced toooo high.
mesh
Minibot

Postby starfish » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:48 pm

william-james88 wrote:So the toy goes out of its way to technically makes no sense and represent animation laziness.

They were animating episodes at stupid speeds, to stupid deadlines and to stupid budgets. By all means hate on the cartoon and its aesthetic all you like, but the animators did insanely well to make that show look as good as it did, given the constraints they were under.

I’m not sure that ‘laziness’ is an adjective we should be using to describe the toon art department. They worked their asses off!

Now, some of the scripts, on the other hand...
starfish
Combiner
News Credits: 2

Postby Seibertron » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:06 pm

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
starfish wrote:
william-james88 wrote:So the toy goes out of its way to technically makes no sense and represent animation laziness.

They were animating episodes at stupid speeds, to stupid deadlines and to stupid budgets. By all means hate on the cartoon and its aesthetic all you like, but the animators did insanely well to make that show look as good as it did, given the constraints they were under.

I’m not sure that ‘laziness’ is an adjective we should be using to describe the toon art department. They worked their asses off!

Now, some of the scripts, on the other hand...

I agree with starfish about the word "laziness", that's not fair for a hand drawn old school cel cartoon to call their hard work "lazy". It does come across to me as "lazy" for the Masterpieces though. I don't get making them look like the cartoon model walked out of the cartoon, lack of details and all. I want to get back to Prowl and Wheeljack, who look like their cartoon models but also have the extra detailing and didn't "cheat" to achieve the look.

I'd like to propose this quote instead:

So the toy goes out of its way to technically makes no sense and represent animation simplification.
Seibertron
Site Owner
News Credits: 3552
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Courage: 8
Skill: 10+

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K31 SHADOW PANTHER Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe 2021 New"
WFC-K31 SHADOW PAN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-E18 AIRWAVE Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Deluxe Hasbro 2020 New"
WFC-E18 AIRWAVE Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BWVS-02 RHINOX + SCORPONOK Transformers Beast Wars Again Kingdom Hasbro 2023 New"
BWVS-02 RHINOX + S ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CORONATION STARSCREAM Transformers Studio Series 86-12 Leader 2022 King 220907A"
CORONATION STARSCR ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BWVS-01 OPTIMUS PRIMAL + MEGATRON Transformers Beast Wars Again Kingdom 2023 New"
BWVS-01 OPTIMUS PR ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K17 ARCEE Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe 2021 New"
WFC-K17 ARCEE Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #1 Cover B (1st Print) IDW Comics 2019 BOLD NEW ERA SIEGE 1B"
TRANSFORMERS #1 Co ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BWVS-05 RATTRAP + TERRORSAUR Transformers Beast Wars Again Kingdom Hasbro 2024"
NEW!
BWVS-05 RATTRAP + ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K2 RATTRAP Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Core Hasbro 2020 New"
WFC-K2 RATTRAP Tra ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-E1 SOUNDBARRIER Transformers War Cybertron Earthrise Battle Master 2020 New"
WFC-E1 SOUNDBARRIE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K7 PALEOTREX Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe Hasbro 2020 New"
WFC-K7 PALEOTREX T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-E10 GRAPPLE Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Voyager Hasbro 2020 New"
NEW!
WFC-E10 GRAPPLE Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K38 RED ALERT Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe Walgreens 2021 New"
WFC-K38 RED ALERT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-E17 ARCEE Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Deluxe Hasbro 2020 New"
WFC-E17 ARCEE Tran ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #346 - Gas Station Jamboree
Twincast / Podcast #346:
"Gas Station Jamboree"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 23rd, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Tailgate" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Rippersnapper" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Megatron Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Fusion Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 11.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Optimal Optimus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Outback" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 08 Leader Class Movie 1 Decepticon Blackout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Unicronus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Grimlock Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Hyperfire and Blurr" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Autobot Infinitus and Sentinel Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Onslaught Figure" on AMAZON