This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Transformers are Transforming Hasbro

There is more to Transformers than movies, cartoons, comics and toys. Discuss anything else Transformers here.

Transformers are Transforming Hasbro

Postby i_amtrunks » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:00 pm

The <a href="http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/Oct/20/bz/hawaii710200322.html" target="_blank">Honolulu Advertiser</a> have posted a rather extensive report on how Hasbro is using the Transformers Brand to "transform" itself from a toy company to a business that creates the ideas behind movies, TV shows and electronic games.

Some interesting parts of the report include:
- Hasbro looking to turn older brands it owns such as Battleship and Mr Potato Head into new products like Movies, online games or tv shows.
- Hasbro expect Transformers sales could drop off next year due to the lack of a new movie in 2008.
and
- Hasbro made money by licensing about 230 Transformers products, including cell phone games, video games, even a jacket that transforms to a backpack and a pillow and sells for about $500.

To read the full article please <a href="http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/Oct/20/bz/hawaii710200322.html" target="_blank">click here</a>
Awesomesauce; Use it, you know you want to.
i_amtrunks
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 972

Postby Flashwave » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:11 pm

Motto: "Our society's downfall will not be this war. The war IS our society. That which will get us will be the little things. Some humanoid race, some tossed cannon, the little things that no one looks out for. THAT is for what we must be vigilant."
Weapon: Twin Shoulder-Mounted Rocket Launchers
Wow. a lot of Tf related money makers. It seems to be all there is. Nice to see us involved though!
Flashwave
City Commander
News Credits: 8
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 9
Endurance: 6
Courage: 9
Firepower: 7
Skill: 9

Re: Transformers are Transforming Hasbro

Postby Judge Deliberata » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:26 pm

Motto: "Innocent!"
Weapon: Wrist-Launched Heat-Seeking Missiles
i_amtrunks wrote:Some interesting parts of the report include:
- Hasbro looking to turn older brands it owns such as Battleship and Mr Potato Head into new products like Movies, online games or tv shows.

Sean Connery in the Battleship movie FTW. He MUST say the line. >_>
"Innocent."
Judge Deliberata
Vehicon
News Credits: 1
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 6
Courage: 7
Skill: 9

Postby Tigertrack » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:32 pm

Motto: "A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
"Battleship... my battleship, you sank it."[/Connery]

He's retired though, wouldn't even come out to do Indiana Jones 4!
Tigertrack
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 1082
Strength: 6
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Courage: 9
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10

Postby Venom Phoenix » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:33 pm

aqeed with above poster ^^
Venom Phoenix
Micromaster

Postby Venom Phoenix » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:34 pm

agreed with judge deliberata... someone beat me to the punch
Venom Phoenix
Micromaster

Postby Zeds » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:05 pm

Motto: "I once lost a battle. So long ago I can barely remember it."
Weapon: Thermal Melters
At least Hasbro is giving TFs the credit it is rightly due and by default understanding that respect for the brand and its loyal collectors will ensure Hasbro continued success with all its brands.
BWOP: "Die-cast construction...It's a lost art!"

Longs for the days of G1 where we only had to worry about Megatron, Soundwave and Laserbeak wanting to be Autobots, Swoop calling himself Tracks and Slingshot calling himself Slingslot!
Zeds
Gestalt
News Credits: 9
Buy from Zeds on eBay
Strength: 6
Speed: 4
Endurance: 8
Courage: 10
Firepower: 6
Skill: 7

Postby Dclone Soundwave » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:28 pm

This makes me think...we need a new battleship TF. I like Braodside & Tidal wave, but I want one that shoots tons of missiles & has electronics. I don't think TF sales will drop though...not if the release Classics 2.0 early of course.
Latest Acquisition(s):
BW Tigatron
BW II Flash Lio Convoy
BW Metals Rampage
BW Neo Big Convoy
BW Neo Magmatron
Dclone Soundwave
Godmaster

Postby Jazzz » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:34 pm

"Hasbro looking to turn older brands it owns such as Battleship and Mr Potato Head into new products like Movies, online games or tv shows."
Mr. Potatohead ONLINE
change his face with your friends online!
$40 a month
Jazzz
Combiner

Postby flashmech » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:53 pm

I love it. It's great seeing Transformers get its proper place in popular culture, as we always knew it deserved to be. As a Transformers fan, I find it gratifying to see it happen. Transformers finally has its proper place in the sun.
flashmech
Micromaster

Postby i_amtrunks » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:46 pm

Dont know about anyone else, but I am still recovering from the 230 product licenses.

I mean I know every item under the sun was branded with the Transformers logo and released, but I doubt I have seen 100 products (not counting the toys), the other 130+ I still have to see scares me.
i_amtrunks
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Gasper » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:16 pm

If they're SMART with their license for Transformers, and DON'T want to lose that money, they need to do more then just repaints of movie toys. Star Wars toys have gone down a bit, but they're still steady. Maybe have a greatest hits from several different molds out there all the way back from Beast Wars and such.

