This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Preview of IDW Beast Wars Sourcebook Issue 2

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Preview of IDW Beast Wars Sourcebook Issue 2

Postby Skowl » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:25 am

IDW has just updated their "New releases" section with a preview of the second issue of the new Beast Wars Sourcebook.

Check out Torca gracing the cover as well as profiles for Elephorca, Fractyl, BWII Galvatron and Gigastorm <a href="http://www.idwpublishing.com/newreleases.shtml" target="_blank">by clicking here</a>.

The issue is scheduled for release tomorrow, October 31st!
Skowl
City Commander
News Credits: 665

Postby Starscream » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:50 am

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
YIKES!!! They actually used SAND in the layout of this book!
Starscream
Targetmaster
News Credits: 16
Watch Starscream on YouTube
Buy from Starscream on eBay
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 10
Endurance: 4
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

Postby Archanubis » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:52 am

Motto: "Don't take life too seriously or you'll never get out of it alive."
Weapon: Lightning Rifle
I hope they do a better job of coloring with this book than they did the first issue.
Archanubis
City Commander
News Credits: 3

Postby Psychout » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:29 am

Motto: "This post clearly was meant to offend, and if you are affected by it in any way please close your browser and discuss it with someone who knows not to take the internet seriously."
Weapon: Black Magic
So Gigastorm is just a (~partial~) repaint of Trypticon?
“I like to think that my arrogance, impetuosity,
impatience, selfishness and greed are the qualities
that make me the lovable chap I am.”
Psychout
HMW Moderator
News Credits: 42
Alt Mode: Cassette. The 80s ROCKED
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 1
Speed: 1
Endurance: 1
Courage: 1
Firepower: 1
Skill: 10

Postby Scaleface » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:56 am

What's with Fractyl's bio being in complete opposition to his story from Botcon? He's supposed to be a maximal protoform who was turned into a Predacon by Megatron, but then he was so useless in combat he was never seen in the TV series. Now he's a Predacon from Cybertron?
Scaleface
Gestalt
News Credits: 49

Postby Galvatronus » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:20 am

Scaleface wrote:What's with Fractyl's bio being in complete opposition to his story from Botcon? He's supposed to be a maximal protoform who was turned into a Predacon by Megatron, but then he was so useless in combat he was never seen in the TV series. Now he's a Predacon from Cybertron?

They never said they would use the BotCon stories, just the characters.

I am loving the cover with Torca. Galvatron doesn't llok that bad but the art, for the most part, is still a little disappointing. Haven't read any of the preview bios yet. I'll just wait til tomorrow and save the eye strain. :grin:
Galvatronus
Pretender

Postby AxiomScion » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:12 pm

Galvatron Primal wrote:
Scaleface wrote:What's with Fractyl's bio being in complete opposition to his story from Botcon? He's supposed to be a maximal protoform who was turned into a Predacon by Megatron, but then he was so useless in combat he was never seen in the TV series. Now he's a Predacon from Cybertron?

They never said they would use the BotCon stories, just the characters.

I am loving the cover with Torca. Galvatron doesn't llok that bad but the art, for the most part, is still a little disappointing. Haven't read any of the preview bios yet. I'll just wait til tomorrow and save the eye strain. :grin:
:sad: my eyes... i should have waited...

The strain was too much by the time i got through Fractyls weakness and abilities section, (i don't know why i read them from bottom to top) so i'll squint at his Bio tommorrow.

I'm wondering if fuzors will be labeled as there dominant animal doner or as a hybrid. Elephorca, the blendtron repaint of Torca, is labels and elephant but obviously lacks a trunk and looks just like the killer whale/ elephant fuzor featured in the picture above.

I'm not that excited after seeing Galvatron either... :(
AxiomScion
Gestalt Team Leader

Postby Dr. Caelus » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:36 pm

They also label Elephorca as a hulking idiot, while his Japaness bio makes him out to be the smartest of the Blendtrons. :?
Check out my books, Titanomachies and Divine Retribution, on my blog!
Dr. Caelus
Faction Commander
News Credits: 6

Postby i_amtrunks » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:42 pm

For all the supposed time and effort Yee and Furman put into this book, they sure made alot of "mistakes" and created even more character inconsistencies.

Art looks to be better this time around, hopefully there will be very little Ruffalo art.
Awesomesauce; Use it, you know you want to.
i_amtrunks
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 972

Postby Scaleface » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:46 pm

Caelus wrote:They also label Elephorca as a hulking idiot, while his Japaness bio makes him out to be the smartest of the Blendtrons. :?

