This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Galvatron Spotlight Revealed by Simon Furman

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Galvatron Spotlight Revealed by Simon Furman

Postby Stormrider » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:39 am

Weapon: Atom-Smasher Cannon
Comic book writer, Simon Furman, is a well known for his Transformers titles with Marvel UK, Marvel US, Dreamwave, and IDW. Recently, Simon revealed details about the Spotlight Issue featuring Galvatron during an interview with CBR. Click here to read the article and learn how Galvatron was crafted for the issue.

Caution contains spoilers
Stormrider
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 409

Postby ShockwaveUK » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:08 am

It's a shame Unicron's been ruled out of the IDWverse altogether, down the line they could have done some really good stuff with him.
ShockwaveUK

Postby Stormwolf » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:21 am

Weapon: Particle Beam Cannon
Another Magnus vs Galvatron, kickass :grin:
Stormwolf
Brainmaster
News Credits: 3
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10
Endurance: 10
Courage: 10
Firepower: 10
Skill: 10

Postby Leonardo » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:44 am

I'm excited about this.
Leonardo
Faction Commander
News Credits: 1

Postby tequila stu » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:24 am

i can't wait, even if i have to spend £70+ to get it, i will.
tequila stu
Pretender

Postby Psychout » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:46 am

Motto: "This post clearly was meant to offend, and if you are affected by it in any way please close your browser and discuss it with someone who knows not to take the internet seriously."
Weapon: Black Magic
Interesting, sounds brilliant.
Im interested to see Galvy's history now he's not the son of Unicron, he mentioned pre-civil war stuff.
“I like to think that my arrogance, impetuosity,
impatience, selfishness and greed are the qualities
that make me the lovable chap I am.”
Psychout
HMW Moderator
News Credits: 42
Alt Mode: Cassette. The 80s ROCKED
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 1
Speed: 1
Endurance: 1
Courage: 1
Firepower: 1

Postby Darth Bombshell » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:27 am

Motto: "Insanity is a state of mind, and I have a home there."
Weapon: Cerebro-Shell Launcher
shockwaveuk wrote:It's a shame Unicron's been ruled out of the IDWverse altogether, down the line they could have done some really good stuff with him.

Yeah, like they have for the past five years...
Darth Bombshell
Gestalt
News Credits: 487
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 7
Speed: 5
Endurance: 6
Courage: 8
Firepower: 6
Skill: 7

Postby Yeti » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:34 am

I'm not keen on Galvy not been Megs. It just doesn't sit right with me. I'm all for new takes, but it just sees TOO radical. As ever, I'll reserve final judgement till I read it.
Yeti
Micromaster
News Credits: 5

Postby Leonardo » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:55 am

Yeti wrote:I'm not keen on Galvy not been Megs. It just doesn't sit right with me. I'm all for new takes, but it just sees TOO radical. As ever, I'll reserve final judgement till I read it.

Too radical? Wasn't G1 Galvatron intended to be a different character to G1 Megatron originally, anyway?
Leonardo
Faction Commander

Postby Blozor » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:56 am

Motto: ""Distrust everything — you're bound to get something right."
Weapon: Double-Barreled Plasma Shell Shotgun
So that's who the half-mutilated, shadowy robot in the Escalation #5 preview was. Here I was thinking it was Shockwave after being dug out of the volcano at the end of his Spotlight.

I'm all for Galvatron being a different character than Megatron, but similar, as long as it's a more extreme version of Megatron. It's about time, really. Whenever they tried to introduce Galvatron into the current continuity previously, it was always some contrived time-travel explanation, and it'll be really interesting to see him fight Megatron without having to worry about erasing his own existence by killing Megatron. Megatron versus Galvatron, no holds barred, should be an awesome match. It could be a one-shot in itself. Then the winner gets to face Prime.

I also find it good that they're finally leaving Unicron out for this continuity. Furman's right — he is overused, and it's too apocalyptic. Let's leave what has become a clichéd climax out of the story and focus on the characters, their struggles, and the devastation their own short-sightedness can cause (Cybertron, Nebulos, perhaps Earth). Right now, it makes a good parable for the war-driven world we're living in, instead of, basically, a retelling of the 1986 Movie over and over again.

