This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Top 5 Transformers Toys with Mythological Alt Modes

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Postby william-james88 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:14 am

Motto: "'till All Are One"
Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. These are my opinions (just like movie or game reviews hosted by sites are still just the opinion of one person) so what matters most is what you guys think of the topic or list, and I hope to see your own lists or comments on omissions and ranking. Let's have fun! All previous lists can be found here.

Just to precise, this is not a list about the top 5 mythological alt modes, but instead of certain amazing toys which turn into mythological creatures. This means that there can be more than one dragon on this list (tee hee), one of the most awesome alt modes in the Transformers brand.

5. Transformers Beast Wars Transmetal 2 Tigerhawk (Tigerfalcon) as a Winged Tiger

A common theme among mythological creatures is the idea of hybrids, like the centaur or sphinx. When it comes to Transformers, this becomes the ideal occasion to give a beast mode a flight ability. You can never go wrong with wings, they will make any animal look more majestic. I realize that most toys on this list end up with wings. What makes this toy extra special is that the hybrid idea of the winged Tiger is plot specific to Beast Wars and symbolizes the union of Tigertron and Airazor in the same body. It was special to see them return to the show and united in a way that felt unprecedented for any kid's show. The toy takes it up a notch by giving an added eagle motif with the optional battle mask that you can add over the tiger. The robot mode is also absolutely gorgeous, even though it can appear rather busy. Both the tiger and eagle beast mode parts are showcased in the robot mode giving him the look of a regal warrior.

4. Transformers Robots In Disguise Megatron (Gigatron) as a two headed Dragon

The second best Dragon Megatron out there, but still an incredible toy. I love the wings and colour scheme adding to the regal nature of this toy. Part of the lore is that Dragons love treasure so all the chrome and him being ornamented in what seems to be a jeweled body fits well. Plus it's quite crazy that this mythological form is only one of his many many modes and he pulls it off as well as if it was his only alt mode.

3. Transformers Beast Wars Silverbolt as a Winged Wolf aka Pterolykos

Aside from possibly some better sculpting, I fail to see just how much a modern day interpretation of this design could improve so much on the original toy. It helps that the show model is so close to the toy, making this toy quite show accurate. He has an excellent wing mechanic with launching missiles (this is back when you could expect missiles from a deluxe class toy) which work well as clubs and conceal themselves perfectly as wings. I really like how this toy really is a hybrid rather than simply a wold with wings with the talons which work so well as the robot mode feet.

2. Transformers Beast Wars Transmetal 2 Megatron (Dragon Megatron)

I just love the dragon mode which screams Tolkien. Plus you have the poseable neck (which you can puppeteer yourself), flapping wings and fire missiles shooting from his mouth. Everything you want from a dragon transformer is there with the added Transmetal finish (once again invoking Smaug's gold encrusted body). The transformation is one of my favourites with the y axis becoming the x axis and the wings becoming so imposing in robot mode (due to the height lowering). This is the regal look Beast Wars Megatron was born to have, yesss.

1. Transformers Cybertron Scourge (Flame Convoy) as a Hydra

While dragon alt modes are probably the alt modes I will get most excited for, I couldn't help but fall in love with Scourge's design in Transformers Cybertron. I like how he keeps his great stature for both modes and just how broad and imposing the robot mode is, making him truly merit his Convoy title in Japan. The weapon also kicks major ass by being this war hammer and sickle hybrid. The Hydra mode is also a very smart integration of the cyber key gimmick with two more dragon heads appearing when activated giving us a very unique alt mode. Him being part of the Cybertron line means he gets all the bonuses that legendary line was known for. Which includes a screen accurate toy, that solid plastic which never felt the same since, and an excellent face sculpt that also invokes some beasts elements like the under-bite fangs. And as I said before, wings just add so much elegance to a look and he has it here too with the beast mode shoulders flaring out to give a majestic effect. I see no faults with this toy.