He's idiot with a 9 out of 10 Intelligence. Sadly I think the writers were only at 4 out of 10 when they wrote his entry.
Scaleface
Gestalt

Postby Tripredacus agent » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:33 pm

I might be missing something but how can BW Galvatron be named after the herald of Unicron when the IDW Galvatron is a separate entity not related to ol' horn head and Furman has said that the dead universe is something else entirely ?
" Job has all his children killed, and Michael Bay gets to keep making movies. Then I was right there is no God." - Kyle Broflovski
Tripredacus agent
Mini-Con

Postby Dr. Caelus » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:53 pm

Tripredacus agent wrote:I might be missing something but how can BW Galvatron be named after the herald of Unicron when the IDW Galvatron is a separate entity not related to ol' horn head and Furman has said that the dead universe is something else entirely ?

Well, seeing as the Ark from the G1 Cartoon/Comic appears in the IDW Beast Wars comics, I would assume that it is in continuity with that universe rather than in continuity with IDW's ongoing series.
Dr. Caelus
Faction Commander

Postby Darth Bombshell » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:06 pm

Motto: "Insanity is a state of mind, and I have a home there."
Weapon: Cerebro-Shell Launcher
Archanubis wrote:I hope they do a better job of coloring with this book than they did the first issue.

Nope. Ryall pretty much admitted himself that this issue, along with #1, fell through the cracks (though how that's possible given the year long grace period they had continues to amaze me).

i_amtrunks wrote:For all the supposed time and effort Yee and Furman put into this book, they sure made alot of "mistakes" and created even more character inconsistencies.

Indeed. And if there was any real doubt about it, Fractyl's bio pretty much killed it to the point where not even immediate CPR can bring it back.

At least they didn't resort to making BWII Galvatron G1 Galvatron, just doing what they did with Megs. But, in doing so, it's really noting more than derivative and thus a small, small postive against the dark sea of negative.
Darth Bombshell
Gestalt
News Credits: 487
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 7

Postby Scaleface » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:19 pm

Tripredacus agent wrote:I might be missing something but how can BW Galvatron be named after the herald of Unicron when the IDW Galvatron is a separate entity not related to ol' horn head and Furman has said that the dead universe is something else entirely ?

Beast Wars doesn't take place in the IDW G1 - as the Ark wasn't stranded on earth 4 million years ago. It's the Marvel/Animated/Dreamwave or Devil's Due G1 - all had a crashed Ark with Optimus and Megatron on it.
Scaleface
Gestalt

Postby i_amtrunks » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:13 pm

Scaleface wrote:

Beast Wars doesn't take place in the IDW G1 - as the Ark wasn't stranded on earth 4 million years ago. It's the Marvel/Animated/Dreamwave or Devil's Due G1 - all had a crashed Ark with Optimus and Megatron on it.

I think that the Beast Wars Comics tie into the Beast Wars show, and thus the G1 Cartoon continuation. IDW G1-verse is no relation.
Awesomesauce; Use it, you know you want to.
i_amtrunks
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 972

Postby Darth Bombshell » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:19 pm

i_amtrunks wrote:I think that the Beast Wars Comics tie into the Beast Wars show, and thus the G1 Cartoon continuation. IDW G1-verse is no relation.

Yeah, that's the way it's supposed to be. Then again, does it really matter anymore?
Darth Bombshell
Gestalt

Postby Damolisher » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:13 pm

Yeah, these sourcebooks are kinda stupid though, since Furman can't seem to make his mind up whether he's talking about a character in the past or present tense.
Damolisher
Brainmaster
News Credits: 3

Postby Hitokiri Recca » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:49 pm

At least they made the attempt at this sourcebook. Which is more than we can say for Dreamwave as Pat Lee jipped everyone with his "use the money on me and screw the artists and comic fans" mentality
Hitokiri Recca
Mini-Con

Postby Darth Bombshell » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:27 am

Hitokiri Recca wrote:At least they made the attempt at this sourcebook. Which is more than we can say for Dreamwave as Pat Lee jipped everyone with his "use the money on me and screw the artists and comic fans" mentality

Except that it appears that IDW is using the money for them and screwing the artists and comic fans, albiet in a different way.
Darth Bombshell
Gestalt

Postby Leonardo » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:41 am

Darth Bombshell wrote:
Hitokiri Recca wrote:At least they made the attempt at this sourcebook. Which is more than we can say for Dreamwave as Pat Lee jipped everyone with his "use the money on me and screw the artists and comic fans" mentality

Except that it appears that IDW is using the money for them and screwing the artists and comic fans, albiet in a different way.

Harsh!

