This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

IDW's G.I.Joe Comics Press Release

Discuss anything about the Transformers cartoons and comics! You can discuss anything from G1 to Cybertron as well as the comics from Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW and more!

IDW's G.I.Joe Comics Press Release

Postby Seibertron » Thu May 29, 2008 9:27 am

Motto: "'Til All Are One!"
Weapon: Twin Shock-Concussion Missiles
I thought this press release that I just received from IDW might be of interest to many of you. It's great to see that our friends at IDW will get to expand their relationship with Hasbro via the G.I.Joe property. Congratulations to IDW!!!

HASBRO, INC. reaches agreement with IDW Publishing to launch new G.I. JOE Comics

Deal includes various New mini series and reprints of fan-favorite storylines

PAWTUCKET, R.I. (May 29, 2008) – Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE:HAS) has reached an agreement with IDW Publishing, creators of the best-selling TRANSFORMERS comic book series, to launch an all-new line of G.I. JOE vs. COBRA comic books. As part of the agreement, IDW will produce a new monthly comic series, as well as deluxe reprints of the G.I. JOE property’s vast comic library, which helped catapult the G.I. JOE vs. COBRA phenomenon more than 25 years ago. IDW also has the rights for trade paperbacks and graphic novels.

The first products from this deal, a new monthly comic book series based on classic G.I. JOE vs. COBRA lore, will be launched with an introductory debut issue in October 2008. Featuring all-new storylines, the comics will portray the epic struggle of the G.I. JOE team against the evil forces of COBRA, while highlighting the brand’s favorite heroes and villains that made kids of the ‘80s today’s fans.

In 2009, IDW will also produce comic series both inspired by and based on the upcoming G.I. JOE live-action major motion picture from Paramount Pictures and Hasbro slated for August 7, 2009, as well as deluxe reprints from the vast G.I. JOE vs. COBRA comic history. The planned IDW comic book projects will be distributed to a wide audience through comic book outlets, trade bookstores and mass retailers.

“We are thrilled at the prospect of expanding our relationship with IDW. They’ve done an outstanding job with Transformers in the comic/hobby segment, national bookstores and mass market chains,” said Matt Gildea, Publishing Director, Hasbro. “IDW would bring that same expertise to the G.I. JOE brand in both new content and the existing G.I. JOE vs. COBRA library. Together, Hasbro and IDW would continue to engage G.I. JOE fans of all ages with amazing graphics and storylines.”

“G.I. JOE will be a perfect extension of the partnership we’ve developed with Hasbro over the past three years,” said Ted Adams, IDW’s President. “We are ecstatic about the opportunity to build upon the great history of the G.I. JOE brand and to present the type of entertainment and storytelling that our readers enjoy from our many licensed properties.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------

About Hasbro

Hasbro (NYSE:HAS) is a worldwide leader in children's and family leisure time entertainment products and services, including the design, manufacture and marketing of games and toys ranging from traditional to high-tech. Both internationally and in the U.S., its PLAYSKOOL, TONKA, MILTON BRADLEY, PARKER BROTHERS, TIGER, CRANIUM and WIZARDS OF THE COAST brands and products provide the highest quality and most recognizable play experiences in the world.

ABOUT IDW PUBLISHING

IDW is an award-winning publisher of comic books, graphic novels and trade paperbacks, based in San Diego, California. As a leader in the horror, action, and sci-fi genres, IDW publishes some of the most successful and popular titles in the industry including: Hasbro’s The Transformers, television's #1 prime time series CBS’ CSI: Crime Scene Investigation; Paramount's Star Trek; Fox's Angel; Hasbro's The Transformers, and the BBC's Doctor Who. IDW’s original horror series, 30 Days of Night, was launched as a major motion picture in October 2007 by Sony Pictures and was the #1 film in its first week of release. In April 2008, IDW released Michael Recycle, the first title from its new children’s book imprint, Worthwhile Books. More information about the company can be found at http://www.idwpublishing.com.
Seibertron
Site Owner
News Credits: 3554
Watch Seibertron on YouTube
Buy from Seibertron on eBay
Alt Mode: Supersonic Cybertronian Jet
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 7
Endurance: 9
Courage: 8
Firepower: 5
Skill: 10+

