This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Newly Discovered Concept Art from the Generation 1 Transformers Cartoon: Ravage, Blue Bluestreak, Mi

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Newly Discovered Concept Art from the Generation 1 Transformers Cartoon: Ravage, Blue Bluestreak, Mi

Postby Bronzewolf » Sun May 27, 2018 2:49 pm

Motto: ""What Would Sky Lynx Do?""
Weapon: Double-Barreled Solid Sonic Energy Blaster
Some pretty cool news has broken today courtesy of Instagram account CerealGeek7, who recently acquired some concept art of the transformers G1 Cartoon and has decided to share! In the three different posts on his Instagram, he shows off unused designs/color schemes for Ravage, Mirage, and most importantly, Bluestreak! Streaky's especially interesting because it shows that at some point in the production stage, Bluestreak was intended to have his Diaclone Blue color scheme. As opposed to the silver and black color scheme, which he ended up with in both toy and cartoon form.
Mirage is also interesting, as he had a totally different character model than what we saw in the final product. Check them out below!

----------
#Rodgate
#Braingate
#Domegate
:DAFT-PUNK-GM: :DAFT-PUNK-HAPPY:
Bronzewolf
Brainmaster
News Credits: 419
Alt Mode: 2016 Aston Martin Vanquish
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 5
Endurance: 7
Courage: 6
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Re: Newly Discovered Concept Art from the Generation 1 Transformers Cartoon: Ravage, Blue Bluestreak, Mi

Postby Quantum Surge » Sun May 27, 2018 2:53 pm

Motto: "I'm real when it's useful."
Weapon: Twin Swords
Ravage looks like a KO but Bluestreak looks nice in his color. Makes no sense he has the name but WASN'T blue!
Action Figure Wishlist:

G1 Deadend, Wildrider, Breakdown w/Menasor fists, feet, waist, chest, mask, and weapons
POTP (Optimal Optimus, Rodimus Unicronus)
Titans Return (Topspin, Octone)
Cybertron Galvatron
Go! Hunter Optimus Prime
ROTF Mindwipe, Lockdown
HasLab Unicron
Quantum Surge
Targetmaster
News Credits: 4
Watch Quantum Surge on YouTube
Alt Mode: Batmobile
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10

Re: Newly Discovered Concept Art from the Generation 1 Transformers Cartoon: Ravage, Blue Bluestreak, Mi

Postby Sabrblade » Sun May 27, 2018 3:09 pm

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
Keep your eyes peeled for possibly much more to come. ;)
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 434
Strength: 7
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7

Postby Ultra Markus » Sun May 27, 2018 4:16 pm

Motto: "“You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.” - Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight"
Weapon: 16 Cannons
im glad they didnt go with the dark blue and red for Ravage it looked a little off
looks like the diaclone Blue Streak colors was their first choice
and Mirage looks like a night from King Arthur's court
Ultra Markus
Gestalt
Alt Mode: the biggest baddest thing ever
Firepower: 10

Postby starfish » Mon May 28, 2018 1:47 am

Just putting it out there, but here’s my theory about the Bluestreak colour swap.

Bluestreak was originally supposed to be blue, hence the name. The box art showed a blue toy, the catalogues (presumably using a sample figure) showed a blue toy, and now we know that Sunbow made a blue animation model of him.

I can’t think of any reason why anyone would want to purposely change his colour at such a late date. Too many blue characters already? Well that doesn’t wash because we had numerous white characters in that first year (Prowl / Ratchet / Wheeljack) and a bunch of red ones (Prime/Sideswipe/Ironhide/Cliffjumper). I can’t see any reason not to have given Mirage a ‘blue buddy’.

So yeah, it looks to me like a mistake. Hasbro ordered a bunch of blue Bluestreaks from Takara and ended up with a whole shipment of grey ones.

There are two reasons why this could have happened.

1) A simple mix-up. Wasn’t there also a (possibly apocryphal) tale about Takara making a figure too big because they’d misread the sizes on the specs that Hasbro had sent them?

