This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Hasbro Memo From 1986 Asks to Replace Shockwave in the Cartoon and Add More Predaking

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Hasbro Memo From 1986 Asks to Replace Shockwave in the Cartoon and Add More Predaking

Postby william-james88 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:17 pm

Motto: "'till All Are One"
The theme today is definitely about a behind the scenes look at all things Transformers. While we had a rare look at early stages of recent toy development earlier today, we now share with you a memo from Hasbro that really shows how prominent the idea of selling toys was in the 80s and how single minded they were with the G1 show just being a commercial. And in this case, to the detriment of good story telling and lore.

It's just one memo about Five Faces of Darkness part III but it speaks volumes. As fans may recall, there is a scene where Blitzwing does not accept the deal proposed by the Quintessons because he seems to know not to trust them. This never really comes back and feels rather random, especially for a character that was not prominent within the Deception ranks. Well, it turns out Flint Dille initially intended it to be Shockwave who was weary since he was older and more aware of the Quintessons than his fellow Decepticons. It definitely ties into the greater lore of Shockwave being ancient which has been revisited in Transformers fiction. As you can see from the memo, it was asked that Shockwave be replaced since his toy was no longer on the market. So Flint Dile chose Blitzwing as a replacement.

The memo is pretty epic for other reasons. Check out that note in response to Hasbro stating that the events of the 86 movie will be recounted in a vague way with no images so as not to spoil the movie. Plus, there is a really big push for Predaking so if you ever felt he seemed shoehorned in, well now you know why. And if he doesn't feel shoehorned, then that's just a testament to Flint Dile being and agile writer.

Below is the original outline with Shockwave there followed by the memo along with links to all resources pertaining to the Five Faces of Darkness.

We thank fellow Seibertronian Sabrblade for bringing this to our attention and to Greebtron for providing links on the matter.

If you have any news, rumours, or hot new sightings to report which you feel should be front paged,
please contact us using this form.

william-james88
News Staff
News Credits: 4499
Buy from william-james88 on eBay

Re: Hasbro Memo From 1986 Asks to Replace Shockwave in the Cartoon and Add More Predaking

Postby Sabrblade » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:16 pm

Motto: "Can't do a job halfway. What's worth doing is worth doing well, I say."
Weapon: Saber Blade
I'm gonna sit here and wait to see how many people think this might be an April Fools post. :P
"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 437
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Re: Hasbro Memo From 1986 Asks to Replace Shockwave in the Cartoon and Add More Predaking

Postby ZeldaTheSwordsman » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:06 am

Motto: "Earthrise restock or riot"
One of the things that stands out to me about this is that if Shockwave's presence here had been kept, it would mean he survived his intended (and unanimated) demise from the movie: Unicron crushing his watchtower.
WANT:
* Cybertron Galvatron key, missiles
* Omega Lock
* Primus Cyber Key, coattail panel
* Powerlinx Comettor
* Cyb Jetfire R gun and missile
* RiD Galvy dragon head, beast arms
* DotM Ironhide windshield, R hood assy.
* ROTF Jetfire R JTFR panel

Di Bonaventura is not a credible or trustworthy source. And most fans do like the diversity push, thanks.

Trading MOSC MMPR fliphead Pink Ranger for ER Fasttrack or SIEGE Refraktor
ZeldaTheSwordsman
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Randomhero » Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:32 am

ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:One of the things that stands out to me about this is that if Shockwave's presence here had been kept, it would mean he survived his intended (and unanimated) demise from the movie: Unicron crushing his watchtower.

The movie was being made at the same time as season one and the beginning of season two and by separate studios. Toei and AKOM. That’s why the insecticons were featured in season three with even speaking roles. Sure we all accept clones and whatever to justify it but that’s not the real reason. Even if his death was put in the movie he probably still would have shown up if they’d decided to keep his inclusion in five faces of darkness because communication was just that poor at times.
Randomhero
Gestalt
News Credits: 3

Postby RiddlerJ » Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:03 am

Randomhero wrote:
ZeldaTheSwordsman wrote:One of the things that stands out to me about this is that if Shockwave's presence here had been kept, it would mean he survived his intended (and unanimated) demise from the movie: Unicron crushing his watchtower.

