This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

How to fix your PotP Punch/Counterpunch

Post all your customized Transformers here. Whether it's a small mod or a true kitbash, we'd love to see it!

How to fix your PotP Punch/Counterpunch

Postby Counterpunch » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:38 pm

Motto: "Everything I do is divinely sanctioned."
Weapon: Jawbreaker Cannon
The Amazon exclusive PotP Punch/Counterpunch is incorrectly assembled resulting in a vehicle mode that does not line up properly. User IronMagnus on fellow fansite TFW2005 has pointed out an easy fix to the issue, but we've added images so you can also follow these easy steps to correct the problem:

First off, remove the arms at the ball joint.

The problem part is here. It is installed upside down. The flat edge should be facing up and the rounded edge should be facing down.

You're going to remove those parts and flip them. To start, unsnap the chest at the indicated point:

From here it's a bit tough. You're going to use force to pry the part out off of the peg. I've done three of these now and I can tell you that you will not stress any parts if you're careful and go one at a time. Once removed, make sure you reinstall them with this orientation:

Once finished, everything lines up much better and the arms tab in properly in alt mode.

Also, as IronMagnus said, flipping the Decepticon panel when going into alt mode makes the panels line up much easier.

Video update:
https://twitter.com/ME_Counterpunch/status/1041506823549771777?s=19
Counterpunch
Podcast Host
News Credits: 125
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 7

Re: How to fix your PotP Punch/Counterpunch

Postby fenrir72 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:04 pm

Motto: "Power to the strong and the right!"
Weapon: Plasma Cannon
Thanks! ;)^ :APPLAUSE:

1. Please sticky this.
2. Do I cancel my still pending Amazon order and wait for the "corrected" Takara version?
fenrir72
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 60
Buy from fenrir72 on eBay
Alt Mode: Mobile Ground Fortress
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 9
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

Postby Crosscheck » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:34 pm

Weapon: Electro-burst Rifle
When you say "pry the part out off the peg", is there any way to fully disconnect the chest piece to access the parts without potentially snapping a peg or piece? It doesn't look like there is a whole lot of room to work with.
Crosscheck
Combiner
News Credits: 2
Strength: 5
Endurance: 4
Courage: 7
Firepower: 6

Postby Counterpunch » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:16 pm

Crosscheck wrote:When you say "pry the part out off the peg", is there any way to fully disconnect the chest piece to access the parts without potentially snapping a peg or piece? It doesn't look like there is a whole lot of room to work with.

No. But I added a video and there isn't really even a chance of stressing or breaking something.
Counterpunch
Podcast Host

Postby Crosscheck » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:25 am

Counterpunch wrote:
Crosscheck wrote:When you say "pry the part out off the peg", is there any way to fully disconnect the chest piece to access the parts without potentially snapping a peg or piece? It doesn't look like there is a whole lot of room to work with.

No. But I added a video and there isn't really even a chance of stressing or breaking something.

Perfect. You definitely make it look pretty easy. I guess I was thinking there would be less clearance, but it looks like it will be okay. I will post an update once I get it done when my P/CP comes on Tuesday.
Crosscheck
Combiner

Postby Exastiken » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:27 am

Hello, PCP owner here. I have the same exact assembly as the top post, but it's not an issue, I'm pretty sure the fix is overhyped. The part that he seems to think causes an issue is that there's two conflicting bits that seem to be spaced too closely, but in fact there's a little more clearance in shoulder you can compress into. I just transformed my figure into car mode just fine. Image
Exastiken
Mini-Con

Postby Wolfman Jake » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:38 am

Motto: ""A mountain with a wolf on it stands a little taller."
-Edward Hoagland"
Weapon: Retractable Mecha-Fangs
Are there any comparison pics showing a difference in the alt mode before and after the fix?
Wolfman Jake - Spendin' the day howlin' away.
Wolfman Jake
Faction Commander
News Credits: 65
Alt Mode: Wolf
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Firepower: 2
Skill: 8

Postby Exastiken » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:50 am

It's not an assembly issue. There's two tabs that seem to hit each other, but there's actually space to compress so that they don't. I can transform mine with the same assembly into car mode just fine.
Exastiken
Mini-Con