2) This was overstock. There are examples of red Sunstreakers and white Astrotrains being sold in Transformers packaging, as old Diaclone stock was used up first before manufacturing new figures. Maybe Takara were just about to release an all-grey version of the Datsun themselves, made thousands of copies, and then basically told Hasbro that it would be more cost-effective to use the figures already made, rather than put the blue one into production.

Of course, I could be totally wrong, but that’s my theory anyway.
starfish
Combiner
News Credits: 2

Postby Emerje » Mon May 28, 2018 7:23 am

Motto: "Spellcheck's antithesis."
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
The name Bluestreak isn't actually about his color, but his personality trait. To "talk a blue streak" means a person is talkative and tends to ramble, a trait he had in G1. They certainly could have chosen to use the blue mold, and the box art did seem to indicate that they intended to at once point, but they chose to make the name unrelated to the color while still being character appropriate.

What's even stranger is that the all silver figure is unique to the character and the Transformers line and doesn't appear in the Diaclone line which had both the blue and cartoon-accurate color schemes. Definitely not a result of Takara overstock.

It's sort of like how Hound doesn't have anything to do with dogs, but rather likely comes from the phrase "hound of war", being an army Jeep and all.

Emerje
Emerje
News Staff
News Credits: 229
Alt Mode: Lobster Moose
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 4
Firepower: 3
Skill: 6

Postby Cobotron » Mon May 28, 2018 10:57 am

Motto: "Free your mind, and your ass will follow!"
Weapon: Sword
Emeje, I always associated the name Hound with his designation of scout, or tracker. Not splitting hairs, just think it's neat how the name works on many levels.

So let's add Bluestreak not being blue to the already long list of mistakes in the G1 cartoon.
:lol: Just kidding! But, it is my favorite deco on my most favorite toy.

While I've never been a fan of the G1 cartoon, I do always love seeing conceptual designs and ideas that didn't quite make the cut.
I hope we get to see some more stuff like this.
Enter the COLLECT-O-TRON
Burn wrote:
Agamemnon wrote:Let's get back to talking about Burn's mammoth snout flopping... :-s

Well I am Australian. It's kinda what we're known for.
Cobotron
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 41
Alt Mode: A Sleeping Bear
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 9
Courage: 9
Firepower: 5

Postby Ultra Markus » Mon May 28, 2018 11:00 am

Motto: "“You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.” - Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight"
Emerje wrote:The name Bluestreak isn't actually about his color, but his personality trait. To "talk a blue streak" means a person is talkative and tends to ramble, a trait he had in G1. They certainly could have chosen to use the blue mold, and the box art did seem to indicate that they intended to at once point, but they chose to make the name unrelated to the color while still being character appropriate.

What's even stranger is that the all silver figure is unique to the character and the Transformers line and doesn't appear in the Diaclone line which had both the blue and cartoon-accurate color schemes. Definitely not a result of Takara overstock.

It's sort of like how Hound doesn't have anything to do with dogs, but rather likely comes from the phrase "hound of war", being an army Jeep and all.

Emerje

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... e%20streak
Ultra Markus
Gestalt

Postby Ultra Markus » Mon May 28, 2018 10:29 pm

starfish wrote:Just putting it out there, but here’s my theory about the Bluestreak colour swap.

Bluestreak was originally supposed to be blue, hence the name. The box art showed a blue toy, the catalogues (presumably using a sample figure) showed a blue toy, and now we know that Sunbow made a blue animation model of him.

I can’t think of any reason why anyone would want to purposely change his colour at such a late date. Too many blue characters already? Well that doesn’t wash because we had numerous white characters in that first year (Prowl / Ratchet / Wheeljack) and a bunch of red ones (Prime/Sideswipe/Ironhide/Cliffjumper). I can’t see any reason not to have given Mirage a ‘blue buddy’.