Honourable Mentions: I really want to take a look back here at the incredible mythologically themed alt modes we have gotten in this brand so far. These may not have been the best but the sheer fact that we have these is incredible and adds to the cultural richness and diversity of our beloved brand.

Moon is a Transformer based on the Moon Rabbit which is a creature the Asian culture believes to be in the moon (and we can even see its shape).

Transformers Beast Wars II Moon Gallery

A Yeti. That's right, we do have an actual Transformers toy that does transform from a (working) drill ski bike into an abominable snowman. Everyone, meet Windchill the Yeti-Bot!

Grimwing turns into an Ursagryph which is half bear half eagle and so unknown that this very toy is the most prominent example of this mythological creature.

Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Grimwing Gallery

If you like Dragons, the Beast Hunters line was filled to the bri with them, which was pretty awesome. Definitely the best dragon from the Prime Beast Hunters line was Ripclaw. It had the most complex transformation with a lot for playability for a deluxe class toy, thanks to the segmented dragon tail. The dragon mode looks the part and gives a robot mode that plays against type for female robots.

Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Ripclaw Gallery

Heinlad is a tanuki but this toy isn't based on the actual animal but on the mythological interpretation since it comes with sake and has a great big pair of balls which the mythic animal is infamous for. I still can't believe that made it through but I am glad it did.

To know more, just click the image below to be taken to his gallery which is filled with more information.

Transformers Beast Wars Neo Heinlad (Heinrad) Gallery
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

william-james88
News Staff
News Credits: 4501
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Re: Top 5 Transformers Toys with Mythological Alt Modes

Postby Carnivius_Prime » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:53 am

Motto: "A cunning smile is more devastating than the fiercest weapon."
Weapon: Anti-Thermal Cannon
I had that RID Megatron in the early 2000's from finding it at a car boot sale. I didn't really like any of it's modes at all (bat was kinda fun i guess) as it was just too goofy looking for me but I did find the articulation and shaping kinda interesting at the time as a reminder that Transformers didn't need to be bricky anymore. :P
I have anxiety, depression and aspergers syndrome so my behaviour can be erratic. I don't mean offense to anyone. Just very picky about my Transformers collecting. You're all cool! :)

Likes: Bayverse, Marvel UK G1, Geoff Senior art, '86 movie (more for style/soundtrack rather than Star Wars plot)
Dislikes: Bumblebee movie (lousy rehashed dumb crud), TFA, G1 cartoon, IDW G1, BW/BM, MP. The entire concept of Autobot Megatron
Carnivius_Prime
City Commander
News Credits: 19

Postby ZeroWolf » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:15 am

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Weapon: Battle Blades
Awesome list here, and as someone who loves folklore and myths from all corners of the world, I do like the added info you put next to the entries. You're also correct, you can never have too many dragons...or wolves...has anyone made a half dragon half wolf yet?

Back on track, this list is making want to track down the jungle planet figures from Cybertron as there was some fun stuff in there (well it was a fantastic line in of itself) but at the same time, I want the rest of the beast hunters stuff.
Got news for Seibertron? Share it here!
ZeroWolf
News Admin
News Credits: 1350

Postby Sarahthecutevixen » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:35 pm

Motto: "Violence isn't the answer, it's the question. The answer is yes."
Weapon: Particle Beam Cannon
ZeroWolf wrote:Awesome list here, and as someone who loves folklore and myths from all corners of the world, I do like the added info you put next to the entries. You're also correct, you can never have too many dragons...or wolves...has anyone made a half dragon half wolf yet?

Back on track, this list is making want to track down the jungle planet figures from Cybertron as there was some fun stuff in there (well it was a fantastic line in of itself) but at the same time, I want the rest of the beast hunters stuff.

Savage/Noble?Image
Sarahthecutevixen
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 6
Alt Mode: Draconian feline
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 9
Endurance: 10
Courage: 9
Firepower: 9
Skill: 10

Postby Randomhero » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:43 pm

-scrolls down- come one Heinlad come on Heinlad

THERE HE IS!
Randomhero
Gestalt
News Credits: 3

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:07 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
Great list Will!

