This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

AFA will now grade an open G1 Megatron Box with cut tape!

Feel free to discuss anything about any of the thousands of Transformer toys here. Anything from Generation 1 all the way to the soon to be released, the never to be released or the hope to be released is fair game! Want to show off your stuff? Please post your's and see others in the Transformers Collections Forum.

AFA will now grade an open G1 Megatron Box with cut tape!

Postby Zeds » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:23 pm

Motto: "I once lost a battle. So long ago I can barely remember it."
Weapon: Thermal Melters
AFA would like to announce our new 'AFA Qualified' grading scale for which we are now accepting submissions. Items including, but not limited to, opened box vehicles, playsets, and Transformers as well as certain hand-made pre-production items will now be eligible for grading under the new 'AFA Qualified' grading scale. Each 'AFA Qualified' item will be cased with a blue (rather than red) label and will be accompanied by a document with detailed information about the item and contents. In order to be eligible for 'AFA Qualified' grading, a boxed toy must contain new, complete, and unused contents and must not have a sealed blister which has been opened. (For example, a Transformers Megatron with cut tape would be eligible, but a Transformers Grimlock with an opened blister would not be. A Star Wars Landspeeder with cut tape would be eligible, but a Star Wars Sy Snootles Band with an opened blister would not be.) More details about this scale will be available on our website later this month, but feel free to contact us in the meantime with any questions. For a limited time, the AFA Qualified scale will be priced identically to our Sealed scale. Please reference our custom-size tier pricing to calculate grading fees.

This is in my opinion a reaction to the grading by the CSG grading company that have graded similar figures with cut tape from the start.
BWOP: "Die-cast construction...It's a lost art!"

Longs for the days of G1 where we only had to worry about Megatron, Soundwave and Laserbeak wanting to be Autobots, Swoop calling himself Tracks and Slingshot calling himself Slingslot!
Zeds
Gestalt
News Credits: 9
Buy from Zeds on eBay
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 4
Endurance: 8
Courage: 10
Firepower: 6
Skill: 7

Re: AFA will now grade an open G1 Megatron Box with cut tape!

Postby Down_Shift » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:37 pm

Motto: "Everyone has a bad hobby or a bad habit and I'd rather have a bad hobby over a bad habit."
Weapon: Rust Ray Gun
FP & C!

Thanks for the heads up bro. I'm sure this makes it a lot easier on most die hard collectors.

TFcon Third Party Host
www.tfcon.ca
www.cybertron.ca - Canadian Transformers News First!

Blurrz wrote:Down_Shift is a god...
Down_Shift
Faction Commander
News Credits: 335
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Courage: 7
Firepower: 8
Skill: 6

Postby i_amtrunks » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:47 pm

So they are expanding what they will grade so as to maximise on profits?
Awesomesauce; Use it, you know you want to.
i_amtrunks
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 972

Postby Zeds » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:47 pm

Down_Shift wrote:FP & C!

Thanks for the heads up bro. I'm sure this makes it a lot easier on most die hard collectors.

Indeed! Guess what somebody's going to be sent in for grading :grin: Cheers buddy and thanks!

Longs for the days of G1 where we only had to worry about Megatron, Soundwave and Laserbeak wanting to be Autobots, Swoop calling himself Tracks and Slingshot calling himself Slingslot!
Zeds
Gestalt
Buy from Zeds on eBay

Postby Zeds » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:49 pm

i_amtrunks wrote:So they are expanding what they will grade so as to maximise on profits?

I would say to stay competitive with the CSG (AFA's competition) company's grading options who have graded similar items without any problem:

http://www.collectorsourcegrading.com/index.php?pgid=5

Zeds
Gestalt
Buy from Zeds on eBay

Postby chuckdawg1999 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:20 pm

Motto: "The man, the myth, the legend... yeah right."
Weapon: Saber Blade
I wonder if this is also in response to sellers having to insert plugs into any and all Megatrons to sell them online. That's a thought; 5 to 10 years down the line how will these reissue Megatrons be graded?
chuckdawg1999
Matrix Keeper
News Credits: 317
Watch chuckdawg1999 on YouTube
Buy from chuckdawg1999 on eBay
Strength: 10
Intelligence: 10
Speed: 10
Endurance: 10
Firepower: 10
Skill: 10

Postby Narc » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:02 pm

It does make life easier for us collectors... but the thing is for some people, like me, the MISB is still the holy grail. I still prefer these hard to find "perfect" items to be sent to the AFA. To me it doesn't seem right to send an open item for grading... with the exception of Lucky Draw items of course.
Narc
Combiner
News Credits: 7

Postby ultra_magus » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:30 am

Motto: "Mercy? You want mercy?! I'M CHAOTIC NEUTRAL!!"
Weapon: Arm-Mounted Magnetic-Lock Destabilizer Cannon
*sigh* I have not a single Transformer I have not removed from the box. I know they may be valuable EVENTUALY, but I've just gotta play with the little suckers! :sad:
Mercy? You want MERCY?! I'M CHAOTIC NEUTRAL!!
ultra_magus
Minibot
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 6
Courage: 9
Firepower: 7
Skill: 5

Postby Nickolai » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:02 am

Weapon: Battle Blades
I'm not entirely familiar with the process, but don't they cut open even sealed product to verify its authenticity and condition? So, technically, every MISB toy you submit to AFA comes back just MIB. This isn't much of an announcement then anyway, since if you have a Megatron that simply wasn't taped back in the day or whose tape has rotted'peeled off, yet never played with the figure inside, they will be able to prove it thorugh their secret technique.

