This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime 3.0 Discussion Thread

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime 3.0 Discussion Thread

Postby william-james88 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:33 pm

Motto: "'till All Are One"
PhotonWaveZero wrote:I'll wait for the inevitable Hasbro release because it will be half the pric.

lol, like the Hasbro release of beast wars megatron?
https://www.entertainmentearth.com/prod ... on/hse4006

you guys are living in the past.
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

william-james88
News Staff
News Credits: 4499
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime 3.0 Discussion Thread

Postby Cyberpath » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:20 am

I think he looks spectacular. For the first time in almost 35 years an Optimus Prime that is utterly cartoon-accurate, where the designers resisted temptation (or weren't even tempted) to slap a bunch of extra details and paint apps that would take away from it. There's already a million Primes with all sort of twists, let this one do what it's supposed to do. If nothing else, Takara can say that they've finally done it.

Looking forward to trying some more dramatic setups.

For fun, all four MP-scale Optimus Prime figures (two 3P & two official.)

Click to enlarge.

Attachments
MP Prime.jpg
TE (3P) vs MS-01 (3P) vs MP-44 (Takara) vs MP-10 (Takara)
Cyberpath
City Commander
News Credits: 372

Postby Bucky » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:53 am

Weapon: Hip-Mounted Launchers
As much as I’d like to have this I will never, ever drop that much money on a single figure. I had a hard enough time pulling the trigger on MP Megatron, Dinobot and BW Megatron. This is just too exorbitant. My hope is that it’s a truly fantastic figure for those who want it, and can afford it.

As nice as it would be to have an MP Prime that is slavishly cartoon accurate, I’m still very fond of my MP 10, and it didn’t cost me half of what this new Prime costs. I like his level of detail, the style, the little flourishes here and there. I enjoy his strange proportions.
Bucky
Vehicon
News Credits: 7
Alt Mode: Cassette
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 8
Endurance: 6
Courage: 5
Firepower: 6
Skill: 6

Postby ZeroWolf » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:47 am

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Weapon: Battle Blades
Got news for Seibertron? Share it here!
ZeroWolf
News Admin
News Credits: 1350

Postby budmaloney » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:29 am

Weapon: Sub-Machine Gun
I know the price is ridiculous. But honestly, this is G1 Optimus Prime almost 100%. The cartoon accurate G1. Or as close as you get. I'm amazed at how well it brings the character to life. Kibble yea totally. But come on, this is straight out of the cartoon. Maybe cab mode needs some white strip? I would actually thin down my collection first if I ever want to get this.
I have a bad habit of not replying on time....you've been warned
budmaloney
Minibot
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 6
Endurance: 8
Courage: 7
Firepower: 9
Skill: 7

Postby PadForce » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:16 am

I think the robot mode looks absolutely fantastic.

Cab mode is overly drab (although i would live with that).

What really gets me is the lack of individualy articulated fingers. On what looks like is going to cost £375 - £400.. that is a joke.

Wont be getting it, unfortunately.
PadForce

Postby Nemesis Maximo » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:40 am

Motto: "Always Be’s-ing and do’s-ing, never cheesing or choosing!"
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
PadForce wrote:What really gets me is the lack of individualy articulated fingers. On what looks like is going to cost £375 - £400.. that is a joke.

He appears to have index finger separated from the rest of his fingers, so he’ll still be able to manage the Optimus Prime Finger Point thing. Isn’t that the most important gesture Optimus ever makes aside from demanding faces?
Back at it again!
Marvel Legends Domino

SW's SilverHammer wrote:Eat my ass funpub.

Burn wrote:And this is for taking Nemesis Maximo seriously.
*high fives Silly in the face*

carytheone wrote:I can't be assed to do any better right now.
Nemesis Maximo
Gestalt
Alt Mode: Lounge Lizard
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 5
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10+

Postby PadForce » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:46 am

Nemesis Maximo wrote:
PadForce wrote:What really gets me is the lack of individualy articulated fingers. On what looks like is going to cost £375 - £400.. that is a joke.

He appears to have index finger separated from the rest of his fingers, so he’ll still be able to manage the Optimus Prime Finger Point thing. Isn’t that the most important gesture Optimus ever makes aside from demanding faces?

