This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

(RUMOR) GIJOE Movie slated for Summer '09 ... what does this mean for TF2?

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Join us to discuss the movies and stuff up to date with news for the 2017 release of Transformers 5. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

(RUMOR) GIJOE Movie slated for Summer '09 ... what does this mean for TF2?

Postby Seibertron » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:13 pm

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
IGN.com has reported that the GIJOE movie is tentatively scheduled for a Summer 2009 release. Many TF fans have speculated that the next installment of the Paramount/Dreamworks Transformers franchise would be released that same summer. It doesn't seem logical that Hasbro would pit two of its core properties against each other during the same movie season, though perhaps it could be done with one of the movies being released in May '09 and another being released around July.

Of special note to GIJOE fans, the acronym now apparently stands for "Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity" for the upcoming 'Joe movie, according to the article at IGN.com.

Stay tuned for more information as we find out what impact the GIJOE movie has on TF2. In the meantime, let the speculation begin!
Seibertron
Site Owner
News Credits: 3554
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Re: (RUMOR) GIJOE Movie slated for Summer '09 ... what does this mean for TF2?

Postby Leonardo » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:35 pm

Seibertron wrote:Of special note to GIJOE fans, the acronym now apparently stands for "Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity" for the upcoming 'Joe movie, according to the article at IGN.com.

When you say "now stands" does that mean it used to stand for something else? I always thought it was just a generic name but I never really liked it that much so I don't know.
Leonardo
Faction Commander
News Credits: 1

Postby OptimusShr » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:41 pm

I wasn't aware it stood for anything before.

Anyway I want to see more before I pass judgment. Although I do worry about them having too many characters in the movie and most of them not getting much development similar to TF.
OptimusShr
Fuzor

Postby Skowl » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:45 pm

I figured from day one that a Transformers sequel would come out in summer 2010.

3 Years between films seems to be the standard, with the odd exception of course, but I doubt Hasbro would have GI JOE and Transformers in the same YEAR, let alone the same SUMMER!
Skowl
City Commander
News Credits: 665

Postby Tigertrack » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:47 pm

Motto: "A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
Wikipedia is even updated...

"Live-action film

With the success of the 2007 Transformers feature film, G.I. Joe has been tapped as the next Hasbro property to be turned into a film franchise.[4] It is slated for a 2009 release date with Stephen Sommers to direct. There have been talks of casting Mark Wahlberg and Jason Statham.

As per an article in Variety [5] the G.I. Joe film has been turned into an international spy film. "While some remember the character from its gung-ho fighting man '60s incarnation, he's evolved. G.I. Joe is now a Brussels-based outfit that stands for Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity, an international co-ed force of operatives who use hi-tech equipment to battle Cobra, an evil organization headed by a double-crossing Scottish arms dealer. The property is closer in tone to "X-Men" and James Bond than a war film." Stephen Sommers (The Mummy, Van Helsing) has been helmed to direct."

I believe the 'GI' in G.I. Joe stood for General Infantry...but that may be wrong.

So now it will be G.I.J.O.E.?

As long as there's a C.O.B.R.A.-

Like to see (besides Destro) Baroness, Firefly, and Stormshadow.

Joes- I can imagine they will go with a bunch of the originals with new international places of origin. (Duke, Snake Eyes, Rock and Roll, Scarlett, Clutch)...
Tigertrack
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 1082
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Endurance: 7
Courage: 9
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10

Postby King Starscream89 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:49 pm

i would really think it awesome if we found out the special forces guys from transformers were G.I. Joe
Leadership is an easy job all you need is to be strong and have people who are devoted to you
King Starscream89
Minibot

Postby glitched9700 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:54 pm

King Starscream89 wrote:i would really think it awesome if we found out the special forces guys from transformers were G.I. Joe

that would be great, all of hasbro toys are in the same universe
glitched9700
Micromaster

Postby Leonardo » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:54 pm

I read somewhere that Captain Lennox was a character who appeared in the Marvel G.I.Joe Vs. Transformers comics.
Leonardo
Faction Commander

Postby Kimmer » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:55 pm

hollywood even has to change the acronym, lol typical. i'm sure they'll screw it up like just about everything else. if what i've been reading is true(no cobra and involving action man) this will be another typical hollywood franchise killer.
Kimmer
Combiner

Postby Seibertron » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:55 pm

Leonardo wrote:
Seibertron wrote:Of special note to GIJOE fans, the acronym now apparently stands for "Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity" for the upcoming 'Joe movie, according to the article at IGN.com.