As for continuity, I'm not sure it matters. Everything in Transformers can be explained by parallel universes and The Ultimate Guide. Fact. Not scientific fact, mind you, or even actual fact but fact none-the-less.
Leonardo
Faction Commander
News Credits: 1

Postby Darth Bombshell » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:46 am

Leonardo wrote:Harsh!

Yes, it's harsh. But it's also true.
Darth Bombshell
Gestalt

Postby Dr. Caelus » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:42 am

Darth Bombshell wrote:
Leonardo wrote:Harsh!

Yes, it's harsh. But it's also true.

From a certain point of view...

I for one feel, that on the whole, we've been getting a spectacular product.

If there is a problem, it's that the sideline TF comics (Beast Wars, Evolutions) aren't getting the TLC that the Spotlights and Ongoing series are getting, which, realistically, makes sense.

Edit: Given that part of the problem is that IDW spends time and money on other nonTF comic series, I'm now glad Marvel didn't grab the liscence.
Dr. Caelus
Faction Commander

Postby Darth Bombshell » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:48 am

Caelus wrote:From a certain point of view...

I for one feel, that on the whole, we've been getting a spectacular product.

If there is a problem, it's that the sideline TF comics (Beast Wars, Evolutions) aren't getting the TLC that the Spotlights and Ongoing series are getting, which, realistically, makes sense.

So basically, what you're saying is that, from a certain point of view, you feel that you're getting a spectacular product, yet in the same breath, claiming that they're not getting enough attention compared to the G1 title and that it could be better than it is.

You can't really have it both ways, dude. In that context, either BW is good or it isn't.
Darth Bombshell
Gestalt

Postby Scaleface » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:52 am

I am a bit disappointed by a lack of consistancy in the writing. Tense, use of common terms (is it Triple Changer? Mode 3? Third Form?) and the ignoring of established TF Tech Specs (Elephadora is dumb? He has a 9 Intelligence! New Mottos for EVERYONE!) Sorta offputting. I could have proofread the book and inproved it, and i have had one college level English class.
Scaleface
Gestalt

Postby Leonardo » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:16 am

Yes, I find that a little bizarre. I thought one of the points of the sourcebook was to make the pre-existing obscure characters a bit more familiar, not rewrite or revamp those obscure characters.
Leonardo
Faction Commander
News Credits: 1

Next

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "FLASH #797 Cvr B DC Comics 0223DC171 797B (W) Adams (A) Acuna (CA) Di Nicuolo"
FLASH #797 Cvr B D ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WONDER WOMAN #82 Cheetah DC Comics 2019 (w) Orlando (ca) Albuquerque AUG190635"
WONDER WOMAN #82 C ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "FLASH #105 Facsimile DC Comics 2023 ptg 0723DC205 (CA) Infantino + Giella"
FLASH #105 Facsimi ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Batman BRAVE AND BOLD #2 Cvr C DC Comics 2023 0423DC017 2C (CA) Booth"
Batman BRAVE AND B ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ACTION COMICS #1055 Cvr B Superman DC Comics 2023 0323DC080 1055B (CA) Sandoval"
ACTION COMICS #105 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WORLDS FINEST #8 DC Comics 1999 (CA) Taylor (W) Kesel (A) Doherty 230915A"
WORLDS FINEST #8 D ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS #1 Facsimile Cvr B Foil DC Comics 2024 0324DC132 1B"
NEW!
CRISIS ON INFINITE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN #140 Cvr E Santa + Robin DC Comics 2023 0923DC079 140E (CA) Schmidt"
BATMAN #140 Cvr E ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DETECTIVE COMICS #1069 Cvr C DC Comics 2023 DEC222972 1069C (CA) Reis"
DETECTIVE COMICS # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ACTION COMICS #1056 Cvr F Superman DC Comics 2023 0423DC053 1056F (CA) Schmidt"
ACTION COMICS #105 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS #1 Facsimile Cvr C blank DC Comics 2024 0324DC133 1C"
NEW!
CRISIS ON INFINITE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ACTION COMICS #1054 Cvr D Superman DC Comics 2023 0223DC031 1054D (CA) Moustafa"
ACTION COMICS #105 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "NEW TEEN TITANS #1 Facsimile Cvr A DC Comics 2023 ptg 1023DC206 1A (CA) Perez"
NEW TEEN TITANS #1 ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BATMAN #134 Cvr A DC Comics 2023 0223DC042 134A (W) Zdarsky (CA) Jimenez"
BATMAN #134 Cvr A ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Nemesis Prime (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Snarl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Misfire and Aimless" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Blackwing" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Moonracer" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Quintus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Blitzwing and Decepticon Hazard" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Breakdown Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Deception Off Road Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Alchemist Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON