This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime 3.0 Discussion Thread

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime 3.0 Discussion Thread

Postby william-james88 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:09 pm

Motto: "'till All Are One"
Octobotimus wrote:We need to show them with out wallets that we don't want these prices, not with forums. They will never care what we say on here, but they do care when they end up making less money.

For sure, but as the article shows, its too late. People did vote with their wallets and they voted yes to the most expensive Transformers product ever released by Takara.

joevill wrote::lol:

I was laughing too, hence why I just had to news this.
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

william-james88
News Staff
News Credits: 4499
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Re: The Most Expensive Transformers Toy from Takara, MP-44 Optimus Prime, is #1 Best Seller on Amazon

Postby megatronus » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:18 pm

Motto: "I would have waited an eternity for this."
Weapon: Temperature Variant H20 Gun
william-james88 wrote:We will leave you now with this fun comparison by fellow CSeibertronian Cyberpath between MP 10, MP 44 and the G1 cartoon.

Cyberpath wrote:[center]Image

I feel like this image is really unfair to MP10. He can get waaayyy closer to the iconic pose than that.
Cobotron wrote:Hey! You seemed to have attracted a wild Megatronus. They're hard to find, but boy are they fun when you catch one!
megatronus
Podcast Staff
News Credits: 112
Buy from megatronus on eBay

Re: Takara Tomy Transformers Masterpiece MP-44 Optimus Prime 3.0 Discussion Thread

Postby megatronus » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:21 pm

Case in point:

Cobotron wrote:Hey! You seemed to have attracted a wild Megatronus. They're hard to find, but boy are they fun when you catch one!
megatronus
Podcast Staff

Re: The Most Expensive Transformers Toy from Takara, MP-44 Optimus Prime, is #1 Best Seller on Amazon

Postby Cobotron » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:22 pm

Motto: "Free your mind, and your ass will follow!"
Weapon: Sword
megatronus wrote:
william-james88 wrote:We will leave you now with this fun comparison by fellow CSeibertronian Cyberpath between MP 10, MP 44 and the G1 cartoon.

Cyberpath wrote:

I feel like this image is really unfair to MP10. He can get waaayyy closer to the iconic pose than that.
Yeah! Cyberpath, I demand you post that kickass stop motion GIF you made of this scene with your MP-10. ;)
Enter the COLLECT-O-TRON
Burn wrote:
Agamemnon wrote:Let's get back to talking about Burn's mammoth snout flopping... :-s

Well I am Australian. It's kinda what we're known for.
Cobotron
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 41
Alt Mode: A Sleeping Bear
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 9
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10

Postby ZeldaTheSwordsman » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:25 pm

Motto: "Earthrise restock or riot"
^Quite. It's not even actually that hard a pose. Hell, the G1 Optimus toy can do it (at least above the waist) if holding a version of his rifle that has the peg where it should be.

william-james88 wrote:
Octobotimus wrote:We need to show them with out wallets that we don't want these prices, not with forums. They will never care what we say on here, but they do care when they end up making less money.

For sure, but as the article shows, its too late. People did vote with their wallets and they voted yes to the most expensive Transformers product ever released by Takara.

Like I said, Japanese collectors with more money than sense or taste.
WANT:
* Cybertron Galvatron key, missiles
* Omega Lock
* Primus Cyber Key, coattail panel
* Powerlinx Comettor
* Cyb Jetfire R gun and missile
* RiD Galvy dragon head, beast arms
* DotM Ironhide windshield, R hood assy.
* ROTF Jetfire R JTFR panel

Di Bonaventura is not a credible or trustworthy source. And most fans do like the diversity push, thanks.

Trading MOSC MMPR fliphead Pink Ranger for ER Fasttrack or SIEGE Refraktor
ZeldaTheSwordsman
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Colt » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:27 pm

Seems a little too biased against MP-10. It feels like it was purposely posed bad to make MP-44 look better.
Colt
Mini-Con

Postby Cyberpath » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:29 pm

It has nothing to do with loyalty to Takara. People love this character, especially in this form, they want him; the company knows this and is making bank.

