This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Hasbro Press Release listing Green Initiatives for its Toys

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Hasbro Press Release listing Green Initiatives for its Toys

Postby Stargrave » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:24 pm

Motto: "It’s all the in the reflexes"
Weapon: Glass Gas Gun
Hasbro will begin phasing out plastic from their packaging beginning in 2020. That includes polybags, elastic bands, shrink wrap, window sheets and blister packs, all to be phased out from new product releases by 2022. At the top of the press release it mentions products such as Nerf, My Little Pony, Monopoly, Magic: The Gathering, and Power Rangers, but does not state Transformers. This appears to be just a cursory listing of their products and does not specifically exclude Transformers.

Here's the press release from Hasbro - it's important to note at the end that we know with 100% certainty that this TerraCycle project does involve Transformers toys so these changes will be seen in our fandom at some point. TerraCyle recycles all forms of toys for reuse in various ways as described in the press release excerpt listed below.
From the press release:
"Reimagining and redesigning packaging across our brand portfolio is a complex undertaking, but we believe it’s important and our teams are up for the challenge,” said John Frascotti, President and Chief Operating Officer, Hasbro. “We know consumers share our commitment to protecting the environment, and we want families to feel good knowing that our packaging will be virtually plastic-free, and our products can be easily recycled through our Toy Recycling Program with TerraCycle*.”
Hasbro’s Toy Recycling Program enables consumers to send well-loved Hasbro toys and games to TerraCycle, a global leader in product recycling, who will recycle them into materials to be used in the construction of play spaces, flowerpots, park benches, and other innovative uses. Hasbro recently announced the expansion of the program to France, Germany and Brazil, and plans to expand the program to additional markets with the goal of ensuring all Hasbro toys and games are recyclable in the major markets where it does business."

Read the full press release below.

"Beginning in 2020, Hasbro will begin phasing out plastic from new toy and game packaging across its portfolio of iconic brands like NERF, MY LITTLE PONY, MONOPOLY, MAGIC: THE GATHERING and POWER RANGERS
PAWTUCKET, R.I.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 20, 2019-- Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ: HAS) announced today that, beginning in 2020, it plans to begin phasing out plastic from new product packaging, including plastic elements like polybags, elastic bands, shrink wrap, window sheets and blister packs. The company’s ambition is to eliminate virtually all plastic in packaging for new products by the end of 2022.
“Removing plastic from our packaging is the latest advancement in our more than decade-long journey to create a more sustainable future for our business and our world,” said Brian Goldner, Chairman and CEO, Hasbro. “We have an experienced, cross-functional team in place to manage the complexity of this undertaking and will look to actively engage employees, customers, and partners as we continue to innovate and drive progress as a leader in sustainability.”
Hasbro has a long-standing commitment to environmental sustainability, from eliminating wire ties in 2010 and adding How2Recycle® labeling in 2016, to the use of plant-based bioPET in 2018, and most recently, launching an industry-leading toy recycling program with TerraCycle®. Hasbro’s Sustainability Center of Excellence is charged with driving the integration of sustainability across the business, including driving sustainable packaging design principles.
“Reimagining and redesigning packaging across our brand portfolio is a complex undertaking, but we believe it’s important and our teams are up for the challenge,” said John Frascotti, President and Chief Operating Officer, Hasbro. “We know consumers share our commitment to protecting the environment, and we want families to feel good knowing that our packaging will be virtually plastic-free, and our products can be easily recycled through our Toy Recycling Program with TerraCycle*.”
Hasbro’s Toy Recycling Program enables consumers to send well-loved Hasbro toys and games to TerraCycle, a global leader in product recycling, who will recycle them into materials to be used in the construction of play spaces, flowerpots, park benches, and other innovative uses. Hasbro recently announced the expansion of the program to France, Germany and Brazil, and plans to expand the program to additional markets with the goal of ensuring all Hasbro toys and games are recyclable in the major markets where it does business.
To learn more about Hasbro's sustainability efforts, visit http://www.hasbro.com/csr and read our CSR Report, Playing with Purpose."
Stargrave
Godmaster
News Credits: 340
Alt Mode: A left leg
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Courage: 8
Firepower: 4
Skill: 2

Re: Hasbro to Start Going Green With No Plastic Starting in 2020

Postby Treetop Maximus » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:30 pm

Motto: "At least the opening was good."
Weapon: Railgun
Not a fan of open packaging because I like to use my packaging for moving, but if it's just going to be Masterpiece-style packaging then I'm down for that.
Hirasawa Yui is the one truth of this world.
Treetop Maximus
Targetmaster
Watch Treetop Maximus on YouTube
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Courage: 6
Firepower: 9
Skill: 5

