This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Top 5 Mass Shifting Transformers Toys

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Top 5 Mass Shifting Transformers Toys

Postby Va'al » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:27 pm

Motto: "Till All Are Pun!"
Every two weeks, Seibertron.com brings you a Top 5 list related to all things Transformers written by me, your fellow editor. And Va'al swoops in from the left, takes the list, and shapes it in his image. First day.

Taking over from william-james88 for this session, I thought about turning our attention to one of the weirdest and least explainable (until Simon Furman in IDW) features of the Transformers lore: mass shifting. Tinkering with some of the figures below, I pitched the idea to the resident listicler - what are the best toys that change size drastically between modes, faithfully and painstakingly representing the mass-shifting quirk in plastic? It took us some thinking, as we kept running short at 3-4, but we may have cracked it, and we're spanning a lot of lines, too!

5. ROTF Wheelie

Is this a good figure? No. Does it conjure up good memories? No. But it is part of the best toy line from the live-action movie series (so far) and it does a fantastic job at starting from an admittedly hefty remote controlled car, to become almost Voyager scary nightmare of a spiky robot. The actual class? Deluxe. But don't remind him.

That said, the robot mode is also nightmarishly lanky and spindly, and carries a lot of the issues of the live-action designs in its feet, limbs, and general... everything, so I wouldn't exactly recommend tracking it down at this stage.

4. MP Hot Rod

As big as the smaller cars in the Masterpiece line - though not the smallest - the second iteration of the Captain Rodimus/Hot Rod compacts a towering robot into the speedy, flashy, flamey douche we all love to hate. Despite still being a little too big to make it into the Ultra Magnus trailer in play-mode, it's small enough to look positively tiny compared to its previous figure, and not that much bigger than the original!

But switch to robot mode, and you have something really much larger, in comparison. It does fit nicely with the likes of Ultra Magnus and Optimus Prime, but may annoy some fans in its comparison to, say, the Datsun clones or the Lambor army. You do get fishing equipment included though, so your Rod can hold a rod - rodception.

3. RID/TAV Thunderhoof

We've all heard the tale: Tiny Tractor Turns into Toweringly Tall roboT. That's what you get with Robots in Disguise Thunderhoof, at least when compared to other Deluxes Warrior class figures in the same line. Not only is it a great little farming vehicle (one of the very few, if not the only one), adorably blue, and plodding along in the fields.

But as soon as you unfold every single part of the vehicle into its limb configurations -- hoo boy, do you have a tall, dark, and handsome, mean lookin robit. He towers over several of his class in the RID line, and is probably the first or second best of the entire run (Bisk/Thermidor is somewhere in there too), and he's just *so* different in size between the two modes, you might almost not even notice how hollow he has to be to pull that off.

2. Prime FE Bulkhead

Voyager class, bulky but relatively compact green SUV, complete with wrecking ball port on the back, limited release in the First Edition wave, and extortionate secondary market prices. Bulkhead is a mean, green, looming, booming machine.

From that Wreckin' ball, you get a baller Wrecker - something later canonised in the IDW comics too, as the last generation of the team before it's disbanded entirely - which may not make up for the size in height, but it is *hefty* all round, and sacrifices nothing for its look. Who says round can't be intimidating?

1. ROTF/Animated Lockdown

I placed both on here, as the Revenge of the Fallen figure is a stellar piece of work, and based on its cartoon counterpart - but Animated is the real star of the show, as the first entry onto the toy scene. The class? Deluxe. And the vehicle mode does a good job of keeping it at that, nice and tidy in its spiky green and black murder muscle car.

The robot mode, however, is HUGE. Like, super tall, almost Voyager scale, and without any hollow or thin or particularly lanky parts, as the aesthetic of the show and toyline allowed for proportions to work their way with stronger lower limbs and looming hunches. In Lockdown's case, it was also super fitting.

Honourable mentions:
  • MP Soundwave/Soundblaster
  • Cybertron Primus
  • Universe Unicron
Va'al
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 6188
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Re: Top 5 Mass Shifting Transformers Toys

Postby william-james88 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:09 pm

Motto: "'till All Are One"
Great list Va'al, thanks for putting this together!
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

william-james88
News Staff
News Credits: 4498
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Postby EvasionModeBumblebee » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:27 pm

Motto: "Are you telling me you could've been a Camaro this whole time?!"
Weapon: Plasma Cannon
Nice list! I’d forgotten how terrifying ROTF Wheelie looks.

