This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

TakaraTomy to move Factories out of China, to Vietnam and Thailand

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

TakaraTomy to move Factories out of China, to Vietnam and Thailand

Postby i_amtrunks » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:53 pm

<a href="http://www.agesthreeandup.com">Agesthreeandup</a> has posted on the <a href="http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=156474" target="_blank">tfw2005</a> boards that Toy Company TakaraTomy will be shifting many of their factories from China to other Asian countries such as Vietnam and Thailand.

A main reason behind the move is because of the mistrust in Chinese made products due in part to the excess amount of lead and other harmful substances found in other Chinese made products over the last few months.
Another reason is to save production costs, as labour costs in Guangdong, China have risen due to labour shortages.

To read the full post, please <a href="http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=156474" target="_blank">click here</a>.
Awesomesauce; Use it, you know you want to.
i_amtrunks
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 972

Postby 1337W422102 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:54 pm

Motto: "I come from the Net."
Weapon: Double-Barreled, Armor-Piercing Particle Beam Cann...
Can't say I saw this one coming.
Ages 25 & Up, comics with ball joints of steel. Updated Mondays.
Classics Prime and Cybertron Armorhide are the Bad Mother Truckers
1337W422102
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 23
Strength: 3
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 6
Endurance: 3
Courage: 5
Firepower: 7
Skill: 8

Postby Liege Evilmus » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:56 pm

So long as prices don't get any higher, can't say I care.

My Collection, updated 4/21(sorta)... viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35550&p=627727#p627727
Liege Evilmus
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 8

Postby Tigertrack » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:57 pm

Motto: "A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
So can we expect there to be a change in quality? Supposedly this seems like it is a move to keep quality where it is at, but I was just curious.
Tigertrack
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 1082
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Courage: 9
Firepower: 8
Skill: 10

Postby i_amtrunks » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:59 pm

I would think that the factories would be filled with the same equipment, the same products and materials used, the only thing changing would be the location of said factory, and cheaper labour. I'd say quality should be more or less the same then.
Awesomesauce; Use it, you know you want to.
i_amtrunks
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 972

Postby BLIX007 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:32 pm

Makes me wonder if Prices may actually lower b/c of the move. Time will tell.
"Getting older is Inevitable....Growing up is Optional"

http://blix007.deviantart.com/
BLIX007
Micromaster
News Credits: 1

Postby Cyber-Kun » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:41 pm

if they kept the prices the same and improved the quality, that'd be awesome, but unlikely.
recent acquisitions: TFA Black Arachnia, Ratchet & Leader Megatron, Movie Stockade
Cyber-Kun
Headmaster Jr

Postby zemper » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:13 pm

i doubt if prices would go lower. the industry still continues to suffer because of high oil prices (per barrel), because petroleum is a key ingredient in making plastics used in the toys.

and besides, has there been a price reduction per price point in TFs in the past 10 years?

:MAX:
all the comments above are the HUMBLE OPINIONS of the said user only. 'nuff sed.
zemper
Godmaster

Postby Autobot032 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:16 pm

Weapon: Switch Blade Tail
Hmm. This is definitely something new. Wasn't expecting this one at all.

Like others have said, I hope this either lowers or keeps the prices the same, but raises the quality.

If it doesn't change for the better, let's at least hope for the same. *crosses fingers*

Although...QC has dropped a bit in Takara/Tomy's game.
NOTE: Realize that I am not a perfect Christian, nor do I profess to be. I apologize if anyone's ever offended by me, I'm not perfect. Don't hold my posts and opinions against other Christians.
Autobot032
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 668
Buy from Autobot032 on eBay

Postby Stickshift » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:31 pm

"main reason behind the move is because of the mistrust in Chinese made products due in part to the excess amount of lead and other harmful substances found in other Chinese made products over the last few months"

This is just a convenient excuse. The Mattel F*** up was down to internal missmanagent from what I can tell having spoken to a number of factory managers (unrelated to Mattel) in China. The primary reason is that China is getting too expensive due to labour shortages as mentioned in the second statement. Everyone is feeling the pinch on that and Chinese factories are becoming much more demanding of their customers.
Stickshift
Micromaster
News Credits: 2

Postby Stickshift » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:36 pm

On the quality front. Most reputable Chinese factories are now excellent, but this comes as a result of nearly 20 years of experience. Operations moving to the path less trodden may find that they have to put a lot more of their own resources in to developing these new facilities (much like many of the startups in China needed management to come from Hong Kong and Taiwan to oversea production)

I would expect longer lead times on new product lines as a result of delays in getting QC sorted.