Postby frogbat » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:51 pm

Motto: "All my 6 nipples are tingling."
Weapon: Self-Propelled Photon Cannon
I’m glad they’re doing this... every little helps. They already reduced some packaging volume...
My personal prime collection so far in descending order of how great i reckon the toy is -
FE Prime, Silas Breakdown (Powerizer), Dreadwing (Powerizer), FE Bulkhead, Voyager StarScream (Powerizer), Ratchet, Soundwave, Arcee, Voyager Megatron (Powerizer), Wheeljack, Thundertron (Powerizer), Ultra Magnus (Powerizer), Knockout, Cliffjumper, Bumblebee,Airachnid
frogbat
Pretender
Strength: 6
Speed: 7
Firepower: 5
Skill: 7

Re: Hasbro Press Release listing Green Initiatives for its Toys

Postby Carnivius_Prime » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:02 pm

Motto: "A cunning smile is more devastating than the fiercest weapon."
Weapon: Anti-Thermal Cannon
Good. I've wanted them to ditch the plastic for ages. Not just for environmental reasons but I would far prefer a card tray that can be untabbed and flattened tidily like the box itself can for storage reasons and then retabbed and reformed for when you might need them again. Got a whole closet full of Studio Series boxes I like to keep cos they look nice and they are storing all the nice background display stands too, all of which could be flattened much more if not for those plastic trays.

I thought they were bringing in paper ties to secure the figures to the trays anyways. There definitely was a stage where they did use paper ones but all the newly released figures I've bought for a while now been using plastic ones.
I have anxiety, depression and aspergers syndrome so my behaviour can be erratic. I don't mean offense to anyone. Just very picky about my Transformers collecting. You're all cool! :)

Likes: Bayverse, Marvel UK G1, Geoff Senior art, '86 movie (more for style/soundtrack rather than Star Wars plot)
Dislikes: Bumblebee movie (lousy rehashed dumb crud), TFA, G1 cartoon, IDW G1, BW/BM, MP. The entire concept of Autobot Megatron
Carnivius_Prime
City Commander
News Credits: 19

Postby TulioDude » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:46 pm

Motto: "Never doubt the awesomess."
Weapon: Energo-Sword
Great on Hasbro's part! :APPLAUSE:
But how will this new packaging look like? :-?
Silverwing wrote:Also, I feel compelled to give the obligatory: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay: :michaelbay:
One for each year of the Movieverse's decade strong tenure. Here's to a few more explosive years!

Here is my DeviantArt page and my Tumblr blog.
TulioDude
Gestalt
News Credits: 6
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 5
Endurance: 9
Firepower: 8
Skill: 7

Postby Jelze Bunnycat » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:57 pm

Motto: "The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance."
TulioDude wrote:Great on Hasbro's part! :APPLAUSE:
But how will this new packaging look like? :-?

Cyber series ;)
The resident Rewind... well, half of one :lol:

- Jelze Bunnycat =:3

Looking for:
- TR Furos (Hardhead's head) and Crashbash (lost him :()
- PotP Punch head
- TR Galvatron right arm (the gun one)
- CW Brake-Neck/UW Wildrider, CW Offroad
- TR Twinferno & Grotusque
- Greenlight, Lancer and PotP Elita-1 (plus repro Victorion hands and feet?)
Jelze Bunnycat
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 241
Strength: 5
Speed: 8

Postby Megatron Wolf » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:29 pm

Motto: "Cry havoc and let slip the Wolves of War, Vae Victus!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
You all do realize this is bad for collectors right? If its a fully enclosed box then theres not way to see the figure before you buy, with hasbros terrible quality control this is very bad. You wont be able to tell if the figure is missing anything, if it has defects or is assembled wrong, all bad for collectors and to an extent everyone. If they do open boxes this is just as bad cause theres no protection for the figure making damage much more likely plus you have no idea how many people touched the figure before you, that doesnt sit right with me. Im all for saving the environment but they can find better ways to do it that doesnt potentially screw over their consumers.
Current TF count: 2042

Megatron Wolf
Faction Commander
News Credits: 8
Strength: 7
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7
Skill: 10

Postby Jelze Bunnycat » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:01 pm

Motto: "The only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance."
Megatron Wolf wrote:You all do realize this is bad for collectors right? If its a fully enclosed box then theres not way to see the figure before you buy, with hasbros terrible quality control this is very bad. You wont be able to tell if the figure is missing anything, if it has defects or is assembled wrong, all bad for collectors and to an extent everyone.

Siege quality has been above par so far, with only... 2 major issues so far (first run Starscream and the current Slamdance)? Besides, you run into the same risks ordering online, no matter what packaging is used.

If they do open boxes this is just as bad cause theres no protection for the figure making damage much more likely plus you have no idea how many people touched the figure before you, that doesnt sit right with me. Im all for saving the environment but they can find better ways to do it that doesnt potentially screw over their consumers.

