This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Chris Ryall offers Apologiy for Errors in Spotlight Grimlock

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

Chris Ryall offers Apologiy for Errors in Spotlight Grimlock

Postby i_amtrunks » Mon May 05, 2008 11:47 pm

Thanks to Sharky Sparky of TAAU for pointing this out to me:

This was taken from the IDW Forums where Chris Ryall has posted an apology of sorts concerning the quality issues with Spotlight Grimlock:

"my job, everything I've worked toward in my life, the thing I care about most, is words. So while it doesn't help you since its your money buying these comics, at least you should know that these errors hurt me to a degree far worse than they do you. That doesn't make it right, it just means I'm with you. We all are. None of us work the hours we work with the express purpose of delivering inferior product. So first, I'm sorry these happened. I always am. GRIMLOCK is a book that many people, including Simon, have patiently waited for, and to finally put it out with careless errors is unfortunate, to say the least.

How do these things happen? Many reasons, not least of which is the sheer demands required to produce comics every month. That's not an excuse, just explanation that with so many things happening on deadline at once, human error is going to be a factor at times. So if a project like this doesn't have someone's full concentration, things can slip by. The balloon placement slipped by at all levels, from editorial to licensor. It happens. You can have 20 people see a book and an error can slip by, or one person can handle a project and it can come out fine.

Denton wasn't even with the company when this issue was approved to print. He's blameless (this time!). And editorial flux isn't a good excuse, but it is a good reason.

This particular book was running incredibly late, and in order to get it done and out, multiple colorists pitched in, leading to variances in style. But I'm not pointing fingers at an editor or a colorist or anything else, I'm just saying we try our best and sometimes our best needs tuning up. I think we're at a good place now, and Denton is a great asset. So is Mowry. So while it's foolish to say this won't happen again--printing errors happen at all levels, up to and including menus, bibles, and probably this post--it's not foolish to say we're doing what we can to fix any past problems.

By the way, don't think I have any problem with anyone pointing these things out. You pays your money to buy our comic, you earns yourself the right to whatever opinion you have, as long as it's expressed politely here. These things, regrettable as they are, serve as flashpoints to remind everyone not to slack off and to try that much harder.

I'm sick of saying "we'll fix it in the trade," but we do our best to fix errors when we find them. We have no idea if anyone will care about the Beast Wars Sourcebook TPB, but man, did the editor on that, Justin, and the production person spend a lot of time--as did Ben Yee--doing their best to make it right this time around.

Let me just reiterate again that I hate letting you guys down. We certainly try our best not to do that and to prove worthy of your hard-earned cash.
"

Great to see the head honcho admit that mistakes were made. The IDW team earns my respect when they admit they are after-all only human and do make errors. Certainly a better approach than pretending they are perfect and never make mistakes.
Awesomesauce; Use it, you know you want to.
i_amtrunks
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 972

Re: Chris Ryall offers Apologiy for Errors in Spotlight Grimlock

Postby Autobot Jazz » Tue May 06, 2008 4:45 am

Apologiy accepted Chris, it can be hard to admit a mistake, just like in "Garbage In, Garbage Out"
My Feedback
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=37218
My Wants viewtopic.php?f=36&t=39782
Recent Acquirements:Animated Ratchet, Starscream, Voyager Megatron, Battle Begins 2-Pack
Autobot Jazz
Pretender
News Credits: 3

Postby Moonbase2 » Tue May 06, 2008 6:21 am

It's great that he apologized, and that he really meant it, but yeah, there's no excuse for the poor quality of that book. I noticed the errors immediately. He must've heard a lot lot lot of complaints to write an apology like that.
Moonbase2
Godmaster
News Credits: 2

Postby Prime Evil » Tue May 06, 2008 12:40 pm

Motto: "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
Still waiting for Pat Lee's apology...
facebook
PSN:Kalibr3Fyre
Transfandom's resident Junglist
Botcon Twitter re: Botcon 2012, "This set is not TFA" :D

Fans Project- Highly Recommend any and all products
Hasbro- Need more Generations toys peas
HeadRobots- Awesome, looking fwd to more good products
Perfect Effect- OK, looking fwd to more lil bots.
Prime Evil
Godmaster
News Credits: 23
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 8
Endurance: 8
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7
Skill: 7

Postby First Gen » Tue May 06, 2008 1:41 pm

Motto: "Til All Are One."
Weapon: Dual Laser Cannon
Prime Evil wrote:Still waiting for Pat Lee's apology...

lol, (insert Alex Milne joke here).
newsig by sserrano03, on Flickr

http://forallmankind.wordpress.com/

Follow me on Twitter, unlike most, I'm interesting :)

Http://twitter.com/stevenrocks5937
First Gen
Faction Commander
News Credits: 1014
Watch First Gen on YouTube
Buy from First Gen on eBay
Alt Mode: A Truck
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Skill: 10

Postby ghostscream127 » Tue May 06, 2008 5:16 pm

what errors did the book have
ghostscream127
Micromaster

Postby Autobot Snake Eyes » Tue May 06, 2008 5:47 pm

First Gen wrote:
Prime Evil wrote:Still waiting for Pat Lee's apology...

lol, (insert Alex Milne joke here).