Or put in a fan choice system?

Just a thought.
Gasper
Mini-Con

Postby Noisemaze » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:01 am

Hmm..... $500 for a G1 Overlord or $500 for a pillow!?!?! Whoever bought the pillow got screwed!!!
Noisemaze
Minibot

Re: Transformers are Transforming Hasbro

Postby Autobot032 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:18 am

Weapon: Switch Blade Tail
i_amtrunks wrote:The <a href="http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/Oct/20/bz/hawaii710200322.html" target="_blank">Honolulu Advertiser</a> have posted a rather extensive report on how Hasbro is using the Transformers Brand to "transform" itself from a toy company to a business that creates the ideas behind movies, TV shows and electronic games.
And before you know it, toys won't be their focus at all.

i_amtrunks wrote:Some interesting parts of the report include:
- Hasbro expect Transformers sales could drop off next year due to the lack of a new movie in 2008.
and
- Hasbro made money by licensing about 230 Transformers products, including cell phone games, video games, even a jacket that transforms to a backpack and a pillow and sells for about $500.
Movies I wouldn't go see (and other than kids (if they're even interested...) who would go see 'em?) and if the sales drop off, TF won't be as important to Hasbro, because they'll be focused on making movies and other products. Mark my words, we'll suffer because of this. But they better remember, we were here through thick and thin, these new "fans" are outsiders who thought the Movie was cool enough to change them. What about TF:A sales? Kids will be all over 'em. Collectors too. Classics/Universe 2.0? That'll sell...pretty good.

i_amtrunks wrote:To read the full article please <a href="http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/Oct/20/bz/hawaii710200322.html" target="_blank">click here</a>
No thanks, this has already made me feel less than enthusiastic. :(

I had a feeling that once the movie became the hit it did, it could be good or bad thing for us, that there'd be no middle ground with it either. And...once it decides which way to turn, it'll fly like a rocket to that destination. I think it's going to end up bad.

....I so want it to be a good ending for us, but I just don't imagine that happening.
NOTE: Realize that I am not a perfect Christian, nor do I profess to be. I apologize if anyone's ever offended by me, I'm not perfect. Don't hold my posts and opinions against other Christians.
Autobot032
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 668
Buy from Autobot032 on eBay

Postby First-Aid » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:34 am

Motto: "This won't hurt me a bit."
Weapon: Laser Scalpel
Decepticlone Soundwave wrote:This makes me think...we need a new battleship TF. I like Braodside & Tidal wave, but I want one that shoots tons of missiles & has electronics. I don't think TF sales will drop though...not if the release Classics 2.0 early of course.

Classics won't make much of a rebound for Hasbro; let's face it, we're their target audience for that line and we don't hold much a market share. Also, a dozen or so Classics toys won't make up for the 230+ items they won't be making in a movie off-year. The cartoon may bolster things if it is successful, but, again, not enough to prevent a significant drop-off in sales. Despite what we may think of the prototypes, the kids will like the new toon and figures; they don't have as biased tastes as us loyal, pathetic fans who have followed it our whole lives.. :P 8) ;;)

If Hasbro decides to focus on making movies rather than toys, I'm not too worried: Transformers is the number two selling boys toy brand in the world- either Hasbro will maintain the line to maintain ongoing income or someone out there will realize what a cash cow the Trasnformers brand is and buy it from them with merchendising rights for future movies and the like, developing the brand further themselves. At any rate, with the overwhelming success and popularity of the movie and the brand name following it, I doubt our favorite robots in disguise are going anywhere for quite a long time.
It finally happened. The Chicago Cubs won the World Series. Yes, I cried.

-Kanrabat- wrote:
TF-fan kev777 wrote:
First-Aid wrote:Okay, did anyone else notice that we all get a wonderful shot of Starscreams crotch anytime he sits in that throne? That's unnerving. Couldn't they have put n extra flap in there? It's....weird.

Its kind of like Basic Instinct, but not in a good way...

Goddammit, now I can't unsee it.
First-Aid
Faction Commander
News Credits: 2
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 7
Endurance: 5
Courage: 10
Firepower: 2
Skill: 10+

Postby Supreme Convoy » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:40 am

After all these years of Toy Story, I always wonder why Mr. Potatohead didn't get his own spin off show. For me, it'd be awesome.
Supreme Convoy
Gestalt
News Credits: 34

Postby Liege Evilmus » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:57 am

See, new ideas and product = more money.

Make something intresting for 2008, instead of hoping Takara does it for you.