Yep agree that is the most important, but i think such a high end figure should certainly have a premium feature such as full articulation. My opinion of course,i understand some dont rate it due to risk of breakage, bit if im paying that much for a figure j want it to be able to do every and any niche pose... that wont be acomplised by a single index finger.
PadForce

Why MP-44 Optimus Prime's Price Varries from $300-$450

Postby william-james88 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:09 am

Unless you have been living under a rock recently, you probably know that Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime is the highest priced Transformer of all time, with an MSRP of 50,000 Yen, which is around the $450 USD mark depending on currency conversion.

Now, while that is the official price from Takara, not everyone will or has to pay that price. The MSRP, as in the US, is just a guide and a price point to extract other prices from (like the cost per unit to sellers). It is not necessarily the price on shelves and, in Japan, the retail market for Transformers usually has them at 15%-30% off the MSRP. So the actual retail price is consistently lower than the MSRP for non exclusive toys in Japan.

That is no different for this Optimus Prime. His current price on Japan's biggest toy retailer, Amazon Japan, is about 35,000 Yen, which is closer to the $300 USD mark and indeed 70% of the MSRP.

So then why are all the preorders we saw last week more like $450 USD? Well, the thing is that Takara can only sell Transformers toys in Japan. Hasbro owns that trademark for every other market on the planet and thus only Japanese vendors can buy directly from Takara. That means the price is as cheap as it gets but if someone outside Japan purchases from a Japanese seller, they will have to pay any shipping and import charges from Japan to their own country. I have an example below of an order placed for MP 44 Optimus Prime and you can see that while I as a Canadian can get him from a good price from a Japanese seller, Amazon Japan in this case, I still have to pay shipping (about $10) and import fees (about $50!!!!). Of course these fees can differ from country to country but the point is they are YOUR responsibility. In my example from Amazon Japan, importing this toy myself would come out to $360 USD.

And if your toy breaks, well you have to deal with the Japanese seller you got it from. Takara's customer service is useless to foreigners since they only support Japanese residents (since they only sell to the Japanese). My Takara MP Dinobot's head broke off and I had to deal with a Japanese seller for 3 months until I got a replacement. FUN!

So to help with all this importing business, domestic companies like Big Bad Toy Store or TF Source, will do all this importing for you. They cannot buy directly from Takara as they do not reside in Japan, so they have to get a middleman to buy from Takara at wholesale prices and then sell to them. And they have to deal with any import fees and above all shipping a crate of these from Japan to the US. These costs (middleman, duty, shipping) add up and a toy that would have been $300 locally becomes $450 elsewhere because the company offering this service to you (i.e. TF Source) needs to make some money. If you think it all sounds inneficient, well it is. That is the cost of market exclusive IP and region based contracts and it results in all these workarounds to get the toys we love, where money must be spent at every step.

But at least you dont have to bother with importing and if a piece is missing or something is wrong, you can speak to someone locally, who speaks english, and they will deal with the problem themselves.

Of course Hasbro can import and release the product themselves in the US, which they do in China through Hasbro Asia (we have an example below from Robot Kingdom), but as we have seen with the likes of Masterpiece Beast Wars Megatron, it usually comes out to the exact same amount as other local importers like TF Source.

Below is a breakdown of the different price points available for this toy depending on its location of purchase.

Low end price, import from Japanese at $304 USD

Mid Tier price, import from China at $370 USD

High end price, already imported for Americans at $450 USD

This is of course a very simplified look at the different markets for MP-44 Optimus Prime and certain details may have been glossed over but hopefully it helps you understand what the options are and why the price range can be so vast.

If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,

william-james88
News Staff

Postby Siger » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:37 am

Weapon: Light-Saber Sword
LMAO, New MP Optimus looks like he has a tiny head and a big ass diaper. :lol:
Siger
Fuzor

Re: Why MP-44 Optimus Prime's Price Varries from $300-$450

Postby Nemesis Maximo » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:05 am

william-james88 wrote:Article in progress

Low end price $304 USD: https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%88%E3%8 ... g=UTF8&me=

Ho dang, that’s a price I can get behind.

Not to nitpick here, but my conversions are saying that the USD price should be closer to $325-$330, not $304 with the yen about equal to .008797 USD. What source do you use to get the exchange rates?

