This page contains affiliate links. We may earn commissions when readers interact with or purchase items through these links. For more information, see our affiliate disclosures here.

Oberphones Presents "Hommage à Skywarp"

There is more to Transformers than movies, cartoons, comics and toys. Discuss anything else Transformers here.

Oberphones Presents "Hommage à Skywarp"

Postby First Gen » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:13 am

Motto: "Til All Are One."
Weapon: Dual Laser Cannon
Design writer Christopher Wilson has just sent us information on a unique piece of art that's now available. This new work is a tribute to one of the original Transformers seekers, Skywarp.

Hommage à Skywarp is a new poster-broadsheet designed and published by Oberphones in tribute to Skywarp, one of the first Transformers issued by Hasbro in 1984. The homage takes the form of an A4-format broadsheet which folds out into an A2-format (420 x 594 mm) poster. The broadsheet (plane form) side includes a series of four specially-written texts by design writer Christopher Wilson, exploring the cultural background of his purchase of Skywarp in early 1985 and the state of department store culture at the time; Skywarp's standing among his rivals in the Transformers range; and finally an anecdote of Skywarp's 'tech spec' characteristics. The poster (robot form) side comprises a graphic portrait of the Decepticon, based on the silhouette of the 1984 box illustration, and incorporating new photographs of the original model.

Hommage à Skywarp is now available for purchase at a low cost of £10.00 with free postage and handling for shipping within the UK. Check out the original listing for this art piece here.
newsig by sserrano03, on Flickr

http://forallmankind.wordpress.com/

Follow me on Twitter, unlike most, I'm interesting :)

Http://twitter.com/stevenrocks5937
First Gen
Faction Commander
News Credits: 1014
Watch First Gen on YouTube
Buy from First Gen on eBay
Alt Mode: A Truck
Strength: 8
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 6
Endurance: 8
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7
Skill: 10

Re: Oberphones Presents "Hommage à Skywarp"

Postby Tekka » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:30 am

Motto: "I'm grade-A, 100% prime-cut final boss! I'm going to take over the world any day now!"
Weapon: Multi-Function Sword
As much as I love Skywarp, this is a bit "meh". =/
Tekka
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 2

Postby SJ21 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:45 am

Motto: "You don't know because you can't see me. Then you are dead."
Weapon: Sniper Rifle
That is an odd thing to have up for sale. I can't say I fully understand the reasoning behind that. Odd.
Check out my collection!

the-sj21-collection-t96905.php
SJ21
Godmaster
Strength: ???
Intelligence: ???
Speed: ???
Endurance: ???
Courage: ???
Firepower: 10

Postby Psychout » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:13 am

Motto: "This post clearly was meant to offend, and if you are affected by it in any way please close your browser and discuss it with someone who knows not to take the internet seriously."
Weapon: Black Magic
Weird Seeker fanboys are Weird
“I like to think that my arrogance, impetuosity,
impatience, selfishness and greed are the qualities
that make me the lovable chap I am.”
Psychout
HMW Moderator
News Credits: 42
Alt Mode: Cassette. The 80s ROCKED
Strength: 1
Intelligence: 1
Speed: 1
Endurance: 1
Courage: 1
Firepower: 1

Postby Editor » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:18 am

Motto: ""I'm not even supposed to be here today!""
Weapon: Shotgun
It's a wierd piece, but it's cool in an artsy way.
http://www.seibertron.com/heavymetalwar/team_view.php?id=27919
Once I ran an Anime festival with over 6,000 attendees. Now... not so much.
Editor
City Commander
News Credits: 9
Watch Editor on YouTube
Buy from Editor on eBay
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 8
Speed: 7
Courage: 7
Firepower: 4
Skill: 6

Postby Starscream » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:30 pm

Weapon: Null-Ray Rifle
Don't be fooled just because this is Transformers related - This is complete @#$!@#%!

EDIT: By Staff for inappropriate language.
Starscream
Targetmaster
News Credits: 16
Watch Starscream on YouTube
Buy from Starscream on eBay
Speed: 10
Endurance: 4
Firepower: 8
Skill: 9

Postby Dead Metal » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:34 pm

Motto: "Don't do drugs, beer's cheaper anyway!"
Starscream wrote:Don't be fooled just because this is Transformers related - This is complete bullshit!

No it's not while I do think it's really odd it is quite creative. It's just one of those things artists some times do to show off. But why the hell this is sold is just beyond me it's more like something you'd see in a gallery. Nothing I would buy.

Jeep! wrote:Why do I imagine Dead Metal sounding exactly like Arnie?
Intah-wib-buls?

