Studio Series Ultimate Optimus Prime (SS-44 Repaint/upgrades)

Post all your customized Transformers here. Whether it's a small mod or a true kitbash, we'd love to see it!

Studio Series Ultimate Optimus Prime (SS-44 Repaint/upgrades)

Postby EvasionModeBumblebee » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:05 pm

Motto: "Are you telling me you could've been a Camaro this whole time?!"
Weapon: Plasma Cannon
"For today, in the name of freedom, we take the battle to them."

Optimus Prime in Dark of the Moon is what I think of when I think Optimus Prime. There have been lots of great Optimus Prime figures over the years, but I have always been wanting a definitive DOTM version. Quite a few years later, Studio Series provided! The figure itself is fantastic, but there were a few upgrades I wanted to make.

The upgrades to SS-44 include:

- Updated paint apps on Prime, the trailer, and weapons.
- Swapped legs with SS-05 for the foldable leg pieces.
- Added smokestacks for truck mode (still kind of a WIP)
- Added some more weapons to complete the arsenal (Striker rifle, Energon hooks, SS-05's blades)

- Weapons -

Weapons1.jpg

Repainted Axe and handheld Sword from SS-44

Weapons2.jpg

Unchanged blades from SS-05 and repainted shield from SS-44

Weapons3.jpg

Repainted Ion Blaster from SS-44 and Energon hooks from the DOTM retool of Battle Blades Prime (with slots cut so they can fit in the arm panels of SS-44).

Weapons4.jpg

Painted up Striker Rifle from Shapeways

Jetwing Guns.jpg

Painted up Jetwing guns from SS-44

- Vehicle Mode & Trailer -

Vehicle mode saw the addition of several new paint apps (mostly silver), some chrome, new smokestacks, and a gloss coat. I had intended to use the same plastic pieces I used on SS-05 for smokestacks, but the smokestack stubs on SS-32/44 were remolded and are slightly larger, ruling that out as an option. I recently found some drinking straws that I doubled up to fit on the figure. They are easily removable (which is nice) but are also a little wider than I would like. I may look into more alternatives in the future, but they get the job done for now.
GroupShot.jpg

Prime (without trailer) with his Autobots.

TruckMode4.jpg

Better view of the truck mode.

TruckMode2.jpg

Rear view of the truck mode.

The trailer was completely painted over in silver, then the blue lining and details were added. The wheels were chromed and the area above the tires was painted a metallic gunmetal. Finally, The red and white reflective bits and taillights finished off the paint apps for the trailer.

TruckandTrailer.jpg

TruckandTrailer2.jpg

(Continued below)
The Beekeeper of Seibertron
EvasionModeBumblebee
Targetmaster
News Credits: 15
Alt Mode: 2011 Concept Camaro
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Courage: 10
Firepower: 3
Skill: 9

Re: Studio Series Ultimate Optimus Prime (SS-44 Repaint/upgrades)

Postby EvasionModeBumblebee » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:16 pm

TruckandTrailer3.jpg

- Robot Mode -

Robot mode saw a lot of silver/gunmetal paint to cover the gray on the original figure, as well as a lot of gold/blue details. I was originally going to leave the silver windows from SS-44, but after adding a lot of different shades of silver/gunmetal/dark gray I decided to paint them gloss black so they'd stand out more. I'm glad I did, I really like how it turned out!
RobotMode.jpg

RatchetLetsRoll.jpg

"Ratchet, let's roll.

AxeandSword.jpg

VsShockwave.jpg

Ion Blaster.jpg

PieceOfTin.jpg

"Piece of tin."

GetDownHereSentinel.jpg

"You were the one who taught me freedom is everyone's right."

WhoWouldYouBeWithoutMe.jpg

"Besides. . . who would you be without me, Prime?"
EvasionModeBumblebee
Targetmaster

Re: Studio Series Ultimate Optimus Prime (SS-44 Repaint/upgrades)

Postby EvasionModeBumblebee » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:31 pm

DOTMPosterPose.jpg

DOTMending.jpg

- Jetwing pack -

Bringing it all together, I painted up the Jetpack, going over it with silver and adding some detail work, as well as some dry brushing to simulate the look from the movie. Much like on Prime himself there are some sections that should have flames, but that's not currently something I'm able to paint. I was able to add the blue paint on those sections, though.

Jetpack2.jpg

Jetpack1.jpg

B023CF88-05F8-4D96-9F3B-78CE6C846E40.jpeg

Prime with the completed armory and showing how the smokestacks look in robot mode (and a cameo from Bandai R2-D2)

Well, there it is! I'm super happy with how it turned out, I am sorry about the washed-out pictures though, I'll be messing with the saturation on them soon to get them looking more like they should. I'd be happy to hear any feedback you have!

Paint used:
- Testor's enamels:
- Metallic silver
- Metallic gold
- Flat red
- Gloss dark blue
- Gloss tangerine
- Flat white

Testor's sprays:
- Metallic silver
- Clear gloss coat

Other:
- Black Model Wash (grill detailing)
- Decoart acrylic metallic gunmetal
EvasionModeBumblebee
Targetmaster

Return to Customizations

Featured Products on Amazon.com

Buy "Transformers Toys Optimus Prime Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Matrix Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 & Up, 11.5"" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Tailgate" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Snarl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Power of the Primes Punch-Counterpunch and Prima Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Titan Class Predaking" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Breakdown Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers B1798AS0 Warpath Figure Combiner Wars" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Blitzwing and Decepticon Hazard" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Voyager Class Broadside and Blunderbuss" on AMAZON
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #238 - The Podcast That Leapt Through Time
Twincast / Podcast #238:
"The Podcast That Leapt Through Time"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Sunday, January 12th, 2020

New Items on eBay

Buy "Transformers Takara Generations Titans Return Legends LG Hardhead Skullcruncher" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Titan Returns Legend Class Deception Fangry Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Generations Titan Returns Legend Class Autobot Cosmos Hasbro" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Titan Return Kup" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Robots In Disguise Titan Changers Bumblebee Action Figure" on EBAY
Buy "Transformers Legends LG40 Astrotrain" on EBAY
Buy "HASBRO Transformers Titans Return Autobot Cosmos NRFB Action Figure UFO" on EBAY
Buy "HASBRO Transformers Titans Return Sharkticon Gnaw NRFB Action Figure" on EBAY