If I had to pick one to add to the list it’d be SS Blackout, going from a relatively short robot mode (for a leader) to a gigantic MH-53.
The Beekeeper of Seibertron

Check out my Studio Series customs! Newest update: SS-99 Battletrap
evasionmodebumblebee-s-studio-series-repaints-p2062217.php#p2062217

AKA CamaroBee
EvasionModeBumblebee
Godmaster
News Credits: 53
Alt Mode: 2011 Concept Camaro
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Courage: 10
Firepower: 3
Skill: 9

Postby LE0KING » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:06 pm

Motto: "Even demons run when a good man goes to war."
Weapon: Twin Swords
I'd have to put evasion mode prime on this list. His truck mode is tiny compared to the robot. Same with rotf lockdown.
LE0KING
Vehicon
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 4
Courage: 9
Firepower: 5
Skill: 7

Postby Flashwave » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:09 pm

Motto: "Our society's downfall will not be this war. The war IS our society. That which will get us will be the little things. Some humanoid race, some tossed cannon, the little things that no one looks out for. THAT is for what we must be vigilant."
Weapon: Twin Shoulder-Mounted Rocket Launchers
I think the Wheelie Toy gets a lot of bad flack. It’s not a bad toy its a faithful creation of a frankly hideous design Short of working electronics, you can’t make a more faithful recreation of ROTF Wheelie. You’re just asking an artist to make a faithful recreation of a pile of **** and then complaining because it looks like ****. News flash, it is.

And its totally a perfect example of Toy Mass shifting. So is Animated Lockdown, although I don’t agree with Bulkhead. He stillfeels like a Voyager (Or Ultra Class) in bth modes. Thunderhoof DOES compact down, but he doesn’t really feel like he does it the way Wheelie and Lockdown do. At risk of duplicating characters, I would probably have also put the RTS version of Lockdown on there
Flashwave
City Commander
News Credits: 8
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 9
Endurance: 6
Courage: 9
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Postby william-james88 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:12 pm

Flashwave wrote:And its totally a perfect example of Toy Mass shifting. So is Animated Lockdown, although I don’t agree with Bulkhead. He stillfeels like a Voyager (Or Ultra Class) in bth modes. Thunderhoof DOES compact down, but he doesn’t really feel like he does it the way Wheelie and Lockdown do. At risk of duplicating characters, I would probably have also put the RTS version of Lockdown on there

How would you rank lockdown vs another?
If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,

william-james88
News Staff

Postby notsoalex » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:32 pm

Weapon: Dual Low-Radiation 1 Megaton Proton Bombs
Yeah, and when both of you are in my basem-uh, I mean when both of you aren't available, I'll do the wrting.
Got some news! Contact us here!
notsoalex
News Staff
News Credits: 171
Watch notsoalex on YouTube
Alt Mode: A bad car
Strength: ???
Intelligence: ???
Speed: ???
Endurance: ???
Courage: ???
Firepower: ???

Postby jasonwilty » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:25 pm

This list doesn’t;t work without G1 Skids.
jasonwilty
Mini-Con

Postby ZeroWolf » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:15 am

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Weapon: Battle Blades
Awesome list, one that I agree with completely. Lockdown really is one of the best in the animated line.
Got news for Seibertron? Share it here!
ZeroWolf
News Admin
News Credits: 1350

Postby Carnivius_Prime » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:22 am

Motto: "A cunning smile is more devastating than the fiercest weapon."
Weapon: Anti-Thermal Cannon
I really don't get the appeal of Animated/RotF Lockdown. I absolutely hate the robot mode on both of those toys. Car is kinda cool in a silly Mad Max sorta way but nah I don't like the robot at all. Never owned the RotF toy but did have the Animated one in that large bunch of Animated toys i bought cheap and sold off individually.

"But it is part of the best toy line from the live-action movie series (so far) " Nah, I far prefer Studio Series even just by the fact I've been much more addicted to buying figures from it and it covers the movies as a whole rather than just that one.
I have anxiety, depression and aspergers syndrome so my behaviour can be erratic. I don't mean offense to anyone. Just very picky about my Transformers collecting. You're all cool! :)

Likes: Bayverse, Marvel UK G1, Geoff Senior art, '86 movie (more for style/soundtrack rather than Star Wars plot)
Dislikes: Bumblebee movie (lousy rehashed dumb crud), TFA, G1 cartoon, IDW G1, BW/BM, MP. The entire concept of Autobot Megatron
Carnivius_Prime
City Commander
News Credits: 19

Postby Va'al » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:33 am

Flashwave wrote:And its totally a perfect example of Toy Mass shifting. So is Animated Lockdown, although I don’t agree with Bulkhead. He stillfeels like a Voyager (Or Ultra Class) in bth modes. Thunderhoof DOES compact down, but he doesn’t really feel like he does it the way Wheelie and Lockdown do. At risk of duplicating characters, I would probably have also put the RTS version of Lockdown on there

I mean, the Bulkhead I used as an example was the Prime one, rather than Animated, for that very reason! The SUV is small compared to any other Voyager figure' alt-mode, but the robot is, well, bulky.