I ask because you tend to be right in these situations.
Back at it again!
Marvel Legends Domino

Nemesis Maximo
Gestalt

Postby optimusxeno » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:08 am

Preordered on Amazon Japan https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B07L324QLS/. My total including shipping to the US came out at 35,455 Yen or about $314 USD
optimusxeno
Mini-Con

Postby william-james88 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:58 am

Nemesis Maximo wrote:
william-james88 wrote:Article in progress

Low end price $304 USD: https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%88%E3%8 ... g=UTF8&me=

Ho dang, that’s a price I can get behind.

Not to nitpick here, but my conversions are saying that the USD price should be closer to $325-$330, not $304 with the yen about equal to .008797 USD. What source do you use to get the exchange rates?

I ask because you tend to be right in these situations.

The price you see in the amazon lsiting includes Tax for Japanese customers, which you are exempted. When adding it to your cart you see that the actual price of the figure is 34400 Yen which is closer to 305 right this second.

william-james88
News Staff

Postby Cyberpath » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:12 pm

Anyone here have experience ordering MPs from Amazon Japan? How about experience with their customer service?

Waiting for the listing on HLJ in the meantime.
Cyberpath
City Commander
News Credits: 372

Postby Nemesis Maximo » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:16 pm

william-james88 wrote:The price you see in the amazon lsiting includes Tax for Japanese customers, which you are exempted. When adding it to your cart you see that the actual price of the figure is 34400 Yen which is closer to 305 right this second.

Back at it again!
Marvel Legends Domino

Nemesis Maximo
Gestalt

Postby william-james88 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:40 pm

Cyberpath wrote:Anyone here have experience ordering MPs from Amazon Japan? How about experience with their customer service?

I didnt have to deal with their customer service since there was never anything wrong with my order so far. I paid, got my item for cheap, it shipped quickly and went right through customs and I got it before anyone else. Was fun.

william-james88
News Staff

Postby RK_Striker_JK_5 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:17 pm

Motto: "'Til All are One!"
Weapon: Electron Gun
I have two great MP-Primes sitting about six feet from me. I can literally stand up, walk over, and grab them. Why would I get this overpriced one that looks like a step backwards from MP-10?
Not caring about scale since 1984. Just like Hasbro.
RK_Striker_JK_5
Faction Commander
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 10
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 6

Postby Quint » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:20 pm

It's an absolutely beautiful toy though, it has to be said.
Quint
Micromaster

Postby worldsgreatest » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:26 pm

Cyberpath wrote:Anyone here have experience ordering MPs from Amazon Japan? How about experience with their customer service?

No experience with customer service, but shipping is faster and cheaper than any other import site by far. Im in PA and shipments get to me in about 2 days. Sometimes 3.

Shipping on something like an MP car in like, $12.
worldsgreatest
Minibot
News Credits: 1

Postby blueridgefox » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:32 pm

All that is completely useless unless you can justify the price of previous releases. The high end has been $200(approximate) for years, MP Megatron was $230 and that was high but we accepted it because we needed a 10 inch scale Megatron. The price that BBTS and TFSource are asking is more than double of the current MP-10 that by the way, many folks are very satisfied with. This new MP Optimus looks very good, but damn... $450??? Another great example of the price gouging is the newly re-release MP Shockwave, original release a 18 or 20 months ago was $139 from TFSource and BBTS, now its $210? for the same figure??? darker color, whoopy-doo... I've dealt with TFsource and Bigbadtoystore customer service... much to be desired there... I appreciate the service they provide, but it's not like they are the only way to get these pieces... I'll take my chances with Amazon.jp and save $150... give me a break and stop trying to justify the prices and processes involved.

:michaelbay: :BOOM:
blueridgefox
Mini-Con

Postby GrangerPerry » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:32 pm

I’m probably going to have to buy this just because I love Megatron so much. Question though about Amazon Japan. I pre-ordered Beast Wars Megatron from Amazon Japan but can I pay for it? Or do I just have to wait until March when it’s being shipped to pay?
GrangerPerry
Micromaster

Postby chuckdawg1999 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:48 pm

Motto: "The man, the myth, the legend... yeah right."
Weapon: Saber Blade
worldsgreatest wrote:

No experience with customer service, but shipping is faster and cheaper than any other import site by far. Im in PA and shipments get to me in about 2 days. Sometimes 3.