I doubt the swap over will be absolute and instant though, so they should just about cope
Stickshift
Micromaster

Postby Bumblethumper » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:50 pm

Stickshift wrote:This is just a convenient excuse. The Mattel F*** up was down to internal missmanagent from what I can tell having spoken to a number of factory managers (unrelated to Mattel) in China.

I think you're probably right. In my opinion the Chinese factories have done a fine job producing TakaraTomy's products. I hope they will be able to maintain the same standards in Vietnam and Thailand.

I wonder if China's lax attitudes to intellectual property was also a factor.
Bumblethumper
Headmaster
News Credits: 4

Postby Glitcher » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:53 pm

1337W422102 wrote:Can't say I saw this one coming.

Ditto. I also heard one guy hanged himself at his factory after all orders for his merchandise were cancelled following the scandal.
Glitcher
Combiner

Postby Archanubis » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:57 pm

Motto: "Don't take life too seriously or you'll never get out of it alive."
Weapon: Lightning Rifle
zemper wrote:and besides, has there been a price reduction per price point in TFs in the past 10 years?

Has there been a price reduction per price point for toys in general?
Archanubis
City Commander
News Credits: 3

Postby Bumblethumper » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:05 pm

Archanubis wrote:
zemper wrote:and besides, has there been a price reduction per price point in TFs in the past 10 years?

Has there been a price reduction per price point for toys in general?

Well by default, since prices haven't been rising in line with inflation.
Bumblethumper
Headmaster
News Credits: 4

Postby shortround » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:10 pm

Well there really is no surprise there I'm sure other company will be following there lead.
Serpentor "I am the one born to rule and destined to conquer. Let those who fear me, follow me. Let those who oppose me, die."
shortround
Gestalt
News Credits: 7

Postby Zeds » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:58 pm

Motto: "I once lost a battle. So long ago I can barely remember it."
Weapon: Thermal Melters
Tak/Tomy is one of the first to make this step amongst many more to come. This will turn into a stampede in the coming months as there continues to be 'issues' with products coming out of China. Not all the problems are do to the plants as some of them can be related to design 'issues' from Corporate HQ on this side of the pond but China needs to clamp down on QC in its plants and on a side note on its food processing especially after what happened with that dog and cat food fiasco.

Well done Tak/Tomy. Even though most of this is due to the Japanese population expecting higher standards than the rest of the world. Can't see Mattel making this decision anytime soon as our standards are just not as high compared to the Japanese consumer.
BWOP: "Die-cast construction...It's a lost art!"

Longs for the days of G1 where we only had to worry about Megatron, Soundwave and Laserbeak wanting to be Autobots, Swoop calling himself Tracks and Slingshot calling himself Slingslot!
Zeds
Gestalt
News Credits: 9
Buy from Zeds on eBay
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 4
Endurance: 8
Courage: 10
Firepower: 6
Skill: 7

Re: TakaraTomy to move Factories out of China, to Vietnam and Thailand

Postby andynsm » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:05 pm

i_amtrunks wrote:<a href="http://www.agesthreeandup.com">Agesthreeandup</a> has posted on the <a href="http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=156474" target="_blank">tfw2005</a> boards that Toy Company TakaraTomy will be shifting many of their factories from China to other Asian countries such as Vietnam and Thailand.

A main reason behind the move is because of the mistrust in Chinese made products due in part to the excess amount of lead and other harmful substances found in other Chinese made products over the last few months.
Another reason is to save production costs, as labour costs in Guangdong, China have risen due to labour shortages.

To read the full post, please <a href="http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=156474" target="_blank">click here</a>.

not really surprised by this. despite China still being the world's factory; with their rise in prominence so do labor costs etc rise with that as well so not just toy manufacturers but many other industries are already looking at countries like Vietnam & Thailand as the next best option for obvious cost reasons.

A
True power belongs to those who wants to win in actuality, regardless of appearances.
andynsm
Mini-Con

Postby Patrick Bateman » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:15 am

What andynsm said. China is getting more and more expensive as the economy grows. That will happen to Vietman, Thailand etc. in 10 or 15 years from now just as well.
Patrick Bateman
Minibot

Postby Stormrider » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:17 am

Weapon: Atom-Smasher Cannon
This sounds like very good news. I am sick of the quality control and poor workmanship from Chinese made products. This may also stop some of the KOs too.