Blurrz wrote:10/10

Leave it to Dead Metal to have the word 'Pronz' in his signature.
Dead Metal
God Of Transformers
News Credits: 767

Postby Tekka » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:43 pm

Motto: "I'm grade-A, 100% prime-cut final boss! I'm going to take over the world any day now!"
Oh and Black Jacks are disgusting. How can people eat that stuff? =x
Tekka
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Editor » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:47 pm

Motto: ""I'm not even supposed to be here today!""
Weapon: Shotgun
I agree with DM.

Just because this piece is not going to appeal to all of us, it is not automaticly crap, and it is quite interesting. How many threads are out there based on "what was your first Transformer?" or "Who's your favorite?" This is no different in that the artist clearly connects with Skywarp, and has gone as far to create this.

In a ways it's no different that writing a Skywarp fanfic or kitbashing/repainting a figure, the only difference is that he has the means to attempt to make a profit from his work.

or "Starscream" are you taking offence that someone would base the piece on a seeker other than your namesake? if so, That is just sad.

@ Tekka, wouldn'y know never tried them, but are they something Skywarp would eat?
http://www.seibertron.com/heavymetalwar/team_view.php?id=27919
Once I ran an Anime festival with over 6,000 attendees. Now... not so much.
Editor
City Commander
News Credits: 9
Watch Editor on YouTube
Buy from Editor on eBay
Speed: 7
Courage: 7
Firepower: 4
Skill: 6

Postby Tekka » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:52 pm

My Skywarp would never eat Black Jacks. :P Or any other liquorice or liquorice flavour product. As we all know, he is in to grape flavour jellied candies. :lol:
Tekka
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Megatron Wolf » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:53 pm

Motto: "Cry havoc and let slip the Wolves of War, Vae Victus!"
Weapon: Saber Blade
What the hell?
Current TF count: 2042

Megatron Wolf
Faction Commander
News Credits: 8
Strength: 7
Intelligence: 9
Speed: 8
Endurance: 10+
Courage: 10
Firepower: 7

Postby gitanes » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:55 pm

Dead Metal wrote:No it's not while I do think it's really odd it is quite creative. It's just one of those things artists some times do to show off. But why the hell this is sold is just beyond me it's more like something you'd see in a gallery. Nothing I would buy.

Why is it "odd" for art prints and posters to be sold? Yes, they're sold in galleries. And online and elsewhere.
gitanes
Mini-Con

Postby Tekka » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:57 pm

I think DM was implying the concept was odd, not the fact a poster dare be sold.
Tekka
Guardian Of Seibertron

Postby Dead Metal » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:09 pm

gitanes wrote:
Dead Metal wrote:No it's not while I do think it's really odd it is quite creative. It's just one of those things artists some times do to show off. But why the hell this is sold is just beyond me it's more like something you'd see in a gallery. Nothing I would buy.

Why is it "odd" for art prints and posters to be sold? Yes, they're sold in galleries. And online and elsewhere.

No I mean sold as in mass produced and sold in the way it is. This looks more like something from a scratch book the artist would show off and not print and mass release.

Intah-wib-buls?

Dead Metal
God Of Transformers

Postby gitanes » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:12 pm

I still don't see what the problem is, though. (From reading the Oberphones page, it looks like at least some of the appeal is in the print work, which we obviously aren't going to appreciate from some web pic.)

Editor's analogy with kitbashes seems a good comparison: a kitbash or a piece of TF-related art might or might not be to my taste, but I don't sit thinking "How odd that this guy's done that." Sure, I haven't seen anything quite like this before in relation to Transformers, but if somebody wants to discuss TF in a new way and maybe to a new audience, that doesn't offend me. Quite the opposite.
gitanes
Mini-Con

Postby Dead Metal » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:22 pm

gitanes wrote:I still don't see what the problem is, though. (From reading the Oberphones page, it looks like at least some of the appeal is in the print work, which we obviously aren't going to appreciate from some web pic.)

I just see this with different eyes then. If I make such a personal piece of artwork that is basically an artistic tribute to a character I would want people to see it but wouldn't want to copy it numerous times and sell those copies. This piece looks more like something that is not for sale that is all.
Strange that the first post you ever do on this forum is in this topic quoting me and telling me that my believe of this being an odd artwork for a poster is wrong. Could you be the artist? :-?

Intah-wib-buls?

