This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

USA Today Talks Transformers

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Join us to discuss the movies and stuff up to date with news for the 2017 release of Transformers 5. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

USA Today Talks Transformers

Postby Professor Smooth » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:45 am

From USA Today:

The motto of the Transformers has always been "more than meets the eye," but director Michael Bay wishes less had met the eye of sci-fi fans over the past year as raw images of his shape-shifting robots leaked online.

The appearance of each new vehicle or robot — sometimes mixed with hoax images — sparks furious debate among devotees of the pop-culture touchstone of 1980s childhood, and it has put Bay and studio DreamWorks on the defensive before their characters are truly ready for their close-ups.

Today, coinciding with the annual Toy Fair in New York, the studio plans an official debut of scenes and characters from the movie, in theaters July 4.

The leaked images have raised the bar for DreamWorks to impress those who think they've already seen it all.

In some ways, it's a high-end problem: What studio would not want people to be so curious about a film that they're breaking down firewalls to see parts of it?

"We're trying to protect the surprise. And you like to be judged on the final product," producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura says. "Ultimately, it's fantastic that they care this much. And it forces us to ask ourselves every single question going into it, because you don't want to disappoint."

Di Bonaventura and Bay say art department computers registered thousands of hack attacks during the production. "Someone hacked into my own personal computer and got my script," Bay says. "We know that because it had some of my changes on it. Isn't that insane?"

In another major reveal, the yellow vehicle Bumblebee was showcased online in the early days of the shoot last year, and some purists slammed Bay for changing the character from a Volkswagen Beetle to a sportier Chevrolet Camaro.

Photos of a full-scale mockup of Bumblebee in robot form, apparently snapped by a crewmember, were met with greater approval. Says Bay: "They took big pictures of it and put it on the Internet, and everybody thought it looked cool. But I was like, 'That is not what he looks like' because we couldn't do all the fine detail (on the stand-in)."

Though the leaks sometimes got ahead of the movie's marketing plan, they may have only created more curiosity about the Transformers movie, which is being executive-produced by Steven Spielberg.

Ryan Yzquierdo, 30, of Chicago, features some of the early shots on his Transformers fansite Seibertron.com, and says he is optimistic about the movie and liked the script, though some of the character designs disappointed him.

"But my family and friends who aren't Transformers fans love the new designs and think they're awesome," he says. "So maybe I'm wrong."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/new ... mers_x.htm
Professor Smooth
Headmaster
News Credits: 553

Postby jgilkinson » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:52 am

Sat down to eat a quick breakfast and low and behold... i see scorpy's pic. Congrats on getting mentioned Ryan
jgilkinson
Pretender
News Credits: 1

Postby JazZeke » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:55 am

Motto: "Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind."
Weapon: Shoulder Mounted Rocket Launcher
Ooh! Name-dropping.

Hmm... I wish someone would mention the real reason why the fans resent the drastic changes to the characters. Superman's an alien too, but no one would get away with giving him green skin and four eyes to make him look more alien. So why does Bay think he could get away with it with the Transformers?
JazZeke
Headmaster
News Credits: 10
Location: Arizona, where the glass is always greener.... on the other side of the state line!
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 8
Courage: 9
Firepower: 7
Skill: 8

Postby SoulOfPrimus » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:56 am

yeah, good job on getting into usa today, ryan. You earned it, and you came off as normal also, its a big leap for all us in the eyes of the normals...
SoulOfPrimus
Micromaster

Postby Bluebullet » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:56 am

Thats horribly depressing. It just goes to show that Michael Bay doesn't know what the hell he's talking about(ex:"Everybody thought it was cool."). At least we have a voice in the media.
Bluebullet

Postby Ultra Magnus » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:00 am

Motto: "COME ON YOU APES! YOU WANNA LIVE FOREVER?"
Weapon: Dual Cluster Bomb Missile Launchers
Is Ryan ACTUALLY mentioned in an article of America's Newspaper??? H0ly SH!T on a stick! Kudos, bro! Seibertron till we die!
"Alright Bots, the time is Now. Transform and Finish it!"

Ultra Magnus
Combiner
News Credits: 2
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10+
Skill: 9

Postby Windracer » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:05 am

Motto: "There's no relief in bitterness, may as well let it die."
Weapon: Electric Cannon
That is freakin' AWESOME. Congrats on the USA Article!
GW2: Caitmonster.9036 (Tarnished Coast / NA)
Burn's still a butt. <3
Windracer
Pretender
Alt Mode: Dragon
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 10
Endurance: 5
Courage: 3
Firepower: 10
Skill: 8

Postby Predaprince » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:06 am

Motto: ""Destruction is the fate of all sentient beings.""
Weapon: Sonic Rifle
What a bunch of bull. Bay is all trying to make it sound like the "leaked" pics ruined the anticipation of designs that would later be different.

Hello, the characters that we got to see months ago from said pics (Op., Megs, SS, BB) are just about exactly the same today. And there is the other merchandise that have their faces (as we know them to be) on them, so it isn't like Bay is going to just suddenly appear today with short vids of things that look completely different.

