This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Transformers hits combined ticket/DVD sales of $1 billion!

Discuss anything and everything related to the Transformers Live Action Films franchise, which are directed by Michael Bay. Join us to discuss the movies and stuff up to date with news for the 2017 release of Transformers 5. Check out our Live Action Film section here.

Transformers hits combined ticket/DVD sales of $1 billion!

Postby GetterDragun » Sun May 11, 2008 10:42 pm

Last week, Transformers sold it's 13,901,422 DVD, bringing total DVD sales to $315,650,110. This combined with ticket sales brings Transformers to over $1 Billion dollars. I think we can all agree that Transformers is one of the top properties of all time, now bring on TF2!

Source: BoxOfficeMojo.com

Check out my collection thread!
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38984
Toyota FT-86 Discussion
GetterDragun
City Commander
News Credits: 150

Re: Transformers hits combined ticket/DVD sales of $1 billion!

Postby Solrac333 » Mon May 12, 2008 12:03 pm

Sweet! Ok, how many people bought multiple dvds? :APPLAUSE:
Bah weep granah weep nini bon!
Solrac333
Gestalt
News Credits: 1
Watch Solrac333 on YouTube
Buy from Solrac333 on eBay
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: Infinity
Speed: 10+
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10+
Firepower: 10+
Skill: 10+

Postby Bumblebeast » Mon May 12, 2008 12:20 pm

Well, it can't be that bad. This should give the critics something to think about.

At least the fans responded.

Let's not even think about the toy sales ! :APPLAUSE:
Bad-ass Prime wants YOUR face !!!
Bumblebeast
Vehicon

Postby NuclearConvoy » Mon May 12, 2008 12:27 pm

I only bought 1DVD.
NuclearConvoy
Godmaster
News Credits: 8

Postby Zeds » Mon May 12, 2008 12:32 pm

Motto: "I once lost a battle. So long ago I can barely remember it."
Weapon: Thermal Melters
I bought multiple DVDs given all the bonuses being offered here, there and everywhere. Also saw the movie more than a few times. I helped out with about $200 of the $1B or 0.00002%! :APPLAUSE:

Every little bit counts!
BWOP: "Die-cast construction...It's a lost art!"

Longs for the days of G1 where we only had to worry about Megatron, Soundwave and Laserbeak wanting to be Autobots, Swoop calling himself Tracks and Slingshot calling himself Slingslot!
Zeds
Gestalt
News Credits: 9
Buy from Zeds on eBay
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 4
Endurance: 8
Courage: 10
Firepower: 6
Skill: 7

Postby Energon » Mon May 12, 2008 1:56 pm

I am not surprised at the impressive numbers. I had seen TF at the box office a bunch of times, bought a HD player to play the TF HDDVD, got a second copy to play on my regular dvd player and now will have to get a blue ray player for the next movie. They are definately making money off of me.
Now if only we could get some decent toys with handsome robot faces to go with the next movie.....
Energon
Targetmaster
News Credits: 23

Postby Buttz » Mon May 12, 2008 2:59 pm

All the money in the world won't change the fact that this movie was utter crap. All the credit goes to the special effects people. The acting, writing, and especially the directing, were all utterly sub-par.
Buttz
Micromaster

Postby Zeds » Mon May 12, 2008 4:44 pm

Motto: "I once lost a battle. So long ago I can barely remember it."
Weapon: Thermal Melters
Buttz wrote:All the money in the world won't change the fact that this movie was utter crap. All the credit goes to the special effects people. The acting, writing, and especially the directing, were all utterly sub-par.

Dude harsh. It had its failings but compared to Spiderman 3 the TFM was comparable to Gone With the Wind. Its all about the perspective you spin I guess.
BWOP: "Die-cast construction...It's a lost art!"

Longs for the days of G1 where we only had to worry about Megatron, Soundwave and Laserbeak wanting to be Autobots, Swoop calling himself Tracks and Slingshot calling himself Slingslot!
Zeds
Gestalt
News Credits: 9
Buy from Zeds on eBay
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Endurance: 8
Courage: 10
Firepower: 6
Skill: 7

Postby autobot commander » Mon May 12, 2008 4:54 pm

Buttz wrote:All the money in the world won't change the fact that this movie was utter crap. All the credit goes to the special effects people. The acting, writing, and especially the directing, were all utterly sub-par.

also keep in mind that this is your opinion. and that the tfm didn't suck but it didn't rock ether
autobot commander
Transmetal Warrior

Postby ***Galvatron*** » Mon May 12, 2008 4:57 pm

The movie was not perfect by any stretch but it was certainly a good start to this version of the franchise, I'd rather have this than an uber G1 hardcore version that would only appeal to that limited crowd, the movie would probably have bombed then.