Thailand and Vietnam have a highly skilled labor force. Let's hope they have learned something from China's poor business standards and environmental disasters though.
Stormrider
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 409

Postby andynsm » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:28 am

think itz only natural from a company perspective, they'd go look for cheaper alternatives but i guess end of the day for us collectors, we just want to be assured that quality is not compromised.

A
True power belongs to those who wants to win in actuality, regardless of appearances.
andynsm
Mini-Con

Postby DREWCIFER » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:02 am

Bumblethumper wrote:I wonder if China's lax attitudes to intellectual property was also a factor.

I bet that did play a factor in it also. So will the KO's of new toys stop?

:DEVIL:

Crazy?!? You wouldn't know what crazy was, if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch! - Suicidal Tendencies
DREWCIFER
Headmaster

Postby skywarp-2 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:17 am

Well that's good news...better quality Products made in a country that desperately wants new manufacturing business...

we should see exceptional things coming from those factories...

Here's my only worry:

What if certain products are put on hiatus, or Production levels of a certain product are temporarily cut short??

We could have major Bidding wars on eBay if they cut short stock on certain figures... :shock:

due to the move...
"You Waste More energy with your mouth."
Check out My Deviant Art Page:
http://skywarp-2.deviantart.com/
http://capitalcomicsstudios.deviantart.com/
http://time-lord-rassilon.deviantart.com/
Check out my new Custom Transformers G-1 CCG! Updated! 07/21/2009!!!!
http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/vi ... 27&t=56030
skywarp-2
Faction Commander
News Credits: 5

Postby Patrick Bateman » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:47 am

I don´t think that will happen. No company would switch off its production before the new facilities aren´t fully operative.
Patrick Bateman
Minibot

Postby skywarp-2 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:50 am

Patrick Bateman wrote:I don´t think that will happen. No company would switch off its production before the new facilities aren´t fully operative.

I agree, but I'm not suggesting the entire Production gets cut just certain things, which would suck...
"You Waste More energy with your mouth."
Check out My Deviant Art Page:
http://skywarp-2.deviantart.com/
http://capitalcomicsstudios.deviantart.com/
http://time-lord-rassilon.deviantart.com/
Check out my new Custom Transformers G-1 CCG! Updated! 07/21/2009!!!!
http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/vi ... 27&t=56030
skywarp-2
Faction Commander
News Credits: 5

Next

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BUMBLEBEE Transformers Cyberverse Tiny Turbo Changers Series 2 Hasbro 2019 New"
BUMBLEBEE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SOUNDWAVE + RAVAGE Transformers Bumblebee Plastic Model Kit Trumpeter 2023 New"
SOUNDWAVE + RAVAGE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "World's Smallest Transformers BUMBLEBEE 1.25" Micro Action Figure Authentic New"
World's Smallest T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS PREVIEW 2nd ptg Optimus Prime var Dreamwave Comics 2002 G1 (CA) Lee"
TRANSFORMERS PREVI ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BUMBLEBEE Transformers Cyberverse Tiny Turbo Changers Series 1 Hasbro 2019 New"
BUMBLEBEE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ULTIMATE OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Dark Moon complete + more DOTM 2011 230427A"
ULTIMATE OPTIMUS P ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BUMBLEBEE Transformers Studio Series Core Class Dark of the Moon DOTM 2023 New"
BUMBLEBEE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Rescan BUMBLEBEE Transformers Rescue Bots 2015 yellow muscle car 201217a"
Rescan BUMBLEBEE T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Power Attackers POWER PUNCH BUMBLEBEE Transformers Age of Extinction AOE Movie"
Power Attackers PO ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BUMBLEBEE + CHEETOR + OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Buzzworthy Cyberverse 2022 New"
BUMBLEBEE + CHEETO ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Funko Pop! Transformers BUMBLEBEE Vinyl Figure #23 Retro Toys 2020 New"
Funko Pop! Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BUMBLEBEE (Camaro) Transformers Movie Energon Igniters Power Plus Series 2018"
BUMBLEBEE (Camaro) ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BUMBLEBEE Transformers ROTF Burger King Fast Food Premium 2011 210930A"
BUMBLEBEE Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "FALLEN LEADER OPTIMUS PRIME W/ MATRIX Transformers Super7 Reaction Series 4 New"
FALLEN LEADER OPTI ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Kramer Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 07 Leader Class Movie 4 Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Evolution Nemesis Prime (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Rippersnapper" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe 20 Mercenary Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Twin Twist and Flameout" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Deluxe Titans Return Autobots Throttle and Breakaway Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Potato Head Transformers Mixable Mashable Heroes as Optimus Prime and Grimlock Figures" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Nucleon and Galvatron" on AMAZON