Like them or hate them, the designs are what they are and that's it.

With my rant out of the way, nice to see that they picked Ryan to talk to. I can't think of any other person to be the voice for the rest of us and I enjoy seeing that his comment was as it should have been (short, sweet, and concise).
Predaprince
God Of Transformers
Strength: 9
Endurance: 9
Courage: 10
Firepower: ???
Skill: Infinity

Postby Cyber Bishop » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:09 am

Motto: "Ker-Klick... Choom!"
Weapon: Black Magic
I just stickied this.. I think it deserves a sticky for a while. :D
Not a sheeple.
Think for yourself, don't let the magic TV box and social media do the thinking for you.
Question EVERYTHING!!
Just because you have a youtube review channel doesn't make you special.
No, I am not friendly online or in real life.
I look forward to attending a Botcon only to settle matters with idiots in person.
Cyber Bishop
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 103
Watch Cyber Bishop on YouTube
Buy from Cyber Bishop on eBay
Alt Mode: some sort of rudimentary lathe

Postby Milanion » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:33 am

I think this is cerainly worthy of a sticky.
Milanion
Combiner
News Credits: 4

Postby † Sunstorm » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:02 am

my family and friends that are not TF fans thinks the design looks stupid compared to the normal ones "thats not prime and what is that silveralien?" my brother said
† Sunstorm
Micromaster

Postby jonusjaxon » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:59 am

Yay, Seibertron!
jonusjaxon
Minibot

Postby Blozor » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:14 am

Motto: ""Distrust everything — you're bound to get something right."
Weapon: Double-Barreled Plasma Shell Shotgun
That absolutely rules for you, Ryan.

Seriously, you own what I consider the premier Transformers resource online. With all the work you've put into this website, it's about time you get officially recognized.
Blozor
Combiner
Strength: 5
Speed: 2
Courage: 7
Firepower: 5

Postby chrisjbrandon » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:29 am

Yeah man, congrads to Ryan for getting the site & himself metiontioned in a nationally syndicated newspaper!
My next vehicle is my avatar...
chrisjbrandon
Combiner

Postby Wheeljack35 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:47 am

No pic??

Ryan your not wrong

I have no idea what your family and freinds are thinking
Wheeljack35
City Commander
News Credits: 26
Watch Wheeljack35 on YouTube

Postby Alex Kingdom » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:02 pm

Congrats on the media exposure Ryan. Shame Michael bay appears to be totally deaf/blind to the thousands of TF fans that dont like the movie designs.

Yours AK
Alex Kingdom
Banned
News Credits: 1093

Postby Quaternion » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:21 pm

Weapon: Dual Impact Maces
Seibertron.com is the best Transformers website on the net, so I'm not surprised that it was mentioned rather than any of the others.
Quaternion
Fuzor
Strength: 2
Intelligence: 10
Courage: 9
Skill: 10

Postby Zeds » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:27 pm

Motto: "I once lost a battle. So long ago I can barely remember it."
Weapon: Thermal Melters
Word is spreading...
BWOP: "Die-cast construction...It's a lost art!"

Longs for the days of G1 where we only had to worry about Megatron, Soundwave and Laserbeak wanting to be Autobots, Swoop calling himself Tracks and Slingshot calling himself Slingslot!
Zeds
Gestalt
News Credits: 9
Buy from Zeds on eBay
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 4
Courage: 10
Firepower: 6
Skill: 7

Postby City Commander » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:06 pm

Weapon: Air Rifle
Yup, this is the best tf site on the web. The best for info, the most well-designed etc. Well done to ya Ry for getting ur name in there! You've earnt it.
Electron wrote:sledge your comments are like a fat chick raping a hot dog, its unpleasent to watch but in the end its gonna happen

Mr O wrote:I'm part Irish, part Scottish, very Welsh, mostly drunk, somewhat Transformers nerd and all bastard.
City Commander
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 6
Buy from City Commander on eBay
Speed: 6
Endurance: 7
Courage: 8

Postby Acecool » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:16 pm

Congrates on the article......

I can't hold it in any longer, **** BAY. I think one or two people said that bumble bee was cool in the full sized robot. **** him for misrepresenting us. He is a hack.
Acecool
Mini-Con

Postby Seibertron » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:52 pm

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
Thanks for all of the thanks my friends! It was pretty cool going to a news stand here in New York today to buy a paper that has my name in it. I had just left the Statue of Liberty and took my usual obsessive number of photos of Ms. Liberty. Maybe she should get her own gallery.

I opened up the paper to the news stand guy that sold me the paper and I said "You know all of those random people you read give quotes in the papers you sell?" I pointed to my name and said ... "That's me!" I'm sure he didn't really care but we briefly chatted about Transformers for a few minutes and I told him quickly about the movie coming up. I thanked him for selling me the newspaper with my name it it, he shook my hand and off I went back on the subway from Southern Manhattan back to Times Square.