When you say "now stands" does that mean it used to stand for something else? I always thought it was just a generic name but I never really liked it that much so I don't know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GI_%28term%29

Hence the periods in G.I.Joe
Seibertron
Site Owner

Postby Decepticon Spike » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:58 pm

Motto: "Do what's right."
Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Guess I'll have to change the date on this GI Joe teaser poster I drew last month :grin:

Decepticon Spike
Brainmaster
News Credits: 2
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 10
Endurance: 2
Courage: 6
Firepower: 10
Skill: 9

Postby Mr.RobotoAutoMan » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:04 pm

there was 2 scripts for gi joe it was reported here that they did and earlier script from David Elliot and Paul Lovett

http://www.latinoreview.com/scriptreview.php?id=7 <-----

then there was a second script which i found pretty odd

A VERY PISSED OF EL MAYIMBE HERE!

Quite a week for 80’s toy properties. We got a new kick ass; TRANSFORMERS trailer here, we just got word that there will be a HE-MAN film that Joel Silver is producing, a Voltron film is in the works…

…but what of that other 80’s property? G.I. JOE?

Bad news folks!

Really bad news!

G.I JOE’s biggest foe is not Cobra, or Cobra-la, or extremist terrorists, arms dealers, or maniacal tyrants…

…G.I. JOE’s biggest enemy, its toughest challenge, a villain so narrow-minded in his vision and focus that he threatens to run this property into ground is none other than…

…LORENZO DIBONAVENTURA!

A studio exec!

G.I. JOE has never faced this tough an adversary as DiBonaventura.

Lorenzo is going to kill this beloved franchise.

I have been a fan of G.I. JOE since 1982. My specialty is intelligence gathering (screenplays). Have every issue of the Marvel run (all 155 issues) and the awesome and current Devil’s Due run. I have the miniseries on DVD. Watched every episode faithfully as a kid. I remember the first ground breaking miniseries in 1983 on NY WPIX 11 when I was 10 years old like it was yesterday. I remember post 9/11 when G.I. JOE was relaunched by Devil’s Due to a resounding success. I started collecting scripts in the hope that one day I would have me the G.I. JOE script.

I try to do good with this column and I’m in a position to perhaps bring about change in a particular screenplay’s development. So here is one such case - one that I am passionate about. One thing I will not allow to happen is the desecration, the disembowelment, the utter disregard, and the disrespect to this beloved franchise from my childhood.

I’m fighting for freedom wherever there is trouble (this dumb script) because G.I. JOE is there. Somebody has to fight for the fans around the world.

I will not allow a studio exec who simply does not get this property at all to DESTROY IT!

When I recently read that Lorenzo abandoned Elliot and Lovett’s draft, which we reviewed earlier, and that he wanted to do ACTION MAN and a G.I. JOE buddy team-up movie, I CRINGED!

I tracked this script down and my worst fears all became realized.

SKIP WOODS’ draft of G.I. JOE is a resounding disaster and a catastrophe. Everything that is wrong with Hollywood is in this one script.

The character of ALEX MANN or ACTION MAN has absolutely no **** business being in a G.I. JOE movie simply because you worked with Mark Wahlberg and Four Brothers was a success.

That is not a good enough reason to force a character into a script because you want to work with this actor again.

A G.I. JOE buddy team-up movie is just plain wrong! That is like teaming up the Autobots with Gigantor or the Gobots to help battle the Decepticons.

CORNY!

By the way Lorenzo, G.I. JOE around the world was called ACTION FORCE, not ACTION MAN. Do your homework.

You see, the unsung heroes of THE TRANSFORMERS are Don Murphy and Tom DeSanto. These guys fought for the fans. G.I. JOE has no such luxury.

But I am picking up the slack.

Where do I even begin?

My spies at Paramount tell me that Lorenzo simply does not get COBRA and that whole angle and is dead set on doing ACTION MAN – hence the stupid Alex Mann character.

That’s a serious problem.

