This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Interview with Phil LaMarr (Animated Jazz's VA)

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Interview with Phil LaMarr (Animated Jazz's VA)

Postby i_amtrunks » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:50 pm

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/television/tvother/005793816.cfm

Changing subjects, you are set to play Jazz in the new Transformers show. It’s a great role with a lot of history, so are you going to follow the footsteps of the old series, the movie, or should we expect something new?

LAMARR: There’s no way to follow in the footsteps Scatman Crothers [Jazz’s original voice from the old series]. I mean, those are just shoes that are too big to fill. So, yeah, we’ve gone a different direction. Obviously the “cool” element is still there, that’s never going to go away with Jazz, and in my head I always hear Scatman but it’s a different sound. It’s a new sound.

I’m glad you brought up Scatman Crothers, because it must just be cool to pick up after such a legend. What is that like?

LAMARR: It’s an honor to be able to play something that somebody so talented originated. Even though they’re revamping the story, you know and the fans know that that’s where it came from and it’s nice to be connected to that kind of history.

So, by the technical and scientific laws of acting does this make you the best choice for the role if they ever redo Hong Kong Phooey?

LAMARR: [Laughs] I’d say so.

What is it like to be doing the voice of Jazz for a whole new generation of Transformers fans?

LAMARR: Well, it’s been interesting for me because I was not really familiar with much Transformers stuff. It sort of fell in between my kid years and my adult years. So, I missed it the first time around. So, I’ve been doing a lot of research actually. [I’ve been] looking at the old cartoons and reading the old comics just because I’d be reading the scripts and going, “My gosh, what an intricate world!” And it just got me more and more interested in what’s going on. How much of this is new? How much of this is original? So, I’ve been getting into it.
Awesomesauce; Use it, you know you want to.
i_amtrunks
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 972

Postby Darth Bombshell » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:53 pm

Motto: "Insanity is a state of mind, and I have a home there."
Weapon: Cerebro-Shell Launcher
As long as he doesn't do Jazz like Darius McCrary did, it's OK by me.
Darth Bombshell
Gestalt
News Credits: 487
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 7

Postby Damolisher » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:54 am

Nah, I reckon Jazz'll wind up sounding kinda like Wilt from Foster's Home for Imaginary Friend, only, well Jazzed up a little. (No pun intended.)
Damolisher
Brainmaster
News Credits: 3

Postby BigBot » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:02 am

Shame he didn't talk about Metal Gear Solid 4
BigBot
Micromaster
News Credits: 7

Postby Wheeljack35 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:16 am

I will allways associate Phil Lamar with MAD TV and him playing Green Lantern Jon Stewart in Justice League
Wheeljack35
City Commander
News Credits: 26
Watch Wheeljack35 on YouTube

Postby Silent_Magnus » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:34 am

Haha, I didn't know he did voice acting till now.

It's weird how many characters one person can play.

I loved the Hong Kong Phooey joke.
also I can relate to his remark about missing transformer.
As I was interested in transformers for most of my life,
but only got really into it last year.
Silent_Magnus
Fuzor
News Credits: 1

Postby StryderPrime » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:51 am

OK Time Out

So Ya telling me that Jazz will be in the Transformer Anime 2 as well?????????????
StryderPrime
Fuzor

Postby Evil Phil » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:05 am

Whoa whoa time out.

Phil laMarr, THE Phil LaMarr, is going to play Jazz in the new series?

EFFING YES!!!
Evil Phil
Combiner

Postby Ericus Prime » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:00 am

I liked his performance on Mad TV and Metal Gear Solid 2, he's a great choice for Jazz, "The King Of Cool!"
Ericus Prime
Fuzor

Postby Jazz-935 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:57 pm

I'm just so frikkin' happy that JAZZ is actually in it. Being such a big jazz fan.. this is had made my day! yay!
Jazz-935
Fuzor

Postby justynnbailey » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:01 pm

The thing about LaMarr as Jazz.....I could see him doing a Scatman Cruthers riff...but I could also see Jazz sounding like John Stewart/Black Vulcan....I'm cool either way...Phil LaMarr is one of the greatest voice actors of this generation IMO and it's cool to have him involved with TFs......
justynnbailey
Minibot