The movie was being made at the same time as season one and the beginning of season two and by separate studios. Toei and AKOM. That’s why the insecticons were featured in season three with even speaking roles. Sure we all accept clones and whatever to justify it but that’s not the real reason. Even if his death was put in the movie he probably still would have shown up if they’d decided to keep his inclusion in five faces of darkness because communication was just that poor at times.

I always assumed that's WHY Shockwave wasn't in the 3rd season at all. Not because the toy was no longer shipping (which it still was, I bought him when 3rd year guys were on the shelves) but because his death was specifically called out in the script. The movie wasn't completed but the script was, and people could catch if there were continuity flubs (they knew Starscream was a goner).
Things like the Insecticons disappearing were developed during the later storyboard stage and not mentioned by name in the script which is why they slipped though to the 3rd season. (I'm assuming)
RiddlerJ
Godmaster

Postby Sculyblast » Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:26 am

Shockwave would have made more sense than Blitzwing.

but for Hasbro to dump Shockwave! After all he has been through!
Sculyblast
Micromaster

Postby Sabrblade » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:01 am

Another piece about Shockwave's defection at the end:

Shadowman wrote:This is Sabrblade we're talking about. His ability to store trivial information about TV shows is downright superhuman.
Caelus wrote:My wife pointed out something interesting about the prehistoric Predacons. I said that everyone was complaining because transforming for them mostly consisted of them just standing up-right. She essentially said, 'So? That's what our ancestors did.'
Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby sto_vo_kor_2000 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:05 am

Motto: "Today is a good day to die......but the day is not yet over!"
I love it but even after all these years there’s still information out there that can be found about the production of the series and film
Predaprince wrote:I am very thankful to have posters like sto_vo_kor_2000 who is so energetic about improving others' understanding and enjoyment of the TF universe
Stormrider wrote:You often add interesting insights to conversations that makes the fledglings think and challenges even the sharpest minds

T-Macksimus wrote:I consider you and editor to be amongst the most "scholarly" in terms of your knowledge, demeanor and general approach

sto_vo_kor_2000
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 1

Postby sto_vo_kor_2000 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:45 pm

Randomhero wrote:The movie was being made at the same time as season one and the beginning of season two

That is not accurate
True enough that near the end of the airing of season one they were already discussing producing a movie actual production on that movie did not actually start until early work on the season two episodes were being made

and by
Predaprince wrote:I am very thankful to have posters like sto_vo_kor_2000 who is so energetic about improving others' understanding and enjoyment of the TF universe
Stormrider wrote:You often add interesting insights to conversations that makes the fledglings think and challenges even the sharpest minds

T-Macksimus wrote:I consider you and editor to be amongst the most "scholarly" in terms of your knowledge, demeanor and general approach

sto_vo_kor_2000
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Sabrblade » Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:12 pm

sto_vo_kor_2000 wrote:
Randomhero wrote:The movie was being made at the same time as season one and the beginning of season two

That is not accurate
True enough that near the end of the airing of season one they were already discussing producing a movie actual production on that movie did not actually start until early work on the season two episodes were being made

and by
The recently-presented original first-draft script of the movie was written by Ron Friedman in August 1984, before the first episode of the show even aired. It was the very next thing written after "Heavy Metal War".

Sabrblade
God Of Transformers

Postby sto_vo_kor_2000 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:12 am

Sabrblade wrote:
sto_vo_kor_2000 wrote:

That is not accurate

and by
The recently-presented original first-draft script of the movie was written by Ron Friedman in August 1984, before the first episode of the show even aired. It was the very next thing written after "Heavy Metal War".

Exactly
Altho I do believe the date of August is more of a starting date for the script and it wasn’t handed in till sometime later (and I guess I could be wrong on that even though I don’t think so) writing a script and a movie actully Being produced don’t always go hand-in-hand. The movie still wasn’t in production at that time, it was more of a “Possibility in waiting” plan The creators had in mind if the show proved to be the success they were thinking it would be

I got a question for you though, over the years I’ve heard some people claim that the first pilot (or at least part of it) aired on TV in the mid summer, before the September date that the rest of us got the show on, apparently part of a Sunday morning TV block of independent shows on Esther a Saturday or Sunday in maybe June or July……..But you tell the truth I never really looked into it

Any chance you know about these type of stories?

sto_vo_kor_2000
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Greebtron » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:24 am

Let's be clear: the first movie script was being outlined in August 1984, the script itself was finished in February 1985. Ron Friedman's agent had secured a deal with Griffin-Bacal that he would be locked in to writing, being credited and paid for any movies arising out of TV shows he worked on. He finds his way into a made-up position that didn't exist on other shows revising TF TV scripts in June and already has an outline for a movie by August. Coincidence? I think not.

