This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Living and Dying in Wal-Mart (Because eBay isn’t fast enough)

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

Postby Hotrod » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:02 pm

Counterpunch wrote:
Hotrod wrote:This was so good and informative, I posted it in the news.

Holy Crap! Something other than obscenities got me on the front page of the news! :grin:

Thanks boss!

I hope to do more articles like this if people can stand to read it.

Very cool :grin:
Hotrod
City Commander
News Credits: 2024

Postby soundwave13c » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:17 pm

Motto: "Cake is a lie, toast solves problems, and everyone loves pie!"
Weapon: Static Laser Gun
greatest artical ive read so far. very intertaning cp
soundwave13c
Combiner
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 6
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 10

Postby Pierrimus » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:45 pm

What irks me the most is the fact that Wal Mart doesn't seem to think our store is important enough. I have yet to see any of the 2nd or 3rd wave Alternators and the eBay prices/competition for these figures is off the scale!

Back when Armada was around I thought, oh I'll wait for Starscream to go to clearance, bad move. Ended up spending about $40 just to get a Japanese version of him.

Did not get and am still hoping at some point to pick up an Energon Swoop/Grimlock pack. They never were at my Wal Mart/Kmart and I kept looking for them at Target during that time...nada.

I was able to pick up the Classics Ultra Magnus vs. Skywarp package off eBay after checking 4 different Sacramento, CA (this is the state capitol) area Targets for almost twice a week when the toy was supposed to be in stores. Yes, I was perhaps lucky to have only paid $10 more than the retail price.

The market's fickle. I definitely agree on the whole pay now or pay later mantra. The only exception is that sometimes you want to wait to see if the repaints will be more to your liking. I did this with several of the Cybertron toys. I preferred Galvatron over Megatron, liked Skyshadow over Jetfire, this time I decided more Decepticon character repaints were better than some of the original Autobot toys.

Of course, I then broke that rule entirely with the Movie toys. I probably bought every single one as soon as I saw them, especially if they were on sale. Now I wish I'd waited for the repaints. Those G1 styled Ratchet, Jazz and Starscream toys are much more interesting. And I'm out of free cash to play with...

Great article and topic. 8) Thanks.
Pierrimus
Mini-Con

Postby Prowl76 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:33 pm

Motto: "Can't live by logical thinking alone."
Weapon: Wind Funnel Producing Laser
Very good and very agreeable. i buy from ebay as well as stores and have noticed these price jumps but never thought about it much other than that the movie was coming/out.
Prowl76
Godmaster
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Courage: 10
Firepower: 9
Skill: 9

Postby Collector Maximus » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:43 pm

Counterpunch wrote:
Xgamer wrote:"why would I live and die in WM?"

It's a reference to the absurd amount of time we spend in and the crazy hours at which time we visit Wal Mart.

I mean, going into WalMart at 1 am because you know that's when they take break and the pallets are otherwise unguarded...

that's not right. :grin:

Good read. A lot of truth in there. I would like to point out that deals, or at least lower prices, CAN be had if you research sources and are VERY persistent. Or at least this had been the case before the movie came out. I do expect there to be a period when prices start decreasing as interest and popularity subside between or after the release of subsequent movies.

on another note...

At Wal Mart They start bringing the pallets out at 10:00 pm, and around here they go on break at 12 am, thus leaving the pallets ungaurded.
Yes,
I've known that for years and I lhad a good laugh when read it in your post.:P
Last edited by Collector Maximus on Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seibertron's #1 Cure fan!
Collector Maximus
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 3

Postby Relic Dinobot » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:45 pm

Motto: "Learn from the past or be doomed to repeat it."
Weapon: Energo-Sword
Very nice article and a good read at that. And so true from start to finish, too. And it's people like fan-boy#7 that've made me start to collect less and less TFs, up to the point of a few figures per line.

