Looking Back on Beast Machines

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Looking Back on Beast Machines

Postby JazZeke » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:55 pm

Motto: "Every dark cloud may have a silver lining, but every gingerbread house has a witch inside."
Weapon: Shoulder Mounted Rocket Launcher
The other day I got this... weird, sudden flash of nostalgia for Beast Machines, of all things. Which is weird, because as a 13-year-old, I kind of hated that show.

Beast Wars was what I grew up with. I'd had just enough exposure to G1 thanks to swap meets and VHS tapes to appreciate Beast Wars not just on its own merits, but as a part of something bigger than itself. Halfway through Beast Wars' first season, my family moved way the hell out into the boondocks to try our hand at homesteading. We had no TV reception, but we had a TV and a generator, and my grandfather, may he rest in peace, taped Beast Wars for me and my siblings. Out there, I was a pretty lonely kid, and the Maximals became my "best friends." Beast Wars had such a profound effect on me that it inspired me to become a writer as an adult.

So when Beast Machines came around, I hated seeing Rattrap reduced to a whiner without any of his past snark. Optimus Primal turned into a short-sighted zealot. Silverbolt made heartless and dour. And most egregiously, Rhinox made evil. The sheer stupidity of primordial ooze as a do-all plot device and the liberties the series took with G1 canon were aggravating too, but it was the characters I cared enough. Most of the time, I'm content to pretend Beast Machines never happened.

But all of a sudden, I saw the Beast Machines logo somewhere and my mood just... flipped. Not the series or the toys themselves, oh god no, but like, that very strange period in the franchise's history. Looking back on it, it's kind of hard to believe how weird Transformers got at that point. Biomechanical figures, unorthodox designs, a complete lack of show accuracy... these toys had nothing to do with the original G1 Transformers in concept or aesthetic, but at the same time you could see the clear evolution from one into the other. Looking back on it now, after 18 years of relative brand stability, it feels kind of surreal how the brand got so "off-focus" like that.

And you know? As much as I'm looking forward to the Siege toys, at the same time I feel like it's kind of a shame Hasbro isn't as experimental as it used to be. I love building up my "neo-G1" collection (and it's about damn time I got a good Ironhide figure for it), but I feel like the brand has been scared to try anything fresh since Animated, and that's a crying shame.
JazZeke
Headmaster
News Credits: 11
Location: Arizona, where the glass is always greener.... on the other side of the state line!
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 9
Firepower: 8
Skill: 8

Re: Looking Back on Beast Machines

Postby shajaki » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:15 pm

Motto: "A man who wants nothing is invincible."
My initial reaction of BM was shock, then I fell in love with it. It was daring for the time, and sadly true that they don't take chances like that anymore.

It is by far the most dark and adult oriented series we've ever gotten. I find even the animation has aged well (whereas BW is a bit of a chore). It has it's issues, it's not perfect, but it's sophisticated. I was ok with pretty much all the character changes. Rattrap however took some getting used to, but once I understood the "why" (which is what a lot of this show was about), that made him all the more interesting.
shajaki
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 226
Buy from shajaki on eBay

Postby Wingz » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:09 pm

Motto: "Let the trails lead where they may. I will follow."
Weapon: Air-To-Air Heat Seeking Missiles
Beast Machines...I actually rewatched both Beast Wars and Beast Machines very recently, and I agree with you on quite a few points, Jaz, especially regarding Rattrap. Regarding him in Beast Machines, I still just see an inside-out boy scout on training wheels when I look at that model, and he comes off as helpless for the first half of the series. Given the events in the series, personality changes are understandable, but I never got used to the models.

There was something I caught this time that I did not catch the first time, though, since you mentioned the liberties the writers took with G1 canon. When Optimus was explaining about the Oracle's prophesy, he states: "The first robots who came to Cybertron had to learn to transform." Not only does this completely dismiss Cybertron as a "home planet" or "Primus", no reason was ever given as to why they would feel the need to learn to transform. Because it was organic and animals existed there? It doesn't really make a lot of sense, and it's never clarified.

