Transformers: The Manga - coming from Viz Media

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Transformers: The Manga - coming from Viz Media

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:01 pm

Motto: "It's not done right if it's not done well."
Weapon: Saber Blade
It seems that Jim Sorenson's next book, Transformers: A Visual History, isn't the only new piece of Transformers print material coming from Viz Media. Viz has just Tweeted the announcement of Transformers: The Manga, Volume 1, a collection of the original Japanese manga from 1985, originally published by TV magazine, to be released in the United States later this Winter.

Note that the accompanying artwork included with the Tweet is actually a preexisting work. Originally, this artwork was the cover of a huge compendium released by Million Publishing back in 2002, which had compiled all of the 1985-1991 Transformers manga. Later, Million (under their new name Hero-X) rereleased this collection broken apart into seven individual volumes, split across each individual Japanese G1 series. The particular version of the art seen here in the Tweet is of Volume 1 of that split-apart series, which contained only the Fight! Super Robot Lifeform Transformers manga and story pages.

It is presumed that Viz's releases will be an official English-translated release of Hero-X's seven volumes, but it is currently unknown what kind of English translation this will be (as in, how faithful it may be to the original Japanese version). After all, this is no ordinary Japanese manga series we're dealing with here. Rather, it is a Japanese manga of Japanese-original stories (and characters, in later installments) published as part of the Japanese release of an American property featuring (at first) American-original characters.

So, it remains to be seen if this will use such terminology as "Optimus Prime", "Autobot", "Decepticon", etc. or "Convoy", "Cybertron", "Destron", etc. Or if such Western Transformers phrases like "By the Allspark!", "Scrap!", "Stick it in neutral!" "Sweet Solus Prime!" etc. will be used over less specific phrases like "Oh no!", "Curses!", "Stop right there!", "Oh my goodness!" etc.

Here is the original Tweet - https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1146868351236562947
Announcement: Transformers: The Manga Volume 1, rolls out this Winter. This collection of Generation 1 Transformers manga strips ran in Japan’s TV Magazine in the 1980’s and will be published in the United States for the first time!

Image
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
User avatar
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
Posts: 31457
News Credits: 293
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Tampa, FL
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 6
Rank: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Viz Media Set To Release Transformers: The Manga

Postby ZeroWolf » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:14 am

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Weapon: Battle Blades
Greetings Seibertronians! Thanks to fellow Seibertron users, ScottyP and Sabrblade, we've gotten wind of a release from Viz Media that many thought we'd never see...A release of the Japanese Transformers Manga!

The news was shared by Viz on their Twitter Feed, the message read as follows:

Viz Media wrote:Announcement: Transformers: The Manga Volume 1, rolls out this Winter. This collection of Generation 1 Transformers manga strips ran in Japan’s TV Magazine in the 1980’s and will be published in the United States for the first time!

Image



Also, Sabrblade goes a little more in-depth about this release and explains it, as well as saying where, the image they give, came from.

Sabrblade wrote:It seems that Jim Sorenson's next book, Transformers: A Visual History, isn't the only new piece of Transformers print material coming from Viz Media. Viz has just Tweeted the announcement of Transformers: The Manga, Volume 1, a collection of the original Japanese manga from 1985, originally published by TV magazine, to be released in the United States later this Winter.

Note that the accompanying artwork included with the Tweet is actually a preexisting work. Originally, this artwork was the cover of a huge compendium released by Million Publishing back in 2002, which had compiled all of the 1985-1991 Transformers manga. Later, Million (under their new name Hero-X) rereleased this collection broken apart into seven individual volumes, split across each individual Japanese G1 series. The particular version of the art seen here in the Tweet is of Volume 1 of that split-apart series, which contained only the Fight! Super Robot Lifeform Transformers manga and story pages.

It is presumed that Viz's releases will be an official English-translated release of Hero-X's seven volumes, but it is currently unknown what kind of English translation this will be (as in, how faithful it may be to the original Japanese version). After all, this is no ordinary Japanese manga series we're dealing with here. Rather, it is a Japanese manga of Japanese-original stories (and characters, in later installments) published as part of the Japanese release of an American property featuring (at first) American-original characters.

So, it remains to be seen if this will use such terminology as "Optimus Prime", "Autobot", "Decepticon", etc. or "Convoy", "Cybertron", "Destron", etc. Or if such Western Transformers phrases like "By the Allspark!", "Scrap!", "Stick it in neutral!" "Sweet Solus Prime!" etc. will be used over less specific phrases like "Oh no!", "Curses!", "Stop right there!", "Oh my goodness!" etc.