Back to THE TRANSFORMERS for a sec; if you got no Decepticons, then you got no Autobots. It’s that simple. They are both looking for the energon cube here on Earth. Again simple, THE TRANSFORMERS is such a simple story and as long as the writing team understood those 3 basic principles – the Autobots, the Decepticons, the hunt for the energon Cube here on Earth – you couldn’t possibly fail. You can take creative license with giving Optimus lips or what not, or with what they transform into, what they look like these days, but don’t ignore those 3 basic principles.

There is 25 years of history and a mythology with the current G.I. JOE universe.

Folks, you know the name of the main henchman in Skip’s G.I. JOE draft?

You ready for this?

COOL DUDE

Lorenzo, you mean to tell me that you had to pay an A-List writer his six figure quote to give you an original henchman with a stupid **** name like COOL DUDE without having the writer or your development staff go down to Meltdown Comics on Sunset or that other comic shop on Melrose, look up the G.I Joe Battle Files Sourcebook for like 5 bucks and not come up with STORM SHADOW, ZARTAN, MAJOR BLUDD, DESTRO or even FIREFLY?!

Are you kidding me?

You know how many cool bad guys exist in G.I.JOE?!

But no, we have to settle for COOL DUDE who is more like CORNY DUDE!

That’s just the tip of the iceberg.

So for the fans what Joes are in this?

DUKE, FLYNT, SNAKE EYES, HI-TECH, HEAVY DUTY, and SCARLETT, along with ALEX MANN.

But folks, these Joes are not what you grew up reading in comics or watching on television. These are bizarro level bastardizations of these characters.

SNAKE EYES speaks in this script, has some eye trouble – hence his name (how **** original), wears big shades and gets his vocal cords slashed towards the end by COOL DUDE of all people – hence becoming the silent Snake Eyes we all know.

ALEX MANN, DUKE, and SCARLETT are in a love triangle – hence our subplot. She is Duke’s ex girlfriend, marries Alex, and dies at the midpoint at the hands of the Baroness. Consider her lucky she got out this wretched draft early. Any G.I. JOE fan with some common sense knows that Scarlett had a thing for SNAKE
EYES and not DUKE.

Who are the wannabe Cobras or bad guys?

RYAN, a CIA OFFICIAL who speaks in “dudespeak” and on the last page becomes the cobra commander of this wretched script, THE BARONESS, and COOL DUDE. Ryan is the CIA official who strings along G.I. JOE and the twist is that Ryan is THE NAJA, the main bad guy/arms dealer that G.I. JOE has been looking for all along. Ryan even gives that obligatory clichéd why I did it and became evil speech – literally before our big showdown.

That’s it. I hated the Ryan character. He belongs on Venice Beach hitting the waves. THE BARONESS is this henchwoman hot Mata Hari chick with a cobra tattoo down her back. DUMB. DUMB. DUMB.

What’s the stupid plot?

COOL DUDE launches a shoulder-mounted nuclear missile into downtown HONG KONG, and he takes out a couple of city blocks and thousands of civilians. The G.I. JOE team investigates the arms back to AYOOB, an arms dealer who knows the secret identity of THE NAJA, which ends up being Ryan, the CIA official who was stringing along the G.I.JOE team.

That’s it.

This stupid script should be called COBRA BEGINS because the Cobra’s story literally begins on the last page.

What’s worse is that all the characters in this script talk like rejects from SWORDFISH and PULP FICTION dishing it out like they really wanted to be in those movies.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Skip Woods, but HE IS TOTALLY THE WRONG MAN for this script.

Way too much exposition, way too much wise-ass wannabe cracks, and way too many speeches.

For all the exposition in this script, they don’t tell the audience how these soldiers became G.I. JOE. It’s just a military man themed script with the G.I. JOE title slapped on it.

A **** insult.

At least Elliot and Lovett were going somewhere and had a good starting point in their draft, which we reviewed earlier.

Now I am the most liberal of the story editors in this town and let a lot slide, but when you go against the fundamentals of a mythology that has existed for 25 years, then you and I are going to have problems.

Lorenzo, instead of calling you names, which won’t solve anything, I am going to help you out, buddy, in perhaps saving this franchise, which has the potential of making a lot of money. You got the potential for a great franchise here.