Taking the series for what it was and what it offered, it was decent, but by no means great in my opinion. It would be nice if they reached outside the comfort zone more often, such as with the concept of Beast Wars, but I'm not sure the risk is worth the effort at this point in time.
JoeFish wrote:Never let go of your optimism Wingz. It's your best quality
Psychout wrote:You have a stubborn streak a mile wide Wingz. Never change!
Wingz
Site Moderator
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 10
Endurance: 5
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 7

Postby shajaki » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:37 pm

Motto: "A man who wants nothing is invincible."
Wingz wrote:When Optimus was explaining about the Oracle's prophesy, he states: "The first robots who came to Cybertron had to learn to transform." Not only does this completely dismiss Cybertron as a "home planet" or "Primus", no reason was ever given as to why they would feel the need to learn to transform.
Didn't "Five Faces of Darkness" reference them learning to transform?
shajaki
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 226
Buy from shajaki on eBay

Postby Wingz » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:07 pm

Motto: "Let the trails lead where they may. I will follow."
Weapon: Air-To-Air Heat Seeking Missiles
shajaki wrote:
Wingz wrote:When Optimus was explaining about the Oracle's prophesy, he states: "The first robots who came to Cybertron had to learn to transform." Not only does this completely dismiss Cybertron as a "home planet" or "Primus", no reason was ever given as to why they would feel the need to learn to transform.
Didn't "Five Faces of Darkness" reference them learning to transform?

It's been a while since I've seen "Five Faces of Darkness" :lol: May have to revisit it at some point soon, then. Thank you for the heads up! ;)^
JoeFish wrote:Never let go of your optimism Wingz. It's your best quality
Psychout wrote:You have a stubborn streak a mile wide Wingz. Never change!
Wingz
Site Moderator
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 10
Endurance: 5
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 7

Postby Vector Primal » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:55 am

Motto: "Be Champions!"
Weapon: Gattling Gun
I did not care for it. They may as well have made a new cast of characters. Rattrap wouldn't go to Megatron...way to smart and to much pride.
Vector Primal
Mini-Con

Postby ScottyP » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:05 am

Weapon: Battle Blades
The Beast Machines show was very good indeed. I wouldn't mind seeing a Blu-Ray release of it.

Though "I am transformed" in lieu of "maximize" had some moments where it was more cringey than anything.
ScottyP
Faction Commander
News Credits: 176
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers products from AMAZON

Featured Products

Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Arcee Action Figure Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Class Trypticon" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Power of the Primes Punch-Counterpunch and Prima Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Optimal Optimus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Triggerhappy and Blowpipe" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Devastator Figure Set(Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Powermaster Optimus Prime Action Figure (Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Liege Maximo Prime Master" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #207 - Through The Fargate
Twincast / Podcast #207:
"Through The Fargate"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, September 9th, 2018
Transformers products from EBAY

Items Ending Soon

Buy "Transformers OTFCC Botcon 2004 Megazarak MINT PERFECT!!!!     0101" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return V Class BLUNDERBUSS & BROADSIDE Gift" on EBAY
Buy "Bumblebee Autobot Hot Rod Legends Transformers The Last Knight-New Free Shipping" on EBAY
Buy "New Takara Tomy Transformers Legends LG32 Chromedome" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Bumblebee Hasbro Talking Helmet Voice Mixer Plasma Cannon Blaster" on EBAY
Buy "Toys R Us Exclusive Transformers Last Knight Infernocus Combiner Quintessa NEW" on EBAY
Buy "PLAYSKOOL TRANSFORMERS RESCUE BOTS SALVAGE TRASH GARBAGE TRUCK" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Cybertron Dirt Boss Deluxe Class NEW FREE SHIP US" on EBAY