Mine would go as:

5) RiD Devil Gigatron
4) Darksteel AKA Grimwing (should have got the Grimwing version)
3) Grotusque
2) Silverbolt
1) Tigerhawk

Those are what I have, so my list may be a bit short of some of yours!
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 8

Postby Throttlebotsrevenge » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:37 pm

What . . . no love for Battle Unicorn? :-P
Throttlebotsrevenge
Micromaster

Postby Sabrblade » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:09 pm

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
RiD Galvatron/CR Devil Gigatron has one more mythological-based mode of note.

While not as impressive as his two-headed dragon mode, this form (dubbed "Devilsaurer" in Car Robots) was made out to be his most powerful "Final Form" of the series, and when brought over from Japan to the West, this form was renamed by Hasbro as Galvatron's "Griffin" Mode.

And, for bonus points, this was the form in which Devil Gigatron finally confessed his true reasons for wanting to take over the Earth, which were surprisingly much deeper, more philosophical (if a bit anime-ish too), and far less "Saturday morning cartoon villain-esque" than Galvatron's motivations in the English dub:

Devilsaurer: "We Transformers have eternal life. However, that also means our past selves continue on forever."

God Fire Convoy: "What?"

Devilsaurer: "Have you noticed the children of this planet? The power of their pure hearts can change the future."

God Fire Convoy: "Yes. We Cybertrons are trying to protect the power of those pure hearts!"

Devilsaurer: "And I am trying to use it. In order to change the future of the universe, and to change MY own future."

God Fire Convoy: *aghast reaction*

Devilsaurer: "For us, there is no glorious future. In exchange for eternity, both our past and our future were stolen from us! However, if I use the power of the children, I can control my own future. This will allow me to experience that possibility!"
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 438
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Postby Dude Gatsby » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:14 pm

It may be from all the Persona I have been playing, but I would love a line dedicated to mythological alt modes. Imagine crazy creatures like Genbu Image
Or Anzu.
Dude Gatsby
Mini-Con

Postby kurthy » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:21 pm

Motto: "Illumination through acceleration!"
Weapon: Metal Tearing Serrated Circular Blade
Now, I need a Heinlad. Where's the nogitsune?
kurthy
Pretender
News Credits: 13
Alt Mode: John Deere 6M Series Tractor
Strength: 1
Intelligence: N/A
Endurance: 4
Firepower: 1
Skill: ???

Postby Emerje » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:53 pm

Motto: "Spellcheck's antithesis."
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
Grotusque remains my favorite. Even though he isn't based on any discernible mythological origin, I like the theory that he's supposed to be a gargoyle.

Emerje
Emerje
News Staff
News Credits: 235
Alt Mode: Lobster Moose
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 4
Firepower: 3
Skill: 6

Postby william-james88 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:56 pm

Emerje wrote:Grotusque remains my favorite. Even though he isn't based on any discernible mythological origin, I like the theory that he's supposed to be a gargoyle.

Emerje

Yeah, thats why I steered clear of him. Someone on facebook mentionned skylynx, I would have never thought it could be interpreted as mythological.

John Warden reads my lists too and this is what he had to say:

Hienrad only gets Honorable Mention? Really!?!?

I just didnt want this whole discussion to be all about giant testes
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,

william-james88
News Staff

Postby Emerje » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:05 pm

william-james88 wrote:I just didnt want this whole discussion to be all about giant testes

Well how else is he supposed to fly?

Now look at what you started.
Emerje
Emerje
News Staff

Postby RacerCheetor » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:34 am

Motto: "Interesting? *Mrow!* Optimus, the word is spot on smooth. *Prrrrr* It's a crime."
Weapon: Quasar Cannon
I do not agree with the 1st place. ¬3¬

Between Megatron TM2 and Tigerhawk they earned it. :APPLAUSE:
RacerCheetor
Mini-Con
News Credits: 2

Postby ZeroWolf » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:09 am

But who do you think should be no 1 then?