Postby Exastiken » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:53 am

The stock photo on Amazon has the round side up, pretty sure the fix is superficial.
Exastiken
Mini-Con

Postby frogbat » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:37 am

Motto: "All my 6 nipples are tingling."
Weapon: Self-Propelled Photon Cannon
thnx for this! quite an unfortunate QC issue :(
My personal prime collection so far in descending order of how great i reckon the toy is -
FE Prime, Silas Breakdown (Powerizer), Dreadwing (Powerizer), FE Bulkhead, Voyager StarScream (Powerizer), Ratchet, Soundwave, Arcee, Voyager Megatron (Powerizer), Wheeljack, Thundertron (Powerizer), Ultra Magnus (Powerizer), Knockout, Cliffjumper, Bumblebee,Airachnid
frogbat
Pretender
Intelligence: 7
Endurance: 7
Firepower: 5

Postby Un_Chakal » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:05 am

Motto: ""It takes an irritant to make a pearl.""
Weapon: Cyber Tail Claw
I did that I shaved down the pegs that are on his shoulders that his wheel cowling clips onto in punch mode so they don't stress the plastic around it and I popped out the mushroom pegs and shaved down the flat part. That's what keeps them from turning.
"So how big is this Exgraver, anyway? Deluxe or Voyager?" "I'd say he's a couple of BIC pens tall." "Wha-- What?"
Un_Chakal
Minibot
Watch Un_Chakal on YouTube
Buy from Un_Chakal on eBay

Postby Counterpunch » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:40 am

Exastiken wrote:The stock photo on Amazon has the round side up, pretty sure the fix is superficial.

All I can say is, transform him before the fix and feel how the arms fit in and seem to be just slightly off.

Then do the fix and feel how they snap into place.

It's a minor thing, but it does make it better.
Counterpunch
Podcast Host

Postby Randomhero » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:15 am

Just got mine and changed him a few times. Seems fine. I don’t have issues
Randomhero
Gestalt
News Credits: 3

Postby TheForgottenTaxi » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:38 am

Okay but... why is this acceptable? If I got any other product from Amazon that required me to take it apart and reassemble it for it to work correctly, I would get a refund or replacement.
I have feelings about robots. They are mostly here. -> https://isgardtheterrible.wixsite.com/rankingrobots
TheForgottenTaxi
Micromaster

Postby Wolfman Jake » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:40 am

-Edward Hoagland"
Is this still a bonafide assembly error at this point? There's lots of conflicting information about it's necessity, and this thread has now been moved to the "customization" forum. Is this really more of a preference than a needed fix?
Wolfman Jake
Faction Commander

Postby IronMagnus » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:53 am

Wolfman Jake wrote:Is this still a bonafide assembly error at this point? There's lots of conflicting information about it's necessity, and this thread has now been moved to the "customization" forum. Is this really more of a preference than a needed fix?

Hey Guys,

IronMagnus here. I posted about this on the tfw2005 forum origionally.

Nothing short of an official tweet from Hasbro acknowledging the issue will convince some people I think.

If your figure transforms great without doing anything, then congrats! Many have had trouble and this change has fixed it for every single one.

As far as it being a "bonafide assembly error", I believe that it is.

The very fact that every in-hand photo and stock photos all show it one way, with the round side up, just points to the fact that it's a mistake in the assembly procedure from the beginning, not a case of one worker getting things wrong sometimes.

What I WOULD point people at are the RENDERS on the package and in the instructions.

These renders would be from the original CAD files and how the actual designer of the toy created it, not how someone in a factory told their workers how to put it together.

On these renders, you can see that the flat edge of the piece in question is on the top.

Edit: Here is a close up picture of the instructions from fellow tfw2005 forum poster Jtprime17:

Here you can see that the flat edge is on the top.

I hope this helps anyone who is having trouble with their figure.
Last edited by IronMagnus on Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IronMagnus
Mini-Con

Postby IronMagnus » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:57 am

fenrir72 wrote:Thanks! ;)^ :APPLAUSE:

1. Please sticky this.
2. Do I cancel my still pending Amazon order and wait for the "corrected" Takara version?

Takara and Hasbro put out the same figures now. I doubt that the Takara one will be any different.