Here it goes…

First abandon the corny idea of a G.I. JOE/ACTION MAN buddy team-up movie. LET ACTION MAN GO! IT’S CORNY AND IT WON’T WORK! KILL ALEX MANN OR I WILL! KILL ALEX MANN!
Bury this draft, thank Skip for trying to come up with a take, and move on and get yourself another writer. This script needs to come from a writer that understands this material. Contact Larry Hama or Josh Blaylock or Joe Casey. Passionate writers of the material who get it and had major success with it. Any of those guys could come up with a kick-ass treatment or beat sheet for G.I. JOE.
If you really need a Hollywood writer, then go with Stuart Beattie. We'll review his awesome WITHOUT REMORSE soon and he has consistently delivered. If there is a Hollywood writer out there that can kick this material’s ass it would definitely be Stuart Beattie. Not available? These writers' black op or military themed scripts ROCK! - Dan Weiss, Tony Gilroy, Brian Helgeland.
ONCE AGAIN, LET ACTION MAN GO! NO **** ACTION MAN! REALLY BAD AND CORNY IDEA!
NO DUDESPEAK! CIA OFFICIALS DON’T UTTER THE WORD DUDE!
Respect Snake Eyes and his origin – the super cool Boba Fett character of the G.I. JOE universe.
Pick up any of the recent excellent Devil’s Due G.I. JOE, SNAKE EYES, SCARLETT DECLASSIFIED one-shots as an excellent starting point for a G.I. JOE origin movie story.
That is pretty much it for now. I hated what Skip Woods did to G.I. JOE so passionately that I burned the script in my barbecue over the weekend. I am trying to erase the memory that I wasted two hours reading the biggest and most disrespectful piece of **** script I have ever reviewed for this column. I refuse to accept that script as a G.I. JOE script. I am not having it and folks, I will continue watchdogging this franchise and the development of the G.I. JOE script until this studio executive gets it.

Lorenzo, I really want you to succeed. Really I do. I want you to give us fans at least 2 – 3 G.I. JOE movies, but sir – find a writer that will nail this property and come up with a great take. This franchise, like Transformers, has so much cinematic potential. Go down to a comic book store and pick up some G.I. JOE comics, especially the Devil’s Due ones. Those guys did such a great job updating and contemporizing G.I. JOE for today’s times – I can’t recommend them enough here. Josh Blaylock and Joe Casey. It would be so gravy if you can really have Larry Hama on board as either a technical consultant or even as a writer who can come up with the story. Take Frank Miller for example and look at what wonders happen at the box office when his source material is respected. You do the same here with Hama and you will have the same kind of success. THAT I PROMISE! Give Larry a call!

You can take as much creative license as you want, like you guys did with TRANSFORMERS, but respect the origins and the source material.

Remember Lorenzo, I WILL BE WATCHING YOU!

UNTIL THE NEXT G.I. JOE DRAFT…

…YO JOE!
Mr.RobotoAutoMan
Combiner

Postby Leonardo » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:10 pm

Seibertron wrote:
Leonardo wrote:

Yes, I knew G.I. stood for something. Now I know what!
Leonardo
Faction Commander

Postby Decepticon Spike » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:13 pm

Motto: "Do what's right."
Mr.RobotoAutoMan wrote:there was 2 scripts for gi joe it was reported here that they did and earlier script from David Elliot and Paul Lovett

http://www.latinoreview.com/scriptreview.php?id=7 <-----

then there was a second script which i found pretty odd

A VERY PISSED OF EL MAYIMBE HERE!

Quite a week for 80’s toy properties. We got a new kick ass; TRANSFORMERS trailer here, we just got word that there will be a HE-MAN film that Joel Silver is producing, a Voltron film is in the works…

…but what of that other 80’s property? G.I. JOE?

Bad news folks!

Really bad news!

G.I JOE’s biggest foe is not Cobra, or Cobra-la, or extremist terrorists, arms dealers, or maniacal tyrants…

…G.I. JOE’s biggest enemy, its toughest challenge, a villain so narrow-minded in his vision and focus that he threatens to run this property into ground is none other than…

…LORENZO DIBONAVENTURA!

A studio exec!

G.I. JOE has never faced this tough an adversary as DiBonaventura.

Lorenzo is going to kill this beloved franchise.