Besides, he's already hinted at Unicron showing up in Beast Wars, which is currently in-continuity with the original G1 universe, (of which Beast Wars is a continuation, as far as I'm concerned), and not the IDW universe. So we may be seeing Unicron in the future; he's not ruled out of IDW all together. It's also possible he could be contained in Evolutions storylines as well, come to think of it.
Blozor
Combiner
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 2
Endurance: 8
Courage: 7
Firepower: 5
Skill: 9

Postby Delta Supreme » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:59 am

Before everyone starts panicking:

1. No Unicron (for now) is a good thing. We've had too much "let's unite to beat up the big planet" stuff throughout TFs (Movie, 1st series comics, Armada, etc.) I like the concept of a world/continuity existing which is not focused on the overwhelming threat of a giant evil planet.

2. Remember, Galvy the toy was designed/assigned the position of City Commander, the Decepticon equivalent of Ultra Magnus. I, for one, am getting sick and tired of Galvy being the "powered up" version of Megs, which, obviously, means that once Galvy shows up Megs is out the window, barring hokey time or dimension hopping. By rebuilding him as his own character, this allows both to coexist, and can lead to a lot more interesting scenerios.
Delta Supreme
Micromaster

Postby Cyberstrike » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:22 am

Motto: "I don't lose, I CONQUER!"
Weapon: Electro-Sword
Delta Supreme wrote:Before everyone starts panicking:

1. No Unicron (for now) is a good thing. We've had too much "let's unite to beat up the big planet" stuff throughout TFs (Movie, 1st series comics, Armada, etc.) I like the concept of a world/continuity existing which is not focused on the overwhelming threat of a giant evil planet.

2. Remember, Galvy the toy was designed/assigned the position of City Commander, the Decepticon equivalent of Ultra Magnus. I, for one, am getting sick and tired of Galvy being the "powered up" version of Megs, which, obviously, means that once Galvy shows up Megs is out the window, barring hokey time or dimension hopping. By rebuilding him as his own character, this allows both to coexist, and can lead to a lot more interesting scenerios.

QFT

I would love to see a Galvatron vs Megatron fight to the death.
Cyberstrike
Headmaster
Watch Cyberstrike on YouTube
Strength: 10+
Speed: Infinity
Endurance: Infinity
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 8
Skill: 5

Postby Brakethrough » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:46 am

Yay! Hound!
"A polar bear is dropkicked by a robot that turns into a police car."
Brakethrough
Targetmaster

Postby Stormwolf » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:13 am

Cyberstrike wrote:I would love to see a Galvatron vs Megatron fight to the death.

Like so?

Stormwolf
Brainmaster

Postby bookofjunon » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:49 am

Finally, Galvy and Megs being 2 different characters, the way they were originally intended to be. Plus Galvy vs. Magnus.

Should be cool with Guido's art.
bookofjunon
Minibot

Postby Hans » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:00 pm

The Galvatron 'saga' essentially (though not chronologically) begins in 'TF Spotlight Nightbeat,' features as a cameo in 'Escalation #5,' opens up into TF Spotlight Galvatron (which itself is further expanded on in the following Spotlight), creates major ripples in 'Transformers Devastation' and finally explodes in 'Transformers Revelation.' So who/what is Galvatron? This is our second brush with something we're calling The Dead Universe and it all revolves around the fate of the first Ark spacecraft and its crew. Can't say much more... Yet."

This sounds... very exciting!! :)

I really like the idea of Megatron and Galvatron co-existing at the same time together. We've seen it before in Marvel UK and US, but it's still good. Also, Galvatron and Magnus should always be eachothers nemesis. The toys seem to imply this as well (same size).

Oh, and Galvatron actually has a design that always seemed to imply he predates Megatron (even though he didn't used to). His more rounded shape just looks... older somehow.

And Raymond: now we know why there's no Decepticon logo :)

Oh, and we need more Guido @ IDW!
Hans
Fuzor
News Credits: 8

Postby jgilkinson » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:41 pm

AWESOME... been wanting a Galvi Magnus showdown for some time
jgilkinson
Pretender

Postby Blozor » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:49 pm

Motto: ""Distrust everything — you're bound to get something right."
Weapon: Double-Barreled Plasma Shell Shotgun
Stormwolf wrote:Image

It looks to me like Megatron has to tinkle.
Blozor
Combiner
Strength: 5
Speed: 2
Endurance: 8
Courage: 7
Firepower: 5
Skill: 9