The reason I didn't put in two Lockdowns was to give a bit more variety to the designs, trying to fit in more than one line. :D

LE0KING wrote:I'd have to put evasion mode prime on this list. His truck mode is tiny compared to the robot. Same with rotf lockdown.

That's an interesting choice, and one I hadn't really considered for the list, despite being one of the few figures I actually own and love. :-?

Though looking at it with other sizes, it's not too far off from a Voyager truck, it's just all compacted into the cabin, I think.

"But it is part of the best toy line from the live-action movie series (so far) " Nah, I far prefer Studio Series even just by the fact I've been much more addicted to buying figures from it and it covers the movies as a whole rather than just that one.

Also, additional note for full clarity: this list was created before Studio Series was fully available, and does not consider the latest additions to the toy roster we've got in this past season!
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby ZeroWolf » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:38 am

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
So would you change your list when considering studio series?
Got news for Seibertron? Share it here!
ZeroWolf
News Admin
News Credits: 1350

Postby Va'al » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:19 am

ZeroWolf wrote:So would you change your list when considering studio series?

Potentially, but there's a well known reason why I don't usually weigh in on toys. :-P
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Dr. Caelus » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:56 am

I'd say TFPrime Deluxe Vehicon ought to be on this list.
Check out my books, Titanomachies and Divine Retribution, on my blog!
Dr. Caelus
Faction Commander
News Credits: 6

Postby Emerje » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:28 am

Motto: "Spellcheck's antithesis."
Weapon: Saw-Edged Pincer
My favorite, and it's such a simple transformation, too. Doubledealer!

Little rocket carrier turns into a massive bot mode, both height and width thanks to to the way he unfolds in all four directions.

Emerje
Emerje
News Staff
News Credits: 235
Alt Mode: Lobster Moose
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 4
Endurance: 8
Firepower: 3
Skill: 6

Postby ScottyP » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:35 am

Va'al wrote:

Potentially, but there's a well known reason why I don't usually weigh in on toys. :-P
Just because you're actually sane and don't own hundreds/thousands of Transformers? I would respect your toy opinions regardless ;)

On the list, well done! Very agreed on Wheelie, he's a fun one. RotF Jetfire is an example of a big alt mode with a much smaller bot by comparison. The blackbird is huge, but Jetfire himself is just a regular, slightly short Leader Class figure by 2009 Leader standards.
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 638
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby Va'al » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:51 am

ScottyP wrote:On the list, well done! Very agreed on Wheelie, he's a fun one. RotF Jetfire is an example of a big alt mode with a much smaller bot by comparison. The blackbird is huge, but Jetfire himself is just a regular, slightly short Leader Class figure by 2009 Leader standards.

The reverse mass shifting didn't even cross my mind, actually. That would be a fun follow up list..!
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby william-james88 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:08 am

Va'al wrote:

That's what I am here for. And I can say that if there was anything on studio series worth being there, it would be. But there isnt. Not yet.

And I am not alone in still thinking that ROTF is the best movie line. Studio Series is far from amazing. It retreads a lot of transformations and designs we have seen before in AOE and DOTM, two lines that were inferior to ROTF. Plus, when it comes to the Bumblebees which make up a large number of this line, both molds are deeply flawed in the aspect that one's mileage may vary.

In short, the studio series line still has ways to go before it can be considered on the same footing as ROTF and it might never get there since many toys are stuff we have seen before or simply repaints. And it doest even own up to its own ideals of being full based on what we saw onscreen, at least not anymore.

william-james88
News Staff

Postby ScottyP » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:46 am

RotF was very good from a quality perspective. From there, considering its several overcomplicated transformations with a bloated overall lineup across pricepoints and exclusives, bad timing wrt the recession, and a legit bad movie? Given all that I have a hard time remembering it in such a positive light :lol:

You're not wrong, it's just not on immediate recall as some great thing due to all those outside factors.
Listen to me ramble about robots on the Seibertron.com Twincast / Podcast
ScottyP
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 638
Buy from ScottyP on eBay

Postby Rodimus Knight » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:29 am

"Rodimus/Hot Rod compacts a towering robot into the speedy, flashy, flamey douche we all love to hate"

I always wondered where all the hate for this character comes from.
In the movie as Hot Rod he's a brash young autobot, but doesn't come off as annoying like so many others of the type do. He does end up as a shield for Megatron in the final battle though.