I have been a fan of G.I. JOE since 1982. My specialty is intelligence gathering (screenplays). Have every issue of the Marvel run (all 155 issues) and the awesome and current Devil’s Due run. I have the miniseries on DVD. Watched every episode faithfully as a kid. I remember the first ground breaking miniseries in 1983 on NY WPIX 11 when I was 10 years old like it was yesterday. I remember post 9/11 when G.I. JOE was relaunched by Devil’s Due to a resounding success. I started collecting scripts in the hope that one day I would have me the G.I. JOE script.

I try to do good with this column and I’m in a position to perhaps bring about change in a particular screenplay’s development. So here is one such case - one that I am passionate about. One thing I will not allow to happen is the desecration, the disembowelment, the utter disregard, and the disrespect to this beloved franchise from my childhood.

I’m fighting for freedom wherever there is trouble (this dumb script) because G.I. JOE is there. Somebody has to fight for the fans around the world.

I will not allow a studio exec who simply does not get this property at all to DESTROY IT!

When I recently read that Lorenzo abandoned Elliot and Lovett’s draft, which we reviewed earlier, and that he wanted to do ACTION MAN and a G.I. JOE buddy team-up movie, I CRINGED!

I tracked this script down and my worst fears all became realized.

SKIP WOODS’ draft of G.I. JOE is a resounding disaster and a catastrophe. Everything that is wrong with Hollywood is in this one script.

The character of ALEX MANN or ACTION MAN has absolutely no **** business being in a G.I. JOE movie simply because you worked with Mark Wahlberg and Four Brothers was a success.

That is not a good enough reason to force a character into a script because you want to work with this actor again.

A G.I. JOE buddy team-up movie is just plain wrong! That is like teaming up the Autobots with Gigantor or the Gobots to help battle the Decepticons.

CORNY!

By the way Lorenzo, G.I. JOE around the world was called ACTION FORCE, not ACTION MAN. Do your homework.

You see, the unsung heroes of THE TRANSFORMERS are Don Murphy and Tom DeSanto. These guys fought for the fans. G.I. JOE has no such luxury.

But I am picking up the slack.

Where do I even begin?

My spies at Paramount tell me that Lorenzo simply does not get COBRA and that whole angle and is dead set on doing ACTION MAN – hence the stupid Alex Mann character.

That’s a serious problem.

Back to THE TRANSFORMERS for a sec; if you got no Decepticons, then you got no Autobots. It’s that simple. They are both looking for the energon cube here on Earth. Again simple, THE TRANSFORMERS is such a simple story and as long as the writing team understood those 3 basic principles – the Autobots, the Decepticons, the hunt for the energon Cube here on Earth – you couldn’t possibly fail. You can take creative license with giving Optimus lips or what not, or with what they transform into, what they look like these days, but don’t ignore those 3 basic principles.

There is 25 years of history and a mythology with the current G.I. JOE universe.

Folks, you know the name of the main henchman in Skip’s G.I. JOE draft?

You ready for this?

COOL DUDE

Lorenzo, you mean to tell me that you had to pay an A-List writer his six figure quote to give you an original henchman with a stupid **** name like COOL DUDE without having the writer or your development staff go down to Meltdown Comics on Sunset or that other comic shop on Melrose, look up the G.I Joe Battle Files Sourcebook for like 5 bucks and not come up with STORM SHADOW, ZARTAN, MAJOR BLUDD, DESTRO or even FIREFLY?!

Are you kidding me?

You know how many cool bad guys exist in G.I.JOE?!

But no, we have to settle for COOL DUDE who is more like CORNY DUDE!

That’s just the tip of the iceberg.

So for the fans what Joes are in this?

DUKE, FLYNT, SNAKE EYES, HI-TECH, HEAVY DUTY, and SCARLETT, along with ALEX MANN.

But folks, these Joes are not what you grew up reading in comics or watching on television. These are bizarro level bastardizations of these characters.

SNAKE EYES speaks in this script, has some eye trouble – hence his name (how **** original), wears big shades and gets his vocal cords slashed towards the end by COOL DUDE of all people – hence becoming the silent Snake Eyes we all know.

ALEX MANN, DUKE, and SCARLETT are in a love triangle – hence our subplot. She is Duke’s ex girlfriend, marries Alex, and dies at the midpoint at the hands of the Baroness. Consider her lucky she got out this wretched draft early. Any G.I. JOE fan with some common sense knows that Scarlett had a thing for SNAKE
EYES and not DUKE.