This is one movie I've seen overly nit picked to death by a bunch of rabid fan boys acting like vultures ripping this movie to shreds over every little detail, what next ? will people start whining about how the dirt was laid out on optimus's windshield in the cgi shots ?
***Galvatron*** wrote:Fox Mulder ? ummm, your meds must be lapsing! :P

:mrgreen:

moldavite wrote:Nope, I'm not on any medication. I don't smoke. I don't do drugs. I have a margarita about once every four months. I'm as sober as they come. I'm NOT joking! What I tell you is the truth. Mulder and Scully will be in TF2! Just wait and you'll see....
***Galvatron***
Pretender

Postby Autobot032 » Mon May 12, 2008 5:19 pm

Weapon: Switch Blade Tail
A billion? Wow.

Well, I'd say we should have a better sequel then. With that kind of dough coming in, they could easily bankrole a better production with more TF screen time.
NOTE: Realize that I am not a perfect Christian, nor do I profess to be. I apologize if anyone's ever offended by me, I'm not perfect. Don't hold my posts and opinions against other Christians.
Autobot032
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 668
Buy from Autobot032 on eBay

Postby Heavy B » Mon May 12, 2008 5:27 pm

Motto: "The best weapon isn't one you never have to fire, It's the one you only have to fire once."
Weapon: Gattling Gun
omega666 wrote:Sweet! Ok, how many people bought multiple dvds? :APPLAUSE:

right here baby. the target transforming case, and the wal mart 2 disc special
Psycho Warrior wrote: Heavy B, the man who can open armor plating with his bare ass. To fight a bear no less.
Heavy B
Gestalt
Location: Anywhere I roam, Where I lay my head is home. Carved upon my stone, My body lie, but still I roam.
Strength: 10+
Intelligence: 5
Endurance: 10
Courage: Infinity
Firepower: 9
Skill: 5

Postby NuclearConvoy » Mon May 12, 2008 5:27 pm

Autobot032 wrote:A billion? Wow.

Well, I'd say we should have a better sequel then. With that kind of dough coming in, they could easily bankrole a better production with more TF screen time.

Make it 4 hours long, like the LotR extended editions!
NuclearConvoy
Godmaster

Postby Autobot032 » Mon May 12, 2008 5:43 pm

NuclearConvoy wrote:
Autobot032 wrote:A billion? Wow.

Make it 4 hours long, like the LotR extended editions!

I'd pull my face off with my own two hands long around the three hour mark. I love TransFormers, I love movies, I love the two combined, but I can't take that for three plus hours. Oh no.
NOTE: Realize that I am not a perfect Christian, nor do I profess to be. I apologize if anyone's ever offended by me, I'm not perfect. Don't hold my posts and opinions against other Christians.
Autobot032
Matrix Keeper

Postby Me, Grimlock! » Mon May 12, 2008 5:44 pm

Weapon: Stinger Missile
How do they count precisely how many DVDs were sold?
Me, Grimlock!
Godmaster
Firepower: 1

Postby Rampage01 » Mon May 12, 2008 6:04 pm

NuclearConvoy wrote:Make it 4 hours long, like the LotR extended editions!

To quote Optimus Primal, "By Primus! NOOOOOOOOOOO!" :shock:

The regular LOTR movies are too long as it is, much less the extended length versions. 4 hours way too long for any movie, TFs or otherwise.
Rampage01
Minibot

Postby NuclearConvoy » Mon May 12, 2008 6:52 pm

Rampage01 wrote:

The regular LOTR movies are too long as it is, much less the extended length versions. 4 hours way too long for any movie, TFs or otherwise.

Further proof that the average adult attention span is too short.
I've seen the extended LotR and didn't mind it at all.
NuclearConvoy
Godmaster

Postby ***Galvatron*** » Mon May 12, 2008 7:17 pm

NuclearConvoy wrote:
Rampage01 wrote:

Has anyone watched all three extended versions back to back ? I have and it was really intense.

moldavite wrote:Nope, I'm not on any medication. I don't smoke. I don't do drugs. I have a margarita about once every four months. I'm as sober as they come. I'm NOT joking! What I tell you is the truth. Mulder and Scully will be in TF2! Just wait and you'll see....
***Galvatron***
Pretender

Postby dragons » Mon May 12, 2008 8:03 pm

i bought every version of the dvds and i cant believe im saying this i also bought the walmaert exclusive dvd package every version except for the hd dvd version im waiting for the blueray edition if there is one
dragons
Gestalt
News Credits: 21

Postby Rampage01 » Mon May 12, 2008 8:35 pm

NuclearConvoy wrote:
Rampage01 wrote:

This is where you and I are going to have to agree to disagree.