Back to FFOD. I can see why Hasbro were all "Where's Poochie?" over the Predacons. Because you have a combiner team where every member costs more than a Scramble City team leader and thanks to the faction change during development, they have had to be dropped from the movie: the biggest promotion they could ever have.

A reminder that if you want the full FFOD material in one place, head to: https://sunbowmarvelarchive.blogspot.co ... -1987.html
Greebtron
Micromaster

Postby sto_vo_kor_2000 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:57 pm

Greebtron wrote:Let's be clear: the first movie script was being outlined in August 1984, the script itself was finished in February 1985. Ron Friedman's agent had secured a deal with Griffin-Bacal that he would be locked in to writing, being credited and paid for any movies arising out of TV shows he worked on. He finds his way into a made-up position that didn't exist on other shows revising TF TV scripts in June and already has an outline for a movie by August. Coincidence? I think not.

Not exactly sure what point you’re trying to exactly make.I’m sure that Ron had very similar deals or projects for many of the other projects he worked on over the years doesn’t mean they all came to fruition. And I’m sure he didn’t either full scripts or a lot of workshops for many projects that never got made

Which is kind of my point here
The movie was just not being made at the same time as the season one episodes and I’m sure there were many doubts about how far they could take the show at that time
Back to FFOD. I can see why Hasbro were all "Where's Poochie?" over the Predacons. Because you have a combiner team where every member costs more than a Scramble City team leader and thanks to the faction change during development, they have had to be dropped from the movie: the biggest promotion they could ever have.

Along that thinking I also wonder if there were other toys that Hasbro considered getting from other properties to fill in the positions Of these characters

sto_vo_kor_2000
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Greebtron » Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:10 pm

A short and sweet video I put together for promotion that I ought to have done a year ago when me and Jim were waiting to reveal these. But hey ho, might be new to somebody.

Greebtron
Micromaster

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #30 Marvel Comics 1987 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 210422B"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers INFILTRATION #1 RI-B 1:50 foil IDW Comics 2006 1RIB (CA) Guidi"
Transformers INFIL ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers ROBOTS IN DISGUISE #1 2nd ptg IDW Comics 2012 (CA) Griffith"
Transformers ROBOT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Beast Wars GATHERING #1 RI Cvr C 1:100 IDW Comics 2006 1RIC 210321A"
Transformers Beast ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #3 Cvr B Image Comics 2023 1023IM386 3B (CA) Clarke (W) Johnson"
TRANSFORMERS #3 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #4 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 MAR210486 4B (CA) Schoening"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #5 Cover B IDW Comic Book 2019 BOLD NEW ERA SIEGE 5B (CA) Whitman"
TRANSFORMERS #5 Co ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #1 2nd ptg Cvr A Image Comics 2023 0923IM824 (CA) Howard 240210"
TRANSFORMERS #1 2n ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers STORMBRINGER #2 Cvr B IDW Comics 2006 2B (W) Furman (A/CA) Figueroa"
Transformers STORM ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #18 Marvel Comics 1986 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 210422A"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Wreckers TREAD & CIRCUITS #4 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2022 4RI"
Transformers Wreck ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #15 Cvr B IDW Comics 2022 FEB220438 15B (CA) Duggan"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS GENERATION 2 #6 Marvel Comics 1994 (W) Furman (CA) Yaniger 230915R"
TRANSFORMERS GENER ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #43 Cvr A IDW Comics 2022 MAR220501 43A (CA) Simeone"
TRANSFORMERS #43 C ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Tailgate" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Nemesis Prime (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Swoop" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Megatronus Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Swindle" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Voyager Class Optimus Prime and Diac" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Sunstreaker Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Grimlock Figure" on AMAZON