Re: IDW's G.I.Joe Comics Press Release

Postby Prime Evil » Thu May 29, 2008 9:41 am

Motto: "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"
Weapon: Dark Saber Sword
Wait? Did Devil's Due lose the license? Really? Hmmm, this could be good, could be bad. My cross over sense is tingling...
facebook
PSN:Kalibr3Fyre
Transfandom's resident Junglist
Botcon Twitter re: Botcon 2012, "This set is not TFA" :D

Fans Project- Highly Recommend any and all products
Hasbro- Need more Generations toys peas
HeadRobots- Awesome, looking fwd to more good products
Perfect Effect- OK, looking fwd to more lil bots.
Prime Evil
Godmaster
News Credits: 23
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 8
Endurance: 8
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7
Skill: 7

Postby First Gen » Thu May 29, 2008 9:51 am

Motto: "Til All Are One."
Weapon: Dual Laser Cannon
OH WOW!!!! The RETURN OF THE TRANSFORMERS/GI JOE Crossover!!!

Flippin' sweet.
newsig by sserrano03, on Flickr

http://forallmankind.wordpress.com/

Follow me on Twitter, unlike most, I'm interesting :)

Http://twitter.com/stevenrocks5937
First Gen
Faction Commander
News Credits: 1014
Watch First Gen on YouTube
Buy from First Gen on eBay
Alt Mode: A Truck
Strength: 8
Speed: 6
Endurance: 8
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7
Skill: 10

Postby Tigertrack » Thu May 29, 2008 9:53 am

Motto: "A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
yeah, we had reported a few months back that DD was not getting the license renewal.

Too bad really, because DD was doing a great job.

I need reprints of the later marvel comics run :!: !
Tigertrack
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 1082
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Endurance: 7
Courage: 9
Firepower: 8

Postby NuclearConvoy » Thu May 29, 2008 10:19 am

Fugging nutterbuckets....
The main reason I was avoiding GI Joe comics was cuz there was so much pre-established story in the DD run, now with an IDWverse GIJoe...I might have to cave.
I'm gonna say it depends entirely on their art team. I've been getting annoyed by the art on the Angel books not being "fine" enough. Too much thick lines and loss of detail.
NuclearConvoy
Godmaster
News Credits: 8

Postby skyshadowprimus » Thu May 29, 2008 10:33 am

NuclearConvoy wrote:Fugging nutterbuckets....
The main reason I was avoiding GI Joe comics was cuz there was so much pre-established story in the DD run, now with an IDWverse GIJoe...I might have to cave.
I'm gonna say it depends entirely on their art team. I've been getting annoyed by the art on the Angel books not being "fine" enough. Too much thick lines and loss of detail.

Hmm thats exactly the same reason why I'm a little dubious. In a bizare twist I only found out yesterday that DD were not getting the license renewal and this was reported way back in Jan (bad of me for working too hard at the time)

The one thing I always loved G.I.Joe for over Transformers since the whole retro craze of 2000 was that there story was a nice seamless story from 1982 up until present day and gave the chance for character development and a rich backstory, where as Transformers it seems gets rebooted every couple of years and the majority of the stories are left hanging and never picked up like G2 Liege Maximo, TF Wreckers, TF Universe, Primeval Dawn, TF Energon etc

I really hate having to start a comic from scratch again, I know IDW proved me wrong and showed what a cool universe they have created with Transformers, but I'm impatient to wait for such things.

However to give a balanced view, in the past year or so, the new style of art on G.I.Joe has been shockingly shite with no inkers and what looks like handpainted pages...nice for covers but not so good for interiors. The other advantage to a reboot is the return of characters who have been killed off such as Dr Mindbender and Lady Jaye. I only hope we don't get a rehash of Serpentor, and if we do at least give us what they have done with Galvatron, something new and original.

Hmm, maybe I'll be lucky enough to see Dr Syndey Biggles Jones grace comic books with her presence again.

I'll remain cynical but hopefull and wait and see how DD finish their comic run of G.I.Joe. In all fairness to them tho, their comic was the 1st to start the retro craze way back in Sep 2001 and has faired the best out of all them by lasting 7 years and 80 odd issues.
skyshadowprimus
Fuzor

Postby rpetras » Thu May 29, 2008 11:33 am

Motto: "Know your enemy, then crush them."
Weapon: Gatling Cannon
I'm up for a reboot.