There are things that I'm quite willing to sit down and do for several hours straight, but watching a movie isn't one of them.
Rampage01
Minibot

Postby Buttz » Mon May 12, 2008 10:53 pm

***Galvatron*** wrote:The movie was not perfect by any stretch but it was certainly a good start to this version of the franchise, I'd rather have this than an uber G1 hardcore version that would only appeal to that limited crowd, the movie would probably have bombed then.

This is one movie I've seen overly nit picked to death by a bunch of rabid fan boys acting like vultures ripping this movie to shreds over every little detail, what next ? will people start whining about how the dirt was laid out on optimus's windshield in the cgi shots ?

The thing is that it didn't have to be that, nor did it have to be the turdfest it turned out to be. Take Iron Man for example. It has a broad appeal because it's a well-made and entertaining movie.
Why? Because it was made by a competent director who understands and loves movies, rather than some egomaniacal buffon who loves himself more than anything in the world, except for maybe possibly money. Whenever I fast-forward through the DVD(I got it as a gift, I'm never spending another cent on anything Michael Bay-related)and I accidentally land on the wrong scene, I have no idea if the effects shot I'm looking for is before or after, because the "plot" is just indistinguishable filler and I can't tell one scene apart from the next.

I forgot what I was talking about. Anyway this movie was crap. It could've elevated Transformers to something more than cartoons and toys, but instead it was just another bloated and forgettable piece of Michael Bay garbage.
Buttz
Micromaster

Postby T-Macksimus » Tue May 13, 2008 12:39 am

The only thing I have to say (although I'm dying to say plenty) to the fans who have nothing but rude or disparaging remarks about the movie, beside "Pull the stick out!" is that whether you liked the movie or not, they still got your money, you still helped get it to the 1 Billion mark. So, as much as it may piss some people off, on behalf of the rest of us who are glad to see it hit that mark I respectfully say "Thanks for your contribution" :P

And yeah, I have my own copy (The Target exclusive) and my kids have their own copy (Wal-Mart Exclusive) on top of my seeing it multiple times in the theatre including once at the IMAX theater. I'm VERY happy to have made my contribution.
"That which does not kill me...had better run pretty damn fast!"
T-Macksimus
Gestalt

Postby NuclearConvoy » Tue May 13, 2008 2:34 am

T-Macksimus wrote:The only thing I have to say (although I'm dying to say plenty) to the fans who have nothing but rude or disparaging remarks about the movie, beside "Pull the stick out!" is that whether you liked the movie or not, they still got your money, you still helped get it to the 1 Billion mark. So, as much as it may piss some people off, on behalf of the rest of us who are glad to see it hit that mark I respectfully say "Thanks for your contribution" :P

And yeah, I have my own copy (The Target exclusive) and my kids have their own copy (Wal-Mart Exclusive) on top of my seeing it multiple times in the theatre including once at the IMAX theater. I'm VERY happy to have made my contribution.

I wanted to see it in IMAX.
Were there really added bits to the Jazz/Megatron fight?
NuclearConvoy
Godmaster

Postby ***Galvatron*** » Tue May 13, 2008 6:05 am

Buttz wrote:
***Galvatron*** wrote:The movie was not perfect by any stretch but it was certainly a good start to this version of the franchise, I'd rather have this than an uber G1 hardcore version that would only appeal to that limited crowd, the movie would probably have bombed then.

The thing is that it didn't have to be that, nor did it have to be the turdfest it turned out to be. Take Iron Man for example. It has a broad appeal because it's a well-made and entertaining movie.
Why? Because it was made by a competent director who understands and loves movies, rather than some egomaniacal buffon who loves himself more than anything in the world, except for maybe possibly money. Whenever I fast-forward through the DVD(I got it as a gift, I'm never spending another cent on anything Michael Bay-related)and I accidentally land on the wrong scene, I have no idea if the effects shot I'm looking for is before or after, because the "plot" is just indistinguishable filler and I can't tell one scene apart from the next.

I forgot what I was talking about. Anyway this movie was crap. It could've elevated Transformers to something more than cartoons and toys, but instead it was just another bloated and forgettable piece of Michael Bay garbage.