The fix is so quick and easy that there is no point in cancelling your order. Let it go through and take 30 seconds to fix it on your own :)

I would like to add that removing the arms from the ball joints isn't necessary, but I think it gives you more room to work with. I did it originally as I was investigating the issue and didn't know what all would be required, were they asymmetrical? Would the connectors need to swap sides or something? (they don't)

If you're worried about damaging the figure on that step (you shouldn't be), then you can try leaving the arms on and removing the entire assembly from the body before twisting around the connector piece and placing it back in.
Last edited by IronMagnus on Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IronMagnus
Mini-Con

Postby IronMagnus » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:01 pm

Exastiken wrote:Hello, PCP owner here. I have the same exact assembly as the top post, but it's not an issue, I'm pretty sure the fix is overhyped. The part that he seems to think causes an issue is that there's two conflicting bits that seem to be spaced too closely, but in fact there's a little more clearance in shoulder you can compress into. I just transformed my figure into car mode just fine. Image

Hi there. Thanks for your honest criticism of the issue. I welcome it as it's the best way to find out when something is truly wrong or not.

"The part that he seems to think causes an issue is that there's two conflicting bits that seem to be spaced too closely"

This fix has nothing to do with those parts. It affects how closely the arm sits to the robot body.

You CAN manage to get it into car mode without the fix, but in doing so the door panels are pressing the arms into place when they shouldn't be under that kind of stress. All they should have to do is tab into those connector bits to stay in place.
Last edited by IronMagnus on Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IronMagnus
Mini-Con

Postby Randomhero » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:18 pm

TheForgottenTaxi wrote:Okay but... why is this acceptable? If I got any other product from Amazon that required me to take it apart and reassemble it for it to work correctly, I would get a refund or replacement.

It’s not required. you don’t have to do it and go ahead and demand a replacement for a figure that’s out of stock and is being reported as all of them are like this.

Again you don’t have to. I’m not going to do mine because I don’t feel it’s necessary. I’ve changed mine several times since I got it and it’s also got full range.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby Nemesis Destron » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:56 pm

Motto: ""So you see evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb!""
Weapon: Dual-Sonic Disrupter Gun
Exastiken wrote:It's not an assembly issue. .

Awww sh*t fire!!! :BANG_HEAD: Assembly issue or not there's no excuse...you hear this :HASBRO: ???

But I guess we're past due on having some crap like this happen since the huge problems Trypticon had.

:HASBRO: there's too much damn money involved for us to have to deal with this...'nuff said! :VEHI:
Nemesis Destron
Gestalt

Postby Randomhero » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:30 pm

Nemesis Destron wrote:
Exastiken wrote:It's not an assembly issue. .

Awww sh*t fire!!! :BANG_HEAD: Assembly issue or not there's no excuse...you hear this :HASBRO: ???

But I guess we're past due on having some crap like this happen since the huge problems Trypticon had.

:HASBRO: there's too much damn money involved for us to have to deal with this...'nuff said! :VEHI:

Put your torches and pitchforks away and calm down. It’s not like the toy is broken out of the box. You can either do a fix or you not. That’s it.

What’s with you people acting like it’s the end of times. Jeez, kids screaming in toy aisles calm down faster than grown adults.
Randomhero
Gestalt

Postby Crosscheck » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:01 pm

I got my P/CP today. Without the fix, his arms would not peg properly to the sides of the torso properly. They would pop out of place. So I did the fix. The arms now pop into place properly. No reduction in mobility for any of the joints.

In short, for me, the fix was necessary for the figure. Like Counterpunch's demonstration said, it is easy enough to do and I only just barely felt like I was stressing any of the parts.
Crosscheck
Combiner

Postby Counterpunch » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:05 pm

Crosscheck wrote:I got my P/CP today. Without the fix, his arms would not peg properly to the sides of the torso properly. They would pop out of place. So I did the fix. The arms now pop into place properly. No reduction in mobility for any of the joints.

In short, for me, the fix was necessary for the figure. Like Counterpunch's demonstration said, it is easy enough to do and I only just barely felt like I was stressing any of the parts.