Shipping on something like an MP car in like, $12.

Their customer service is just like Amazon US, helpful but they won't bend over backwards for you.
chuckdawg1999
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 317
Watch chuckdawg1999 on YouTube
Buy from chuckdawg1999 on eBay
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10
Endurance: 10
Firepower: 10
Skill: 10

Postby Aimless Misfire » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:49 pm

$300 is too high. There is no reason it has to be that high. It's a "NAME BRAND" thing. Transformers is popular & well known so they can gouge the **** out of the fans. If Transformers weren't that popular or well known this toy (yeah, I said "TOY" because no matter how you look at it, that's all it really is) would be about $60.

Don't agree? Well then you don't know how the world works & you've been living under a rock.
Aimless Misfire
Minibot

Postby Ironhidensh » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:39 pm

Motto: "Tell those damned kids to stay off my lawn!!!"
Weapon: Big Cannon
HLJ has him listed for $371.30 USD.
Card carrying grumpy old man.

Leonardo wrote:Take your lips off my pipe!
Ironhidensh
Faction Commander
News Credits: 25
Buy from Ironhidensh on eBay
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 4
Endurance: 10+
Skill: 9

Postby ZeldaTheSwordsman » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:40 pm

Motto: "Earthrise restock or riot"
No, something that size and so overly complicated it makes ROTF Leader Optimus look like a Throttlebot in comparison would NEVER MSRP for a paltry $60 in today's money. Brandflation is very much a rampant phenomenon, but fancy fiddly things with a lot of moving parts are still more costly to make.
WANT:
* Cybertron Galvatron key, missiles
* Omega Lock
* Primus Cyber Key, coattail panel
* Powerlinx Comettor
* Cyb Jetfire R gun and missile
* RiD Galvy dragon head, beast arms
* DotM Ironhide windshield, R hood assy.
* ROTF Jetfire R JTFR panel

Di Bonaventura is not a credible or trustworthy source. And most fans do like the diversity push, thanks.

Trading MOSC MMPR fliphead Pink Ranger for ER Fasttrack or SIEGE Refraktor
ZeldaTheSwordsman
Guardian Of Seibertron

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BWVS-01 OPTIMUS PRIMAL + MEGATRON Transformers Beast Wars Again Kingdom 2023 New"
BWVS-01 OPTIMUS PR ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WRECK-GAR Transformers Studio Series 86-09 Animated Movie Voyager 2021 New"
WRECK-GAR Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K2 RATTRAP Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Core Hasbro 2020 New"
WFC-K2 RATTRAP Tra ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-S16 PTERAXADON Transformers War for Cybertron Siege Battle Master 2019 New"
WFC-S16 PTERAXADON ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K28 GALVATRON fixed shoulders Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Leader 2021"
WFC-K28 GALVATRON ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #6 Cvr B IDW Comic 2019 BOLD NEW ERA SIEGE 6B (CA) McGuire-Smith"
TRANSFORMERS #6 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "FRENZY (RED) Transformers Studio Series 86 SS-115 Core Takara Tomy 2024 New"
NEW!
FRENZY (RED) Trans ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K33 SLAMMER Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe Hasbro 2022 New"
NEW!
WFC-K33 SLAMMER Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-E10 GRAPPLE Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Voyager Hasbro 2020 New"
NEW!
WFC-E10 GRAPPLE Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #1 Cover B (1st Print) IDW Comics 2019 BOLD NEW ERA SIEGE 1B"
TRANSFORMERS #1 Co ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K31 SHADOW PANTHER Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe 2021 New"
WFC-K31 SHADOW PAN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "JUNKHEAP Transformers Studio Series 86-14 Animated Movie Voyager 2022 New"
JUNKHEAP Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "KUP Transformers Buzzworthy Bumblebee Studio Series 86-02 Hasbro 2022 New"
KUP Transformers B ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BWVS-03 CHEETOR + WASPINATOR Transformers Beast Wars Again Kingdom Hasbro 2024"
BWVS-03 CHEETOR + ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Battleslash" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Megatron Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Fusion Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 11.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Snarl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Windblade" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Costanza Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "TRANSFORMERS PLATINUM EDITION HOT ROD JUNKION SCRAPHEAP WRECK GAR SET" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Ironhide Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titan Masters Overboard Action Figure" on AMAZON