In the comics as Rodimus he was well treated, but in the Animation, well, The writers themselves said they were mad that they were asked to kill off so many previous characters, and they did a terrible job writing Rodimus in Season 3. They couldn't even stay consistent with the age he acted. So it was bad writing there.

Still I never really understood the hate he seems to get from people
Rodimus Knight
Pretender
News Credits: 2

Postby william-james88 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:47 pm

Rodimus Knight wrote:"Rodimus/Hot Rod compacts a towering robot into the speedy, flashy, flamey douche we all love to hate"

He is the reason Optimus is dead. Kup told him to stay out of it, should have listened.

william-james88
News Staff

Postby Va'al » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:28 pm

Rodimus Knight wrote:"Rodimus/Hot Rod compacts a towering robot into the speedy, flashy, flamey douche we all love to hate"

In the movie as Hot Rod he's a brash young autobot, but doesn't come off as annoying like so many others of the type do. He does end up as a shield for Megatron in the final battle though.

In the comics as Rodimus he was well treated, but in the Animation, well, The writers themselves said they were mad that they were asked to kill off so many previous characters, and they did a terrible job writing Rodimus in Season 3. They couldn't even stay consistent with the age he acted. So it was bad writing there.

Still I never really understood the hate he seems to get from people

I was obviously being affectionate. Clearly. Of course.

(still a douche, even if loveable)
Va'al
God Of Transformers
Buy from Va'al on eBay

Postby Deadput » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:18 pm

Motto: "Let's kick the tires and light the fires!"
Weapon: Fusion Blaster Cannon
I still don't think Hot rod did anything wrong, Megatron was gonna kill Prime one way or another.

Anyways this list has quite the mass to it eh?
Va'al wrote:
Deadput wrote:Actually I don't know my mother's name is Valerie so is Va'al actually my mother?

Yes. Now go to your room and don't play with yourself.

Deadput
Faction Commander
News Credits: 54
Alt Mode: A mec suit for redundancy.
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 9
Endurance: 3
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10
Skill: 5

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:13 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Armor Axe
Hmm, mass shifting toys...

kinda hard looking at my collection to add any that haven't been named already! Doubledealer and Jetfire are great examples of doing this list backwards in ideas I agree!
I'm looking for parts, Help Me Out Please!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
Site Moderator
News Credits: 1641
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Spinosaurus
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Firepower: 8
Skill: 8

Postby william-james88 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:20 pm

G1 Onslaught mass shifts in reverse as well.

william-james88
News Staff

Next

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K2 RATTRAP Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Core Hasbro 2020 New"
WFC-K2 RATTRAP Tra ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-E2 SMASHDOWN Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Battle Master 2020 New"
WFC-E2 SMASHDOWN T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-E15 RACE TRACK PATROL Transformers Earthrise Micromasters Hasbro 2020 New"
NEW!
WFC-E15 RACE TRACK ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K13 MEGATRON Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Core Hasbro 2021 New"
WFC-K13 MEGATRON T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WHEELIE Transformers Studio Series 86 Core Class Hasbro 2022 New"
WHEELIE Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BWVS-05 RATTRAP + TERRORSAUR Transformers Beast Wars Again Kingdom Hasbro 2024"
NEW!
BWVS-05 RATTRAP + ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-E10 GRAPPLE Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Voyager Hasbro 2020 New"
NEW!
WFC-E10 GRAPPLE Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BWVS-03 CHEETOR + WASPINATOR Transformers Beast Wars Again Kingdom Hasbro 2024"
BWVS-03 CHEETOR + ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K32 PIPES Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe Hasbro 2022 New"
WFC-K32 PIPES Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-E22 QUINTESSON JUDGE Transformers War for Cybertron Earthrise Tomy ER EX-08"
NEW!
WFC-E22 QUINTESSON ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K21 SOUNDWAVE Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Core Hasbro 2021 New"
WFC-K21 SOUNDWAVE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #6 Cvr B IDW Comic 2019 BOLD NEW ERA SIEGE 6B (CA) McGuire-Smith"
TRANSFORMERS #6 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K14 AIRAZOR Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe Hasbro 2021 New"
WFC-K14 AIRAZOR Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ARCEE Transformers Studio Series 86-16 G1 Movie Deluxe Hasbro 2022 New"
ARCEE Transformers ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Tailgate" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Windblade and Scorchfire" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Power Charge Bumblebee Action Figure - Spinning Core, Lights and Sounds - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 10.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Power Series Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Mega 1-Step Turbo Changer Dragonstorm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Legends Class Shockwave Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Playskool Heroes Rescue Bots Optimus Prime Figure" on AMAZON