I have a feeling that quite a few of the people saying that they won't buy him, will get him eventually. Whether they'll jump on board till August, or get him as a gift from a loved one, or look for him later on eBay, or get an eventual reissue, or something. Wait and see. I was right about him being a top seller. ;)

megatronus wrote:I feel like this image is really unfair to MP10. He can get waaayyy closer to the iconic pose than that.

I got you.

Cyberpath
City Commander
News Credits: 372

Postby Cyberpath » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:38 pm

Colt wrote:Seems a little too biased against MP-10. It feels like it was purposely posed bad to make MP-44 look better.

It's from a magazine piece promoting MP-10.

Cyberpath
City Commander
News Credits: 372

Postby Nemesis Maximo » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:41 pm

Motto: "Always Be’s-ing and do’s-ing, never cheesing or choosing!"
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
Cyberpath wrote:It has nothing to do with loyalty to Takara. People love this character, especially in this form, they want him; the company knows this and is making bank.

I have a feeling that quite a few of the people saying that they won't buy him, will get him eventually. Whether they'll jump on board till August, or get him as a gift from a loved one, or look for him later on eBay, or get an eventual reissue, or something. Wait and see. I was right about him being a top seller. ;)

I smell what you’re cooking, Cyber, and I’m with ya. Haters gonna wait, but but only so long.
Back at it again!
Marvel Legends Domino

SW's SilverHammer wrote:Eat my ass funpub.

Burn wrote:And this is for taking Nemesis Maximo seriously.
*high fives Silly in the face*

carytheone wrote:I can't be assed to do any better right now.
Nemesis Maximo
Gestalt
Alt Mode: Lounge Lizard
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 7

Postby ZeldaTheSwordsman » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:49 pm

I'm not. If I sock away for an MP Optimus it'll be MP-10. Unless they make one that's an actual improvement instead of this waste of plastic.
WANT:
* Omega Lock
* Powerlinx Comettor

Di Bonaventura is not a credible or trustworthy source. And most fans do like the diversity push, thanks.

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Burn » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:07 pm

Motto: "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings to randomly click things in the Admin Panel to see what it breaks."
Even if I won the lotto and had the money to burn, I'd still be questioning whether it's worth spending that much on a figure that I won't be transforming.
Burn
Forum Admin
News Credits: 226

Postby megatronus » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:09 pm

Burn wrote:Even if I won the lotto and had the money to burn, I'd still be questioning whether it's worth spending that much on a figure that I won't be transforming.

I'm warming to MP44 and I hate myself for it.
megatronus
Podcast Staff

Postby Randomhero » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:25 pm

Too many people attempting to justify it or not.

If you want it and can afford it, buy it. If you want it but can’t. Do as I said, save up here and there. Use a portion from taxes. Whatever. It’s still 9 months from release(August right?). If you absolutely can’t than it’s not meant to be. It’s jusy another Optimus prime. If it’s just gonna sit on a shelf and be dusted every couple months than don’t.

Trying to justify on it or not is stupid to me. At the end of the day if you feel that you will not get your enjoyments worth than you have your answer.

Just my two cents. I’m just getting so tired of the comments that are repeatedly the same I guess.
Last edited by Randomhero on Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randomhero
Gestalt
News Credits: 3

Postby shajaki » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:48 pm

Motto: "A man who wants nothing is invincible."
I jumped on the Amazon.jp preorder :roll:
(c'mon now, we all knew I would)

You know what I really dislike about 44... in truck mode there's no white stripe:

I never realised it wasn't present in the cartoon, so seeing 44 stripeless was off-putting. I mean, it's my bad, but it doesn't match what I picture in my head. 8-}
shajaki
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 293
Buy from shajaki on eBay

Postby Randomhero » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:50 pm

shajaki wrote:I jumped on the Amazon.jp preorder :roll:
(c'mon now, we all knew I would)

You know what I really dislike about 44... in truck mode there's no white stripe:

I never realised it wasn't present in the cartoon, so seeing 44 stripeless was off-putting. I mean, it's my bad, but it doesn't match what I picture in my head. 8-}

I’m having dejavu of Ultra Magnus and his red bumper from a few years ago...
Randomhero
Gestalt
News Credits: 3

Postby Aimless Misfire » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:09 pm

This just in: Next Transformers Masterpiece figure will be $950.