Wonder how much I would have to bribe TT to do an encore devil gigatron (I know I could get rid megs/Galvatron but it would be simpler to get a release online)
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby megamanfan » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:02 pm

Emerje wrote:Grotusque remains my favorite. Even though he isn't based on any discernible mythological origin, I like the theory that he's supposed to be a gargoyle.

Emerje

actually, grotusque is! he's based off the grotesque, or what we refer to today as gargoyles. the name gargoyle was originally just the name of things that spouted out of castle walls to help run the rain water off of them, but eventually they made these protrusions look like gnarly beasts known as grotesques, which was actually the name of the ugly statues that sat atop buildings that we call gargoyles today. from there, the word gargoyle/grotesque became almost interchangable.
megamanfan
Minibot
News Credits: 1

Postby RK_Striker_JK_5 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:11 pm

Motto: "'Til All are One!"
Weapon: Electron Gun
Great list, here. So glad to see Silverbolt on it. And you're right. It'd be nigh-impossible to really 'update' the guy.
Not caring about scale since 1984. Just like Hasbro.
RK_Striker_JK_5
Faction Commander
Strength: 4
Speed: 6
Firepower: 4

Postby Emerje » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:30 pm

megamanfan wrote:

Emerje

actually, grotusque is! he's based off the grotesque, or what we refer to today as gargoyles. the name gargoyle was originally just the name of things that spouted out of castle walls to help run the rain water off of them, but eventually they made these protrusions look like gnarly beasts known as grotesques, which was actually the name of the ugly statues that sat atop buildings that we call gargoyles today. from there, the word gargoyle/grotesque became almost interchangable.

Makes sense and explains why so much of his head is flat gray.

Emerje
Emerje
News Staff

Postby Overcracker » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:08 pm

Motto: "Collecting little transforming action figures is the right of all sentient Geeks."
Weapon: Indepentently Targetable Particle Beam Cannons
Throttlebotsrevenge wrote:What . . . no love for Battle Unicorn? :-P

Unicorns are real, so it doesn't count for this list... Wait...
Check the Collection Manager Updates at the thread in the General discussion forum.
TF Search Website First Beta is now up. Click this link!
Beast Wars complete, Beast Machines almost done.
Last Update: March 14, 2024:
Now holding 1000!!! figures and 2310 releases of figures. Please check forum post above
Overcracker
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 5
Watch Overcracker on YouTube
Strength: 8
Endurance: 9
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: 10

Postby william-james88 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:23 pm

There would be IF I owned him. That is the ONE toy I want most of all that I do not have yet. I am simply not willing to pay the crazy e-bay prices for him, especially not when he was available a plenty for $10 MISB.

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Great list, here. So glad to see Silverbolt on it. And you're right. It'd be nigh-impossible to really 'update' the guy.

Thanks man!

megamanfan wrote:

Emerje

From what I had read Gargoyles are the ones shaped as monsters that have water running out of them while Grotesques are the protrusions that do not have anything to do with water. So they are not really interchangeable since one is purely decorative while the other is functional but ornamented. Also, if anyone cares, they are called Gargouille in french because that is the same word as gargle in english, which is that sound you do with water in your mouth.

Anyways, with this list I made sure to go with straight forward stuff (ex: dragons, winged beasts). Gargoyles are more like monsters and demons. I wasnt sure if monsters held the same title as mythological creatures and when it came to demons, that incorporates christian mythology and I did not want to get into religous debates.

But yeah Grotusque is cool and totally based on something. Unlike, say, Bristleback.

william-james88
News Staff

Postby ZeroWolf » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:16 am

william-james88 wrote:

There would be IF I owned him. That is the ONE toy I want most of all that I do not have yet. I am simply not willing to pay the crazy e-bay prices for him, especially not when he was available a plenty for $10 MISB.