Who are the wannabe Cobras or bad guys?

RYAN, a CIA OFFICIAL who speaks in “dudespeak” and on the last page becomes the cobra commander of this wretched script, THE BARONESS, and COOL DUDE. Ryan is the CIA official who strings along G.I. JOE and the twist is that Ryan is THE NAJA, the main bad guy/arms dealer that G.I. JOE has been looking for all along. Ryan even gives that obligatory clichéd why I did it and became evil speech – literally before our big showdown.

That’s it. I hated the Ryan character. He belongs on Venice Beach hitting the waves. THE BARONESS is this henchwoman hot Mata Hari chick with a cobra tattoo down her back. DUMB. DUMB. DUMB.

What’s the stupid plot?

COOL DUDE launches a shoulder-mounted nuclear missile into downtown HONG KONG, and he takes out a couple of city blocks and thousands of civilians. The G.I. JOE team investigates the arms back to AYOOB, an arms dealer who knows the secret identity of THE NAJA, which ends up being Ryan, the CIA official who was stringing along the G.I.JOE team.

That’s it.

This stupid script should be called COBRA BEGINS because the Cobra’s story literally begins on the last page.

What’s worse is that all the characters in this script talk like rejects from SWORDFISH and PULP FICTION dishing it out like they really wanted to be in those movies.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Skip Woods, but HE IS TOTALLY THE WRONG MAN for this script.

Way too much exposition, way too much wise-ass wannabe cracks, and way too many speeches.

For all the exposition in this script, they don’t tell the audience how these soldiers became G.I. JOE. It’s just a military man themed script with the G.I. JOE title slapped on it.

A **** insult.

At least Elliot and Lovett were going somewhere and had a good starting point in their draft, which we reviewed earlier.

Now I am the most liberal of the story editors in this town and let a lot slide, but when you go against the fundamentals of a mythology that has existed for 25 years, then you and I are going to have problems.

Lorenzo, instead of calling you names, which won’t solve anything, I am going to help you out, buddy, in perhaps saving this franchise, which has the potential of making a lot of money. You got the potential for a great franchise here.

Here it goes…

First abandon the corny idea of a G.I. JOE/ACTION MAN buddy team-up movie. LET ACTION MAN GO! IT’S CORNY AND IT WON’T WORK! KILL ALEX MANN OR I WILL! KILL ALEX MANN!
Bury this draft, thank Skip for trying to come up with a take, and move on and get yourself another writer. This script needs to come from a writer that understands this material. Contact Larry Hama or Josh Blaylock or Joe Casey. Passionate writers of the material who get it and had major success with it. Any of those guys could come up with a kick-ass treatment or beat sheet for G.I. JOE.
If you really need a Hollywood writer, then go with Stuart Beattie. We'll review his awesome WITHOUT REMORSE soon and he has consistently delivered. If there is a Hollywood writer out there that can kick this material’s ass it would definitely be Stuart Beattie. Not available? These writers' black op or military themed scripts ROCK! - Dan Weiss, Tony Gilroy, Brian Helgeland.
ONCE AGAIN, LET ACTION MAN GO! NO **** ACTION MAN! REALLY BAD AND CORNY IDEA!
NO DUDESPEAK! CIA OFFICIALS DON’T UTTER THE WORD DUDE!
Respect Snake Eyes and his origin – the super cool Boba Fett character of the G.I. JOE universe.
Pick up any of the recent excellent Devil’s Due G.I. JOE, SNAKE EYES, SCARLETT DECLASSIFIED one-shots as an excellent starting point for a G.I. JOE origin movie story.
That is pretty much it for now. I hated what Skip Woods did to G.I. JOE so passionately that I burned the script in my barbecue over the weekend. I am trying to erase the memory that I wasted two hours reading the biggest and most disrespectful piece of **** script I have ever reviewed for this column. I refuse to accept that script as a G.I. JOE script. I am not having it and folks, I will continue watchdogging this franchise and the development of the G.I. JOE script until this studio executive gets it.

