IDW Transformers x Ghostbusters Comic Discussion

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Re: IDW Transformers x Ghostbusters Comic Discussion

Postby eburnham » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:06 pm

Y'know, I saw a few questions on how Grimlock made it in.

Well, I wrote the in-story reasoning in dialogue and it got cut for space. (;

The real world explanation? Dan drew him on the cover, wherein he put every character he wanted to draw, and I had to include him.

(Figure if I can get away with the events of issue 1, I can get away with that.)

But anyway, glad to see folks are digging it. Maybe we'll do more someday...!
eburnham
Mini-Con

Postby ZeroWolf » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:55 pm

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Weapon: Battle Blades
eburnham wrote:Y'know, I saw a few questions on how Grimlock made it in.

Well, I wrote the in-story reasoning in dialogue and it got cut for space. (;

The real world explanation? Dan drew him on the cover, wherein he put every character he wanted to draw, and I had to include him.

(Figure if I can get away with the events of issue 1, I can get away with that.)

But anyway, glad to see folks are digging it. Maybe we'll do more someday...!

Thank you for posting and welcome to Seibertron! You know I never even questioned Grimlock being there :lol: So used to having part of the cast anyway. You're doing great work :)
Got news for Seibertron? Share it here!
ZeroWolf
News Staff
News Credits: 308

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:37 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Weapon: Star Saber Sword
Review coming tonight, been slightly delayed in writing it.

But in short, it is very good and really fun!
Have Transformers News? Contact us HERE!
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
News Admin
News Credits: 1354
Buy from D-Maximal_Primal on eBay
Alt Mode: Transmetal Indominus Rex
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Courage: 10
Firepower: 8
Skill: 8

IDW Transformers Ghostbusters Ghosts of Cybertron Part 3 Review

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:34 pm

Motto: "There are no impossibilities in the multiverse, just small minds unable to comprehend the possibilities"
Graffitimus Prime
A Seibertron.com Review of IDW Transformers Ghostbusters #3

Peter can't deal with that right now

Story

Issue #3 marks the halfway point in this 5 issue crossover of 2 beloved 1984 franchises. The Men in Beige have now met the Bot in Red and Blue, and more Ghosts have been busted.

So how does the issue stack up with the story so far? Keep reading on to find out! And if you need to catch up on the important details of the issue, check out our Database Entry!

Admit it, you can hear that siren too

Issue #3 gave us some great moments with the Ghostbusters and bots. As the issues have gone on, we have gotten some better and more enjoyable Bot to Buster interactions, and this issue continued tha trend.

I would not have guessed or even thought about this prior to the series, but Peter and Starscream make for a great comedy couple. The Starscream snark and attempts to intimidate coupled with the mouth of Peter have led to some really cool and sometimes downright hilarious moments. One of my favorite parts of the issue was Peter just casually tossing Starscream in a hidden trap because he didn't trust him, and hey, can we blame him?

Also admit this: you always hoped these 2 would come face-to-face

Ectotron has certainly made his home with the Busters as well. The jokes surrounding his name finally culminating in his (much better) rebranding was believable and fun. And then he remembers that he literally is the Ecto-1 right now, and his weariness at being the transport was fun. I also enjoyed the Ghost hunt and the blooming friendship he has with the Ghostbusters. Can the poor bot get a particle thrower already???

And I will admit, this was the major smiling moment for me

And we finally duck back to the Ark and the other Autobots. And with that trip back to Ark, I really hope we get a Grimlock on Earth with Ghosts and a Wheeljack/Egon meeting. The few pages on the Ark made it clear that there is a lot of fun to be had with some Auto-buster mashups beyond Prime and Ectotron.

The story was a good and entertaining one. There was some plot progression, some fun ghost hunting, team bonding, and of course some great Buster jokes. The Ghostbusters are a great crew, and it has been and continues to be so much fun to enjoy them like this.

Yes, story and characters are pretty good.

Art

Art duties fall once more to Dan Schoening, Luis Antonio Delgado, and Tom B. Long on art, colors, and lettering respectively. It has been a joy to watch and look at the art for this crossover so far, and this issue continues that quality. I haven't really had a major complaint about any part of the art so far, and the quality has been nice and consistent, which is really nice considering this creative team doesn't get to draw and color Transformers much. They caught on quick!

If I had one little complaint, it would be that the other Autobots (mostly Optimus) besides Ectotron seem to possess just a little bit too much of a cartoony feel, mostly in the overly large chests. But it's a stylistic option and it is only a minor thing for the whole issue. The lines have been strong and defining, and I have loved the colors. Luis has gotten to flex his muscles with the colors of the ghosts, traps, and particle throwers. It has been one of the major art highlights of the series for me. It's great to see.

I wouldn't want to either

Conclusion

Halfway through this crossover, and I am feeling really good about this series.

The series has been a joy to read, and has provided some classic banter while throwing in some larger than life robots into the mix, with great results. It has been very lively, with every page giving you something good to take away, and has given me quite a few laughs. The chemistry here is wonderful, these were 2 franchises meant to meet each other. Keep going strong crew!

P.S. Now that we got the classic "ain't afraid of no ghost" line, bets on who says "more than meets the eye" anyone?

:KREMZEEK: :KREMZEEK: :KREMZEEK: :KREMZEEK: out of :KREMZEEK: :KREMZEEK: :KREMZEEK: :KREMZEEK: :KREMZEEK:
Wanna talk? Or Rollerblade? Click below and head on over to the D-Max Den!!Image
D-Maximal_Primal
News Admin

Postby Burn » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:16 pm

Motto: "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings to randomly click things in the Admin Panel to see what it breaks."
I've read every Transformers crossover ever. I survived the New Avengers long enough to be confronted with the train wreck that was The Visionaries which just helped reinforce my disdain for Transformers crossing over with other franchises.