I like what the IDW guys did with TF, though following their storyline can be a pain (Oh wait, I have to refer to the spotlight on who now to know what's going on?!?!?) but all in all I like the world they created.

I really dug DD's GI Joe Reloaded line. Digging into the motivations for Cobra Commander was really cool. In a lot of ways that mirrored Megatron: Origins. Both great stories!

I'm looking forward to it.
For Sale:
Classics Magnus/Skywarp 2 pack MIB
Classics Devastator MIP
HA Sideswipe K-Mart exclusive color Loose

Currently looking for:
ROTF Target exclusive Sideswipe from the 2-pack
TFCC Punch/Counterpunch
Alternity Primes, silver & white versions
(opened is OK, to be used for customs)

PM If interested
rpetras
City Commander
News Credits: 1
Strength: 9
Speed: 4
Endurance: 7
Courage: 7
Firepower: 8

Postby ponycorn » Thu May 29, 2008 11:36 am

Sweet protoform Primus! Consider my day officially made! :grin:

My two main comics united under one publisher! The return of the quality (and probably canon) crossover is upon us! Could toys be in the mix also? =P~

The DDP crossovers were great for the GIJoe side, but the TF side really suffered. Even the wonderfully executed old DW WWII story was just like, an alternate universe "what if" tale.

I was really wondering what would happen at the end of the G.I.Joe World War 3 maxi series. Cobra Commander was getting crazier than Galvatron.

What will we do if IDW ever goes away? I feel like my mom does when me and my only brother drive in the same car together. Both my eggs are in the same basket now. I know though, that they couldn't be in better hands. Take care of them IDW!
In a place such as this, you are the perfect prey for a brest animal!
ponycorn
Gestalt Team Leader

Postby Windsweeper » Thu May 29, 2008 12:54 pm

"The one thing I always loved G.I.Joe for over Transformers since the whole retro craze of 2000 was that there story was a nice seamless story from 1982 up until present day and gave the chance for character development and a rich backstory, where as Transformers it seems gets rebooted every couple of years and the majority of the stories are left hanging and never picked up like G2 Liege Maximo, TF Wreckers, TF Universe, Primeval Dawn, TF Energon etc"

I hear ya, buddy!

Even after 2 years, I'm still warming to IDW's Transformers. I loved Marvel and Dreamwave's Transformers and DD's GI Joe comics. I'm not too enthusiastic about this news. I want to be but Trnsformers has really made me fed up of reboots.

Still just have to wait and see.
Windsweeper
Godmaster

Postby flashmech » Thu May 29, 2008 2:16 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing what will happen here. If there are any crossover stories , at least it will be possible for them to be in the continuity of both Transformers and G.I. Joe, as opposed to when they had to develop their own continuity because both titles were published by different companies.
flashmech
Micromaster

Postby grimlockprime108 » Thu May 29, 2008 5:32 pm

ponycorn wrote:Sweet protoform Primus! Consider my day officially made! :grin:

My two main comics united under one publisher! The return of the quality (and probably canon) crossover is upon us! Could toys be in the mix also? =P~

The DDP crossovers were great for the GIJoe side, but the TF side really suffered. Even the wonderfully executed old DW WWII story was just like, an alternate universe "what if" tale.

I was really wondering what would happen at the end of the G.I.Joe World War 3 maxi series. Cobra Commander was getting crazier than Galvatron.

What will we do if IDW ever goes away? I feel like my mom does when me and my only brother drive in the same car together. Both my eggs are in the same basket now. I know though, that they couldn't be in better hands. Take care of them IDW!
yeah except for the bait and switch dreamwave did with the art direction for tf/gijoe.i was psyched to read it when i thought don figueroa was doing the whole thing as opposed to just the designs that were shown initially in toyfare.(i liked the story,liked the line art from jae lee,hated the shadows over practically every character done by the colorist,b&w digest is much easier on the eyes)i realize it didn't need to 80's colorful,but a warmer palette would have improved the art immensely
Follow me on Twitter for Amazon giveaways and updates on my latest customs.
http://grimlockprime108.tumblr.com/
grimlockprime108
Godmaster
News Credits: 2
Buy from grimlockprime108 on eBay