Lorenzo, I really want you to succeed. Really I do. I want you to give us fans at least 2 – 3 G.I. JOE movies, but sir – find a writer that will nail this property and come up with a great take. This franchise, like Transformers, has so much cinematic potential. Go down to a comic book store and pick up some G.I. JOE comics, especially the Devil’s Due ones. Those guys did such a great job updating and contemporizing G.I. JOE for today’s times – I can’t recommend them enough here. Josh Blaylock and Joe Casey. It would be so gravy if you can really have Larry Hama on board as either a technical consultant or even as a writer who can come up with the story. Take Frank Miller for example and look at what wonders happen at the box office when his source material is respected. You do the same here with Hama and you will have the same kind of success. THAT I PROMISE! Give Larry a call!

You can take as much creative license as you want, like you guys did with TRANSFORMERS, but respect the origins and the source material.

Remember Lorenzo, I WILL BE WATCHING YOU!

UNTIL THE NEXT G.I. JOE DRAFT…

…YO JOE!

Cool dude? WTF????
please don't let this be the real movie idea.
Decepticon Spike
Brainmaster
News Credits: 2
Intelligence: 7
Endurance: 2
Courage: 6
Firepower: 10

Postby Omegawrath » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:14 pm

"G.I." stands for Government Issue. It originated from "Galvanized Iron", as this was abbreviated and stamped on military equipment. Military personnel just sort of ran with the term. It is also used to refer to general infantry or ground infantry. G.I. Joe is a term originating in WWII in a comic strip and came to be a popular term for all soldiers. The essence of the original G.I. Joe toyline (started in 1964) was that the figures represented men of all trades from within all branches of the military. The modern G.I. Joe Team took it's codename from these soldiers. In 1989 the original "Joe" was personified as an actual character within the G.I. Joe comic book mythos for which the team was said to be named. Five years later, the character was given the name "Joseph Colton" and fully integrated into the line. In current comic continuity, Joe himself (said to have started the first secret military team in the 60's under orders from President Kennedy)took command of the team after the commanding officer, "General Hawk" was shot in the spine and paralyzed.

Anyone who has a deeper interest in this film is invited to comment here: http://s4.invisionfree.com/The_Motor_Pool/

Thanks!
Omegawrath
Mini-Con

Postby Omegawrath » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:16 pm

"So what is Stuart Beattie using from these scripts? We are being told that this is a page one rewrite. Stuart is starting from scratch and we might be setting the Joe team in the near future around a major military conflict but will stay away from any recent real world terrorist events.

How about Alex Man AKA Action Man? Looks like he will be gone, this new script is set to be 100% GI Joe, it will revolve around the characters we all grew up with fighting Cobra, Destro, the Baroness and Storm Shadow."

Here's the article:

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=co ... &Itemid=99
Omegawrath
Mini-Con

Postby General Magnus » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:26 pm

Funny I always thought GI meant "Ground Infantry"
General Magnus
Pretender
News Credits: 4

Postby Kayevcee » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:28 pm

A GI Joe movie could and, I feel, should be utterly hilarious. Cool Dude sounds like a Cheat Commandos self-insert fanfic character.

-Rock Rock On!
Kayevcee
Vehicon
News Credits: 3

Postby Toyotus Superion » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:31 pm

Motto: "Being illegal doesnt make something wrong."
WOOHOO! THERE IS A GOD!

Hasbro FTW! YO JOE! But please dear god let them make this at least as good as the TF movie! No james bond type ****. The script needs to be written by larry hamma himself! Let any of the marvel/image guys do it, just like the comics!
Toyotus Superion
Headmaster Jr

Postby Starscream » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:48 pm

I say 2010!!! A SUPER SPACE ODYSSEY!
Starscream
Targetmaster
News Credits: 16
Watch Starscream on YouTube
Buy from Starscream on eBay
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Endurance: 4
Firepower: 8

GI JOE

Postby zatara1701 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:01 pm

Motto: ""It's all part of the plan...more or less.""
Weapon: Star Saber Sword
Ok guys, here is a little history lesson...

the "GI" in GI Joe started in WWII. Guys were "GI's" because everything they had and owned during that time was Government Issue (GI). And "Joe," well, we Americans have always refered to an everyday guy as a regular "Joe." Hence, "GI Joe." The original GI Joes could be anyone or anything you wanted them to be, because they were meant to be "generic."

Not until the 80's did GI Joe become a secret anti-terrorist group, filled with all the different characters we know and love.