Addiction + stupidity - self control talks even louder than money.
Aimless Misfire
Minibot

Postby ZeldaTheSwordsman » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:12 pm

On that screencap clipping in the comparison you can make out the outline of where the stripe ought to be. I think a Masterpiece should capture the essence of the cartoon depiction without stooping to its omissions and errors.
WANT:
* Omega Lock
* Powerlinx Comettor

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Nemesis Maximo » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:22 pm

Motto: "Always Be’s-ing and do’s-ing, never cheesing or choosing!"
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:On that screencap clipping in the comparison you can make out the outline of where the stripe ought to be. I think a Masterpiece should capture the essence of the cartoon depiction without stooping to its omissions and errors.

What you think and what Takara thinks are two different things. The goal of the Masterpiece series is to capture what the characters looked like in the original cartoon, which is the most important work of fiction for all of Transformers.

You can say all you want how you don’t agree with the direction of the line, but you can’t seriously tell me you don’t think that what they’ve accomplished is anything short of amazing. It looks almost exactly as Optimus Prime was presented on the show.
Back at it again!
Marvel Legends Domino

SW's SilverHammer wrote:Eat my ass funpub.

Burn wrote:And this is for taking Nemesis Maximo seriously.
*high fives Silly in the face*

carytheone wrote:I can't be assed to do any better right now.
Nemesis Maximo
Gestalt
Alt Mode: Lounge Lizard
Intelligence: 8
Endurance: 6

Postby ZeldaTheSwordsman » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:57 pm

I think the extent to which they took that looks stupid. It's overengineering and I personally find it cringeworthy especially in truck mode.
The cartoon is important and the only G1 continuity I care for, but I don't think toys should be dumbed down to the limitations of its animation, especially when A. The animation was trying its best to portray things as shiny within its limits and B. this dumbing down paradoxically overcomplicates a toy as is the case here.
WANT:
* Omega Lock
* Powerlinx Comettor

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Emerje » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:03 pm

Motto: "Spellcheck's antithesis."
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:I think there must be a lot of Japanese collectors with more money than sense. Or taste.

Japanese collectors have a different mindset from a lot of western collectors. Where we tend to try to get as much as we can on our shelves and do the biggest and best displays we can, that's not all that practical in Japan. A lot of typical collectors either live at home or live in small one-room apartments (literally one room and a water closet, you go to a bathhouse to bathe) with very limited space for collecting. Some collectors have their character shrines and maybe a bookshelf and not much more. Collecting isn't really about retention it's about the experience. For big and/or expensive figures they'll buy it, enjoy it for a while and then sell it off if they need the space or something better comes along. Places like Mandarake and Jungle thrive on this sort of collector mentality. I'm positive when MP-44 hits we'll see a lot of secondhand MP-10s hit the used market in Japan.

Emerje
Emerje
News Staff
News Credits: 235
Alt Mode: Lobster Moose
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 4
Endurance: 8
Firepower: 3
Skill: 6

Postby Rodimus Knight » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:24 pm

You can also blame Hasbro for the price too. Since we never know which Masterpieces will be released by Hasbro, people run out and buy the Takara one. The demand is there, they can charge more.
Then when you get the whole Rodimus fiasco, with Hasbro only releasing the Hot Rod part and no trailer, now you have collectors going to Takara just in case Hasbro does release the new Optimus without the trailer.
Rodimus Knight
Pretender
News Credits: 2

Postby Ironhidensh » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:05 pm

Motto: "Tell those damned kids to stay off my lawn!!!"
Weapon: Big Cannon
megatronus wrote:
Burn wrote:Even if I won the lotto and had the money to burn, I'd still be questioning whether it's worth spending that much on a figure that I won't be transforming.

I found the amazon price tempting as hell, and still do, but I set a firm $250 limit for myself, for any figure, and I'm going to hold to it. The struggle is real though.
Card carrying grumpy old man.

Leonardo wrote:Take your lips off my pipe!
Ironhidensh
Faction Commander
News Credits: 25
Buy from Ironhidensh on eBay
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 4
Endurance: 10+
Skill: 9

Postby Hellscream9999 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:36 pm

Motto: "Never forgive, never forget."
Weapon: Black Magic
Ironhidensh wrote:
megatronus wrote:

I found the amazon price tempting as hell, and still do, but I set a firm $250 limit for myself, for any figure, and I'm going to hold to it. The struggle is real though.