Excellent. Happy to hear it.
Counterpunch
Podcast Host

Postby TheForgottenTaxi » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:21 pm

Randomhero wrote:
TheForgottenTaxi wrote:Okay but... why is this acceptable? If I got any other product from Amazon that required me to take it apart and reassemble it for it to work correctly, I would get a refund or replacement.

It’s not required. you don’t have to do it and go ahead and demand a replacement for a figure that’s out of stock and is being reported as all of them are like this.

I'm well aware that demanding a replacement is not feasible. I'm saying that this should be viewed as unacceptable by the community and by Hasbro, and it's galling that there's nothing we can do to really hold Hasbro accountable unless we want to give up on the figure entirely.

(Assuming it's as bad as reported; mine has for some reason not shipped yet, so I can't comment on that.)
I have feelings about robots. They are mostly here. -> https://isgardtheterrible.wixsite.com/rankingrobots
TheForgottenTaxi
Micromaster

Postby Wolfman Jake » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:57 pm

-Edward Hoagland"
My figures were delivered this afternoon. When I get home tonight, I'll give them a thourough going over myself and give you my thoughts. I remember not too long ago that people were convinced that Studio Series Jazz was messed up and nothing lined up correctly in vehicle mode until people started to figure out that they were missing a step in the transformation. That one little step made all the difference. Granted, it wasn't clearly shown in the instructions, but it proves that sometimes it's just user error and not a manufacturing problem. Like I said, though, I'll post my findings later when I've had time to open and inspect my own copies.
Wolfman Jake
Faction Commander

Next

Return to Customizations

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SENSATIONAL SHE-HULK #1 var Marvel Comics 2023 AUG230654 (CA) Gonzales"
SENSATIONAL SHE-HU ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SHE-HULK #1 var 1:100 virgin Marvel Comics 2022 NOV210847 (CA) Artgerm (W)Rowell"
SHE-HULK #1 var 1: ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SENSATIONAL SHE-HULK #1 var Marvel Comics 2023 AUG230651 (CA) Young"
SENSATIONAL SHE-HU ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DAREDEVIL #9 var 1:25 Marvel Comics 2023 JAN230965 (CA) Ba 230328A"
DAREDEVIL #9 var 1 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MOON KNIGHT #11 Marvel Comics 2022 MAR221058 (CA) Smith (W) MacKay (A) Cappuccio"
MOON KNIGHT #11 Ma ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SHE-HULK #8 var Marvel Comics 2022 SEP221038 (CA) Dowling (W) Rowell (A)Miyazawa"
SHE-HULK #8 var Ma ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GHOST RIDER #19 Marvel Comics 2023 AUG230868 (CA) Barends (W) Percy 231222T"
GHOST RIDER #19 Ma ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GHOST RIDER #1 1:25 Variant Cover Vol 9 Marvel Comics 2019 (CA)Texeira AUG190980"
GHOST RIDER #1 1:2 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SHE-HULK #10 var Marvel Comics 2023 OCT221161 (CA) Talaski (W) Rowell"
SHE-HULK #10 var M ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GHOST RIDER #15 var Marvel Comics 2023 APR230855 (CA) Hotz (W) Percy (A) Smith"
GHOST RIDER #15 va ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MOON KNIGHT #19 Marvel Comics 2023 OCT221134 (CA) Segovia (W)MacKay (A)Sabbatini"
MOON KNIGHT #19 Ma ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MOON KNIGHT #28 Marvel Comics 2023 APR230848 (CA) Segovia (W)MacKay (A)Sabbatini"
MOON KNIGHT #28 Ma ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DAREDEVIL #29 var Heroes Reborn Marvel Comics 2021 FEB210642 (CA) Pacheco"
DAREDEVIL #29 var ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GHOST RIDER #1 Vol 10 var 1:50 Marvel Comics 2022 DEC210898 (CA) Lee (W) Percy"
GHOST RIDER #1 Vol ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Battleslash" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Windblade and Scorchfire" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series Number 14 Voyager Class Autobot Ironhide" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations 30th Anniversary Voyager Class Autobot Whirl Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition Predaking Figure [Amazon Exclusive](Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Legends Class Insecticon Bombshell Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Voyager Class Broadside and Blunderbuss" on AMAZON