Now for my two cents on the movie... It COULD be cool, but I can tell you this much, I dont care who is in it, who is directing it, or anything about it, I just dont see myself all hyped up about "GI Joe" the movie. I had more Joe stuff then Transformers when I was a little (Transformers outside military dad's pay grade with 4 kids), but I dont want to see a "realistic" GI JOE movie.

Hell, I think I'd rather see GI Joe done all campy like Austin Powers or something.
zatara1701
Fuzor
News Credits: 4
Endurance: 10
Courage: 9
Firepower: 6

Postby Death Broker » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:04 pm

tigertracks 24 wrote:
Like to see (besides Destro) Baroness, Firefly, and Stormshadow.

Joes- I can imagine they will go with a bunch of the originals with new international places of origin. (Duke, Snake Eyes, Rock and Roll, Scarlett, Clutch)...

dude so long as they have Sgt. Slaughter im a happy dude!!!
Death Broker
Mini-Con

Postby Omegawrath » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:12 pm

2010 was "The Year We make Contact".

Roy Scheider. John Lithgow. It was actually pretty good.
Omegawrath
Mini-Con

Postby soundwave13c » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:25 pm

Motto: "Cake is a lie, toast solves problems, and everyone loves pie!"
Weapon: Static Laser Gun
die gi-joe , diiieeeeeee!!!!!!!
soundwave13c
Combiner
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 6
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 7
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 10

Postby Seibertron » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:26 pm

Leonardo wrote:
Seibertron wrote:
Leonardo wrote:

Yes, I knew G.I. stood for something. Now I know what!

And knowing is half the battle!
Seibertron
Site Owner

Next

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "NEW TEEN TITANS #1 Facsimile Cvr B foil DC Comics 2023 ptg 1023DC206 1B Perez"
NEW TEEN TITANS #1 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "NEW TEEN TITANS #1 Facsimile Cvr C blank sketch DC Comics 2023 ptg 1023DC208 1C"
NEW TEEN TITANS #1 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN BEYOND #1 Facsimile Cvr C foil DC Comics 2024 ptg 1123DC803 1C (CA) Timm"
BATMAN BEYOND #1 F ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "UNCANNY X-MEN #141 Facsimile 2023 ptg Marvel Comics SEP230775 (A/CA) Byrne"
UNCANNY X-MEN #141 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MICRONAUTS #1 Facsimile Marvel Comics 2023 JUL230681 (CA) Cockrum (W) Mantlo"
MICRONAUTS #1 Facs ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BRAVE AND THE BOLD #54 Facsimile Cvr B DC Comics 2024 ptg 54B (CA) Blank Sketch"
NEW!
BRAVE AND THE BOLD ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #253 Facsimile 1:25 Marvel Comics 2024 (CA) Mobili 240305A"
NEW!
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN #1 Facsimile Edition Cvr C blank DC Comics 2023 ptg 0723DC203 1C (CA)Kane"
BATMAN #1 Facsimil ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WOLVERINE #1 Limited Series Facsimile Marvel Comics 2023 ptg (CA) Miller 231227"
WOLVERINE #1 Limit ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN #5 Facsimile Cvr C blank sketch DC Comics 2023 ptg 0923DC270 5C"
BATMAN #5 Facsimil ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN #181 Facsimile Edition Cvr B foil DC Comics 2023 ptg 0323DC161 181B"
BATMAN #181 Facsim ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "FLASH #123 Facsimile Cvr A DC Comics 2024 ptg 1123DC804 123A"
FLASH #123 Facsimi ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GARGOYLES #1 Facsimile Ed PURPLE FOIL Dynamite Comics DEC220641 (CA) Madureira"
GARGOYLES #1 Facsi ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "FLASH #123 Facsimile DC Comics 2023 ptg 1122DC116 (CA) Infantino + Anderson"
FLASH #123 Facsimi ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 08 Leader Class Movie 1 Decepticon Blackout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Computron Collection Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Elita-1" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Energon Igniters Nitro Bumblebee Action Figure - Included Core Powers Driving Action - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 7-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Cutthroat" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Voyager Class Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Firefly Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Voyager Class Optimus Prime and Diac" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Siege on Cybertron 5-Figure Pack" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Onslaught Figure" on AMAZON