Yeah, I think amazon knocking off $150 makes him much more reasonable to people, and if it doesn't cost a ton to ship, then, you know what, good for them, I'm not gonna hold that against anyone :D
I am not a G1 fan, please treat my opinions as such.

william-james88 wrote:If ever Sabrblade decides to go on vacation, I am glad to know we can rely on you.
Hellscream9999
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 174
Alt Mode: Skeletal Dragon
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Courage: ???
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: Infinity

Postby TulioDude » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:59 pm

Motto: "Never doubt the awesomess."
Weapon: Energo-Sword
Cyberpath wrote:

I feel like Sideswipe doesnt fit as much anymore
Then again he was made with same design thoughs as MP10

There is nothing wrong with wanting cartoon accurate toys,but how far are we willing to?I wonder if vehicles are gone get cartoony too
Silverwing wrote:Also, I feel compelled to give the obligatory: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay:
One for each year of the Movieverse's decade strong tenure. Here's to a few more explosive years!

Here is my DeviantArt page and my Tumblr blog.
TulioDude
Gestalt
News Credits: 6
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 9
Endurance: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 8

Postby ZeldaTheSwordsman » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:10 pm

Sideswipe, they had to keep the mold usable for the more toy-based Red Alert, whose hood doesn't get all squashed up like that on his robot mode nor do his tires get as hidden. And they had to keep him (and Sunstreaker) acceptable to Lamborghini. And honestly, I think he's the better for it.

Meanwhile, between the blandness from omitting the stripe and the mutilation and overcomplication done to disappear the tires in robot mode, MP-44 is the second-worst depiction of G1 Optimus' truck mode ever (first place is a 3-way tie between Hybrid Style, Robot Masters, and Classics Deluxe although THS-01 at least doesn't blandify the cab and trailer). And you can't even call the cab on MP-44 cartoon-accurate even with the stupid omission of the stripe, thanks to the ridiculously flat fuel tanks and the mess of exposed kibble on the bed! Full cartoon accuracy would require legs that looked just like the original toy's, front and back, in both modes. And hell, have those open up at the back and you'd be able to have the tires tilt 90 degrees and slide in and be hidden without all the overcomplication!
Last edited by ZeldaTheSwordsman on Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WANT:
* Omega Lock
* Powerlinx Comettor

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Guardian Of Seibertron

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ENERGON SABER Transformers Energon Class complete + more 2004 230427D **AS-IS**"
ENERGON SABER Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SCAVENGER + ROLLBAR Transformers Armada Max-Con complete 2002 231209A"
SCAVENGER + ROLLBA ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Cybertron Burger King Fast Food Premium 2005 230719B"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS ARMADA #6 Dreamwave Comics 2002 (W) Furman (A) Lee"
TRANSFORMERS ARMAD ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Energon Volume 1 COMIC / PRODUCT CATALOG 2004 Optimus Prime Hasbro"
Transformers Energ ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "HOT SHOT Transformers Cybertron Legends of Cybertron complete 2005 230719A"
HOT SHOT Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MEGATRON Transformers Cybertron Legends of Cybertron complete 2005 230719A"
MEGATRON Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Cybertron SPEED PLANET MAP catalog poster 2005"
Transformers Cyber ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WILDRIDER Transformers Legacy Deluxe Stunticon Menasor Hasbro 2022 New"
WILDRIDER Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "RUNAMUCK Transformers Cybertron deluxe complete + key Hasbro 2005 231102A"
RUNAMUCK Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SCOURGE Transformers Legacy Velocitron Speedia 500 RID Leader Hasbro 2022 New"
SCOURGE Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DESTRUCTION MINI-CON TEAM Transformers Armada complete Hasbro 2002 231209A"
DESTRUCTION MINI-C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "PREDACON W/ SIDE BURN + SKID-Z Transformers Armada Max-Con complete 2003 231209A"
PREDACON W/ SIDE B ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Dinobot GRIMLOCK Transformers Armada RID Dinobots complete + more 211023A"
Dinobot GRIMLOCK T ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Exclusive Cyber Battalion Class Shockwave Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Misfire and Aimless" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Cutthroat" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumble Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Hyperfire and Blurr" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Protectobot Groove Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Titans Return Legends Class Autobot Cosmos" on AMAZON