And then IDW threw Star Trek at us, and it was silly. Silly fun, but it offered hope that after the mess of previous crossovers there could be something GOOD!

And there is, and this is it. But it's not just good, it's a bloody ripper.

I've always enjoyed IDW's Ghostbuster comics. Great visuals and great story telling, and that's carried over into this crossover.

This particular issue was just fun. From Ectotron getting his new name, leading to Optimus Prime to mutter a "thank Primus" for it, to Ectotron not wanting to talk about the squishy humans riding inside of him. Small moments of humour really made the issue.

I mean sure, it's basically a glorified advertisement for Ectotron, and what will no doubt be Ghostbuster Optimus Prime, BUT IT'S BLOODY FUN!

Collect them individually, wait for the trade, whatever floats your goat, just be sure to pick it up and have a read of it.
"Three blokes doing random crap and taking the mickey out of anyone and everyone"

Nemesis Maximo wrote:Slow your mustang down, bud. I respect your “uniform.” You’re lucky I just happen to like you too. :-D
Burn
Forum Admin
News Credits: 209

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:19 pm

^^Basically my review, but in much better and simpler less formal language!
D-Maximal_Primal
News Admin

Postby Acolyte » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:30 pm

I picked up the Ectotron toy while I was visiting a GameStop in the states a few weeks back. Didn't open him, because I had MP-10G enroute to my home in Japan when I returned. ECTO-35 Optimus arrived today, and I took a moment to open both and just really tinker around and enjoy the many amazing pieces of love and detail that they put into those toys ("We're ready to believe you" on the side of MP-10G's trailer, painted Slimer/translucent Slimer, Roller is a ghost trap, proton packs on both models, logos and beautiful coloration throughout).

And I thought to myself: "You know, I've never read any of the crossover comics these two are based on, but if they put half as much effort into them as they did these toys this could be a real love affair."

And it sounds like they did.

I can't wait to pick up some copies.

Side note/unpopular opinion: I just watched the all female 2016 Ghostbusters movie - with much skepticism - and it actually won me over. It was funny, it was a better edited shot-for-shot style reboot of the original. There was very minimal guy-bashing, and the little that there was was kind of like an inside joke amongst ladies when they go out and talk about their husbands/boyfriends; it had a degree of love and acceptance to it. I dunno, I just expected to thoroughly hate it, and ended up really enjoying it. I would easily (h/t Brian Kilby from RFC) endorse a "into the Ghost-verse" version of this movie where it turns out there are multiple Ghostbusters teams across multiple dimensions. Especially if we get a cinematic Ectotron.
Acolyte
Mini-Con

Postby eburnham » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:08 am

I mean, we make full use of all Ghostbusters.

eburnham
Mini-Con

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:08 pm

eburnham wrote:I mean, we make full use of all Ghostbusters.

Dang, more madness to pick up.

I really need a massive Amazon card to purchase all the Ghostbusters books
D-Maximal_Primal
News Admin

Postby Big Grim » Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:56 am

Weapon: Galaxial Rocket Launcher
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:Dang, more madness to pick up.

The recent sale on Comixology gave me a chance to buy the everything they had and damn near all of it is amazing. I want more and this crossover is just a delight!

I do wonder if this will stay canon and be mentioned vaguely in the same way the Turtles crossovers have?
Big Grim
Gestalt Team Leader
News Credits: 146

Postby D-Maximal_Primal » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:17 pm

Big Grim wrote:
D-Maximal_Primal wrote:Dang, more madness to pick up.

The recent sale on Comixology gave me a chance to buy the everything they had and damn near all of it is amazing. I want more and this crossover is just a delight!

I do wonder if this will stay canon and be mentioned vaguely in the same way the Turtles crossovers have?

I hope we see more of Ectotron. It would be awesome if the GB comics would be allowed to keep a hold of him after this crossover
D-Maximal_Primal
News Admin

Postby Stargrave » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:05 am

Motto: "It’s all the in the reflexes"
Weapon: Glass Gas Gun
I FINALLY got out to the comic shop and snagged the first two issues. Hooked! This is very much a longtime love of mine a Transformers What If..? story. Like Hearts of Steel only modern and with Ghostbusters. Ten pounds of awesome in a five pound bag I can’t wait to read the rest.

Ghostbusters was one of the first movies we rented for our VCR when I was a kid and I rented it and re-rented it dozens of times just playing it all weekend long. You totally got chocolate in my peanut butter.
Stargrave
News Staff
News Credits: 207
Alt Mode: A left leg
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 7
Courage: 8
Firepower: 4
Skill: 2

Previous

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 10 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Jazz" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Megatron Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Fusion Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 11.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Elita-1" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Misfire and Aimless" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Apeface" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 04 Deluxe Class Movie 1 Autobot Ratchet" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Firefly Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Sky Lynx" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #228 - Afterthoughts
Twincast / Podcast #228:
"Afterthoughts"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Monday, August 12th, 2019

New Items on eBay

Buy "Medal, Coin, Transformers Barricade Commemorative Medal COIN" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Power of the Primes Deluxe Class Dreadwind and Darkwing" on EBAY
Buy "Vintage G1 Transformers Trypticon Brunt Front Section Hasbro part original 1986" on EBAY
Buy "Vintage G1 Transformers Trypticon Brunt Right Tread 1986" on EBAY
Buy "Vintage G1 Transformers Trypticon Brunt Left And Right Tread 1986" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers g1 reissue walmart Minibot Bumblebee,outback,tailgate,swerve...." on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Scrapmetal Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Studio Series Premiere Deluxe WWII BUMBLEBEE (26) Brand New HTF" on EBAY