Postby Stormwolf » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:13 pm

Stormwolf
Brainmaster

Postby Grimshock » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:47 pm

Well, I can't believe I found another couple of things to agree with Furman on: Megatron and Galvatron being separate characters and no Unicron. And, here I thought the only think I'd ever agree with Furman was that TF's are genderless.
Grimshock
Minibot

Postby Ultra Markus » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:46 pm

Motto: "“You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.” - Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight"
Weapon: 16 Cannons
I am kind of glad that we won't see unicron we've seen too much of him lately anyway from the tv shows.
Maybe a spotlight unicron book were they do an origin of were he came from, but other than that, thats enough
Ultra Markus
Gestalt
Alt Mode: the biggest baddest thing ever
Speed: 7

Postby Ultra Markus » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:55 pm

Motto: "“You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.” - Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight"
Weapon: 16 Cannons
I don't think the universe is big enough to have megatron and galvatron exist in the same time or place.
Ultra Markus
Gestalt
Alt Mode: the biggest baddest thing ever
Speed: 7

Postby Foallen » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:17 pm

I like Galvatron and Megatron being seperate characters. I always kind of felt like that way about it even when I was younger... Probably because of how things came about...

I used to find Megatron on the cartoons sound too much like an old man and liked in the comics when he got taken out by Shockwave (who was one of my favourites). Also I didn't like the toy's robot mode.

Then when I seen the Galvatron toy (before the movie), I loved the toy and the character right away.

When I went to see the movie and seen they were the same person, I guess I already had two opposing views of the characters... I continued to like Galvatron in the comics and cartoon for some reason, but only recently (past few years) came around on Megatron being pretty cool...
Foallen
Fuzor

Postby Loki120 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:50 am

Hot_Rod wrote:I just wish we had ONE unifying continuity in every Transformers medium. The fact that there are different takes is our ultimate demise as a fandom.

This is why I like G.I.Joe, three different company changes and three title changes and all remained within the same continuity. They actually get the fandom.

As for Transformers, we're stuck with the multiple dimension thing for every new series. I guess we Transformer fans just ain't smart enuff to grasp past events and will just get all sorts of confuseded.

I long since lost interest in the new IDW series. When Runamuck and Runabout show up before soundwave and the tapes, it's time to check out.
Loki120
Transmetal Warrior

Next

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WRECK-GAR Transformers Super7 Ultimates 7" Junkion action figure 2023 New"
WRECK-GAR Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Funko Pop! Jumbo Transformers UNICRON Vinyl Figure #103 SDCC convention 2022 New"
Funko Pop! Jumbo T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MEGATRON Transformers Movie Super7 Reaction Series 1 Retro Figure 2020 New"
MEGATRON Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "FALLEN LEADER OPTIMUS PRIME W/ MATRIX Transformers Super7 Reaction Series 4 New"
FALLEN LEADER OPTI ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MEGATRON + KREMZEEK Transformers Super7 Ultimates 7" figure WV2 2023 New"
MEGATRON + KREMZEE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Funko Pop! Transformers OPTIMUS PRIME Vinyl Figure #22 Retro Toys 2020 New"
Funko Pop! Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "IRONHIDE (Purple) Transformers Super7 Keshi Surprise Autobot Series Decoy 2018"
IRONHIDE (Purple) ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DINOBOT Transformers Beast Wars Super7 Reaction Retro Figure 2023 New"
DINOBOT Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SHRAPNEL (Orange) Transformers Super7 Keshi Surprise Decepticon Series Decoys"
SHRAPNEL (Orange) ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "REFORMATTING MEGATRON Transformers Super7 Ultimates 7" figure WV2 2024 New"
NEW!
REFORMATTING MEGAT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DEAD OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Super7 Ultimates 7" action figure WV4 2024 New"
DEAD OPTIMUS PRIME ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIMAL Transformers Beast Wars Super7 Reaction Retro Figure 2023 New"
NEW!
OPTIMUS PRIMAL Tra ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BANZAI-TRON Transformers Super7 Ultimates 7" action master figure WV1 2022 New"
BANZAI-TRON Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SHARKTICON (Gnaw) Transformers Super7 Reaction Retro Wave 6 2023 New"
SHARKTICON (Gnaw) ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Cutthroat" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Deluxe Stryker 1 Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Toys Megatron Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Fusion Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 11.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Repugnus, Dastard, and Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Autobot Hound" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Speed Series Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titan Masters Overboard Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Deluxe Titans Return Autobots Throttle and Breakaway Action Figure" on AMAZON