So yeah, it looks to me like a mistake. Hasbro ordered a bunch of blue Bluestreaks from Takara and ended up with a whole shipment of grey ones.

There are two reasons why this could have happened.

1) A simple mix-up. Wasn’t there also a (possibly apocryphal) tale about Takara making a figure too big because they’d misread the sizes on the specs that Hasbro had sent them?

2) This was overstock. There are examples of red Sunstreakers and white Astrotrains being sold in Transformers packaging, as old Diaclone stock was used up first before manufacturing new figures. Maybe Takara were just about to release an all-grey version of the Datsun themselves, made thousands of copies, and then basically told Hasbro that it would be more cost-effective to use the figures already made, rather than put the blue one into production.

Of course, I could be totally wrong, but that’s my theory anyway.

maybe they knew smokescreen was going to be in the future and decided that they didnt need two blue fairlady Z's
Ultra Markus
Gestalt

More Previously Unseen Art from Generation 1 Transformers Cartoon

Postby Va'al » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:30 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
We've been in touch with James Eatock, aka cerealgeek77 on Instagram, who first uncovered some original concept and animation art from the Sunbow Generation 1 Transformers animated series - as we covered back here - with some additional art from the batch!

The images below show not only a colour test for Decepticon cassette Rumble (sic), but also two preliminary sketches for what will eventually become the Panini sticker album covers, too! Check it all out below.

Here is one of two never-before-seen sketches that would evolve into the memorable promotional illustration that would adorn the cover of the Transformers Panini sticker album

Here is the second of two Transformers sketches that would eventually evolve into the memorable promotional illustration that would adorn the Panini sticker album!

Robots who diss guys! :) - Never-before-seen TOY colour scheme for Rumble’s cartoon model!
Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Alpha Dominus » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:40 am

Motto: ""Strength through adversity.""
Weapon: Double-Barreled, Armor-Piercing Particle Beam Cann...
I love it! Besides the way dynamic compositions they kinda remind me of the doodles you'd see on me and my friends denim trapper keepers. And I love those big heads!
Alpha Dominus
Fuzor
News Credits: 1
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 3

Postby sto_vo_kor_2000 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:46 am

Motto: "Today is a good day to die......but the day is not yet over!"
Bronzewolf wrote:especially interesting because it shows that at some point in the production stage, Bluestreak was intended to have his Diaclone Blue color scheme. As opposed to the silver and black color scheme, which he ended up with in both toy and cartoon form.
Small correction there buddy

The G1 release of Bluestreak never came in the colors of silver and black...... The car mode was all silver

It wasn’t until they started doing G1 reissues in anime colors that he was finally released in silver and black

By the way fantastic find
Predaprince wrote:I am very thankful to have posters like sto_vo_kor_2000 who is so energetic about improving others' understanding and enjoyment of the TF universe
Stormrider wrote:You often add interesting insights to conversations that makes the fledglings think and challenges even the sharpest minds

T-Macksimus wrote:I consider you and editor to be amongst the most "scholarly" in terms of your knowledge, demeanor and general approach

sto_vo_kor_2000
Guardian Of Seibertron

Re: More Previously Unseen Art from Generation 1 Transformers Cartoon

Postby sto_vo_kor_2000 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:17 am

Motto: "Today is a good day to die......but the day is not yet over!"
starfish wrote:Just putting it out there, but here’s my theory about the Bluestreak colour swap.

Bluestreak was originally supposed to be blue, hence the name

Naha

He was actually given the name from an old saying which was supposed to be a reference to talking with great speed and intensity hence the old term “talking a blue streak “

Va'al wrote:The images below show not only a colour test for Decepticon cassette Rumble (sic), but also two preliminary sketches for what will eventually become the Panini sticker album covers, too! Check it all out below.
I guess depending on how early in production this may have been that could be designs intended for frenzy not rumble, remember even the Bible for the transformer series had rumble listed as the red one
Predaprince wrote:I am very thankful to have posters like sto_vo_kor_2000 who is so energetic about improving others' understanding and enjoyment of the TF universe
Stormrider wrote:You often add interesting insights to conversations that makes the fledglings think and challenges even the sharpest minds