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Great list, here. So glad to see Silverbolt on it. And you're right. It'd be nigh-impossible to really 'update' the guy.

Thanks man!

megamanfan wrote:

Emerje

From what I had read Gargoyles are the ones shaped as monsters that have water running out of them while Grotesques are the protrusions that do not have anything to do with water. So they are not really interchangeable since one is purely decorative while the other is functional but ornamented. Also, if anyone cares, they are called Gargouille in french because that is the same word as gargle in english, which is that sound you do with water in your mouth.

Anyways, with this list I made sure to go with straight forward stuff (ex: dragons, winged beasts). Gargoyles are more like monsters and demons. I wasnt sure if monsters held the same title as mythological creatures and when it came to demons, that incorporates christian mythology and I did not want to get into religous debates.

But yeah Grotusque is cool and totally based on something. Unlike, say, Bristleback.

I love learning the origin of words like this, especially when they are to do with creatures of folklore :-)
ZeroWolf
News Admin

Postby Va'al » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:12 am

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Kyleor » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:39 am

Motto: "Awwww-Skeet-Skeet-Skeet!"
Weapon: Twin Automatic Machine Guns

That's actually a pretty fun figure though.
Don't get butthurt when you get called out for expressing closed/small/narrow minded opinions. Educate yourself and form a better opinion.

Yyyeeeeeeeeep

Kyleor
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 3
Strength: 2
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 5
Endurance: 3
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 4

Postby RK_Striker_JK_5 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:27 pm

Motto: "'Til All are One!"
Weapon: Electron Gun
Dude Gatsby wrote:It may be from all the Persona I have been playing, but I would love a line dedicated to mythological alt modes. Imagine crazy creatures like Genbu Image
Or Anzu.

I'd buy those in a heartbeat. There's so many alt modes, mythological or otherwise, that Transformers should tackle.
Not caring about scale since 1984. Just like Hasbro.
RK_Striker_JK_5
Faction Commander
Strength: 4
Firepower: 4

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-E38 MEGATRON Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Tomy ER-13 Takara New"
NEW!
WFC-E38 MEGATRON T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K31 SHADOW PANTHER Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe 2021 New"
WFC-K31 SHADOW PAN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #9 Cover A IDW Comic 2019 BOLD NEW ERA SIEGE 9A (CA) Miyao"
TRANSFORMERS #9 Co ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-E22 QUINTESSON JUDGE Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Tomy ER EX-08"
NEW!
WFC-E22 QUINTESSON ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-S16 PTERAXADON Transformers War for Cybertron Siege Battle Master 2019 New"
WFC-S16 PTERAXADON ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K28 GALVATRON fixed shoulders Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Leader 2021"
WFC-K28 GALVATRON ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BWVS-03 CHEETOR + WASPINATOR Transformers Beast Wars Again Kingdom Hasbro 2024"
BWVS-03 CHEETOR + ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BWVS-04 TIGATRON + BLACKARACHNIA Transformers Beast Wars Again Kingdom Hasbro"
BWVS-04 TIGATRON + ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-E17 ARCEE Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Deluxe Hasbro 2020 New"
WFC-E17 ARCEE Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K25 WINGFINGER Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe Hasbro 2021 New"
WFC-K25 WINGFINGER ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #6 Cvr B IDW Comic 2019 BOLD NEW ERA SIEGE 6B (CA) McGuire-Smith"
TRANSFORMERS #6 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-E2 SMASHDOWN Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Battle Master 2020 New"
WFC-E2 SMASHDOWN T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K22 DRACODON Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Core Hasbro 2021 New"
NEW!
WFC-K22 DRACODON T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WRECK-GAR Transformers Studio Series 86-09 Animated Movie Voyager 2021 New"
WRECK-GAR Transfor ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Sinnertwin" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Snarl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 12 Voyager Class Movie 1 Decepticon Brawl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Terrorcon Blot" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Repugnus, Dastard, and Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Chop Shop Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Alpha Trion Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Decepticon Octone and Murk" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Loudmouth" on AMAZON