Well, 'cept for Classics. Just need to find a good-priced Devastator somewhere on eBay now (like that'll happen anytime soon. :roll: :lol:)
Relic Dinobot
Vehicon
News Credits: 1
Intelligence: 6
Speed: 5
Endurance: 8
Courage: 8
Firepower: 7

Postby Flux Convoy » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:03 pm

Motto: "Chaos... is coming!..."
Hey, great article bud. I'd love to read more. I'm with you on all those points and sometimes wish I had the violence in me to knock sweaty fan boy #7's teeth out. Maybe my split persona will do it for me. No wait, that's your schtick!
:BOT:
Flux Convoy
City Commander
News Credits: 20
Buy from Flux Convoy on eBay

Postby --B-- » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:14 pm

Motto: "Doing things my own way and never giving up!"
Do you pay a group rate at your psychiatrist?

Just kidding. Great read, so refreshing to see a little smarts on the boards.
Check out my sales thread, plenty of Generations, and Reveal the Shield figures for sale!!

generations-rts-deluxes-scouts-and-legends-along-with-voyager-lugnut-for-sale-t78434.php
--B--
Gestalt
News Credits: 5
Buy from --B-- on eBay

Postby Counterpunch » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:15 pm

Motto: "Everything I do is divinely sanctioned."
Weapon: Jawbreaker Cannon
Flux Convoy wrote:Hey, great article bud. I'd love to read more. I'm with you on all those points and sometimes wish I had the violence in me to knock sweaty fan boy #7's teeth out. Maybe my split persona will do it for me. No wait, that's your schtick!
:BOT:

Actually, that's his schtick..

(I hate him so much...)

:grin:
Counterpunch
Podcast Host
News Credits: 125
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4
Skill: 7

Postby Dclone Soundwave » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:39 pm

Good read. I noticed a lot of the stuff you put in there is what I've seen happen. That's why I always try to buy everything when it first comes out, or else some of it will sky rocket. Again, good read.
Latest Acquisition(s):
BW Tigatron
BW II Flash Lio Convoy
BW Metals Rampage
BW Neo Big Convoy
BW Neo Magmatron
Dclone Soundwave
Godmaster

Postby Zeds » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:53 pm

Motto: "I once lost a battle. So long ago I can barely remember it."
Weapon: Thermal Melters
I have never read such a well thought out post on a fanbased website before. Puts my 'completist' inclinations into perspective and the fact that I choose TF collecting as a form of investment and enjoyment instead of those damn Mutual Funds that are screwed from yet another Corporate scandal of white collar crime more often than not! Can't really display Mutual Funds so well in one's space as welll as one's G1 TFs (see attached pic for proof).

Well done Counterpunch! Look forward to more of these from you. In fact you should be applauded and in fact I will :APPLAUSE:
Attachments
Pic of CDN Boxed Series I-III Collection 07-07-27.JPG
G1 Collection
Pic of CDN Boxed Series I-III Collection 07-07-27.JPG (82.02 KiB) Viewed 4910 times
BWOP: "Die-cast construction...It's a lost art!"

Longs for the days of G1 where we only had to worry about Megatron, Soundwave and Laserbeak wanting to be Autobots, Swoop calling himself Tracks and Slingshot calling himself Slingslot!
Zeds
Gestalt
News Credits: 9
Buy from Zeds on eBay
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 4
Endurance: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 7

Postby Sideshow Sideswipe » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:07 pm

Motto: "Fritos are the right of all hungry beings"
Weapon: Shotgun
Great article! I'm kicking myself for not replacing my broken G1 prowl BEFORE the movie.
God, save me from your followers.

Sideshow Sideswipe
Fuzor
News Credits: 70
Intelligence: 6
Endurance: 5
Firepower: Infinity

Postby Geekee1 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:18 pm

I've been anticipating this article ever since you mentioned it to Ryan last month. I am not disappointed.

It seems that I have already been following Rule #1 since I got back into collecting. And so far it hasn't gone wrong for me. In fact I practiced it today when I saw Voyager Megatron at Wal Mart. Although it seems that I haven't had near the difficulty that a lot of people on this board have had getting the movie toys.