Only a couple more hours and I'll get to see Bay, Dreamworks and Paramount unveil whatever it is they're unveiling today here in New York. I'll report back about it later tonight.
Seibertron
Site Owner
News Credits: 3554
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 10
Skill: 10+

Postby Down_Shift » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:55 pm

Motto: "Everyone has a bad hobby or a bad habit and I'd rather have a bad hobby over a bad habit."
Weapon: Rust Ray Gun
A shame they didn't use any thing other then the sentance and a half at the end from your interview. Well congrats on getting in the news man. Any publicity is good publicity.

TFcon Third Party Host
www.tfcon.ca
www.cybertron.ca - Canadian Transformers News First!

Blurrz wrote:Down_Shift is a god...
Down_Shift
Faction Commander
News Credits: 335
Strength: 7
Speed: 8
Courage: 7
Firepower: 8
Skill: 6

Postby Seibertron » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:37 pm

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
Down_Shift wrote:A shame they didn't use any thing other then the sentance and a half at the end from your interview. Well congrats on getting in the news man. Any publicity is good publicity.

Yeah, it's interesting how a 15 to 25 minute interview was condensed into 1 line basically. LOL. Oh well! I thought it was a great article, despite disagreeing with a few of the statements from Mr. Bay.

I highly doubt there were external hack attempts on his personal computer. Do you know how hard that would be to do? I'm a professional programmer and I don't know the first thing about trying to hack into someone's computer somewhere. I imagine it was an internal hack job or something ridiculous like his computer being left on and someone copied the file for the script. I'm a firm believer that a lot of things like this are simply human error (no firewall, computer left on, copied it to a disk, sent it to someone via email and "trusted" that it wouldn't get out.

It just seems like if someone gained access to Michael Bay's computer that they would go after his personal banking information first rather than trying to get a hold of a Transformers script. That's a lot of work just for a movie script.

Of course, it could all be true and I'm just ignorant of how rampant hack attempts are searching for files and such.
Seibertron
Site Owner
News Credits: 3554
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 10
Skill: 10+

Postby tile_mcgillus » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:42 pm

Amazing how they can sugarcoat the fanbase's reaction so seamlessly. Like the only major complaint we had was that Bumblebee isn't a Volkswagon Beetle...even though he hasn't been one in a long time due to Volkswagon's reluctance to allow their cars associated with violence. Nevermind the fact, he sold the license to GM and has all Autobots (sans Optimus) showcasing prominant GM cars (This is what Don Murphy said). I guess history is written by the winner or the guy with the most money. Reason number 4,500,565 why the media in America is the bane of my existence.

Oh and congrats Ryan.
tile_mcgillus
Minibot

Postby ShGarland_1383 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:04 pm

Motto: "Be brief of speech and long on action."
Weapon: Reciprocating Laser Cannon
Congrats on the article, Ryan.
My vote for the HOF goes to my favorite Transformer, Kup, to the Headmasters (who still need new figures that aren't just the characters without their master components) and to seibertron.com for for being the ultimate TF resource.
ShGarland_1383
Headmaster
News Credits: 3
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 4
Speed: 2
Endurance: 5
Courage: 5
Firepower: 3
Skill: 3

Next

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #18 Marvel Comics 1986 (CA) Trimpe (W) Budiansky 231222F"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #17 Cvr B IDW Comics 2022 APR221592 17B (CA) Bell"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers WINDBLADE #7 RI 1:10 Vol 2 IDW Comics 2015 (CA) Zama"
Transformers WINDB ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #10 Cover A IDW Comics 2019 BOLD NEW ERA 10A (CA) McGuire-Smith"
TRANSFORMERS #10 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #42 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2022 FEB220436 42RI (CA) Goux"
TRANSFORMERS #42 R ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers OPTIMUS PRIME #23 Cover B IDW Comics 2018 23B "Unicron is here""
Transformers OPTIM ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Wreckers TREAD & CIRCUITS #3 RI 1:10 IDW Comics 2021 3RI (CA) Chan"
Transformers Wreck ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #7 Cvr A Image Comics 2024 Skybound 0224IM313 7A (CA) Johnson"
NEW!
TRANSFORMERS #7 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers WARS END #4 Cvr B IDW Comics 2022 MAR220509 War's 4B (CA) Murphy"
Transformers WARS ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #3 Cvr E 1:50 Image Comics 2023 1023IM389 3E (CA) Dragotta"
TRANSFORMERS #3 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #10 Cover B IDW Comics 2019 BOLD NEW ERA 10B (CA) Deer"
TRANSFORMERS #10 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #2 Cvr B Image Comics 2023 0923IM457 2B (CA) Chan (W) Johnson"
TRANSFORMERS #2 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #5 Cvr A Image Comics 2024 Skybound 1223IM323 5A (CA) Johnson"
TRANSFORMERS #5 Cv ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers BATTLE FOR EARTH Marvel Books HC 1985 11" x 8" 230713A"
Transformers BATTL ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Autobot Tailgate" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Energon Igniters Nitro Bumblebee Action Figure - Included Core Powers Driving Action - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 7-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Cutthroat" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Computron Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warriors Class Autobot Jazz Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Hasbro Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe protectobot Groove" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Skytread" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Autobot Hot Rod and Firedrive" on AMAZON