That I agree with you there, with the RiD/TLK/Cyberverse One-Steps and Cyberverse Ultra Class scaring me. Plus, it makes theft easier, especially in the discount chains (I've seen things... bad things).

Time will tell what Hasbro will come up with.
The resident Rewind... well, half of one :lol:

- Jelze Bunnycat =:3

Looking for:
- TR Furos (Hardhead's head) and Crashbash (lost him :()
- PotP Punch head
- TR Galvatron right arm (the gun one)
- CW Brake-Neck/UW Wildrider, CW Offroad
- TR Twinferno & Grotusque
- Greenlight, Lancer and PotP Elita-1 (plus repro Victorion hands and feet?)
Jelze Bunnycat
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 241
Strength: 5

Postby EvasionModeBumblebee » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:55 am

Motto: "Are you telling me you could've been a Camaro this whole time?!"
Weapon: Plasma Cannon
It’s cool that Hasbro is doing this, but without windows to see the figure I’d be concerned about repackers.
The Beekeeper of Seibertron

Check out my Studio Series customs! Newest update: SS-99 Battletrap
evasionmodebumblebee-s-studio-series-repaints-p2062217.php#p2062217

AKA CamaroBee
EvasionModeBumblebee
Godmaster
News Credits: 51
Alt Mode: 2011 Concept Camaro
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Courage: 10
Firepower: 3
Skill: 9

Postby FellintoOblivion » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:28 pm

frogbat wrote:I’m glad they’re doing this... every little helps. They already reduced some packaging volume...

"Every little bit helps" is slacktivist pomposity of the highest order.

Every little bit helps? Great. Buy less toys, that will help. How many less toys will you commit to buying this year to help?
Looking for the Megatron gun (or just the stock) that came with 20th anniversary MP Optimus Prime.
FellintoOblivion
Vehicon
News Credits: 1

Postby Stargrave » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:06 pm

Motto: "It’s all the in the reflexes"
Weapon: Glass Gas Gun
FellintoOblivion wrote:
frogbat wrote:I’m glad they’re doing this... every little helps. They already reduced some packaging volume...

"Every little bit helps" is slacktivist pomposity of the highest order.

Every little bit helps? Great. Buy less toys, that will help. How many less toys will you commit to buying this year to help?

How much pollution are you creating being on line right now? Cell phone? Home computer? How do you get around town? I don’t care I’m just making a point.

They didn’t say they hope and pray the landfills will reduce themselves.

People who lash out like you just did usually are hurting in some way. If that’s the case I’m sorry friend. Try to Spend your finite non-recyclable personal energy making a better positive point instead of kicking someone’s positive attitude down. It’s better for your mental health and watch real change happen.
Stargrave
Godmaster
News Credits: 340
Alt Mode: A left leg
Strength: 3
Firepower: 4
Skill: 2

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #70 Marvel Comics 1990 (CA) Wildman 210309A"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #38 Marvel Comics 1988 (W) Budiansky (CA) Springer 210422C"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #13 RI Incentive Variant 1:10 IDW Comics 2019 BOLD NEW ERA 13RI"
TRANSFORMERS #13 R ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE #47 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2015 47RI (CA)Cahill"
Transformers MORE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Autobot WHEELJACK Transformers Generations Combiner Wars IDW pack-in comic book"
Autobot WHEELJACK ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #28 Marvel Comics 1987 (CA) Akin (W) Budiansky 231010D"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers KING GRIMLOCK #4 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 SEP210485 4B (CA) Kyriazis"
Transformers KING ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers ROBOTS IN DISGUISE #1 sub IDW Comics 2015 201208A (CA) Sengaus"
Transformers ROBOT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Best of MEGATRON #1 IDW Comics 2022 JAN220493 (CA) Biggie"
Transformers Best ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #10 Cvr A IDW Comics 2021 SEP210478 10A (CA) Malkova"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #40 Cvr B IDW Comics 2022 DEC210541 40B (CA) Brokenshire"
TRANSFORMERS #40 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #31 Cvr A IDW Comics 2021 MAR210482 31A (CA) Zuniga (W) Ruckley"
TRANSFORMERS #31 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #17 Marvel Comics 1986 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 210422A"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers MOVIE PREQUEL #1 Cvr B IDW Comics 2007 1B (CA) Figeruoa 230323A"
Transformers MOVIE ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #345 - The Roast
Twincast / Podcast #345:
"The Roast"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 9th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Grotusque and Scorponok Deluxe Action Figure Exclusive Set" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Combiner Wars Blast Off Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Swoop" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Elita-1" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Prowl Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Autobot Twinferno and Daburu" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titan Masters Fangry Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Superion Collection Pack" on AMAZON