Freedom is the right of all sentient MISBeings.
Nickolai
Headmaster
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Courage: 7
Firepower: 4
Skill: 9

Postby GuyIncognito » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:39 am

chuckdawg1999 wrote:I wonder if this is also in response to sellers having to insert plugs into any and all Megatrons to sell them online. That's a thought; 5 to 10 years down the line how will these reissue Megatrons be graded?

That's what I was going to ask: Does this have something to do with the fact that Megatron has to be opened to have his plug inserted when you import it?
GuyIncognito
Faction Commander
News Credits: 12
Buy from GuyIncognito on eBay

Postby afashockwave » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:22 am

Nickolai wrote:I'm not entirely familiar with the process, but don't they cut open even sealed product to verify its authenticity and condition? So, technically, every MISB toy you submit to AFA comes back just MIB. This isn't much of an announcement then anyway, since if you have a Megatron that simply wasn't taped back in the day or whose tape has rotted'peeled off, yet never played with the figure inside, they will be able to prove it thorugh their secret technique.

That's not at all how AFA grades a sealed transformer. If a figure is sent in to AFA sealed, it stays sealed. They don't open it for grading. After grading, it is encased in acrylic still sealed. If it ever becomes unsealed in the case, it is still considered MISB (the grade stands as long as figure stays sealed in acrylic). This is big news (though it has been known for several weeks if you subscribe to the newsletter or frequent the website). If a figure would have been previously rejected because the factory tape seal could not be verified, now it would qualify for grading under this tier. As it seems, fewer figs will be rejected and returned ungraded. This will hopefully eliminate alot of collector frustration that AFA took their money but didn't grade the figure (rejected figures are still charged full price).
afashockwave
Mini-Con

Postby Zeds » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:08 am

afashockwave wrote:That's not at all how AFA grades a sealed transformer. If a figure is sent in to AFA sealed, it stays sealed. They don't open it for grading. After grading, it is encased in acrylic still sealed. If it ever becomes unsealed in the case, it is still considered MISB (the grade stands as long as figure stays sealed in acrylic). This is big news. If a figure would have been previously rejected because the factory tape seal could not be verified, now it would qualify for grading under this tier. As it seems, fewer figs will be rejected and returned ungraded. This will hopefully eliminate alot of collector frustration that AFA took their money but didn't grade the figure (rejected figures are still charged full price).

QFT! Most frustrated owners will no longer be frustrated with this change.

Zeds
Gestalt
Buy from Zeds on eBay

Return to Transformers Toys Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "EVAC Transformers Cybertron Legends of Cybertron complete Hasbro 2005 230719A"
EVAC Transformers ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OPTIMUS PRIME Transformers Cybertron Legends of Cybertron complete 2005 220813A"
OPTIMUS PRIME Tran ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "LEOBREAKER Transformers Cybertron Voyager complete Cyber Key vg08 2005 231101A"
LEOBREAKER Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "STREET ACTION MINI-CON TEAM Transformers Armada complete Perceptor 2002 231209A"
STREET ACTION MINI ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "RED ALERT Transformers Cybertron Burger King Fast Food Premium 2005 230719A"
RED ALERT Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MINI-CON SKYBOOM Transformers Attacktix Energon complete Hasbro 2006 230427C"
MINI-CON SKYBOOM T ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SCOURGE Transformers Legacy Velocitron Speedia 500 RID Leader Hasbro 2022 New"
SCOURGE Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "STREET SPEED MINI-CON TEAM Transformers Armada complete Hasbro 2002 231209A"
STREET SPEED MINI- ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "LAND MILITARY MINI-CON TEAM Transformers Armada complete Hasbro 2002 231209A"
LAND MILITARY MINI ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "LANDMINE Transformers Cybertron deluxe complete + dr94 key Hasbro 2005 231102A"
LANDMINE Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SMOKESCREEN Transformers Armada McDonald's Happy Meal Fast Food 2002 210811A"
SMOKESCREEN Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "STARSCREAM Transformers Armada McDonald's Happy Meal Fast Food 2002 211006A"
STARSCREAM Transfo ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "MEGATRON Transformers Cybertron Legends of Cybertron complete 2005 220813A"
MEGATRON Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SCAVENGER + ROLLBAR Transformers Armada Max-Con complete 2002 231209A"
SCAVENGER + ROLLBA ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #348 - Uno
Twincast / Podcast #348:
"Uno"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 20th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Roadtrap" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM-03 Movie 10th Anniversary Figure Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Rippersnapper" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Solus Prime Prime Master" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Power of the Primes Punch-Counterpunch and Prima Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of the Primes Titan Class Predaking" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Swoop" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Decepticon Octone and Murk" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Titan Master Skytread" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Legends Class Skrapnel" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titans Return Nucleon and Galvatron" on AMAZON