This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Simon Furman Blog Update

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Simon Furman Blog Update

Postby Darth Bombshell » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:47 pm

Motto: "Insanity is a state of mind, and I have a home there."
Weapon: Cerebro-Shell Launcher
Simon Furman has once again updated his blog, this time with new information about the final issue of "The Ascending."

SCRIPT (W)RAP
August 27th, 2007

This will (by necessity) have to be one of THE most obtuse and teasing script (w)raps I’ve done so far, largely because it’s for issue #4 (of four) of Beast Wars: The Ascending. My good friend Ben Yee, who read the script and often advises me on all things Beast Wars (simply because he’s arguably THE authority on the series), compared the bodycount favourably to Marvel’s Generation 2 comic, so that gives you an idea that this series is set to end on a less than happy note (in some ways at least). Anyhow, what can I tell you? Well, apart from the fact that several characters meet sticky ends (and this is in no way limited or exclusive to minor characters), the main villain of the piece (by now, thanks to preview images of interior art for #1 and the cover for #4 having hit the web elsewhere, it’s pretty much general knowledge that ‘the nemesis’ I’ve carefully been referring to is Shokaract) makes his grand power play, unaware that he is the pawn of a far greater evil, and Magmatron (still consigned, for now, to a temporal limbo) puts a desperate plan to stop him into all-out action. Big Convoy and Lio Convoy fight side-by-side on Cybertron, Razorbeast takes on Rartorata, Drancron and Elephorca alone (for now) and Ravage fights dirty (as always). Oh, and there’s even a tie-in to the end of the Beast Wars TV series. This one really is cover-to-cover action, with far-reaching events unfolding on both Earth and Cybertron, and it sets up… well, that’d be telling. Beast Wars The Ascending #4 hits in November. For more details of all IDW’s upcoming Transformers releases go here.
Darth Bombshell
Gestalt
News Credits: 487
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 7

Postby Darth Bombshell » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:51 pm

So let me see if I get this. The ending of "The Ascending" will result in the killing of a great majority of characters that have, thus far, not gotten any decent characterization at all?

Well, so much for correcting the mistakes of "The Gathering." I'll still buy it, though. Nice to see confirmation on Shockaract, too. :)
Darth Bombshell
Gestalt

Postby Phorpus » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:52 pm

This better not be like that crappy Red Vs. Blue ending where everybody dies.
Phorpus
Mini-Con

Postby Leonardo » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:13 pm

Darth Bombshell wrote:So let me see if I get this. The ending of "The Ascending" will result in the killing of a great majority of characters that have, thus far, not gotten any decent characterization at all?

And that's how one tells a story...
Leonardo
Faction Commander
News Credits: 1

Postby Briggs » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:39 pm

YEAH BIIIIIG CONVOY!!! HOOOAHHH!!!!
Briggs
Headmaster
News Credits: 4

Postby Counterpunch » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:55 pm

Motto: "Everything I do is divinely sanctioned."
Weapon: Jawbreaker Cannon
Glad to know about Issue #4!

Now, when do I buy Issue #1?
Counterpunch
Podcast Host
News Credits: 125
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 5
Courage: 9
Firepower: 4

Postby Darth Bombshell » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:57 pm

Leonardo wrote:And that's how one tells a story...

Which would work if the characters involved weren't a bunch of faceless blanks. Ironically, I'm beginning to think they worked better as characters as the faceless blanks they were before they were brought online.
Darth Bombshell
Gestalt

Postby Leonardo » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:11 pm

Darth Bombshell wrote:
Leonardo wrote:And that's how one tells a story...

Which would work if the characters involved weren't a bunch of faceless blanks. Ironically, I'm beginning to think they worked better as characters as the faceless blanks they were before they were brought online.

It does seem a backwards way of storytelling. I'll reserve judgement until I read it (I'll probably enjoy it anyway) but with "The Gathering" there was occasionally a feeling of "Ooh, look ,it's him!" and "Oh, oh, it's -" and so forth. Name dropping, almost, like he wanted to use everyone who'd never been used before. I hope this time he takes time to develop a core cast rather than flooding the pages with every obscure BW character.