What do you think of this news? Are you looking forward to these releases? Let us know in the Energon Pub and stay tuned to Seibertron for all the latest news and reviews!
Got news for Seibertron? Share it here!
ZeroWolf
News Staff
Posts: 8932
News Credits: 285
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:58 am
Location: North East UK

Re: Transformers: The Manga - coming from Viz Media

Postby Skritz » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:08 pm

Well that's neat and I wouldn't mind if the terminology is changed to the more familiar (and now brand-wide) words we know such as 'Optimus Prime' or 'Autobots'. However personally I hope the text tries to be as faithful as possible and not subject to malicious rewrite by the translation team.
User avatar
Skritz
Godmaster
Posts: 1604
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:40 am

Re: Transformers: The Manga - coming from Viz Media

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:24 pm

Motto: "It's not done right if it's not done well."
Weapon: Saber Blade
Skritz wrote:Well that's neat and I wouldn't mind if the terminology is changed to the more familiar (and now brand-wide) words we know such as 'Optimus Prime' or 'Autobots'. However personally I hope the text tries to be as faithful as possible and not subject to malicious rewrite by the translation team.
Indeed. We don't need things like "By the Allspark!" or "Sweet Solus Prime!" in Japanese G1 fiction from 1985 (especially since concepts like those didn't yet exist back then in any country or continuity).
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
User avatar
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
Posts: 31457
News Credits: 293
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Tampa, FL
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 6
Rank: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Re: Transformers: The Manga - coming from Viz Media

Postby ZeroWolf » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:09 pm

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Weapon: Battle Blades
I'm okay with Convoy becoming Optimus Prime, but I hope they keep Ginrai and the Godmasters intact.
Got news for Seibertron? Share it here!
ZeroWolf
News Staff
Posts: 8932
News Credits: 285
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:58 am
Location: North East UK

Re: Transformers: The Manga - coming from Viz Media

Postby datguy86 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:42 pm

Motto: "SHEEAGH!"
I'd personally prefer the original terms explained with a preface and glossary purely from a historical standpoint. However, I think marketing will win out here and the changes to current terms will be made.

Regardless, I look forward to this.
Image

Actively Searching: Universe 2.0 Ratchet, Universe 2.0 Inferno, Hasbro Masterpiece Starscream
datguy86
Combiner
Posts: 445
News Credits: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:18 pm
Location: Pennsyltucky
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 4
Endurance: 5
Rank: 3
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 6

Re: Transformers: The Manga - coming from Viz Media

Postby Skritz » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:26 pm

Sabrblade wrote:
Skritz wrote:Well that's neat and I wouldn't mind if the terminology is changed to the more familiar (and now brand-wide) words we know such as 'Optimus Prime' or 'Autobots'. However personally I hope the text tries to be as faithful as possible and not subject to malicious rewrite by the translation team.
Indeed. We don't need things like "By the Allspark!" or "Sweet Solus Prime!" in Japanese G1 fiction from 1985 (especially since concepts like those didn't yet exist back then in any country or continuity).


Normally I'd be a sticker for accurate-as-possible translations. However, Transformers is an odd case: this isn't like an '80 or '90 manga/anime translation job which scrubbed away the original Japanese names to the point the international fanbase tend to prefer using those they grew up with. In the case of Transformers, the initial fiction was American before being Japanese (even if the toys came first, Diaclone had little to no fiction). As such, the names like 'Convoy' and 'Destron' are themselves product of international dub change, in this case the Japanese adaptating the American fiction.

But this also goes both way: once you leave the confines of G1 season 1 to 3, I do think the Japanese names should have precedence. Thus the likes of Gilmer should not be renamed 'Submarauder' or Cab being renamed 'Hosehead'.
User avatar
Skritz
Godmaster
Posts: 1604
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:40 am

Re: Transformers: The Manga - coming from Viz Media

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:56 pm

Motto: "It's not done right if it's not done well."
Weapon: Saber Blade
datguy86 wrote:I'd personally prefer the original terms explained with a preface and glossary purely from a historical standpoint.
Most English manga volumes have a Translation Notes section in the back of each volume that explains certain terms or phrases used in the translation to help readers to better understand them.

Skritz wrote:Normally I'd be a sticker for accurate-as-possible translations. However, Transformers is an odd case: this isn't like an '80 or '90 manga/anime translation job which scrubbed away the original Japanese names to the point the international fanbase tend to prefer using those they grew up with. In the case of Transformers, the initial fiction was American before being Japanese (even if the toys came first, Diaclone had little to no fiction). As such, the names like 'Convoy' and 'Destron' are themselves product of international dub change, in this case the Japanese adaptating the American fiction.

But this also goes both way: once you leave the confines of G1 season 1 to 3, I do think the Japanese names should have precedence. Thus the likes of Gilmer should not be renamed 'Submarauder' or Cab being renamed 'Hosehead'.
Great minds and all that jazz. ;)^
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
User avatar
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
Posts: 31457
News Credits: 293
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Tampa, FL
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 6
Rank: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Re: Transformers: The Manga - coming from Viz Media

Postby Sabrblade » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:28 pm

Motto: "It's not done right if it's not done well."
Weapon: Saber Blade
Preorder is up on Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/dp/1974710564/

Judging by the page count and the mention of "The Great Transformer War" (which was a manga series for Transformers 2010), this could be a volume containing the contents of both the first and second volumes that Hero-X released.