LOL
Please check out my You Tube videos!
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=gojira12345678910
Please stay tuned for a upcoming stop motion I am making.

Max Payne was awesome! check it out!
Autobot Snake Eyes
Targetmaster

Postby Sunstar » Tue May 06, 2008 6:24 pm

Motto: "All hail Lord Starscream"
Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
A true man can admit that he made a mistake and appologied. Thanks CR. You're all good.
"We, Decepticons, are a swell bunch. And boy do we have fun." - Starscream
"You're one of...those, Never understood why any self respecting Decepticon would choose auto-mobile as his vehicle mode when he could have flight." - Starscream
"For a guy hearing voices of the dead, you've got a pretty insensitive view of Mental Health" - Bumblebee
Starscream's Shrine ~ Fan Art ~Collection~Sunstar's Discord - join today!
Sunstar
Gestalt
News Credits: 38
Alt Mode: Tetra Jet
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 9
Courage: 7
Skill: 9

Postby Blackstreak » Tue May 06, 2008 6:26 pm

Motto: ""I'm stronger than I look, but not as strong as I think I am.""
Weapon: Laser Rifle
ghostscream127 wrote:what errors did the book have

That was my first question...um, and only question. I can't say any errors jumped out at me because I was glued to the story. Perhaps I should go back and double check.

# of Transformers in collection: 332
Looking for 1985 Action Cards
Blackstreak
Godmaster
News Credits: 1
Watch Blackstreak on YouTube
Buy from Blackstreak on eBay
Alt Mode: Datsun 280 ZX or Dodge Viper
Strength: 5
Intelligence: 5
Speed: 9
Endurance: 7
Courage: 9
Firepower: 9
Skill: 8

Postby First Gen » Tue May 06, 2008 6:39 pm

Motto: "Til All Are One."
Weapon: Dual Laser Cannon
Blackstreak wrote:

That was my first question...um, and only question. I can't say any errors jumped out at me because I was glued to the story. Perhaps I should go back and double check.

I know of one sore thumb where the word bubble was on the wrong character. That one stuck out the most to me cuz I had to read it a couple times before I figured out is was an error.
newsig by sserrano03, on Flickr

http://forallmankind.wordpress.com/

Follow me on Twitter, unlike most, I'm interesting :)

Http://twitter.com/stevenrocks5937
First Gen
Faction Commander
News Credits: 1014
Watch First Gen on YouTube
Buy from First Gen on eBay
Alt Mode: A Truck
Speed: 6

Postby JustinRODimus » Tue May 06, 2008 6:45 pm

scans? i didn't get the book but hey, CR did a great thing. i just want to see the errors
JustinRODimus
Minibot

Postby Down_Shift » Tue May 06, 2008 6:48 pm

Motto: "Everyone has a bad hobby or a bad habit and I'd rather have a bad hobby over a bad habit."
Weapon: Rust Ray Gun
Human Error, plain and simple. All is forgiven. Those dudes all try really hard for the fans. Mistakes happen every minute of every day.

I for one am not upset or put off by it.

But then again, I stuck by DW.

TFcon Third Party Host
www.tfcon.ca
www.cybertron.ca - Canadian Transformers News First!

Blurrz wrote:Down_Shift is a god...
Down_Shift
Faction Commander
News Credits: 335
Strength: 7
Courage: 7
Firepower: 8
Skill: 6

Postby Ronynus Prime » Tue May 06, 2008 7:02 pm

Motto: ""Immortality shall come to such as are fit for it.""
Weapon: Ion Pulse Guns
I stuck by Dreamwave as well. I miss the coloring techniques used in their work that made Lee's work pop & gave Don's work even more life. Still, kudos to Chris for owning up to a mistake... again. Personally, it doesn't matter too much to me since I collect all the covers and the Trade Paperbacks; i read the issues once, then get the trades for continuous reading & references, plus the added develpoement sketches in the later pages of the print. The corrections are just an added bonus. IDW has yet to TRUELY let us down like Dreamwave did.
"Immortality shall come to such as are fit for it."
Ronynus Prime
Minibot
Watch Ronynus Prime on YouTube
Buy from Ronynus Prime on eBay
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10+
Speed: 5
Courage: 9
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

Postby Autobot032 » Tue May 06, 2008 7:05 pm

Weapon: Switch Blade Tail
I'm not a comic fan, nor do I read or buy them. That being said, even I must commend the guy for standing up and admitting to the mistakes and apologizing for it.

I also like that he didn't just take it on the chin and let the people walk all over him.

I like how he said they weren't excuses, but legitimate reasons. That's realistic and even more honest.