My Collection, updated 4/21(sorta)... viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35550&p=627727#p627727
Liege Evilmus
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 8

Postby UltraPrimal » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:00 am

Motto: "Vote for Beast Wars!"
Weapon: Sword
I see a live action GI Joe movie in the future.
UltraPrimal
Gestalt
News Credits: 32
Strength: Infinity
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: Infinity
Skill: Infinity

Postby Asepticon » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:37 am

Yeah last Botcon I was talking to a couple of guys that work for Hasbro and they where saying that Hasbro is trying to take a direction more like Disney. That works for me. I might like all the TF related rides and attractions at HASBRO LAND! Oh, to imagine. I think it's safe to thank Transformers for they're success.
Asepticon
Targetmaster

Postby Menbailee » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:40 pm

If they're going to pull that off, they need to focus on creating captivating stories and characters. Their cartoons to date have always served as vehicles for toy sales. If they're saying that their transition amounts to stamping Transformers on more products, then as long as there's a major movie release, they'll get away with it. If they're planning for the long term, they need to change the way they approach storytelling.

From what I hear, TF: Animated moves in this direction, so that's a positive sign.
Menbailee
Vehicon

Postby Kayevcee » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:46 pm

If Hasbro plans to be all about the brand recognition, then it can only mean stronger storytelling in the media related to the toy lines. The movie was a big step in the right direction- serious investment followed by serious coin for all concerned once it came out. TF:Animated won't be as big a money spinner as the movie line and Classics 2.0 will be smaller again for the same reason that Clone Wars and Expanded Universe weren't as big as Revenge of the Sith- it's just a difference in scale. TF displays will shrink as the Allspark Power figures make way for Animated and public enthusiasm will wane, then next year all going well TF:2 will come out and hit the toy aisles like a flaming sack of awesomeness and the whole thing explodes again.

So... yeah. Autobot032, cheer up. Everything's gonna be dandy.

-Nick
Kayevcee
Vehicon
News Credits: 3

Postby i_amtrunks » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:12 pm

Asepticon wrote: HASBRO LAND!

Well if there is going to be a whole theme park dedicated to Harry Potter, I can see a Hasbro themed area, even if it was just a small section put in already pre-existing theme parks, kinda like when every kiddy section was Hanna Barbara based...
i_amtrunks
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Autobot032 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:20 pm

Weapon: Switch Blade Tail
Kayevcee wrote:So... yeah. Autobot032, cheer up. Everything's gonna be dandy.

-Nick

That's my hope, good sir. That's my hope.
NOTE: Realize that I am not a perfect Christian, nor do I profess to be. I apologize if anyone's ever offended by me, I'm not perfect. Don't hold my posts and opinions against other Christians.
Autobot032
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 668
Buy from Autobot032 on eBay

Postby Auto Bot » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:54 am

Where can we buy that jacket-pillow?
Auto Bot
God Of Transformers

Return to Transformers General Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BUMBLEBEE + CHEETOR + OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Buzzworthy Cyberverse 2022 New"
BUMBLEBEE + CHEETO ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Happy Meal BUMBLEBEE Transformers Animated McDonald's Hasbro 2008 221009A"
Happy Meal BUMBLEB ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BUMBLEBEE (Blue) Transformers Super7 Keshi Surprise Autobot Series Decoy"
BUMBLEBEE (Blue) T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BUMBLEBEE Transformers Studio Series Core Class Dark of the Moon DOTM 2023 New"
BUMBLEBEE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Block Wars BUMBLEBEE Kabaya Modern Gum Transformers Takara Tomy Japan 2016"
Block Wars BUMBLEB ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Sting Shot BUMBLEBEE Transformers Cyberverse Scout Class Hasbro 2018 NEW Ages 6+"
Sting Shot BUMBLEB ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SILVERSTREAK Transformers Buzzworthy Bumblebee Legacy Hasbro 2022 New"
SILVERSTREAK Trans ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BUMBLEBEE Transformers Studio Series 100 Deluxe ROTB Rise Beasts Hasbro 2023 New"
BUMBLEBEE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "NITRO BUMBLEBEE Transformers Dark of the Moon Deluxe complete DOTM 2011 230427A"
NITRO BUMBLEBEE Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BUMBLEBEE Transformers Cyberverse Tiny Turbo Changers Series 2 Hasbro 2019 New"
BUMBLEBEE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Cybertron Legends of Cybertron complete 2005 230719A"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SOUNDWAVE + RAVAGE Transformers Bumblebee Plastic Model Kit Trumpeter 2023 New"
SOUNDWAVE + RAVAGE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BUMBLEBEE Transformers Studio Series Gamer Edition +01 Deluxe WFC 2023 New"
BUMBLEBEE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Authentics Bravo 5" Action Figure Hasbro 2018 New"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Starscream" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Battleslash" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Terrorcon Hun-Gurrr" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Blackwing" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Quintus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Ratchet Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Masterpiece MPM-7 Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Voyager Class Motormaster Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 02 Deluxe Class Movie 3 Decepticon Stinger" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Decepticon Krok and Gatorface" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Brawn" on AMAZON