Originally serialized in Japan’s TV Magazine, these classic stories from the Generation 1 era of Transformers are now available in English for the first time!

The Autobots and Decepticons have been locked in a brutal civil war for eons, and now their battle has come to Earth! The Autobots seek peace and coexistence, while the Decepticons seek power and control. Earth and its populace are caught between the two as these mighty factions go head-to-head. Transformers took the world by storm shortly after their debut, and these previously uncollected stories were a vital part of that takeover!

The Autobots and their young friend Kenji stand tall against the Decepticons in an interplanetary conflict! Packed with thrilling Transformers tales, this hardcover collector’s volume contains classic stories such as “The Great Transformer War” and “Fight! Super Robot Lifeform Transformers.”
Series: Transformers: The Manga
Hardcover: 272 pages
Publisher: VIZ Media LLC (February 11, 2020)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1974710564
ISBN-13: 978-1974710560
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
User avatar
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
Posts: 31457
News Credits: 293
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Tampa, FL
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 6
Rank: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Amazon Listing Found For Viz's Media Transformers Manga Collection

Postby ZeroWolf » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:53 pm

Motto: "My past no longer binds my future..."
Weapon: Battle Blades
Greetings Seibertronians! Following on from this news here about the forthcoming Transformers: The Manga adaption from Viz Media (originally published in Japan in TV Magazine then collected by Million Publishing, who renamed themselves Hero-X later), fellow user, Sabrblade, has found an amazon listing for the first part of the collection!

Image
Note that this image is from the Hero-X release of the first collected volume and may not be indicative of what the Viz Media version will look like.

Here is the information from Amazon:

Originally serialized in Japan’s TV Magazine, these classic stories from the Generation 1 era of Transformers are now available in English for the first time!

The Autobots and Decepticons have been locked in a brutal civil war for eons, and now their battle has come to Earth! The Autobots seek peace and coexistence, while the Decepticons seek power and control. Earth and its populace are caught between the two as these mighty factions go head-to-head. Transformers took the world by storm shortly after their debut, and these previously uncollected stories were a vital part of that takeover!

The Autobots and their young friend Kenji stand tall against the Decepticons in an interplanetary conflict! Packed with thrilling Transformers tales, this hardcover collector’s volume contains classic stories such as “The Great Transformer War” and “Fight! Super Robot Lifeform Transformers.”


Series: Transformers: The Manga
Hardcover: 272 pages
Publisher: VIZ Media LLC (February 11, 2020)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1974710564
ISBN-13: 978-1974710560



Sabrblade also mentioned the possibility that, judging by the description and page count, that this collection would include the first two volumes of the Hero-X collection.

Will you be checking this out? Let us know in the Energon Pub and stay tuned to Seibertron for all the latest news and reviews!
Got news for Seibertron? Share it here!
ZeroWolf
News Staff
Posts: 8932
News Credits: 285
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:58 am
Location: North East UK

Re: Transformers: The Manga - coming from Viz Media

Postby triKlops » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:35 pm

Motto: "New England Transformers Collectors Group member"
PreOrdered as soon as i saw the link!
Image

Looking for Fans Toys Scoria FT-04X silver upgrade feet for
MP-08X Grimlock. Please DM if willing to sell for reasonable price.
User avatar
triKlops
Godmaster
Posts: 1655
News Credits: 9
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:35 am
Location: Rhode Island

Re: Transformers: The Manga - coming from Viz Media

Postby Coptur » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:34 am

With the IDW stuff being very below standard (except the Ghostbuster crossover) i'm happy to see this being release.
Coptur
Vehicon
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:32 pm


Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Battleslash" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Energon Igniters Nitro Bumblebee Action Figure - Included Core Powers Driving Action - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 7-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Slug" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warriors Class Sideswipe Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Optimus Prime Voice Changer Helmet" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Legends Class Insecticon Bombshell Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 06 Voyager Class Movie 1 Starscream" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #226 - Fire in the Sky
Twincast / Podcast #226:
"Fire in the Sky"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, July 7th, 2019

New Items on eBay

Buy "Transformers AoE SDCC Dinobots Grimlock Strafe Slug Snarl" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Age of Extinction Hot Shot" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers The Loyal Subjects 1/48 Hound Wave 3 Action Vinyl Chase Figure" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS Generations War for Cybertron Siege 35th Anniversary Bluestreak NEW" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers 4 Age of Extinction  FIRST EDITION OPTIMUS PRIME Kids Toys Hot" on EBAY
Buy "Playskool Mr Potato Head Transformers Mixable Mashable Heroes Starscream New MOC" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Prime Robots in Disguise Soundwave with Laserbeak" on EBAY
Buy "TRANSFORMERS AGE OF EXTINCTION HOT SHOT, Generations Deluxe 2014" on EBAY