Dead Metal
God Of Transformers

Postby gitanes » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:31 pm

No – in fact I'm not an artist at all. I do like Skywarp, though.
gitanes
Mini-Con

Postby ponycorn » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:46 pm

This looks like it belongs just at this guy's house on his private Skywarp fanboy alter. Too personal of an item for the general public to pick up.
In a place such as this, you are the perfect prey for a brest animal!
ponycorn
Gestalt Team Leader

Postby Dark Monkelus » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:44 pm

well, that's clever...

Not really, but me pretending it was is as clever as it wishes it was. Now I can't wait til someone does something as 'out-there' and art skool crazy as drawing Optimus Prime in Biro. Crazy cool cats, what will they think of next?!

To summarise; I think it's rubbish:)
Dark Monkelus
Mini-Con

Postby Stormrider » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:01 pm

Weapon: Atom-Smasher Cannon
I don't understand the application for this. Do you hang it on the wall? Does it stand up? My first impression is that it was meant to be a trapper keeper.
Stormrider
Guardian Of Seibertron
News Credits: 409

Postby Dread_Wing » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:31 pm

Motto: "We Decepticons are a swell bunch. And boy do we have fun!"
Weapon: Laser-Guided Electro-Kinetic Blasters
Weird, I wonder if they used the right tech specs... Didn't Skywarp come with Starcream's tech specs, and Thundercracker with Skywarp's?
Dread_Wing
Headmaster Jr
News Credits: 3

Return to Transformers General Discussion

Transformers and More @ The Seibertron Store

Visit our store on eBay
These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K25 WINGFINGER Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe Hasbro 2021 New"
WFC-K25 WINGFINGER ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "LEO PRIME Transformers Legacy Evolution Voyager Maximal Hasbro 2023 New/IN STOCK"
LEO PRIME Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "METROPLEX Transformers Legacy Cybertron Universe Titan Class Hasbro 2022 New"
METROPLEX Transfor ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K21 SOUNDWAVE Transformers War for Cybertron Kingdom Core Hasbro 2021 New"
WFC-K21 SOUNDWAVE ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "WFC-K23 PREDACON SCORPONOK Transformers War Cybertron Kingdom Deluxe 2021 New"
WFC-K23 PREDACON S ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SHADOWSTRIP Transformers Legacy Velocitron Speedia 500 Collection Deluxe G2 New"
SHADOWSTRIP Transf ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "OVERRIDE Transformers Legacy Velocitron Speedia 500 Voyager 2022 New 231203A"
OVERRIDE Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TRANSMETAL II MEGATRON Transformers Legacy Evolution Leader Beast Wars New"
TRANSMETAL II MEGA ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SCOURGE Transformers Legacy Velocitron Speedia 500 RID Leader Hasbro 2022 New"
SCOURGE Transforme ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BURN OUT Transformers Legacy Velocitron Speedia 500 Diaclone Deluxe 2022"
BURN OUT Transform ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BWVS-04 TIGATRON + BLACKARACHNIA Transformers Beast Wars Again Kingdom Hasbro"
BWVS-04 TIGATRON + ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "BWVS-03 CHEETOR + WASPINATOR Transformers Beast Wars Again Kingdom Hasbro 2024"
BWVS-03 CHEETOR + ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "SKIDS Transformers Legacy Deluxe G1 Universe Hasbro 2022 New"
NEW!
SKIDS Transformers ...
Visit shop.seibertron.com to buy "TASMANIA KID Transformers Legacy United Core Class Hasbro 2024 New"
TASMANIA KID Trans ...
* Price and quantities subject to change. Shipping costs, taxes and other fees not included in cost shown. Refer to listing for current price and availability.
Find the items above and thousands more at the Seibertron Store on eBay
Transformers Podcast: Twincast / Podcast #347 - Swooped In
Twincast / Podcast #347:
"Swooped In"
MP3 · iTunes · RSS · View · Discuss · Ask
Posted: Saturday, April 6th, 2024

Featured Products on Amazon.com

These are affiliate links. We may earn commissions when you purchase items or services through these links.
Buy "Transformers: Bumblebee -- Energon Igniters Nitro Series Barricade" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Authentics Bumblebee" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers MPM04 Optimus Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Terrorcon Cutthroat" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Power of the Primes Deluxe Class Autobot Novastar" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Studio Series 13 Voyager Class Movie 2 Megatron" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Power of the Primes Punch-Counterpunch and Prima Prime" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dinobot Slug" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Titan Masters Overboard Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Deluxe Titans Return Autobots Throttle and Breakaway Action Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Deluxe Class Mirage Figure" on AMAZON
Buy "Transformers: Generations Power of The Primes Deluxe Class Dreadwind" on AMAZON