The thing about LaMarr as Jazz.....I could see him doing a Scatman Cruthers riff...but I could also see Jazz sounding like John Stewart/Black Vulcan....I'm cool either way...Phil LaMarr is one of the greatest voice actors of this generation IMO and it's cool to have him involved with TFs......
justynnbailey
Minibot

justynnbailey
Minibot

justynnbailey
Minibot

Postby justynnbailey » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:02 pm

justynnbailey
Minibot

justynnbailey
Minibot

justynnbailey
Minibot

justynnbailey
Minibot

justynnbailey
Minibot

Postby justynnbailey » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:03 pm

justynnbailey
Minibot

Postby Damolisher » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:37 pm

Damn, how the hell many times did you hit reply?!
Damolisher
Brainmaster

Postby JazZeke » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:47 pm

Motto: "Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind."
Weapon: Shoulder Mounted Rocket Launcher
I'm really pleased to hear he's gained such a respect for the original source material, and for Scatmna Crothers as well. I'm so psyched about seeing Jazz back on the tube, and I can tell already, this was a great casting choice.
JazZeke
Headmaster
News Credits: 10
Location: Arizona, where the glass is always greener.... on the other side of the state line!
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 8
Courage: 9
Firepower: 7
Skill: 8

Postby Damolisher » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:06 pm

It's kidna funny, I said ages ago when Jazz was announced for the movie that Phil LaMarr would be the perfect choice. I've kinda gotten my wish here.
Damolisher
Brainmaster

Postby i_amtrunks » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:56 pm

Damolisher wrote:It's kidna funny, I said ages ago when Jazz was announced for the movie that Phil LaMarr would be the perfect choice. I've kinda gotten my wish here.

Who knew Kiwi's held such sway? :P

After reading his bio, I'm waiting with some anticipation to see what he brings to Jazz. I am expecting good things.
Awesomesauce; Use it, you know you want to.
i_amtrunks
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 972

Postby Liege Evilmus » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:05 pm

Phil Lamarr is the man!

My Collection, updated 4/21(sorta)... viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35550&p=627727#p627727
Liege Evilmus
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 8

Next

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "RED ALERT Transformers Cybertron Burger King Fast Food Premium 2005 230719A"
RED ALERT Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Spychanger W.A.R.S. Transformers RID Spy Changers complete WARS 2001 230821A"
Spychanger W.A.R.S ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DESTRUCTION MINI-CON TEAM Transformers Armada complete Hasbro 2002 231209A"
DESTRUCTION MINI-C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "RED ALERT Transformers Cybertron Burger King Fast Food Premium 2005 190518"
RED ALERT Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "EVAC Transformers Cybertron Legends of Cybertron complete Hasbro 2005 230719A"
EVAC Transformers ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Warrior Class ENERGON AXE ATTACK OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Cyberverse 2018 New"
Warrior Class ENER ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers Armada Chinese 13 disc DVD set (Includes all 52 episodes) cartoon"
Transformers Armad ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS ARMADA #1 FCBD Dreamwave Comics 2003 Free Comic Book Day (CA) Raiz"
TRANSFORMERS ARMAD ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "STORM JET Transformers Energon Combat complete Superion Maximus 2004 230427A"
STORM JET Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SKID-Z Transformers RID Robots In Disguise Deluxe Basic complete 2001 230821A"
SKID-Z Transformer ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SCAVENGER + ROLLBAR Transformers Armada Max-Con complete 2002 231209A"
SCAVENGER + ROLLBA ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SKYBLAST ROBOT MODE Transformers Attacktix Energon complete Hasbro 2006 190518"
SKYBLAST ROBOT MOD ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MUDFLAP Transformers Cybertron Voyager complete w/ Cyber Key v6t7 2005 231101A"
MUDFLAP Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SMOKESCREEN Transformers Armada McDonald's Happy Meal Fast Food 2002 210811A"
SMOKESCREEN Transf ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Generations Exclusive Cyber Battalion Class Shockwave Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Megatron Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Fusion Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 11.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Cutthroat" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Titan Class Predaking" on AMAZON
Buy "Cyberverse Warrior Class Acid Storm" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Decepticon Dragstrip Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Monxo and Wolfwire" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Voyager Inferno Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Overlord Decepticon Figure" on AMAZON