Keep it up CP, I'll be looking forward to more of these!
Geekee1
Godmaster
News Credits: 7

Postby Cliff Jumper » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:45 pm

Motto: "I wanna boot some Decepticon right in his turbocharger!"
Weapon: Glass Gas Gun
awesome cp. Very true.
Cliff Jumper
Vehicon
Strength: 4
Intelligence: 4
Endurance: 4
Firepower: 7
Skill: 5

Postby YouFearGalvatron » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:49 pm

g1transformers wrote:I have never read such a well thought out post on a fanbased website before. Puts my 'completist' inclinations into perspective and the fact that I choose TF collecting as a form of investment and enjoyment instead of those damn Mutual Funds that are screwed from yet another Corporate scandal of white collar crime more often than not! Can't really display Mutual Funds so well in one's space as welll as one's G1 TFs (see attached pic for proof).

Well done Counterpunch! Look forward to more of these from you. In fact you should be applauded and in fact I will :APPLAUSE:

Oh my...noe THAT is a collection! If those are all originals, and MISB...if you sold those individually...you would have WELL OVER $10,000 US.

I am going to be sick...of jealousy.

Great article, CP. Keep them coming, we need more discussion within the fandom regarding the collector's market. It is something I often think about but never hear enough of.
YouFearGalvatron

Postby SnipeShade » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:50 pm

this made me smile. this made me cry.

Good day, sir.

:sad:

(nother words, good read for me)
SnipeShade
Combiner

Postby Nemesis_Apoc » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:47 pm

Dudes, you rock.

I Døden finnes all makt
Nemesis_Apoc
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Satanatron » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:55 pm

Tell me about it. Looking for Alternators like Camshaft or even Binaltech has been a pain in the ass. I was lucky enough to find Alternators Swerve.

Don't get me started on Decepticharge or Rumble and Ravage.
Satanatron
Minibot

Postby Shin Optimus Prime » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:16 pm

g1transformers wrote:I have never read such a well thought out post on a fanbased website before. Puts my 'completist' inclinations into perspective and the fact that I choose TF collecting as a form of investment and enjoyment instead of those damn Mutual Funds that are screwed from yet another Corporate scandal of white collar crime more often than not! Can't really display Mutual Funds so well in one's space as welll as one's G1 TFs (see attached pic for proof).

Wow, G1Transformers!! I don't know how you did it (going bankrupt maybe?), but that my friend is one SWEET boxed collection. I feel like I'm in Toys R Us in 1984-1988 all over again! I miss the days when the shelves looked like your picture. And I agree with you on G1 Snarl, although I never had him (still wish I did and DO), just had G1 Grimlock, but yes, bring back the glory days of die-cast! At least we still have Takara to count on for that. By the way, if you know of a good place to get a G1 Snarl, let me know.

Anyway, I know that was a bit long and slightly off-topic, but as far as stock goes, I really think some places are just a bit later than others. I live in New Port Richey, FL (yeah, I'm sure very few of you have even ever heard of it). I don't know exactly when Alternators Ravage and Rumble were first released, but I JUST found them in a nearby Wal-mart about a week or so ago. And not just one or two... there were about 5 or 6 EACH. Naturally, since I was afraid I would never see them again, I got one of each. Also, if anyone wants those, I can swing by again and try to grab some if they're still there. Just let me know...
Shin Optimus Prime
Mini-Con

Postby Autobot032 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:32 pm

Weapon: Switch Blade Tail
I have to agree with another poster...what if your store never gets them to begin with?

I've looked and looked and looked. '08 Bumblebee is nowhere to be found and I won't pay scalper prices. I'm willing to wait a little bit longer, but past a certain point I will give up.

This is ridiculous. I realize Hasbro wasn't expecting this kind of demand, but once it kicked in, they should've upped production overall.

I've yet to see any real change in that.
NOTE: Realize that I am not a perfect Christian, nor do I profess to be. I apologize if anyone's ever offended by me, I'm not perfect. Don't hold my posts and opinions against other Christians.
Autobot032
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 668
Buy from Autobot032 on eBay

Postby Cyber-Kun » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:20 am

very good read.
recent acquisitions: TFA Black Arachnia, Ratchet & Leader Megatron, Movie Stockade
Cyber-Kun
Headmaster Jr

Postby Toyotus Superion » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:27 am

Motto: "Being illegal doesnt make something wrong."
Sniping us on ebay eh? Getting up early in the morning eh? Well! That just means I have to play the "employee card" and start hoarding stuff in our store room till I can buy it! Rule 4: Do what you have to!
Toyotus Superion
Headmaster Jr

Postby Homer » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:00 am

Thanks for the effort into that one CP, mighty enjoyable read that was.