As I stated already it was not perfect but I thought it was a good enough start and hopefully they will make things better in the next movies otherwise then people will start losing faith but it was certainly not a turd fest as you describe it.

As far as broad appeal ? Over 700 million dollars worldwide in box office sales alone sounds like wide stream appeal to me and the countless stories of completely NON transformers fans let alone Sci Fi fans including a lot of my family members went to see it multiple times which is exactly why Bay and his crews did some of the changes they did otherwise it would have been nothing but two and a half hours of uber hardcore G1 fan wank and more than likely would have been a big flop at the box office.
Last edited by ***Galvatron*** on Wed May 14, 2008 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

***Galvatron***
Pretender

Postby Autobot032 » Tue May 13, 2008 9:53 am

NuclearConvoy wrote:
T-Macksimus wrote:The only thing I have to say (although I'm dying to say plenty) to the fans who have nothing but rude or disparaging remarks about the movie, beside "Pull the stick out!" is that whether you liked the movie or not, they still got your money, you still helped get it to the 1 Billion mark. So, as much as it may piss some people off, on behalf of the rest of us who are glad to see it hit that mark I respectfully say "Thanks for your contribution" :P

I wanted to see it in IMAX.
Were there really added bits to the Jazz/Megatron fight?

From what I was told directly, and heard from others, was that nothing was added to the scenes with robots, but more human interaction scenes had been added. A good 4-5 minutes worth.

To know which ones were reintegrated, you'd need to read the leaked treatment from 2006. It has all of the scenes in it and you could see which ones were cut from normal release.

Such as:

- Sam's father picking him up from Jail and Sam asking him if he was crazy like his grandfather.

- Epps and Lennox going into a pawn shop to get the walkie talkies that you see them call the airstrike with, just before Blackout is blown apart. While in the pawn shop, the owner tries to make her move on Epps. (or is it Lennox?) (supposed to be a really funny scene.)

And there's a few others.
Autobot032
Matrix Keeper

Next

Return to Transformers Live Action Film Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MAKEOVER N OVER Transformers BotBots Series 3 Swag Stylers 2019"
MAKEOVER N OVER Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SUGAR BREATH Transformers BotBots Series 3 Season Greeters candy corn 2019"
SUGAR BREATH Trans ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Series 4 DROPKICK Transformers Tiny Turbo Changers Movie Edition 2018 Hasbro New"
Series 4 DROPKICK ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GOOGLY SPY P.I. Transformers BotBots Series 4 Wilderness Troop 2020 binoculars"
GOOGLY SPY P.I. Tr ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "CHEERO Transformers BotBots Series 5 Los Deliciosos churros 2020"
CHEERO Transformer ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "HOLEY MOLDY Transformers BotBots Series 2 Spoiled Rottens 2019 cheese Hasbro"
HOLEY MOLDY Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BIG BOTTI Transformers BotBots Series 2 Jock Squad 2019 baseball bat"
BIG BOTTI Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "LAZERBOLT Transformers Kre-o Micro-Changers Combiner Hasbro 2014 New"
LAZERBOLT Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SLIMEY SLURPS Transformers BotBots Series 3 Spoiled Rottens Hasbro 2019 Slushy"
SLIMEY SLURPS Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SCRIBZILLA Transformers BotBots Con Crew Meet N Greets kaiju-cosplaying marker"
SCRIBZILLA Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "GRIMLOCK Transformers Kre-o Battle Changer Building Toy Hasbro 2014 New"
GRIMLOCK Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "DR FRAUD Transformers BotBots Series 5 Science Alliance chemical flask 2020"
DR FRAUD Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "STEVE FROM ACCOUNTING Transformers BotBots Series 2 Backpack Bunch 2019 stapler"
STEVE FROM ACCOUNT ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "THE COBBLER Transformers BotBots Series 4 Los Deliciosos Hasbro 2020 corn on cob"
THE COBBLER Transf ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers Toys Optimus Prime Cyberverse Ultimate Class Action Figure - Repeatable Matrix Mega Shot Action Attack Move - Toys for Kids 6 & Up, 11.5"" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Exclusive Cyber Battalion Class Shockwave Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Grimlock Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Elita-1" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Rippersnapper" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 12 Voyager Class Movie 1 Decepticon Brawl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Titans Return Repugnus, Dastard, and Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Terri-Bull" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Autobot Blaster and Twin Cast (Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: The Last Knight Premier Edition Deluxe Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Autobot Twinferno and Daburu" on AMAZON