IDW is cool in my book, and I don't even read their's. :P
NOTE: Realize that I am not a perfect Christian, nor do I profess to be. I apologize if anyone's ever offended by me, I'm not perfect. Don't hold my posts and opinions against other Christians.
Autobot032
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 668
Buy from Autobot032 on eBay

Postby i_amtrunks » Tue May 06, 2008 7:08 pm

Blackstreak wrote:

Smaller gripes:
- Multiple colourists, so there are colouring inconsistencies
- Misplaced Speech Bubble

Large Gripe:
- Parts of pages in many issues cut off from printing error. No content is really cut out, but the page is on an angle, and it looks sloppy, again not really an IDW problem.
Awesomesauce; Use it, you know you want to.
i_amtrunks
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 972

Postby Covenant » Tue May 06, 2008 7:49 pm

Motto: "Just keep going.."
Weapon: Fusion Cannon
Another apology for another book'o'mistakes. Colorful band-aid on a self-inflicted gunshot.
Covenant
Combiner
Buy from Covenant on eBay
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 8
Firepower: 9

Postby Dr. Caelus » Tue May 06, 2008 8:12 pm

i_amtrunks wrote:Large Gripe:
- Parts of pages in many issues cut off from printing error. No content is really cut out, but the page is on an angle, and it looks sloppy, again not really an IDW problem

Ah, so it wasn't just mine.

Mine also had hideous streaking at the tops of some of the pages.
Check out my books, Titanomachies and Divine Retribution, on my blog!
Dr. Caelus
Faction Commander
News Credits: 6

Postby T-Macksimus » Tue May 06, 2008 9:55 pm

Mine only had 1 color streak and the obvious word bubble glitch. The color on a couple of pages was rather muted compared to the pages that followed it but it didn't jump out at me till I gave it a second read. The action was so intense throughout the whole book that it took my mind off nitpicking entirely except for the impossible to miss text buble screw-up. That I dismissed just because I know some independent comic writers/artists and know what they have to go through when they have a deadline to meet. A liquid diet of Mt.Dew and Starbucks with Dominoe's # at the top of the speed dial 'cause they can't take the time to cook. Still, very cool of Chris to make the formal apology. Can't say as I have seen any of the other companies go to that kind of effort.
And just like Prime Evil, I'm waiting for an apology from a past company that I know full well will never come. (even tho they got a ton of my money, it wasn't enough to keep 'em afloat. :P I had my own business once, s*** happens!)
"That which does not kill me...had better run pretty damn fast!"
T-Macksimus
Gestalt

Postby spiritofcat » Tue May 06, 2008 9:56 pm

The speech bubble error occurs in the fight between Grimlock and Scorponok. A part that is clearly said by Grimlock is in a bubble from Scorponok.
spiritofcat
Combiner

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #86 Cvr B Image Comics 2024 0224IM326 86B (CA) Adlard + McCaig"
NEW!
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "INVINCIBLE RED SONJA #6 Cvr I 1:25 Dynamite Comics 2021 AUG210868 6I (CA)Linsner"
INVINCIBLE RED SON ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "INVINCIBLE RED SONJA #9 Cvr Q FOC Dynamite Comics 2022 MAR229175 9Q (CA)Hetrick"
INVINCIBLE RED SON ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "INVINCIBLE RED SONJA #9 Cvr G 1:15 Dynamite Comics 2022 DEC210648 9G (CA) Conner"
INVINCIBLE RED SON ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "HOUSE OF SLAUGHTER #5 Cvr D 1:25 Boom Comics 2022 DEC210810 5D (CA) Dell'Edera"
HOUSE OF SLAUGHTER ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #84 Cvr C Image Comics 2024 0124IM333 84C (CA) Santolouco"
NEW!
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #67 Cvr D Image Comics 2023 MAY230298 67D (CA) Tedesco"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "INVINCIBLE RED SONJA #9 Cvr E Dynamite Comics 2022 DEC210646 9E (CA) Cosplay"
INVINCIBLE RED SON ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #63 Cvr D Image Comics 2023 MAR230209 63D (CA) Tedesco"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #47 Cvr D Image Comics 2022 JUL220272 47D (CA) Tedesco"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #85 Cvr C Image Comics 2024 0124IM336 85C (CA) Wu (W) Kirkman"
NEW!
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #66 Cvr B Image Comics 2023 MAY230292 66B (CA) Adlard + McCaig"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #32 Cvr C Image Comics 2022 DEC210345 32C (CA) Del Mundo"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WALKING DEAD DLX #51 Cvr B Image Comics 2022 SEP220088 51B (CA) Adlard"
WALKING DEAD DLX # ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Sludge" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Deluxe Misfire and Aimless" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Slug" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Masterpiece Movie Series Barricade MPM-5" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee Movie Toys, Power Charge Bumblebee Action Figure - Spinning Core, Lights and Sounds - Toys for Kids 6 and Up, 10.5-inch" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Attacker 15 Costanza Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Robots in Disguise Warrior Class Optimus Prime Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Leader Class Jetfire Figure(Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Robots in Disguise Combiner Force Team Combiner Menasor, 8.5-inch" on AMAZON