That said, I enjoyed "The Gathering" and I'm eager to see The Further Adventures of Razorbeast and Magmatron.
Leonardo
Faction Commander
News Credits: 1

Postby Darth Bombshell » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:29 pm

Leonardo wrote:I'll reserve judgement until I read it (I'll probably enjoy it anyway) but with "The Gathering" there was occasionally a feeling of "Ooh, look ,it's him!" and "Oh, oh, it's -" and so forth. Name dropping, almost, like he wanted to use everyone who'd never been used before. I hope this time he takes time to develop a core cast rather than flooding the pages with every obscure BW character.

The problem though is that Furman has all but just admitted that the majority of those guys will be getting killed off by the end of "The Ascending", so the idea of getting character development out of any of them doesn't seem likely.
Darth Bombshell
Gestalt

Postby 1337W422102 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:48 pm

Motto: "I come from the Net."
Weapon: Double-Barreled, Armor-Piercing Particle Beam Cann...
Darth Bombshell wrote:So let me see if I get this. The ending of "The Ascending" will result in the killing of a great majority of characters that have, thus far, not gotten any decent characterization at all?

Reminds me of the movie...

At any rate, I'm still interested in the Beast Wars comics. I'll have to check these out.
Ages 25 & Up, comics with ball joints of steel. Updated Mondays.
Classics Prime and Cybertron Armorhide are the Bad Mother Truckers
1337W422102
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 23
Strength: 3
Speed: 6
Endurance: 3
Courage: 5
Firepower: 7
Skill: 8

Postby OptimusShr » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:21 pm

Phorpus wrote:This better not be like that crappy Red Vs. Blue ending where everybody dies.

Uh, what? They didn't kill everyone at the end of Red Vs. Blue.

Anyway I can't wait for the comic to come out.
OptimusShr
Fuzor

Postby i_amtrunks » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:16 pm

As long as Ascending #4 comes out in November I'll be happy.
I expect alot of carnage to take place in this series, and I'd say a certain Dynobot may be responsible for more than his fair share's worth.
Awesomesauce; Use it, you know you want to.
i_amtrunks
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 972

Postby justynnbailey » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:09 pm

I'll be fine, as long as they dont kill of Grimlock....
justynnbailey
Minibot

Postby Darth Bombshell » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:44 pm

i_amtrunks wrote:I'd say a certain Dynobot may be responsible for more than his fair share's worth.

God, I hope not. He's part of the problem I have with "The Gathering", and it's bad enough I've already got problems about "The Ascending" without it actually being out yet.

I'm clinging to a slight hope that Furman won't be a fanwank and turn him into a Mary Sue.

justynnbailey wrote:I'll be fine, as long as they dont kill of Grimlock....

That's funny. I have the exact opposite belief.
Darth Bombshell
Gestalt

Postby i_amtrunks » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:53 pm

Darth Bombshell wrote:
i_amtrunks wrote:I'd say a certain Dynobot may be responsible for more than his fair share's worth.

God, I hope not. He's part of the problem I have with "The Gathering", and it's bad enough I've already got problems about "The Ascending" without it actually being out yet.

I'm clinging to a slight hope that Furman won't be a fanwank and turn him into a Mary Sue.

justynnbailey wrote:I'll be fine, as long as they dont kill of Grimlock....

That's funny. I have the exact opposite belief.

Grimlock's scaly hide turning up in "the Gathering" didnt amuse me much either.

For some reason I have a feeling that we may be getting a Grimlock that takes out quite a number of enemy soldiers before biting the big one himself. Or at least seeming to.

I'm probably waaay off the mark on this, but it's just a feeling I'm getting.
i_amtrunks
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Darth Bombshell » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:58 pm

i_amtrunks wrote:For some reason I have a feeling that we may be getting a Grimlock that takes out quite a number of enemy soldiers before biting the big one himself. Or at least seeming to.