...and look at all the groupies you're getting as a result!
Homer
Headmaster Jr

column

Postby noctorro » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:11 am

Nice column!

Indeed I do buy all the lines except Alternators, Masterpiece and Titanium (had a lot of 'm but I like the other lines better). Sometimes deals on ebay are good, a lot for a good price with some shipping costs.

But for a guy like me in The Netherlands, we cannot live without ebay/paypal! We always get 2/3 of the line and never see the really good figures.
But we Europeans make more money 240 euro's a week = 330 USD and that's 40 hours of work. Still the transport costs minimize any advantage :(

My only hope is more reissue's, I hate to buy an old Headmaster Chromedome with loose joints incomplete for 60 usd. Hell, I hate to buy an old Chromedome, give me a reissue any day, I'm not a vintage-collector I just like the toys and designs etc.
http://www.plasticpolygon.com
I 3d design and print! Check out my instagram http://www.instagram.com/plasticpolygon3d for some Transformers weapons if you're interested. The War for Cybertron standard machine gun is ready as well as the Armada Optimus gun (smaller) and a Robotech Gunpod.
noctorro
Gestalt Team Leader

Postby Liege Evilmus » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:22 pm

I bet this got real good, but I couldn't sit through you debate with yourself!?!

If I'm wrong and you had someone with you in writing this, I'm sorry for that. I know sometimes saying things outload can help you mull them over, but JEEZ, that was way to detailed and I didn't get past line 4!

My Collection, updated 4/21(sorta)... viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35550&p=627727#p627727
Liege Evilmus
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 8

PreviousNext

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SPAWN #350 Cvr D Image Comics 2024 1123IM226 350D (CA) Booth"
NEW!
SPAWN #350 Cvr D I ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "PRIMORDIAL #4 Cvr B Image Comics 2021 OCT210164 4B (CA) Allred (W) Lemire"
PRIMORDIAL #4 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY #15 Cvr A Image Comics 2021 JUN210264 15A (CA) Camuncoli"
UNDISCOVERED COUNT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "VOID RIVALS #7 Cvr D 1:25 Image Comics 2024 0124IM329 7D (CA) Allen (W) Kirkman"
NEW!
VOID RIVALS #7 Cvr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GUNSLINGER SPAWN #8 Cvr A Image Comics 2022 MAR220222 8A (CA) Keane"
GUNSLINGER SPAWN # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SPAWN #343 Cvr C virgin Image Comics 2023 APR230292 343C (CA) Kibar"
SPAWN #343 Cvr C v ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #49 Cvr B Image Comics 2022 AUG220257 49B (CA) Adlard"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "KILLADELPHIA #31 Cvr C Image Comics 2023 0923IM417 31C (CA) Lee (W) Barnes"
KILLADELPHIA #31 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SAVAGE DRAGON #267 Cvr B retro Image Comics 2024 0923IM845 267B (W/A/CA) Larsen"
SAVAGE DRAGON #267 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ICE CREAM MAN #34 Cvr A Image Comics 2023 SEP220271 34A (CA) Morazzo (W) Prince"
ICE CREAM MAN #34 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD #1 Newsprint Color Image Comics 2023 0823IM311 (CA) Finch + McCaig"
WALKING DEAD #1 Ne ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "FIRE POWER #8 Image Comics 2021 DEC200200 (W) Kirkman (A/CA) Samnee + Wilson"
FIRE POWER #8 Imag ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GUNSLINGER SPAWN #25 Cvr B Image Comics 2023 0823IM382 25B (CA) Keane"
GUNSLINGER SPAWN # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #75 Cvr D Image Comics 2023 0823IM325 75D (CA) Tedesco"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #345 - The Roast
Twincast / Podcast #345:
"The Roast"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 9th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 11 Deluxe Class Movie 4 Lockdown" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Novastar" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Cindersaur" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumble Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars - MEGATRON Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Autobot Ratchet" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Decepticon Dragstrip Figure" on AMAZON