T-Macksimus wrote:I consider you and editor to be amongst the most "scholarly" in terms of your knowledge, demeanor and general approach

sto_vo_kor_2000
Guardian Of Seibertron

Re: More Previously Unseen Art from Generation 1 Transformers Cartoon

Postby Jelze Bunnycat » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:09 pm

Motto: "The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance."
sto_vo_kor_2000 wrote:

Bluestreak was originally supposed to be blue, hence the name

Naha

He was actually given the name from an old saying which was supposed to be a reference to talking with great speed and intensity hence the old term “talking a blue streak “

Not to beat a dead horse, but are you at least going to entertain the possibility that the blue one was originally planned for US release given the art and the blue one appearing in catalogs, a bio was built around it making it a clever play on words (something the line did on a regular basis), but for whatever reason the colors were changed to all silver later? Takara was only just starting deals with Hasbro, so there may have been a few... kinks here and there.
The resident Rewind... well, half of one :lol:

- Jelze Bunnycat =:3

Looking for:
- TR Furos (Hardhead's head) and Crashbash (lost him :()
- PotP Punch head
- TR Galvatron right arm (the gun one)
- CW Brake-Neck/UW Wildrider, CW Offroad
- TR Twinferno & Grotusque
- Greenlight, Lancer and PotP Elita-1 (plus repro Victorion hands and feet?)
Jelze Bunnycat
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 241
Strength: 5
Speed: 8
Endurance: 7
Skill: 5

Postby Michael Alex Kawa » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:18 am

Motto: "I am the most dangerous!"
Weapon: Blue Bolt
I have mentioned this before somewhere on these forums, but the image that was on the Transformers Panini sticker album cover was also the design for a wall poster that I saw in 1985. I remember it cause I wanted it so bad for my room but for one reason or other was not able to get it. Besides seeing it once in a Woolworth's, it was also in one of these book sale catalogs they used to have in elementary schools, at least in the schools I went to.
Anyways I love seeing concept art, I don't know why I just find it so cool.
I have always found it odd though that Bluestreak's :BOT: colors were changed, not just because of the name, but the fact that those were the original Diaclone colors, but I guess Sunstreaker's colors were also changed (among others) so maybe it is not that odd. But he did appear in the catalog with the Diaclone colors, so it still makes it sorta strange they were changed.
Follow me or Add me on Facebook and YouTube
Am I seriously the only one here that uses my real name. lol :P
Michael Alex Kawa
Vehicon
Watch Michael Alex Kawa on YouTube
Alt Mode: Panzer IV Ausf. D tank.
Endurance: 9

eBay auctions for Transformers G1 production art!

Postby ZeroWolf » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:20 am

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Weapon: Battle Blades
Thanks to an email from James Eatock, aka cerealgeek77 on Instagram, who first uncovered some original concept and animation art from the Sunbow Generation 1 Transformers animated series - as we covered back here and here - We've learned of a series of eBay auctions he's setup selling two pieces of Sunbow Generation 1 Transformers production art and two preduction copies he found with the others. Check the auction links below!

Transformers G1 original production art Episode 1 the Ark and Mount St Hilary

Transformers G1 original production COPY Cybertron*

Transformers G1 original production COPY The Ark launch site*

Transformers G1 original production art Episode 1 Deception Ship

* Please read the item descriptions on these.

Also James hopes to raise enough funds to be able to bring more production art to the fans, with his set on never before seen model sheets from 1986's Transformers: The Movie!
Got news for Seibertron? Share it here!
ZeroWolf
News Admin
News Credits: 1350

More Original Concept Art from Generation 1 Transformers Cartoon: Brawn, Sunstreaker, Ark, Cybertron

Postby Va'al » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:02 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
The last time we heard from James Eatock / cerealgeek77 back here, he had some more concept art for the Generation 1 Transformers animated series - and we've been contacted yet again for another batch of art!