Postby AbsumZer0 » Thu May 29, 2008 9:50 pm

As foreseeable as it was, I'm disappointed by this. I've had a subscription for the Transformers comics and G.I. Joe comics set-up at my local comic shop since they first started with Dreamwave and Devil's Due, and while I've continued to enjoy the G.I. Joe comic I've been considering dropping the Transformers comics for almost a year now. They just never seem to go anywhere. It's one anti-climactic story arc after another foreshadowing the next anti-climactic story arc. Pat Lee's BS aside, at least the Dreamwave run seemed to be going somewhere. Whereas the G.I. Joe comic has seen the return of Serpentor, a Cobra Civil War, and Cobra's conquest of the U.S. among other plots and dozens of sub-plots and twists, it seems like nothing really happens in IDW's Transformers other than chases and new character appearances.
AbsumZer0
Headmaster Jr

Postby NuclearConvoy » Thu May 29, 2008 10:38 pm

AbsumZer0 wrote:As foreseeable as it was, I'm disappointed by this. I've had a subscription for the Transformers comics and G.I. Joe comics set-up at my local comic shop since they first started with Dreamwave and Devil's Due, and while I've continued to enjoy the G.I. Joe comic I've been considering dropping the Transformers comics for almost a year now. They just never seem to go anywhere. It's one anti-climactic story arc after another foreshadowing the next anti-climactic story arc. Pat Lee's BS aside, at least the Dreamwave run seemed to be going somewhere. Whereas the G.I. Joe comic has seen the return of Serpentor, a Cobra Civil War, and Cobra's conquest of the U.S. among other plots and dozens of sub-plots and twists, it seems like nothing really happens in IDW's Transformers other than chases and new character appearances.

To be fair, Devil's Due's GIJoe was a continuation of the marvel continuity, which let it do more and do it quicker. TF was forced to reboot twice (DW and IDW).
NuclearConvoy
Godmaster
News Credits: 8

Postby Magnus' Mate » Fri May 30, 2008 5:50 am

As some one who only ever read G.I Joe (Or Action Force to a number of us!) via the back-up strip in Marvel UK's Transformers comic, I'm hoping for some nice, chronological trade paperbacks of the ol' Marvel series please!
Magnus' Mate
Micromaster

Return to Transformers Cartoons and Comics Forum

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Warrior Class ENERGON AXE ATTACK OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Cyberverse 2018 New"
Warrior Class ENER ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "UNICRON Transformers Cybertron deluxe complete + dgt3 key Hasbro 2006 231101A"
UNICRON Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSFORMERS ARMADA #1 FCBD Dreamwave Comics 2003 Free Comic Book Day (CA) Raiz"
TRANSFORMERS ARMAD ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "JETFIRE Transformers Cybertron Burger King Fast Food Premium 2005 230719A"
JETFIRE Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SCATTORSHOT Transformers Cybertron Scout complete w/ Cyber Key s67k 2005 231102A"
SCATTORSHOT Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SMOKESCREEN Transformers Armada McDonald's Happy Meal Premium 2002 220114A"
SMOKESCREEN Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Transformers ARMADA #1 Dreamwave Comics DW 2002 (W) Sarracini (A/CA) Raiz"
Transformers ARMAD ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BONECRUSHER Transformers Energon Class complete Hasbro 2005 230802A"
BONECRUSHER Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SKILLZ PUNK Transformers BotBots Series 1 Techie Team 2018 Hasbro Game Cartridge"
SKILLZ PUNK Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "ENERGON SABER Transformers Energon Class complete + more 2004 230427B **AS-IS**"
ENERGON SABER Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TIDAL WAVE + Mini-Con RAMJET Transformers Armada Giga-Con complete 2003 231102A"
TIDAL WAVE + Mini- ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Armada McDonald's Happy Meal Fast Food 2002 230719A"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SUPER X-BRAWN Transformers RID Robots In Disguise complete 2001 230830A"
SUPER X-BRAWN Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "Dinobot GRIMLOCK Transformers Armada RID Dinobots complete + more 211023A"
Dinobot GRIMLOCK T ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Roadtrap" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Exclusive Cyber Battalion Class Shockwave Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Rodimus Unicronus" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Voyager Class Grimlock" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Snarl" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Novastar" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Leader Evolution Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Roadburn" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Movie Anniversary Edition Optimus Prime (Amazon Exclusive)" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee – Energon Igniters Power Plus Series Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Platinum Edition Predaking Figure [Amazon Exclusive](Discontinued by manufacturer)" on AMAZON