In other words, your basic Simon Furman characterization.
Darth Bombshell
Gestalt

Postby i_amtrunks » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:00 pm

Darth Bombshell wrote:
i_amtrunks wrote:For some reason I have a feeling that we may be getting a Grimlock that takes out quite a number of enemy soldiers before biting the big one himself. Or at least seeming to.

In other words, your basic Simon Furman characterization.

If he only seems to die, before coming back to save Razorbeast/Lio Convoy or some important good guy, then yes, it will be your typical Furman Grimlock characterisation.
i_amtrunks
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Darth Bombshell » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:07 pm

i_amtrunks wrote:If he only seems to die, before coming back to save Razorbeast/Lio Convoy or some important good guy, then yes, it will be your typical Furman Grimlock characterisation.

Well, he kinda sorta died to save Razorbeast back in "The Gathering." Doesn't that count?
Darth Bombshell
Gestalt

Postby i_amtrunks » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:21 pm

Darth Bombshell wrote:
i_amtrunks wrote:If he only seems to die, before coming back to save Razorbeast/Lio Convoy or some important good guy, then yes, it will be your typical Furman Grimlock characterisation.

Well, he kinda sorta died to save Razorbeast back in "The Gathering." Doesn't that count?

I'll count it. Close enough is good enough.
So alongside his "death" in War Within Dark Ages, we can say Grimlock has supposedly died twice already under Furman's non Marvel writing?

Third time's the charm?
i_amtrunks
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Sagitta » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:15 am

Motto: ""Look to see what's there and see what's not.""
Weapon: Crossbow
I don't read the comic series but...this sounds like a good time for tv series Rattrap to scream "We're all gonna die!"
Sagitta
Micromaster
Alt Mode: Mini Aircraft
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Courage: 7
Skill: 8

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #38 Marvel Comics 1988 (W) Budiansky (CA) Springer 230915A"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #9 1st ptg Marvel Comics 1985 (CA) Manley (W) Budiansky 230926C"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS HEADMASTERS #3 Marvel Comics 1987 (A)Springer (W) Budiansky 230926A"
TRANSFORMERS HEADM ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #43 Cvr B IDW Comics 2022 MAR220502 43B (CA) Deer"
TRANSFORMERS #43 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #33 Marvel Comics 1987 (W) Parkhouse (CA) Vess 231222R"
NEW!
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers ROBOTS IN DISGUISE #27 IDW Comics 2014 27A 200509A (CA) Coller"
Transformers ROBOT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #7 1st ptg Marvel Comics 1985 (CA) Bright (W) Budiansky 230915W"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers OPTIMUS PRIME #24 Cover B IDW Comics 2018 24B "Unicron is here""
Transformers OPTIM ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS #25 Cvr A IDW Comics 2020 SEP200483 25A (CA) Hernandez"
TRANSFORMERS #25 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers MOVIE PREQUEL #1 RE IDW Comics 2007 1RE Brian's Toys 230323"
Transformers MOVIE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DUKE #1 3rd ptg Image Comics 2024 GI JOE 1123IM897 (CA) Fornes (W) WIlliamson"
NEW!
DUKE #1 3rd ptg Im ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #9 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 AUG210584 9B (CA) Tramontano"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE TRANSFORMERS #49 Marvel Comics 1989 (W) Budiansky (A/CA) Delbo 230915T"
THE TRANSFORMERS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS BEAST WARS #7 Cvr B IDW Comics 2021 JUN210501 7B (CA) Pirrie"
TRANSFORMERS BEAST ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #346 - Gas Station Jamboree
Twincast / Podcast #346:
"Gas Station Jamboree"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, March 23rd, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Swoop" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Elita-1" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Rippersnapper" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 12 Voyager Class Movie 1 Decepticon Brawl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Misfire and Aimless" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dreadwind" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece MP-21 Bumble Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Legends Class Decepticon Ravage(Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Steeljaw Figure" on AMAZON