This time, the auctions up on eBay feature the likes of Hound, Brawn, Sunstreaker, Ironhide, Cliffjumper, the inside and outside of the Ark as it crashed on Earth, the oil rig from the first episode in the series, the Cybertron terminal, and a lovely cel print of Cybertron itself, in its lineart glory.

Not included in the auctions, as James will be keeping it for himself, is a concept piece for Cliffjumper, as explained below:

Here I present a never-before-seen concept illustration (circa 1983) of the Autobot CLIFFJUMPER by Marvel Productions! :) - Included in the huge batch of Marvel Productions' Transformers artwork I acquired were a bunch of concept illustrations which appear to be the EARLIEST renditions of certain characters - These illustrations were definitely created in-house at Marvel Productions, and were definitely based on the toys - HOWEVER, it would appear that the artist was taking HUGE liberties with their robot forms - Those I've shown these illustrations to agree that it's quite possible that they relate to the shelved pilot-script that Jeffry Scott wrote titled "A Robot's Best Friend Is His Dog"

Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby RiddlerJ » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:16 am

street lamp Soundwave :-D
RiddlerJ
Godmaster

Postby Decepticon Stryker » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:07 am

Motto: "Peace through Tyranny, Tyranny through Strength, Strength through Stealth"
Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
I've always wondered how those were streetlamps... Now I know. And knowing is half the battle. :GIJOE:
I have a blog now. Check it out:
http://www.hydrogenham.blogspot.com

Decepticon Stryker
Headmaster
News Credits: 3
Alt Mode: Cybertronian Jet and Pickup car
Speed: 9
Courage: 7
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Postby Nacelle » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:14 pm

Weapon: Flame-Thrower
The bluestreak picture looks a lot like the one from tf prime (the toyline).

Nacelle
Micromaster

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS PREVIEW 2nd ptg Optimus Prime var Dreamwave Comics 2002 G1 (CA) Lee"
TRANSFORMERS PREVI ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #15 Marvel Comics 1986 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 230926N"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #3 Cvr D 1:25 Image Comics 2023 JUN230378 3D (CA) Darboe (W) Kirkman"
VOID RIVALS #3 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers ALL HAIL MEGATRON #9 Cvr A IDW Comics 2009 9A (CA) Coller"
Transformers ALL H ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "COBRA COMMANDER #1 Cvr D 1:25 Image Comics 2024 1D 1123IM200 (CA) Epting"
COBRA COMMANDER #1 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Best of HOT ROD #1 IDW Comics 2022 MAR220507 (CA) Biggie"
Transformers Best ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #1 Cvr B Image Comics 2023 0823IM287 1B (CA) Johnson"
TRANSFORMERS #1 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #10 Marvel Comics 1985 (CA) Baker (W) Budiansky 210422C"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #9 1st ptg Marvel Comics 1985 (CA) Manley (W) Budiansky 230915B"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Best of ARCEE #1 IDW Comics 2022 JUL221657 (CA) Biggie"
Transformers Best ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #57 Marvel Comics 1989 (W) Furman (A/CA) Delbo 210422B"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers LAST BOT STANDING #2 Cvr C IDW Comics 2022 FEB228624 2C SidVenBlu"
Transformers LAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #1 Cvr B Image Comics 2023 1B GI JOE 1023IM260 (CA) Aja (W) WIlliamson"
DUKE #1 Cvr B Imag ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #9 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 AUG210584 9B (CA) Tramontano"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #346 - Gas Station Jamboree
Twincast / Podcast #346:
"Gas Station Jamboree"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 23rd, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Energon Igniters Nitro Bumblebee Action Figure - Included Core Powers Driving Action - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 7-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Novastar" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Terrorcon Blot" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Elita-1" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Overlord Decepticon Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Costanza Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Nightbeat" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Chop Shop Figure" on AMAZON